• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from France

Time of past OR future Camino
Have completed through Agosta
If France opens for US pilgrims on June 8 or 9, even if Spain is not open, will there be enough albergues open on the Francis to allow for walking? I would start in St Jean. I am hoping Spain opens by 15 June, but if not may try to begin in France mid-June. Thanks and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As Metropolitan France is still in lockdown, I think we need responses by members who own or operate gîtes or chambre d'hôtes in France. Perhaps @mspath can help?

The situation in France is ever changing.
Here is the list of quarantained countries.

Here is the US embassy in Paris latest release

Updated 20/05/21

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most hotels are already open. Gîtes d'étape and campsites (many have caravans or cabins to rent) also. Pilgrim type accommodation in France is fairly limited at all times, but most local associations will update their websites as they decide to open. Until June 9 you can only eat outside unless you are actually staying in a hotel with restaurant. It's surprising how many terraces are gaining some impressive awnings for the grand re-opening on Wednesday.

Thanks - I should clarify...I was asking about the albergues in Spain when I arrive. Are they now open? Sorry for not being clear. Thanks

Thanks - I should clarify...I was asking about the albergues in Spain when I arrive. Are they now open? Sorry for not being clear. Thanks
Ah. Sorry I misunderstood. There is quite a lot of information already on the forum, but check the date of any posts you find in your search, as the situation is rather fluid. As in, if you start in France, by the time you get to Spain, things may have changed. I think in your case I would start deep enough into France to get a decent walk before the border, just in case, as it were.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Many if not all GdEs [gîtes d’étape], CHs [chambre-d’hôtes] OR combos there-of, as well as the small family-run hôtels along the length of the GR65 Via Podiensis have re-opened [indeed some never closed] ... and are welcoming pilgrims / hikers / walkers ... in fact, some villages are over-full because of the restrictions still in place on numbers in individual rooms ... and there’s been a mighty scramble for beds between Le Puy and Conques this week in particular ...

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure many of you like me have followed the writing of Anton Pombo, who is currently lecturing in the United States. See this interview...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back