Camino de Madrid March 2018

2018 edition Camino Guides

jsalt

Jill
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte
Hi, I’m planning on starting from the Plaza de Santiago in Madrid, from the Church of Santiago & St John the Baptist, on Friday 23 March 2018. Hoping there might be a few other forum members out there to share some Menus del Dia and Tapas Evenings along the way :).
Jill

Last edited:

Advertisment

camino07

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese from Lisbon, VdlP, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP again in 2017
I'll be a couple of weeks behind you.

Cliff175

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
April / May Camino Frances 2013
Portuguese Camino May of 2014
St. jean to pomplona, - Santander to Oviedo, SAN Salvador to Leon , to Santiago in 2015
2017 March -- VDLP Seville to Santiago
Hi, I’m planning on starting from the Plaza de Santiago in Madrid, from the Church of Santiago & St John the Baptist, on Friday 23 March 2018. Hoping there might be a few other forum members out there to share some Menus del Dia and Tapas Evenings along the way :).
Jill
Im leaving on the 2oth of March, I could hold off or a couple days, say 22,. Would you be able to leave on the 22 ?

gracethepilgrim

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
'03CF, '08VdlP, '12Porto, '14VdlP via Port '15CPI ‘17Levante to Toledo
Hi Jill, great to see you’re off again.
I would love to join you but family keeping me grounded at this stage.
I’ve also got the remainder of the Levante from Toledo to get through too ! So many caminos . . . .

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Fran: SJPdP- SdC Sept Oct12
VdlP:Sevilla-SdC Jan Feb15
VdlP:Cáceres-SdC Dec15 Jan16
Mad/Fran Nov17
I have arrived in Bercianos de Real Camino today after completing the CdM. I took Ray y Rosa’s option B.

I have just missed the rain as it is pouring now. It rained last night and the mud reminded me of the VdLP where it adds centimetres to your shoes. Apart from 2 days I was on my own. The bars I came across were lots of fun.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Just after Easter 2018, I hope. Going CM, then to Burgos for Camino San Olav, then Burgos to SdC. That's my plan for now.

jsalt

Jill
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Im leaving on the 2oth of March, I could hold off or a couple days, say 22,. Would you be able to leave on the 22 ?
Hi Cliff, unfortunately my flight only arrives on the 22nd. I have booked a bed at The Hat for that night. Then at VP Jardin in Tres Cantos for the 23rd. I’m flexible from there on.
Jill

jsalt

Jill
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
The bars I came across were lots of fun.
Hi, question to anyone, any particular bars along the way that jump to mind, and which I shouldn’t miss? I do prefer sitting in a bar with a vino tinto writing up my notes for the day, rather than being all alone in the albergue :D.
Jill

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member
Donating Member
Hi, question to anyone, any particular bars along the way that jump to mind, and which I shouldn’t miss? I do prefer sitting in a bar with a vino tinto writing up my notes for the day, rather than being all alone in the albergue :D.
Jill
Hi, Jill,
If the Bar Caribe in Castromonte is open, do not miss it. I believe one forum member passed earlier this year and found it closed. Any updates on Sr. Braulio Martín would be welcome. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-castromonte-bar-owner-now-almost-100.42686/

Donovan

Jill
Jill, when I walked the CdM in May 2015 I met no other peregrinos. I called in solo at many bars and restaurants, and an abiding memory is how well I was received all along the way. I didn’t keep notes on the places visited, but from the memory bank some standout places were: Casa Antigua de Vizcayana in Segovia, a busy place that served good tapas and vino blanco; Villaguillo – there is only one bar in this town and I had an entertaining evening there, as did Kinky1 the year before; La Mielga in Ciguenela – very good people, and a great dinner; Santervas – the couple who run the shop/bar adjacent to the albergue were delightful, and they prepared me a lovely dinner.

Some other places I remember were:
Nava de Asuncion – good lunch at a restaurant behind the Pastellaria Rosana, and a friendly reception and vino tinto at the Bar Bulevar near the albergue
Alcazaren – Bar Real gave a friendly welcome and good food, coffee and wine
Simancas – nice lunch stop at El Buen Sabor on the way through the town
Cuenca de Campos – Meson Cañada. At first sight looked a bit basic, but the lunch was very good

Off topic, I thought the Santuario de la Peregrina on the LHS just as you enter Sahagun well worth a visit. Last few moments of solitude before hitting the CF.

jsalt

Jill
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Thank you so much Laurie and Donovan for the recommendations. I have made handwritten notes on my printed-out maps, which I make use of again at the end of each day, by writing my journal on the back. I have made a note to especially check out Bar Caribe in Castromonte. Thank you for the link, Laurie, very interesting.
Jill

camino07

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese from Lisbon, VdlP, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP again in 2017
Thank you so much Laurie and Donovan for the recommendations. I have made handwritten notes on my printed-out maps, which I make use of again at the end of each day, by writing my journal on the back. I have made a note to especially check out Bar Caribe in Castromonte. Thank you for the link, Laurie, very interesting.
Jill
Jill, I'm looking forward to reading your posts and getting some hints before I start.

jsalt

Jill
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Jill, I'm looking forward to reading your posts and getting some hints before I start.
I’m one of those people who goes offline on camino ;).
So sadly, will not be posting anything here once I leave home :(.
I take a smartphone for:
... emergency calls
... phoning the number on the closed albergue door
... MapsMe if I get lost
... WhatsAp (or text, if no free wifi) with husband, and “camino family”
... taking photos
... and reading books on my Kindle Ap while tucked up in my sleeping bag and everyone else is fast asleep :D.
Jill

camino07

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
I’m one of those people who goes offline on camino ;).
So sadly, will not be posting anything here once I leave home :(.
I take a smartphone for:
... emergency calls
... phoning the number on the closed albergue door
... MapsMe if I get lost
... WhatsAp (or text, if no free wifi) with husband, and “camino family”
... taking photos
... and reading books on my Kindle Ap while tucked up in my sleeping bag and everyone else is fast asleep :D.
Jill
That's a pity for me. Never mind, Buen Camino.

jsalt

Jill
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi, I have seen lots of posts about Easter being very busy with Spanish walkers on the camino routes. I will likely be somewhere around Coca or Alcazarén on Easter weekend. Any thoughts from those who have walked this route about how busy this particular stretch might be? Thanks!
Jill

timr

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Several and counting...
Jill
The bar next to the albergue in Santervás de Campos may be new from what @Donovan mentions - I am not sure. It is physically attached to the albergue but I didn't see any shop. And they look after the albergue - which is surprisingly big, considering how few people do the camino. The bar is called Ñam Ñam (which means yum yum!) and was a very friendly place with a great solid fuel stove. I sat and used the wifi for several hours on a (literally) freezing day. Truly excellent food available in the comedor. And throughout the day the owner brought out tempting delicacies - tiny portions of garlic soup, torreznos etc.
Having said all that, somebody told me it is not always open. But it seemed very popular with locals. There is a social club in the town too. I went to look for at it later in the day (Sunday afternoon) and it had closed though it was open earlier in the day as I came in.

timr

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Several and counting...
Jill
Oh and in Nava de la Asunción the albergue again may be new I think. It is in the polideportivo (and I have supplied a description of how to find it, which is not difficult, in the new edition of CSJ guide by Johnnie Walker). The Hotel Fray Sebastian is directly opposite on the main road and looks rather imposing, and very modern. But in fact, it was full of locals in the afternoon playing cards and shouting cheerily and has a great terrace on to the road. I had snack in the afternoon and a very good value menu del dia in the evening in the bar.Very friendly.

jsalt

Jill
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Thank you so much, all added to my notes!
Jill

camino07

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Excited! I have booked my flight to Madrid on 4th April. Spend two nights in Hostal Alfonso and then start 7th to Tres Cantos VP Jardin. Hope I meet a few pilgrims along the way.

Camino(s) past & future
C Frances x 2 - 2016, 2017
C Portuguese x 2 2016, 2017
C Muxia/Finisterra x 1 2016
C Ingles
Hi Jill

Happy New Year ... jz logged on after been off site for a few weeks! Are we still on with walking and sharing rooms? I think I did mention in the other post that I get into Madrid on 22 March too and am also booked at the Hat..

Am gonna pm you my number so we can whatsapp...

Cheers G x

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member
Donating Member
Hi Ginette, see you at The Hat!
Any other forum members want to tackle the Camino de Madrid starting 23 March? :cool::):D
Jill
Good luck with getting a bigger gaggle, Jill. We have anywhere between 6 and 9 people starting from Almería on April 14. The great thing about having such a "big" number starting on a very solitary camino is that there can be the natural, normal ebb and flow among and between us. Maybe that's selfish of me, but I like the fact that we will all be able to go at our own speed, our own pace, with our own camino idiosyncracies but still know that there are others out there. I have to admit that though I very much like walking alone, I had a couple of pretty lonely days on some recent solitary caminos, so this seems like about the best possible way to walk an untravelled camino but not be totally alone. Surely there are others who will be enticed into walking the lovely Camino de Madrid in late March?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Camino(s) past & future
yes...
ME! I wish I was going with you! o_O

@jsalt ... and others... It's really looking hopeful that I will be able to follow in your footsteps on the 25th April and it looks like my walking buddy might be able to join me too. I am so gutted that I wont be joining you but I will be grateful for any feedback from all you folks that go before :)

jsalt

Jill
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
I have to admit that though I very much like walking alone, I had a couple of pretty lonely days on some recent solitary caminos
Yes, it is good to walk alone, and often do because I prefer it, but I love approaching a café / bar / restaurant and seeing a camino buddy sat there.

The best times are sharing a coffee / beer / meal with another peregrina/o.

Jill

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese 2012' ' Frances 2013' ' Norte 2014' 'Salvadore/Primitivo 2015'
Hi @jsalt and @AcrossTheWater3008
Very tempting to join your small crew leaving Madrid March 23 ?
I have wanted to walk the Madrid, but admit that it’s nice to know there are others ‘about’ that you can meet up with at some part of, or end of stage and not alone in an albergue.

I haven’t booked any flights yet but am investigating possibilities and costs. Taking 23rd as being day 1 from Madrid.
There, I think I have dipped my toe in the water !
I may also pm you for a few details ‘if/when’ I get flights.
Buen Camino
Annie

Last edited:

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Jill and Ginette
.....And now there are 3 ... starting C. Madrid on Friday 23 march.

Flights booked to Madrid from Oz. Done .
Accommodation partially sorted .. that is arrival accommodation is work in progress and confirmed booking for vpjardine de trés cantos on mar23.

Decision feels good
Annie

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member
Donating Member
Jill and Ginette
.....And now there are 3 ... starting C. Madrid on Friday 23 march.

Flights booked to Madrid from Oz. Done .
Accommodation partially sorted .. that is arrival accommodation is work in progress and confirmed booking for vpjardine de trés cantos on mar23.

Decision feels good
Annie
Hi, Annie!

Don't forget the Korean albergue in Madrid. It is actually relatively close to the start of the camino, at least if you are starting in Plaza Castilla. If you plan to start at the church, you probably want to stay somewhere close to Puerta del Sol. So glad the Madrid forum group is growing! I guess there is no chance we will coincide this year, since I'm not starting till mid April and won't even make it to Santiago.

What are your plans once you hit Sahagún? Buen camino, Laurie

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Jill
Hi, Annie!

Don't forget the Korean albergue in Madrid. It is actually relatively close to the start of the camino, at least if you are starting in Plaza Castilla. If you plan to start at the church, you probably want to stay somewhere close to Puerta del Sol. So glad the Madrid forum group is growing! I guess there is no chance we will coincide this year, since I'm not starting till mid April and won't even make it to Santiago.

What are your plans once you hit Sahagún? Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie
Intention is to start together at least. So I’m settled with starting point as in Jill’s message quoted. The church of Santiago and St John the Baptist.

Thanks for reminder about the Korean albergue tho.
I still have to book 2 nights prior to walk. Could end up at ‘The Hat’ but not decided yet.
I found when staying in Madrid for several days in 2016 that I tended to walk everywhere rather than metro. I guess it’s really more sensible on starting day though to be close to starting point, lol.

After that tho ., we wont need to book ahead at that time of year.

Yes ., guess I won’t fluke seeing you again this year. the April walk on Mozarabe looks awesome. It too, piqued my interest. A bit long though.

After Sahagún., (all depends on feet !! And old bones ).. if I’m finding it ok., then I’ll (bus?) to Ponferrada, and walk the Invierno. I have time available but haven’t set my expectations too high.

Only need to get to Budapest by April 20 ( for a non camino tour). I have to balance out the addiction to Spain and wanting to visit USA (family) with seeing other parts.

So guessing if approx days to do both Cam Madrid to Sahagún and hop to start point Invierno > Sdc may be 25??
I haven’t really got a clue how slowly I’ll take it. But if it’s in that neighbourhood; I’m ok with possibly extra time built in. If my feet aren’t happy., lots of other choices after ending camino Madrid.

Only problem that’s on my mind is : I would usually like to post on a parcel of extra travel things to add to pack in Santiago (for later Europe travel ); but not being clear on finish point in Spain, makes it difficult. I won’t be walking with the extra parcel. Have previously sent to booked accommodation in Santiago for collection on arrival and also had small item sent to Ivar for storage before.
Any ideas with that dilemma ?

Thanks for your input Laurie ., it’s always helpful.

Buen Camino
Annie

Hi Laurie, we are flying in to Madrid on 4 April and I am thinking about walking from the Church of Santiago to Plaza Castilla on the same day and then to continue to Tres Cantos the following day. I see you mention the Korean albergue near Plaza Castilla, which could be a good option for us to stay over. Where exactly is it located? Regards, Izak.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member
Donating Member
For Annie -- How are you getting to Budapest from Spain? Why not make a reservation for the night before in that city and ask them to hold it?

And for ruimsig, the info on the Korean albergue, copied from another post. There is really nothing other than 4 star business hotels near Plaza Castilla, at least none that have been mentioned on the forum or that I've seen. Buen camino to you lucky Camino de Madrid walkers! Laurie

There is actually a pilgrim albergue in Madrid, run by the Korean Camino Association. http://cachinyeon.wixsite.com/madrid. Their location is not bad for starting out on the Camino de Madrid, at least if you plan to start at Plaza Castilla -- it's a few metro stops away. (I would honestly recommend starting at the church of Santiago/San Juan in old Madrid, walking through town to the Plaza Castilla and continuing on, but I know many people don't like city walking).

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
For Annie -- How are you getting to Budapest from Spain? Why not make a reservation for the night before in that city and ask them to hold it?
Thanks for this Laurie.
From posts I’ve read over the years; i was aware that it wasn’t done to post parcels from Australia to Ivar in Spain because of problems clearing .
So I thought it wouldn’t work if I mailed from Spain to Budapest. Is it okay because it’s an EU country to another in EU? If this is so, it’s what I’ll do. I have a hotel reservation. Just a matter of checking whether they’ll hold it for the month.
A big help. Thankyou
Annie.

Thanks Laurie. We are considering various options and the Korean albergue just might work for us. By the way, we will be walking the Camino Madrid to Sahagun and then continue on the Frances until Ponferrada from where we decided to be brave and do the Invierno! We have done the first two sections but the Invierno will be new to us. Although we do have previous versions, I ordered the 2017/18 editions of the Madrid and Invierno this morning! Izak.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member
Donating Member
Thanks Laurie. We are considering various options and the Korean albergue just might work for us. By the way, we will be walking the Camino Madrid to Sahagun and then continue on the Frances until Ponferrada from where we decided to be brave and do the Invierno! We have done the first two sections but the Invierno will be new to us. Although we do have previous versions, I ordered the 2017/18 editions of the Madrid and Invierno this morning! Izak.
Hi, Izak, stay tuned, I will have the 2018 version of the forum guide to the Invierno ready in the next month or so. You can find the current version here in the Resources section. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-de-invierno-2017-edition.535/

The Madrid-Francés-Invierno combination is a great one, IMO!

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member
Donating Member
Thanks for this Laurie.
From posts I’ve read over the years; i was aware that it wasn’t done to post parcels from Australia to Ivar in Spain because of problems clearing .
So I thought it wouldn’t work if I mailed from Spain to Budapest. Is it okay because it’s an EU country to another in EU? If this is so, it’s what I’ll do. I have a hotel reservation. Just a matter of checking whether they’ll hold it for the month.
A big help. Thankyou
Annie.
Sorry, I was confusing. What I meant was to ask what the Spanish city of departure to Budapest was. If you are flying from Madrid to Budapest, can you make a reservation in Madrid and send the package there?
I do not know the answer about mailing from Spain to Budapest directly. But I would feel better mailing it just within Spain myself. Buen camino

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Sorry, I was confusing. What I meant was to ask what the Spanish city of departure to Budapest was. If you are flying from Madrid to Budapest, can you make a reservation in Madrid and send the package there?
I do not know the answer about mailing from Spain to Budapest directly. But I would feel better mailing it just within Spain myself. Buen camino
Ha ha, very confusing Laurie
I’ve sent PM to you rather than post long winded explanation here , thanks
Annie

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Astorga to Santiago (2012); Baztan, Voie de la Nive, Frances to Leon, Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra and back (2014); Oxfam Trailwalkers NZ (2015); Portuguese from Porto (June 2015); Via de la Plata/Sanabres (May/June 2016)
Posting out of Spain is really expensive.