• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Virgin - Major life change - Loads of questions

MichaelTBN

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago Frances(2016)
Hi Guys,

What a great experience reading all the posts in this lovely forum!

Very amazing to see a community where so many people are sharing information and experiences, without expecting anything in return.

My life has been quite the rollercoaster for the last few months. Due to some life changing events, I have now freed up 3 weeks of possible Camino time, something that has been on my bucket list since I was in my early 20s. I am now in my late 20s, and my mind is very set on pursuing the Camino.

With only 3 weeks walking, I know a full Camino is not possible!

My plan is to fly out to Biarritz and then by bus to SJPP. From here 2,5 to 3 weeks of walking!

1. My first questions is, how do I, in the best way possible, get from somewhere mid route, to a return airport? Would it be possible just to catch a bus to Santiago, and then fly home from there, os is there any alternate return points closer mid route?

2. Accomodation. From what I have read on this forum, getting accomodation, should not be a problem. As I am planning on flying out a week from now, booking from home is making zero to little sense. Is my assumption correct - Accomodation is not a problem?

3. Planned route. The specific route is really not the most important thing for me. I need som time for self reflection, and I would love to meet som nice people along the way! Any how. Would there be a more suitable route for a 2,5 - 3 week Camino walk?

Hope some of you veterans will spend 5 minutes answering my questions, and sharing some great info!

All The best
Michael

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Michael,

In answer to your first question - if you start from St. Jean and walk for about 3 weeks, I'd suggest that you fly home from Madrid. Here's a really useful thread with information about connections to Madrid: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...or-train-links-with-madrid.41829/#post-427659
Regardless of where you end up, you should never be too far from a town or city that has a link to Madrid.

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi MichaelTBN! Welcome to the forum!

1. My first questions is, how do I, in the best way possible, get from somewhere mid route, to a return airport? Would it be possible just to catch a bus to Santiago, and then fly home from there, os is there any alternate return points closer mid route?

It depends on where do you have to fly to and on where you end your walking.

2. Accomodation. From what I have read on this forum, getting accomodation, should not be a problem. As I am planning on flying out a week from now, booking from home is making zero to little sense. Is my assumption correct - Accomodation is not a problem?

There are some albergues that can't be booked in advance in which case you just have to arrive before the last bed is booked/occupied. Sometimes accommodations in a town get full/busy but accommodations in next town aren't full/so busy although, of course, this also works the other way around; i.e.: accommodations in one town may be not full/busy but accommodations in next town may be full. If the camino is really full/busy, don't overlook accommodations that are on towns close to the camino but not on the camino itself. I would suggest to go with the flow, don't end your walk late, and if you see too many pilgrims walking at the same time than you and you foresee problems to get an accommodation or a bed race that makes you feel unconfortable, booking the day before should be enough. Accommodations that you could book in advance include some albergues, pensiones, hostales, hotels...

A "full" Camino is a bit of a misnomer.

The Spanish pilgrims usually consider Roncesvalles as the starting point of the Camino Frances.
Starting in SJPdP has no real historical significance and is a fairly modern addition to the Camino conversation.
A full Camino would start at one's home and be followed by walking back.

Three weeks is a very nice spot of time to walk and many here will envy you. You have many excellent options.

Consider doing the opposite of your plan....start midway and walk into Santiago to experience the joy of arrival. You could do this on the Frances or the Portuguese route or the Primitivo.

The Camino Frances is not "The" Camino....just the route that has been talked about the most in modern times. The others (Norte, Primitivo, etc,) are equally important.

Perhaps not a full Camino Frances, but there are other routes that you can complete in 3 weeks. I believe that the Inglés or perhaps the Portuguese routes would be doable in that time frame.
I think my plan is to walk from SJPP to Leon. Should be around 400+ km, and suitable for my timeframe, but thanks for the great advice!

Michael

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi MichaelTBN! Welcome to the forum!

It depends on where do you have to fly to and on where you end your walking.

There are some albergues that can't be booked in advance in which case you just have to arrive before the last bed is booked/occupied. Sometimes accommodations in a town get full/busy but accommodations in next town aren't full/so busy although, of course, this also works the other way around; i.e.: accommodations in one town may be not full/busy but accommodations in next town may be full. If the camino is really full/busy, don't overlook accommodations that are on towns close to the camino but not on the camino itself. I would suggest to go with the flow, don't end your walk late, and if you see too many pilgrims walking at the same time than you and you foresee problems to get an accommodation or a bed race that makes you feel unconfortable, booking the day before should be enough. Accommodations that you could book in advance include some albergues, pensiones, hostales, hotels...

Thanks for your reply. This post really gave me som peace in mind! My biggest concern is the lack of accommodation. But again, this might become part of the experience as well. Just going with the flow. I am really looking forward to my Camino experience ! :)

Michael

A "full" Camino is a bit of a misnomer.

The Spanish pilgrims usually consider Roncesvalles as the starting point of the Camino Frances.
Starting in SJPdP has no real historical significance and is a fairly modern addition to the Camino conversation.
A full Camino would start at one's home and be followed by walking back.

Three weeks is a very nice spot of time to walk and many here will envy you. You have many excellent options.

Consider doing the opposite of your plan....start midway and walk into Santiago to experience the joy of arrival. You could do this on the Frances or the Portuguese route or the Primitivo.

The Camino Frances is not "The" Camino....just the route that has been talked about the most in modern times. The others (Norte, Primitivo, etc,) are equally important.

Hi Grayland,

Thanks for the historical info. You gave me something to think about! I've been looking quite a lot at the Primitivo route after your post, but I still think the walk from SJPP to Leon will be just as an exciting an experience.

Do you have any cons to metion about this specific route?

Best,
Michael

Hi Guys,

First: Welcome here!

No problem, really: The bus network in Spain is superb and cheap & reliable: It will bring you to an airport in a few hours. Same with the train system. If it comforts you, book a cheap bed for the first night at www.booking.com

Accomodation is not a problem: You are young (and fit, I assume), so you should be at an albergue at 1 PM and have an affordable bed for the night. Start very early (not for the bed; for the sun heat), and stop at a reasonable time. IMHO much of the fuzz about no beds are made by people who walk well into the afternoon and believe there is an endless row of vacant beds.

3. Planned route. The specific route is really not the most important thing for me. I need som time for self reflection, and I would love to meet som nice people along the way! Any how. Would there be a more suitable route for a 2,5 - 3 week Camino walk?
Hope some of you veterans will spend 5 minutes answering my questions, and sharing some great info!
If I were you, I would get a train from wherever your plane lands, to Burgos, and start from there. Why?

• You will be able to reach Santiago within your available time.
  • 2 days after Burgos, you are walking up on the flat Meseta, a perfect place for 7-9 days of silent contemplation.
  • You will pass Cruz de Ferro.
  • You will pass O'Cebreiro.
  • You will walk in Galicia.
  • You will be able to celebrate (and cry) with your newfound pilgrim friends (yes, some of them may even be for life).
  • By choosing the CF, you WILL meet many people. Other Caminos may be lonely experiences.
But all is entirely up to you, and whatever you choose, I wish you

BUEN CAMINO!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another tip: You can plan your itinerary at www.godesalco.com/plan : In minutes, you can set up start & finish points, plan daily etapas (distances), get info on where there are albergues, hostals etc., get daily distances, elevations, daily route profiles (ascents/decents, etc.). Print out sheets and maybe laminate them back to back. Pretty much all you will need, in addition to following the yellow arrows. It is a free service, but maybe make a donation if it helps you.

The Camino is not difficult. Fly in, go to your starting point, and start walking. Much will come by naturally. And you will find lots of helpful people on your way.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
There's Ă  lot to be said in favour of starting in SJPdP or Burgos or Leon. If you're planning to eventually walk the "whole" Frances, then starting in St Jean, Roncevalles or Pamplona would seem the best option but I personally enjoyed Leon to Santiago more than the section to Burgos because the Galician stretch was more interesting walking and you have the euphoria of walking into Santiago and all that goes with it. There's also the influx of new walkers at Sarria which is often discussed on this forum and is annoying to some.

Buses to Madrid are readily available along the route. From memory, Burgos to Madrid is about 3 or 4 hours and Asturias about the same from Leon with spectacular scenery along the way.

You'll find all kinds of walkers from those who walked out of their front door and started theis Camino months ago to those who are fitting in a few days walking as part of a grand tour. If you don't find kindred spirits or at least engaging company, you'll be unlucky and you'll find solitude if you want it, with the exception of a couple of days after Sarria.

I can't advise on accommodation because I always book in advance wherever I'm walking but at this time of year, hostel beds will be under pressĂąre. People do book a couple of days ahead if beds are in short supply and quite a few hotels, guest houses and private hostels are on sites like Booking.com. There are hotels, boarding houses, bars with rooms, village halls and even church porches along the way. Not having a schedule means that you can grab a bed where you see one. I wouldn't go on that basis but then I'm old and boring.

Best of luck

You'll find lots of opinions on where to start, and mine is SJPP, and walk until you run out of time. Navarre is beautiful and different from later stretches. Plus you can get halfway, and finish another year.
No need to book far ahead. If you are having trouble finding a bed, just book a day ahead. The Wise Pilgrim app is useful for booking albergues that can be reserved and hostales (small hotels).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a pilgrimage to the tomb of St. James. While starting in France and crossing the Pyrenees is an accomplishment in its own right, it may be icing on the cake that is the arrival at the Cathedral in Santiago! If you are just testing your body and your discipline, you may want to pick the tough stretches or the scenic stretches. Examine what you want from the experience, and make the right choice for you. Buses parallel most of the route, so you can pick up days when you want to, and the cost is quite modest. You can skip any section in a taxi; it just costs a bit more than a bus!!

I think that the reason that the Spanish start from their front door (or Roncesvalles or Pamplona if their front door is going to require a start on a bus or train) is that they view it as a Catholic homage to St. James. SJPdP has little to contribute to that motivation. :)

@MichaelTBN I think your original plan of walking from SJPDP to Leon is fine. The Cathedral in Leon is a glorious way to end the first stage and you can come back another day and walk from Leon to SDC. As I am sure you will; you will be hooked!

Another tip: You can plan your itinerary at www.godesalco.com/plan : In minutes, you can set up start & finish points, plan daily etapas (distances), get info on where there are albergues, hostals etc., get daily distances, elevations, daily route profiles (ascents/decents, etc.). Print out sheets and maybe laminate them back to back. Pretty much all you will need, in addition to following the yellow arrows. It is a free service, but maybe make a donation if it helps you.

The Camino is not difficult. Fly in, go to your starting point, and start walking. Much will come by naturally. And you will find lots of helpful people on your way.

Buen Camino!

Hi Alex,

Your two posts above were amazing! Thanks for making a list of obvious pros of starting mid-way and ending in Santiago! I am quite fit, so it gave me some comfort to know what accomodation should be ok, if walking is done early / mid day!

I will plan on starting from Burgos. Just need to figure out where to fly back from. I live in Denmark, so the assumed entry point will be Madrid, and then back from Santiago ( Maybe train from Santiago to Madrid ( return flight).

Again Alex, Thanks for your amazing post.

Bedste hilsner / Best Regards
Michael

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@MichaelTBN I think your original plan of walking from SJPDP to Leon is fine. The Cathedral in Leon is a glorious way to end the first stage and you can come back another day and walk from Leon to SDC. As I am sure you will; you will be hooked!
Kanga,

I think this will be my plan. Simply because its easier to fly home from Madrid, and fly out to Biarritz. And you are right. This will feel a bit more like finishing 1. half, instead of cheating and going for 2. half :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Doing the "2nd half" is not cheating! There's no official starting point, so anywhere is valid. The people who live in Burgos and started the pilgrimage at their own doors are not less pilgrims than others...

You seem keen to do SJPDP to Burgos, and that's an amazing choice. However, I was going to suggest exactly "the other half". Burgos has a magnificent Cathedral to start from, and walking through the meseta, the valley of Bembibre, the Templar castle in Ponferrada and crossing Galicia is just wonderful.

And trains and buses in Spain are so easy that you will have no problem getting back to an airport - Madrid, Biarritz, Vigo. Accomodaton is also very easy, if you are open to try all sorts of sleeping places. There is always an albergue, an inn or a fancy place, depending on what you prefer ^^

Enjoy, this trip will be fantastic!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back