• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

Hola Peregrinos

Not sure if this is the forum for it but I felt I wanted to share this with you all :)
Since signing up here a few days ago and getting inspired to begin training for my Camino in May, I started walking after work on Wednesday afternoon with a little pack. It was a hot 39 degree sunny afternoon. I didn't take my GPS watch with me to calculate the distance I had walked so yesterday (Thursday), I set off again after work and it was a sunny very hot 40 degree afternoon, I retraced Wednesday's route to see what distance I had covered the day before. I'm glad to say I covered 8.2km comfortably on both afternoons but I jog every so often so I guess that helps but of course this is all without a weighed pack. I'm picking up my Osprey Sirrus 36L pack from our local hiking shop today and plan to weigh that with roughly 6kg and set out for Mt Gillen this weekend which isn't very far but it is quite hilly so it should get the whole body working (I hope! ;) ) I plan on increasing my daily distances every week with my weighed pack.
Anyhow, I tend not to think much when out hiking (of course still been safe), I just love the outdoors and it's wonderful to be able to see wild life and enjoy how blessed I am to live in such a beautiful place on Earth and I don't need to go very far to get into bushland.
Funny thing was, less than an hour of setting out on my walk/hike, it turned into an overcast, windy, dust storm of an afternoon - I was holding down my Akubra Territory hat over my ears and eyes so it wouldn't fly away... and then I thought to myself 'I said I was going to start training for the Camino, not be on the Camino in the middle of the desert' and then it occurred to me that my Camino probably started at the old Telegraph Station in Alice Springs where I frequent even before I had heard of the Camino... and that changes in weather patterns are bound to happen while on the Camino and I must keep going regardless.
Wow! What a mind boggling revelation! Even with the dust, wind and flies (yes flies! you wouldn't believe how persistent they are out here ;) ) in my face, I couldn't help having a wide grin on my face :)

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Peregrinos

Not sure if this is the forum for it but I felt I wanted to share this with you all :)
Since signing up here a few days ago and getting inspired to begin training for my Camino in May, I started walking after work on Wednesday afternoon with a little pack. It was a hot 39 degree sunny afternoon. I didn't take my GPS watch with me to calculate the distance I had walked so yesterday (Thursday), I set off again after work and it was a sunny very hot 40 degree afternoon, I retraced Wednesday's route to see what distance I had covered the day before. I'm glad to say I covered 8.2km comfortably on both afternoons but I jog every so often so I guess that helps but of course this is all without a weighed pack. I'm picking up my Osprey Sirrus 36L pack from our local hiking shop today and plan to weigh that with roughly 6kg and set out for Mt Gillen this weekend which isn't very far but it is quite hilly so it should get the whole body working (I hope! ;) ) I plan on increasing my daily distances every week with my weighed pack.
Anyhow, I tend not to think much when out hiking (of course still been safe), I just love the outdoors and it's wonderful to be able to see wild life and enjoy how blessed I am to live in such a beautiful place on Earth and I don't need to go very far to get into bushland.
Funny thing was, less than an hour of setting out on my walk/hike, it turned into an overcast, windy, dust storm of an afternoon - I was holding down my Akubra Territory hat over my ears and eyes so it wouldn't fly away... and then I thought to myself 'I said I was going to start training for the Camino, not be on the Camino in the middle of the desert' and then it occurred to me that my Camino probably started at the old Telegraph Station in Alice Springs where I frequent even before I had heard of the Camino... and that changes in weather patterns are bound to happen while on the Camino and I must keep going regardless.
Wow! What a mind boggling revelation! Even with the dust, wind and flies (yes flies! you wouldn't believe how persistent they are out here ;) ) in my face, I couldn't help having a wide grin on my face :)

Buen Camino!
Great attitude--You have arrived!!!!

Buenos dias everyone, :)
I have just purchased my return ticket, leaving Perth on the 21st April '14. My stomach is turning circles and to push that purchase button was quite intense.:p
First time doing anything on my own for many, many years, even booking tickets. Travelling alone for the camino and as others have said, it's all I think and dream about 24/7.
It's been over a year in the making and now I only have about 27 weeks to go :D. I can't remember anything else in my life that has sent me on such a roller coaster of emotions (apart from having my son) and it's really invigorating.
I've also felt a closer connection with life and myself since beginning this journey. My gratitude is immense and want to thank everyone everywhere for making this a possibility.
Adios ;)
Alex

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
meriPNG,

If I may offer a word of advice. 6kg doesn't sound much does it? However, it's extra weight for you body to carry. You're planning to increase your distances every week which is very sensible in my opinion. Why not take the same approach with the weight in your pack and increase it as get after you get used to walking distances with say 2 or 3 kegs to start with.

One of our biggest dangers when training for the Camino surely must be to let the excitement make our ambition moe than our body is ready for in the early days.

Take care, enjoy your planning and preparation and enjoy.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
meriPNG,

If I may offer a word of advice. 6kg doesn't sound much does it? However, it's extra weight for you body to carry. You're planning to increase your distances every week which is very sensible in my opinion. Why not take the same approach with the weight in your pack and increase it as get after you get used to walking distances with say 2 or 3 kegs to start with.

One of our biggest dangers when training for the Camino surely must be to let the excitement make our ambition moe than our body is ready for in the early days.

Buen Camino.

+1 on gently adding wt. into the pack when training. Your feet and joints will be more impacted by wt. gains than distance added.

39!! 40!!!! time to find an air conditioned bar and a cold one^^.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello all, my name is Brian, from Victoria, BC in Canada. I will be walking the Camino from SJPP approximately mid April - then taking an other month in Barcelona. I have started training in earnest - treating a sore knee and will get it and every other part of this sorry body, ready the big walk. Have been planning this for 6 years but some medical issues and inertia slowed me up. But this is it. Excited and nervous at the same time and looking forward to meeting all of you who are leaving at that time, at some point, along the way.

You can walk off some muscle and joint problems, but bad knees may only get worse with use. Have a treatment plan in mind, such as icing the knee several times a day, NSAIDs, and short days. Only you know the source of the sore knee, so take the advice of your doctor to keep it in shape. Buen camino!

39!! 40!!!! time to find an air conditioned bar and a cold one^^.
jpflavin1 hahahaha you get used to the dry heat out here but yup a cold one definitely works and thank goodness for air conditioning! :) and it's only going to get hotter this summer by the looks of it...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
meriPNG,

Buen Camino.

Muchas gracia JohnMcM, your advice is much appreciated and yes will be taking that on board to increase weight with distance and also at the same time listening to my body and how it's responding to these changes.
Buen Camino :)

+1 on gently adding wt. into the pack when training. Your feet and joints will be more impacted by wt. gains than distance added.
Muchas gracias taozenqi, very much appreciate the advice and will be taking it on board.
Buen Camino :)

I have just purchased my return ticket, leaving Perth on the 21st April '14. My stomach is turning circles and to push that purchase button was quite intense.:p
First time doing anything on my own for many, many years, even booking tickets. Travelling alone for the camino and as others have said, it's all I think and dream about 24/7.
It's been over a year in the making and now I only have about 27 weeks to go :D. I can't remember anything else in my life that has sent me on such a roller coaster of emotions (apart from having my son) and it's really invigorating.
I've also felt a closer connection with life and myself since beginning this journey. My gratitude is immense and want to thank everyone everywhere for making this a possibility.
Adios ;)
Alex
Woohoo! Excited for you lady! :) I reckon the next 27 weeks are going to fly by and before you know it, you'll be boarding that flight! Your post got me counting my weeks and I have only 30 more to go!
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all, my name is Brian, from Victoria, BC in Canada. I will be walking the Camino from SJPP approximately mid April - then taking an other month in Barcelona. I have started training in earnest - treating a sore knee and will get it and every other part of this sorry body, ready the big walk. Have been planning this for 6 years but some medical issues and inertia slowed me up. But this is it. Excited and nervous at the same time and looking forward to meeting all of you who are leaving at that time, at some point, along the way.
Hola Brian,
That's great news! Kudos to you for going on your Camino even with your sore knee, I wish you well and safe and happy traveling on your Camino and during your preparation.
I'm not a seasoned walker/hiker and have never attempted a pilgrimage like this before so like you I am excited and a tad nervous about my Camino in May and have only just started consciously walking with a weighed pack.
From experience through training for a half marathon (haven't yet run it but getting there), my only encouragement I can share with you is for you to constantly listen to your body and know its capabilities and what it needs to work on still - you don't want to cause more damage by pushing too hard too fast but I'm sure you're already on top of that all.
And like falcon269 said, a treatment plan is always good.
Stay well and Buen Camino! :)

Way to go BrianB! How Exciting!!

Buen Camino!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can walk off some muscle and joint problems, but bad knees may only get worse with use. Have a treatment plan in mind, such as icing the knee several times a day, NSAIDs, and short days. Only you know the source of the sore knee, so take the advice of your doctor to keep it in shape. Buen camino!
Thanks, advise taken for sure. Want to walk it as free and clear of injuries as possible.

I'm so happy to tell you this...................... My flights are booked.

Arrive Biarritz late morning Saturday 24th May, leave SDC early morning 28th May.

If only you could see my smile and hear my heart singing right now.

:D...................... Tra-la,la,la!...................Tra,la,la,la!........................:D

Buen Camino.

Arrive Biarritz late morning Saturday 24th May, leave SDC early morning 28th May.

:D...................... Tra-la,la,la!...................Tra,la,la,la!........................:D

Buen Camino.
I can hear it!!!!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Buen Camino.
Excellent--Congrats!!

Hi, Brian, from a neighbor to your south in Seattle. Nice to see another pilgrim from Cascadia. I've been thinking of 2014 but recent posts on this thread are making me realize how quickly it's approaching and that I need to get cracking.

Buen Camino.

That's 4 days from Biarritz to SDC...wow! I'm guessing it might be a typo but if not, that's *really* fast walking!!

Buen Camino.
As pnwPilgrim suggests, that's quite a pace..... Bon (F1) Camino !

Buen Camino.

hi john, in your excitement state are you sure you did not made a mistake returning 28th of may from sdc instead of june the 28th.

anyway, enjoy your camino and god bless.

June 6, 2014 with a friend from North Carolina on her first Camino. We plan to spend the first night at Orrison which will be on her birthday! The plan is to do the entire Camino in 45 days or somewhat less.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hi john, in your excitement state are you sure you did not made a mistake returning 28th of may from sdc instead of june the 28th.

anyway, enjoy your camino and god bless.

Oh! No! I've got my numbers horribly wrong again :(

Here we go, a change of ticket administration fee coming up:confused:

Now? What is the number for Easyjet flight changeso_O

This time I'll ask a 6 year old to help me.

Back later with an update.................I hope.

Oh! No! I've got my numbers horribly wrong again :(

Here we go, a change of ticket administration fee coming up:confused:

Now? What is the number for Easyjet flight changeso_O

This time I'll ask a 6 year old to help me.

Back later with an update.................I hope.

Telephone number 0843 104 5000.

Change fee online ÂŁ35. Telephone/at airport ÂŁ40. Of course there is extra fare if price of ticket costs more.

Good luck.

Telephone number 0843 104 5000.

Change fee online ÂŁ35. Telephone/at airport ÂŁ40. Of course there is extra fare if price of ticket costs more.

Good luck.

Thanks Piogaw, kind of you to post that info.

Now, listen to this folks because it's really weird how things have worked out for me.

My wish has always been to go StJPP, SDC, Finisterre and Muxia in a single trip. Time has always meant that I would be lucky to do that in the 34 days I had available. I was starting to get used to the idea of not being able to do that.

Then, thanks to a (heavenly?) combination of my sausage fingers on my keyboard, getting numbers wrong and pretty much making a silly error I had to re-book my flights today (see my earlier post).

Maybe I was meant to have my wish granted because with the variables of re-booking flights, actual flights available, cost, simple good luck and the help of a great guy in an Indian call-centre called Binod, the end result is that my 1st Camino will now last 41 days.

I need to make some decisions and have discussions about my job now, but whatever the outcome, I will fly to Biarritz on 24th May and leave SDC 5th July.

I'm still in a little 'bubble' about how this has worked out and the singing in my heart has started again, louder than before.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Been on the Bahn website tonight looking at train times for start of May.

You know what it is like, I thought I was chilled and being cool about it, taking my time, no rush blah blah blah. Then read everyone else's updates and thought, nah get on it with it.

Once I figure out how to work out the links, my credit card's going to get an outing!!

:D

Hello john,

I am glad you got your ticket squared away. Now you got more time to do the camino frances and maybe finisterre and muxia and camino ingles? Or maybe just finisterre and muxia.

Buen camino and godspeed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Buen Camino.
Ah John! I will be leaving SJDP on the 30th....we might still run into each other!
Buen Camino!!!! Tra-la, la la!!!

I think I've finally settle on a begin date from SJPdP - and that would be May 24. Leaving California on the 2oth 2+days traveling and a lay-over day to rest up. The planning continues...
Dave

My plans for walking the Camino Inegles then Finisterre Way have firmed up. I will leave London on 8 Apr and travel to Covas that day. The plan is to walk back to Ferrol on 9 Apr, starting the Ingles proper on 10 Apr. Then on to Muxia, Finisterre and back far enough to close the loop without doubling up.

That should give me enough time to spend a couple of days in Santiago before returning home via London.

I have seen that there are a couple of forum members planning to walk the Ingles around this time. I will be keeping an eye out for the forum patch (and I will be wearing mine).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My plans for walking the Camino Inegles then Finisterre Way have firmed up. I will leave London on 8 Apr and travel to Covas that day. The plan is to walk back to Ferrol on 9 Apr, starting the Ingles proper on 10 Apr. Then on to Muxia, Finisterre and back far enough to close the loop without doubling up.

That should give me enough time to spend a couple of days in Santiago before returning home via London.

I have seen that there are a couple of forum members planning to walk the Ingles around this time. I will be keeping an eye out for the forum patch (and I will be wearing mine).
Sounds like a well thought out plan Doug!! Buen Camino!

Thanks Piogaw, kind of you to post that info.

Now, listen to this folks because it's really weird how things have worked out for me.

I'm still in a little 'bubble' about how this has worked out and the singing in my heart has started again, louder than before.

Buen Camino
Congratulation John, isn't it great how things can change for the BETTER ! Delighted for you, happy planning.

Greetings,
I'm planning on walking the Camino Apr-May 2014.
SJPP-Santiago. I'm planning on giving myself 2 months (maybe longer, if needed.
I'll be the slow one.
I'm excited and really looking forward to my pilgrimage.
HillTrekker (from Oregon)

Greetings,
I'm planning on walking the Camino Apr-May 2014.
SJPP-Santiago. I'm planning on giving myself 2 months (maybe longer, if needed.
I'll be the slow one.
I'm excited and really looking forward to my pilgrimage.
HillTrekker (from Oregon)
Hello HillTrekker. Buen Camino!!!

Hi, Brian, from a neighbor to your south in Seattle. Nice to see another pilgrim from Cascadia. I've been thinking of 2014 but recent posts on this thread are making me realize how quickly it's approaching and that I need to get cracking.

Hi pnwPilgrim - yes good to hear from you. I am going through the all the planning stages and have started "training". I realize that while April seems like a long way off - it's coming fast. Especially when you consider all the stuff you need to get together. I am planning to go as light as possible so hopefully getting all the "stuff" won't be a hard task. Good luck as you get into this!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Brian,
That's great news! Kudos to you for going on your Camino even with your sore knee, I wish you well and safe and happy traveling on your Camino and during your preparation.
I'm not a seasoned walker/hiker and have never attempted a pilgrimage like this before so like you I am excited and a tad nervous about my Camino in May and have only just started consciously walking with a weighed pack.
From experience through training for a half marathon (haven't yet run it but getting there), my only encouragement I can share with you is for you to constantly listen to your body and know its capabilities and what it needs to work on still - you don't want to cause more damage by pushing too hard too fast but I'm sure you're already on top of that all.
And like falcon269 said, a treatment plan is always good.
Stay well and Buen Camino! :)

Thanks meriPNG. Really appreciate that and yes, I am listening carefully to this old body. Using a personal trainer right now to build the knee strength and I hope it 'takes'. Good luck on your journey - it'll be great!

Hola fellow peregrinos! My hubby just got the okay on taking 6 weeks off from work next Spring; bought plane tickets same day! We hope to be joined by our daughter; God willing, we plan to start in SJPP on Sunday March 30, 2014. We created a packing list we think we can live with that includes base merino, mid fleece, vest and lightweight rain gear that will double as wind & cold protection. So much info on this forum; it has been a tremendous help, great insight and it has been such an inspiration seeing how generous everyone is. Thank you!

Oh, we've also pretty much settled on Merrell Moab Ventilators, Bridgedale liners and Aarn packs (packs should be arriving this week). We've also started training; so far 5 miles on consecutive days when time allows but after reading the last few comments on the importance of training properly by slowly adding weight to the pack, focus will now be more on working up the weight instead of only working on distance. Thanks again, hope to meet many of you on the camino. Blessings!

Hi, I'm Lorraine. I have been keeping an eye on this forum for a few years now and dreaming of the Camino. Personal circumstances though have kept me from taking that step to make my own pilgrimage. The sad passing of my elderly mother last month has meant that it is now time for me to look at things anew and I hope to start this walk next May. I have always found solace in walking and find it a meditation that produces solutions to issues that may concern me. I have already picked up a lot of hints on the practicalities of the Camino through my 'lurking' and hope that I can participate more fully in the forum now. I am an Australian single lady in my 50s from Brisbane. So hola to you all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I'm Lorraine. I have been keeping an eye on this forum for a few years now and dreaming of the Camino. Personal circumstances though have kept me from taking that step to make my own pilgrimage. The sad passing of my elderly mother last month has meant that it is now time for me to look at things anew and I hope to start this walk next May. I have always found solace in walking and find it a meditation that produces solutions to issues that may concern me. I have already picked up a lot of hints on the practicalities of the Camino through my 'lurking' and hope that I can participate more fully in the forum now. I am an Australian single lady in my 50s from Brisbane. So hola to you all.

Hello Lorraine,
Welcome.
Sad to read about your Mum and I think understand your need to look at things anew.
We have a connection of sorts through what we both get out of walking.
So, you've been lurking have you? Hope it's time for you to start making real plans now.
Try to remember the biggest step is, we are told, the first one. Thereafter it's a matter of taking another step again, again, again and again.
As they say 'fill your boots' as you look round the Forum and enjoy your planning and preparation for your Way in May.
Hope we meet.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Hola all Camino planners!
Well we have finally decided on our dates- leaving Brisbane on 9th May arriving Paris the next day. 2 days in Bordeaux to get the body ready with the help of some "medicinal" wine and then SJPdP for the night of the 12th before starting ominously on the 13th-it WILL be lucky for us. After more than a year in the planning, Tania And I -2 best friends of 20 years- will be on our adventure. We are very much looking forward to meeting you all.
Cheers!
Michelle.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How many people walking in March? Any observation from those who have walked in March that can be helpful. Altho I hear the weather is often cold and wet...Is it ever sunny?

We'll be walking in February/March 2014 (mostly February) and it will be our first (of many, for sure) camino. We're expecting a little bit of everything: snow, rain, hail, storms.. I think it is specially important at this time of the year to be physically and mentally prepared, and with some extra days to spend on the camino, as we will most likely have sit and wait some of the days due to storms or build up snow.

HI Sister Simon, My wife and I are going to be walking at the same time. We will likely leave SJPP on August 28th, our 43 anniversary. Perhaps we will be lucky enough to meet you somewhere along the way. Robert

I will have just turned 58(how did that happen?!)at the start of September 2014 and plan to walk from mid September -October 2014.I'll be walking alone and fairly slowly, as I'm disabled, and would surely love to meet some of the fascinating people I've been reading about in these forums.Anybody out there who might like to join me for a km or few?I'll be coming from Ontario, Canada and am looking forward to matching up some names and faces. I've got my forum patch and have been slowly gathering up gear.Its taken me twenty years to save up for this wonderful pilgrimage, and finally seeing The Way gave me that extra boost to start finalising my plans.The biggest hurdle will be finding care for my 34 year old quadraplegic son, but I believe God has called me to walk, and will provide.In the meantime Ive got my pedometer and have a lot of training to do-something I am definately not used to. I had to get help just figuring out how to program the pedometer!

€60,-
Hi Pattii - we will be walking at the same time, getting into France in late August in order to spend a few days dealing with jet lag before heading to SJPP to begin the walk.

Hi I am Pattii from Alberta Canada and in the class of 2014!

My plan is to spend 6 months in Europe ending up at my sisters in Sweden for Christmas 2014. I will be in France in August exploring some of the wonderful places along the Tours route. In September 2014 I will be walking The Camino Frances all the way to Fisterra. I am giving myself 40 days from SJPdP to Santiago and will take my time to Fisterra. The plan then is to bus back along the coastal route resting and exploring for a week or so and perhaps even walking from Roncesvalle to SJPdP mid to late October! I hope to meet up with some of you somewhere along the road! And if any of you are planning on travelling elsewhere afterwards my plans are for Morocco and Italy and maybe even Egypt then north stopping a few places on my trek to Sweden. Let me know if you are heading my way!

Buen Camino All!

Blessing
Pattii

Hi John, it sounds like you will be three days ahead of us as we leave on August 28th.

Hello All,

I hopefully will be starting from SJPDP on Monday 25 August 2014, at the planning stage for arriving on the Sunday . Training in the lake district where I live, and reading everything I can.

All the best John

Hoping that we get the same kind of weather for our walk. We are expecting it to take us about 40-45 days - il faut aller doucement at our age. :)

I'm like you, don't like heat, don't like rain. After checking the historical meteorological charts I decided Autumn was the time for me. I left SJPDP September 1st arrived SDC 14th October. Sunny days with avg max temp of 25C. Light rain showers only during the last week in Galicia. I'm doing it again same time in 2014.
Buen Camino.

Just booked flights to Barcelona on 16th May,we will then take train to Irun and start our Camino Norte on 20th . Can't wait to get on the road again.
Whoopee!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Barcelona to Irun: (renfe.es)
Tren
ALVIA 07.30 13.28 5 h. 58 min.
ALVIA 15.30 21.33 6 h. 3 mi
Price: 25,85

Hello fellow Caminers! I walked the Camino last year with my daughter, and by God's grace we did not finish because of infected blisters. I say it was a blessing, because as we made the decision to call it a day, I assured my daughter we would return. So, mid-June until mid July we return-will start at Burgos.
I chuckle when I read that people search for meaning on the Camino, for I struggle to find meaning in between. As a former Marine, walking with a pack on my backand with only a map to consult feels alarmingly like home. I now teach, and in math class, miles between villages along the Camino make their way into my instruction on a regular basis. It is hard to focus on anything but the Camino! Best part was the opportunity to meet new people. Hope to meet more!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi John, it sounds like you will be three days ahead of us as we leave on August 28th.
I will be just going slow as I am over 65, so I will look out for you my Canadian cousin.

Thanks lynnejohn, I needed that train info too. I guess that's from Sants station. Eek! didn't realise it took so long.
I usually book from here through the Rail Europe site but probably at four times the price. I may wait until we are in Barcelona and book the day before.
Although I'm the type who feels comfortable having as much arranged in advance as possible until I get to my start point. :rolleyes:

Plane tix are purchased, leaving from Boston, MA! Begin the Norte June 24 with my 10 year old son.

Buen camino a todos

Update on my post dated 23rd September.

This photograph is of two of my grandsons on holiday in my homeland. They are choosing a stone each for me to bring on my Camino to lay at Cruz de Ferro.

I'm terrified they will turn up my door with a couple of those rocks!

Hi Lorraine. Welcome to the forum. Really sorry to hear about your mum.
Buen camino

€60,-
Attention Southern California - Class of 2014. Would anyone be interested in a get together for planning and discussion sometime early in the year? Let me know and I'll start a list of interested folks... I'm thinking maybe February or March at the REI store in Irvine CA about 1/2 way between LA & San Diego.
Dave
0fftrail1 at gmail

Buen Camino Dave. I am walking the last week of May through June 2014....we just might cross paths if you decide to go in the Spring!:cool:
Looks like that's exactly when I'll be walking... as of now plan to begin from SJPDP on May 24th... Hope to see you along the way.
Buen Camino

Hola everyone - first-time poster here! I've been reading this forum for a few months now and have finally taken the plunge and signed up. I am planning on walking the Camino Frances from SJPdP starting September 2014 (around the 3rd), with my mother. I'm 46 and currently not very fit, she'll be nearly 79 (and is very fit) - much training will be taking place between now and then! I've done a lot of travelling but nothing in the way of long-distance walking. Mum hasn't travelled for a long time (fear of flying, due to claustrophobia, which will be her huge hurdle to overcome). We're planning on taking it fairly slowly, allowing at least 2 months to get to Santiago (I have luckily got 3 months leave from my job) and staying mostly in small hotels rather than albergues. At the moment we're focused on increasing fitness (me especially), learning a bit of Spanish, and we've become obsessed with gear shops and the finer points of the different backpack/footwear/equipment options. Since we made the decision to walk the Camino we've both been plagued with the most bizarre succession of minor ailments, which is all very interesting as a "challenge" :rolleyes: to our determination, but could be done without.... Anyway, I've already picked up some really useful info from the forum, and can see it will be invaluable for tips and support and general panic-prevention over the next 10 months!
Great to meet you all....

€60,-
Hola everyone - first-time poster here! I've been reading this forum for a few months now and have finally taken the plunge and signed up. I am planning on walking the Camino Frances from SJPdP starting September 2014 (around the 3rd), with my mother. I'm 46 and currently not very fit, she'll be nearly 79 (and is very fit) - much training will be taking place between now and then! I've done a lot of travelling but nothing in the way of long-distance walking. Mum hasn't travelled for a long time (fear of flying, due to claustrophobia, which will be her huge hurdle to overcome). We're planning on taking it fairly slowly, allowing at least 2 months to get to Santiago (I have luckily got 3 months leave from my job) and staying mostly in small hotels rather than albergues. At the moment we're focused on increasing fitness (me especially), learning a bit of Spanish, and we've become obsessed with gear shops and the finer points of the different backpack/footwear/equipment options. Since we made the decision to walk the Camino we've both been plagued with the most bizarre succession of minor ailments, which is all very interesting as a "challenge" :rolleyes: to our determination, but could be done without.... Anyway, I've already picked up some really useful info from the forum, and can see it will be invaluable for tips and support and general panic-prevention over the next 10 months!
Hola and Buen Camino!!!

€149,-
I am delighted to find this thread as I am planning my Camino for April/May or September/October 2014. I will be traveling alone since all my friends and family think I've lost my mind on this one, so if you see me out there, I hope we'll become friends. Buen Camino!
Tonya

Hi Tonya, I too will be walking the Frances in April/May 2014. Prepare for chilly mornings & warm afternoons. Buen Camino.

How many people walking in March? Any observation from those who have walked in March that can be helpful. Altho I hear the weather is often cold and wet...Is it ever sunny?

Mark:

I have walked this time of year the since 2010. In2010-11 it was cold in the mountains but pretty dry. On the Meseta in early April 2011 it was 30c/90f several days. The weather can be dramatically different on varying section of the route.

In 2012 I started on April 1st and it rained almost every day.

2013 had a lot of snow in March/April. Many Pilgrims were forced to take the Valcarlos route, delay their departure or start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona.

The best advice I can offer is to check in here as your time approaches and listen to the Hospitalero's in SJPdP.

Some Albergue's are not open till April 1st. There can also be crowds over Easter week.

Ultreya,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Tonya, I too will be walking the Frances in April/May 2014. Prepare for chilly mornings & warm afternoons. Buen Camino.
Hi to you and Tonya. I will also be walking starting from SJPP on or about April 8 or 9. When are u planning on leaving? Look forward to it and the possibility of meeting u on the road.

Hi Martha!
I am planning my camino for September 13th, 2014, also leaving from SJPP. I'll be hiking on my own until Leon when a friend is hopefully meeting me. I hope to see you!
Buen Camino!
Tanya
Oliver, BC
Canada

This forum is a wonderful resource. I read it everyday, and received my forum badge in the mail today. So exciting!! I think I've decided on May of 2014 rather than September. Going to try and learn some Spanish between now and then. Buen Camino everyone!
Hi again Tonya. Are you starting from SJPP? How many days are you planning? Hope to see you on the trail.

Hola Lorraine from sunny Alice Springs!
I will also be walking in May 2014, hopefully we will cross paths :)
I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's passing but take solace in all the good memories you both shared.
I lost my Dad 3 years ago and still miss him incredibly, I know he will be with me on my Camino :)
Buen Camino Dear Lorraine
Marie xx

Last edited:
Hi to you and Tonya. I will also be walking starting from SJPP on or about April 8 or 9. When are u planning on leaving? Look forward to it and the possibility of meeting u on the road.

Hi Brian, I'm hopefully starting at SJPP on or around your dates. I'm planning to do between 20 & 25 km a day, just going with the flow.
I did a piece last year, between Astorga & Santiago, so I know that that distance is a good doable distance to enjoy the sights & sounds.
Happy planning.

I just saw the movie "The Way" and have been inspired ever since. I am planning my pilgrimage starting on my 58th birthday (8/31/14) I can't wait!!

I have a friend that says she would do it with me, but the more I think about it, I would like to do it on my own. She's a much faster walker than I am. Maybe we can walk seperately and meet up at the end of the day? We have two years to figure it out.

I've started telling my friends and I'm getting mixed reviews. (I'm over weight and that worries my friends) But like I said, I have two years to get into shape, get my knee's working better and prepare for my journey.

I'm so inspired by the posts I have read so far on here. This is a great blog!!

Teri
Hi Teri ... you sound exactly like me! Saw the movie and knew straight away that I wanted to do this. I'm planning to start last week in August 2014 and I'm taking my time to smell the roses on the way. Would think it would take me about 8 weeks all up. Maybe see you there .... Trish

I am delighted to find this thread as I am planning my Camino for April/May or September/October 2014. I will be traveling alone since all my friends and family think I've lost my mind on this one, so if you see me out there, I hope we'll become friends. Buen Camino!
Tonya
Hi Tonya ... I'm doing my first Camino September/October. Planning it is so much fun! I am well and truly out of my comfort zone on this one but feel like it's something I just have to do. Maybe see you there ...

Hi. I'm new to this forum, new to the camino, and somewhat inexperienced as a hiker. However, I've decided to walk the camino in April/May of 2014. Since I can only get 2.5-3 weeks off from work, I'm currently planning to do the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago.

I'm a bit excited and a bit nervous (since I'm late 50s and not a regular hiker); hopefully, the excitement will be the part that grows. *smile*

I just wanted to say hi.

Welcome to the forum Tad. I believe that you will find a wonderful community here. There are a lot of experienced pilgrims who can help you out with your questions. Also try out the search function (upper right corner).

Your Camino has already begun!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Martha!
I am planning my camino for September 13th, 2014, also leaving from SJPP. I'll be hiking on my own until Leon when a friend is hopefully meeting me. I hope to see you!
Buen Camino!

Similar start date and location planned. Hope to see you along the Way...

Hi there ... what a wonderful thing to do with your mum. I'm sure it will be something to remember. I'm also planning to start 1st week of September and as I'm pretty unfit I'm expecting it to take me at least 2 months. Slowly but surely! This will be a big learning curve for me and put me well and truly out of my comfort zone. I'm doing this on my own .... my husband left me a year ago after 27 years together and I'm trying really hard to get my life back and come to terms with a future without him. They say miracles happen on the Camino so here's hoping! So maybe will see you on the road .... best of luck with your training.

Greetings from Oklahoma,
My wife and I are planning our Camino for June 1st and into July 2014, with a few days in Barcelona after our journey. Very much looking forward to the adventure. This forum has been an incredible resource! Thank You Ivar.

Flying into Paris, TGV to Bayonne and onto SJPdP for a June 3rd departure! 7 months away and so much to do in preparation.

Cheers!

Hi there ... what a wonderful thing to do with your mum. I'm sure it will be something to remember. I'm also planning to start 1st week of September and as I'm pretty unfit I'm expecting it to take me at least 2 months. Slowly but surely! This will be a big learning curve for me and put me well and truly out of my comfort zone. I'm doing this on my own .... my husband left me a year ago after 27 years together and I'm trying really hard to get my life back and come to terms with a future without him. They say miracles happen on the Camino so here's hoping! So maybe will see you on the road .... best of luck with your training.

Thanks Trish! That's a big change for you to overcome - sounds like you're heading in the right direction. I just saw from your post on the other thread that you're another Kiwi - there seem to be lots of us on the forum, which is great. Hope to see you on the way!

Thanks Trish! That's a big change for you to overcome - sounds like you're heading in the right direction. I just saw from your post on the other thread that you're another Kiwi - there seem to be lots of us on the forum, which is great. Hope to see you on the way!
Hi again .... yes it's been a terrible year but I've got such great things to look forward to next year. I've also got 3 months leave from work and will be taking it slow. I've got a lot of work to do before September that's for sure. Everyone has been so supportive ... even though my kids think I'm a bit crazy!

Greetings from Oklahoma,
My wife and I are planning our Camino for June 1st and into July 2014, with a few days in Barcelona after our journey. Very much looking forward to the adventure. This forum has been an incredible resource! Thank You Ivar.

Flying into Paris, TGV to Bayonne and onto SJPdP for a June 3rd departure! 7 months away and so much to do in preparation.

Cheers!
Buen Camino!!! & months will pas quickly my Amigo....

Hello everyone,
I'm sure there's somewhere else to ask this question but I'm blowed if I can work out how to, so please forgive me for hi-jacking this thread:rolleyes:

I only have an iPad. Can anyone tell me how to get a photo from my iPad Camera Roll into a post on this forum please.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,
I'm sure there's somewhere else to ask this question but I'm blowed if I can work out how to, so please forgive me for hi-jacking this thread:rolleyes:

I only have an iPad. Can anyone tell me how to get a photo from my iPad Camera Roll into a post on this forum please.

Thanks.
Wouldn't you just click on upload file in a new post & then browse your iPad to where your photos are located?
I'm not a Mac user so I'm only guessing it would work similarly to android devices. Good luck!

With many thanks to meriPNG you should find below a photograph of a 6 year old and a 5 year old searching a river-bed in Scotland for their pebble to give to me to take to Cruz de Ferro for them and their family and, a second photograph of a pebble for me to carry for them from some of my nearest and dearest.

With luck I'll be setting off on my first Camino next May carrying 8 pebbles.

Buen Camino

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 20
Hi Brian, I'm hopefully starting at SJPP on or around your dates. I'm planning to do between 20 & 25 km a day, just going with the flow.
I did a piece last year, between Astorga & Santiago, so I know that that distance is a good doable distance to enjoy the sights & sounds.
Happy planning.
That is about what I am planning also. First stop much stop much shorter - Orrisson - just to ensure a slightly bum knee doesn't go south. Then Roncesvalles - and average 20- 25 after that. Enjoy. Try to slow down.

With many thanks to meriPNG you should find below a photograph of a 6 year old and a 5 year old searching a river-bed in Scotland for their pebble to give to me to take to Cruz de Ferro for them and their family and, a second photograph of a pebble for me to carry for them from some of my nearest and dearest.

Buen Camino

Great you figured it out! Oh how lovely! I'm off to Scotland a little after my Camino.
Buen Camino amigo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Adios ;)
Alex
He, he, I can visualize you. You will have the time of your life. All the best with your planning and a successful Camino!

Best regards,
Another Alex

Thanks meriPNG (what does that mean by the way?),

I'll try that. But remember, you're talking to a guy here who's being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century................... how I miss pen and paper!
Hey John, were you referring to my username 'meriPNG'? It means PNG woman. Or Papua New Guinean woman which is where I come from originally :D
Ah yes gone are the good old days when we actually had to speak to people instead of IMing, emailing, etc etc :p
Cheers, Marie

Hey John, were you referring to my username 'meriPNG'? It means PNG woman. Or Papua New Guinean woman which is where I come from originally :D
Ah yes gone are the good old days when we actually had to speak to people instead of IMing, emailing, etc etc :p
Cheers, Marie

Papua New Guinea! Wow! You're going to be a long way from your birth home when you find the furniture and fittings for your spiritual home during your Camino.
Buen Camino Marie.

Hi Tonya ... I'm doing my first Camino September/October. Planning it is so much fun! I am well and truly out of my comfort zone on this one but feel like it's something I just have to do. Maybe see you there ...
I feel exactly the same way! Planning the hike constantly in my mind… obsessing almost haha! It's going to be hard to wait a whole year.

€149,-

Buen Camino

Ooooooer! Might be more than 8. Another 3 arrived today.

How lucky am I to have people around me willing to trust me with their hopes/memories/dreams/wishes and prayers. I am humbled.

Buen Camino

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 12

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.