• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2012

JAMC said:
I packed my bag tonight and it is now weighing 13lb 6 WOW how did it get so heavy??? I am going to have to do some serious editing.. no idea how as it's all pretty much essential, I'm only taking two outfits and one of them I'll be wearing... it's the toiletries and the poncho... do I really need rain gear in July/August???
That weight sounds pretty good to me! Have a fantastic Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
JAMC (Jesus and Marychain? )

According to google:

Weather in Northern Spain in July
July is a good time to head to the Basque Country and other parts of northern Spain. The rain has mainly subsided and generally warm days can be expected. The weather isn't as reliable as it is in the south, but the locals won't be complaining!

The average maximum temperature in Bilbao in July is 77°F/25°C and the average minimum temperature is 61°F/16°C.
Weather in North-West Spain in July

July is the driest month for Galicia and Asturias, but that still means rain can be expected on approximately one day in three. The Spanish often head to the beaches of Galicia around this time, so good weather and suntanning is possible, but they have the luxury of being able to check the weather report before organizing a last-minute trip.

The average maximum temperature in Santiago de Compostela in July is 70°F/21°C and the average minimum temperature is 61°F/16°C.

The temperatures quoted are SHADE temperatures. July is normally very hot indeed on the camino, and rain is rare. Maybe a small, roll-up poncho just in case, but you'll probably return home without using it. Or you could just buy one while on the camino if it looks like you'll get frequent rain for more than an hour or so at a time. Relax! Tranquilo! My back-pack weighed in at just under 8 kg = 17 lbs.
Buen camino!

Stephen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
JAMC...Happy Visitation to you!

By now the Class of 2012 is well formed and the Summer session rolling along the Way.

All the best to everyone and Buen Camino!!!

Arn

tyrrek said:
JAMC said:
I packed my bag tonight and it is now weighing 13lb 6 WOW how did it get so heavy??? I am going to have to do some serious editing.. no idea how as it's all pretty much essential, I'm only taking two outfits and one of them I'll be wearing... it's the toiletries and the poncho... do I really need rain gear in July/August???
That weight sounds pretty good to me! Have a fantastic Camino!

I'm only 5 foot nothing... its way too heavy!!! MUST edit... :lol: :lol: Think I'll take the advice of others on here.. the poncho will go, I'll get a mini disposable one just in case!

I'm so looking forward to setting off...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hoping to join the Class of 2012

Hi All,

Not sure how to post yet as I'm new to the forum. I'm from Chicago USA and hoping to walk the Camino in Sept / Oct 2012. I was insipred by the movie "The Way" as I never heard of the Camino de Santiago before that. I have started to acquire gear, but I am cautious because I don't want to waste time or money on gear I will not use. I plan on going light. I'm hoping that the forum will supply me with any answers I need to complete my equipment and travel arrangements. Preperation is half the fun and half the journey.
My concerns are age ( 54 ) and language. Americans only speak English. I guess we expect the world to change. I apologise for that. I'm trying to work on basic language skills, but my age gets in the way. As far as age? I'm working on that also seeing there are a lot of people much older than me walking the Camino. And I need to shed a few pounds also. You all inspire me, so please keep it up. As far as the reasons to walk the Camino? Something keeps pointing me in this direction and telling me to go that way. I think the Pot of Gold is on the Camino and I need to follow the arrows. I'm hoping to find myself among other things, I think. Anyway, if anyone is walking the Camino in Sept / Oct 2012 or anyone has any tips or suggestions on how I might accomplish my quest, they will be appreciated. I have read an assortment of books on the Camino and would be willing to exchange them with others if interested. Please let me know. Thanks and Bien Camino. That's my start to the language thing 8)
Poppz from Chi Town

Hello Poppz,

Welcome to the Forum! There is much helpful information here in the various threads to help you plan your Camino. Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice. Sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

Autumn is a wonderful time to walk the Camino. However you must be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be chilly or cold and freezing rain or even snow might occur by October. Be prepared! By mid October not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage. Most albergues which are open will either be heated or have blankets to supplement your sleeping bag. Everyone has ideas on what to take. Be sure to read the thread on Equipment to see what other pilgrims suggest.

Enjoy your planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Re: Hoping to join the Class of 2012

Poppz said:
Hi All,

Not sure how to post yet as I'm new to the forum. I'm from Chicago USA and hoping to walk the Camino in Sept / Oct 2012. I was insipred by the movie "The Way" as I never heard of the Camino de Santiago before that. I have started to acquire gear, but I am cautious because I don't want to waste time or money on gear I will not use. I plan on going light. I'm hoping that the forum will supply me with any answers I need to complete my equipment and travel arrangements. Preperation is half the fun and half the journey.
My concerns are age ( 54 ) and language. Americans only speak English. I guess we expect the world to change. I apologise for that. I'm trying to work on basic language skills, but my age gets in the way. As far as age? I'm working on that also seeing there are a lot of people much older than me walking the Camino. And I need to shed a few pounds also. You all inspire me, so please keep it up. As far as the reasons to walk the Camino? Something keeps pointing me in this direction and telling me to go that way. I think the Pot of Gold is on the Camino and I need to follow the arrows. I'm hoping to find myself among other things, I think. Anyway, if anyone is walking the Camino in Sept / Oct 2012 or anyone has any tips or suggestions on how I might accomplish my quest, they will be appreciated. I have read an assortment of books on the Camino and would be willing to exchange them with others if interested. Please let me know. Thanks and Bien Camino. That's my start to the language thing 8)
Poppz from Chi Town

Hi Poppz - my inspiration was a Rick Steves travel show on the Camino. Since then, about a year ago, I have thought of nothing else. I walk, walk, walk everyday here in southern Arizona. Just this past weekend I booked my flights and hotel for the first two nights in St. Jean.

I will be walking in September and October of this year, taking my first steps on the Camino on September 4th. Don't worry about your age or weight, the weight will drop as you prepare and the age, oh well - what better time to start than when you are this young!

Welcome to the forum and I hope to see you along the Way!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Poppz, don't worry about age you're still a youngster :D I'm doing my first camino and I'm 67. I shall be leaving Saint Jean on 8th Sep and stopping at Orisson on the first night so as to ease out on the first day over the Pyrenees. Keep reading this forum and you'll soon pick all the information that you'll need. Don't worry about reading all the books - all you need to know is contained here :!:

Buen Camino.

[ I'm hoping to find myself among other things, I think. Anyway, if anyone is walking the Camino in Sept / Oct 2012 or anyone has any tips or suggestions on how I might accomplish my quest, they will be appreciated. I have read an assortment of books on the Camino and would be willing to exchange them with others if interested. Please let me know. Thanks and Bien Camino. That's my start to the language thing 8)
Poppz from Chi Town[/quote]

I’m walking St. Jean to Santiago flying from US to Madrid arriving September 17th. When are you departing? 51 yrs of age, trying to get in shape and the Camino is all I think of!

This site is great and the pros are generous with their help.

Sedona2012 said:
I’m walking St. Jean to Santiago flying from US to Madrid arriving September 17th. When are you departing? 51 yrs of age, trying to get in shape and the Camino is all I think of!

Hi Sedona2012,
I'm assuming you are from Sedona, Arizona? I'm from Tucson and will be arriving in SJPdP on September 2nd. I will begin walking on September 4th. Hopefully we will meet each other along the path.
Arlene

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was going to wait until I had a fixed departure date to introduce myself, but I've been posting a little bit and guess it's time to do it now. I'll be starting from St Jean PdP in Sept, 2012, sometime after Labor Day here in the States. I'll be taking the Camino Frances. I'm 51 and will be walking by myself because my wonderful husband has agreed to hold down the fort (which now only consists of one teenager) while I'm away. I first heard about the Camino when a friend of mine did part of it with her little dog several years ago. I so wanted to go with her, but at that time I had two teenagers still at home and was the primary caretaker for my mom, who had dementia. She died this past February and as soon as the worst of the grief subsided I realized that I could probably do the trip now. In fact, I think it will be a wonderful way to mark the transition in my life from caregiver to...well...I don't know what yet!
I have so appreciated all the honest advice that I have found here at this site. I ordered Pacerpoles because of the suggestions here (LOVE them), struggled over the boot/shoe question (trail runners for me), and realized I do need a sleeping bag at the time of year I'm going (but not one rated for extreme temps). In short, I feel like I will be well prepared thanks to the information you have shared so freely. And in fact, even my husband has been reassured by the many posts about women traveling successfully and safely by themselves. So thanks all!

Hi,

I did my first Camino in 2008, I walked the Frances back then with my boyfriend. Now, 4 years later, same boyfriend, different route= Costal and Primitivo.
I really love the simplicity and pleasure of walking, alone and in company, the camino gives me the chance to do that for a long time! Just love how the rhythm of the camino takes you over. It feels like complete freedom, and at the same time it makes me very aware of my limits.. It gives me a very peaceful state of mind.

Irun, August 1st, I`m counting down the days :D

Buen camino
(coming from belgium)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi,

I'm taking the same route as you. I am not sure where I am flying into from the U.S. but I was thinking Paris? I am shooting for an early Sept arrival as the weather and crowds should be less and better? I have all the time to make it so I am not worried about how long it will take me. Also I don't know if I will continue on after Santiago to the ocean? I too have been walking my ^&% off in preperation. I think about the Camino daily and cannot wait to get started. Maybe our paths will cross, if not enjoy the Camino.

Poppz

amourier said:
Sedona2012 said:

Hi Sedona2012,
I'm assuming you are from Sedona, Arizona? I'm from Tucson and will be arriving in SJPdP on September 2nd. I will begin walking on September 4th. Hopefully we will meet each other along the path.
Arlene

Black Dog,
I'm hoping to be out there around the same time. I hope to see you there and meet you. The Orisson ? Is that a midway point for the tired ( Day 1)? Have not heard about it before? My age factor is only a concern becuase I never done anything like this before and I will complete it, therefore I am concerned about physical problems getting in the way. I am training daily though, but age has a way of bring on pain.

BlackDog said:
Hi Poppz, don't worry about age you're still a youngster :D I'm doing my first camino and I'm 67. I shall be leaving Saint Jean on 8th Sep and stopping at Orisson on the first night so as to ease out on the first day over the Pyrenees. Keep reading this forum and you'll soon pick all the information that you'll need. Don't worry about reading all the books - all you need to know is contained here :!:

Buen Camino.

Sedona,

You have plenty of great places to practice hiking in Sedona. What a great place. Hopefully we will meet on the Camino, if not enjoy. Keep at it and the Camino will be a breeze. I'm looking forward to it also.
Poppz

amourier said:
Sedona2012 said:

Hi Sedona2012,
Arlene

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, this has been a week. I booked my flights, all are in place. I only had one snaffu - Originally I booked from Newark, NJ to Dublin Sept 2 - Dublin to Biarritz via Ryanair same day - roundtrip back from London Heathrow on Nov. 2. When I went to make reservations from Santiago back to London Stanstead, I found there weren't any available Ryanair flights in November. After fretting for 2 days, I decided to change my return from London Heathrow to Madrid. I was able to reserve an Iberia flight from Santiiago to Madrid and then my catch my direct flight back to Newark, NJ.

The reason I am flying from and to NJ is that I will visit with my son, his wife and my grandchildren, thereby hopefully recovering from any jet lag. Tucson to Europe takes 24 hours plus because of all the connections. NJ to Europe is direct and only 6 or 8 hours.

I've made reservations with a taxi service from Biarritz to SJPdP - thanks JillHives for the info - and I've got reservations in a hotel in SJPdP for Sept 2 and 3 (I figure I will need a day to get over the jet lag and to calm down before I walk).

So I'm on my way!! I'm excited, couldn't be happier, but this is a bit scary. 490 miles solo, well I'm hoping to meet other pilgrims along the way. You'll know me the moment you speak to me - I'm the one with the heavy New York accent!

Ultreya!

Please - forget about age. It just needs a bit of determination and practice. Age is just a number on a piece of paper. I did my first camino last year, from Porto to SdC. My piece of paper said 72. It was an amazing experience, sadly not repeated this year. But I have plans maybe for 2014 ....
Buen camino!
Stephen

Arlene,

Glad you got everything sorted with your arrivals and departures. I'm going solo too but I'm not worrying about walking alone (or trying not to) because I am sure it won't be long until friendly conversation is made along the way. Plus, you might feel a great sense of independence that come with it.

A few years ago I was meeting a friend in Prague and I arrived 2 days before him. I had never travelled anywhere alone where I was meeting someone right after I stepped off a plane. I didn't know the language, only had a map, was staying in a rented apartment I needed to find rather than a hotel. I swear it was the best two days I had. Walking around alone, finding everything by my self despite not having the language. Going to the market and dinner alone with a book and just watching everything around me. Exhilarating. That's not to say I am not nervous about my Camino trip. I'd say I am 90% excited and 10% scared out of my mind. I'm hoping that 10 percent washes away the moment I start walking.

Buen Camino!
Jane

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well it looks like your good to go....... If possible when everything is said and done, please let everyone know your travel info please. I have not went that far yet, but it's coming close. Also the hotel info in SJPD and the Taxi? Any idea of cost and distance? You seem like you have this pretty planned out. A great start to the trip is seeing the family before heading off also. Anyway, you seem to have everything down so far, I'm sure you have a little tweaking to do and your set to start packing your bag ( Singular ). And a light one I hope. Great job, you must be really excited. I know I am.

Poppz

amourier said:
Wow, this has been a week. I booked my flights, all are in place. I only had one snaffu - Originally I booked from Newark, NJ to Dublin Sept 2 - Dublin to Biarritz via Ryanair same day - roundtrip back from London Heathrow on Nov. 2. When I went to make reservations from Santiago back to London Stanstead, I found there weren't any available Ryanair flights in November. After fretting for 2 days, I decided to change my return from London Heathrow to Madrid. I was able to reserve an Iberia flight from Madrid direct to Newark, NJ.

The reason I am flying from and to NJ is that I will visit with my son, his wife and my grandchildren, thereby hopefully recovering from any jet lag. Tucson to Europe takes 24 hours plus because of all the connections. NJ to Europe is direct and only 6 or 8 hours.

I've made reservations with a taxi service from Biarritz to SJPdP - thanks JillHives for the info - and I've got reservations in a hotel in SJPdP for Sept 2 and 3 (I figure I will need a day to get over the jet lag and to calm down before I walk).

So I'm on my way!! I'm excited, couldn't be happier, but this is a bit scary. 490 miles solo, well I'm hoping to meet other pilgrims along the way. You'll know me the moment you speak to me - I'm the one with the heavy New York accent!

Ultreya!

Poppz said:
Well it looks like your good to go....... If possible when everything is said and done, please let everyone know your travel info please. I have not went that far yet, but it's coming close. Also the hotel info in SJPD and the Taxi? Any idea of cost and distance? You seem like you have this pretty planned out. A great start to the trip is seeing the family before heading off also. Anyway, you seem to have everything down so far, I'm sure you have a little tweaking to do and your set to start packing your bag ( Singular ). And a light one I hope. Great job, you must be really excited. I know I am.

Poppz

Poppz - The reason it sounds like I am so organized and well planned is due to the help from fellow Forum members, especially JillHives. I cannot take credit for all the planning.

I booked a multi-destination ticket on United Airlines because this was the least expensive way to get to the Camino and back. So I fly from NJ to Dublin, Ireland and return from Madrid two months later.

Then I booked a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Biarritz, France which cost 137.74 € or about $187.
I booked with Iberia from Santiago to Madrid - cost was 120.74€ or about $150.

The taxi from Biarritz to St Jean is with Express Bourricot Website: http://www.expressbourricot.com
The cost is 66€ but it is a van and she picks up others, at this point there are two others I will be sharing the ride with so my cost is 22€ or $27.

The hotel I booked is the Itzalpea, it includes breakfast. It was the only hotel in St Jean that had availability for September 2 and 3. The cost of that for the two nights came to 108.41€ or $145

I'm still trying to reserve space in the alberque in Orrisson. I sent an email a few days ago and am still waiting for a reply. Does anyone have any idea of how to contact this alberque?

One word of advice, It looks like September is a popular month for the Camino because of the few seats left on the planes and the few rooms left in St Jean - BOOK AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

I hope this info helps,
Arlene

I'm still trying to reserve space in the alberque in Orrisson. I sent an email a few days ago and am still waiting for a reply. Does anyone have any idea of how to contact this alberque?

Refuge Orisson <refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr> is the email that I used and have had a couple of replies from.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
BlackDog said:
Refuge Orisson <refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr> is the email that I used and have had a couple of replies from.

Thanks David,
I just now received an email from Jean-Jacques. He will send me a demand payment to paypal for payment and confirmation of my stay. Am now waiting for the paypal notification.

Obviously you reserved, how long did it take to get the demand payment notice?

Arlene

Thanks much. This looks like a great place to make the 1st stop so I can work my way into the Camino without over doing it. Thanks much

Poppz

quote="BlackDog"]
Poppz said:
The Orisson ? Is that a midway point for the tired ( Day 1)? Have not heard about it before?
Look at http://www.refuge-orisson.com/auberge_compostelle_pays_basque_contact.php
Yes it's the place about 8km (5miles) to break up the walk on the Napoleon Route to Roncevalles so that you take two days to get to Roncevalles and don't need to flog yourself on the first day.[/quote]

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Poppz
Welcome!
I'm planning my camino Sept -October..leaving SJPP on the 20th and hope to take the month of October to reach SdC. I have found this forum invaluable....not just for logistics but for support and encouragement.
A couple of things I trying to keep foremost in my mind: 1. Go slow...in my trainining I have slowed my pace...I am a fairly fast walker here at home when I do my daily 4 miles but these distances and the weight are a whole new ball park. Slow and steady... I'm thinking this is a Tortoise and Hare story; My legs are not young...58 yrs .... so I do gentle stretching now... something I never did before. I am going to Orrisson the first night to begin easing into the camino.
2. I am trying to pack light.... this is a work in progress. I change my mind every other day but I hope when the time comes I have only the essentials.

I have read a few of books... Kevin Codd's was my favorite thus far and I just got Linda Davidson's for a more cultural background. (I will not be bringing this tome with me!) I also watched all 13 parts of Radio Buen Camino which was very good. That said, I am trying not to have expectations... go with the flow so to speak and keep an open mind about the journey with a sense of humility and gratitude for each step I am able to make.

I hope our paths cross at some point.

Debbie in NH

PS Got to get my forum patch!!!!

I am trying to pack light
My axiom: If you MIGHT use it, leave it at home. If you WILL use it, take it.

Except poncho and first aid items...

Dear Deb in NH,

Thanks for the info and encouragement.
I have been training so to speak for about 2 months now. I walk a minimum of 6 miles a day, every day, rain or shine. I started because the Dr said my BP is High and my Cholestrol is High and everything is High. So I said I really don't want another pill, any other suggestions? He said yes.... Eat better, Exercise, & Lose weight. So being a guy and all and set in my ways, I decieded to do something unthinkable........ I actually listened to the Dr. I feel better, lost almost 30 lbs, have a lot of enthusiasm and energy and I'm hoping all my bad health issues are going south.
As far as the Camino. I am by all means NOT in a hurry. If I am, I will not go. I plan on making the whole Camino on foot. But if I can't, I will bike it, or buy a donkey, but I will make it! I want to enjoy this experiance and get as much out of it as humanly possible. I am 54 so I am beginning to understand that there are limitations to everything, but they are unlimited if you plan. Therefore I have always lived by the saying. " It's not the destination, It's the Journey" I started this journey about 6 month's ago, dreaming and planning have been my start. Anyway, I hope to meet many of you on the Camino as you all seem to be people I would like to share this ride with.

Bein Camino

Poppz

dmartin53 said:
Hi, Poppz
Welcome!
I'm planning my camino Sept -October..leaving SJPP on the 20th and hope to take the month of October to reach SdC. I have found this forum invaluable....not just for logistics but for support and encouragement.
A couple of things I trying to keep foremost in my mind: 1. Go slow...in my trainining I have slowed my pace...I am a fairly fast walker here at home when I do my daily 4 miles but these distances and the weight are a whole new ball park. Slow and steady... I'm thinking this is a Tortoise and Hare story; My legs are not young...58 yrs .... so I do gentle stretching now... something I never did before. I am going to Orrisson the first night to begin easing into the camino.
2. I am trying to pack light.... this is a work in progress. I change my mind every other day but I hope when the time comes I have only the essentials.

I have read a few of books... Kevin Codd's was my favorite thus far and I just got Linda Davidson's for a more cultural background. (I will not be bringing this tome with me!) I also watched all 13 parts of Radio Buen Camino which was very good. That said, I am trying not to have expectations... go with the flow so to speak and keep an open mind about the journey with a sense of humility and gratitude for each step I am able to make.

I hope our paths cross at some point.

Debbie in NH

PS Got to get my forum patch!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
amourier said:
One word of advice, It looks like September is a popular month for the Camino because of the few seats left on the planes and the few rooms left in St Jean - BOOK AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

I hope this info helps,
Arlene

Thank you Arlene! Reading your post gave me just the push I needed to book my flights. I'd been hesitating--it's a big deal for me too! I'll fly into Barcelona on Sept 5 and probably take the train to Pamplona and then the following day take Express Burricot to SJPdP. I'm opting for the train because I can't seem to make the bus websites work at all. Does anyone know the secret to them?

Thanks again,

Meg

Piccata said:
quote]

Thank you Arlene! Reading your post gave me just the push I needed to book my flights. I'd been hesitating--it's a big deal for me too! I'll fly into Barcelona on Sept 5 and probably take the train to Pamplona and then the following day take Express Burricot to SJPdP. I'm opting for the train because I can't seem to make the bus websites work at all. Does anyone know the secret to them?
Thanks again,

Meg

Meg hopefully we'll meet along the Way. I will be walking alone also. Glad I was able to provide the push you needed.

Arlene

I just finished watching clips from "Radio Buen Camino" that I found on the forum. Great job! It's makes me want to pack and head out right now. In case you have not seen them yet, follow the forum threads there. There are 4 parts and I only fininshed just 1 part so far. It keeps the dream alive. Thanks so much for the clips, it brings the dream closer. Till then
Bein Camino
Poppz

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Poppz said:
I just finished watching clips from "Radio Buen Camino" that I found on the forum. Great job! It's makes me want to pack and head out right now. In case you have not seen them yet, follow the forum threads there. There are 4 parts and I only fininshed just 1 part so far. It keeps the dream alive. Thanks so much for the clips, it brings the dream closer. Till then
Bein Camino
Poppz

There are more than just 4 parts and agreed, it's wonderful.
http://vimeo.com/user9824047/videos

The hotel I booked is the Itzalpea, it includes breakfast. It was the only hotel in St Jean that had availability for September 2 and 3. The cost of that for the two nights came to 108.41€ or $145/quote]

Hi, Arlene, I have just been reading the previous posts and am wondering if I will need to book a hotel in SJPDP
can one not stay in an alburge the night before starting camino. If not I had better get my skates on and book a room somewhere

The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP will help you find a bed, so reservations are more for your peace of mind. September is not likely to be jammed with starting pilgrims, so there should be space in the albergue. You can stay there the first night. Esprit du Chemin, a private albergue across the street from the Pilgrim Office, takes reservations if it is not full, and saves a few beds for those who drop in.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
dellaware said:
Hi, Arlene, I have just been reading the previous posts and am wondering if I will need to book a hotel in SJPDP can one not stay in an alburge the night before starting camino. If not I had better get my skates on and book a room somewhere

Hi dellaware, I booked a hotel because I figured since I did not want to get right on the Camino the day after I arrive (I will leave the states on September 1 and will not arrive in St. Jean until early evening on the 2nd) that it would be better for me to reserve a hotel room for two nights. I wasn't and still am not sure if one can stay in an albergue for more than one night unless injured. So I figured I would begin my Camino at my own pace. I want to see the sights that St. Jean Pied de Port has to offer - I'll do that on Sept 3 and then start my Camino on the 4th. I already have a reservation in the albergue in Orisson for Sept 4.

Buen Camino, maybe we will meet along the Way! :arrow:
Arlene

Thanks Folks for replies. I have Just booked Accommodation for SJPDP Or at least emailed them anyway :) Another thing to knock off the list...

Hi all, My name is Sebastian I plan to fly out to Biarritz on the 13th June & get to SJPDP by the evening & start my walk the next day (weather permitting) over the pyrenees. I hope to make new friends over the walk & enjoy the sites. I have set no time limit except I'd like to be back home by September for my birthday. I hope to walk to Fisterra then to Muxia back to Santiago before flying back to England. Hope everyone on the walk will be safe & I hope to bump into you. :lol:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sebastian4camino said:
Hi all, My name is Sebastian I plan to fly out to Biarritz on the 13th June & get to SJPDP by the evening & start my walk the next day (weather permitting) over the pyrenees. I hope to make new friends over the walk & enjoy the sites. I have set no time limit except I'd like to be back home by September for my birthday. I hope to walk to Fisterra then to Muxia back to Santiago before flying back to England. Hope everyone on the walk will be safe & I hope to bump into you. :lol:
Buen Camino Sebastian! You'll be back well before September assuming you walk at a fairly average pace/distance, and you'll certainly make a lot of new friends.

As you have no time pressures you could consider seeing other parts of Spain as a way of winding down before going home. Seville and Granada are nice.

Enjoy!

Hello fellow pilgrims!

My name is Elianne and I live in Seattle, Washington in the US. I will be starting from St. Jean PDP on September 3rd, taking it slowly and staying overnight at Orisson (hopefully) before my ascent over the mountain. I am so excited to begin my journey! I just wanted to take a moment to say hello and to thank everyone for all your posts and sharing so much information. What a wonderful forum! I'm on the calendar as leaving on the 4th of September but I think it will be more like the 3rd. . . I've been refining my plans a bit now that departure is getting closer. I hope to meet many of you along the way :D

E,

It looks like you will be in good company on the Camino. From what I've read on the Forum there are plaenty of people leaving SJPD right around the same time as you. I too plan on going around that time. I don't have anything set in stone yet, but when the time is right I'm gone. Have a great trip, Enjoy.

Poppz

ote="bewilso3"]Hello fellow pilgrims!

My name is Elianne and I live in Seattle, Washington in the US. I will be starting from St. Jean PDP on September 3rd, taking it slowly and staying overnight at Orisson (hopefully) before my ascent over the mountain. I am so excited to begin my journey! I just wanted to take a moment to say hello and to thank everyone for all your posts and sharing so much information. What a wonderful forum! I'm on the calendar as leaving on the 4th of September but I think it will be more like the 3rd. . . I've been refining my plans a bit now that departure is getting closer. I hope to meet many of you along the way :D[/quote]

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
bewilso3 said:
Hello fellow pilgrims!

My name is Elianne and I live in Seattle, Washington in the US. I will be starting from St. Jean PDP on September 3rd, taking it slowly and staying overnight at Orisson (hopefully) before my ascent over the mountain. I am so excited to begin my journey! I just wanted to take a moment to say hello and to thank everyone for all your posts and sharing so much information. What a wonderful forum! I'm on the calendar as leaving on the 4th of September but I think it will be more like the 3rd. . . I've been refining my plans a bit now that departure is getting closer. I hope to meet many of you along the way :D

Hi Elianne, I'm Arlene from Arizona and I will be leaving St. Jean on the morning of Sept 4th. I already have my reservation for the hostel in Orisson. I'd suggest you contact them to insure yourself a place to sleep that night. http://www.refuge-orisson.com/ or email at refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr if you haven't already done so.
Hope to see you along the trail.
Arlene

Hi,
Just wanted to introduce myself to the Class of 2012. I will be doing my first Camino in mid-August. I only have enough enough time this year to walk from Leon to Santiago but am already thinking I'd like to walk to whole route in another year. Still, I guess all I can do is take one step at a time...
Buen Camino everyone.

June 17th for the first step from SJPP! One week to go, practicing packing and making sure nothing is forgotten. I'd like to thank all those who have posted on the site and I hope to meet some of you - look for the blue osprey pack carried by the white guy from Singapore who clearly has jet lag;)
Hugs to all. Mark

MarkH said:
June 17th for the first step from SJPP! One week to go

Happy feet...happy trails. Buen Camino! :D Hugggs to you too!

Wishing you a buen camino MG! When you get back to NYC maybe we could meet up for coffee! I am planning my trip (the Camino Ingles) for next year, June 2013. My husband and I will be going and I can't wait! Wishing you well! Take tons of picstures and SHARE!
ENJOY!

Buen Camino Sebastian! You'll be back well before September assuming you walk at a fairly average pace/distance, and you'll certainly make a lot of new friends.

As you have no time pressures you could consider seeing other parts of Spain as a way of winding down before going home. Seville and Granada are nice.

Enjoy![/quote]

I may walk to Madrid to sight see but to walk all the way to Seville or Granada is a little too far to walk south for me! Buen Camino!

Hi Sebastian. I was thinking more of Ryanair to Malaga and a bus from there, but once you've got your walking shoes on... :D

Buen Camino!

Hi, I'm Mia, from Colorado. My husband, 11 year old son & I are starting our first camino in St Jean on about 18thish of August. Somehow the flights ended up putting us in Reykjavik for a day en route... hmm. Anyway we expect to leave from St Jean around the 18th, and arrive in Santiago around Sept 30. Ish. Dates are very ish-ish at this point, and we aren't expecting to make particularly good time compared to persons unencumbered by a child. (although he's actually in better shape than either of his parents- thank God for all that Boy Scout trekking!) We're following the Brierley guidebook which reckons 33 days walking, 2 of rest, but factoring in some extra days.
We're in the process of breaking in boots and deciding which shirts we like enough to wear every other day for a month and a half. And printing out "I am allergic to gluten, please don't kill me" in Icelandic, French and Spanish on lots of little cards. Loads of fun, hope to meet some of you along the way, can't wait to start! :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
amourier said:
bewilso3 said:
Hello fellow pilgrims!

Hi Elianne, I'm Arlene from Arizona and I will be leaving St. Jean on the morning of Sept 4th. I already have my reservation for the hostel in Orisson. I'd suggest you contact them to insure yourself a place to sleep that night. http://www.refuge-orisson.com/ or email at refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr if you haven't already done so.

Arlene

Hi Arlene!

I heard back from Orisson and have my bed booked for the 4th! hurray! I'm surprised by how quickly everything is filling up. It is exciting to know that so many of us are going on this journey. I hope I meet you along the way!

bewilso3 said:
amourier said:
bewilso3 said:
Hello fellow pilgrims!

Arlene

Hi Arlene!

I heard back from Orisson and have my bed booked for the 4th! hurray! I'm surprised by how quickly everything is filling up. It is exciting to know that so many of us are going on this journey. I hope I meet you along the way!

Well Elianne it looks like we will meet in Orisson on the 4th. See you there!
Arlene

Hi everyone..

I am Vidhi from India and I start to walk the Camino on 2nd or 3rd July. I will be walking with my husband. We have just about two weeks before we leave home and we getting really excited.

Is anyone also starting around the same time??

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello! I'm Danielle, an American who has lived in Spain for nearly 2 years. On June 21, 2011 a friend told me he was going to walk El Camino the following July. I had never heard of it, but immediately looked it up on Wiki, discovered the film (which had been released in Spain the previous winter) I downloaded the film, watched it, decided I wanted to walk before I moved away from Spain...then watched the film again! Unfortunately, my time in Spain is coming to an end, but I'm excited to say that on June 23, I'll be traveling to St. Jean Pied de Port and setting off the next morning. I hope to finish on the 28th, my 33rd birthday. However, I have 7 weeks before my flight to the US so I have plenty of time to get there when I get there.

Thanks to EVERYONE who posts on this site. Though at times overwhelming to sort through the information, it has been invaluable to someone like me who has never done anything quite like this (which is WHY I want to do it!). I'll see some of you out there!
Buen camino!

Danielle

Hi everyone!
After several months of reading lots of posts on this fabulous forum, I think I'm almost ready to start training for my walk from SJPdP to Santiago starting Sept. 26 arriving in Santiago by Nov. 2. I will be walking on my own and I am really looking forward to walking at my own speed and if I need to extend my walk by a week, I would do that. Now I don't have that luxury anymore as my new grandbaby is expected early Nov. (and I will have to go to New York as soon as I get home, ouch!) I am contemplating moving my trip forward by one week but wonder if that will give me enough time? What to do....what to do....

Second question I have is: My husband is thinking of joining me for the last 2 weeks before arriving in Santiago. I am wondering how this will work. I will have walked by myself for days and then I have to "be" with someone all day every day. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how did it work out?

Thanks for your ideas/suggestions which are very much appreciated.

Buen Camino!
Ellen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
camelle said:
My husband is thinking of joining me for the last 2 weeks before arriving in Santiago. I am wondering how this will work. I will have walked by myself for days and then I have to "be" with someone all day every day. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how did it work out?
Hi Ellen!

You don't have to be with hubby all day every day. Just do your own thing and catch up at lunchtime or dinner. As long as your both expecting the same thing I can't see a problem. Just take a mobile phone so you know where each other are. He'll find someone quite quickly to talk about golf or whatever his thing is.

In terms of actually meeting up with him in the first place, I'd suggest being 'selfish' and doing it on your terms. You'll have formed a group by then, so won't want to lose them if you have to wait somewhere for a day or so for hubby to turn up. If he can join your group you'll have shared experiences and memories to enjoy. If he arrives somewhere ahead of you he can walk backwards to join you.

A new grandbaby is a nice thought to take with you. Buen Camino!

OK. I’ve been there! I’ve done that! Started at Saint Jean Pied De Port on April 30 and arrived to Santiago de Campostela on May 29. Then I continued to Muxia and Finisterra. Wonderful! Now I need some short period to resume normal flow of civilized life.

God bless you all and buen camino!

Oleg

Hola !
A friend and I, both in our 50's, will be arriving from Sask. Canada on Aug.16th...probably into Barcelona. So far, we have flights booked to London, looking for cheapest flights to Spain or France the same day...we arrive early in the morning to Gatwick, so will probably be Easyjet out of there. I have been to Spain before, loved it, but my traveling companion never has. We would like to do some sight seeing before and after, so I am looking at flying into a different city than we will fly out of.

We will be starting to walk from SJPdP on Aug. 20th, as I have booked us into Orisson for us that night. When we booked our flights, we really started to get excited, as now it is for real :) We were anxious to book, but were waiting for prices to drop a bit...so now when people ask when we are going, we can actually tell them !

We are from a small town in the middle of the flat prairies, so having trouble finding hills to hike on :) I have been walking 15-30k several times a week, with my pack and weight, mostly on gravel and dirt roads, but we have had a lot of rain this spring, so have had to walk on some pavement. I have walked through the fields which have more hills than the roads, but tough when muddy, because our soil is clay. I am heading out to Victoria, BC for 10 days, so will hike out there as well, as there are several great places out there to hike. I am sure that I will also get to try out my rain wear, as Victoria gets a lot of rain !

I do have a question....if i were to post our non Camino clothes to ourselves, can you post a suitcase, or a backpack, or only a box ?

I have learned a ton of very useful information on here, and will continue to do so until we leave, I am sure. Thank you to everyone that posts, and help us newbies out ! LOL, love the sense of humor from some of you as well....can only imagine you in person :)

Marilyn

Hi,

I'll be starting out on my first pilgrimage from SJPP on 4 July 2012. I fly in the day before to Biarritz and will make my way to SJPP that afternoon.

I have been reading a lot on this forum and a few other websites, etc and although I have taken on board quite a lot of the advice from these sources, I still have some outstanding questions. My questions are not necessarily novel but they are specific to my circumstances.

You can find my first post here: el-camino-frances/topic14293.html.

If you can, I'd appreciate some good feedback, please. Preferably before I head out in two and half weeks' time.

Thanks.

Hi Tyrrek:
Thanks for your words of wisdom! I may have to re-think this whole idea of meeting my husband. I'll let it slide until closer to departure time. Yes, a wonderful dilemma to have, a new gandbaby on the way!

Buen Camino!

camelle said:
Hi Tyrrek:
Thanks for your words of wisdom! I may have to re-think this whole idea of meeting my husband. I'll let it slide until closer to departure time. Yes, a wonderful dilemma to have, a new gandbaby on the way!

Buen Camino!

I know a fellow Forum pilgrim who walked the Camino Frances last year. Her husband joined her at Sarria, I believe, after being on her own from SJPP. The downside, she told me, was that he was fresh off the plane, chatty...excited to begin his journey with her and she was already in a thoughtful place, tired from walking 20 miles each day to be able for them to meet up. She said that even though she loves him dearly and was very glad to see him, it was a bit of a distraction. Is she sorry they met and walked together? No, but I think next time they both know what is needed from each other. Perhaps if you start out the conversation that way...being very upfront, it can be a pleasant coming together. I would suggest you have a very open and honest discussion of possibilities and see if you two, also, can make it work to both your satisfactions. I hope you can! What a great thing to share... :)
Buen Camino,
"Bozzie"
(Dee Anne)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello! Francesca here, looking forward to starting off from SJDPP mid September and walking on (and on), through October to Santiago. Mad about trees (different thread) but looking for info on lightweight women's rucksacks, weather on Camino Frances during this time period, other Sept/Oct 2012 Camino Souls, practical tips and idealistic thoughts. Many Blessings!

We plan to walk the Camino Frances beginning later Sept. 2012.

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this site. Such great information. And it is fun to see all the others from around the world who have been inspired to make this pilgrimage. It's amazing how incredibly strong the impulse to do this is. A life adventure for certain.
Ross & Kathleen
adventureking&queen

Welcome Ross and Kathleen! September is a good time. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
tyrrek said:
Welcome Ross and Kathleen! September is a good time. Buen Camino!
Thank you for the welcome, Tyrrek! I'd post a photo of us (love the one of you!) if I could figure out how to do that.

ok I start 29th July with a weeks free holiday (couchsurfers) at an rainbow/eco farm just outside Rome-not sure what happens next only that it has got me excited,one of the few benefits of being retired is having the time and as long as that weekly pension keeps coming in (god bless the british welfare system) I can take as long as I want-so up Italy on the via Francigena turn left through Monaco and joining the Camino at Arles in France heading for SJPP and Santiago,don't yet know how far that is or where I will sleep but I will be doing it with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.
Ian

Hi Everyone
I am so excited that I can't keep quiet anymore! We start from Seattle next Wednesday 6/27 to Madrid, then the adventure begins to Pamplona, Roncevalles, then on to SJPP. Our flight home is on 8/8 so we have built in some days to go slow. I have been looking at the forum for over a year and honestly until 2 weeks ago thought we were waiting until next summer. I know that summers are really busy, but I work as a secretary for a school district and get the summers off.

My husband loves vacations and we were going to do a road trip to Yellowstone, Glacier and Banff, and even though we really would love to see the glory of those national parks we weren't getting too excited. Then I mentioned the camino. Boy, it just ran from there! Another reason my hubby is turning 60 this summer and is not one for big wingdings and so he thinks that by us being away for the summer it gets him out of a party celebrating his youth :lol:

I do know that we are not in shape for this, but will take it slow. Can't wait to see what the weeks ahead will bring with growth, awareness, and closeness with my husband, God and my body!

Buen Camino All!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Cedarhollow03

The beauty of the Camino Frances is that you can start slowly, walking shorter distances until stamina builds as it surely will if you keep going. Don't over walk in the early stages, rest frequently and stop altogether for a while if problems develop. This is a great adventure on which you two are embarking and you never know...by the time you reach Santiago your husband may feel so young he'll start the party himself.

Buen camino and happy birthday when it comes!

John

JohnnieWalker said:
...by the time you reach Santiago your husband may feel so young he'll start the party himself.
Hi Cedarhollow03!

As a fellow Scot I can tell when JohnnieWalker is looking for an invite to a party. :D You and your husband will have a...I was going to say you'll 'have a ball', but I won't because John will get his kilt out.

You'll have an amazing time. Buen Camino!

Hola Camelle and cedarhollow03,
Walking with a companion, especially a husband is very rewarding, for part of the route or the whole of it. Walking with anyone, even probably a group you meet up with on the way needs some thought too. Can I suggest you read the threadhttp://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/frequently-asked-questions/topic11101.html.
We saw several couples on the Camino this year, especially once we joined the Francés. Some were keeping very close together and helping one another along, others were walking at their own speed and pausing for 'catch up' time.... etc. We adopted our usual custom, but that is in the link thread....
Buen Camino

Thanks John & Tyrrek,
Slow going it will be for the first week so that I can get my legs under me! Now if either of you are around on July 14th, which will be 2 weeks into our walk, I will be celebrating my husband's birthday. He knows it is inevitable but rather it be low key. Would love to see the kilt :D

Tia Valerie,
I have seen your thread before and thought that it was very informative. Doug is much like your Tio Tel. He is the sprinter in the family and I am the plodder. When we run together he runs up hills and walks down. We have been married for 17 years and have a wonderful rhythm. If he needs to sprint up that hill he will wait for me to catch up and then we continue on together. I do walk faster than him on the straightaways so it is a balance that we have made that works famously. I am so blessed to have a man that I can travel with, without too many issues. We have traveled all over and when I say that I need to eat he understands that it means eat soon or else :p

Would love more advice on any aspect of the trip. Still so excited! 4 more day till Madrid!!
Buen Camino, Jamie & Doug

cedarhollow03 said:
Thanks John & Tyrrek,
Slow going it will be for the first week so that I can get my legs under me! Now if either of you are around on July 14th, which will be 2 weeks into our walk, I will be celebrating my husband's birthday. He knows it is inevitable but rather it be low key. Would love to see the kilt :D
My kilt is redundant at the moment because I lost too much weight on the Camino. It would just fall down and you might not like that, especially given our traditional lack of undergarments. I must take it to a tailor. :D

You're preparing for a wonderful time. Buen Camino!

cedarhollow03 said:
Would love more advice on any aspect of the trip. Still so excited! 4 more day till Madrid!!
Buen Camino, Jamie & Doug
As so many threads say - keep your packing as light as possible, to which I would add 'share one anothers burden'
Terry (Tio Tel) carried my sleeping bag so my pack was't too heavy for me, but I carried the food for snacks (bread, cheese, salami etc) as he doesn't really like a bag in his hand. The emergency tin of sardines lived in his rucksack with a small tin of peaches - I had the Polos (peppermint sweets), several rolls of them, and our small set of Bible readings which were important for us.
Hope you have as much enjoyment from your Camino as we did on the Primitivo. Hard work, but so worthwhile doing it together 'our way'
Buen Camino and safe travel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Tia Valeria: Thanks for the link. It worked out nicely between you and your husband. We wouldn't have much of an issue walking together, but more where we would sleep. I like the idea of the albergues, but my husband ... not so much. Anyway, we have decided that this first camino will be my experience and who knows what will happen next time??

Ellen

I introduced myself here ages ago and have been 'lurking' since then, picking up all sorts of useful information from here as well as from other reading, and really enjoying other people's stories. I think we are more or less ready. My partner and I are both teachers from Australia beginning long service leave in two weeks' time (hooray!). We plan to start walking from St Jean on 1st September, staying in Orisson that night, and have allowed six weeks plus a bit of flexibility to walk to Santiago, with a detour (by bus) to Bilbao on the way. It sounds like there will be a few forum members starting around the same time as us. I have both a forum patch on my (purple) backpack and a forum Camino buff - say hello if you see me! It feels like the preparation has been long, and I can hardly wait to start! :D

The journey of 500 miles starts with a pedicure. Tonight I fly to Paris and then on to St. Jean Pied du Port and the start of the camino frances to Santiago de Compostela. The waymarkers are blue with golden arrows. If I lose them, I will take off my shoes and follow my feet. http://www.flickr.com/photos/11391594@N07/7443712526/ (Link is to a picture of blue toenails with gold arrows on the big toes.)

A fun song about the Camino can be found [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2835AXs9w[/youtube] by Heather Dale (and if you really like it you can purchase it here: http://heatherdale.com/store/index.php? ... ory_id=190 )

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi. .... I am anxiously waiting for the next two months to pass so I can head off to
SJPP and begin my camino. Wish I were leaving tomorrow but I think the fall weather
Will suite me just right. This will be my first camino.

Buen camino. Linda from seattle, WA

lporantes46 said:
Hi. .... I am anxiously waiting for the next two months to pass so I can head off to
SJPP and begin my camino. Wish I were leaving tomorrow but I think the fall weather
Will suite me just right. This will be my first camino.

Buen camino. Linda from seattle, WA

Hi Linda,

I'll be walking in September also. I am leaving SJPdP on Sept. 4th - Hope to see you along the way.

Arlene from Tucson, AZ

Hello Linda, Jamie and Doug! I am from the Seattle area too and am planning my Camino for Sept. 2013. I will look forward to following your Camino this fall and dreaming about mine next year!

Buen Camino

Kathryn

€60,-
Hey Ya'll

I'll be starting from St Jean on Sept 1, myself. I booked my return flight from Madrid on Oct 10. This is to allow me to take my time and not be rushed. I will fill the rest of the time into extending on to Finisterre and beyond to fill the time up. Hope to meet some of you folks on the way!!

Buen Camino

Larry H. Lyda
"Snake"
from Spring City, Tennessee, USA

:D

Hi

I'm Christophe from Belgium, 23 years old and just finished my studying to become a teacher in sports and religion. I will start on the first of September in Belgium (near by Ghent) and hope to arrive 3 months and +/- 2300 km later in Compostela. It is my first Camino and by far the biggest adventure I'll have done when hopefully finishing it, but I'm already planning this trip for several years so the motivation and ambition to start and finish is huge.

Buen Camino!

Welcome Christophe! Good luck with all your preparation and Buen Camino!

€149,-
Welcome Christophe,

This forum provides a wealth of information. Hope you will find it useful. Probably you already know of the existence of the flemish confraternity of St-James. They also give excellent advice. And they have their albergue in Los Arcos, run by the flemish volunteers.
Your study in religion and sports certainly combines the best of both in relation to walking the Camino... :D

Buen Camino and Goede Reis!

Bonjour
It's my birthday today I am happy about my age and my life, I am 62 ( first time I write that number...)so I think that it is a good moment to introduce myself . I should start from Le Puy around the 13 th of september for a couple of months walk. In 1999 I walked the Camino Frances until Santiago de Compostella so for me that time I do not necessarily aim to reach Santiago, I am more going for the happiness of walking on such a beautiful and historical way, to have an intensive and smiling encounter with myself and with others around a meal at night . I intend to walk alone as I did the last time. Things are changing...I am enjoying so much the ''belonging to a community'' feeling that this blog is giving and the precious information that the people are sharing so generously.

I am from Quebec City. If sometime you hear a strange sound mixing celtic and gregorian music it might be me... I will bring a low D thin whistle .
Serge

Hey y'all! I'm Veronica and my husband, David, and I were in the 2011 Class until life happened and we opted to spend another year in Romania as US Peace Corps Volunteers.
We've been dreaming of camino for years and in two months, we'll be there. Crazy! And a little intimidating because it's becoming so real. And because we've been in Romania, we're definitely not bringing the super light uber gear that so many chat about on the forums. But simplicity is the theme, right?
We're planning to start out in SJPP on 21 August! Hope to see some of y'all along the way!

Vero

€149,-
camelle said:
Hello Tia Valeria: Thanks for the link. It worked out nicely between you and your husband. We wouldn't have much of an issue walking together, but more where we would sleep. I like the idea of the albergues, but my husband ... not so much. Anyway, we have decided that this first camino will be my experience and who knows what will happen next time??

Ellen
Sorry I've only just caught up with this thread. Large albergues and too many people around aren't our thing, others love the crowds. So:-
We used a mixture of private albergues and hostals this year. Worked fine.
Last year on the Inglés we used the (small) public albergues and hostals. Fine on a quiet Camino.

Buen Camino, whatever you choose

Stellamaris said:
Bonjour
It's my birthday today I am happy about my age and my life, I am 62 ( first time I write that number...)so I think that it is a good moment to introduce myself . I should start from Le Puy around the 13 th of september for a couple of months walk. In 1999 I walked the Camino Frances until Santiago de Compostella so for me that time I do not necessarily aim to reach Santiago, I am more going for the happiness of walking on such a beautiful and historical way, to have an intensive and smiling encounter with myself and with others around a meal at night . I intend to walk alone as I did the last time. Things are changing...I am enjoying so much the ''belonging to a community'' feeling that this blog is giving and the precious information that the people are sharing so generously.

I am from Quebec City. If sometime you hear a strange sound mixing celtic and gregorian music it might be me... I will bring a low D thin whistle .
Serge

Hello Serge,

Happy Birthday and welcome to the Forum!

Much has changed and developed on the Camino since your walk in 1999 including this Forum which is a wonderful exchange of ideas. You will finds lots of useful information here for your upcoming Camino. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice.

Be sure to check the the Over 60's thread which has been compiled by some of us senior pilgrims. Here is that link --http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html . Our motto might be "Carpe Diem".

Buen Camino,

Margaret

€149,-
JillHives said:
Under 60 days now and my bag is already packed. I think waiting might be the hardest part.
Me too! I'm wishing the summer away - Hurry up September 1st :arrow:

amourier said:
Me too! I'm wishing the summer away - Hurry up September 1st :arrow:

It's been raining all 'summer' here so I will gladly wish it away! Please let there be sun in Spain in September. Please. Please. Please.

Re: Class of 2012 Its OFFICIALLY OFFICIAL!

Today my brother gifted me with his FF miles and Officially booked my camino travel plans! :D
Will be departing Aug 26 from NJ and arriving in Toulouse on the 27 then jump on train to Lourdes to spend a few days before starting Camino. Plan on arriving in St Jean on or about Sep 1/2 and starting camino on or about Sept 3/4- my Bday! GOd willing make it to SDC and then take train to Fatima for Oct 13 apparition anniversary...then back to NJ from Lisbon on the 14th.

Feeling slightly neurotic and nervous, so if you will be traveling on camino around same time please PM me!

Just got back pack in mail and packed it with lt wt. gear today...so surprised how much so little weighs! Will test gear packed on walk tomorrow. Will sublet my place while gone, and pray to find work when I return! Have a dear friend setting up a web site for me to raise money for a charity..have not seen site yet..but young lady is dear friend, inspiration and at 22 years young about to start her own camino on Aug 17th when she gets married!

I know some of you are anxious to begin, but I am happy to have a little extra time to prepare mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually over the next 7 weeks..Buen Camino! Lisa

Plan on arriving in St Jean on or about Sep 1/2 and starting camino on or about Sept 3/4- my Bday! Feeling slightly neurotic and nervous, so if you will be traveling on camino around same time please PM me!

Hello Lisa, what a great way to start a new birth year. We probably will cross pass sometime along the Camino. Starting my walk on September 6, so watch out for a "Crazy Canuck" :wink: . I think we all, at some point, feel abit neurotic and nervous. Buen Camino, Ingrid

caminocalling said:
Today my brother gifted me with his FF miles and Officially booked my camino travel plans! :D
Will be departing Aug 26 from NJ and arriving in Toulouse on the 27 then jump on train to Lourdes to spend a few days before starting Camino. Plan on arriving in St Jean on or about Sep 1/2 and starting camino on or about Sept 3/4- my Bday! GOd willing make it to SDC and then take train to
I know some of you are anxious to begin, but I am happy to have a little extra time to prepare mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually over the next 7 weeks..Buen Camino! Lisa
Hi, Lisa:
I, too, will be starting my walk early September, either the 1st or 2nd week from SJPP. I will be carrying a turquoise backpack with a Forum badge, as well as a Texas flag patch (I'm from Dallas). I originally was going the end of May, but plans changed due to work opportunities. I have begun my daily training, again, using a wonderful training outline given to me by a friend who did the Camino Frances last year. Someone passed it on to her but I don't know who originally put it together. May be someone from England(?). I would attach it, but not sure how to do that on this message! :)
Buen Camino! Hope to meet you on the "Way."
"Bozzie"
(Dee Anne)

We are Peter and Karen Miller from Little Rock, Arkansas. This is my 70th birthday present. We are planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago in mid September. We hope to be able to carry no more than 10 pounds each and believe that wr can average 15 k per day. Is this realistic?

Anybody from Arkansas that we can get advice from.?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
:D Alrighty then. I'm SOLD. I am going to head out in late August for Madrid and start the Camino in SJPD on or near Sept 1-2-or 3. I don't belive I am in a hurrry to get there in case something comes my way for a day or so. I also will not be in a hurry to finish the Camino either. It appears from the forum that many people are starting this journey around that time. September always has been my favorite month of the year and a great time for travel. So come this Monday or Tuesday I plan on hitting the travel sites and booking everything and anything to get my A%& out there. Again I know a lot of people have made travel plans at that time from the U.S., so any suggestions are always welcome. I feel a new beginning on the horizon and I pray this will be everything I hope it will be. That shouldn't be that hard seeing that I take everyday as is comes ( with a smile ). Carpe Diem. So to all that are heading that way around that time, I look forward to making some new and interesting friends and beginning a new chapter in life.

Bien Camino.... I have got to start working on my spanesh

Hi All,

I'm planning on flying into Madrid around the 29th of August. I was wondering how much time should I allow to get from Madrid to SJPD? I'm not really sure how far it is and I'm not in a hurry. I would like to start the Camino around Sept. 1-2-or 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to a day in Madrid and mosey around a little.

Francescalignumvitae said:
Hello! Francesca here, looking forward to starting off from SJDPP mid September and walking on (and on), through October to Santiago. Mad about trees (different thread) but looking for info on lightweight women's rucksacks, weather on Camino Frances during this time period, other Sept/Oct 2012 Camino Souls, practical tips and idealistic thoughts. Many Blessings!
Hola Francesca,
I have only just found your post.
I use a Berghaus Freeflow 25+5 ladies fit rucksac, weight 1kg 60gms. It fits my shape well and the airflow back means I do not get sweaty. It is a top loader with extendable zipped side pouches and a zipped top lid pocket, plus side pockets where I keep my waterbottles. Berghaus make a variety of packs so trying different ones on is a good idea. Terry's, on the right, is a larger men's version, and both come with their own pack covers in an extra zipped pocket in the lid.
They are easily available in the UK

Attachments

• our rucksacs.jpg
    our rucksacs.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,206
Hi all,

I'm Shawna and very excited to join the class of 2012, as I just bought my flight today to start on August 23! This is my second camino (did Astroga to Santiago) and haven't decided where I'll start this time, but am thrilled to be headed back and start planning again.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.