• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Fances in March

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No doubt .... if the choice is between March and April definately go in April. Not only is the weather in most years better at that time, there are a number of factors beyond rainfall amounts to consider. I am not sure where you got the impression that there is less rain in March, nor if that is actually the case. Know that earlier in the year you are more likely to encounter snowstorms over the mountains. It can make the going more difficult. Of course in any given year is remains possible, although less likely, for April weather to be worse than in March.

Snow melt trickling down the mountains creates mud along the Camino. Not just surface mud, but in some places it is well deeper than ankle level. The mud can be clay like, sticking to your boots/shoes making walking difficult. Trekking through the mud was for me a far bigger challenge than any rains. And not a challenge in a pleasant sort of way. Such conditions are usually far worse in March than in April.

Europe, and Spain in particular, seems to go into hibernation during the winter months. March is still winter. Spring only seems to arrive in April. Some of the albergues are closed until April. Many outdoor sections of cafes and restaurants are empty during March if the establishments are even yet open at all for the season. At the end of a day when looking for something to do the options are more limited in March. It can feel like you are in a ghost town as things have not yet come alive for the year.

The hours of daylight are longer in April.

I walked in March 2010, a busy Holy Year. The weather overall was mixed. There were perfect days, and then there were times of heavy cold rain accompanied by gale force winds. There were snow storms that made walking difficult. In fact going through the pass after O'Cebreiro the Civil Guard was plucking pilgrims off the mountain because of the dangerous conditions. It was not fun.

Although I like solitude at times, there were a few days when I did not see another pilgrim walking the entire day. Thus the option of walking with other people wasn't always possible. Had I twisted an ankle or otherwise had an injury of some sort, I might have frozen to death waiting for assistance. This was on my mind and was a little unnerving in certain places. April has a higher number of pilgrims along the entire Camino yet is not overly crowded. That is unless you are between Sarria and Santiago during the week leading up to and the week following Easter. (Easter falls on 31 March in 2013).

March was colder than I antipated it would be. While I had been expecting Spring-like weather, It was still very much winter. Foolishly in terms of clothing I hadn't been prepared for the cold.

March, April ... both are good. Based on my experience, for reasons described above again I recommend April.

Buen Camino whichever you decide!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks Markss for the great reply. Fortunately for me, since I'm from MN, a little snow isn't really an issue. It would actually make me a bit homesick. :D

I was mainly inquiring if the camino has such nice weather in March like it had this past March 2012. I have been following their weather predictions since mid March. Last month they had sunny weather with mid 70s temps predicted. Then followed by constantly rainy predictions the second April started. Is this a fluke year? I have being trying to find past weather stats for northern Spain to get a more accurate view of it. I haven't had much luck from the USA. Any ideas/websites where I could get that type of data on Spain? I tend to do a lot of research before I go on trips like this and then wing it/take things as they come based on my research when I'm there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Being from a snowy climate may not help you all that much if you are on the Camino in a blizzard, with all the waymarkings covered by snow, having no idea which trail to follow nor whether in fact you are even on any trail. Add to it that being in the mountains where there is no sign of any civilization within eyesight and no clue as to how to proceed.

Have to laugh because this brings back memories of two young and hearty Germans with whom I was walking. When snow started falling we were all excitingly looking forward to it. The Germans rejoiced, saying how much they love the snow, recalling travel to the Alps during winters past. After two or three hours in whipping wind and white out conditions the tune changed. None of us were so enamoured with snow; instead we were desperate to get to a village, any village. Whether there would be an albergue there or not didn't matter. Once we found signs of human existance we were not going back out away from civilization in those conditions. We later learned that some pilgrims received warnings at their albergues that morning or the night before that because of the expectation of severe weather they should remain another day at their current albergues . Unfortuntely such warning wasn't issued at our albergue so we didn't know what we would be getting into.

This may all sound melodramatic. However it is a summary of my own experience. From time to time people do die on the Camino in such circmstances. It's more than "a little snow" that gets them into trouble.

My point is not that this is to be expected, nor that March is not a good time to travel the Camino. Rather, given the choice of months, my preference would not be March. Not just because of the weather but for a variety of reasons, some of which were previously mentioned.

This does not I know, answer your specific query as to obtaining historical weather data. The current year weather is not a good predictor of future years. Weather this past year has not only been freaky throughout the US but in other parts of the world as well. This includes Spain which for the past months has been experiencing a drought.

Weather is STILL freaky this year! Yesterday there was a tornado that did quite a bit of damage in central California. Crazy!

And here in the desert, I ran the swamp cooler all day on Tuesday, only to freeze on Wednesday because of a drop of 20 degrees.

It's nuts!

I would also choose April.

I once started early March in Pamplona, I guess it was 3. April. The weather was in summary terrible. The first two days there was terrible snow, I did have some problems to get to the Alto del Perdon. They way to it was closed by the police some minutes after I passed, so yeah it was quite tricky. In the Meseta I experienced terrible rain and very very strong wind. When I slept in Manajrin we had to take the street to El Acebo since the normal camino was too dangerous because of a terrible snowstorm in the mountains. O Cebreiro was full of snow aswell. And in Galicia it rained much, but the temperature raised in early April. So it is definitely doable but be prepared for some sick weather full of snow and rain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Re: Camino Frances in March

During March 5,6, 2009, I was snowed in at Foncebadon during a true blizzard. While walking up from Rabanal del Camino snow began to fall; pretty at first, then stinging and very cold with an incessant wind. Walking with great difficulty on the snow-covered road after 6 k I arrived at the tiny village of Foncebadon. Luckily a private albergue, Monte Irago, has been created and was OPEN. After delicious hot tea and toast I decided to stay in this warm and cozy spot. ... A full day later the snow outside was deep and still falling and the wind still howling. What a storm! Outside there were at least 75 centimeters on the ground with much deeper drifts.... NEVER underestimate the weather!

Margaret

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I totally didn't think of factoring in for blizzards. I will definitely not start till April at the earliest.

I know there is a high probability of rain on this trip. Any suggestions as to what type of rain gear people have found most useful? I have heard varying reports from just a poncho to full rain pants and jacket. Suggestions?

I did my Frances in Feb-March.

But I'm this incredibly tough Aussie...who stays in a hotel for two or three days if he's feeling tired or doesn't like the weather.

Best

Rob

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked in March 2008, starting the first week of March. I had a great experience. There was snow in Roncesvalles, Rabanal, and O'Cebreiro but the roads were clear and you could walk on the main road without any problems. The rest of the time, the weather was very comfortable for walking and not too cold. There were only a couple of days of light, misty rain. It was not crowded but there were always other pilgrims at the albergues so we formed a really tightly knit group. If you wanted to walk with other people you could but if you wanted to walk alone, you could choose to do that as well. Nearly all of the albergues were opened yet none were crowded so you never had to worry about finding a bed. I found it to be a great month to walk and would choose it again. Good luck to you whenever you decide to go. The weather is so hard to predict...a friend walked a year or so ago in May and had worse weather than I did.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back