• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2013

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Hello! My name is Adam, a friend and I are doing the camino this coming May 17. I am incredibly excited and eager to get started! I'm so glad I found this forum to find information and tips. Buen Camino to you all!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome aboard, Adam and friend. Where are you from and what date do you expect to depart SJdPP? Best wishes for your success.

Hi. My husband (age 65) and I (age 57), along with another couple plan to begin the Camino Frances in SJPP in early Sept 2013. Have begun training for distance (5 miles without pack is easy . . .). Researching trekking poles, sleeping bags (worried about cold), footwear and amount of clothing to bring. Have just found this site and looking forward to any thoughts/advice. Also, does anyone bring cellphones? Is there even reception along the way?

Thanks!

Cindy in Missouri USA

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Count me in!! I have tickets, reservations and new shoes! I am leaving Oklahoma on 12 Sept, 2013 for Dublin. Two nights in Dublin and then fly to Biarritz on 15 Sept. Start walking from SJPP on !6 Sept. My goal is to finish not later than 23 Oct ( my birthday) and fly back to Dublin for five days where I have booked a king suite so I can sleep! I will return to Oklahoma on 29 Oct. I have made contact with 2 or 3 others who are starting out on the same day and I look forward to this adventure. Buen Camino to all you hardy souls! David

Re

davidc1946 said:
Count me in!! I have tickets, reservations and new shoes! I am leaving Oklahoma on 12 Sept, 2013 for Dublin. Two nights in Dublin and then fly to Biarritz on 15 Sept. Start walking from SJPP on !6 Sept. My goal is to finish not later than 23 Oct ( my birthday) and fly back to Dublin for five days where I have booked a king suite so I can sleep! I will return to Oklahoma on 29 Oct. I have made contact with 2 or 3 others who are starting out on the same day and I look forward to this adventure. Buen Camino to all you hardy souls! David

My wife and I are leaving Atlanta on Sept 9th and starting out on Sept 11th from St Jean, with our first night at Orisson to get a slow start and combat jet lag. we are flying out of Madrid on Oct 21. Hope to see you on the way.
David & Barbara

Hello, Nice People of the Camino,

I'm pleased to meet you. I am Cheri from San Antonio, Texas. I see that there will be at least a few Texans on the Camino in the next few months. We'll try to behave ourselves. I leave my hometown on April 28 (...now where did I put my rock...?) and will start on from SJPP on MAY 1.

I am very excited. OK, the truth is in this moment I'm a bit panicked. I have had this in my sights since before there was a movie about it. Still, I do not feel ready. I only got the -GO! message on this thing 4 weeks ago. So many loose ends: How will I get from Roncsevalles to SJPP on April 30? I have no idea. My feet still get really tired on my spotty practice walks which are not nearly long enough. My pack is 2 pounds over my target weight. Respiro, Cheri! I'll be OK. But seriously, if any of you would please come to San Antonio and review what I've packed, I'd really appreciate it. I'll take you to a great Tex-Mex restaurant near my house ...

Pilgrims and Pilgrims-to-be, thank you so much for posting. This forum has been a lifeline and has prevented a lot of wheel reinvention. Enjoy your own trip-planning and your Camino.

Buen Camino, Y'all.
Cheri

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I'm Candy! I'm travelling from SJPP on the 28th of April with my son. I've given us until June 16 to complete. Through this forum I have planned what I can and have with difficulty let the rest fall into the lap of the gods! Hopefully I will be able to contribute as well! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!

We are going to do the Camino Frances (SJPP to Santiago) in May of 2013 - 31 days from now!! It is getting really exciting and we are both looking forward to the journey. We were first inspired by a friend who did part of the northern route a few years ago and when he told us about it, I knew then that it was something I wanted to do - no idea why though, really. Then this past year we watched The Way and we both knew immediately that we had to do the Camino - now. Again, not really sure why I feel I NEED to do it but there is definitely a very strong pull and so we have decided to just go for it. There is obviously something there for us and I am really excited to find out just what that is.
I am grateful for this forum, I have spent several hours looking over various threads which all help me to feel a bit more prepared for the journey.
Buen Camino to all our fellow "class of 2013" peregrinos!

Hi all

I see from the calendar that there are a few people leaving SJPdP on Tuesday May 7th

would anyone be interested in meeting up to walk together on the first day?

Ned

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've had to postpone my Camino that was scheduled to begin in late May. But I am very tentatively eyeing just after Christmas for a new start date, so I may be in the class of 2013 yet. Or would that be the class of 2014? Is it when you start or when you finish?)

Best of luck to all of you getting ready to head out. I wish I was going with you, but God decided I needed to wait a few more months!

Buenas!

Kevin here from Ireland. Starting out from SJPP with my brother on our first Camino on 27th May. I have a few (small) reasons for the doing this, nothing major. The start date is closing in so fast now! 6 weeks away from work, recession, tax increases, wage cuts, media, etc - mmmm, I might not ever come back.... :)

nedspencer said:
Hi all

I see from the calendar that there are a few people leaving SJPdP on Tuesday May 7th

would anyone be interested in meeting up to walk together on the first day?

Ned
Ned: I'll start a couple of days before you (May 5). I'm certain you will pass me. Hope to see you on the trail. Pablo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all former, present and future Las Peregrinas and Los Peregrinos,

Oleg is here back on the wagon again! Since I cannot afford thirty days of vacation this year and cannot accomplish Camino Frances again or Camino del Norte I’m going to accomplish Camino Portuguese. All flights have been bought and hotels booked already. So, there is no way back and out. Me and my wife are going to start on May 11, 2013 from Porto, Portugal. We hope to reach SDC on May 20.

Buen Camino dear colleagues! God bless all of you!

Sincerely,
Oleg

Hi,

I'm Bene from Australia and I'll be doing the Camino from SJPP starting in September. I'm in the very-excited planning stages now, refining all my gear and beginning my proper practice walks.

I'm pretty nervous because this will be the first time I'll have traveled overseas without some form of adult guidance (I'm only 18!).

Can't wait to see you all there,

Bene

BenedicteOR said:
Hi,

I'm Bene from Australia and I'll be doing the Camino from SJPP starting in September. I'm in the very-excited planning stages now, refining all my gear and beginning my proper practice walks.

I'm pretty nervous because this will be the first time I'll have traveled overseas without some form of adult guidance (I'm only 18!).

Can't wait to see you all there,

Bene

Don’t worry Bene. God and Saint James will save you if you show the behavior of a Good Christian! Age is not important. Some guys were already the Regimental Commanders at the age of 18 and Joan of Arc was the Commander in Chief at the same age. So, don’t worry and follow the yellow arrows.

Sincerely,
Oleg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! My name is Alesa. My friend and I are leaving Colorado on May 15th and flying in to Madrid, taking a train to SJPdP. Hope to start walking the Camino from SJPdP starting on May 17th. I only have until June 14th or 15th, leaving to go back to Colorado on June 16th back home. Is there any advice on an area to skip by bus since we most likely will have to cut a few days off of the trip?

Thanks in advance! Buen Camino!!

-Alesa

Hello everyone, I'm Tian from Canada. Will be starting in France sometime in May. Haven't really planned it yet, I have to say planning is not my strongest department. But super excited! Will let you all know the dates when I actually decide too

Hello everybody! I'm Nadine from San Ramon, California. My camino walk starts in SJPDP on June 1, 2013. Hope to see some of you along the way.

Well my plans have firmed up and the tickets are purchased. I will be taking my first steps from Saint Jean Pier de Port on Friday August 23rd, 2013.

This forum has been invaluable in helping me with encouragement and a myriad of decisions that had and still have to be made. I am 52 y/o and will be walking solo, I am reasonably fit and I've been doing some training, but a challenging schedule and the lack of any elevation changes to speak of here on the west coast of Florida have got me to thinking that the real training will be the first week or so of walking, For this reason and to assist in warding off any remaining jet lag, day one will be to Orisson, day two Roncevalles - after that, this forum has taught me enough not to make any specific plans.

I am fairly certain that, absent a prolonged injury, I have built in adequate time to reach Santaigo de Compostella, but I am hoping that I will be able to reach both Finesterre and Muxia as well by foot and make my Oct 8th flight from SDC to Dublin and then connecting back home to Florida.

In this short life I've been given this is the closest thing that I've been given to a calling. I am grateful that I'll be able to do this and already thankful for I suspect will be a transformational experience on this Pilgrimage. I am looking forward to meeting some of you on the journey.

Buen Camino........Bill - Bradenton, FL USA

mspath said:
Jenyat53 said:
Hi everyone
I am planning on walking in September-October 2013. Even now, it is hard to think about much else, every spare minute is spent reading and researching and just 'thinking' about the possibilities. At this point, I'm aiming to leave SJPP somewhere around mid-September and to take my time. As a 'just turned 60 Aussie' pilgrim, I will be walking alone and am looking forward to discovering what the Camino holds for me and to meeting others who are journeying at that time. Thank you to everyone for sharing their wisdom, what a treasure trove this site is!
cheers Jen

PS any advice keenly accepted :)

Jenny,

Welcome to the Forum! There is a wealth of helpful information here for planning your Camino.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. Past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share their experiences and advice.

Be sure to check the Over 60's thread compiled by some of us older pilgrims. See frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html]

September and October are wonderful months to walk the Camino. However you must be prepared for varied weather. Nights in October can be chilly or cold and freezing rain or even snow might occur. Be prepared!

By mid October not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is on the next stage. Since the crowds of summer are past you will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Jenny,
Congratulations first on allowing yourself the most amazing journey of your lifetime. I am not going to add anything except to not overead into it. I just got back after my Comino Frances (I started in Pau, France (well your front door is actually the start), but any advice I could give is what you think you need to pack (or have been told) is already too much, in the end the truth is, all you need is that it is YOU that is the most important item (as you will learn)...

My advice(s) is to slow down, touch the stone walls, attend a Templar Mass for pilgrams in some small village, look back when on top of a hill or mountain, cry, curse, question everything, listen for the awnsers (for you will be amazed at the responses).

What ever you need, lose, or cant find, the blessings and gifts will seemingly and magically appear and that is no joke. The Comino will provide those needs. If you did watch the movie, it cannot capture that what is reality.

Buen Comino....

Hi Jenny,
My husband and I plan to due the Camino during the same time frame (and pace) as you so we may run into each other on the trail.

We haven't booked flights yet, but plan to fly Nova Scotia to Paris around the 6th of September and make our way to Saint Jean. We may just book a train from Paris directly to Saint Jean (switching to the local train for the last part) or maybe just catch a flight o Biarittz. Haven 't figured out if we can get there in one day or not?

I'm nervous and excited at the same time!

Ruth Ann

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jenny & Ruth Ann......I am starting in SJPdP in late August and walking until October 8 so perhaps our paths will cross as well Buen Camino!

Starting at SJPdP on Friday 10 May. Who else will I meet that morning? Did such a stupid thingh today - walked with new hiking sandals and you've guessed it - BLISTERS. Thought of bringing them along on the walk. To be positive - now I know where to put on the bandaids when I start walking. See you soon :D

Forgot to mention that I'm originally from South Africa, been living in Canada now for nearly 6years and before that lived in Wiltshire, UK for 7and a half years. I just love moving around and guess that is a reason why I'm looking so much forward to meeting people from around the world.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Erica: I'm departing SJPdP on May 5, but I think you will pass me enroute as I am slow. I'll probably be by the side of the trail offering to sing for beer or something. Have a wonderful adventure!
Pablo

TheTinkerBell said:
Buenas!

Kevin here from Ireland. Starting out from SJPP with my brother on our first Camino on 27th May. I have a few (small) reasons for the doing this, nothing major. The start date is closing in so fast now! 6 weeks away from work, recession, tax increases, wage cuts, media, etc - mmmm, I might not ever come back.... :)
I'm starting out on that same day! I'll be walking only to Orisson. I'm a tall Canadian with crazy curls. Perhaps I shall run into you. Buen Camino!

Hi Erika, did you have any connection with the military? Our soldiers are all over Wiltshire and Canada as im sure youre aware :) Craig

Im starting out from Burgos this Thu (2nd May). I'll be wearing a desert cam hat. Hope to see y'all at some stage on the route :) Craig

pablo1775 said:
Erica: I'm departing SJPdP on May 5, but I think you will pass me enroute as I am slow. I'll probably be by the side of the trail offering to sing for beer or something. Have a wonderful adventure!
Pablo
Hola Pablo!

You're inside the "Stand by for Embark" window now ol' Marine! Five paragraph order all written up? Final Inspection of Pack and Gear? Last Will and Testament revised????
Counting on you to have the Way paved clear for my uneventful passing later on.
Semper Fi,
PFJ

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
pablo1775 said:
Pablo

Pablo: We leave SJPP May 3. We too will be slow--hope to average 100km/wk--but maybe we'll cath up if you drink enough beer. John and Dot from Indiana (oldest couple on El Camino???)

This is starting to get exciting. I sure hope to say Howdy to you folks along the way.
I'll be wearing a yellow ball cap in good weather and a USMC camo soft cover in bad.
I will celebrate my 76th on the trail in June.
Tapas and cerveza on me!
pablo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
pablo1775 said:
This is starting to get exciting. I sure hope to say Howdy to you folks along the way.
I'll be wearing a yellow ball cap in good weather and a USMC camo soft cover in bad.
I will celebrate my 76th on the trail in June.
Tapas and cerveza on me!
pablo

Hola, fellow Texan!
Have a great trip! Take care of your feet and they will take care of you! Drink lots of water and have a fabulous experience. What a way to celebrate your 76th...:)
Buen Camino!
Dee Anne aka "Bozzie"

Hello fellow travelers!
I will start walking the El Camino on May 30th from St. Jean. So super excited! :D You can't miss me, basic black hiking dress and hot pink accessories! Anyone leaving around that time, I would love to hear from you!
Cheers,
Mary Davis

Arriving into Biarritz from Dublin on 12 June, transferring to SJPdP later that day, staying there overnight, will probably just walk as far as Orisson the following day in order to break up the walk through the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles. I plan on spending about 6 weeks in Spain as I also hope to complete the Camino Finisterre whilst I'm there!

I look forward to meeting all those who I'm lucky to meet and who I'm meant to meet - I wish everyone on the road the very best!

Buen Camino!

Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,
I am planning to do the Camino (or at least start the Camino) this summer, end of July/ August and be part of the class of 2013!!! I really want to do it. I'm so excited but worried I will get lost/ not have enough of the languages etc as I'll be on my own. Is anyone having similar thoughts?!! love to all

Hi Pilgrims
I am becoming obsessed with all things camino and will be setting off around mid August and plan to reach Santiago by first week of October, hopefully in time to meet up with my cousin... So I'm not out to beat any world records.
Reason for doing it.... A conversation at my barber's Christmas party seven years ago where I met a German couple who did a fortnight each summer. Since then snippets of news and stories of the way have always caught my attention . There was a book by a prominent German entertainer Hape Kerkeling that I trudged through he did a glam ping version of the walk... Martin sheen's film, wonderful and then the crazy Irish couple and baby Indigo on you tube. Each snippet brings me closer.
Anyway retirement in July and a new chapter in life, what better way to slow down and refocus in a strengthening way. In training now and enjoying the solitude and rhythm and the burn that comes after the comfort zone is surpassed.
Having said that looking forward to being a living part of this tradition!

Buen camino

Tim44 said:
Reason for doing it....
Hola Tim44,
Welcome to the forum.
It's amazing the different circumstances that lead people to the Camino makes an intersting talking point along the way.
Hope all goes well as you "trek off" into retirement.
Buen Camino
Colin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a few other reasons too, Colin but I didn't want to shoot my bolt, as it were, on the first post....
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Tim

Tim I start on Aug 23rd from SJPdP heading to SDC/Finesterre heading back on Oct 8th....perhaps I'll see you there!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
23 days until take-off today. :D
I´ll start in Logroño the 25th of May and if everything works in a normal way my plan is to arrive SdC around the 19th/20th of June.

Traditional(?) swedish midsummer celebration will take place in Madrid the weekend after arrival :lol:

Until we meet......

// Jan

Bozzie, Farmer John, Al and JGarrett: Happy Trails. I'm off in about 6 hours for the big iron bird to fly to Paris to start this adventure. You all have been great on the forum. Hope to actually meet you on the trail. Semper fi. Pablo

Leaving California in 6 days!!
Anyone heading out of Leon Saturday 5/11??
It's just me and i would love to start my journey with a fellow pilgrim or a few fellow
pilgrims!!!

making my way from california to paris to the camino on july 4th. anyone else going beginning of july?

Hi all,
Im from California and will start in SJPDP on May 30th! Im a solo girl in my twenties. Would love to hear from anyone else starting around that time. Can not wait, less that four weeks away.
Buen Camino
-Brielle

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Brielle!

Ill be about two days ahead of you. Be sure to look at the forum calendar at the bottom of each page so you can see all the forum members that will be starting around the same day as you :) There's a whole bunch of us around that time.

If you have time, get a forum patch and slap it on your backpack!

¡Buen Camino peregrina!

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hello out there.
Tickets booked for flight ..arriving in SJPDP on 29th of august.
Starting my next camino on the 30th..hoping to see the ocean at Finisterre in the beginning of october. ...
See you on the way
Tor from Norway

Attachments

• 1367647647788.jpg
    1367647647788.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,519
I'm starting the Camino Frances for the first time, I'm hoping on May 20th and walking til June 23rd. I'm hoping I can make it to Finesterre and Muxia. I'm going to start in Pamplona so I have a couple of days to play with. Can't wait to meet other pilgrims and clear out the cobwebs. I'm very nervous about being able to walk 15 miles/day. I haven't trained much. I did a test walk today and my body isn't too happy about it. I'm obsessing about what to put in my pack to avoid un-needed weight. I'm from California and I can't wait!!! This has been a dream of mine since I was 20 and first heard about the Camino. :D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
gjoycar77,

Welcome to the Forum!

Browsing these Forum threads hold a wealth of information to help you plan your Camino.
Feel free to ask lots of questions since Forum members are always eager to share their personal experiences and advice.

Watch out since the Camino can be VERY addictive! Many Forum members have walked several times. Like yourself I, too, learned of the Camino when much younger. After dreaming about it for over 40 years I finally first walked from SJPdP to Santiago when 65. Now I still keep dreaming of another journey later this autumn. What matters most is to go on!

Good luck with your planning!

Carpe Diem and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi my name is BĂ©atrice, I live in Boden, Sweden. My hope and plan is to walk from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela and maybe to Fisterra starting September 3 (or August 13 still trying to decide) if I get from Pamplona in time. I will book a flight to Pamplona for September 2/August 12.

I decided in 2008 that the year i turn 40 I will do the trip and that is now 2013. I love walking/hiking, love the loneliness, me and my thoughts. Putting one foot in front of the other and get closer to my goal. Stopping and take in the nature and maybe snap some pictures for the memories at home.

Hola BĂ©atrice,
BeatriceKarjalainen said:
I love walking/hiking, love the loneliness, me and my thoughts. Putting one foot in front of the other and get closer to my goal. Stopping and take in the nature and maybe snap some pictures for the memories at home.
Lovely Thoughts.
Buen Camino
Colin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,
My name is John. My wife Cindy and I are taking 6 weeks beginning in the first week of October 2013 to walk from SJPP to Santiago. We hope to have enough time and desire to get to Finisterre, as well. This is our first time! We live in North Dakota, USA. It is so flat here that you can watch your dog run away for 3 days. Our training has begun, and we are reading through all the advice on what to (not) bring.

Can't wait!

//john

I'm starting from O'Cebreiro on 30th July intending to arrive in Santiago on 7th August. This is a trial for next year when I hope to start from SJPP. This year I simply don't have the available time or the confidence in my fitness, but I also simply know in my heart if I don't start this year I may never do it, and I think it's something I must do... so this unfit bunny is out walking, hiking and getting fitter and simply can't wait to set out on my journey.....and here's hoping 2014 may be my year for the really long journey.

Hola Gillyweb,
Welcome to the Forum. Think you should enjoy the walk from O'Cebreiro.
Buen Camino
Colin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Colin .... I'm very excited while a tad disappointed I can't plunge straight in from SJPP this year, but I know my limits and hope I'll be back fitter and with no time restraints to spoil things next year.. :D

BeatriceKarjalainen said:
Hi my name is BĂ©atrice, I live in Boden, Sweden. My hope and plan is to walk from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela and maybe to Fisterra starting September 3 (or August 13 still trying to decide) if I get from Pamplona in time. I will book a flight to Pamplona for September 2/August 12.

I decided in 2008 that the year i turn 40 I will do the trip and that is now 2013. I love walking/hiking, love the loneliness, me and my thoughts. Putting one foot in front of the other and get closer to my goal. Stopping and take in the nature and maybe snap some pictures for the memories at home.

Buen Camino, Beatrice!

I leave SJdPP on 31 August... most likely we will meet some where on the road!

Dave

Hi
I am Jude, living in Kentucky at this time. I will be walking the camino , north route starting may 28. I am flying into Madrid and taking a train to Sansebastian where I will begin my trek.

Gillyweb said:
I'm starting from O'Cebreiro on 30th July intending to arrive in Santiago on 7th August. This is a trial for next year when I hope to start from SJPP. This year I simply don't have the available time or the confidence in my fitness, but I also simply know in my heart if I don't start this year I may never do it, and I think it's something I must do... so this unfit bunny is out walking, hiking and getting fitter and simply can't wait to set out on my journey.....and here's hoping 2014 may be my year for the really long journey.
It certainly sounds like it's time for you to set out on the Camino. Well done on being willing to go this year even though it meant modifying your original starting place.

Bear in mind that your pilgrimage has an end point and that it starts from wherever you set out. Strange as it may seem, wherever we end up starting the walking part of our pilgrimage, we usually feel like it was just the right place.

Buen Camino

Hi There,

I set off for my very first Camino tomorrow. I mean that I depart from home tomorrow but on 11th May from SJPP.
My name is Aniko and please do not be mislead by the trailing 'o' as it has no significance in my mother tongue (as opposed to Spanish) so instead of and beside it:) I am a woman.

Here you can find a bit more about me:
http://anikocamino.blogspot.hu/p/intro.html

I am really curious whether I will meet anybody from this forum. Will see. :)

Aniko

Hi My plans are to walk the Camino in July. I have 45 days to complete the walk from St Jean Pied De Port to Camino De Compostela. Looking forward to this pilgrimage.

Hola montminr,
Welcome to the forum. 45 days is a good time to walk SJPP-SDC, gives time to "smell the roses" along the way.
Buen Camino
Colin

montminr said:
Hi My plans are to walk the Camino in July. I have 45 days to complete the walk from St Jean Pied De Port to Camino De Compostela. Looking forward to this pilgrimage.

Have a good walk.. :D .I will be finishing as you begin.

As they say here...Buen Camino

Lily

One of my most momentous Camino days was the day the Camino calendar flipped to the month I was leaving and I no longer had to "fast forward" to my month. I guess I better start packing. :shock:
I'm outta here in seven days!
- Kathy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Class of 2013 Sarria to Santiago 25th May to 1st June

Hi,

Karl 42 from Ireland, lone walker planning to do the final stages of the Camino. I am travelling from Dublin to Santiago on Saturday 25 and planning to get to Sarria that night or Sunday morning and start walking.

Hoping to meet some people doing the same route and looking to share transport to Sarria and also meet some new people on the way.

Regards,

Karl

FooteK said:
One of my most momentous Camino days was the day the Camino calendar flipped to the month I was leaving and I no longer had to "fast forward" to my month. I guess I better start packing. :shock:
I'm outta here in seven days!
- Kathy

Kathy, I felt the exact same emotion. 10 days and counting before I fly to London for a visit with family and then travelling to St. Jean PdP on the 23rd. Brent, Vancouver Canada

Hi,

Me and my wife are going to leave for Porto through Frankfurt on Main in fifteen hours. In thirty five hours we are supposed to start our march to Santiago from Porto!
God bless all of you and I hope you would wish us the same.
Sincerely,
Oleg and Svetlana

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola, I fly into Madrid and have 2 months ahead of me to trek Spain. I walked last year and was struck awed, so I am returning again. Madrid-Shagun-Ponferada-Santiago, via camino invernio. I am stoked to say the least. Buen camino to all and enjoy. :arrow:

My name is Frank - I am from South Wales and I am walking from El Ferrol to SDC from 3rd-6th July
I am walking solo as a test for a longer walk in the future

Buon camino

Hello. My name is Dami :D I'm a student in Liverpool, UK!
I am planning my journey - from St Jean Pied De Port to Camino De Compostela from 7,8,9th of August (not sure which date yet!) coming back home to UK on 16th September!
It was a very spontaneous decision. I decided only few weeks ago, so I'm afraid if I do not have much time to plan it all until August :cry: But with my flight already booked for 16th Sept, there is no turning back now! I'm very glad to have found this forum!
Hoping to meet people doing the same dates and I will be using this forum a lot to ask tons of questions as well! :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Dami,
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your time of preparartion, search the forum and yes, feel free to ask questions.
Buen Camino.
Colin

Uh oh. The sun is rising, the birds are singing and all is peace. Lying here in the comfort of my own bed with my 'last' cup of tea, all packed, house cleaned, food prepared for husband.....in two hours I walk out of the front door, say my sad goodbyes to him and my little dog and go up the road to join the Chemin de Compostelle and start to walk 975 kms. Why?!

Karin

Larazet said:
Uh oh. The sun is rising, the birds are singing and all is peace. Lying here in the comfort of my own bed with my 'last' cup of tea, all packed, house cleaned, food prepared for husband.....in two hours I walk out of the front door, say my sad goodbyes to him and my little dog and go up the road to join the Chemin de Compostelle and start to walk 975 kms. Why?!

Karin

Hello Karin,

You must be doing it because you can? :D Enjoy and have fun! :lol:

Buen Camino,

Lily

€60,-
Thank you Lily, Day One completed and feeling great. Imagine my sore buttock muscles will be repaired by morning. I walked too fast I presume!

Karin

Larazet said:
Thank you Lily, Day One completed and feeling great. Imagine my sore buttock muscles will be repaired by morning. I walked too fast I presume!

Karin

Wow,

I will be on pins and needles following you on your trip. I leave home on May 20 and will start from SJPdP on 23rd. How was the weather?

Take care,

Lily

Brent from Vancouver,
I leave Orisson on May 23. Look for me along the Napolean, gasping for air, gulping all my water, and crazily flinging items out of my pack after about 5 km, LOL!
Kathy

FooteK said:
Brent from Vancouver,
I leave Orisson on May 23. Look for me along the Napolean, gasping for air, gulping all my water, and crazily flinging items out of my pack after about 5 km, LOL!
Kathy
Hi Kathy, I will however I don't actually start until the morning of the 25th. I am spending 2 nights in St. Jean just to get the feel of the aura of the journey. I may catch up to you by Burgos. I'll be wearing a buff with Canadian flags on it.
If you have been following this forum you might have seen some posts by DragonLily. Lily and I have been fortunate to do 2 training walks together. Hook up with her, she has a very gentle soul.
See you soon & Buon Camino. Brent

Hi all,

Nisha from Singapore here. Walking the forum starting August 1st from Pamplona! I am taking a break after 13 years of work to spend 8 glorious weeks in Spain and will be doing the Camino to Finisterre. Anyone else planning on starting from Pamplona round abouts that day?

Would be good to catch up :)

:D

Nisha

Hi - my 13 year old son expressed an interest in walking the Camino, and rather impulsively, we have decided to walk the final 114km from Sarria to Santiago. We can only take a week out of lives, so we fly out on Wednesday (day after tomorrow!) and hope to be walking into Santiago on 20th May. We haven't done any training but both have some trusty walking shoes. I have really enjoyed reading all the members posts and the comments have been really helpful - so thank you to everyone posting!

I'm a little apprehensive but determined and hoping for a tranquil and life affirming experience.

Good luck and Buen Camino to all fellow Pilgrims.

Hi, I'm Bob from Dublin and am a virgin pilgrim heading on Sept 8th for the full Camino, hope to bump into some inspiring people along the way.
Buen Camino

Hola Bob,
Welcome to the forum,
Lot's of interesting people on the camino, including those in the "inspirational" category.
"Happy trails" for September.
Buen Camino.
Colin

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So, we have been marching from Porto since May 11 and we reached Tui, Spain, today. Bien Camino to all pilgrims marching to Santiago!

LieutCol.Ret. said:
So, we have been marching from Porto since May 11 and we reached Tui, Spain, today. Bien Camino to all pilgrims marching to Santiago!

I am planning to walk that route immediately after I complete the Camino France's, I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the trail and accommodation availability, and any recommendation :)

Hi all,

my name is Gray, recently reached the mandatory retirement age and am now living in Bangkok. I'll be travelling to Austria in early August and then on to begin the Camino Frances on 21 August. Thank you every one for the mine of useful information I've been able to find searching this website. I hope I can return the favour.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ffp13 said:
LieutCol.Ret. said:

I am planning to walk that route immediately after I complete the Camino France's, I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the trail and accommodation availability, and any recommendation :)
Hi,
Sorry, but sinse I'm marching together with my wife we are staying in the hotels not in albergues. That's why I'm absolutely useless as the expert on that theme. Signs and markings of the way are better in Portugal. Nature, landscapes and architecture are excellent in both countries. The weather is terrible since May 15. From that date till now and through May 20 there will be thunderstorms and rain showers. So, from Tui to SDC we will have to be wet. Temperature of air is only +12 degrees of Celsius. Tomorrow we should get Caldas de Reis.
Sincerely,
Oleg

Thank you Oleg, I hope the rain stops soon, I leave Australia on Monday for a bit of sunshine in Istanbul for a week before starting. My Camino France's, by the time a get to Portugal it should be hot?

Hello Ivar and fellow walkers:) Great to have this forum, I am booked and will be doing my first Camino in late August 2013 Thanks for all the useful information:) Di

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ffp13 said:
Thank you Oleg, I hope the rain stops soon, I leave Australia on Monday for a bit of sunshine in Istanbul for a week before starting. My Camino France's, by the time a get to Portugal it should be hot?
Today we were marching between the areas affected by the rains. Fortunately we left dry and clean and reached Caldas de Reis. According to http://www.intellicast.com and local sources the weather is going to be improved on Monday. But it will be no so hot as in North Australia. Local people are wearing sweaters, coats and jackets with fur collars.
Buen Camino! Sincerely,
Oleg

LieutCol.Ret. said:
ffp13 said:
Today we were marching between the areas affected by the rains. Fortunately we left dry and clean and reached Caldas de Reis. According to http://www.intellicast.com and local sources the weather is going to be improved on Monday. But it will be no so hot as in North Australia. Local people are wearing sweaters, coats and jackets with fur collars.
Buen Camino! Sincerely,
Oleg
Thanks for the updates on weather. I am trusting it improves by early July.

Colin Peter. ... Thank you. .. am excited and apprehensive in equal amounts. ... but I can feel the spirit from you all here. .. so kind. ..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
HI all, I'm Joe, an American Expat living in a closed middle east country, with Spanish ancestry. i first heard of the camino 3 years ago, with someone who stated, 'surely as a spaniard, you must know of el camino', no i didn't! it's not a requirement of citizenship! that was my introduction!. some how el camino was tucked away in my brain, and forgotten.. last year, for some reason, no idea why, the thought just came to me... and then forgotten.. in the autumn of 2012, there was a show on t.v. which I didn't watch, just flipped through the channels, then browsing iTunes... the way, which I purchased not realising it was about the EL CAMINO, and didn't watch.. flipping through t.v. the other day, and low and behold.. the way.. so I watched.. figured ok, i'll read up on it.. except can't get the books here, nor can I have them sent, they would be confiscated.. ordered them, and when I went to visit family over x max, got them, started reading just a couple of weeks ago... the call has been getting stronger and stronger.. now.. the plan is to go October. I wish I could take the whole time off of work, but... will have to combine 2 week holiday with a national holiday here, about 3 weeks.. to say i'm obsessed, looking forward to it, wondering if i'm insane (i'm 47, will be 48 on the journey, should I make it on to the camino this October), bad shape, etc.. and wondering if i'm insane. still the equipment has been ordered (researching quite a bit which isn't like me, had to order everything on line as again, nothing which will suite is available here), and wanting to keep it simple and light. So that's me!

Hola,
Wow! Terrific that you have found your way to this forum. Hope you find all the information you need - there are many old hands on this site who will be glad to answer your questions.

HI All,

Been a bit quiet as I wait for medical ok's but verbally have them and all will be confirmed this coming Friday. Planning on book flight next week and will let all know dates once it is done.

Bringing Camino newbie with me and we will start at Ponferrada and walk the last 211 kms in to Santiago.

For the posts who are hoping to be able to have time to walk to Finisterre - if you not have time, there are three buses that leave daily (and return). It is pretty much a whole day trip and there are lots of resturants in Finisterre to get meals. Once in Finisterre, you have to walk 3 kms uphill in order to get to the lighthouse and to the 'end of the world'. But by now, you should be very used to walking uphill and the upside is that it is downhill back to the town. The cost in 2012 was 23 euros for the round trip.

Tim

Hi, I'm Lyn from Sydney. My partner Bruce and I arrive in SJJP next Sat. week - June 1. We have accommodation in SJJP sorted out, but having trouble trying to find out if there is any space at all left in Orisson.. at either of their refugios for the night of June 3. Have had a couple of emails back and forth with them but it's not clear if they are completely full up and there is nothing available. We don't think we want to walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles in one go and Orrison seemed like a good spot to break up the walk.

Anyone like to hazard a guess whether it's just impossible at this late date to get anything there and I"m wasting my time???

Also same goes for Burguette where we wanted to stay rather than Roncesvalles -- doesn't seem as if we can book anything online for either of the inns I found listed on TripAdvisor....

thanks for any advice you can offer.
Cheers
Lyn

LynD2013 said:
We don't think we want to walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles in one go and Orrison seemed like a good spot to break up the walk.
Twould be a shame to miss the Route Napoleon, especially if the weather is good, so keep annoying Orisson. I wouldn't attempt SJPDP to Roncesvalles on your first day if you are not seasoned fit hikers. If you cant get into Orisson my advice would be to take the Valcarlos route and stay the night at one of the towns along the way.
Some enterprising folks walk partway up Route Napoleon then get a cab back to SJPDP and stay the night. Next day it's a cab back to where they finished the previous day, and on they go!
Nothing wrong with that!
Buen Camino from a Brissy boy
Gerard

Or stay at Hunto @ 7 km from st jean then at least there is only 20 k the next day.
Though highly recommend Orrison as kept meeting this initial group along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My hiking buddy told me about "The Way". My girlfriend and I watched the movie and all three of us are doing our Camino. My hiking buddy will start in September, and my girlfriend and I will start by flying into Lisbon on August 1st, train to Bayonne, then on to SJPP. We will start our Camino on August 4th.

We have already booked three of our accommodations and have received confirmations. We are soooo excited. At 66 we have been hiking in the mountains of northern New Hampshire for years, but this is the most exciting "hike" we have ever planned. I don't know why we haven't done this before !

Buen Camino !

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.