• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino may

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
i am a 50ish woman attempting to walk the Camino( or last part) in may 2017 by myself. Do you have any advice. I am not sure if i want to prebook accommodation or to see how i go. Also not sure where to start and how toget there. Excited but nervous
If you can work out a schedule averaging 20 kms a day then try and book ahead at private Albergues, most of which are on line. The Camino is now VERY popular and many if not most now book their accommodation in advance. Already in May, many establishments are full. The rest use their smart phones to book ahead. This year I witnessed many Pilgrims not able to find beds, even in the Municiple Albergues. This is why most people are on the road by 5-6 am in order to arrive early at the Municiples. Depending on where you are coming from, getting there is relatively strait forward. I will be on the trail again in May ( its adictive), so maybe see you. Start training now and you will have no problems. Its very safe. Peter

Welcome Tp, could you let us know how much time you have to walk and where you will be travelling from. This will help with your questions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you can work out a schedule averaging 20 kms a day then try and book ahead at private Albergues, most of which are on line. The Camino is now VERY popular and many if not most now book their accommodation in advance. Already in May, many establishments are full. The rest use their smart phones to book ahead. This year I witnessed many Pilgrims not able to find beds, even in the Municiple Albergues. This is why most people are on the road by 5-6 am in order to arrive early at the Municiples. Depending on where you are coming from, getting there is relatively strait forward. I will be on the trail again in May ( its adictive), so maybe see you. Start training now and you will have no problems. Its very safe. Peter
I walked April and May this year and heard a lot about accommodations being booked way in advance. I learned those comments came from tour leaders and people booking for large groups. It really was not a problem finding places to stay, and definitely not a problem booking private albergues a day in advance. I am not an expert -- only one camino -- but I would say the downsides of having all of your accommodations pre-booked (no flexibility, no way to decide to stay with new friends, can't take a rest day, can't go further if you feel like it or stop sooner when you feel like it) are much greater than the risk of not finding a place to stay. Everyone I knew -- and me -- always found a place to stay. In the very worst case -- which never happened to me -- if you got to a town and couldn't find something you could taxi somewhere off the camino. If you want to pre-book, so you could have some of your stuff transported, you could do so a day or 2 in advance.

Book a day or two in advance when you are on the Camino. Hosts are becoming very testy about reservations that are made by no-shows, so expect to verify reservations each day unless you have arrived by about 4 p.m. If you spontaneously stop by about 3 p.m., you won't have a problem finding a bed. So many pilgrims (and groups) are reserving ahead that it is becoming normal even if it is not really necessary.

I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. Most of the people I met on the Camino did not pre book all of their accommodations. Most just found an albergue as they arrived in each town. I walked late August through September and never had a problem getting a bed.
BTW, I'm also a 50ish woman.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with the Trecile , it is not necessary to reserve except in one or 2 places like between roncevaless and Pamploma where the albergues are too smal for the many persons making the first few days from St Jean Pied de port to Pamploma We should not encourage to make reservation, It changes the spirit of the camino making it a trek more than a pilgrim where we live at the moment and take what is given.

i am a 50ish woman attempting to walk the Camino( or last part) in may 2017 by myself. Do you have any advice. I am not sure if i want to prebook accommodation or to see how i go. Also not sure where to start and how toget there. Excited but nervous

Many people start in Saint Jean Pied de Port near the border between France and Spain. Others start at Roncesvalles, Pamplona etc, usually based on time available.

Here is some information on getting there. When you firm your plans up we can give more detail.

SJPdP is connected to Bayonne by SNCF train 4 times daily.

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus. Schedule varies from none to several daily depending on time of year.

Biarritz BIQ is the closest airport to SJPdP. There is Chronoplus bus 14 from Airport to Gare Bayonne. There are flights to London, Dublin, Madrid, Paris and others.

Bayonne is connected by SNCF train to Paris, Bordeaux and Toulouse. There are international flights to airports at these locations.

Bayonne is connected by SNCF train to Irun and Hendaye at the border with Spain. There is Renfe train service from anywhere Spain to Irun/Hendaye. There is an Airport EAS at San Sebastian located about 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

Pamplona is connected by Renfe train to Madrid and Barcelona. There is ALSA and Monbus bus service from Barcelona. There is PLM Autocares and ALSA bus from Madrid. There is an airport PNA in Pamplona.

There is a major airport in Bilbao. Bilbao Airport BIO is connected to San Sebastian by PESA bus. There several bus and train options to get from San Sebastian to Bayonne or Pamplona.

A key factor is getting home. Renfe provides train service from Santiago to Madrid, Barcelona, and Irun. Santiago Airport SCQ has flights to London, Madrid, and Barcelona. In summer there are usually flights to Paris.

There is train and bus service from Santiago to Porto OPO and Lisboa LIS where there are international airports.

Yeah, no need to pre-book on the CF. I never did on any of mine and always found room at an albergue.
Never saw Roncesvalles packed beyond capacity.
The only place I would recommend pre-booking reservations if possible, and even then it's not a necessity, is Santiago. It can get quite crowded with pilgrims and non-pilgrim tourists as well. If you know exactly what days you will be there, make reservations at a private albergue, pensiones or hotel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Camino in September this year, my 4th in 10 years and it was the first occasion where I found people stuck for a bed for the night. Other than the block booking by tour companies, Pilgrims are now booking ahead 1 or 2 nights with their smart phone. Every body's experience will be different, and if you avoid the weekend surge out of SJPP, it will be easier and more relaxed. This year by the time I left Roncenvalle beds were difficult to find. It depends on how you want to do it, if the Municiples are fine, and many have been refurbished to a high standard, then you may have no problem. But personally speaking, my days of large hot dorms with snorers are over.I have never walked it in May so it will be new for me as well. Probably wetter than my usual walking in August/September. Personally by pre booking, I now enjoy the walk better because I am now not part of that great early morning surge of anxious pilgrims looking for their next bed. However, as somebody said you may not end up with your new friends. But you do often meet the same people walking during the day. Many Refugio owners will also phone ahead for you and book a bed at your next destination. At our age, we are not part of the younger set doing huge distances and strolling up hills like a mountain goat. At 60+ I don't need the hassle. " Been there, done that, and got the tee shirt". PS, do use a baggage service to carry your pack to your next destination, it will make the walk easier on your legs and feet. and more enjoyable. If you havn't booked anywhere just give the municiple Albergue address and your pack will be waiting.. Enjoy. Peter

Let me ask, what interested you in walking the Camino, and what have you found out about it? This will help figure out what information may be helpful.

One website I always use is the one I get when Googling "Eroski Camino": you then choose your route and will see suggested etapas, with distances, and albergues along the way, with elevations.

These days I like to book because I am a slow walker but have to admkt my best Camino was the first one, before reservations were an option. Would I prefer it today, not booking, while others are? Perhaps.

Where to start? Figure out time you have available, km per day you want to do, and work it backwards. There will always be a taxi available to drive you to your starting point if there are no trains or buses stopping there.

Rome2rio.com is handy regarding transport, as is googling "autobus" with departure/destination. You'll see the local/regional bus companies' schedules .

Yeah, no need to pre-book on the CF. I never did on any of mine and always found room at an albergue.
Never saw Roncesvalles packed beyond capacity.
@Mark Lee, this might have been your experience, but it certainly wasn't mine. My wife and I walked relatively slowly, and arrived quite late in the afternoon on longer days. Other than for a few places, booking was essential for us. I generally booked in the evening for the following day, but after Sarria I did the bookings several days in advance. We departed SJPP on 2 May, and I know that there were members who departed a week or so later who didn't face the same problems we had encountered, and who would proclaim that there was no problem on the CF as if they could see all of it ahead of them. It just wasn't so.

Even on the few days that I walked alone just before Burgos, I was not able to just walk up and expect to find a bed, even early in the afternoon. On two of the four days that I was walking alone, I was not able to get a bed at my preferred stopping point, but had to walk on to the next village. I didn't find that too difficult, but I know that this would have been extremely difficult if I had been walking with my wife.

So far these are facts, not opinions. What follows is advice. Feel free to challenge it or add to it in a constructive way.

Have a strategy, or perhaps one might better call this an escalation pattern:

a. if you are walking without planning to book, give a little thought to the options you will explore if you find the albergue you want to stay at full. Some that come to mind:
  1. see if the hospitalero is prepared to ring around the other albergues in the town. Let them use your phone for this, particularly if you are at any of the association or donativo albergues.
  2. be prepared to walk on if there is nothing in the current town.
  3. alternatively, it might be possible to get a taxi to somewhere that has a space, and return the next day to where you left the path.
  4. find non-albergue accommodation. It will be more expensive, may not be close to the path, but the owner may be prepared to pick you up and return you as part of the cost. If not, offer to pay or find a taxi.

b. if you plan to book, work out when and where. Invariably, you will be told this is less flexible than walking without a booking. For those that are tempted to repeat that, its been said, and there should be no need for you to labour the point.
  1. The minimum time that I booked ahead was about lunch time on the day I needed to stay. It was going to be a long leg for my wife and I, and I didn't want to face not finding a place if we walked without a booking.
  2. Normally we would see how we were feeling at the end of each day before making arrangements for the next day. This retains some more flexibility than booking for several days ahead.
  3. Clearly it is possible to book further ahead, and we met people who had booked or had bookings made for them for a week or more ahead.
  4. If you cannot find a place to book where you want to get to, you have to decide whether you have the stamina to go further, or need to find somewhere closer, and have a shorter day than you might have wanted.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Mark Lee, this might have been your experience, but it certainly wasn't mine. My wife and I walked relatively slowly, and arrived quite late in the afternoon on longer days. Other than for a few places, booking was essential for us. I generally booked in the evening for the following day, but after Sarria I did the bookings several days in advance. We departed SJPP on 2 May, and I know that there were members who departed a week or so later who didn't face the same problems we had encountered, and who would proclaim that there was no problem on the CF as if they could see all of it ahead of them. It just wasn't so.

Even on the few days that I walked alone just before Burgos, I was not able to just walk up and expect to find a bed, even early in the afternoon. On two of the four days that I was walking alone, I was not able to get a bed at my preferred stopping point, but had to walk on to the next village. I didn't find that too difficult, but I know that this would have been extremely difficult if I had been walking with my wife.

So far these are facts, not opinions. What follows is advice. Feel free to challenge it or add to it in a constructive way.

Have a strategy, or perhaps one might better call this an escalation pattern:

a. if you are walking without planning to book, give a little thought to the options you will explore if you find the albergue you want to stay at full. Some that come to mind:
  1. see if the hospitalero is prepared to ring around the other albergues in the town. Let them use your phone for this, particularly if you are at any of the association or donativo albergues.
  2. be prepared to walk on if there is nothing in the current town.
  3. alternatively, it might be possible to get a taxi to somewhere that has a space, and return the next day to where you left the path.
  4. find non-albergue accommodation. It will be more expensive, may not be close to the path, but the owner may be prepared to pick you up and return you as part of the cost. If not, offer to pay or find a taxi.

b. if you plan to book, work out when and where. Invariably, you will be told this is less flexible than walking without a booking. For those that are tempted to repeat that, its been said, and there should be no need for you to labour the point.
  1. The minimum time that I booked ahead was about lunch time on the day I needed to stay. It was going to be a long leg for my wife and I, and I didn't want to face not finding a place if we walked without a booking.
  2. Normally we would see how we were feeling at the end of each day before making arrangements for the next day. This retains some more flexibility than booking for several days ahead.
  3. Clearly it is possible to book further ahead, and we met people who had booked or had bookings made for them for a week or more ahead.
  4. If you cannot find a place to book where you want to get to, you have to decide whether you have the stamina to go further, or need to find somewhere closer, and have a shorter day than you might have wanted.
I don't know, man. all I can say is that I've got over 130 days on the Camino Frances and I always found room at an albergue or somewhere without pre-booking. Sure, was a tad bit touch and go a few times, but I still found somewhere.
Yeah, if someone has a mobile phone and can do it? Go ahead and pre-book. No doubt there's some sense of comfort knowing you got a bed at the end of the day.

I don't know, man. all I can say is that I've got over 130 days on the Camino Frances and I always found room at an albergue or somewhere without pre-booking. Sure, was a tad bit touch and go a few times, but I still found somewhere.
Yeah, if someone has a mobile phone and can do it? Go ahead and pre-book. No doubt there's some sense of comfort knowing you got a bed at the end of the day.
I appreciate that your experience is different. I walked the CF in Apr 2010, and didn't book once. Only one private albergue that I wanted to stay at was full, and the walk to the next albergue not difficult. When I walked the CI and then to Finisterre in 2014, I only booked once, and that was for the night that I arrived in Finisterre from Muxia.

This year, starting on 2 May and just getting to Burgos:
  1. there was no accommodation in Zubiri. We stayed about 5 km away off the camino at a hostel. Very expensive, but the owner did pick us up and drop us off the next day.
  2. the place we wanted to stay at Puenta la Reina was full by midday, but we found a private room at another albergue. The communal dormitory there was already full.
  3. the donativo at Tosantos was full early in the afternoon, but was offering a mat in their overflow. I found there were still beds in Villambistia and walked there.
  4. only the municapal albergue in Ages still had space when I arrived early in the afternoon. It wasn't my preference, but I was happy not to walk on.
After that, I pre-booked more consistently. I am not suggesting that one has to do that, but I am suggesting it is worth giving some consideration to how one might deal with the circumstance where the place you wanted to stay is full. You indicate that this has happened to you. How did you deal with it?

This year, 2016, is a Jubilee year; The Holy Year of Mercy. That means special indulgences for pilgrimages. As a result, many more pilgrims than usual walked the camino. I was shocked at the number of pilgrims on Camino Frances, looked like crazy fun. Anyway, next year should be a bit calmer. Too book or not really depends on how structured and fit you are, and your budget. You will always find a bed in an: albergue, hostel, hotel. Honestly, if you can, go with the flow, part of pilgrimage is letting go of structure. Where to start depends on how much time you have for your pilgrimage.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nothing wrong with booking the next day or two's accommodation, but I wouldn't book out the whole Camino before I even started!

I appreciate that your experience is different. I walked the CF in Apr 2010, and didn't book once. Only one private albergue that I wanted to stay at was full, and the walk to the next albergue not difficult. When I walked the CI and then to Finisterre in 2014, I only booked once, and that was for the night that I arrived in Finisterre from Muxia.

This year, starting on 2 May and just getting to Burgos:
  1. there was no accommodation in Zubiri. We stayed about 5 km away off the camino at a hostel. Very expensive, but the owner did pick us up and drop us off the next day.
  2. the place we wanted to stay at Puenta la Reina was full by midday, but we found a private room at another albergue. The communal dormitory there was already full.
  3. the donativo at Tosantos was full early in the afternoon, but was offering a mat in their overflow. I found there were still beds in Villambistia and walked there.
  4. only the municapal albergue in Ages still had space when I arrived early in the afternoon. It wasn't my preference, but I was happy not to walk on.
After that, I pre-booked more consistently. I am not suggesting that one has to do that, but I am suggesting it is worth giving some consideration to how one might deal with the circumstance where the place you wanted to stay is full. You indicate that this has happened to you. How did you deal with it?
About 5-6 times out of the 130 days or so, I got to a town and the first albergue or two was full so I just kept looking around until I found one with vacancy. There was also 3-4 times I had to opt for staying in a pensiones instead of an albergue because either the ones I came across were full, or I just wasn't interested in walking around anymore looking for a vacancy, so I shelled out a few more bucks and got a room.
I never had to walk to the next town to find an albergue with room.

I understand all the different ways of handling or not the reservation mentioned above and I agree that there are many aspects to take into consideration. I usually do not reserve but as I said I had problem in the village after Roncevalles ( before Pamploma) . My position is in general not to reserve, except when I ear that they could be problem like on the WE or in some small albergue ( very rare) or if I feel tired and I know I will walk slowly and will come late ( I am 70). To have a reservation then gives me a peace of mind and I can enjoy the day without hurry. I can really live on the camino, enjoying the nature, stop for visiting a monument, spend time with other pilgrims that we meet .... . The reservation is the price for that enjoyment.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many people start in Saint Jean Pied de Port near the border between France and Spain. Others start at Roncesvalles, Pamplona etc, usually based on time available.

Here is some information on getting there. When you firm your plans up we can give more detail.

SJPdP is connected to Bayonne by SNCF train 4 times daily.

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus. Schedule varies from none to several daily depending on time of year.

Biarritz BIQ is the closest airport to SJPdP. There is Chronoplus bus 14 from Airport to Gare Bayonne. There are flights to London, Dublin, Madrid, Paris and others.

Bayonne is connected by SNCF train to Paris, Bordeaux and Toulouse. There are international flights to airports at these locations.

Bayonne is connected by SNCF train to Irun and Hendaye at the border with Spain. There is Renfe train service from anywhere Spain to Irun/Hendaye. There is an Airport EAS at San Sebastian located about 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

Pamplona is connected by Renfe train to Madrid and Barcelona. There is ALSA and Monbus bus service from Barcelona. There is PLM Autocares and ALSA bus from Madrid. There is an airport PNA in Pamplona.

There is a major airport in Bilbao. Bilbao Airport BIO is connected to San Sebastian by PESA bus. There several bus and train options to get from San Sebastian to Bayonne or Pamplona.

A key factor is getting home. Renfe provides train service from Santiago to Madrid, Barcelona, and Irun. Santiago Airport SCQ has flights to London, Madrid, and Barcelona. In summer there are usually flights to Paris.

There is train and bus service from Santiago to Porto OPO and Lisboa LIS where there are international airports.

Very good info. Great response. Thanks.

Welcome Tp, could you let us know how much time you have to walk and where you will be travelling from. This will help with your questions.
Hi guys. Wow what great responses.

I have lots of time but unsure if I can walk 30 days... lol. I love the idea but know reality is 100-150 is more likely for me at the moment. I walk regularly but am not a hiker per say. Have done long walks. And one 30ker. I am coming from Australia.
I was thinking of starting in Sarria or I could start further up he Camino and travel some ways by bus/train? Leon maybe.
Is it best to fly to Barcelona or Madrid. Or London even ?

Hi @Tp3660 (henceforth to be known as Tp - unless you give yourself another name!) and welcome to the forum. I walked my first Camino the year I turned 50, by myself. No pre-booking, no luggage transport (that did not even exist 16 years ago!) I'd never done a jot of exercise before, was very overweight and unfit, had bad knees, bad eyesight - but I made it. And have done it numerous times since. The secret for me is to take my time, really take my time, but just keep going.

With 30 days you could start from Logroño. From Burgos it would be a snack. Where you start depends on how much time you have. Leon is beautiful and and easy starting point. From Logroño or Burgos with 30 days there would be no need to take the train or bus (but they are there if you become ill or are injured) and you would be able to easily keep the km down.

This site might help you with planning - just put in your intended starting point, and end point, and it works out kilometres etc. http://www.godesalco.com/plan

Just realised you did not say you had 30 days - no matter - the above still would be helpful. From Sydney I find it easiest and quickest to fly to Madrid.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Let me ask, what interested you in walking the Camino, and what have you found out about it? This will help figure out what information may be helpful.

One website I always use is the one I get when Googling "Eroski Camino": you then choose your route and will see suggested etapas, with distances, and albergues along the way, with elevations.

These days I like to book because I am a slow walker but have to admkt my best Camino was the first one, before reservations were an option. Would I prefer it today, not booking, while others are? Perhaps.

Where to start? Figure out time you have available, km per day you want to do, and work it backwards. There will always be a taxi available to drive you to your starting point if there are no trains or buses stopping there.

Rome2rio.com is handy regarding transport, as is googling "autobus" with departure/destination. You'll see the local/regional bus companies' schedules .

Thanks. I like the idea of walking my troubles away. Lol. Mid life mess. The usual. Trying to find myself again. During my trials I developed acute anxiety and had to walk. It Saved me. Somehow I feel I need to pay homage to my walking. Not sure where I discovered Camino but I believe it came to me. So I am doing it.
Can walk 30 k in a day. Did that for charity. Took 8 hrs mind you. So I envisage 15 k a day is more appropriate so I have given myself whatever time I need I have a month off but expect to be on Camino for 2 weeks realistically..

Walking is a great way to clear the head, I know it works for me. You may very well surprise your self and find that you want to keep walking after the two weeks, My suggestion would be to walk the first two weeks and see how you feel then. Two weeks into Santiago and if you want to keep walking there is another week to walk to Finisterre and Muxia, then a week to relax before you return home.

Hi @Tp3660 (henceforth to be known as Tp - unless you give yourself another name!) and welcome to the forum. I walked my first Camino the year I turned 50, by myself. No pre-booking, no luggage transport (that did not even exist 16 years ago!) I'd never done a jot of exercise before, was very overweight and unfit, had bad knees, bad eyesight - but I made it. And have done it numerous times since. The secret for me is to take my time, really take my time, but just keep going.

With 30 days you could start from Logroño. From Burgos it would be a snack. Where you start depends on how much time you have. Leon is beautiful and and easy starting point. From Logroño or Burgos with 30 days there would be no need to take the train or bus (but they are there if you become ill or are injured) and you would be able to easily keep the km down.

This site might help you with planning - just put in your intended starting point, and end point, and it works out kilometres etc. http://www.godesalco.com/plan

Just realised you did not say you had 30 days - no matter - the above still would be helpful. From Sydney I find it easiest and quickest to fly to Madrid.

Thanks Kanga. I do have enough time to do it anyway I choose but I am concerned about lasting the distance. I want the Camino experience. Spiritual. Finding myself. Life Changing. A lot to ask of a walk but I myself am not a hiker my fitness is dubious despite some training. Don't speak Spanish and really don't relish staying in rooms full of snorers and bed bugs. I like the idea of having my bag carried, as I think I may make it further that way, and a comfortable bed at the end of a long day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walking is a great way to clear the head, I know it works for me. You may very well surprise your self and find that you want to keep walking after the two weeks, My suggestion would be to walk the first two weeks and see how you feel then. Two weeks into Santiago and if you want to keep walking there is another week to walk to Finisterre and Muxia, then a week to relax before you return home.
This seems like a great compromise and it seems that going back for another walk is more than likely from the people here. Do you have any suggestions for a nice place to rest??

This seems like a great compromise and it seems that going back for another walk is more than likely from the people here. Do you have any suggestions for a nice place to rest??
Most are hooked after the first Camino, there is no cure, only treatment. :)
Walking short days, having you main bag carried and going private is all very doable and is not overly more expensive. There is a lot to be said for your own room, bathroom and shower after a day's walking.
Santiago is a beautiful city and is worth several days stay, so is Muxia and a few days here is also worth it. IMO.

Tp, sounds like you definitely need the full quid! Give up your worries. Are you located somewhere with a camino group? Meeting others who have done the Camino, or are planning to, will probably give you confidence. Look in the "Australian and New Zealand" section of the forum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tp, sounds like you definitely need the full quid! Give up your worries. Are you located somewhere with a camino group? Meeting others who have done the Camino, or are planning to, will probably give you confidence. Look in the "Australian and New Zealand" section of the forum.
Not sure how to find the Aussie section.? Full Quid really excites me but I am so nervous about being unprepared.

Also how do I change my name??

Tp - just jump in with the intention of floating - you'll be surprised at how well you swim! And don't be bothered by the talk of bed-bugs and snorers - my best nights have been in albergues. Although, of course, if you want private accommodation that is fine (if a little isolating) and there is no need to book in advance, as long as you carry a mobile phone.

If you go to the front page of the forum, and scroll down the very long list of topics and threads, you will eventually see the area for "Camino de Santiago around the world". Here's the section

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/australia-and-new-zealand.87/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Tp3660 or you could just add a name under your avatar - go to your profile page.

I do like Wayfarer's plan, using the post-Santiago bit as an option if you have extra time. This is assuming finishing in Santiago is important to you.

When I first walked the Frnces I didn't plan on Santiago, and the beauty is that since I had not completed the Frances I one day felt the need to do so and hence started the Camino addiction.

So, if you think you might be able to come back to the Camino one day, I would encourage you to start in SJPP, walk into Spain knowing that if you made it to Roncesvalles on day 1 you can do anything you set your heart to, and enjoy the view. Finish where you finish and come back one day.

If you are looking for introspection I would suggest you spend as little time as possible on the last 100km of the Frances as it's become very touristy, busy, loud and agitated.

I am a 23 km girl. I can do 25 and 27, but curse during the last 3-4. So if I have to do walk that distance here and there I do and am oh so very grateful when I reach the albergue shower. Lots of options on the Frances.

Bus and rail services are excellent in Spain, and even in the smallest village the person at the local bar can call a taxi for you to take you to where there is a bus or a train. So don't worry about that.

Decide if arriving in Santiago is important to you. If yes, work backwards. (I take 3 weeks off work, and that allows me 16 days of walk, or some 350 km, plus travel there and back). If you don't care about earning a Compostela in Santiago then start as far away as you can, and have the Camino call you again to complete the Frances one day. Warning, it will call!

I do like Wayfarer's plan, using the post-Santiago bit as an option if you have extra time. This is assuming finishing in Santiago is important to you.

When I first walked the Frnces I didn't plan on Santiago, and the beauty is that since I had not completed the Frances I one day felt the need to do so and hence started the Camino addiction.

So, if you think you might be able to come back to the Camino one day, I would encourage you to start in SJPP, walk into Spain knowing that if you made it to Roncesvalles on day 1 you can do anything you set your heart to, and enjoy the view. Finish where you finish and come back one day.

If you are looking for introspection I would suggest you spend as little time as possible on the last 100km of the Frances as it's become very touristy, busy, loud and agitated.

I am a 23 km girl. I can do 25 and 27, but curse during the last 3-4. So if I have to do walk that distance here and there I do and am oh so very grateful when I reach the albergue shower. Lots of options on the Frances.

Bus and rail services are excellent in Spain, and even in the smallest village the person at the local bar can call a taxi for you to take you to where there is a bus or a train. So don't worry about that.

Decide if arriving in Santiago is important to you. If yes, work backwards. (I take 3 weeks off work, and that allows me 16 days of walk, or some 350 km, plus travel there and back). If you don't care about earning a Compostela in Santiago then start as far away as you can, and have the Camino call you again to complete the Frances one day. Warning, it will call!
Certainly food for thought. I had wanted to get tio SC but not sure why. Guess i thought it was the thing to do!!
Good point about the busy last 100!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Tp3660, I also live in Melbourne and have done the CF 4times. I usually fly to return to Dublin then onto Biarritz with Ryanair.
For next May I have a return to Dublin for $1311 as yet I have not decided which Camino to do or walk in England. Good luck.

Tp3660, I also live in Melbourne and have done the CF 4times. I usually fly to return to Dublin then onto Biarritz with Ryanair.
For next May I have a return to Dublin for $1311 as yet I have not decided which Camino to do or walk in England. Good luck.
Hey Viogan. Dublin seem a lot longer flight. But does it make the Biarritz bit easier??

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back