• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choice of route

Aquitaine

I would like to get off the train in Hendaye this summer and cycle to Santiago - road bike, not VTT. I am torn between del Norte and Primitivo on the one hand and Vasco and Frances on the other. I am told that del Norte is beautiful, but an unrelenting switchback. On the other hand, as I read the map, the Vitoria-Gasteiz district looks to be dominated by big, cycle-unfriendly, roads. Any recommendations?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
Cannot answer in entirety, but have cycled Camino del Norte on a road bike (in 2005), starting from Santander. Yes the route is a bit of a switch back, but from my experience of Spain, so is everywhere else! If you are an experienced cyclist you should have no problem with the terrain. In fact one of our party was not even a cyclist before the ride. At the end of 10 days of hills she certainly was by the time we got to Santiago!
This year we are doing Camino del Norte to Santiago and Primitivo back, again on road bikes. Norte follows coast for most of the way to Ribadeo, so lots of interesting coast line and fishing villages to see. From Ribadeo to Arzua is also interesting and very scenic, don't miss an overnight at the monastery of Sobrado! From Arzua is mainly main road so not so good. This time I am going to try a parallel alternative from Arzua to Santiago.
I did some posts about cycling Camino del Norte, see the thread "Travelling by Bike" circa 4thJune.
This web page shows some of the places worth visiting, inc the monastery at Sobrado. See http://anerleybc.org/planning-a-cycling-adventure/

picosrider said:
Hi,
... From Ribadeo to Arzua is also interesting and very scenic, don't miss an overnight at the monastery of Sobrado! From Arzua is mainly main road so not so good. This time I am going to try a parallel alternative from Arzua to Santiago.
I did some posts about cycling Camino del Norte, see the thread "Travelling by Bike" circa 4thJune.
This web page shows some of the places worth visiting, inc the monastery at Sobrado. See http://anerleybc.org/planning-a-cycling-adventure/

Picosrider,

Although a walker and not a biker I always enjoy your practical posts. I agree that the Sobrado dos Monxes monastery should not be missed.

In March 2007 I walked there from Arzua; it was quite a day! Stayed at the albergue within the Cistercian monastery. This complex is a Baroque masterpiece, but my pilgrim dorm was a actually a renovated stable; no other pilgrims were there and it was freezing! Earlier I wandered alone through the other structures in awe. Attended Vespers with one other 'outsider'. The service was held in a splendid circular contemporary space. Walls were painted white or natural wood. All was lit by thick candles. The monks wearing their white robes responded in unison. It was a privilege to share such a timeless ambiance.

Buen Camino!

Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Margaret,
Nice to hear from you. We stayed at Sobrado in 2005, 2 male/2 female. I don't know about the ladies accommodation, but for us men we had a very large dormatory above the cloisters, but were the only ones there! As you say it is an awe inspiring place, a definite must for travellers on the Camino del Norte.
Unfortunately I had picked up a bug a few days earlier on the coast at Cudillero. One of our ladies was a doctor and I was on a strict diet of toast or dried bread and water with sugar added for energy. A prison diet! When we got to the monastery I was very weak and needed to sleep, so I did not enjoy the full splenders of the place. It was not until we got to Arzua that I was allowed my first meal, two tins of baby food. A revolting meat broth and some fruit puree. At least when I got to Santiago I felt that I had earned my plenary indulgence!
Hasta otra vez, a slimmer Picos Rider!

Most read last week in this forum

Hope to do st Jean de port to finisterre in September 24 on bike. To buy a bike in Ireland and transport or buy in France. Any thoughts welcomed
Is there a dedicated guide for cyclists that suggests alternatives to the rocky/steep parts of the trail? I found a link to a 2018 one on another thread, but it is no longer available.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back