• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Most bars sell pinchos of tortilla (potato omelette) and that plus a cafe con leche grande make a decent protein filled breakfast.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
bemus13 said:
Hola, I am John from Western NY, USA. Planning my first Camino in April. Due to time problems only have two weeks. Planning the start at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-port and then busing inbetween some cities and finally finish from Sarria. My wife and a friend will finish with me. Any suggestions for walking in the middle would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Bemus.

I've been toying with this question today and have not come up with a satisfactory answer.

Most people who like the scenery and are on a limited timescale skip the middle to make up the time because it's relatively flat and some people think dull (although I love it!), but you're asking specifically about walking the middle part.

To be honest I think if you want to walk the first few days, and the middle, and the last part from Sarria it might be too much in 2 weeks. You could find yourself losing the best part of a day waiting for buses here and there.

Personally in 2 weeks I'd limit your trip to a maximum of 2 stages. (One is ideal because you can stay with the friends you've made.) To see the Meseta in the middle of the Camino you could walk out from Burgos to Sahagun (5/6 days) then bus/train it to Ponferrada or somewhere nearby to do the last part. Burgos, Leon etc are easy to reach from Madrid if that's where you're arriving.

Sillydoll will have better advice! Buen Camino! :D

tyrrek said:
flmike said:
I don't like bananas. Do any of y'all eat beef jerky while doing the Camino? Will I be able to buy it along the way or should I bring my own? I need meat.
As a European I have no idea what 'beef jerky' is, so I suspect you'll have to bring your own. Do enjoy all the Spanish hams and sausages though. You will not be short of meat! :D

Buen Camino!

Those hams and sausages sound great! I assume there is plenty of hard cheese to buy too. Some posters mention the fantastic olives for sale. I need protein and carbs for breakfast. I'm mildly hypoglycemic.

Beef jerky is thinly sliced beef that has been dried to the point of being tough and chewy. This source of protein is lightweight and doesn't need refrigeration. It keeps quite awhile. Other meats can be "jerked" too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
flmike said:
Those hams and sausages sound great! I assume there is plenty of hard cheese to buy too. Some posters mention the fantastic olives for sale. I need protein and carbs for breakfast. I'm mildly hypoglycemic.

Beef jerky is thinly sliced beef that has been dried to the point of being tough and chewy. This source of protein is lightweight and doesn't need refrigeration. It keeps quite awhile. Other meats can be "jerked" too.
Ah hah! I am informed. You'll like the Spanish ham then, which is cured and chewy rather than the typical 'wet' ham we get in the UK. It should also last well. Typically you can also get toast etc for breakfast.

Sometimes you get olives free with a drink in a bar, but if you want to buy them small cans are available in any grocery store. I love them.

Cheese is also plentiful. Enjoy it all. Hardly a McDonalds to be seen directly on the route anywhere. Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
Hardly a McDonalds to be seen directly on the route anywhere. Buen Camino!
Dear Santiago, do not let the Camino's pilgrims fall in temptation and keep them delivered from such evil. :lol:

fraluchi said:
tyrrek said:
Dear Santiago, do not let the Camino's pilgrims fall in temptation and keep them delivered from such evil. :lol:
Ha ha! The reason I know there isn't one directly on the route is because I'd have been first through the door. I think there is one alarmingly close to the Camino Ingles at one point, but you're diverted away from it. Buen Camino! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
tyrrek said:
fraluchi said:
tyrrek said:
Ha ha! The reason I know there isn't one directly on the route is because I'd have been first through the door. I think there is one alarmingly close to the Camino Ingles at one point, but you're diverted away from it. Buen Camino! :D

Hola!
I actually saw a McDonald's right past the blue pilgrim bridge over the highway on the way into Leon. It's on the right hand side. :). Being a vegetarian, I didn't bother to stop by :))
Buen Camino!
Bozzie

fraluchi said:
tyrrek said:

Have to confess that I quite enjoyed my visit to Burger King on my 1st night in Santiago after finishing

:oops:

C clearly said:
My tentative plan is to start in St. Jean in mid-October 2013 and allow 6 weeks to get to Santiago. That means an average of 20 km/day. I am prepared to change plans in case of injury, exhaustion or terrible weather. I will go officially "alone" this time as I am looking forward to the social-solitude that the Camino provides so well. That said, I hope to meet up with other walking companions for portions of the journey, especially through some of the mountainous stretches.

Hi, C clearly!
I started from Saint Jean PdP in may 2009 for my first Camino and i met there a very good Pilgrims Office where you can get your "Credencial" along with a free leaflet, usually well up-to-date, listing all the sleeping opportunities the pilgrims have on their way to Santiago along the Camino Francès, using their "Credencial" to be allowed in.

The leaflet enlists all the main facilities you meet in any "albergue" and the services you can find in each of the places where an "albergue" is settled; it also tells you the opening period of each albergue during the year: some of them are open all year round, some others close in winter period.

Having already walked from Astorga to Santiago you already tested your abilities along hard stages in the mountains like the one taking to "O Cebreiro": you'll find some other of those hard stages even in the first half of your next Camino, but if you can walk the Cebreiro you can definitely do them! :)
Just take care to start your way trained enough, as the first stage from St. Jean PdP to Roncesvalles is a rather hard start!
You can eventually make it easier by taking the "low" itinerary, partly going along the road to Valcarlos (but i could advice this itineray just if the weather it's too bad to walk the wonderful uphill path); another way to make the first stage easier it to "break it up" in two parts, sleeping the first night in the refuge in Orisson, but usually you have to reserve a place there in advance!

Something i learned from some good hikers i met during my first Caminos (but i didn't know before): when it's slightly rainy and the wind doesn't blow hard, a little lightweight collapsing umbrella can be very useful!
You can get protected from the rain without wearing waterproof ponchos/jackets, therefore without getting wet from your own sweat that condensates between the body and the waterproof surface!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,
My name is Catherine and I am planning my trip from SJPP to Santiago from June 23 - August 3.
I am 47 years old and teach 8th grade. I am originally from California, yet now live in Maine.
I am wondering if anyone can help me with two questions....I am looking for the best way to get from Frankfurt, Germany to SJPP, then the best way to get from Santiago back to states without paying an arm and a leg! I am not sure if taking a train/bus from Santiago to Bilbao is the best route.
Any suggestions???
Looking forward to this remarkable adventure!

Hi. My girlfriend and I arrive in Madrid on April 15. From there we will make our way to SJPdP to start our Camino.

Linda and I live in Tucson, Az. So we hike a lot as Tucson (for those who believe it looks like the Sahara here) is a high desert surrounded by island mountains that are go up to over 9,000 feet into the pines and are currently snow capped.

Unfortunately because of our ages (65) I'm starting to have a few medical issues (e.g. tendinitis and arthritis in left ankle and foot). However, we are still training and we will do the Camino. :D

Hi-
My name is Kristy and I'm from San Francisco. In April around the 18th I will start from SJPP on the journey to Santiago. Taking it slow and steady is my plan and I hope to finish in a month. I hope to see you along the way!
Buen Camino!
Kristy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My name is Marisa and I'm from SC. So excited to leave for my first camino in April 2013
I'd like to leave from SJPP, but will start from Roncavelle if the weather is bad that day.

Hi Marisa,
I'm planning on leaving from SJPP on April 18th. Hope to see you along the way!
Kristy from San Francisco

Two weeks from today my friend Laura and I will be boarding a plane here in Montana to Barcelona to start our Camino from Pamplona on March 7. Excitement vs Anxiety is the name of my daily game right about now, but my nerves get calmed every time I read the great advice and reassurances on this forum. Thanks to all for taking the time to help us newbies along!!
If you see 2 mid-40ish gals in big red ponchos on the trail, give us a holler...can't wait to meet our fellow pilgrims!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
bfletcher67 said:
Two weeks from today my friend Laura and I will be boarding a plane here in Montana to Barcelona to start our Camino from Pamplona on March 7. Excitement vs Anxiety is the name of my daily game right about now, but my nerves get calmed every time I read the great advice and reassurances on this forum. Thanks to all for taking the time to help us newbies along!!
If you see 2 mid-40ish gals in big red ponchos on the trail, give us a holler...can't wait to meet our fellow pilgrims!

Hello,

The two of you must be SO very excited as the time draws near for your departures !

In the joy of starting try to remember that just because so many pilgrims have been successful it is not guaranteed that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be snails; slow but, determined. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred. Each day consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

On a happier note consider what Sir Walter Raleigh wrote in the 16th century in His Pilgrimage

"GIVE me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
My bottle of salvation,
My gown of glory, hope's true guage;
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage...."

Those matching red ponchos will be your gowns of glory!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Oh, Margaret, thank you so much for those words of wisdom. Laura and I have known each other since our babies were born and have been fast friends ever since. We are perfectly suited to walk the Camino together, both in temperament and intention. That being said, we have had a serious discussion about how to approach this experience...coming to the mutual understanding that it is a journey, not a destination. No set agendas, expectations, or preconceived notions of how it's supposed to go. Just day by day, listening to and honoring our bodies and spirits. Hopefully, it will all be AOK!

Blessings,
Brigitte

(Couldn't tell if this was successfully PM'ed to you, so posted again here)

Hola Brigitte,
There is a thread that Terry started about walking with a companion which you might like to read. You might later have more to add too. Have a great time and
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am Rob and I will be walking the Camino with my two teens, Emma=13 and Theo=15, and Wife Feige. Feige is the step-mother of my two kids. I am an American expat and have been living in Beijing, China for almost 10 years now. My Kids live in Sacramento, California with their mother, so being able to spend this special time with my kids on the Camino will be really cool. :D

I will be flying to Madrid from the U.S. with the kids arriving on June 26, 2013. My wife will be flying to Madrid on the same day. This is the first camino for all of us. We hope to start the Camino Frances from SJPP on June 27. We are hoping to finish the Camino around July 25. We are hoping to not spend a fortune on the camino and are interested in how other families have economized while on the Camino.

Csally: don't know if there is an inexpensive way home. I plan to visit Coruna after Fisterra then train to Paris and back to Texas. I love it that you are a teacher and doing this. May I suggest you turn this into a lesson for current students and the 7th graders you will have next year. Perhaps a blog. I have given my grand daughter a map of Spain so she can follow my progress. What a great presentation to parents and students for your new school year open house.
There are tons of advice on this site. Hope it helps you! Semper fi.

Hi I am Joanna, and I plan to start my camino with my dad in mid september.

I will be doing it as far as Longrono this year but dad may carry on to Santiago. I aim to arrive in Santiago then travel onto Fisterra for my 50th birthday in 9 years time - doing a little every year.

Aiming also to collect a stone or pebble at every mile for a piece of Art work to be created at the very end to bring a series of work also entitled camino to an end!

We were meant to have gone to the confraternity day today but I was unwell so didnt make it. HAs anyone been to it ?
I have to get my fitness levels up over the next few months. I bought my boots this week, next stop will be the rucksack!

Any words of advice welcomed!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Joanna and welcome.
There are many posts about equipment here. Rucksacs, waterproofs, what to take ( and not) with as many opinions sometimes as there are posts. :)
If you search around the Equipment threads they will be very helpful and you can post any questions they raise there too.
Sometimes it helps to say where in the world you are living as it can make a big difference to the answers re equipment available, or where to get it.
Enjoy reading and searching and asking..
Training and fitness. Many of us have been there and done that, and still doing the training for next time too.....
Buen Camino

My sister and I will be hiking the Camino Frances starting May 17th in SJPP. We are coming from Washington State. Will there be anyone out there around that time? Also, I seem to see a lot about breakfast and dinner options. What is a common option for lunch, should we plan with food before we start in the am, or is it easy to find food along the way?

You can see other person's schedules by going to the Camino de Santiago Calendar, linked below.

Most days there is an opportunity for lunch, either a full meal, a sandwich, or a combination platter. Some days you will need something in your pack to eat. The advantage of food in your pack is that you can eat when and where you want.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, my name is Tony, I'm 63 and retired. I live in Sparks Nevada which is close to Reno on the eastern slopes of the Sierras. I'm trekking the English route this May (have plane ticket in hand). This trip is a tune up for doing the French route in 2014. The French route is my Mount Everest or according to my wife "great white whale". :p

P.S. Hello class of 2014

Hi my name is Sue from Tasmania down under, down under Australia. I had the incredible pleasure of doing my first Camino Frances from St JPdP to Santiago in Sept/Oct in 2011 with 2 dear friends, and now have the great pleasure and anticipation of having booked my next ticket to head back for more! This years plan is with one of the friends i did it with last time - and we thought we'd start in Le Puy in France in Sept and head to St JPdP. We met quite a few people who had started at Le Puy on our initial trip - and were enchanted by their stories! So exciting to finally be going back, tho the initial Camino still lives with me each day!

Hi Everyone. My name is Alex, am a 54 year old Australian photographer from Canberra, and will be starting my first Camino from SJDPP in early October 2013. I will be walking alone but look forward to making friends along the way (and taking their photos!).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Southhobartian: Thank you for sharing your photo memories of the Camino. A wonderful presentation. It is so good I may not have to bring my camera! pablo1775

Hi - Ned Spencer here from Cheshire, England. I'm planning to do Camino in May. Anyone have any info on flights from Manchester to Bayonne please? Thanks. Ned.

Hi. my name is Elizabeth, from Australia. I am planning on walking the camino from late-May or the beginning of June, 2013. This forum will be a huge help in my planning. I am looking forward to the inward journey and meeting kindred souls on the way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
nedspencer said:
Hi - Ned Spencer here from Cheshire, England. I'm planning to do Camino in May. Anyone have any info on flights from Manchester to Bayonne please? Thanks. Ned.
Hi Ned! I think the only direct flight to Biarritz/Bayonne from the UK is Ryanair from Stansted. That leaves around lunchtime, so it's an early start to get there from the north on the same day. An alternative might be to get a flight to Paris and then get the train/Easyjet from there. If you have to stay in Stansted the night before the Travelodge in Bishops Stortford is usually quite good value. Buen Camino!

Hi,

I am an Australian leaving Dubai (UAE) in May to travel the world starting with doing the Camino Frances.

I am so excited to be starting my 12 months traveling with such a soul searching journey.

Love Robyn x

Setting off 18th MAY 2013! Ive got 35 days in which to complete it. I might do a shorter one before then though as a confidence builder. :D[/quote]

Setting the date definitely makes it real...heading off on 22nd March ... will be back before you head off so can let you know how I survived :)

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am also setting off on April 20th and am staying at Orisson on the 1st night. I have already booked at Orrison via Email on their website. They got back to me within 48hrs and I paid by paypal .
See you there!

My name is Ruth, and I plan to begin my Camino Frances on the 8/9th of December from SJPDP, although I have also toyed with starting at Roncevalles. It will probably depend on whether I can get better airfare to Paris or Madrid. I'd go earlier, but my job won't let me have the time off unless I sandwich my vacation around our time off at Christmas, which usually starts the Friday before and ends on the 2nd of January.

This is my first Camino, and I have lived in Western Texas/Southern New Mexico all of my life, so I'm a little worried that I won't pack warm enough clothing....I have no idea how to kit up for cold weather! With that in mind, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to layer, layer, layer so that I can avoid both over heating and freezing half to death. I have been running and hiking since last June/July, and just finished my first half-marathon. I'm planning to run a full Marathon in October, as well as do some 2-3 day hikes when it gets colder using my gear. I'm still in the process of getting gear, though, so that will have to wait until I have my full kit.

I would love to know of anyone else that is planning their Camino in December, so please PM me.

Blessings,

According to the Calendar listings, you are the only one in December! There may be more as the time gets closer, and there may be some undeclared intentions.

Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello... My name is Matt... I will be walking my first Camino this May, can't wait. I will be walking the Camino Portuguese leaving out of Porto on May 10... :D

Hello, All,

My wife Mindy and I are planning to start around May 8th. Right before that, we'll go to London to visit our daughter. Hope to meet many of you on the Camino and wish you all Buen Camino.

I have a question and a comment.

What is the most economical way to get from London to Bayonne?

My comment is that we have gotten a lot of advice from the local branch of the APOTC (American Pilgrims on the Camino). I believe many countries have such organizations and I recommend them to you. This is not meant to demean the excellent help we get from this website. Sometimes though, it helps to visit Camino-istas and see the spark in their eyes when they speak of the Camino.

John

Matt Frazao said:
Hello... My name is Matt... I will be walking my first Camino this May, can't wait. I will be walking the Camino Portuguese leaving out of Porto on May 10... :D
Hi Matt!
The Camino Portuguese is a beautiful walk. I walked Porto to SdC in April 2011 - you can see my diary [in Word format] and links to all 600 photos on my web site. This year I am walking the first half of the same camino - from Lisbon to Porto - starting May 20th to try to avoid the rainy season!

Buen camino!

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lilburn Pilgrims said:
What is the most economical way to get from London to Bayonne?
Hi John.

Ryanair from London Stansted to Biarritz/Bayonne airport. Book well in advance for the best deals. The coach from London to the airport (I assume there's one from Victoria Bus Station) is probably a bit cheaper than the train. Buen Camino!

John.
The coach leaves from Buckingham Palace Road, you obtain tickets from inside the shopping precinct (easy to find desk in cafe on left as you enter from BP road).
I fly Ryanair Stanstead- Biarritz 12:15 on Thursday 9th May. It gets there at 15:05.
I have a taxi with Burricott Express leaving the airport to SJPdP at 16:00. It takes a hour. Room for you if you want to share PM me.
allan

Hey all :)

Starting my first camino solo on either May 23 or 24, 2013 and walking the entire Camino Frances. Thankful for this forum and all the helpful info within :mrgreen:

Happy travels and maybe our paths will cross along the camino....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
burn001down said:
Hey all :)

Starting my first camino solo on either May 23 or 24, 2013 and walking the entire Camino Frances. Thankful for this forum and all the helpful info within :mrgreen:

Happy travels and maybe our paths will cross along the camino....

Hi Jeremy, I'll be arriving in St Jean on the 22nd and gliding up the Route Napoleon on the 23rd so may get to see you. Check the Camino calendar at the bottom if the page and you'll be able to see which other forum members are leaving around the same time as you.

Buen Camino

Seamus

Hi
we (Jason and Tracey) will start our Camino from St Jean on 6 May. We will spend a few days in Biarritz beforehand to get over jetlag (a lesson learned the hard way last time) and to acclimatise as we have been living in the tropics. We will fly from Melbourne to London and then to Biarritz with Ryanair. I hope that Ryanair isn't as bad as often reported in social media - but after flying Air Niugini for over a year, I think my expectations/standards are sufficiently flexible :D

My Mum is going to join us in Sarria from 22 June (so we will probably have a 1-2 week break as we wait for her).

We look forward to crossing paths with whoever is walking at the same time.

Tracey

€46,-
jastrace; I'm spending night of 5 May at Orisson. You will probably pass me after a day or two.
See you on the trail!

Hi Jeremy!

I'm starting a wee but before you on May 17 from St Jean but plan to take my time, so maybe our paths will cross! This is my first Camino--I am beyond excited!

Janet

Hey,

I'm Adam (31) from Northumberland (England) and will begin the Camino Frances in early April.

Two weeks ago this thought came into my head to walk the Camino (I met a couple of others who've walked it last year but I didn't really have a clue what it was about and wasn't really interested in it!). For the past fortnight I've been looking on here (brilliant forum!) and other websites, just got the John Brierley guidebook and the more I read the more amazing it sounds!

I'm going back to the French Pyrenees (where I've Helpxed the past 2 years) on 14th March then plan to start the walk on 1st April, although with Easter I might leave on Easter Sunday. Does St Jean generally get really busy on Easter weekend?

I'm also hoping to spend around ÂŁ600 on walking the Camino (over 30-40 days) and hope this will be enough so that I can actually enjoy meals without just eating bread and rice all day......and have wine/beer! Any thoughts on this??

I've been training like mad the past 2 weeks, walking nearly everyday for at least an hour and walked 26km yesterday......I can hardly walk today! :)

Anyway, I'll no doubt be asking advice on various questions that I'll have and might meet some on you on the Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all - Ned Spencer here again. Booked flight from Stansted to Biarritz on Monday May 6th. So nothing can stop me now! See you soon!! Ned

My wife Gini and I will be going in Apr/May/Jun time period and hope to meet many of you on the way. We are first timers and have been doing some hiking in the mountains of NC where we live. We hope to take it easy and enjoy the hike. We enjoy reading the comments of those who have preceeded us and learning from them. Buen Camino.

One of my senior Calculus students and soccer players, Sasha, is hiking part of the Camino as part of an independent study related to the role of pilgrimages in numerous belief systems, and to help her continue on her own spiritual development journey. She came up with the idea while doing some soul-searching here at our Episcopalian boarding high school in southern Virginia in the US.

Sasha, her mother, and I (her teacher and independent study sponsor) will be hiking from Ponferrada to Santiago from March 19-29. We're a bit rushed with late planning, but we're all in good shape and just need to tie some loose ends together. The flights to Madrid are booked, so we're committed!

If any of you are along the route and would like to offer your thoughts, or want to contribute to Sasha's educational experience related to the Camino, please let me know! Sasha is developing some specific questions for her study, and I know she would love some additional input.

Happy trails,
Ken

€46,-
Hello, I am Pete from Minnersota, USA and I am "IN" for my first trek this year!
Planning on a September 2013 SJPdP to Santiago hike. I am retired and am a avid hiker/biker. Looking forward to the hike, meditative experience and the adventure. This forum is invaluable for all the tips and testimonials. Starting to train already, identifying the packing list and planning on learning a a bit of Spanish.

Hey!
Im Theo, walking the trail for the first time with my father Yodapsy this summer.
Im really excited and nervous for what to expect this hopefully incredible journey.

Hey Theo, glad you joined. You can find lots of information about our upcoming Camino here.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, my friend (MANU) and I (OLIVIER), will be on the camino del norte in july and august... we started our camino, in 2010, at le Mont Saint Michel and, year after year we have walked down to the south, with the ocean by our side... we'll be in Hendaye, for the last start, we hope, the 14th of july... so we still think of it!

Hi, my name is Damien and I will start walking the Camino with my older brother Robert on 10th April for one week. I walked for one week last year to Legerono, though will be starting at SJPP again so that my brother and I can walk together, and hopefully come back every year until we finish.
After my experience last year I look forward to meeting new people and sharing the experience.
Buen Camino!

mikehalus said:
My wife Gini and I will be going in Apr/May/Jun time period and hope to meet many of you on the way. We are first timers and have been doing some hiking in the mountains of NC where we live. We hope to take it easy and enjoy the hike. We enjoy reading the comments of those who have preceeded us and learning from them. Buen Camino.

Hi mikehalus: My husband, Ron, and I are leaving from Roncevalles on April 8, 2013. This is our first camino as well! We are so excited!! Perhaps we will meet you and Gina along the way!! Wishing you many blessings on your journey and Buen Camino!! :D

Hi all! My step-mother ordered and received our credentials! Very cool to see it all start to come together. Tomorrow we are planning to buy our plane tickets (Tuesday is supposed to be a day when fares are the lowest). Still planning to fly into Madrid landing on Saturday, June 1st. Think we will bus to Leon based on the forum feedback and ease of purchasing tickets versus the train. I can't believe it is 3 months away.

Howdo! Browsing the forum in preparation for our Camino. What a wealth of information!
My wife and I will start on July 14 from Ibaneta (really couldn't imagine hiking the mountain on our first day) and hope to walk it in 34 days. I walked part of the meseta a couple of years ago (retired through tendonitis) and have been wanting to come back to walk a longer way, hopefully all the way. We'll be coming from Hong Kong (I'm English and my wife is a Filipina).

We have arranged with Caroline from Express Bourricot for transport from Biarritz Airport at 8.30 on Sunday July 14 to SJPDP with a few hours to explore and eat and then on to Roncesvalles at 2. Great deal and price and really fast response from her!

NoQ said:
Howdo! Browsing the forum in preparation for our Camino. What a wealth of information!
My wife and I will start on July 14 from Ibaneta (really couldn't imagine hiking the mountain on our first day) and hope to walk it in 34 days. I walked part of the meseta a couple of years ago (retired through tendonitis) and have been wanting to come back to walk a longer way, hopefully all the way. We'll be coming from Hong Kong (I'm English and my wife is a Filipina).

We have arranged with Caroline from Express Bourricot for transport from Biarritz Airport at 8.30 on Sunday July 14 to SJPDP with a few hours to explore and eat and then on to Roncesvalles at 2. Great deal and price and really fast response from her!
Hi NoQ! You're not my old friend Simon, are you? Buen Camino!

We're a bit older. We arrive in Pamplona on May 1 and will enter El Camino at SJPP shortly after that. While we are on the Way I'll celebrate my 78th birthday and my wife her 77th. Bien Camino.
"Indiana John"

JGarrett said:
We're a bit older. We arrive in Pamplona on May 1 and will enter El Camino at SJPP shortly after that. While we are on the Way I'll celebrate my 78th birthday and my wife her 77th. Bien Camino.
"Indiana John"

I admire you for keeping active, I only hope that I too can make similar plans in my golden years. Health and travel insurance permitting.

Bien Camino

tyrrek said:
NoQ said:

Hi NoQ! You're not my old friend Simon, are you? Buen Camino!

Howdo Keith! Just been reading more of the forum and noticed your words of wisdom everywhere. Are you undertaking a Camino this year?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ffp13 said:
JGarrett said:
"Indiana John"

I am planning to depart SJPD on May 5 to Orisson.
I will celebrate my 76th.
Hope to see you on the trail!
Semper fi. Pablo1775

Pablo, my Camino is later in may/ start June, it is unlikely that we will cross paths, I hope that your birthday is special, and you Camino is without hardships that could spoil your plans.

in 2011 I walked with a Spanish couple from Sydney he was walking the Camino for his 80th birthday, and they managed to maintain a daily pace that most pilgrims half their age were achieving. I remember them very well he had a large umbrella in his pack, I initially thought this was an odd item, but it was smart, kept him and hhis pack dry, and in the heat it provided shade, whilst the rest of us looked forward to the next crop of trees to provide temp relief from the sun.

Hi folks- I'm Craig and I'll be starting out from SJPDP on Sat 16th March.

Been feeling a bit daunted the closer the date comes but reading these pages is reassuring- somewhat.

Looking forward to meeting up with fellow travellers along the way. It's a long old walk!!

Hola!

I am Katie, currently living in Andalucia (in the mountains outside of Granada) but I originally hail from Portland, Oregon. My husband,12yo daughter and I are looking at doing just a quick week or so in late June/early July. We live in an area that many people come to hike and walk, which we do often. It is exciting to plan for exploring 'up north' for us as most of our time in Spain has been in the south. Work commitments keep us from doing the full Camino at this time but we do aim to do enough to get a certificate. After we do our short camino we will be doing a bit of a camping road trip down through Portugal, over to Tarifa and back towards home.

It is my hope that we can return to do more, possibly in the late summer early fall or possibly do a full camino beginning next spring.

Just wanted to say thank you for the wealth of information freely shared on this forum, and for the warmth and humor as well.
My backpack is almost packed; I'm on the plane tomorrow at 18:10. I'll be staying a few days at the monastery/hostel at La Ste. Baume in Provence, then heading for SJPP by train. If the pass is open, starting over the Rte. Napoleon on 15 March. If the weather's uncooperative, then Vacarlos, or even a start from Pamplona. Taking my time and may head back on the Primitivo after Muxia.
I've been a massage therapist for 28 years, and I know my hands won't know how to get along for two or three months without a back, or shoulders, or feet to work on, so if you see a brown-haired 59-year-old pilgrim with a little plaque with a hand, on the back of her pack, you're welcome to flag me down and keep me from getting out of practice.
Buen camino todos,
Annon

Start my Camino in 2 days, :D , Fly into Biaritz on Saturday afternoon with train to SJPP, hope to start walking Sunday depending on weather and walking conditions, may wait in SJPP if looks like clearing during the week. Would love to start Route de Napolean but am under no illusions if weather turns. Have nearly 7weeks to complete so hoping for a leaisurly pace to start with...Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tuesday may see temperatures drop, but until then it is rain at Roncesvalles:
Fecha
jue 07 vie 08 sáb 09 dom 10 lun 11 mar 12 mié 13
Hours: 12–18 18–24 0–6 6–12 12–18 18–24 0–12 12–24 0–12 12–24
Estado del cielo Nuboso con lluvia Nuboso con lluvia Cubierto con lluvia escasa Nuboso Nuboso con lluvia Muy nuboso con lluvia Nuboso con lluvia Intervalos nubosos con lluvia Nuboso con lluvia Nuboso con lluvia Nuboso con lluvia Cubierto con nieve Intervalos nubosos con nieve
Prob. precip. 95% 90% 65% 5% 65% 50% 55% 60% 55% 85% 95% 100% 95%
Cota nieve prov.(m) 2200 1900 1600 1900 1800 1500 1500 1400 1400 1200 200 0
Temp. mín./máx. (°C) 6 / 15 6 / 13 4 / 11 4 / 11 3 / 10 -3 / 3 -4 / 2
Remember that the Ibaneta pass is higher than Roncesvalles, so it will be colder. Even walking the Napolean, you can stay on road if you avoid the signs taking you off the road. You will need to turn right on D-128 when the marked route takes you left, down the slope to Roncesvalles. The road will take you toward Valcarlos, and is a couple of kilometers longer. However, the footing will be better in the rain/snow.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Iba%C3%B ... .78,,0,2.1

CLASS OF 2013 - We are checking in!!!

Hola Pelegrinos,
We are two sisters (Ive and Jannice) and our very brave and adventurous momma (Gladys). We should arrive in Madrid on 3/20/2013 and if IBERIA is not on strike that day we should be in Pamplona that same day. We plan to take a Taxi from Pamplona to SJPP, and will start our camino on 3/21/2013. Did I mention that that is 12 days from today? We are very excited and exhausted, and have not even started. Very much looking forward to the sweetness of being with our own thoughts in the vast Camino!
Who ever said that finding the time was the worst part, should try preparing for this journey in two months, and that includes the daunting task of searching for advise on this forum for every little thing, finding the perfect shoes for your feet, and the right backpack for your body frame, the high tech walking poles, oh' and order the 1000 mile socks from the UK and pray the will arrive on time for our departure, etc... :lol: Well, I think that we are as ready as we will ever be, and ready or not the journey has already begun!
I am looking forward to meeting some of you on "The Way", and pray that whatever your dates are you will have safe travels and a most memorable time.

Bendiciones y Buen Camino!
Ive from Utah, Jannice from Florida and Gladys from Puerto Rico

P.S. Any advise?

IveMar said:
CLASS OF 2013 - We are checking in!!!

We are two sisters (Ive and Jannice) and our very brave and adventurous momma (Gladys).
P.S. Any advise?

Keep the spirits up. The first couple of days will be the toughest, then attitude leads to success!
Napoleon said the moral is superior to the physical.
Best wishes!

Ha! Yes the class of 2013 is checking in. Stay safe, take advice, enjoy yourselves and each other, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. It will be great! Buen Camino! :D

We are good to go -- leaving Sunday night from Boston and taking a few days to travel to SJPP. Will start our camino from SJPP the morning of March 13th! We're very happy as we've raised close to $10,000 for Global Fund for Women and GirlVentures, two nonprofits that promote the well-being and equal rights of women around the world. We hike in honor of these two fine organizations.

The girls' father will start with us, then come and go as needed for business trips, etc. We plan to go all the way to Fisterra.

Hope to meet some of you along the Way!

Trish, Alex, and Sage
White Mountains of New Hampshire, USA

I begin my camino in 5.5 weeks. I'm walking only a portion but doing it as a celebration of my 50th birthday. I suspect it will be addicting and this will be the first of many journeys.
Lisa
Norman OK USA

lisac50 said:
I begin my camino in 5.5 weeks. Lisa
Norman OK USA
Weather will probably be a happy improvement for you! I'm departing SJPdP on May5.
Happy birthday on the trail! What a neat thing to recount when you get home. I trust this is a warm-up for the Appalatchian Trail? Best wishes for your success.

Madrid - SahagĂąn - Astorga

Well... i finally managed to get my holiday and plan my next Camino!

This year i'm going to start walking from Madrid in the morning of may, 9, along the Camino de Madrid!

As my holiday period is not long enough to get to Santiago, i hope i can walk at least the whole Camino de Madrid (i'm planning to stop one day in Segovia and maybe one more in Valladolid, in order to visit both cities), then connect with the "Camino Francès" in Moratinos or Sahagùn and walk again for 3 or 4 days more, getting to Astorga.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be celebrating my birthday on the Camino in May as well. I have booked first night's accommodation in StJdPP on 19th May, ordered my Forum badge, bought my hiking boots and backpack. I am so excited but now all I have to worry about is that I need to do a lot more walking between now and then to have a Buen Camino!

Office girl: Spirit is everything! Looks like a lot of folk are celebrating birthdays on the trail. Happy special day to you, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You will do fine. Small steps consistently taken is the trick! Best wishes for your success!

Officegirl: You are leaving SJPP the same day as me (hopefully, if I make the previous nine days walk on time from my home on the Via Podiensis) I too will just have had a May birthday and walking the Camino to celebrate it, amongst other reasons. Buen Camino, will look for your Forum badge.

€149,-
Office girl said:
I will be celebrating my birthday on the Camino in May as well. I have booked first night's accommodation in StJdPP on 19th May, ordered my Forum badge, bought my hiking boots and backpack. I am so excited but now all I have to worry about is that I need to do a lot more walking between now and then to have a Buen Camino!

I'll be 3 days behind you Office girl but if I manage to catch up I'll be glad to treat you to a birthday cerveza or two, have a great camino and may the sun be shining warmly on you on your birthday.

Seamus

Flights are booked :)
Leave Atlanta,GA on May 31st and arrive in Madrid on June 1st.
Woo hoo!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone,
My name is Ray and I am planing on a September Camino starting in Saint Jean. Probably around the 3-7 of Sept. I am 73 and not all that fit, but hopefully will be in good enough condition to do the trek. I will be coming from the US ( CA ) and traveling solo. I haven't booked any flights as yet, still researching on where to fly into. Hoping to meet up with some fellow pilgrims before, during and/or after. Wishing you all the best.

rebuck39 said:
Hello everyone,
My name is Ray and I am planing on a September Camino starting in Saint Jean. Probably around the 3-7 of Sept. I am 73 and not all that fit, but hopefully will be in good enough condition to do the trek. I will be coming from the US ( CA ) and traveling solo. I haven't booked any flights as yet, still researching on where to fly into. Hoping to meet up with some fellow pilgrims before, during and/or after. Wishing you all the best.[/quote

Hola, Ray!
I would suggest you stop for your first night at Orrison after leaving SJPP. (You'll need a reservation, btw. You can make them online.)Although it will seem a short first day, it is quite a climb. The next day is quite the climb, also, a night's stay in Roncevalles would be my suggestion. Also, try to walk as much as possible to train for your adventure. Try long stretches of hill climbing and not just flat land. You can make the walk, but it's always better to prepare. Take it one step at a time...it's not a race! make sure you have proper footwear and take care of your feet daily. You don't want the dreaded blisters!
Buen Camino!
Dee Anne

Fishern1 said:
Flights are booked :)
Leave Atlanta,GA on May 31st and arrive in Madrid on June 1st.
Woo hoo!!!

Looking forward to hearing about your Camino, Fishern1, especially arrangements to and from your starting point. My son, daughter and I are walking from Saria to Santiago in 2014. We reside near Gainesville, GA.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
rebuck39 said:
Hello everyone,
My name is Ray and I am planing on a September Camino starting in Saint Jean. Probably around the 3-7 of Sept. I am 73 and not all that fit, but hopefully will be in good enough condition to do the trek. I will be coming from the US ( CA ) and traveling solo. I haven't booked any flights as yet, still researching on where to fly into. Hoping to meet up with some fellow pilgrims before, during and/or after. Wishing you all the best.

Hi rebuck39,

Welcome to the Forum! You will find all kinds of good advice in these various topics. Feel free to ask lots of questions; we pilgrims enjoy sharing our tips and ideas with others.

Be sure to check out this special thread for pilgrims Over 60 like ourselves. >>http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html. By the way I was born 04/04/39; what about yourself ?

As one '39er to another I offer you this advice. The Camino is NOT a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that at are. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Walk slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Be a snail; slow but, determined.

What matters is to DO IT!

Carpe Diem,

Margaret Meredith

Hi,

I'm David from Denver, CO. I'll be walking the Camino Frances from SJPdP starting in September. This will be my first excursion.

Dave

Dave.Martinez said:
Hi,

I'm David from Denver, CO. I'll be walking the Camino Frances from SJPdP starting in September. This will be my first excursion.

Dave

Welcome to the 2013 class.
Keep an eye out for me. I'll be coming from Oloron-Ste-Marie and joining the CF at Puente La Reina.

i'll be biking the camino in late june, early july 2013. my wife is walking it with a friend, starting in late may. the plan is for the 3 of us to connect at the end, then walk together the final legs. should be interesting!

Dave.Martinez said:
Hi,

Dave
Hi Dave,
I'm also from Denver. My wife and I will be a couple of weeks ahead of you. We're doing the Camino Frances starting in mid-August and plan to be done by the end of September because we have to be in Texas for a couple of reunions in mid-October.

I don't know if you're aware that there's now local chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino. See http://americanpilgrims.com/about/local ... range.html In addition to some local hikes, they have a mentor program to offer personal advice about planning and packing for the Camino.

Jim

Hi fellow Pilgrims...My name is Penny and I'm looking at doing this walk in May or June this year. I was wondering if there was a super lightweight packing list that has been time tested? Also does anyone have an estimate of total costs from SJPP to Santiago? I'm very excited about doing it....just moving things about in my diary so that I get a good clear 5 weeks. Happy trekking to all those that are on the trail already.

€149,-
Penny: I went to REI and got excellent service and they fitten the pack. I looked around and they met my gates for cost and quality. They were in the top three that I could find ratings for.

I'm stepping off from SJPdP on May 5 for Orrison, then it's just one foot in front of the other. Hope to see you on the trail! Best wishes.

pilgrimgini said:
Hello, Fellow Pilgrims. We (Mike and Gini) are taking the Camino starting April 16 - tickets and most gear ready and we wait impatiently. We'll enter the Camino at Pamplona. Just look for the 2 oldest pilgrims and it will be us. Mike is 75 and I a youthful 72! Remember, it is neither a forced march nor a marathon and it will take as long as it takes!

Mike and Gini, I hope to start from Roncevalles on the 17th but may decide on Pamplona if the weather is still bad. We may be starting at the same time from Pamplona. I'll be celebrating my 71st birthday on the 17th so no, you are definitely not going to be the only people in their 70's. Hope to see you on the Way!

Karin

Hi Everyone!
My name is Cate, I'm from Texas. I am graduating college this May and I plan to begin the Camino in September! After graduation I am travelling in southeast asia for 7 weeks, so I just have to figure out what I will do between that trip and the camino and then I will book it!
I spent time studying abroad in Spain and loved it, so deciding to do the Camino was partly because I want to go back, but also just because I think it will be a great experience. This will be my very first pilgrimage, so if anyone wants to throw out some words of wisdom, I am all ears.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi

My name is Ă“lafĂ­a and I plan to walk Camino Frances in October 2013.

I come from Iceland and have been interested in all kinds of outdoor activities since I was little. I've been dreaming of walking the camino for 10 years now and it is time to stop dreaming and start acting. Yesterday I asked my boss if I could take my 5 week summer vacation in October to walk over 800 km in the north of Spain. I was pleasantly surprised that she didn't call me crazy and told me that that should be okay.

Now I have to start to prepare my self physically and mentally. I'm really excited.

Greetings from Iceland
Ólafía Lárusdóttir

penplop said:
Hi fellow Pilgrims...My name is Penny and I'm looking at doing this walk in May or June this year. I was wondering if there was a super lightweight packing list that has been time tested? Also does anyone have an estimate of total costs from SJPP to Santiago? I'm very excited about doing it....just moving things about in my diary so that I get a good clear 5 weeks. Happy trekking to all those that are on the trail already.

Hi Penny, on the costs - a few variables to consider: if you plan to stay in albergues, eat the pilgrim menu in the evenings and are not planning on too many cervezas and cafe con leches then you could get by on no more than €30 a day x number of days walked but if you want to stay in B+Bs once a week as a change, have a more varied evening meal choice and indulge yourself from time to time with treats then you start getting to an average of €40 a day and if you want to avoid albergues almost all the time then you're looking at over €50 a day. On the packing front, there are plenty of postings on packing lists, experiment on your training hikes with load weights and find what weight you can comfortably manage in your backpack and adjust accordingly.

Buen camino

Seamus

Hi catem, velkomnir Ă“lafĂ­a,

I am due to start my first Camino this April and I must say this forum has been magnificent in answering my questions, to be fair most have been asked before so I have made full use of the "Check if your questions has been asked before " link. I hope all goes well with your plans and preparations.

Buen camino - kevin

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.