• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances too crowded in May 2013?

Kevinbjoyce

My brother and I are walking the Camino for 10 days starting mid-May. From what I can tell, it's likely to be extremely crowded (and more so every year), especially from Sarria. I don't really like the idea of walking with a crowd...tho since we're only out for 10 days that's maybe what we're up against. Is it true that many feel they must get going in a rush at 6am or earlier in order to find a place to sleep? Is it recommended to consider staying in the smaller villages one side or another of the typical "stages" stops? Or is it really recommended (and really possible) to do 10 days on any of the other routes and find logding easily, and have a more contemplative walk? Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from May 13 to June 19 2011. Yes those are busy months but I never worried about getting a bed, even in "popular" places and, believe me, I didn't leave at 6AM. I was one of the last ones to leave the albergue each morning at 7:30 (you don't want to leave really late because of mid-day heat) and walked until 1:30Pm-2PM which makes for a good day. Gives you time to wash clothes, eat, have a drink and chat, do some food shopping and sightsee. I walked alone every day but I had my camino family (all or parts of it) when I got to the albergue.

Don't worry, you don't have to walk with anyone if you don't want to.

Sarria to Santiago in 10 days, 10 km a day, you will be finished walking by 9am, 4 or 5 days normal for this section, serious if you have 10 days start in Leon and finish in Sarria, you will do the maseta and lovely mountains,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is not a lot of night life to distract pilgrims, so many go to bed at sundown, 2100 in summer. At 0600 they have had nine hours of sleep and are ready to go. Breakfast is normally served at 0700. Most albergues will be very insistent about customers leaving by 0800 or 0830. Pilgrims who depart at 0600 will have walked for 8 hours at 1400, and will be looking for a bed then. Once you have walked in the blistering sun of the afternoon, you may become part of the 0600 crowd!

Remember that you do not shape the camino; it shapes you. There is absolutely nothing you can do about other persons' habits except get angry about them. That will pretty much ruin your camino. :D

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
According to the most recent statistics May shouldn't be too bad. It still falls behind Jun-Sep in popularity, and just ahead of October, when we found most places only about half full. Of course, thanks to all this extra knowledge and people trying to plan around the busy times I would expect May to be busier this year than last but I still doubt you will have problems finding a bed. And the weather will be much cooler.

I arrived in Sarria in early June of 2011, and we never had issues with getting beds. We started typically around 7:30 or so each day. AND we had a donkey to boot, so had to ensure we had a place to let Nestor have some grass and or a field for the night.

You should be fine.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the full Camino Frances in May and June 2012, reaching Sarria on June 18, and getting to Santiago on June 22. I was concerned about the likely surge of humanity post-Sarria, and sure enough things definitely got busier, but it wasn't that bad. In fact, the only place where I was ever turned away from a 'completo' albergue was in Logrono.

Even if it turns out to be noticeably busier than last year, one of the little tricks is to look to stop for the night in smaller towns and villages. Sometimes people can stick rigidly to the stages as presented in their guide books, and that can mean a lot of people clustering in the same place at the end of the walking day. There's never really a 'bad' place to stop, but I often found the smaller towns and villages extremely enjoyable and never too crowded at night.

Hi All

I really appreciate all the advice in this post.

I start in SJPDP on the 2nd of May and fly out of Santiago on the 1st of July.
For me this journey cannot be rushed, there is a lot to take in and don't want to miss out.

Regards,
Darren

Taxi from Biarritz to St. Jean Pied de Port

Hi All,
I fly into Biarritz Airport on Sunday 28th April and I am wondering will it be easy to find transport from Biarritz Airport to St. Jean Pied de Port???????????? Is there transport on Sundays? :D :) :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The smaller towns and villages are always a delight to stop. I prefer them. And the smaller albergues are very charming too. How nice it was enjoying breakfast at 8 in the morning ( yup still in the albergue ) and no rush to leave ( ok this was two weeks ago mid april ) in Grañon! But then I would never dream going in full summer.
I saw some pilgrims using the Brierley guide as if it was the Bible. That way you miss lots of beautiful places ( IMHO ).

We were usually the last ones out of the albergues (my kid is NOT a morning person), and we were fine. We did end up on the 5th floor of the Burgos albergue (that's the top floor, and they fill it from the bottom up), but we got beds.

That said, since we live in a warm place (understatement alert!), walking later in the day didn't really bother us. If you are from a more temperate clime, you will probably suffer in the afternoons.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.