• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Planning for 2019

mcintyre

Time of past OR future Camino
(2019) Camino Frances by wheelchair
Hi there, I'm Dan, 41 and from Yorkshire in the UK. I'm currently excited and starting planning for travelling the Camino Frances next year. I work in IT support in the NHS.

I first heard about the Camino de Santiago only a year or so ago and wanted to do it but didn't think it would be possible for me (I'm a full-time wheelchair user), however I've done a lot of reading since then and realised it should be do-able with a bit of planning.

My main motivation for this is as a challenge to myself, to see if I can make it but also to take some time out for reflection - recently I've become quite cynical and seem to be turning into someone I don't like very much but have no idea what is going on. If I could manage to turn that around and return to being the person I used to be that would be great.

I look forward to planning, travelling and maybe even assisting alongside you all.

Attachments

• 29872459_10155027154522723_865141825768351106_o.jpg
    29872459_10155027154522723_865141825768351106_o.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 22
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Dan

Welcome to the forum, I have to say you are presenting yourself with a real challenge but not impossible.
I don't know if you're aware of the film/book "I'll push you". Two very close friends Justin and Patrick from the States (one wheelchair bound) decided to do the CF and the film/book takes you through the challenges and heart ache of the journey.
If you search the forum or the net you should be able to get information from them.

Best of luck in your endeavours and let us know how you get on.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Dan,

I have seen wheelchair users on the Camino Frances a number of times in the past, journeying with at least one or two assistances to help them deal with slopes etc. Also some have stayed in the same Albergues as me because having facilities for disabled people is part of their service.

Good luck,

Mike

Thank you, and it's reassuring to hear there are some albergues with accessible facilities - that's one of the things I've been trying to find out. Ideally I'll be going onward from Santiago to Finisterre as well but I'll make that decision once I reach Santiago - I may well have had enough by then and just want to go home.

Hi Dan,

Congratulations on deciding to take on this challenge, logistically it's quite a task but as evidenced by others certainly doable.

I also think as a cure for cynicism there probably aren't many better courses of treatment than the Camino.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there, I'm Dan, 41 and from Yorkshire in the UK. I'm currently excited and starting planning for travelling the Camino Frances next year. I work in IT support in the NHS.

I first heard about the Camino de Santiago only a year or so ago and wanted to do it but didn't think it would be possible for me (I'm a full-time wheelchair user), however I've done a lot of reading since then and realised it should be do-able with a bit of planning.

My main motivation for this is as a challenge to myself, to see if I can make it but also to take some time out for reflection - recently I've become quite cynical and seem to be turning into someone I don't like very much but have no idea what is going on. If I could manage to turn that around and return to being the person I used to be that would be great.

I look forward to planning, travelling and maybe even assisting alongside you all.
Buen Camino Dan! I think you will love it!

Buen Camino, Dan. Happy planning. It will be a challenge, but perseverance will pay off. From my own personal experience and challenges (although nothing compared to yours), I found Camino angels all along the way more than willing to share of themselves and help me when I needed it most. They will be there for you as well. God speed!

I'm also interested in Camino Frances in May 2019, first 2 weeks. I have MS, can walk about 3500 steps at a time. I have an electric wheelchair that I use, sometimes push. I've been looking into the handcycle chairs, but haven't been able to find one yet o rent. Looking for a group to go with supported by a tour company.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back