• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Teresiano, The Way of St. Teresa

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to count!
I am seeking information and experiences from anyone who has done this Camino. It is not actually on the Via de la Plata, but can be an extension, starting in Àvila, and ending in Alba de Tormes, about 120 kilometers. From Alba de Tormes, it is 25 km to Salamanca where the Via de la Plata continues onward. If anyone has done this Camino Teresiano, celebrating the life, from cradle to grave, of St. Teresa, I would love to hear your thoughts on it! I plan to go in late September, and would like to hear about its popularity, albergues, challenges, beauty, etc. If anyone has stayed at the Monastery to Teresa in Àvila, I'd love to hear about that experience as well. Thank-you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
O my gosh, I wish I could go with you! In fact, I may well make this (health permitting!) my 2021 off-the-Frances adventure, since the 2021 Frances will be a madhouse. ...

When I visited Avila as a young man in the 1970s I thought that the cloister at the Monastario Real de Sto. Tomas (outside the walls) was just about the most civilized place I'd ever seen! I've seen some stunners since then, but it still has a place in my heart.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@rappahannock_rev, I located the Sto Tomas on the map and bookmarked it as a place to visit if I have time! There is so much to see in Àvila, I suppose I need to hang out a bit longer!

'Los Reyes Catolicos', Isabella and Ferdinand, buried their only son Crown Prince Juan there, and his monument is magnificent.... The infamous inquisitor Tomas de Torquemada was also buried there -- but his tomb was destroyed in the 19th C.

Last edited:
This one has been on my radar screen for a while, - about a week between Avila and Salamanca.
I have yet to walk it, but here is a link that might help:
Caminos de Santa Teresa-Siguiendo los pasos de Santa Teresa
@VNwalking, thank-you, I had already discovered this website. I was hoping for anecdotal experiences! It seems like it is on many folks' radar, but I can't see to locate anyone with direct experience. Maybe I should find a Spanish forum/FB page as I suppose this one is done mostly by locals.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@VNwalking, thank-you, I had already discovered this website. I was hoping for anecdotal experiences! It seems like it is on many folks' radar, but I can't see to locate anyone with direct experience. Maybe I should find a Spanish forum/FB page as I suppose this one is done mostly by locals.
I've only walked the first day, from Ávila to "la riente aldea" of Gotarrendura, where the Teresiano way coincides with the Camino de Levante. I enjoyed a busy rest day in Ávila, a beautiful city. Santo Tomás, as well as being the burial place of the young Prince of the Asturias, also has the original confessional that St Teresa used. Her baptismal font is in the church of John the Baptist, a couple of blocks from the cathedral, and there are many other places associated with her, including the convent of San José, the first one she founded.

Gotarrendura, an easy day's walk to the north, is less spectacular, but has a much stronger claim to be her birthplace (although Ávila greedily claims this honour as well, what evidence there is points to Gotarrendura). Her dovecot is still there, as is a statue put up in 1982 to mark the 400th anniversary of her death (I was there in 2014, so don't know if they put up another one the next year for the quincentenary of her birth). Ávila has an outstanding albergue just outside the city walls, and Gotarrendura an excellent one as well, although to enjoy the kitchen facilities of the latter you'll have to bring food from Ávila, as there is no shop in the village - and I believe the bar has closed down since I was there, which is very sad.

Although not on the Teresiano, Medina del Campo, a couple of days further north on the Levante is also worth a visit for her admirers. It was there that she first met St John of the Cross, and established her second convent, which now also houses an almost luxurious albergue (single rooms, sheets etc, and a full length bath). Also in the town is the castle Cesare Borgia escaped from, the room Queen Isabella died in, and what claims to be the oldest continuously operating butchers' market in the world.

One day I hope to get to Alba de Tormes, preferably on foot, and visit her grave (I've seen her right hand - which spent an unhappy 40 years being treated as his personal property by Franco - now safely housed in a Carmelite church in Ronda, on the Vía Serrana).

I am seeking information and experiences from anyone who has done this Camino. It is not actually on the Via de la Plata, but can be an extension, starting in Àvila, and ending in Alba de Tormes, about 120 kilometers. From Alba de Tormes, it is 25 km to Salamanca where the Via de la Plata continues onward. If anyone has done this Camino Teresiano, celebrating the life, from cradle to grave, of St. Teresa, I would love to hear your thoughts on it! I plan to go in late September, and would like to hear about its popularity, albergues, challenges, beauty, etc. If anyone has stayed at the Monastery to Teresa in Àvila, I'd love to hear about that experience as well. Thank-you!
Maybe you are the chosen one to tell us all about it??

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@alansykes post is really great and I can second his words about Avila, Avila-Gotarrendura, Gotarrendura and Medina del Campo (was there last year for the second time).
Camino Teresiano is also on my bucket list but in combination with Camino Manchego (Ciudad Real - Toledo), Levante (Toledo - Avila), Teresiano (Avila - Salamanca, I checked the sideroads from Alba de Tormes to Salamanca and it can be done on gravel AG roads), Camino Torres (Salamanca - Ponte de Lima) and Portugues (PdL - SdC). I think it would be a beautiful experience.

@Elle Bieling I hope you will post some info in this thread from or after your Camino.

Have a nice day planning :)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Teresiano would link perfectly with Camino Torres from Salamanca 😎.
Indeed. Especially for those who have walked VdlP before and want something new. But if you haven't walked Sanabres or VdlP Portugues it's not far from Salamanca to La Granja de Moreruela/Zamora, just few stages on the VdlP. These are two more options.

I'm starting to believe it! I hope I can live up to the challenge. ;)
If the accounts you have written about on the other Caminos you have walked is any indication, you will make interested parties very happy. I have enjoyed your writings and they have personally been helpful to me when I planned my Primitivo and now the Portuguese. I leave on April 15th!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Elle,
I have done this camino in May 2017 from Avila to Alba. I didn't bother to walk to Salamanca(bus), the guide and the markings ending in Alba.
By the way, the marking in red with uniquely stylized arrows and markers is excellent.
As far as popularity is concerned, I haven't met one single pilgrim, except for the first leg Avila-Gotarrendura where it coincides with the Levante.
Gotarrendura has a lot to offer concerning Santa Teresa and it's worth visiting the dovecote, museum, etc. The albergue is also very interesting.
For the rest of the way, I didn't experience any particular difficulties, no challenging sections worth mentioning. I reached Alba by the south branch (Camino Sur).
Albergues are few and I didn't bother with them, staying in commercial accommodations, which are readily available.
The country side is mostly flat land with farming activities. The few locals I talked to were, as usual in Spain, very helpful and friendly.
This is a very short camino that overall didn't leave me with any unforgettable experience but was nevertheless enjoyable.
Upon completion, you should experience an excellent reception(photo opp) at the Oficina de Turismo in Alba(castillo), where you receive your certificate.
I wish you an enjoyable camino.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

If the accounts you have written about on the other Caminos you have walked is any indication, you will make interested parties very happy. I have enjoyed your writings and they have personally been helpful to me when I planned my Primitivo and now the Portuguese. I leave on April 15th!
Thank you @CaminoChris and have a most enjoyable journey! Glad I could be of help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much Jean-Marc @Canuck! I was so happy to get your report. Did you do the walk to Alba in 4 or 5 days? The third stage from Fontiveros to Narros de Castillo is quite short, but to combine it with the fourth stage to is too long for me at 36 km. Mancera de Abajo seems perfect at about 27 km. The Teresiano website says there is an albergue there, but I find no accommodations there on the map at all. Do you remember staying here or did you walk through?
I also plan to do the southern route. And it does look like a flat walk through fields for the most part. That is fine by me as I plan to do this walk solo and hope to enjoy the solitary nature of it as well.
I look forward to the warm reception in Alba! If it is any bit as warm as the reception we got at the cathedral in Oviedo getting the Salvadorana, after walking the San Salvador, it will be enjoyable indeed!

Hi Elle,
I did it as follows:
1 - Avila-Gotarrendura (Albergue).
2 - Fontiveros ((Centro cultural con alojamiento y bar-restaurante (Posada Espacio San Juan de la Cruz)) First Class, decent price.
3 - Narros del Castillo (Albergue) If you're interested, ask at the Posada in Fontiveros and they will direct you to the mayor of Narros who has an office(lawyer) two or three doors down. Excellent reception, although the albergue is of poor quality. The bar will feed you. There is a ''tienda de comidas'' but not kitchen at the albergue.
4 - Macotera (Casa Rural/Calle Prado) Ask at the Restaurant El Montaraz(excellent food and very friendly) as you enter the village. They will call the Casa Rural to pick you up at the restaurant. First class accommodation.
5 - Alba de Tormes. Info: http://www.caminosteresianos.com/lugares/alba-de-tormes
As mentioned before, I went straight to Salamanca by bus, after having a good time in Alba at the local fair.
Here is another reference for this camino: http://delacunaalsepulcro.es/la-ruta/

In Mancera de Abajo, the albergue is brand new and located in the old school building. https://www.lagacetadesalamanca.es/...albergue-peregrinos-ruta-teresiana-PQGS157008
Ask at the City Hall or at the Bar Cielito Lindo for the key and direction. The bar does food on request. The owner specializes in raising Hound Dogs for rabbit hunting, a popular hunters' activity in the area.

Since I'm in Florida for the winter, I had to pick my brain a bit to come up with what I hope is valuable info.
Cheers!
P-S. I'll be in Spain in May and June, walking on short different caminos, such as Via Serrena, Camino Manchego, part of Via de la Plata to Salamanca (a repeat) and also a bit on the Levante (a repeat of Medina del Campos to Tordesillas to enjoy the refreshing Verdejo white wine of the area). Don't miss it.

Hi Elle,
I did it as follows:
1 - Avila-Gotarrendura (Albergue).
2 - Fontiveros ((Centro cultural con alojamiento y bar-restaurante (Posada Espacio San Juan de la Cruz)) First Class, decent price.
3 - Narros del Castillo (Albergue) If you're interested, ask at the Posada in Fontiveros and they will direct you to the mayor of Narros who has an office(lawyer) two or three doors down. Excellent reception, although the albergue is of poor quality. The bar will feed you. There is a ''tienda de comidas'' but not kitchen at the albergue.
4 - Macotera (Casa Rural/Calle Prado) Ask at the Restaurant El Montaraz(excellent food and very friendly) as you enter the village. They will call the Casa Rural to pick you up at the restaurant. First class accommodation.
5 - Alba de Tormes. Info: http://www.caminosteresianos.com/lugares/alba-de-tormes
As mentioned before, I went straight to Salamanca by bus, after having a good time in Alba at the local fair.
Here is another reference for this camino: http://delacunaalsepulcro.es/la-ruta/

In Mancera de Abajo, the albergue is brand new and located in the old school building. https://www.lagacetadesalamanca.es/...albergue-peregrinos-ruta-teresiana-PQGS157008
Ask at the City Hall or at the Bar Cielito Lindo for the key and direction. The bar does food on request. The owner specializes in raising Hound Dogs for rabbit hunting, a popular hunters' activity in the area.

Since I'm in Florida for the winter, I had to pick my brain a bit to come up with what I hope is valuable info.
Cheers!
P-S. I'll be in Spain in May and June, walking on short different caminos, such as Via Serrena, Camino Manchego, part of Via de la Plata to Salamanca (a repeat) and also a bit on the Levante (a repeat of Medina del Campos to Tordesillas to enjoy the refreshing Verdejo white wine of the area). Don't miss it.
Jean-Marc not only did you answer my question precisely, you absolutely knocked it out of the ballpark with additional information! I expected a brief answer. I am so grateful for this information and to you for picking your brain and spending the additional time to write it all up. The additional reference looks very, very useful and I will most certainly use it to plan each day. After seeing the access to facilities, who knows, I may even do the northern section as well. Thank you so much again and have a most wonderful Camino. Ultreia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here is an update for all of you who seem interested in the Caminos Teresianos. Or otherwise known as the Ruta Teresiana, as I have come to find out! My Camino, it seems has already begun, and I have done the research for this article: Camino Teresiano. If anyone wants to add their 2-cents, just let me know. Some of you have already contributed! ;)

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back