• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Caminho Portugues - I'm on the way!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Looking forward to hearing about your journey. We are headed that way May 4!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’ll be joining you in a month on my very first. Good luck and have fun!

Very good! I'm doing it in April. It will be good to hear how you get on and if everything is open again. Enjoy your walk 😊

In 11 hours, I will start my walk. Porto has good weather today, still no rain as forecasted. I shall keep my journey posted.
Bom Caminho I’m in Carvoeiro resting up and walking the Algarve cliffs before restarting my Camino Central from Porto on March 22. We’ll have rain bit it’s warm vs Ottawa. bTW: masks for indoor spaces but NO VACCINATION certificate checking r Covid testing needed anywhere!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Day 1

Not sure i am doing it right by starting a new thread. Or I should continue with last posting.
Anyway, it was strong wind all day with 70% rain. Surprised at the amount of wood walkway now. I say 60% along the whole coast line after Motashino. Amenities are plenty. No public washroom opened yet even around 11 am. But washroom inside fish market just b4 the bridge in Motashinhos and inside tourists info. Met a German couple with their 5 month daughters. Had a chocolate shot, one of the best.

Attachments

• 20220312_153636.jpg
    20220312_153636.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220312_115216.jpg
    20220312_115216.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • 20220312_120340.jpg
    20220312_120340.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure i am doing it right by starting a new thread. Or I should continue with last posting.
Anyway, it was strong wind all day with 70% rain. Surprised at the amount of wood walkway now. I say 60% along the whole coast line after Motashino. Amenities are plenty. No public washroom opened yet even around 11 am. But washroom inside fish market just b4 the bridge in Motashinhos and inside tourists info. Met a German couple with their 5 month daughters. Had a chocolate shot, one of the best.
Left my converter in Porto. Lucky my roommate and the HI helped out, thank u.

Attachments

• 20220312_110543.mp4
    42.2 MB
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Day 2

Sunday March 13, 2022. Wanting to attend an early Mass in Vila do Conde but 10am is late. Arriving Igreja Paroquial de Nosso by 9:30 am, dropped in and got stamped. (Should have stayed). Then journey began with an everlasting sandy beach and crushing waves. I felt Atlanta ocean is above where I stood. Thanks for gravity, water didn't rush ashore. WC are closed and water spot not operational. But plenty of Cafe opened until Aguçadoura. Again a very distance of wooden walk (thanks to those who built them). Stayed at Apulia for a children's choir concert supporting Ukraine war victims. It rained heavily during the concert. Came across 8 pilgrims in 3 groups, all new faces today. Weather was quite warm with the sun, windy but i had only 20% light drizzle.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Day 3 took almost 10 hrs and 7 hrs moving, Strava tracked 35km to Costella, from Ofir and a big loop around fireman's hall at Esponsende. Not too windy by the water, and even calmer entering 'inland' after Mariners, considering i can still crashing waves from vantage pts. Local lady gave 2 mandarins fresh off her trees. Yum yum. Hit some elevations today, not huge but short steep slopes. Looks like Everest when I was tired. On top, host was not at hostel, nor answering phone. Another guest, after translation from a passersby, let me in. Went out again getting food. Breaker kept tripping when I was baking the pizza. BTW, I got no data signal all day. My wife not hearing from me wanted to report me missing. Looking fwd for more adventure ahead. Bom Caminho to everyone out here.

Day 3 took almost 10 hrs and 7 hrs moving, Strava tracked 35km to Costella, from Ofir and a big loop around fireman's hall at Esponsende. Not too windy by the water, and even calmer entering 'inland' after Mariners, considering i can still crashing waves from vantage pts. Local lady gave 2 mandarins fresh off her trees. Yum yum. Hit some elevations today, not huge but short steep slopes. Looks like Everest when I was tired. On top, host was not at hostel, nor answering phone. Another guest, after translation from a passersby, let me in. Went out again getting food. Breaker kept tripping when I was baking the pizza. BTW, I got no data signal all day. My wife not hearing from me wanted to report me missing. Looking fwd for more adventure ahead. Bon Caminho to everyone out here.

Attachments

• 20220314_081401.jpg
    20220314_081401.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20220314_084052.jpg
    20220314_084052.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 20220314_092607.jpg
    20220314_092607.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220314_110647.jpg
    20220314_110647.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 20220314_132605.jpg
    20220314_132605.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220314_163826.jpg
    20220314_163826.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 4 started with a bad bang. Started Costella to Caminha along the coast. After 90 minutes, need to return to fletch my camera. Lucky to hitched back in a passing car.
Finally start day 4, inland. Quick climb up to hill side, pleasant but already tired. Walked towards many pretty estate the next 15 km. The guard dogs were aggressive on behalf of their estate owners. Many working fountains after the first hill. Expect to ascend up to Alto, after crossing rio Canabera (sic). Climb was not bad and short. Descend is quick gentle. The last leg towards Moledo is long and boring and forever. So tired i took a break b4 entering Caminha.

Finally start day 4, inland. Quick climb up to hill side, pleasant but already tired. Walked towards many pretty estate the next 15 km. The guard dogs were aggressive on behalf of their estate owners. Many working fountains after the first hill. Expect to ascend up to Alto, after crossing rio Canabera (sic). Climb was not bad and short. Descend is quick gentle. The last leg towards Moledo is long and boring and forever. So tired i took a break b4 entering Caminha.

Attachments

• 20220315_110101.jpg
    20220315_110101.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 20220315_113920.jpg
    20220315_113920.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20220315_135256.jpg
    20220315_135256.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 28
  • 20220315_142636.jpg
    20220315_142636.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 20220315_144545.jpg
    20220315_144545.jpg
    919.2 KB · Views: 32
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nice pictures

I try to follow you on the map and I think you are between Viana do Castelo and Caminha but the place and river you mention do not appeal to me Although I know the area pretty well.

Rio Canabera ? Moledo ? I know there is a praia do Moledo. Moledo beach .
And I understand you followed the waymarkers into the hills instead of following the waymarkers close to the beaches.
I walked both but found that the track into the hills was very muddy and slippery during and after rainfall so second time I followed the the coastline directly which indeed as you said was slightly boring.But was o.k. Specially in Vila Praia de Âncora with lots of restaurants and bars for food and a meal and a good rest.

Bom caminho

Nice pictures

I try to follow you on the map and I think you are between Viana do Castelo and Caminha but the place and river you mention do not appeal to me Although I know the area pretty well.

Rio Canabera ? Moledo ? I know there is a praia do Moledo. Moledo beach .
And I understand you followed the waymarkers into the hills instead of following the waymarkers close to the beaches.
I walked both but found that the track into the hills was very muddy and slippery during and after rainfall so second time I followed the the coastline directly which indeed as you said was slightly boring.But was o.k. Specially in Vila Praia de Âncora with lots of restaurants and bars for food and a meal and a good rest.

Bom caminho
I tried to recall the river that's south of mt Alto. Moledo is on the flat on north side. Route along the hill was dry most way. At least one can walk through without getting. There was a 10 feet path full of water on the flat, thus wet shoes and feet.

I tried to recall the river that's south of mt Alto. Moledo is on the flat on north side. Route along the hill was dry most way. At least one can walk through without getting. There was a 10 feet path full of water on the flat, thus wet shoes and feet.
On day 5, I took the ecovia route along the river. Nice picnic area and quiet. Over the 10 plus km. I came across only 6 people. BTW, to stay on evovia, ignore the waymarker 'access' at Moto Beach. Just keep going fwd to join a new section of the ecovia.

Attachments

• 20220316_101915.jpg
    20220316_101915.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So far I didn't have totally seating together dinner yet. Came close at Bom Caminha, a private albergue, where I joined in for a salad. V few guests and everyone were tired, making a meal together are not easy. Nice there at Bom Caminha. HI at vila do Conde is new. HI at Ofir is an older but good building, got a pool and a communal kitchen that needs some stocking up of equipment. Here at Alvorada Medivel also has a pool, lots of open space, small country inn style with a restaurant plus bar. Hosts set it up after their Camino. Pilgrimage meal was good.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
(After day 4 & 5) Day 6 & 7 were more manageable. Weather were nice, some sun, no precipitation and not hot. Both Valenca and Tui could be quick passer by, except the Tui cathedral of Santa Maria. It has gorgeous interior architectural arches and beams. Cross the border bridge on the north side for a better view of the cathedral from afar. I started day 7 with a Lidl warm pastel de nata for €0.33. I met more new pilgrims, a German couple and a Dane, we all are about the same age and pace. I also met a Korean who is a resident at a Cleveland hospital. It was the shortest trip and arrived Redondo b4 1pm. Wow, first time sightseeing at a destination city. And time for actual cooking. I put together a pasta with frozen paella seafood mix.

Attachments

• 20220317_113805.jpg
    20220317_113805.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220317_113734.jpg
    20220317_113734.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20220318_090223.jpg
    20220318_090223.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220318_094010.jpg
    20220318_094010.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220318_110050.jpg
    20220318_110050.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220318_120546.jpg
    20220318_120546.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220318_112847.jpg
    20220318_112847.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 20220318_182149.jpg
    20220318_182149.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
(After day 4 & 5) Day 6 & 7 were more manageable. Weather were nice, some sun, no precipitation and not hot. Both Valenca and Tui could be quick passer by, except the Tui cathedral of Santa Maria. It has gorgeous interior architectural arches and beams. Cross the border bridge on the north side for a better view of the cathedral from afar. I started day 7 with a Lidl warm pastel de nata for €0.33. I met more new pilgrims, a German couple and a Dane, we all are about the same age and pace. I also met a Korean who is a resident at a Cleveland hospital. It was the shortest trip and arrived Redondo b4 1pm. Wow, first time sightseeing at a destination city. And time for actual cooking. I put together a pasta with frozen paella seafood mix.
BTW, it was a long steep descend after
BTW, it was a long steep descend from vilar da infesta.

Attachments

• 20220318_115952.jpg
    20220318_115952.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you following my posts.
Day 8, is borderline hot. As usual I chose the cooler alternate route, (like ecovia to Caminha, country road to Perrino, river to Redodela). They are a bit longer but often 50% shaded. Pontevedra got good sighg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you following my posts.
Day 8, is borderline hot. As usual I chose the cooler alternate route, (like ecovia to Caminha, country road to Perrino, river to Redodela). They are a bit longer but often 50% shaded. Pontevedra got good sighg
got good sightseeing route. Both real basilica de Santa Maria and La Peregrina has wonderful architectural

After day 8, I was more tired than usual. Kept falling asleep while posting. Sorry for gibberish. Now, onto day 9, going up 450m day. Weather was good. The turn off to the Spiritual Variant is 3.3 km from Santa Maria church, v obvious signage. Going straight up from Combarro and sun was burning. The v steep part lasted about 100m, switch backs thru the small community. The more gentle slope is much longer. Going down from the summit is over 3km to the municipal albergue Armentier. I visited the church. Found nobody at the hostel. I whatsapp the host as instructed, msg sent, no response for 30 minutes. It was getting late, so I moved on. (I missed the 1900 hrs pilgrim benediction at the church). 30 minutes going down along the river valley. Hostel replied to give me instruction to enter. I am v far down and did not climb back up. I finished v late. In case u booked that albergue, I suggest u whatsapp the host an hour ahead. BTW, data signal v weak up in the mountain.

Attachments

• 20220320_084614.jpg
    20220320_084614.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 20220320_092722.jpg
    20220320_092722.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
After day 8, I was more tired than usual. Kept falling asleep while posting. Sorry for gibberish. Now, onto day 9, going up 450m day. Weather was good. The turn off to the Spiritual Variant is 3.3 km from Santa Maria church, v obvious signage. Going straight up from Combarro and sun was burning. The v steep part lasted about 100m, switch backs thru the small community. The more gentle slope is much longer. Going down from the summit is over 3km to the municipal albergue Armentier. I visited the church. Found nobody at the hostel. I whatsapp the host as instructed, msg sent, no response for 30 minutes. It was getting late, so I moved on. (I missed the 1900 hrs pilgrim benediction at the church). 30 minutes going down along the river valley. Hostel replied to give me instruction to enter. I am v far down and did not climb back up. I finished v late. In case u booked that albergue, I suggest u whatsapp the host an hour ahead. BTW, data signal v weak up in the mountain.
Day 10 and 11 postings come very late. In fact I am back home in UK already. The delay is because I need a new phone to go online. Yes. I dropped my phone after my last train and when I was running to catch the 22:55 city bus. Phone was gone. So were 2600 pictures I took during the 19 days in Spain and Portugal. Oh well. May be a sign that I go on another pilgrimage.

€149,-
Day 10 and 11 postings come very late. In fact I am back home in UK already. The delay is because I need a new phone to go online. Yes. I dropped my phone after my last train and when I was running to catch the 22:55 city bus. Phone was gone. So were 2600 pictures I took during the 19 days in Spain and Portugal. Oh well. May be a sign that I go on another pilgrimage.

Here's day 10. Tried to arrange a ferry crossing from Vilanova, nothing today and iffy tmr. So I started at 6:30 walking 10km to Vilagracie, took train for 2 stops to Pontecesures, €2.1 fare. Walked on from there to Padron, sat at the big long plaza for lunch, v few people at noon even on a bright sunny day. Passing crosses in the nooks and crannies of small villages. Met people coming the opposite way to Fatima. Besides burning plastics near the track, The Way in this section is straight fwd. Going upward to Millodorie is long, not gentle, not steep, just took forever. That's where I would decamp before Santiago. Bought a cartoon of chufa (tiger nuts) drink. Drank half right outside the store. It was another 500m steep walk to the muni albergue. Just 3 of us occupied the hostel for 40. V nice set up, lots of sitting area and spacious between bunks. The other 2 came from LA, and I shared their paella.

Here's day 10. Tried to arrange a ferry crossing from Vilanova, nothing today and iffy tmr. So I started at 6:30 walking 10km to Vilagracie, took train for 2 stops to Pontecesures, €2.1 fare. Walked on from there to Padron, sat at the big long plaza for lunch, v few people at noon even on a bright sunny day. Passing crosses in the nooks and crannies of small villages. Met people coming the opposite way to Fatima. Besides burning plastics near the track, The Way in this section is straight fwd. Going upward to Millodorie is long, not gentle, not steep, just took forever. That's where I would decamp before Santiago. Bought a cartoon of chufa (tiger nuts) drink. Drank half right outside the store. It was another 500m steep walk to the muni albergue. Just 3 of us occupied the hostel for 40. V nice set up, lots of sitting area and spacious between bunks. The other 2 came from LA, and I shared their paella.
Day 11. Booked my flight b4 brekki. 5pm departure. It worked good for to me finish last short stretch in good spirit, rather than too tired. It was near 2 hrs b4 I arrived the cathedral Square. I took the Santa Martha route but missed the entry towards the monument. Main Street in Santa Martha was busy especially near university. The park nearby was pretty too. The cathedral plaza was next to empty at 9am. Cloudy and a slight drizzle. All together 5 Camino arrivals. After numerous memorable pictures (now gone), I looked for the compostela office. It's right next to the post office behind the cathedral. That place has 5 staff there to handle large crowd. Still, morning is the best time to go. Spent the next 3 hours within 500m of the cathedral. Bought a bolillos (bobbin lace) tablecloth. Took bus to airport.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Day 11. Booked my flight b4 brekki. 5pm departure. It worked good for to me finish last short stretch in good spirit, rather than too tired. It was near 2 hrs b4 I arrived the cathedral Square. I took the Santa Martha route but missed the entry towards the monument. Main Street in Santa Martha was busy especially near university. The park nearby was pretty too. The cathedral plaza was next to empty at 9am. Cloudy and a slight drizzle. All together 5 Camino arrivals. After numerous memorable pictures (now gone), I looked for the compostela office. It's right next to the post office behind the cathedral. That place has 5 staff there to handle large crowd. Still, morning is the best time to go. Spent the next 3 hours within 500m of the cathedral. Bought a bolillos (bobbin lace) tablecloth. Took bus to airport.
Just one more thing. There are many large and small communities along the way, with garbage bins every 30 minutes or so. Please don't throw the mandarin peels and plastic drink bottles around. Bye bye and thanks for following.

Just one more thing. There are many large and small communities along the way, with garbage bins every 30 minutes or so. Please don't throw the mandarin peels and plastic drink bottles around. Bye bye and thanks for following.
Also. Surgical face masks go to garbage can. If u want to mark the ending of covid by hanging masks on trees, please use the unused ones.

Thank you for sharing your journey. I am very sorry to hear about the photos. Your walk was very interesting and has me excited for my in April. Im glad you made it home safely.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Since I lost my phone SD, anyone knows how to get the pictures I posted here, back in jpeg format?
@Ho ming chan is there any possibility that your phone backed up your photos to the cloud? Ours backs up to Google Photos. Did you have anything similar?

When I click on your photos on the computer, I have an option up in the right toolbar to download them as a jpg file.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On your next Camino, you may want to look into how to have your photos back up to the cloud when you have available WiFi. As I mentioned earlier, ours back up to Google Photos, but there are probably alternatives that techy people here on the forum could identify. Our settings automatically send the photos to the cloud when we reach somewhere that we have wifi so you might only lose a day or two of photos if rather than a whole trip. I am sad for your loss. 😢 Glad you may be able to recover a few photos here.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...
Day 3 was another wonderful day spent along the coast. I planned a short day so I could meander and explore Vila do Conde which did not disappoint! The day included walking on boardwalks and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back