• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

Hi, just joined the forum today. My wife and I are planning to walk from Roncesvalles starting in very early March. At 70 years of age I cannot face the Pyrenees, los Pirineos, on the first day thus no St. Jean. We probably fly from Toronto to Madrid the 27th or 28th of February and start walking from Roncesvalles the 1st or 2nd of March. We can walk... but not too fast so we are planning for 45 days.

We tried the camino this year and walked from Sarria to Santiago with a tour company. Next year we will be on our own; the true pilgrim way. For us who are Roman Catholic el camino has a spiritual significance.

Finally, we both are fluent in Spanish. We hope to meet some of you in the way.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, just joined the forum today. My wife and I are planning to walk from Roncesvalles starting in very early March. At 70 years of age I cannot face the Pyrenees, los Pirineos, on the first day thus no St. Jean. We probably fly from Toronto to Madrid the 27th or 28th of February and start walking from Roncesvalles the 1st or 2nd of March. We can walk... but not too fast so we are planning for 45 days.

We tried the camino this year and walked from Sarria to Santiago with a tour company. Next year we will be on our own; the true pilgrim way. For us who are Roman Catholic el camino has a spiritual significance.

Finally, we both are fluent in Spanish. We hope to meet some of you in the way.

Buen Camino!
Buen Camino!!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Am planning my second camino along the Portuguese route from Lisbon, late April-May 2014 (avoiding Easter). Walked the Frances with my daughter this year during the same period. Next year I will be walking solo which will be a big challenge for me.
Buen camino one and all

Am planning my second camino along the Portuguese route from Lisbon, late April-May 2014 (avoiding Easter). Walked the Frances with my daughter this year during the same period. Next year I will be walking solo which will be a big challenge for me.
Buen camino one and all

.....Camino Frances with my daughter: http://magwood.wordpress.com

Hope your"solo" camino brings you even more opening & joy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen camino one and all

.....Camino Frances with my daughter: http://magwood.wordpress.com

Wish I had started earlier Magwood but have only just started reading you blog.
Great stuff, thank you.
Buen next Camino

Hi. I'm another Kiwi, planning to start from Roncevalles around late August/early September 2014.
Hi there .... I've just booked by ticket leaving Christchurch 3 September, hopefully starting in Roncevalles 7 September or thereabouts. Hope to see you there!

Hola Peregrinos :)

I hope this finds you all well :)
So I completed the first section of the Larapinta Trail on Saturday (Nov 9th) and I found Vaseline does work to prevent blisters!!! I was a little skeptical at first re Vaseline and so were the local pharmacists when I told them what I'd be doing with it! :rolleyes:
Took me 9 hours and 42 mins to walk from my place through the Alice Springs Telegraph Station to Simpson's Gap (roughly about 26km), I had about 10kg (mostly water) in my Osprey Sirrus 36L rucksack which I drank through pretty quickly, I even tested out my rain cover!!! Not that it was real rain... just a few spots of rain but for some weird reason, I wanted to see how fast I could cover my pack! :p (I know I really am a big kid still trying to get over childhood! hehe)
Even found myself a walking stick just after I left my place and boy did it come in handy in the last 8km which was all pretty much uphill and snakey but I once again realised my appreciation for the beautiful landscape we have out here and for the vast amount of space where I always feel free :)
This was my first real long walk with a weighed pack and it only weighed so much because I had to carry all my water with me but I realised how much more I really need to prepare myself better for my Camino in May... only 5 and a bit more months really!!! Wow! I only just realised how close it's getting!

Buen Camino and happy preparations (if you're like me and looking forward to your Camino :) )

Marie

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Peregrinos :)

I hope this finds you all well :)
So I completed the first section of the Larapinta Trail on Saturday (Nov 9th) and I found Vaseline does work to prevent blisters!!! I was a little skeptical at first re Vaseline and so were the local pharmacists when I told them what I'd be doing with it! :rolleyes:
Took me 9 hours and 42 mins to walk from my place through the Alice Springs Telegraph Station to Simpson's Gap (roughly about 26km), I had about 10kg (mostly water) in my Osprey Sirrus 36L rucksack which I drank through pretty quickly, I even tested out my rain cover!!! Not that it was real rain... just a few spots of rain but for some weird reason, I wanted to see how fast I could cover my pack! :p (I know I really am a big kid still trying to get over childhood! hehe)
Even found myself a walking stick just after I left my place and boy did it come in handy in the last 8km which was all pretty much uphill and snakey but I once again realised my appreciation for the beautiful landscape we have out here and for the vast amount of space where I always feel free :)
This was my first real long walk with a weighed pack and it only weighed so much because I had to carry all my water with me but I realised how much more I really need to prepare myself better for my Camino in May... only 5 and a bit more months really!!! Wow! I only just realised how close it's getting!

Buen Camino and happy preparations (if you're like me and looking forward to your Camino :) )

Marie
Way to go!!! Good to know that the Vaseline did work. I will try it ASAP.

Buen Camino

Ivar,

We are also planning 2014, however our dates under CURRENT discussion are early April thru May starting from SJPP. We are a bit older so we are planning 45 days. We are concerned about the weather during that time frame. Our research shows about 19 days per month of rain. Is that your experience? Heavy rains or drizzles? Cold, cool or warm?
Marly & Harold Wilson
Naples, Florida
Hello my name is Abel and my wife Vicky we are planning to the camino at the end of April we already have our reservations to leave Miami to Rome for the John paul II sainthood on April 27 the next day we will leave for sJPP hope to see you in el camino GOD WILLING.

Hi there .... I've just booked by ticket leaving Christchurch 3 September, hopefully starting in Roncevalles 7 September or thereabouts. Hope to see you there!
Thanks Taozenqi and Trish, I shall watch out for you both. I suspect I won't be hard to spot.... I'll be the one head down, bottom up, puffing like a train even on the flat bits!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all
I am back to do another section of the camino frances this year. I did Leon to Santiago in April 2013 which may sound like an odd plan in planning to do the camino in stages, but turned out good as I had the flu in March and rather than have to face crossing the Pyrenees the first day I had a few days of easy walking to get built up-though the first few were tough going I soon hit my stride. But I did learn that too much planning of how far I was going to walk each day didn't really work out, some days were shorter if I was tired or sore, while other days I walked much further.

So this time I am heading to do St Jean to Burgos (hopefully!) starting on 8th May. Looking forward to it! Better get out and do some walking then! And after last spring when I spent so much trying to communicate with groups of Germans I think I better learn some German ( especially as they were all so nice to me as I was walking on my own!)
Buen Camino

Hello my name is Abel and my wife Vicky we are planning to the camino at the end of April we already have our reservations to leave Miami to Rome for the John paul II sainthood on April 27 the next day we will leave for sJPP hope to see you in el camino GOD WILLING.

Hello Abel and Vicky,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a great time for you.

Buen Camino

Hello all
I am back to do another section of the camino frances this year. I did Leon to Santiago in April 2013 which may sound like an odd plan in planning to do the camino in stages, but turned out good as I had the flu in March and rather than have to face crossing the Pyrenees the first day I had a few days of easy walking to get built up-though the first few were tough going I soon hit my stride. But I did learn that too much planning of how far I was going to walk each day didn't really work out, some days were shorter if I was tired or sore, while other days I walked much further.

So this time I am heading to do St Jean to Burgos (hopefully!) starting on 8th May. Looking forward to it! Better get out and do some walking then! And after last spring when I spent so much trying to communicate with groups of Germans I think I better learn some German ( especially as they were all so nice to me as I was walking on my own!)
Buen Camino
Hi Roving Rufus! I will be doing the Leon to Santiago myself in hopefully September. Maybe not till the following May. I am really excited about it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Roving Rufus! I will be doing the Leon to Santiago myself in hopefully September. Maybe not till the following May. I am really excited about it.
Hi Dawn - hope you enjoy it whether you manage September or the following May!

I will be leaving on the 29th of May hopefully, as I dug out my passport I noticed that the photo page seems water damaged so I'm going to have to post that out 1st. Its a real pain. Still have 4 years on it. I'll be walking my Camino for a cancer charity called the Throat Charity Foundation UK, it's a new charity set up in January this year.
I lost my husband last year to throat cancer that's my reason for walking my Camino. Ill be creating a JUST GIVING page in memory of my husband. Though best get my passport back before I create his page.
Ill be walking it on 52£ a week so it will be a real challenge. I'm so excited and can't wait.
Buen Camino

Mrs.D D : That is a very nice gesture walking el Camino for a very good cause !!

Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi! Bonjour! Hola! I'm Bridget, from Kansas. My plan is to do the camino known as the Chemin du Puy (that is, starting in Le Puy, France) starting late May or very beginning of June. Probably not the ideal time, but as I'm a teacher I don't have any other options. Why make the way twice as long as "usual"? I'm a francophone! Of course I want to use my French. That said, I also hope to improve my Spanish. I'm 30 and will be going on my own, but my mom and/or oldest sister might join me for part. I'm open for any suggestions for preparing ahead of time, especially as it regards the budget. I'm stretching myself a bit far this year, also going to Spain (Madrid and southern) for 2 weeks in March!

Update on my pebbles from nearest and dearest.

Starting to get quite a collection. Is there such a thing as a 'lightweight Camino wheelbarrow'? ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 26
I'm walking the Camino Frances in June. I bought my ticket to Paris just the other day with my frequent flyer miles- so it is on! It feels so official now, like I am really doing it. My youngest son graduates from high school on a Friday and I fly on Sunday. Anyone starting on Pied de Port the 17th of June?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi! Bonjour! Hola! I'm Bridget, from Kansas. My plan is to do the camino known as the Chemin du Puy (that is, starting in Le Puy, France) starting late May or very beginning of June. Probably not the ideal time, but as I'm a teacher I don't have any other options. Why make the way twice as long as "usual"? I'm a francophone! Of course I want to use my French. That said, I also hope to improve my Spanish. I'm 30 and will be going on my own, but my mom and/or oldest sister might join me for part. I'm open for any suggestions for preparing ahead of time, especially as it regards the budget. I'm stretching myself a bit far this year, also going to Spain (Madrid and southern) for 2 weeks in March!
Hi Bridget, (same name as my mums, good Irish name). it would be nice to see you along the way. Like you I'm on a strict budget, me having to renew my passport has done my head right in. My advice is to look in charity shops for a good rucksack. I bought a quechua giettaz 50l out of a charity shop for 15pound's. So that's sorted I'm planning on doing the same with everything. Kindly I was bought my boots already. What size are you? Also a lady off the forum has said she would pass on quickdry t-shirts and socks. Anything that will help me get there I'm so grateful of. I will book my flight with my next social security check and live on toast for a fortnight. Need's must. I sold my tumble dryer to pay for my flight, though just before booking I thought I'd double check all the details on my passport as I'll be walking for charity best to get ticket bought then open a JUST GIVING page in honor of my husband who passed away from throat cancer last August. The reason I'm walking the Camino is to try to get my head in some sort of order. I've decided as I'm doing this I will help others in the same position David was in. In my opinion throat cancer is the most evil horrid place to get cancer. David was not even allowed to swallow his own Silvia from the time he was diagnosed till the day he passed away.
I am walking the Camino for my own sanity (or lack of lol).
P.m me about your shoe size
Kind regards Angie xx

I finally have a start date for my Camino, booked my flight from the UK last night. Fly to Madrid on 02/08, then a train to Pamplona and the bus to SJPdP.

So excited!! Just need a good pair of walking shoes for christmas then the real training can begin.

Hi Ivar,
We are from Hong Kong (3 ladies & 1 man) under 40 years old, and would like to plan next year (July/Aug 2014) to walk from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela . Here is our plan, can you give me some comments on the plan and suggest some B&B on each stay:-

As I ‘ll have an operation on my left wrist in February 2014, I may require baggages delivery services from point to point. Can you also give me some advice on this issue?

Day 1: Take train from Madrid - Santiago de Compostela
Day 2: Santiago ---Sarria
Day 3: Sarria to Portomarin
Day 4: Portomarín to Palas de Rei 2
Day 5: Palas de Rei to Arzúa 28km
Day 6: Arzua to O Pedrouzo
Day 7: O Pedrouzo to Santiago de Compostela (To attend Mass @ 12PM)
Day 8: Santiago de Compostela fly to Rome

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We did Sarria to Santiago this year with a tour company: Marly Camino. They provided deluxe service. Their itinerary is similar to yours, 6 walking days (see http://marlycamino.com/caminos/buen-camino/ ) . I am not suggesting that you need them, but since the itinerary's are similar I think your plan is very doable. Your group is a lot younger than we are (I am 70) so you should not have any problem. Buena suerte! Buen Camino!

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2014?
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .

I am planning to walk in May/June of 2014. I walked previously in 2010 and can't wait to go again. The info shared on this site is great and always informative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi..El Camino has been on my list for a very long time..A friend has just asked me to join her and our flights are booked.. we belong to an outdoor club and are both in our 60s..we have a month and will do as much as we can starting May 1,2014....Kathie

I am planning to walk in May/June of 2014. I walked previously in 2010 and can't wait to go again. The info shared on this site is great and always informative.
I as well will be doing the Camino Francis May/June 2014. My dates dates are on the forum Calendar. When will you be walking? Buen camino!!

Hi Bridget, (same name as my mums, good Irish name). it would be nice to see you along the way. Like you I'm on a strict budget, me having to renew my passport has done my head right in. My advice is to look in charity shops for a good rucksack. I bought a quechua giettaz 50l out of a charity shop for 15pound's. So that's sorted I'm planning on doing the same with everything. Kindly I was bought my boots already. What size are you? Also a lady off the forum has said she would pass on quickdry t-shirts and socks. Anything that will help me get there I'm so grateful of. I will book my flight with my next social security check and live on toast for a fortnight. Need's must. I sold my tumble dryer to pay for my flight, though just before booking I thought I'd double check all the details on my passport as I'll be walking for charity best to get ticket bought then open a JUST GIVING page in honor of my husband who passed away from throat cancer last August. The reason I'm walking the Camino is to try to get my head in some sort of order. I've decided as I'm doing this I will help others in the same position David was in. In my opinion throat cancer is the most evil horrid place to get cancer. David was not even allowed to swallow his own Silvia from the time he was diagnosed till the day he passed away.
I am walking the Camino for my own sanity (or lack of lol).
P.m me about your shoe size
Kind regards Angie xx

Your post touched my heart. Wishing you all the best on your journey.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just bought my plane ticket! I don't think it's sunk in yet. Or maybe I'm just too used to traveling internationally. I still have a lot of training to do before I leave for Paris May 28, but it's a real thing now, not just hypothetical.

Perfect!

Love it that people start to plan early... when in 2014 are you planning to walk?

Greetings from Santiago with 30c heat and sun.... not complaining!
Ivar

Hi there - my husband and I started in late April and there was snow beside the road from StJean Pied a Port to Roncesvalles so it was fairly cold then, however we also experienced the other extremes - searing heat, fierce sun and rain, thunderstorms as well as some beautiful weather.

Just bought my plane ticket! I don't think it's sunk in yet. Or maybe I'm just too used to traveling internationally. I still have a lot of training to do before I leave for Paris May 28, but it's a real thing now, not just hypothetical.
Wow - training!!! My training was red wine and tapas.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello!

I am Lee aka Freespirite from Sydney, Australia. I am 58 years of age, pretty fit for my age. Planning to do the Camino walk, starting from Seville with a friend I recently met. My travel companion is planning on completing the 800 kms walk in two months but I felt daunted by the challenge and will at this stage commit to the first 100 kms.

We hope to start off in mid-April 2014 and my completion date is when I get to complete it, I guess. I know I am not terribly ambitious but there you go. :)

Looking forward to reading about walks done by other pilgrims.

Cheers

Lee
Hi Lee - I started the Camino in April.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, i have read through some of the posts, but not yet come across any other folk intending to walk from Granada, as my husband & I intend to do - starting mid-March, 2014. Anyone else going to be in that neck of the woods in March/April next year? Having already walked from SJPP we will be well prepared physically, but also 'expecting the unexpected' ! Either way we can hardly wait.

Hi there - I'm in northern rivers - nice to see some other pilgrims nearby. We walked from SJPP as well. Walking from Granada will be great!

Dear Camino friends
I hv booked international flight from HK - Rome.
Now I am considering whether it is too early too book interal returned flight from Rome to Santiago? Any suggestion?

Hi everyone!

I received my membership of the Confraternity of Saint James today and for the first time my dream of many years is starting to look real. The plan is to walk from St. Jean-Pied-du-Port to Santiago de Compostela in April-May 2014.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you on the way!

Wishing you a blessed Camino

Gideon Smit

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Everyone!

I'm planning my third Camino starting in September 2014. I walked first time in 2012 and then again in spring 2013. It'll be interesting to try it in the autumn! This time though I'm definitely going to train properly (at least I have good intentions, right?) and hopefully avoid the knee trouble I had last year. I am signing up to walk the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge in preparation (eek! 42km in 12 hours!).

This forum is an amazing resource, so while in previous years I lurked and just read posts, I am determined this year to contribute the little bits of knowledge and experience I have gained on the Camino.

Buen Camino!
Tara

Hi Everyone!

I'm planning my third Camino starting in September 2014. I walked first time in 2012 and then again in spring 2013. It'll be interesting to try it in the autumn! This time though I'm definitely going to train properly (at least I have good intentions, right?) and hopefully avoid the knee trouble I had last year. I am signing up to walk the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge in preparation (eek! 42km in 12 hours!).

This forum is an amazing resource, so while in previous years I lurked and just read posts, I am determined this year to contribute the little bits of knowledge and experience I have gained on the Camino.

Buen Camino!
Tara
Hi Tara ... I'm also walking in September 2014. Flying to London 3 September then onto Madrid/Barcelona and hopefully start walking 7th September. I've got good intentions to train too .... got to lose quite a bit of weight and get fit. Really looking forward to the challenge and the start of something new for me. Good luck with the training .... maybe see you on the way! Cheers, Trish.

Hi Tara ... I'm also walking in September 2014. Flying to London 3 September then onto Madrid/Barcelona and hopefully start walking 7th September. I've got good intentions to train too .... got to lose quite a bit of weight and get fit. Really looking forward to the challenge and the start of something new for me. Good luck with the training .... maybe see you on the way! Cheers, Trish.

Hi Trish
I hope to walk then too. I have been training and losing weight. Still have a ways to go, but I think I will get there.

Beun Camino!

Hi Trish
I hope to walk then too. I have been training and losing weight. Still have a ways to go, but I think I will get there.

Beun Camino!
Hi there Dawn .... great to hear you're going to be walking same time as me! My training is pretty non existent at the moment, and as for losing weight ... Will definitely have to up the anti! Keep in touch xx

Hi there Dawn .... great to hear you're going to be walking same time as me! My training is pretty non existent at the moment, and as for losing weight ... Will definitely have to up the anti! Keep in touch xx
The weight loss thing is tough! I have a few things to share if you want to hear my secrets. :p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes please! Tell me NOW!!! I'm always on the look-out for ideas. Unfortunately I'm on medication for thyroid which doesn't help (plus I probably drink too much wine!). Keep that quiet ....
I have been doing Leslie Sansone Walk at Home program for 2 years...lost 80 lbs and almost 6 pant sizes! Super easy to follow and doesn't hurt my knees. LOL

Thanks to that program, I can walk the Camino.

I have been doing Leslie Sansone Walk at Home program for 2 years...lost 80 lbs and almost 6 pant sizes! Super easy to follow and doesn't hurt my knees. LOL

Thanks to that program, I can walk the Camino.
That's just amazing Dawn! Good on you. That is a wonderful achievement. Keep going ... and think of the joy and satisfaction when you reach Santiago! Hope I am there to share it with you xx

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2014?
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .

I am from Charleston and my wife and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances starting in late April. We have our trip planned as far as Pamplona and are wondering what is the best way to get from there to St Jean Pied du Port?

Ivar,

We are also planning 2014, however our dates under CURRENT discussion are early April thru May starting from SJPP. We are a bit older so we are planning 45 days. We are concerned about the weather during that time frame. Our research shows about 19 days per month of rain. Is that your experience? Heavy rains or drizzles? Cold, cool or warm?
Marly & Harold Wilson
Naples, Florida

My wife and I have booked our travel and will start from SJPP around 26 April. Hope to meet you an the way.
Bill and Joan Tucker
Charleston, SC

I will be making my first pilgrimage May of 2014 on the Camino Frances starting from SJPP. I actually first learned of the Camino during a Rick Steves travel show and have dreamed of doing it ever since. My wife recently watched "The Way" and wants me to do the trip...alone!

Backdrop...I am 41 years old and am a Police Officer in Washington State. My wife and I have three teen age boys with the youngest being severely disabled. In a perfect world, my wife would walk with me but having a disabled child makes it impossible to be gone that long. She has seen the desire in me to become a pilgrim and is my strongest supporter.

I have not hammered the exact dates out, but will begin in May and will follow loosely John Brierley's 33 day plan from SJPP to Santiago.

I have already begun to save up my vacation time and cannot wait.

You have a very, very special lady there. Joan and I will be on the Camino in May. Hope to meet you there.
Bill Tucker
Charleston, SC

To all future peregrinos,

Do not worry about trying to lost weights. At the end of your camino you will all notice that you have lost weights. You will also notice your hiking pants are starting to fall down and you will be literally tightening your belts. At the same time you will be adjusting and tightening the straps in your rucksacks.

Buen camino to you all. May you all arrive safely and healthy in santiago. God bless.

Hello Deadfred, Tyrrek & Mysticl..and all others planning for 2014!
Regardless when you go in 2014 you will most likely meet Marly & me on the Camino. We are planning an April 2014 departure from SJPP...however, at that time I will be turning 76 and Marly will be 74...so, will take us a while to complete. So, if you see a couple of "turtles" trudging along, that will be us.

Marly & Harold
Naples, Florida

Joan and I will be leaving SJPP around 25 April. Hope to see you on the way.
Ultreya and Buen Camino

€83,-
Do not worry about trying to lost weights. At the end of your camino you will all notice that you have lost weights. You will also notice your hiking pants are starting to fall down and you will be literally tightening your belts. At the same time you will be adjusting and tightening the straps in your rucksacks.
No doubt many pilgrims will lose weight, but that is a poor reason for not making reasonable preparations for the walk, particularly if you are overweight or technically obese. You just put a lot more strain on your body carrying the extra weight. If you can take off a few of those excess kg, you will be much more comfortable from the outset.

Regards,

I'm welcoming any suggestions as to what is the best month to start the Camino.
Hi Martha! I'm an autumn walker. I don't like cold so spring is out for me as if winter lingers with it's cold & wet then it's not enjoyable. Summer is too hot for me so that, leaves from about mid August to the end of September to start from SJPDP. Then I am walking into the cooler months. I love it. I don't get to see the spring flowers or the green wheat fields softly waving in the breeze, but I can see lovely pictures of them!
Regds
Gerard

Hi All. I hope to part of the Class of 2014. I am planning either a spring or fall camino. Starting in Barcelona, and using the Camino's Sant Jaume, Aragon, Frances (Pamplona to SJPDP), Norte Primitivo and Frances again to Santiago and then onto Muxia to end either on 1 July or 11 Nov. It will be a personal pilgrimage as well as a pilgrimage to bring awareness of Canadian military PTSD. More to follow.

€83,-
Worthy cause - As a fellow Canadian and former member of the CF (many years ago) I wish you the very best and hope you bring much success to your cause. Mostly I sincerely hope those suffering from PTSD find some peace for what they did for us all.

Buen Camino

Mark
Hey Mark. Thanks for the encouragement. Also thanks for your service to Canada.

I too will be part of the Class of 2014. My arrival will be in Pamplona with an overnight there to do some jet lag recovery. Then the next day (May 17) on to SJPP with a start up the Pyrenees on the 18th with a group ("Just get me started" with Nancy Reynolds). We will part ways in Pamplona on the 21st and I will be on my own until leaving for home from SDC on June 27th.
For several months I have been hiking to prepare for the Camino but I am currently not hiking since I feel in a wooded (and leaf covered) trail last Sunday. Took a header and am a bit banged up. But I am grateful that the damage is minor (knot on head with lovely black and blue face, broken finger, swollen knee). CT of head was clean but showed a high degree of stubbornness!
Will get back to training this coming week I hope ;)
Stefania

Hey all. I will be setting off from SJPDP on the 2nd of May. If anyone is also leaving then, maybe we can walk the first days together ? :)

Hi All. I hope to part of the Class of 2014. I am planning either a spring or fall camino. Starting in Barcelona, and using the Camino's Sant Jaume, Aragon, Frances (Pamplona to SJPDP), Norte Primitivo and Frances again to Santiago and then onto Muxia to end either on 1 July or 11 Nov. It will be a personal pilgrimage as well as a pilgrimage to bring awareness of Canadian military PTSD. More to follow.

A very worthy cause and one needing much more publicity and action by the government in its funding and in support by the community.

Congratulations and all success on your walk.

Buen Camino!

My daughter and I will be walking from Sarria to Santiago in mid-September 2014. I would like to walk more but ten days is all the time that my daughter can get off work. But I know that I will be back as I am sure that she will.
Yesterday we were at the Mountain Equipment Co-op in Toronto for the first time. We bought each other our packs as Christmas presents to each other, and I bought hiking poles. I am sure that we will be back many times over the next months. They were extremely helpful; several of the staff to whom we talked had walked the Camino, as had one customer that we met.
I so enjoy reading this forum each day. Thank you one and all.
Buen Camino from rural Ontario.

I too will be part of the Class of 2014. My arrival will be in Pamplona with an overnight there to do some jet lag recovery. Then the next day (May 17) on to SJPP with a start up the Pyrenees on the 18th with a group ("Just get me started" with Nancy Reynolds). We will part ways in Pamplona on the 21st and I will be on my own until leaving for home from SDC on June 27th.
For several months I have been hiking to prepare for the Camino but I am currently not hiking since I feel in a wooded (and leaf covered) trail last Sunday. Took a header and am a bit banged up. But I am grateful that the damage is minor (knot on head with lovely black and blue face, broken finger, swollen knee). CT of head was clean but showed a high degree of stubbornness!
Will get back to training this coming week I hope ;)
Stefania
Well Stefania, I major bit of bad luck luck for you.... Sorry to hear this but there should be plenty of time for you to get well, continue training and be ready to go for your Camino.
I as well plan to fly into Pamplona via Madrid in Mayo then wrangle my way to SJPDP and start on Mayo 22. How do you plan to get to SJPDP from Pamplona? I hear there are taxi's or perhaps buses to SJPDP. Once in Santiago, I plan to get a bus back to Pamplona then fly back thru Madrid to the States.
Perhaps you should try some good treking poles for balance to make sure you do not fall again? Buena Suerta. Ed

Well Stefania, I major bit of bad luck luck for you.... Sorry to hear this but there should be plenty of time for you to get well, continue training and be ready to go for your Camino.
I as well plan to fly into Pamplona via Madrid in Mayo then wrangle my way to SJPDP and start on Mayo 22. How do you plan to get to SJPDP from Pamplona? I hear there are taxi's or perhaps buses to SJPDP. Once in Santiago, I plan to get a bus back to Pamplona then fly back thru Madrid to the States.
Perhaps you should try some good treking poles for balance to make sure you do not fall again? Buena Suerta. Ed
Thanks Half Dome! I was using poles ; ) I just didn't realize a root was under those nasty leaves !!

Half Dome, you made me laugh and I forgot to answer your question. I plan on "no plan" from Pamplona to SJPP (yet). If someone wants to share a taxi I may do that or take a bus in the afternoon (I know there is one during that time of year). Once in SDC I will take a plane to Madrid and be home that day. Hope to see you along the way (I bet you catch up to me at some point).
Stefania

I think that's great. How is it exactly that you're bringing awareness to your cause, if I may ask? Fundraising, getting donations for number of miles walked? Or is it something else?

€83,-
Half Dome, you made me laugh and I forgot to answer your question. I plan on "no plan" from Pamplona to SJPP (yet). If someone wants to share a taxi I may do that or take a bus in the afternoon (I know there is one during that time of year). Once in SDC I will take a plane to Madrid and be home that day. Hope to see you along the way (I bet you catch up to me at some point).
Stefania
Ha ha. I will see if I find you. Not sure how many Km's I will be able to do on a daily basis.....God will lead me.

I am planning my third Camino, starting in September from Sevilla. I walked Camino Frances in the fall of 2011 and the second one in the spring of 2013. This time, Via del la Plata will be a challenge with fewer albergues and longer daily walks. I know it can be really hot there, but I hope it is not too hot in September. It will be exciting.

Joining the club! Im planning (with loads of help for forum members) my trip Mostly September 2014. I will probably start the last week of August but Im not sure just yet! I love to see all the couples who have been married for YEARS going together. Ill be married for all of about 5 months when we head out. ;) Some people choose a long walk on the beach honeymoon, we chose a long walk on the Camino.

See you all there!

Cheers:)

Planning on traveling in May...have to do the short version this time due to available time off. Leaving from Orlando and flying to Madrid. Would welcome suggestions on getting to Sarria. I speak fluent Spanish so I could navigate local transport if you all have some pearls of wisdom to share :)

Planning on traveling in May...have to do the short version this time due to available time off. Leaving from Orlando and flying to Madrid. Would welcome suggestions on getting to Sarria. I speak fluent Spanish so I could navigate local transport if you all have some pearls of wisdom to share :)
Hola Olivia, I too will be departing from Orlando to start my Camino in May 2014. My plans are to to fly thru Madrid then on to Pamplona and bus to St Jean PDP. I think you would be able to get a bus from Pamplona/Madrid to Sarria. Do you train hikes in the Orlanda area? The FTA has many organized hikes in the area which I participate in and they would welcome another Camino hiker to their ranks. Buen Camino Ed

I am planning to depart from St Jean PDP on May 13th, connections from Madrid-Pamplona dependant.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino Siobhan!!! Madrid to Pamplona seems to be the way to go at least today!!!
I am going horse riding for a week before the Camino, its a couple of hours out of Madrid. I'm hoping I can catch the Madrid-Pamplona train, and then, looking at the connections for the bus I may have to resort to a taxi to SJPDP, otherwise its an overnight in Pamplona and Euro wise it would probably be about the same to Taxi to SJPDP and stay the night, so I can set out that day rather than lose another day in connections...I'm a bit pushed for time, much as I would love to stop and smell the roses I can't take any more time off work :( Grrr.
If anyone is looking for a taxi share 12th May I'm all for it. :)

I am going horse riding for a week before the Camino, its a couple of hours out of Madrid. I'm hoping I can catch the Madrid-Pamplona train, and then, looking at the connections for the bus I may have to resort to a taxi to SJPDP, otherwise its an overnight in Pamplona and Euro wise it would probably be about the same to Taxi to SJPDP and stay the night, so I can set out that day rather than lose another day in connections...I'm a bit pushed for time, much as I would love to stop and smell the roses I can't take any more time off work :( Grrr.
Not enough time can be a killer for anyone. I will not be pushed for time so I plan on a day in Pamplona, then one in SJPDP before I set off on my Camino...Buen Camino!!!

Might it be a better idea to go horse riding after your camino? As a rider, I know the possibility of a fall, that could put a stop to your camino before it had even started!

Might it be a better idea to go horse riding after your camino? As a rider, I know the possibility of a fall, that could put a stop to your camino before it had even started!

I have thought about the logistics of that but it leaves me having to carry my riding gear on the Camino, and the ride dates don't fit in with the time I can get off work, I'm already having to take a portion of unpaid leave which I can't really afford. Accidents happen, as much as I could twist an ankle on the Camino meaning I can't ride, I just have to take it as it comes. Unfortunately I have to travel from Australia, which eats into holiday time.

Stefania

Have you found any good flight deals from SDC to Madrid? :)

Flights are pretty expensive no matter which way you go. I am going to wait till the new year then just book my flights. Hopefully they will be more reasonable. Ed

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be in the class of 2014 although I have walked before in 2010. Busy planning and checking out all the latest posts. 2010 was a wonderful experience and I hope it will the same or better in May -June 2014.

Feliz Navidad peregrinos!

Talking about airfares, we figured that the earlier we buy the cheaper the tickets are. We bought our tickets Toronto to Madrid a month ago for our flights in March - April.
We have found that the closer you get to the travel day the tickets go up. That is why it is so expensive to change flight dates; they add the difference between what you paid and the price of the ticket at new travel day (plus a fixed fee for changing dates).

I suggest to check this info with a travel agent.

I was planning to return from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid via train or bus but I have not planned anything. A quick browse thru the internet tells me there are trains and buses every day from Santiago to Madrid for 50 to 80 Euros. I think I will wait until I get (or if I get) to Santiago to find a way back to Madrid. We should not have any problems (I hope).

Hi I am heading back in April to finish my 2013 walk. Hopefully Burgos to Santiago :)

Good evening frasert and welcome, fellow spring walker. May the weather be kind to us both.

Last week I booked my flights with Lufthansa for a low price to Porto / Potugal. I'll go to Portugal on september 1st and will start the Camino Portugues an sept. 2nd. After arriving in SdC I will ride by bus to El Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles back to SdC. From there I will continue walking to Finisterre again, maybe first to Muxia (from Hospital) and than down to the end of the world and if I have time enough I will walk back to SdC. Than a ride by bus back to Porto and a flight back home. I'll leave Portugal on october 3rd. So I have more than 30 days for the complete pilgrimage.

Hello, all! I am making Attempt Number Two from Vézelay in September. I ended up injuring my right knee going down the Alto de Perdon last April, and now need to do all of my hiking with knee braces. I still bless the doctor in Pamplona who was so gentle in letting me know I needed to go home. :)

Still, I am very much looking forward to trying again!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are walking from SJPDP starting 16th May 2014 - but in truth we started our journey in July this year - good walking all

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Stefania

You never know you may catch us as we are planning to enjoy the walk and take many stops to soak in the beauty of the Camino we do not intend to race to see how fast we can do it - we have planned several rest days along the way as we want to enjoy the walk and not over exert ourselves - we have given ourselves 6 weeks to do the walk but we have taken 10 weeks just in case we are delayed along the way as I am easily distracted by history, food, culture - many times I have gotten lost while walking in cities because I saw something interesting - but I have always managed to find my path again - sounds like our lives we get lost and then find our path again - so Des and I will maybe see you and say hello

Larry

Great plan. Buen Camino.

Stefania

You never know you may catch us as we are planning to enjoy the walk and take many stops to soak in the beauty of the Camino we do not intend to race to see how fast we can do it - we have planned several rest days along the way as we want to enjoy the walk and not over exert ourselves - we have given ourselves 6 weeks to do the walk but we have taken 10 weeks just in case we are delayed along the way as I am easily distracted by history, food, culture - many times I have gotten lost while walking in cities because I saw something interesting - but I have always managed to find my path again - sounds like our lives we get lost and then find our path again - so Des and I will maybe see you and say hello

Larry

Hello friends! I'm excited about walking my first camino, (Camino Ingles from Ferrol) starting the first week of June 2014. I read that northern Spain is like my current home in Portland, OR. Looking forward to any sort of weather (rain, sunshine, snow?!).

Hello Honeyguide38,
Welcome to the forum.
Looking forward to any sort of weather (rain, sunshine, snow?!).
That's a great attitude to have, have a good time planning your June walk.
Buen Camino
Colin

I'm coming from Seattle, honeyguide, and they are absolutely correct. There's more humidity in some places (since we have our Pacific coastal breezes) but Navarra in March was just like home between the rain and the mist. :)

My first Camino was back in May 2012 starting in SJPDP to Santiago in 28 days... This was inspired by the movie "The Way" and I enjoyed every step both good and bad.... (Blisters on Blisters due to my feet getting wet from the rain)
I've felt so very lost since I've been back... So in May 2014 I will be back to enjoy the sights I missed the first time around, I'm so looking forward to it...
I will be bringing a very good friend of mine with me for a taste of the peace and tranquillity of the Camino with a view to returning on a regular basis.
Starting with a weekend in Burgos to enjoy another tour of the Cathedral then the bus onto Leon to start our Camino to Santiago and onto Finisterre...

Buen Camino

Bryan :)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.