• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues Cost

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPP-Finisterre, 2015
CP, Porto-Finisterre-Muxia, 2016
Hey folks!

I am considering the CP in 2016, after doing SJPP-Santiago this year. I am just looking around, and it seems like the CP is much more expensive than the CF. Is that true? I managed the CF on under 20€/day.

Can anyone give a rough daily budget? I am super minimal, don't drink coffee OR beer, and am vegan so I'll cook as often as I can.
Thanks for your help, and buen camino!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
CP was cheaper for us. It was the first route my hubby and I did without kids and so we ate out quite a bit instead of cooking for ourselves. Hubby likes his coffee and the odd beer but we still spent under 20 euros a day each. Food in Portugal is cheaper than Spain.

I walked out of Lissabon in 2014 and as there were not that many albergues, I sleept in small pensions. It was nice having my own room but it was more expensive (15 - 20 euro a night)
After Porto I spend the nights in albergues and as I remember the price was the same as in Spain. I found that the cost of food and drinks were slightly higher in Spain.
If you are careful with your spendings, you should be able to do in for 20 euros a day.
Buen Camino to you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can only speak for the porto-sdc part but of this part the portugues section of th walk was ALOT cheaper than the spanish part and way cheaper than the CF.

This is a first that i hear anyone saying the CP (or Portugal in general) is more expensive than Spain or the CF.

I think the CF is getting more and more expensive.

Portuguese section is cheaper than the Spanish section.
But ,both are cheap, say compared to UK, Italy or France.

I have also been studying the Portuguese and I am finding that if walking alone it will be more expensive because albergues at 5-10€ a night are not as common. Also some etapas between anykind of ned are quite long and may require being split with the help of a taxi to come fetch you, take you to an albergue and drop you off again in the morning where you ended up the night before.

Is that not correct?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is definately not the case for the Porto to SdC section.

Portugal is decidedly more economical to get around than Spain. However, the Xunta albergues in Spain are marginally more economical for sleeping at the expense of comfort.:(

Portugal is decidedly more economical to get around than Spain. However, the Xunta albergues in Spain are marginally more economical for sleeping at the expense of comfort.:(
So where did I go wrong with so many places with no albergies and only pensiones et al. at over 20€ a night?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can only speak about September-October - in my experience, the albergues between Lissabon and Porto are far apart, but very modern, and very nice, overall - averaging around 10-15 euros a night, but with that, you often have your own shower. In addition, because there are so few people walking that part of the Caminho Portugues, it is pretty easy to find a place to stay - in some places, where there are no albergues, you can stay at a hotel and pay around 15-20 euros a night - quite often, I was the only one staying at a hotel.

Once you get to Porto, things change drastically, and you are in quasi-Camino Frances mode - albergues tend not to be so nice, and can be crowded. The difference between Lissabon to Porto and Porto to Santiago is night and day - almost an entirely different camino. If you want to do the Lissabon to Porto stretch, be prepared for a far less 'social' - more solitary - experience. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but after about 8 days of solo walking, I was very hungry to meet other persons on the trail.

I can only speak about September-October - in my experience, the albergues between Lissabon and Porto are far apart, but very modern, and very nice, overall - averaging around 10-15 euros a night, but with that, you often have your own shower. In addition, because there are so few people walking that part of the Caminho Portugues, it is pretty easy to find a place to stay - in some places, where there are no albergues, you can stay at a hotel and pay around 15-20 euros a night - quite often, I was the only one staying at a hotel.

Once you get to Porto, things change drastically, and you are in quasi-Camino Frances mode - albergues tend not to be so nice, and can be crowded. The difference between Lissabon to Porto and Porto to Santiago is night and day - almost an entirely different camino. If you want to do the Lissabon to Porto stretch, be prepared for a far less 'social' - more solitary - experience. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but after about 8 days of solo walking, I was very hungry to meet other persons on the trail.
Thank you for clarifying this.

Thanks for the input!

Now, if you could only walk one section, either Lisbon-Porto OR Porto-Santiago, which would you walk?
Subjective, but it will help me decide if I want to walk it all or just a section :)

Thanks!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the input!

Now, if you could only walk one section, either Lisbon-Porto OR Porto-Santiago, which would you walk?
Subjective, but it will help me decide if I want to walk it all or just a section :)

Thanks!!
Have not walked it but all I have heard is that Lisbon to Oporto is a bit of a let down, and that is saying it kindly.

I just saw you've walked the Frances, so this is probably your second Camino. The Portugues was my second one as well. If you have to choose, I would probably recommend the Porto to Santiago, and then continue up to Fisterra and Muxia (but despite what the guidebooks say, I would, when leaving Pirto, walk early in the morning along the river in Porto to the coast, rather than taking the tram there). After Porto, you a beautiful coastline, some pretty hills and it's much, much easier on the feet than the Lisboa to Porto leg. There are many more people, as well, though I wouldn't say, when I walked it, that it's overcrowded. You also have the option of walking along inland or along more of tvhe coast on this part of the Portugues.

Of course, it really depends on what you like. Lisboa to Tomar is pretty flat, and can get pretty hot in summer, and most of the way up to Porto is very hard on the feet (lots and lots of cobblestones and asphalt), but you walk along the River Tejo a lot - but not all - of the way for the first few days, which is nice, and I really liked Tomar - a beautiful Templar town. Past Tomar all the way to Porto it still is pretty tough on the feet, but you get a taste of "off the beaten path" Portugal, and you eventually get to pass through Coimbra, which is a very lovely city. And again, you get to stay at some very nice albergues on the way, though the first eight days or so of the Lisboa to Porto walk involve very (long 30 km and more) stages. On the other hand, I met no more than six or so folks the whole way to Porto, and some of them ended up taking buses to Porto! As I mentioned, after about the eighth day, I was ready to meet other walkers, even though I am pretty independent - but that didn't really happen until I reached Porto :) from there to Santiago, and beyond, that's not a problem at all.

One other thing worth mentioning... One advantage of starting in Lisboa is Lisboa and environs itself. It is a gorgeous city and the nearby coast - though not part of the Caminho - is absolutely amazing, although you can always bus or train it back when you finish your walk if you do the Porto to Santiago leg.

As a fellow vegetarian - and an "almost" vegan (the very occasional yogurt in a pinch, but no eggs or cheese), hmmm, I have to say, food choices were kinda slim - I stocked up as much as possible (avocados and nuts as much as I could) at the larger supermarkets - salads and bread at night, though in Portugal there's a very delicious bean soup which is vegetarian as well. But food was problematic for me on all three caminos I've walked - whether in Portugal or in Spain - I am a bread lover but by the end of each walk I was ready to swear off bread for good! :). (Of course, that didn't last very long :)) At least the bread is pretty good in Portugal and in Galicia - usually!

Finally, I can't recommend strongly enough to continue on - weather be damned! - to Fisterra and then to Muxia. It is definitely worth it! And if you're lucky, you might not get wind and rain to boot!

Last edited:
I just saw you've walked the Frances, so this is probably your second Camino. The Portugues was my second one as well. If you have to choose, I would probably recommend the Porto to Santiago, and then continue up to Fisterra and Muxia (but despite what the guidebooks say, I would, when leaving Pirto, walk early in the morning along the river in Porto to the coast, rather than taking the tram there). After Porto, you a beautiful coastline, some pretty hills and it's much, much easier on the feet than the Lisboa to Porto leg. There are many more people, as well, though I wouldn't say, when I walked it, that it's overcrowded. You also have the option of walking along inland or along more of tvhe coast on this part of the Portugues.

Of course, it really depends on what you like. Lisboa to Tomar is pretty flat, and can get pretty hot in summer, and most of the way up to Porto is very hard on the feet (lots and lots of cobblestones and asphalt), but you walk along the River Tejo a lot - but not all - of the way for the first few days, which is nice, and I really liked Tomar - a beautiful Templar town. Past Tomar all the way to Porto it still is pretty tough on the feet, but you get a taste of "off the beaten path" Portugal, and you eventually get to pass through Coimbra, which is a very lovely city. And again, you get to stay at some very nice albergues on the way, though the first eight days or so of the Lisboa to Porto walk involve very (long 30 km and more) stages. On the other hand, I met no more than six or so folks the whole way to Porto, and some of them ended up taking buses to Porto! As I mentioned, after about the eighth day, I was ready to meet other walkers, even though I am pretty independent - but that didn't really happen until I reached Porto :) from there to Santiago, and beyond, that's not a problem at all.

One other thing worth mentioning... One advantage of starting in Lisboa is Lisboa and environs itself. It is a gorgeous city and the nearby coast - though not part of the Caminho - is absolutely amazing, although you can always bus or train it back when you finish your walk if you do the Porto to Santiago leg.

As a fellow vegetarian - and an "almost" vegan (the very occasional yogurt in a pinch, but no eggs or cheese), hmmm, I have to say, food choices were kinda slim - I stocked up as much as possible (avocados and nuts as much as I could) at the larger supermarkets - salads and bread at night, though in Portugal there's a very delicious bean soup which is vegetarian as well. But food was problematic for me on all three caminos I've walked - whether in Portugal or in Spain - I am a bread lover but by the end of each walk I was ready to swear off bread for good! :). (Of course, that didn't last very long :)) At least the bread is pretty good in Portugal and in Galicia - usually!

Finally, I can't recommend strongly enough to continue on - weather be damned! - to Fisterra and then to Muxia. It is definitely worth it! And if you're lucky, you might not get wind and rain to boot!

I went to Fisterra on my last Camino, so I think I will do Muxia this time :) Thanks for the input!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the input!

Thanks!!
It depends on what you want. Both of those stretches are stunning, IMHO, and provide fantastic experiences. Lisbon to Porto has incredible historical towns (Lisbon, Santarem, Tomar, Coimbra, Sao Joao, etc.) as well as lovely smaller places. I greatly enjoyed the walking there although it was certainly true that I saw few other pilgrims. That said, the smaller community of pilgrims made for a different - though still very enjoyable - experience. That section has some longer stages (that can be shortened if you do a search here) and is flatter. On the Porto to SdC portion, there are of course also historical towns (including Valenca!) but I preferred the ones south of Porto. I like walking in hills and north of Porto definitely provides that although don't count on the same heights as the CF. There are more albergues and many more pilgrims the whole stretch of the northern section which provides more of a CF experience if you want that. Two years ago, the trail marking was definitely better north of Porto but I hear that it has gotten better in the south. Either way you go, you should enjoy it. (at least according to people who have walked the routes) Bom Caminho!

Last edited:
Whew! Just as well we're all different in our thoughts, ideas and satisfaction!!
On my web site, Pilgrimage III was Lisbon to Porto, and the introduction reads: "A wonderful, wonderful 'camino'. This pilgrimage was a great success. In spite of bad blisters, the sun shone for the first two weeks, and I only had rain on one day - such a difference from the previous year. Again, I took many pictures. The little thunb-nail shown here is the ancient Roman road, passing through a forest on the way to Porto."
2f4ff5_74eeeaad0b70438f965eef43407f31a8.jpg

That's the original, 2,000 year old road!
All I can say is that I'd happily walk it again.
I'm of rather ...... shall we say 'mature' years? And if stages are more than 22-24 kms I take a bus. Come on guys - do you really think that, in medieval times, if a pilgrim was offered a lift by a passing horse and cart he'd turn it down?!?
All diares and pictures are downloadable from my web site.
I'm off next month on the Sureste Camino, then May is booked for the Primitivo.
That's the plan .... but you know what they say about plans .....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Come on guys - do you really think that, in medieval times, if a pilgrim was offered a lift by a passing horse and cart he'd turn it down?!?

Very true. We have been known to take a bus or a taxi a few times. Just a modern day equivalent of a horse and cart.

. Come on guys - do you really think that, in medieval times, if a pilgrim was offered a lift by a passing horse and cart he'd turn it down?!?

Hahaha, thats what i always say, but ooooh the real die hards never agree :)

I'm always trying to hitch a ride with a farmer on the back of his tractor, but unsuccesful up to know :( :) Thats would be my version of horse and cart.

Hahaha, thats what i always say, but ooooh the real die hards never agree :) I'm always trying to hitch a ride with a farmer on the back of his tractor, but unsuccesful up to know :( :) Thats would be my version of horse and cart.
Of course.
But I always think that bus drivers might be farmers in their spare time, so they can always offer me a lift!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
what the distance from lisbon to porto to santiago?
It all depends on the route you take and how many times you get lost but I figured 394km Lisbon to Porto and 264km from Porto to Santiago. I walked via the coastal route only the first day and a half out of Porto (Porto > Vila do Conde > Barcelos). FYI, I walked the first part in 15 days (plus two rest days) and the second part in 10 days (plus a half day walking from central Porto to Matosinhos). Bom Caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@james walter purdum iv you may find this link useful: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago All the Caminos, distances, accommodations etc. For instance from Malaga, not quite the southernmost tip of Spain but you will get wet walking South, you could take the Camino Mozarbe to join the Via de la Plata and on to Santiago, 1,190 kilometres (probably).

Happy planning

I have also been studying the Portuguese and I am finding that if walking alone it will be more expensive because albergues at 5-10€ a night are not as common. Also some etapas between anykind of ned are quite long and may require being split with the help of a taxi to come fetch you, take you to an albergue and drop you off again in the morning where you ended up the night before.

Is that not correct?
In Portugal are some municipal albergues at 5 or 6 € a day but also privat albergues , donative or about 10 €.
Some places you only find hostals.
The costs of food and drinks in Portugal are far cheaper than in Spain so that compensates.
In Spain the municipal albergues are 6€

Depending where you start -Lisbon or Porto.
From Lisbon indeed the distances are longer between your beds. But if you are a bit inventive (f.ex.read back on this forum and find the answers :) there is no need to use taxi's. The infrastructure had been changed significantly since we walked these stages in 2013 and a.o. Santarem hostal in cooperation with other albergues offer great possibilities with pick up services so your stages can be around 20 kms a day.
On the Porto leg all stages are about 20kms except for the last one ,Padrón to Santiago.24 kms but even there is at 12 kms from Padron is an albergue.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does the CP Coastal Route offer albergue-priced accommodation, too? I've been reading the Coastal is a tad pricier than the main route.

Does the CP Coastal Route offer albergue-priced accommodation, too? I've been reading the Coastal is a tad pricier than the main route.
There are!

First albergue in Povoa de Varzim , 35 kms north of Porto.
In Esposende seems to be one but not sure. We have a look today there to find out.
Viana do Castelo has none. Vila Praia de Âncora has no one but in both places is cheap hostal accommodation.Caminha has an albergue, A Guarda in Spain had one, Mougas too, Baiona no but 4 kms on in Nigrán is one and Luis Freixo offers rooms (search on this forum)
Vigo has no albergue but lots of hostals and hotels and then after you will be on the central Portuguese route with albergues everywhere.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back