• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
I inquired about transport from Pamplona to St Jean. The reply may help:

On Jan 24, 2013, at 8:57, caroline aphessetche <apcaroline@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
we don't do anymore transport from Pamplona cause of problems with the taxi there.
But in may, i think that you will find a bus with CONDA, try to find the information in their website.
Caroline

EXPRESS BOURRICOT
transport bagages, pèlerins, séjours culturels

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is time for me to sign up for the Class of 2013. I am a moderately fit 64 year old from the Vancouver BC area, still working full time, but fortunate to be able to take time off fairly easily.

I have long been interested in the Camino and my Spanish is quite functional, but I was a little uncertain about my physical ability to do the Camino. So, in November 2012 I walked from Astorga to Santiago with my sister-in-law, taking 13 days. It was an excellent warm-up or practice walk, and now I am more confident.

My tentative plan is to start in St. Jean in mid-October 2013 and allow 6 weeks to get to Santiago. That means an average of 20 km/day. I am prepared to change plans in case of injury, exhaustion or terrible weather. I will go officially "alone" this time as I am looking forward to the social-solitude that the Camino provides so well. That said, I hope to meet up with other walking companions for portions of the journey, especially through some of the mountainous stretches.

On a few controversial points, here is my plan:
•6 kg in Osprey Talon 33 pack.
•Two Black Diamond collapsible walking sticks.
•Sleeping bag rated to 0 degrees C.
•Salomon lightweight boots (sooooo comfortable but not fully waterproof, in spite of Goretex)
•Rain jacket and pants rather than poncho.
•Smart phone plus Brierley's guidebook
•Bedbug encounters are likely, so organize things to make laundering/cleaning easy.
•Mixture of accommodation types, but travelling alone this time will make casa rurales expensive.

I am really looking forward to the trip. I am just as fascinated by this forum, the preparation process and the different opinons now, as I was before my trial walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your plan looks great. You learned from your practice walk! Keep in mind that albergues begin closing at the end of October, so you may find accommodations open only in the larger towns. Unfortunately, the internet sites are not correct about the ones that are open all year, so research is difficult. In places with two or more albergues, one seemed to be open (when I walked in October, November, and March).

Tried the Ahnu Montara hiking boots today… They have got to go back!! Sits too high on my ankle (think I may have a bruise) and I could “feel” the ground too much…not ridged enough...not enough cushion even with my own insole inserts. I went to REI afterwards while feet were still in walking mode and tried on some other brands (Merrell, Vasque, Soloman and Oboz). I am leaning back toward my Merrell Moab’s mid-rise but a half size bigger than the pair I wore in Utah at Zion and as a result lost two toenails...ouch! The full size larger than my normal size shoe just felt GOOD!! In Utah they kept my feet cozy and dry. Had it not been for the steep decline, I think my feet would have been great! I did not buy anything but I know I need to buy soon so I can get some training hikes in with & without the pack before June.

Besides comfort, what other things should I be thinking about when trying on boots?

At REI there should be an incline so you can put on yor boots and stand down hill. You have selected some excellent brands (Merrell and Vascque). Downhill is the challenge! I think your instincts are correct in getting a size larger, plus good hiking socks should solve the problems. I'm wearing LL Bean Cresta Hikers and think they are good, as well.
Fearing blisters I elected not to wear hiking boots to climb Guadalupe Peak (highest point in Texas) and wore my New Balance gym shoes. Going up; no prob. Going down lost some toenails. Should have worn the boots! I think you are on the correct path. Good luck.
I am going on 01 May, hoping to meet some fellow hikers. Best wishes for your success.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trishkerry said:
Hi,
I am planning to walk or ride the route in 2013 (1st time). I would prefer to walk it but my partner is not happy about me embarking on the journey alone (he cant join me for medical reasons). I havent fixed a date yet but Im hoping that by next year I willl have found someone to walk with me or to have convinced my man that its safe to walk it alone.
Trish

Trish, I hope that you decide to come on the Camino in 2013. Too bad that your partner can't come, but you should come anyway. I went on the Camino in 2011 with my brother and nephew, we all split up after the 2nd day or so for a variety of different reasons. That left me on my own, a woman, but fortunately I found a bunch of people to talk with in the evenings and sometimes to walk with too. I'm still in communication with many of them. I'll be returning to the Camino Frances (truly alone this time) in May 2013. Maybe we'll see each other!

Thanks pablo1775!
I tested on the slope before Utah and yesterday...it is funny, before Utah I really did not think about it...shoes felt good. Yesterday was a different experience, probably because I had experience :) I did the Susan G Komen 3 Day in 2009 with no problems at all...just achy feet. Thought I knew what I was doing but learned a lot about my feet and strength in Utah. I am excited to walk the camino and see what I will learn about myself!

Thanks again!

N.

Hi everyone
I did the "camino frances" in april/may 2012, and now I plan to walk from Porto to Santiago and after from Oviedo to Santiago-Finistere on may/june 2013.

Like many new and old pilgrims , I have seen " The Way" in english version.

It comforted me to go through again this amazing experience. You should also watch this french moovie: "St Jacques La Mecque". It's funny and stirring ! I hope you will find it in english version or subtitled.
enjoy your way
Dominique

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
mgrussell said:
C clearly said:
•Mixture of accommodation types, but travelling alone this time will make casa rurales expensive.

where can I fond out more about "casa rurales?"

Mgrussell,

Here is a useful web site in English for more information about casa rurales in Spain or elsewhere in Europe >>http://www.toprural.co.uk/Holiday-cottages_Spain_9_h.html. This includes bed and breakfast accommodation as well as self-catering chalets.

Happy research!

Margaret Meredith

where can I find out more about "casa rurales?"

As you walk along, you will see signs/notices giving directions to casa rurales, as well as private albergues. Casa rurales are private bed-and-breakfast accommodation for about E35 for 2 people (in my very limited experience). The private albergues often had 2-person rooms for E10-15/person.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
My name is Rhonda. My sister, Cheryl, and I are on a plane to Madrid May 14, 2013. She also saw the movie "The Way" also. Inspired, she called to ask if I wanted to go to Spain and walk a 500 mile pilgrimage. I laughed...and then realized she was serious! (I thought she was past childhood hatred of me) After 30 minutes of research, I too, was inspired. Can't explain why, don't have a clue. Maybe God only knows. But 33 + days with my sister and new friends.....priceless!
Rhonda

I did not want to travel through France to get to St Jean, but transport in Spain is a bit tenative, so I'm going to Paris-Barritz-Bayonne-St Jean. Patchwork of flights to Paris, but good connections going home. I expect to be dragging on arrival at CDG. Made reservations last night, and should be in St Jean on 04 May ready to walk. Am now dealing with phones and chargers and health insurance and future bills. Seems like a lot of admin/prep work prior to action. Buying pack this week. I retired my old one during the planning stage. I'm starting to feel like Jules Vern who said that he had planned a trip so carefully that when the time came he did not feel the need to go. Not quite there, but I understand! This 75 year old Marine is ready to saddle up and go!

pablo1775 said:
I did not want to travel through France to get to St Jean, but transport in Spain is a bit tenative, so I'm going to Paris-Barritz-Bayonne-St Jean. Patchwork of flights to Paris, but good connections going home. I expect to be dragging on arrival at CDG. Made reservations last night, and should be in St Jean on 04 May ready to walk. Am now dealing with phones and chargers and health insurance and future bills. Seems like a lot of admin/prep work prior to action. Buying pack this week. I retired my old one during the planning stage. I'm starting to feel like Jules Vern who said that he had planned a trip so carefully that when the time came he did not feel the need to go. Not quite there, but I understand! This 75 year old Marine is ready to saddle up and go!

Semper fidelis Pablo, have a great camino.

Seamus

Greetings from Omaha, Nebraska -USA! Just arrived here to the Forum. I'm walking this May/June 2013. The Forum has been invaluable so far! Thanks! :D

margiewalks said:
Greetings from Omaha, Nebraska -USA! Just arrived here to the Forum. I'm walking this May/June 2013. The Forum has been invaluable so far! Thanks! :D
Welcome Margie! Continue to soak up all the advice and debate, and don't hesitate to ask if anything is preying on your mind. Buen Camino! :D

supersullivan said:
pablo1775 said:

Semper fidelis Pablo, have a great camino.

Seamus

OoohRah Marine! You probably had stripes and rockers by the time I made it through OCS since you're nine years my senior. I'm starting in LePuy 14 May so will probably never catch you but I'll be eyes-front for any signs of mayhem you left behind :lol:
Semper Fi
Farmer John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone!

Brigitte from Montana, USA here. My bestie, Laura, and I will be starting our first Camino, Pamplona to Santiago, in early March 2013. Hope to meet you along the way!

Thanks for taking the time to help us newbies along with these terrifically helpful posts!

Buen Camino!

Hi! My name is Susan. I am from Louisville, KY and I'm thrilled to be joining the class of 2013. I had wanted to do the Camino ten years ago, for my 50th birthday, but it never happened. I will turn 60 in July and am planning on doing My Camino in September/October. I am exhilarated! I have so much yet to do and am so very grateful to have this forum and all of you to help me plan. Gracias! Buen Camino! :

Hi we are planning to walk only the last part of the Camino in Sept/Oct 2013! Very jealous we can't do the whole Camino this time round... Have read some posts and realised I need to add some fat to my introduction! My name is Christa, I am married to an angel called Jaco and mother to a beautiful four year old daughter, Charissa, and I am from Johannesburg in South Africa and will be turning 40 this year, my friend Antoinette will be joining me in this endeavour! The dates we have in mind are leaving SA on 20 September 2013 and returning to SA by 6 October 2013, we are planning to fly to Barcelona, check out the city and then find our way to we dont realy know where yet... Hoping to start the actual walking by 23/24 September... This forum looks awesome and any and all advise would be much appreciated!! Where could we realistically start from with the time we have...(say a maximum of 10 walking days)? Would like to have a relaxing two days in Santiago before we return to Barcelona for our return flight home...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
pablo1775 said:
Seems like a lot of admin/prep work prior to action. Buying pack this week. I retired my old one during the planning stage. I'm starting to feel like Jules Vern who said that he had planned a trip so carefully that when the time came he did not feel the need to go. Not quite there, but I understand! This 75 year old Marine is ready to saddle up and go!

I agree with Jules Vern.
I am sooooooo close (40 days to go). I have planned and 'put aside' things as I had the money to purchase them. I just worked out that over 3 years of planning and purchasing the 'lightest' and the highly recommended', I needed those three years to afford this much planning (lol). I have spent over AU$3,500 and haven't left the country yet. Though our tickets (for 2) were 2,500 from Australia to Paris, and I've got a night's accommodation in Paris before training it to SJ.

Mind you.... I have no idea what's going to happen once I get to Santiago.... I'm too brain-fried. And I have a feeling this is why I need to walk the Camino - to let go of all this ridiculous "control-freak" stuff. (though in my defense, I do have my daughter and this makes me a bit more hypervigilant).

I haven't got a red-razoo to take on the journey. But God is good, and He didn't bring me safe thus far, to turn around and say, "nah Gina, I was only kiddin'. You're not going anywhere". No!,My God, who sparked the flame for The Way will continue to lead me home (via Spain)!

I am planning at last of doing the Camino in late May early June not sure which route to take as this is my first time doing it. I am relatively fit and would like to do a scenic maybe coastal route any suggestions from previous pilgrims as I will be doing it with just one other friend we would like to join some others, would appreciate any information or tips about routes.
Regards, Trish

Hi, I am Stella from beautiful Colorado Springs, Colorado. I will be walking the Camino with my best friend in May 2013. I have been reading the forum and following the Facebook page for several months but have never posted. We are doing the Camino Frances and have discussed expectations with eachother, including that we realize that there are days we may wish to just be alone or walk with another person.

I just ordered my forum badge, so maybe I'll catch one of you on the Camino! I thought I read of someone from Manitou Springs, Colorado who was going this year but can't find the post. If you see this, please feel free to pipe up. Perhaps we can enjoy a hike together.

Stella

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Stella, I'm flying into Madrid on 1 May and starting from burgos so may see you along there. I cant wait to be away from the hustle an bustle of UK and meeting others from all over the worl :)

My turn now. My name is Robert and I´m 33 years old. I´m half British half Spanish and I live in Palma de Mallorca. I will be departing on March the 18th, and I will do it literary from the front door of my house. My strides will take me to Palma´s harbour and will cross the Balearic Sea by boat to Barcelona. From there I´ll walk the Camino Catalán, the Camino del Ebro and hit the Camino Francés at Logroño sometime on the first week of April. My way will end at Finisterre and I expect to get there the first week of May.

This will not be my first Camino. In february 2009 I did the Camino Aragonés, starting from Jaca and finising in Santiago de Compostela. I wouldn´t say that it changed me radically but, definitively was a step that made me see thing from another perspective. I started to understand that I didn´t need a lot of things to be well and feel well.

Every day that passes gets me closer to the departing day. My heart, my mind and my backpack are ready. The world is open in front of me.

Wish a great Camino to all of you and see you on the road!

Un saludo a todos y ¡buen camino!

Buen Camino Robert. What an amazing Camino. Que tengas suerte! :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
susansmith53 said:
Hi! My name is Susan. I am from Louisville, KY and I'm thrilled to be joining the class of 2013. I had wanted to do the Camino ten years ago, for my 50th birthday, but it never happened. I will turn 60 in July and am planning on doing My Camino in September/October. I am exhilarated! I have so much yet to do and am so very grateful to have this forum and all of you to help me plan. Gracias! Buen Camino! :

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the Forum! You will find much helpful information here as you plan your Camino. Ask as many questions as you like. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice.

Be sure to check out this Over 60's thread which is filled with useful comments for us seniors.>> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html

I completed my first Camino at age 65 and am still walking. Hope springs eternal.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Oldsoldier said:
Hi Stella, I'm flying into Madrid on 1 May and starting from burgos so may see you along there. I cant wait to be away from the hustle an bustle of UK and meeting others from all over the worl :)

Awesome! Maybe I will see you! I am Latina with long black hair and my best friend has long blonde hair. I'm getting very excited myself. It's now 90 days away!

We actually just bought our tix, so it turns out we'll arrive Madrid the evening of 1 May, spend the night, and then head to Pamplona >>SJPdP on 2 May. We'll start walking 3 May.

I see you mentioned flying or starting your
camino on 01May. Just be aware the the first od May is a national holiday in Spain and most of Europe. Depending on what day of the week it is things can get very busy. Book your stay if you can especialy around that day. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
bklyntraveller said:
I see you mentioned flying or starting your
camino on 01May. Just be aware the the first od May is a national holiday in Spain and most of Europe. Depending on what day of the week it is things can get very busy. Book your stay if you can especialy around that day. Buen Camino

As brklyntraveller notes May is a busy month for holidays in western Europe. This year May 1, Labor Day, is a Wednesday. In France and Spain many people will take the Monday and Tuesday , April 29 and 30, off to make a "pont", "puente" or bridge for a long weekend. May 8 which celebrates the end of WWII is often treated in the same way.

Margaret Meredith

How are you planning to get from Madrid to Burgos? I'm looking for the simplest way to get fro England to Burgos in May. Are you per-booking transport?

Hi sue, ive looked into it and as my flight into Madrid doesnt land until after 10pm im staying in a hotel by the airport then gonna get a bus to burgos from the nain bus depot on Avenue de Americas. The bus takes 2 1/2 hrs so will allow me time to settle into burgos before starting my walk on the 2nd. If you wanna navigate to burgos with me that would be cool :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi!
I have forgotten to introduce myself... :D
My name is Susanna and I'm from Sweden (of course), and I'm 48 years old.
I will start walking mid May something from Madrid to Sahagun, and from there continue to Leon.
And see how it feels there, if I want to continue to Oviedo, and from there to Santiago.
Or take another way.
I will decide that when there.

I walked Vdlp a couple of years ago but regret I did it too fast. I didn't took the time to enjoy the walk. I didn't plan anything and had no guide book and no map.
Too much planning is bad, but no planning is bad also, I have realised.
Ok I start my walk in May, and will spend the coming months dreaming about it.

Buen Camino

Hi all

Looking for advice: wondering what is the best way to get from Madrid to Leon. Sounds like both bus and train are options. Just wondering what is the least complicated method.

Just wondering what is the least complicated method.
Buses leave from the airport directly to Leon. It doesn't get much simpler than that!
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Leon 01:00 05:45 4h 45min 31.3€ LMXJVSD
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Leon 13:45 18:30 4h 45min 24.07€ LMXJVS
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Leon 15:00 19:15 4h 15min 40.01€ LMXJ SD
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Leon 15:00 19:45 4h 45min 24.07€ V
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Leon 16:45 21:15 4h 30min 24.07€ LMXJV
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Leon 20:30 00:40 4h 10min 31.3€ LMXJV D
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Leon 21:45 02:45 5h 00min 24.07€ LMXJV D
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Leon 23:59 04:45 4h 46min 24.07€ LMXJVSD

Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Burgos 07:15 09:45 2h 30min 17.55€ LMXJVS
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Burgos 07:45 10:15 2h 30min 17.55€ LMXJVSD
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Burgos 08:15 10:45 2h 30min 17.55€ LMXJVSD
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Burgos 09:15 11:45 2h 30min 17.55€ LMXJVSD
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Burgos 13:15 15:45 2h 30min 28.53€ LMXJ
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Burgos 19:15 22:15 3h 00min 17.55€ LMXJVSD
Madrid - Barajas Airport T4 Burgos 22:15 00:45 2h 30min 17.55€ LMXJVSD

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola everyone!
My name's Bella and I am busy preparing myself for my first ever Camino.
I will be walking the Camino Frances from the 25th March - 27th April 2013.
I am twenty-three years old, British, but currently living and working as an Au-Pair in the Catalonian region of Spain. Since Pamplona is but a short train ride away, I decided that upon finishing my job here, it would be the perfect time to begin my Camino - something that I have been itching to do for a while, and was fueled even further after I watched the film The Way!

With only SEVEN weeks to go (eek) it is hard to think of anything else, but luckily I look after two young girls who are keeping me occupied in the meantime.

Hope to meet some of you out there!

Buen Camino all and God Bless :)

Bella

I too will be in the Class of 2013.
I am Anne from Australia, where we are currently experiencing extremes of weather - 46 degrees last week and 14 degrees today!! I do hope this helps me be prepared for any weather conditions on the Camino.
All my flights are booked. I leave Sydney on 21 September and have 30 days to walk from Leon, with the intention of finishing in Finisterre. A few stops along the way, including 2 days in Leon to recover from 36 hours of non-stop travel, before I begin walking on the 26th September. Will also spend 3 days in SdC.
This forum has been wonderful and I am very grateful for all the advice, generous contributions and support for those just beginning. There is such a breadth of wisdom to be shared. I must admit I check the forum last thing each night so I drift off to sleep with thoughts of the journey which awaits me.
Looking forward to meeting many of you in September - October. Blessings to all. :wink:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi All!

My name is Jon, 21 years old from England. I am walking the Camino Portugues from 23rd August to 8th September.

This will be my first camino and hopefully not the last.

Just wish I could have booked it for earlier in the year!

Bella.H.24 said:
Hola everyone!
My name's Bella and I am busy preparing myself for my first ever Camino.
I will be walking the Camino Frances from the 25th March - 27th April 2013.
I am twenty-three years old, British, but currently living and working as an Au-Pair in the Catalonian region of Spain. Since Pamplona is but a short train ride away, I decided that upon finishing my job here, it would be the perfect time to begin my Camino - something that I have been itching to do for a while, and was fueled even further after I watched the film The Way!

With only SEVEN weeks to go (eek) it is hard to think of anything else, but luckily I look after two young girls who are keeping me occupied in the meantime.

Hope to meet some of you out there!

Buen Camino all and God Bless :)

Bella
Hola Bella,
Welcome to Class of 2013. We leave SJPDP 18th March but as you have youth on your side you might catch up with us. We visit the Catalonian region regularly and is a favourite after the Camino of course. Our paths may cross. Hope you have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.
Slán go fóill.
Des :lol:

I'm so excited!
I just bought my plane ticket for Spain! My partner and I are vacationing for two weeks and I plan to start my Camino in Santander on about July 25. I look forward to meeting some folks on the Norte and Primitivo!

Thankyou Falcon 269.
You have just made my planning a whole lot easier. I fly into Madrid, arriving at 13.30 on a Sunday. I should be able to get the 15:00 bus, arriving Leon at 19:15. I originally planned to travel by train, but that may be a little more complex. With a 30 hour journey to Madrid, I want the easiest option. Can anyone advise about travel to my accommodation once I arrive in Leon? I am staying in Plaza Santo Martino.
Many thanks to all Forum contributors.
Ammie :wink:

I like this place.
Guzmán El Bueno‎
Calle LĂłpez CastrillĂłn, 6
24003 LeĂłn, Spain
987 23 64 12
hostalguzman.es‎
Cross the river up by the train station, and walk just past the Gaudi building and Guzman building. It is reasonable and convenient, and the Camino is just behind it when leaving the next day.

Hello Everyone

My name is Henry from Ontario, Canada and I too will be joining the class of 2013.My daughter Jane did her Camino from SJPP in Sept 2012 and during her first few days on the Camino called me and said "Dad, you so have to do this".So planning started and I leave on April 25th to Paris ,then train to Bordeaux-Bayonne-then SJPP.Arranging tickets was simple and the timing worked out very well even though it will be a long travelling day.I am a 61 year old man and consider myself up for the challenge however, plan to pace myself to enjoy the moment and meet other pilgrims along the way.My plan is to start walking on the 27th to Orisson then on to Roncavalles the next day so as to ease into and delight into what I believe will be a "Life Experience".
Although I haven't thought much about where to stay and how far to walk each day I do want to end up in Saintiago on June 2.
This forum has been invaluable to me and reading all the posts makes me quite excited about starting my journey.

Buen Camino to everyone

Hello. We will be walking from SJPDP to Santiago (hopefully Finesterre) from mid May to the end of June. Thanks for all of the helpful information on here.

waveprof said:
Hello. We will be walking from SJPDP to Santiago (hopefully Finesterre) from mid May to the end of June. Thanks for all of the helpful information on here.

Then we will be out there at the same time. I´ll start from Logroño the 25/5 and my aim is to reach SdC around the 20/6. See you!

// J

Kia Ora everyone. I am Christine and my husband and I have decided to take 7 months out of the working world to travel. Despite the objection from my physiotherapist we will be walking Porto to Santiago in mid September (I have two false hips and some muscular challenges which I am working through). We are from New Zealand and are certainly looking forward to meeting new people on the tour. Hope to see some of you. Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am Suzie, and my son Sam (17) and I will begin our first Camino on June 19 through the end of July. We are from Iowa, USA, and will be beginning at SJPP.

Hello there, looking for some experts advice/guidance on my potential Camino trip this July.

Myself and 6 friends, all about to finish our A Levels exams, are planning on doing a 2 week variation of the Camino de Santiago. We are all 18 and in relatively good physical condition.

How hard is the walk itself? How many miles/kilometres a day would be necessary?

We're looking to do something very different to what, perhaps the rest of our peers will be doing and this sounds perfect!

Thanks.

A group moves only as fast as its slowest member, so survey your group honestly, and pick a daily distance that is appropriate. An average of 25 km per day may be suitable for everyone (more if all of you are in daily sports programs). Then go to this site and make some preliminary plans:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Leon is a good starting point for a two-week camino walk.

falcon269 said:
A group moves only as fast as its slowest member, so survey your group honestly, and pick a daily distance that is appropriate. An average of 25 km per day may be suitable for everyone (more if all of you are in daily sports programs). Then go to this site and make some preliminary plans:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Leon is a good starting point for a two-week camino walk.

Thats sounds good. We are all quite fit and doing sport.

I'm more concerned about our age. Is 18 a suitable age to be doing the Camino?

Is 18 a suitable age to be doing the Camino?
It is, if it is your idea!!

If you can cover 31 km per day, you can go from Burgos to Santiago in 14 days..

falcon269 said:

Sounds good. We may cheat over some bits if it means arrving in Santiago after 14 days!

Thanks for the advice.

Spence_NUFC said:
falcon269 said:

Sounds good. We may cheat over some bits if it means arrving in Santiago after 14 days!

Thanks for the advice.

Plan your starting point so that you can easily walk through to Santiago and receive the Compestella (certificate). It requires doing the entire last 100 km and documenting it with a credential.
Look around the other sections of the forum and ask lots of questions.

tyrrek said:
pilgrim b said:
...we are going on the 6th of June....
You've chosen a good date to start. The 6th of June is D-Day! :D Yes, take the advice above. Mass at noon and sit at the sides. It's 50/50 whether or not it will swing really. Get to the cathedral about half an hour before to get a seat! Buen Camino!

Thanks again for the sound tips "tyrrek will bear them in mind. Rain in Spain in early June, I have heard that Northern Spain can be quite damp any opinions on, the waterproof jacket V Poncho or are we likely to see very little rain that time of year walking from Leon. :?

thanks pilgrim b

falcon269 said:

You also might consider starting in SJPDP or Roncevalles, experiencing the pass and the early/iconic portions of the camino, and then, after a week, busing ahead to the final 100+ kilometers. Just a thought.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the words of those 2 generations younger than me: Only 108 sleeps to go :D

Buen camino to all the peregrinos of 2013.

Seamus

I am excited about my first walk on the Camino starting in Leon in May 2013! Yikes! Less than 4 months now!

MCMurray: Hope to see you on the trail. I arrive CDG in Paris May 3, spend night, train to SJean on 4th and hope to make Orrison by evening of 4th. If things get hectic, will spend night in SJean.
I have just bought a pack. Wow! Big difference from my 25 year old one. After some research I went to REI store, got excellent service, and bought the REI 70 pack. I'm planning about 21Km a day, often less, but only once or twice a bit more. I'm figuring 42-45 days on the trail or so. If I have any energy left will attempt to continue hike to ocean. Then bus to Coruna (I read a neat bit of history about the city), and then start back to Texas. Best wishes for your success.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Help, I am now really confused. Think I have read too many guide books. What clothing and sleeping bag would you suggest for the Camino leaving SJPP on May 30th, hoping to arrive in Santiago on July 4th. Any advice is welcome. Buen Camino, Adrienne

Bannerman and Bella. I hope our paths may cross. My daughter and I are leaving SJPP 21/22 March. I will be walking at Georgia's pace (she's 10), so no doubt you will pass me at some stage!

Gina & Georgia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bannerman said:
Hola a todos los peregrinos,
My wife, Mary, and I are very much looking forward to being back on Camino again after a break of two years and to be part of the class 2013. We arrive in Biarritz on 17th March and start from SJPDP 18th.
The information on the Pilgrim Forum is fantastic and as I read my daily email I feel as if I’m on the Camino in spirit at least.
I have to admire the effort that pilgrims make who travel from far away countries to go on the Camino. We consider ourselves very fortunate as it is only a two hour flight from Ireland.
We have always found the Spanish people to be very welcoming, friendly and helpful.
To the debutante pilgrims, I say embrace the spirit of the Camino, actively join the travelling pilgrim family, become a pilgrim. It is not a race, set your own pace, it will become a personal journey. For pilgrims travelling alone, you will only be alone by choice as with any family, the pilgrim family looks after its own .And remember it is addictive, you will be making return visits.
Of course the highlight for us will be meeting again our very good friend Ursula. Ursula represents all that is good about the Camino and what it is to be a good pilgrim.
Hope to meet some of you along the way.
Slán go fóill.
Buen Camino.
Des.
:lol:
Hi Des, you've overwhelmed me with what you say about me... :oops: It's been the way you and Mary LIVED the Camino and all the valuable advice you gave me which became my guiding example on the Camino and which has made my first Camino unforgettable. I am SO MUCH looking forward to meeting you again on our :arrow: 2013 Camino!
Slán go fóill. and
BUEN CAMINO :!:

Hello...I would like to say thankyou for such a wonderful forum. So much of my planning has been from information gathered here. I am from Melbourne, Australia and begin my Camino Frances in SJDP late August 2013. I will stay one night in Paris near Montparnasse as this station gives me a direct train to Lourdes which i am visitng for a number of days and then a train from Lourdes to SJDP to begin my pilgrimage. We are so blessed in Oz to have the wonderful gift of long service leave!...I have 36 days and Finistere may be a possibility but i will be happy with just reaching Santiago. I think with a journey like this you have to let go of controlling every part of it and just walk...rest when needed.. walk..rest..and walk again. I am a solo pilgrim but i have complete faith that even with no other walkers in sight i will never really be alone at all.I only began planning in Dec 2012 and realised 2014 was just to far away and so im very excited to be part of the class of 2013. Thankyou again. Buen Camino.

reg2450 said:
Bannerman and Bella. I hope our paths may cross. My daughter and I are leaving SJPP 21/22 March. I will be walking at Georgia's pace (she's 10), so no doubt you will pass me at some stage!

Gina & Georgia

I expect I will indeed meet you both on the Camino as I am planning to leave from Roncenvalles, or Pamplona (still can't decide which) just a few days after you!

Hope the planning is going well and you're as excited as I am!

Buen Camino :)

Bella

€149,-
A 60th birthday gift to myself, my husband and I are hoping to walk our first Camino Frances in August/September. We have been talking/planning this camino for the past 3 years and I can't believe the time is now so close . . . I'm excited and at the same time nervous about unknown but judging from the past and future pilgrims on this board, we'll be in good company.

Sally

Hi! I'm Lance from Ottawa, Canada and I will be doing my first Camino this Spring. I plan to arrive in May and walk the Camino Frances. Started my planning a little late but am very excited to get going!!!

I plan to undertake my first Camino commencing the end of August 2013. My thoughts are to start the journey in Pamplona. I will be flying from the UK (Heathrow, Gatwick?) to Madrid then up to Pamplona. I plan to then fly from Santiago back to Madrid and then on to UK once again. Obviously any tips or suggestions would be most appreciated. I am looking forward to the experience but a little apprehensive, but the bonus is I've lived in Spain and speak a little Spanish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It may be useful to let people know your dates people as you may be able to share transport. For example Lance, I am arriving Biarritz on 9th May and have a taxi organised to SJPdp.
allan

I think you can get on the train at Biarritz to Bayonne to St Jean PdP. I plan to do it that way. Train gets into St Jean a bit late, so I'm spending night there and starting hike next morn.
Happy Trails!

Ultreya Everyone!

In a matter of a few days I'll be a permanent member of Class 2013!

Arriving in SJPP 1st of march and if God and the weather allows me, will be starting my walk up to Finisterra on march 2nd.

Everyone with the Camino Spirit within, will be on my heart and toughts throughout the way !!!

Buen Camino fellow pilgrims from the Class of 2013 !!!

€83,-
Looking forward to September

Hello, I have been thinking about walking the Camino for several years and now I am comitted. I have my airline tickets and will be arriving at CDG from Boston, 7"35 AM on September 5th. I am planning on 33 days of walking and returning to Boston from Santiago.

Anyone reading this who has a similar schedule and who would like to communicate will be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

Camino - March/April 2013

Whew…finally the plans are made. I guess I’m doing two Caminos. On March 16th 2013 I will leave our home in Bend, Oregon with my son Jack, who is sixteen, arriving London on the 17th. We will stay a few days in London then fly to Santiago on March 20th and make our way to Sarria. We will walk from Sarria to Santiago and fly back to London on March 27th. Jack will leave for the States on March 29th. On March 30th I will fly to Biarritz and make my way to SJPDD. (I arrive in Biarritz at 15:55 on March 30th 2013 and would love to share a taxi with anyone on a similar itinerary). My walk starts on Easter Sunday and ends when it ends. I have a ticket back to the States on April 30th but will walk longer if the situation calls for it. The Camino will decide. Many thanks to this forum for its words of encouragement, information and dedication to the Camino.

Buen Camino

Pep

Hi My name is Ros and my husband Pat and I set out in September 2012 intending to walk from SJPdeP to Santiago. We carried our own gear and after a few days decided that booking ahead gave us more time to enjoy each day without worrying if we would get a bed. The Camino was very busy and having a reservation gave us great peace of mind. Unfortunately for me, carrying my own pack caused major knee problems and even reducing it to about 7kg didn't solve the problem. The best efforts of David the wonderful physio in Leon simply wasn't enough so we accepted the inevitable and went home to lick the wounds! Within 2 weeks spent resting the knees and doing lots of non weight bearing exercise in the pool (no medication), I was back to normal. We have now booked our flights to return on May 8th and intend retracing our steps a little, setting out from Burgos and hopefully going all the ways to Santiago and beyond to Finisterre and Muxia. Hopefully we will meet some of you along the Way. Please be kind to those of us who for a variety of reasons choose to have our bags transported and indeed to book accommodation. This is OUR CAMINO! We did notice a rather worrying hierarchy last year - top of the pyramid seemed to be pilgrims who ran all the way between albergues to secure their beds - and they managed to carry their own packs while doing so. Next down were those who got their gear transported and stayed in the albergues or who carried their own and went for the private abergues. Further down the line seemed to be those who, as plan in May, used transport and booked the private albergues. The unmentionables were those only doing a portion of the Way, some of whom carried their own so rated slightly higher than those who didn't!
When I sit down of an evening to chat to fellow pilgrims, I hope I won't discriminate between those who did any of the above and those who didn't! In this hierarchy I havn't even mentioned the cyclists! God Bless them - the only thing I would ask of them is that they PLEASE use thier bells. When one is walking, lost in thought, it is incredibly easy not to be aware of anything coming along behind one. For the safety of both the cyclist and walker using that bell is important. We are so looking forward to May 9th when we leave Burgos. I'm so grateful that I'm getting another chance and keeping the fingers crossed that we make it this time! We are both retired and are already getting in some miles every day and this time I'm not factoring in any additional weight. I can tell you water, the wet gear and lunch will be the total in my daypack! Buen Camino to all in the Class of 2013!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Greetings from Rome everyone,

After having thought about the camino for over a decade, the flight is booked and I hope to be on my first camino starting from Roncesvalles on 1 March.

This forum has been tremendously great in preparing for this adventure with all the wisdom and tips and tricks shared, and I look forward to becoming part of the class of 2013!

Thanks!

Hi! My name is Gina (from Chicago) and I will be doing the camino with my friend, Caroline, beginning June 5th or 6th beginning in SJPP. Anyone else going at that time?

Hello! My name is Lynda from Colorado Springs, Colorado and I will be on my first Camino walk Sept 2013 starting in SJPP! I'm so excited about meeting ya'll and getting to go on this adventure! My husband and I are semi-retired and soon-to-be empty-nesters. When we start our Camino depends on when we can drop off our daughter at University.
We will probably fly into Paris and catch a train to Bayonne. Any suggestions for Hotels in Bayonne?
We are in our fifties and have done some hiking in mountains here in Colorado but are concerned about the first day from SJPP to Rouncevielles. Any advice?
Lynda

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
ReallyGina said:
Hi! My name is Gina (from Chicago) and I will be doing the camino with my friend, Caroline, beginning June 5th or 6th beginning in SJPP. Anyone else going at that time?

Gina, go to the bottom of this page and click on 'Camino de Santiago calendar', scroll through and you'll be able to see which other forum members are planning on starting around your dates.

Buen Camino

Seamus

Hey everyone,

I just purchased my tickets, so I thought it was time to introduce myself here. I'm Tom, a 21-year-old writer and journalist from The Netherlands. I'll obtain my bachelor's degree in Journalism in June and will fly to Biarritz and travel to SJPdP on July 8th, to start walking the Camino Francés the next day. I'll only make a reservation for a bed at L'Esprit du Chemin and the auberge in Orisson and take things as they come from there on. So, lots of improvisation, but I trust that'll all work out on the way to Santiago. I'll make sure I'm well-prepared! Very much looking forward to encounter inspiring people and unique experiences.

Buen Camino,

Tom

Reading through some of the entries here I see that so many of us hope to do the camino in September. My husband and I have never undertaken such a mammoth task but are really looking forward to it. With one difference - we intent to cycle from the middle of the UK all the way to Santiago taking in the route from St John pied de port. We are both retired so time is no longer an issue. I am 65, he will be 72, and it is encouraging to see that so many 'older' people are planning to do the camino! We will get the badges and hail anybody who also sports one - Bien camino!

Snacks on the Camino... Just curious about the availability of certain snacks. In reading posts, it seems fruit is readily available but the typical breakfast is toast and coffee...not sure about you all but I need protein with my coffee when I am walking so wondering about the availability of yogurt at grocery stores/markets. Is it best to get this in the evening?

Also curious about the availability of various nuts like almonds, cashews, peanuts etc. Are those available or is it rare to find them?

Thx!

You'll find everything you want...it's Europe, not a third world country.

Fishern1 said:
Snacks on the Camino... Just curious about the availability of certain snacks. In reading posts, it seems fruit is readily available but the typical breakfast is toast and coffee...not sure about you all but I need protein with my coffee when I am walking so wondering about the availability of yogurt at grocery stores/markets. Is it best to get this in the evening?

Also curious about the availability of various nuts like almonds, cashews, peanuts etc. Are those available or is it rare to find them?

Thx!
Yep, yoghurt and bananas etc are a typical breakfast even in basic albergues or bars. Some villages will have very small shops (or none at all) so you may not get exactly what you want in terms of dried fruits and nuts etc. but you'll get something. You'll find your own balance between carrying extra weight from a major town/supermarket and just taking what you can find in the villages.

Try sunflower seeds for a real Spanish experience, and leave all the shells under a bench to 'mark your turf'. :D (Only joking - it's increasingly viewed as litter!) They're usually a bit salty so not great while walking, but for an evening nibble once hydrated and waiting for the restaurant to open they're good.

Buen Camino!

Thank you!!

I realize its not a third world country :) Was just curious of the availability of certain things and thought I would ask the pros.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Stuart79 said:
Hi Everyone

I'm Stu from London and I can't wait until I start from SJPP on march 15th. My first camino do I'm very nervous.

Stu
You'll have the time of your life Stu! Getting there from London is easy, and you'll meet other pilgrims straight away, possibly even at the airport bus stop! After that just take your time and travel light. Everyone will be learning the ropes together. Buen Camino! :D

Hi All.... I am Greg for MIchigan, USA and have learned so much here that I would like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this wonderful forum, especially Ivar and the "regulars' who love the camino as I do. You know who you are! Rebecca, I met your husband in Moratinos on my first walk in 2009. We took a photo of him and his American dog! Now I am excited about my first visit to France and will walk from Le Puy starting March 6th. Hoping for an early spring. Also, thanks to AnnieSantiago for all of your help with info on VdlP and Falcon for so much useful info. Buen Camino to All!

Proud to be part of the Class of 2013.

I just bought the plane tickets. My Sept-Oct Camino is the Real Deal now! It's no longer just talk and a dream. I'm taking an unusual way to get to the trail head at St. Jean. I fly from Cincinnati to Paris and from Paris fly to Toulouse where I'll stay a night or two to visit the sights including the tomb of St. Thomas Aquinas. From Toulouse I''ll take the train to Bordeaux, then Bayonne, and then to St. Jean.

I plan to start hiking Sunday, Sept. 8 in honor of the first Mass celebrated in North America at St. Augustine, FL. http://www.missionandshrine.org

Maybe I'll see some of y'all.

Mike

Hello, Fellow Pilgrims. We (Mike and Gini) are taking the Camino starting April 16 - tickets and most gear ready and we wait impatiently. We'll enter the Camino at Pamplona. Just look for the 2 oldest pilgrims and it will be us. Mike is 75 and I a youthful 72! Remember, it is neither a forced march nor a marathon and it will take as long as it takes!

Welcome Mike and Gini..
You will not actually be the oldest pilgrims on the camino.
There are many your age on the forum and walking the Camino.
Take it easy and it will be a great adventure.

Yep, yoghurt and bananas etc are a typical breakfast even in basic albergues or bars. Some villages will have very small shops (or none at all) so you may not get exactly what you want in terms of dried fruits and nuts etc. but you'll get something. You'll find your own balance between carrying extra weight from a major town/supermarket and just taking what you can find in the villages.

Try sunflower seeds for a real Spanish experience, and leave all the shells under a bench to 'mark your turf'. :D (Only joking - it's increasingly viewed as litter!) They're usually a bit salty so not great while walking, but for an evening nibble once hydrated and waiting for the restaurant to open they're good.

Buen Camino!

I don't like bananas. Do any of y'all eat beef jerky while doing the Camino? Will I be able to buy it along the way or should I bring my own? I need meat.

Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola! I'm brand new to the forum but not to planning for this experience. Intending to fly from US to Lisbon in late August or early Sept and walk from Oporto to Santiago. And I may just keep on walking. Anyone walked it from Santiago north east? Still researching clothes, weather, boots, of course and backpacks. Last time I did a walkabout was 20 years ago....without the internet. Grateful for this forum. I'm single, 62, live on the side of mountain in western NC, author of recently published book on small garden systems that can reduce malnutrition and hunger. Longing to start this walk...welcome suggestions from other peregrinos who have taken this route. Want to travel by the sea route.

Hola, I am John from Western NY, USA. Planning my first Camino in April. Due to time problems only have two weeks. Planning the start at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-port and then busing inbetween some cities and finally finish from Sarria. My wife and a friend will finish with me. Any suggestions for walking in the middle would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum mike & gini,I love your philosophy on your journey time, your starting a month before but I do wish you all the best in your journey, although this is my first camino the advise given to me was take easy at the start and listen to your body and rest when needed, but like you have said you will get there as and when so all I have to say is

Buen Camino

Trevor

flmike said:
I don't like bananas. Do any of y'all eat beef jerky while doing the Camino? Will I be able to buy it along the way or should I bring my own? I need meat.
As a European I have no idea what 'beef jerky' is, so I suspect you'll have to bring your own. Do enjoy all the Spanish hams and sausages though. You will not be short of meat! :D

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.