• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in September 2013

mistermac

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, 2019 [from Sahagun]
CP 2015
VdlP/Sanabres 2016/2017
Camino de Madrid Sept 2018/2019
Hi, I'm Paul from Brisbane, Australia. I am planning to walk the Camino Frances in September-October, starting in SJPDP. I'm 62 and at this stage will be walking alone. Just hoping my knees will stand up to it,but my training is well under way. I hear the first stage to Roncesvalles is probably the most demanding of the whole journey, and I think it would be wise to break this up into two days walking. Any advice?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Paul, take it slow for the first week. The first day is not that hard on the knees because it is uphill for about 18km and downhill for 5km or 6km.
Thereafter, from Roncesvalles, it is a roller-coaster of ups and downs and some people find these few days more taxing than the pretty straightforward up, up, up and down on the first day.
Listen to your body, use two sticks if you have dodgy knees and don't get sucked into walking art someone else's pace. You'll be fine!

Thanks for your suggestions. I took your advice and tried walking my local mountain with two sticks.
What a difference! My knees didn't hurt like they usually do when I got home.
You're not silly at all, sillydoll :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Paul,
I walked my first Camino Frances at 60 with one very "crook" knee. As your finding out, walking poles are excellent for bad knees and you'll find other places they will be even more helpful than on SJPP-Roncesvalles leg. A suggestion for the walking poles is to take rubber tips, for going through towns and villages, I could slip mine on and off in about 20 seconds, I felt it was a bit respectful, noise wise for the residents. I suggest you don't leave tips on, as you need the carbide tip to dig in and give stability on rocks.
I'd also consider a supply of prescription anti-inflammatories and knee guards.
I think the break at Orisson or Honto is a good idea if you have the time, you'll need to pre-book Orisson.
Buen Camino
Col

Buen Camno.
Perhaps we'll meet alomng the Way.

I an 66. Leaving from SJdPdP late Sep. Perhaps we'll meet. Recognizing ge as a factor, I booked at Orrison.

colinPeter said:
Hola Paul,
I walked my first Camino Frances at 60 with one very "crook" knee. As your finding out, walking poles are excellent for bad knees and you'll find other places they will be even more helpful than on SJPP-Roncesvalles leg. A suggestion for the walking poles is to take rubber tips, for going through towns and villages, I could slip mine on and off in about 20 seconds, I felt it was a bit respectful, noise wise for the residents. I suggest you don't leave tips on, as you need the carbide tip to dig in and give stability on rocks.
I'd also consider a supply of prescription anti-inflammatories and knee guards.
I think the break at Orisson or Honto is a good idea if you have the time, you'll need to pre-book Orisson.
Buen Camino
Col
Thanks Col. All good advice and much appreciated. I'll certainly have the prescriptions and for more than one condition. I have planned to book at Orisson. How early should I do that? I think I'll be leaving SJPDP 7th Sept.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
dbjordan said:
Buen Camno.
Perhaps we'll meet alomng the Way.

I an 66. Leaving from SJdPdP late Sep. Perhaps we'll meet. Recognizing ge as a factor, I booked at Orrison.

I'm actually departing in early Sept. but hopefully we'll have a chance to meet somewhere along the way. Who knows?
Buen Camino,
Paul

Hi, I'm Jane in New Zealand. Also arriving to begin my Camino in September. I would also like to know how far in advance to book at Orrison.:smile:

Howdy,
I'm Arlene and will be walking the Camino Frances beginning on September 16th this year. I walked the Camino last year during the same time frame - September and October are beautiful months on the Camino!

amourier said:
Howdy,
I'm Arlene and will be walking the Camino Frances beginning on September 16th this year. I walked the Camino last year during the same time frame - September and October are beautiful months on the Camino!

Hi Arlene,
Thanks for sharing. Buen Camino!
Paul

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,

I will be walking in September and early October, and will hopefully bump into some of you :)

I have flights booked to Spain, arriving on 1 Sept, but personal circumstances may delay my start for a few days, and depending how that pans out I might start in Pamplona or Burgos.

Hope you all have a great time planning and preparing!

Hal

Hi all -

I will be starting my Camino in Pamplona on the 7th September. Hopefully some of you will be there then too. Does anyone have a suggestion about accommodation in Pamplona, possibly near to the Camino trail?

I have booked a flight out of Santiago on the 1st October so have very limited time. I have not been able to make up my mind as to which sections to skip. There are many opinions as to what is beautiful, peaceful, not to miss or the exact opposite - the Meseta in particular. How to decide.....?

Mary

Hi Paul we live on the goldcoast and also doing it in September on my 59th Birthday training every weekend have a bad knee wear a brace works well also physio work wonders

regard

John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
mistermac said:
amourier said:
Howdy,

Hi Arlene,
Thanks for sharing. Buen Camino!
Paul

Hi Arleen, I will start on 15th or 16th September from Roncesvalles. We may meet on the Camino.
George / Gyuri

Hi also doing the Camino starting on the 3 Sept .Looks like there are a couple of South Africans starting over this period. I am from Cape Town and will first be joining my sister in Barcelona and we will walk the first couple of days together.Hope to meet some of you pilgrims along the way.Starting in St Jean. Buen Camino.

johnvp said:
Hi Paul we live on the goldcoast and also doing it in September on my 59th Birthday training every weekend have a bad knee wear a brace works well also physio work wonders

regard

John
G'day John,
I hope to set out from St Jean on 7th Sept. Perhaps I'll see you.

Buen Camino,
Paul

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
John, I am doing walks in Mt Coot-tha Forest with my Camino rucksack and with increasing load. Using two poles now to ease the weight on my knees. You?

Hey Paul, I'm planning to begin walking in early September also. I'm 63 and was thinking that stopping at Orrison would be a fine idea. I understand it's a very pretty area with a great view and may just be a very good first stop. I believe it has just 18 beds. I plan to go with the flow, not rush through and enjoy the journey. Am still trying to figure out clothing as I'm not sure how cool it may be in late september and october. A fleece, windbreaker and poncho may do it for me. If anyone has any thoughs or experience in these months, I would appreciate their insight. Perhaps we'll meet. Buen Camino.

hi Mistermac

We train in the Coombabah reserve you can walk for miles the only problem its flat so we will have to go up into the hinterlands for some hills i havent used poles yet do you find them good

Maurice16 said:
If anyone has any thoughs or experience in these months, I would appreciate their insight.
I'm 68 and did the CF with two tin hips last Sep/Oct. The Route Napoleon has fantastic views and I recommend the Orisson stop for an easier start to your Camino. I counted 47 at a great dinner and am sure there are more than 18 beds. Whatever BOOK EARLY, like now!
In Sep/Oct the mornings are chilly. I took a lightweight thermal t-shirt, but I usually found a long sleeve shirt with a fleece on top and a Buff was sufficient. My waterproof layer was an Altus poncho which I also used very rarely as a windbreaker. That gave me 4 layers which I don't think I ever used, but I'm glad I took. My pack, an "Osprey Talon 44" weighed 7 Kgs.

Buen Camino
Gerard

Maurice16 said:
Hey Paul, I'm planning to begin walking in early September also. I'm 63 and was thinking that stopping at Orrison would be a fine idea. I understand it's a very pretty area with a great view and may just be a very good first stop. I believe it has just 18 beds. I plan to go with the flow, not rush through and enjoy the journey. Am still trying to figure out clothing as I'm not sure how cool it may be in late september and october. A fleece, windbreaker and poncho may do it for me. If anyone has any thoughs or experience in these months, I would appreciate their insight. Perhaps we'll meet. Buen Camino.

G'day Maurice,
I sure hope we meet in the early days. I have already booked at Orisson:
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/
If you can write in French or have someone translate it, it will help. They ask you to pay in advance - about 32 Euros.
Buen Camino,
Paul
P.S. Where are you from?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
johnvp said:
hi Mistermac

We train in the Coombabah reserve you can walk for miles the only problem its flat so we will have to go up into the hinterlands for some hills i havent used poles yet do you find them good

Yes, I used to use just one pole but now with two i find it takes the strain off the knees, both uphill and downhill. Same effect as crutches I guess. I need to strengthen up my triceps to get the full benefit.

Hey Paul. My wife and I just moved to Florida USA from the Virgin Islands where I lived for 33yrs. But I was born in Germany and my relatives live in Poland. I've lived in the tropics for quite a while where the temp rarely drops below 22 C. So I'm trying to get a handle on clothing. I've lived my life in shorts and t-shirts. I run bike swim and stay pretty active so I feel very good about the walk. I am looking to fly into Paris about sept 2 -4 or so and take the train immediately to St Jean Pied de Port and start within a day or two. I'm a vegetarian which should makes things interesting. I may bring a small stash of food to begin with but I'm not sure if there are any issues with customs. Hopefully we'll meet up.

Maurice16 said:
Hey Paul. My wife and I just moved to Florida USA from the Virgin Islands where I lived for 33yrs. But I was born in Germany and my relatives live in Poland. I've lived in the tropics for quite a while where the temp rarely drops below 22 C. So I'm trying to get a handle on clothing. I've lived my life in shorts and t-shirts. I run bike swim and stay pretty active so I feel very good about the walk. I am looking to fly into Paris about sept 2 -4 or so and take the train immediately to St Jean Pied de Port and start within a day or two. I'm a vegetarian which should makes things interesting. I may bring a small stash of food to begin with but I'm not sure if there are any issues with customs. Hopefully we'll meet up.

Maurice,
I'm flying into Paris 3 Sept and taking the train to SJPdP 6 Sept. Sounds like we'll be pretty much in the same territory in the early days. I look forward to running into you somewhere.
I'm also used to a warm climate in Queensland and I'm taking the same approach to clothing as you.
Buen Camino,
Paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, seems September is the time to be on the Camino. I will be starting from Pamplona on 10th September. Training at Mt Cootha in Brisbane most weekends, next weekend doing Border Tract at Lamington National Park, just it do a few days of walking. Hope to run into a few of you during September/October.
Carla

I'll be departing SJPdP on September 18, walking alone with my 61 year old knees... Hope to meet some of you along the way.

Hi all, I will be starting my trek from Logrono this year on September 17th. Hope to run (lol) into some of you on the Way.

Hi

I am Trevor from Melbourne I am heading off around the middle of September 2013, flying into Paris and then train it to St Jean rest for a day or two and then start slow....to much to think about and see to hurry.

Buen Camino, Trevor

Paul from Oz, Jane from NZ - I'll be starting early Sept from SJpdp too - also from NZ. Aiming for Finisterre. Dates to be confirmed - very much looking forward to meeting you all!
Anna

Hi Anna,
Hope to see you in SJPdP or thereabouts.
Buen Camino!
Paul

Paul, Maurice, good tips on Orisson - I too thought it might be good to break that first stint. I will be very out of practice as I'll be coming in from a few months at sea... mind you, I'm a spring chicken at late 40s! Have enquired re availability. I am thinking along similar lines re clothing - also used to being in the tropics - I figure I can always buy more if it gets cold early. Paul - is there just the one train a day from Paris?
Anna

Anna B said:
.... is there just the one train a day from Paris?
Anna

Anna,

There are many trains each day from Paris to Bayonne and SJPdP. You can see schedules up to 3 months in advance at this SNCF (French Nationl Rail Road ) link. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/.

Here is some basic info.

1. There are trains that go from CDG airport.These are SNCF TGV (Tres Grand Express) from CdG Paris 2 airport to BORDEAUX and which then connect with another TGV to Bayonne and a TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

2. The route is generally a TGV train from the Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then a regional TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Generally there are 4 TGV trains to Bayonne from Paris Montparnasse each day and many TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP.

3. If you wish you could take the regular overnight train from Paris Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne to connect with a morning TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

You NEED a reservation for any TGV train and it is cheaper to book the ticket well in advance; you do NOT need a reservation for the TER line 62. You can buy both tickets on-line at the same time. However you can also book everything with a live clerk at the station the day of departure if you wish. If you take the mid morning train from Paris you can be in SJPdP by late afternoon.

Hope this helps,

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Such good and complete information. Thank you Margaret.
I am planning to travel on the TGV from Gare Montparnasse. I have tried to book online but, as you say, they won't let you before 3 months out. They ( i.e. SNCF) will take your email address and send you the information when they are ready to take bookings.
Paul

More Thanks to Margareth. Norwegian pilgrim starting 30th august from SJPDP. .I will arrive in Paris late on 28th and go by train next morning.
Looking forward to put one foot in front of the other and find the rythm. ..

Hello Everyone,

I am Kathie from Vancouver Island, Canada. I arrive in SJPdP from Paris on Sept 13 and will set out on the Camino Sept 14. I feel like a kid counting down the days to a trip to Disneyland.

I'm trying to get this 56 year old body into mountain climbing shape. It's been a few years since I've done any Mountaineering. Thankfully there are many uphill climbs here on the Island, but I'm just a little too afraid of bears to venture out alone for any extended hike. There is, however, a small Island across the narrow channel from my town that has a 3 hour perimeter trail around it (lots of up and down) and the largest beasts I will encounter there are deer and raccoons.

Looking forward to the non-bear, non-cougar, mystic Spanish countryside. Hope to meet some of you on the Way.

Cheers,
Kathie

kathie rousseau said:
Thankfully there are many uphill climbs here on the Island, but I'm just a little too afraid of bears to venture out alone for any extended hike.

Looking forward to the non-bear, non-cougar, mystic Spanish countryside.

Hi Kathie,
I know what you mean about being afraid of bears, my fear is that of rattlesnakes. I was hiking here in the desert of Tucson until I almost stepped onto a very large rattlesnake. Now I'm out of the desert proper and onto the more travelled dirt and paved roads. Thankfully I live in the foothills so there are plenty of places with steep climbs for me to train.

I'm starting my Camino on Sept. 17th, hopefully we will meet up at some point.

Thank you Margaret - perfect answer! All very helpful - I will start to put a plan in place.
Woo hoo!
Anna
ps Kathie - you should come tramping in New Zealand - no nasties to worry about at all!

Hi Kathie, Arlene
No bears, no cougars, but you might encounter this old kangaroo around that time. :wink:

Buen Camino!
Paul

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Paul, I start September 1st and am from Oregon USA. Hopefully we will meet. I am so excited I can't seem to think of much else. Buen Camino! Paige

Hi Anna, I would love to hike around New Zealand. From all the photos and films I've seen it looks heartbreakingly beautiful. And what a bonus there are no "nasties"!!

Paul, always up for meeting "old kangaroos" of the human variety. If I don't see you on the Camino, happy hopping!!

Amourier, I know what you mean about rattlesnakes. I ran into a few growing up in the Okanagan Valley. Nasty little critters with their fancy, fancy rattling - a sound I'm glad we won't encounter on the Way.

Happy trails,
Kathie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
paigehamm said:
Hi Paul, I start September 1st and am from Oregon USA. Hopefully we will meet. I am so excited I can't seem to think of much else. Buen Camino! Paige

Hi Paige, Yes I feel restless and can't wait for September to come. We'll just have to keep fit and healthy. Buen Camino! Paul

Just bought my ticket I leave Denver on Sept. 10th. I am so excited. Hope to meet adventurous people and enjoy being unplugged for a while. :)

Re: Re: Camino in September 2013

djkernes said:
Just bought my ticket I leave Denver on Sept. 10th. I am so excited. Hope to meet adventurous people and enjoy being unplugged for a while. :)

Our paths will most likely cross as I should be joining the Camino Frances in Puente La Reina from the Aragones at the same time you get there. My name is Geneviève.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
amourier said:
Howdy,
Hi Arlene,
I too am leaving SJPDP on the 19th of September and looking forward to the experience. Maybe our path will cross. Larricka expedition.

I am planning my camino for the middle of the first week of Sept. I haven't made reservations yet, but I've read so much good advice here. I think I will fly to Paris and then take the trains to SJPDP. I keep reading about starting the camino at Orrison. Would I arrive at SJ and then walk to Orrison, spend the night and begin the trip? I will be alone, flying from Florida, and want to be sure to recover from jet lag before I begin the big pilgrimage.

It sounds like the first week in Sept will be a winner. I plan to leave SJPdP on 7th and stop in Orisson - possibly along with one or two others in this post. An easy start after a long journey, and time to enjoy the beautiful scenery in that part of the Pyrenees will be much appreciated. Hope to see you there. Anna.
Buen Camino!

Hi Paul and everyone else starting in September

I will arrive in SJPdP on 11th September, my friend from the States arrives on the 12th and i guess we'll walk out of SJPdP on the 13th.

I'm in my early 50s and have enquired at Orisson - i want to take things slowly to start with!

Hope to see some of you guys there :)

Buen Camino!

Hi Wildplace,

Greetings to you and your friend. Hope to see you somewhere along the way.
Buen Camino!
Paul

Anna B said:
It sounds like the first week in Sept will be a winner. I plan to leave SJPdP on 7th and stop in Orisson - possibly along with one or two others in this post. An easy start after a long journey, and time to enjoy the beautiful scenery in that part of the Pyrenees will be much appreciated. Hope to see you there. Anna.
Buen Camino!

Hi Anna,
If everything goes to plan I will certainly see you at Orisson on the 7th and possibly in SJPdP on the 6th/7th.
Buen Camino!
Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
cpcfisher said:
I am planning my camino for the middle of the first week of Sept. I haven't made reservations yet, but I've read so much good advice here. I think I will fly to Paris and then take the trains to SJPDP. I keep reading about starting the camino at Orrison. Would I arrive at SJ and then walk to Orrison, spend the night and begin the trip? I will be alone, flying from Florida, and want to be sure to recover from jet lag before I begin the big pilgrimage.

Hi cpfisher,
My travel plans are very similar. Arriving Paris 3rd Sept.I will spend a couple of days there sightseeing and getting over jetlag. Then taking train(s) to SJPdP 6th Sept. Walking to Orisson 7th Sept. After that I'll make my plans day by day. You might like to do the same. Hope to see you there.
Buen Camino!
Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back