• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Induction Stove Tops...Alien Tech? or How to operate controls?

ShellToucher

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 22
Spring 23
Summer or Fall 24
The title is a joke, I really appreciate whenever I have the opportunity to cook while on the camino, for just myself or a group...but oh lordy, those digital stove tops hurt my brain! Can anyone recommend a good how to vid or other form of instruction? We don't have anything (I have ever seen) in the U.S. that is similar controls-wise. I have gotten them to work but it was really unclear how. (possibly praying the rosary or swearing at it in Spanish?) THEN, each time I found myself standing in front of one along the way, I was once more trying to crack the code and decipher the characters. Anyone else have this experience? (I also somehow locked myself in a bathroom to on my first camino for almost an hour, if that explains anything.)

Now, who holds the key to this riddle?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well it is so simple that even I can use it 😀.
Would not change it for any other hob.
MIne is a Siemens though the concept and manual should be the same for other brands.

I see in your bio that you are into " Camino Inspired/Tested Gear " so surely an induction hob should be simple stuff for you?

MIne is a Siemens though the concept and manual should be the same for other brands.

I see in your bio that you are into " Camino Inspired/Tested Gear " so surely an induction hob should be simple stuff for you?
Respectfully, even the owner of one of the apartments we rented as a group (when the albergues were full) had to get the neighbor to show me how to use it! It's just a tad confusing. But to clarify, I have used Induction stoves before, but the ones in spain use what seems to be code? So in short, it's the control terminal that's all greek to me. It's not even clear how to turn it on sometimes, lol. I not sure by your comment if you have seen them while on the Camino? If you have I apologize! And if you have, what do the differnt symbols mean?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am staying at a friend's house while my own house is being heavily renovated. She has an induction hob. Now I understand the controls I love the thing - astonishingly fast and responsive. When I get round to refitting my own kitchen I want one!

Power on is usually a circle within a square. Individual hobs usually selected from the left, Firestone rear, second front, third front right, the last should be obvious. So, power on, select hob, use the plus/minus buttons to increase/ decrease power input. AND don’t bother with any of that until you have a pan with content on the hob or it will simply power off all by itself

Or you could just put the model number into Godgle and watch the tediously informative videos on Ubend 😉

Oh, and as an edit: if it doesn’t make nice beeping noises every time you press a button that means someone has turned off the power source so you’re looking for a big light switch, close to the hob, with a red LED that will hopefully brighten when you press it.

If in doubt plan salad 😉

Respectfully, even the owner of one of the apartments we rented as a group (when the albergues were full) had to get the neighbor to show me how to use it! It's just a tad confusing. But to clarify, I have used Induction stoves before, but the ones in spain use what seems to be code? So in short, it's the control terminal that's all greek to me. It's not even clear how to turn it on sometimes, lol. I not sure by your comment if you have seen them while on the Camino? If you have I apologize! And if you have, what do the differnt symbols mean?

On my Caminos in Spain I have only seen gas hobs or those inferior ceramic ones which I do not like seeing you can't control the cookingtimes ( less responsive than induction or gas ) on those.

Balay is a brand that is well known in Spain.
So maybe check out one of those manuals.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am staying at a friend's house while my own house is being heavily renovated. She has an induction hob. Now I understand the controls I love the thing - astonishingly fast and responsive. When I get round to refitting my own kitchen I want one!

I love mine! When I moved to this house there was no gas in the street so I was obliged to buy induction.
No regrets. As good as a gas hob when it comes to results and the surface is much nicer to clean.

Or you could just put the model number into Godgle and watch the tediously informative videos on Ubend 😉
That's what I had to do when confronted with a combination oven/microwave in an apartment in Portugal while I was in Covid isolation.
I love mine! When I moved to this house there was no gas in the street so I was obliged to buy induction.
No regrets. As good as a gas hob when it comes to results and the surface is much nicer to clean.
And the indoor air quality is better with induction that gas. I wish that I had one!

Many will know the classic Pasta Puttanesca. A sauce of garlic, dried chili, anchovies in olive oil, pickled capers and bottled (tinned) tomatoes. All the ingredients the “Puttana” would have in her larder.

The sauce could be made quickly, while the water for the pasta boiled. The trouble with an induction hob is that the water has boiled while I’m still slicing the garlic….

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

This one has good subtitles. I had to use a video the first several times I encountered one at an albergue. There is also a feature which locks it and I also had to watch a video on how to unlock it. Also your pans need to be compatible. At one albergue this winter our pan was not compatible and thankfully it was the last day before we finished.

Our washing machine door broke at one albergue and I watched a video on how to open the door with a wire loop. I don't use YouTube often, but it has saved me a few times.

I feel your pain...

I am considered to be a fairly reliable person to "manage tech"....for decades. Capable of programming a DVR or VHS unit without assistance from a 12-year-old, I am.

But those induction units?

Even with the dubious assistance of a beer or two, they are always a struggle for me. I tended to share my grub and chop veg and meat for whoever knew how to use the darn thing.

On the bright side, I am now proficient at assembling a mixed salad with tuna or a top-grade bocadillo with any filling one prefers.

B

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When all else fails, I do a web search for the instruction manual and download that, not only for stovetops but any of the appliances that no longer have the paper based manual available where I am staying. While I might prefer the manufacturer's support pages, there are several more generic sources of manuals for all kinds of products that will help.

This one has good subtitles. I had to use a video the first several times I encountered one at an albergue. There is also a feature which locks it and I also had to watch a video on how to unlock it. Also your pans need to be compatible. At one albergue this winter our pan was not compatible and thankfully it was the last day before we finished.

Our washing machine door broke at one albergue and I watched a video on how to open the door with a wire loop. I don't use YouTube often, but it has saved me a few times.
Ahhhhh, the pans need to be compatible too! This is good to know! Glad to learn i’m not the only one! Just didn’t find it to be intuitive or obvious at all. Thank you!

Ahhhhh, the pans need to be compatible too! This is good to know! Glad to learn i’m not the only one! Just didn’t find it to be intuitive or obvious at all. Thank you!
If it is an induction stove. There are many stoves with a radiant element that have similar controls.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

But you don't say how...

And what happens if you use the wrong pan? Explosion?

I've used the induction ovens at various places. Never checked the pans. I guess whatever was there worked…

Are we into inventing a problem here? Whilst I agree preparation is generally a good thing isn't this getting down to micromanaging rather more than needed? At least you haven't got to light a fire before you can cook, eh? It's actually not all that hard to just poke around an induction hob to find out what makes it work, or use whatever else is there, or go out to eat, or eat cold food. It's a walk to Santiago. Don't sweat the small stuff. Please!

And what happens if you use the wrong pan? Explosion?
No - an induction hob will not operate if there is not a suitable magnetic surface on top of it. The steel/iron pan forms an essential part of the circuit but a non-magnetic pan cannot do so. A safety cut-out.

Last edited:
The title is a joke, I really appreciate whenever I have the opportunity to cook while on the camino, for just myself or a group...but oh lordy, those digital stove tops hurt my brain! Can anyone recommend a good how to vid or other form of instruction? We don't have anything (I have ever seen) in the U.S. that is similar controls-wise. I have gotten them to work but it was really unclear how. (possibly praying the rosary or swearing at it in Spanish?) THEN, each time I found myself standing in front of one along the way, I was once more trying to crack the code and decipher the characters. Anyone else have this experience? (I also somehow locked myself in a bathroom to on my first camino for almost an hour, if that explains anything.)

I would have obtained the brand and model name or number and searched the internet for the user manual. If the appliance was sold in the EU, it likely had a set of instructions in English.

Absent that, the images in user instructions are largely self-explanatory. Translating the labels and markings is the biggest job. The rest works the same was a similar appliance would at home. It's similar to driving a foreign car in a foreign country.

I have done this several times for appliances in volunteer lodging when I was able to volunteer at the PIlgrim Office. This is how we sorted out how to use a new combo washing & drying machine with NO instructions - in any language.

It sounds laborious, but it does work.

Hope this helps.

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Glad to know someone else has had difficulties comprehending how to use stovetops in Spain and, in my experience, in France, too!

This is an actual question, not a sarcastic one: are spanish induction stove tops different from the others?
I think they work the same way, but maybe operating the controls is what has some people stumped. Also some cooktops are not induction, but have similar controls. The controler mechanism (turning off and on) is what always stumped me coming from the US.

I'm going to agree with you...and the icons are more confusing than helpful. Washers and dryers can fry the brain too after a long day of walking...lol

It's all a bit to laugh about, but the struggle is real!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If it is an induction stove. There are many stoves with a radiant element that have similar controls.
Right. That may have been one of the problems I had one time with a cheap frying pan I bought! Couldn't figure out how to keep the burner on!

I'm going to agree with you...and the icons are more confusing than helpful. Washers and dryers can fry the brain too after a long day of walking...lol

It's all a bit to laugh about, but the struggle is real!
Just comforting (now) to know I'm not alone on this! I hope this thread helps future peregrinos!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would have obtained the brand and model name or number and searched the internet for the user manual. If the appliance was sold in the EU, it likely had a set of instructions in English.

Absent that, the images in user instructions are largely self-explanatory. Translating the labels and markings is the biggest job. The rest works the same was a similar appliance would at home. It's similar to driving a foreign car in a foreign country.

I have done this several times for appliances in volunteer lodging when I was able to volunteer at the PIlgrim Office. This is how we sorted out how to use a new combo washing & drying machine with NO instructions - in any language.

It sounds laborious, but it does work.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I actually did google the brand name in one instance and found a vid for a different model. It was kind of helpful in the moment. But posting here has been eye opening! I had no idea that the pots and pans had to be compatible also! That to me is a huge takeaway! The magnet hack is HUGE! I also hope this post is helpful to others; a heads up or a solver for those finding themself in a similar situation. ;) Thanks for your input Tom!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sometimes at home I use my Kelly Kettle to boil water for my coffee. Just for fun! The fire base also makes a good BBQ for those with no mates.... :cool:

View attachment 162776 View attachment 162777

I thought I was the only one who does that! Got some funny looks from the neighbours 🤣.

Just comforting (now) to know I'm not alone on this! I

No you're not. On my first Camino I saw the "touch screen stoves" for the first time in my life, in the Roncesvalles albergue.

I was definitely too tired to google for instructions (also, only had a dumb phone back then, so no internet) and too shy to ask for help.

I felt like like a chimpanzee trying to operate a space ship, pressing all the buttons to cook my soup again and again but nothing happened... embarrassing!

I was also unable to start the gas stove in the Cizur Menor private albergue 😂.

Thankfully other pilgrims took pity on me and explained the magic behind those two types of stoves...

My introduction to induction stovetops was in Portugal following my first camino, the CF, four years ago. I was taking a few days rest before heading home and was excited to cook for myself again. After what seemed like ages trying to get the stove to work, I accidentally set a pan on a burner and pushed a random button, the button for that particular burner. I was beyond ecstatic!

Two years ago I remodeled my kitchen and now have a gorgeous induction stovetop. But your question isn’t about the yeas and nays of induction.

I will be 70 this year and hiked del norte this past fall with a 20 year old. For various reasons (none of which were due to my age!), we stayed most nights in hotels, often with our own kitchenette. Each time before I began cooking, my companion googled the brand of stove and instructed me in its operation. We made an awesome team, both doing what we loved most, celebrating with a “home cooked” meal.

In short, I recommend searching for the brand of stovetop and the particular model, if it’s available, and go straight to the operation section of the manual. It worked for us every time!

As for getting locked in the bathroom, I suggest always taking a phone with you to call for help should the need arise (again). If that fails, make sure to have a good book downloaded to help pass the time. Or randomly google induction stovetop manuals.

I appreciate your pain. Mine is when I'm at the faucet. Which one is hot and which one is cold? I hate just hate turning one on an indefinitely waiting for hot water, hopefully I picked the right one.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I appreciate your pain. Mine is when I'm at the faucet. Which one is hot and which one is cold? I hate just hate turning one on an indefinitely waiting for hot water, hopefully I picked the right one.
Oh that's right! Especially when the showers in some albergues are so cramped or have doors that open the opposite way, so when you do accidentally crank up the heat you are trapped! Lol, Some of the symbols are so vague on those faucets! *Note to folks who think we are referring to the C(aliente) or F(rio), we are not. If I ever write a guide book it will contain all of these everyday things we as foreign pilgrims deal with!

My introduction to induction stovetops was in Portugal following my first camino, the CF, four years ago. I was taking a few days rest before heading home and was excited to cook for myself again. After what seemed like ages trying to get the stove to work, I accidentally set a pan on a burner and pushed a random button, the button for that particular burner. I was beyond ecstatic!

Two years ago I remodeled my kitchen and now have a gorgeous induction stovetop. But your question isn’t about the yeas and nays of induction.

I will be 70 this year and hiked del norte this past fall with a 20 year old. For various reasons (none of which were due to my age!), we stayed most nights in hotels, often with our own kitchenette. Each time before I began cooking, my companion googled the brand of stove and instructed me in its operation. We made an awesome team, both doing what we loved most, celebrating with a “home cooked” meal.

In short, I recommend searching for the brand of stovetop and the particular model, if it’s available, and go straight to the operation section of the manual. It worked for us every time!

As for getting locked in the bathroom, I suggest always taking a phone with you to call for help should the need arise (again). If that fails, make sure to have a good book downloaded to help pass the time. Or randomly google induction stovetop manuals.
Oh you can bet a lesson was learned with the bathroom! Oddly enough, that was the same air bnb where the stove top was! I was so excited to be staying there instead of a hostel and being all alone until the others arrived I just wore a towel to the bathroom and brought my dopp kit! I had to pull a real Macgyver to get out of there taking apart a mirror to build improvised tools! All I could envision was being found the next day by the cleaning lady wrapped in a towel on the cold tile floor, and my friends hating me for locking them out! LOL!

Last year I had the opportunity to stay there again and this time met the owner in person. She got a real kick out of my story hearing it for the first time and assured me that lock was removed! Apparently it was a reoccurring thing! But again, even she had trouble figuring out that damn stove! I will say, I think much of my problem was using the wrong pan.

And thanks for the tip! I did google it once or twice in the moment but only found one video demo on a similar model, I was just hoping for some kind of universal method across the board! After this thread however I think i'll be a lot better prepared next time!

Thanks again Siren & Buen Camino!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got an portable induction stove top from IKEA about 6 months ago to try it out.
It is amazing!! I love it.
You have to have the right pans - most pans do work.
The controls are pretty standard except there is a lock tab to keep kids from accidentally turning it on. I agree with just finding the manual and looking it up.
It really is fast, clean, easy to maintain.
Yay, Pittsburgh!

Induction stove technology comes from Westinghouse R&D lab in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, USA. Hardly "alien technology," but then, I'm from Pittsburgh, and I'm an alien...
To be fair, some of us still consider doors that open automatically when you walk towards them science fiction technology.

(When they had automatic doors in the original Star Trek, they were actually manually operated by stage hands. There are plenty of clips in the blooper reels of actors walking into closed doors because the stage hands weren't on the ball.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yup. Same. I have an induction stove at home (LG); adult kid has one I sometimes use (Whirlpool)... use friends' induction ranges of various brands...
Arrived to fantastic little apt in Arzua with great induction range! So happy!!! 2 hours later... threw in the towel and went out for dinner with friend who was with me.
Also... those Washer/dry things that are two in one!! How on earth do you avoid a 3 hours cycle and actually get the dryer function to start???

Poor OP -- so many people are misreading and dismissing the question.
It's the *control panel* (especially on the ones that do not obviously illuminate). I think OP and I are both well aware that the pots have to have a steel base or be cast iron in order to connect with the magnetic field generated by the copper coil under the glass.
Well aware that there can be a different set of rules for different brands (mine cannot have two burners on the same transformer functioning on *rapid boost* at the same time and will automatically drop them to "high" if you try to put both on "rapid boost". Some are really persnickety about centring your pots on the "burners"... some less so...

It's just the control panel that has mystified me, and only in Spain (so far).

I'm also pretty sure that Spanish families cannot possibly be functioning on 3-hour wash cycles before the machine will unlock and spit out still very wet clothes that have not moved to the *dry* cycle yet.

If it's just the controls that are the probem, consult 'Dr Google' and open/download the manual for the specific hob . ...

If it's just the controls that are the probem, consult 'Dr Google' and open/download the manual for the specific hob . ...
Grand idea *if* you have access to wifi/cell service.
Plenty of people assert that such things are not allowed on camino. I am not among them, but I’d hazard that there are still lots of people who are vulnerable to the assertion and try to manage a camino without a phone or tablet.
Second problem for many would be the PDF *image* in a language they cannot run through a translator.
I do wish that the manuals were left available as a matter of course. I carry a device that looks like a pen but can scan line by line and uses a pre-loaded translator, no internet needed — would be grand.

Definitely alien tech- we often stay in an aparthotel in Madrid and the first time my husband had to get someone from the front desk to come up to our room and explain. The controls are not intuitive to those of us who use propane!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I apologise for this, but I thought it would be all Spanish to you rather than Greek:) I appreciate your efforts in getting some instructions on these devices for all of us to whom they are foreign.

Omg - the automatic washing machines!!!!!
It’s a long story with a conclusion that ends with me happily clothed in the streets of Lego… but I was *this close* to having to go out in a large towel find my beloved — who had travelled over night and then by train to find me in Lugo and walk the rest of the Primitivo with me — and get him safely back to our little apartment.
The towel was the *one* item I hadn’t gleefully tossed in the wash, aiming to have “options” and not to be a stinky pilgrim when meeting my beloved at the bus station.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back