• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cheapest way to Seville

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I've been searching out different options for getting to Seville in January, and wondering how people tend to get there. Flights from here to Seville are quite expensive. Flights to Madrid seem to be the cheapest, so perhaps flying to Madrid and then a train from Madrid to Seville?

After much searching earlier this year, I found that flying home from Porto was the cheapest way for me to return from the CF, which I wouldn't have expected and wasn't aware of. So I'm wondering if there's also a cheap-ish route to Seville that I might not be aware of.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
JustJack is from Vancouver in Canada. Seville has an airport with European connections but not so much transatlantic. Madrid or Porto or Lisbon would be better options and then train, bus or domestic flight. For Portugal/ Canada, explore flights via the Azores.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are prepared to take the risk inherent in managing two separate bookings, consider getting to Porto, Lisbon or Madrid, and flying one of the low cost airlines to Seville. My wife and I recently flew Porto to Seville and back using Ryanair. We were careful to know the 'rules', and work within them. Things went quite smoothly.

It might help if you said where you are travelling from. Hard to make suggestions of a route when you only know one half of the story.
Oops yes it would help if I included that. West coast of Canada. Vancouver.

I was intrigued by @dick bird's mention of travelling via the Azores. That hadn't crossed my mind. Just been playing around with the Kayak flight search engine - I love fantasy travel planning! :cool: Working on the assumption of a stay about 1 month long from mid-January to mid-February. Lisbon and Porto work out very similar in price from Vancouver while Madrid is a bit more expensive for return fares and a lot more for one-way. Looks like you can fly Vancouver to Porto one-way from about C$530 in mid-January or about C$570 to Lisbon. From either city another C$70 - C$100 should get you a short flight to Seville. Return air fares are not all that much cheaper than booking two single trips out and back.

If you are looking for an even cheaper route have you considered going via London? Fares in January from Vancouver to London from about C$350. Then a flight to Seville starting from about C$45. Though you may have to switch airports in London. You could travel back via London cheaply from any of the major airports in Spain or Portugal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you decide by Madrid, there are a few AVE trains each day which you can take from the airport, changing in Atocha station.

Yes, I would fly into Madrid and sleep a night and then take the AVE fast train from Atocha to Seville. Oiogo may soon be going to Seville per their website and they are a high speed budget line and if they are traveling that route their tickets will be very inexpensive although less comfortable.(Less legroom, more crowded, less space for luggage/backpack).

I flew into Madrid, arriving around noon, then got an afternoon train to Sevilla. It worked a treat and for me was both convenient and economical (if you book the train well ahead).
I came from Australia, and my walking mates did the same from their base in Paris.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are prepared to take the risk inherent in managing two separate bookings
One of the unexplained risks is that if for some reason your first flight is delayed and you miss the second flight you are stuck with no connection Neither airline has any responsibility to you because they are separate bookings. Unless I have a day or more between flights I never consider this money saving trick as in my travels I have seen too many freaking out when they discover they need to buy an expensive last minute ticket.

I've been searching out different options for getting to Seville in January, and wondering how people tend to get there. Flights from here to Seville are quite expensive. Flights to Madrid seem to be the cheapest, so perhaps flying to Madrid and then a train from Madrid to Seville?

After much searching earlier this year, I found that flying home from Porto was the cheapest way for me to return from the CF, which I wouldn't have expected and wasn't aware of. So I'm wondering if there's also a cheap-ish route to Seville that I might not be aware of.
ROME2RIO app ! It’s my best friend!

Check flights from Santiago to Sevilla with Vueling , depending on the day they have very reasonable fairs on the direct fligts

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One of the unexplained risks is that if for some reason your first flight is delayed and you miss the second flight you are stuck with no connection Neither airline has any responsibility to you because they are separate bookings. Unless I have a day or more between flights I never consider this money saving trick as in my travels I have seen too many freaking out when they discover they need to buy an expensive last minute ticket.
It is certainly appropriate to be cautious about the gap between flights if they are on different tickets. I would check with your travel insurer to confirm what minimum time they require in between arrival and departure to cover the cost of any delay caused by late arrival of the earlier flight. Insurers I have used have required six hours minimum, which will seem like a long time hanging around. But disembarkation, immigration, baggage collection and custom procedures will take up some of that, and many airlines are now requiring you to be at check-in three hours before departure. The time will fly!

The cheapest way from Madrid to Seville is likely to be bus. See, for example, https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/destination/seville. But it takes over twice as long as the train, and the higher cost of the train is likely to be insignificant in the context of a journey from western Canada. For train information www.seat61.com is a reliable starting point.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back