• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2014

Hello friends! I'm excited about walking my first camino, (Camino Ingles from Ferrol) starting the first week of June 2014. I read that northern Spain is like my current home in Portland, OR. Looking forward to any sort of weather (rain, sunshine, snow?!).
Hello honeyguide,

Welcome,

Buen Camino and,

enjoy this forum and the great people you'll meet here.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Will be flying out of Washington DC to Paris on April 29. If my train connections work out correctly, I will be in SJPdP on the morning of May the first. I'll walk the first half of the Camino (Sahagun, if plans go as planned), and then meet my wife in Barcelona.

Not familiar with the group. Any info is welcome. ¡Gracias!
Hola Olivia, Here is a link to the meet up group that the Florida Trail Association Central Fla chapter uses. Please go to this link, sign up (it's free) then you can see and join in on the Winter Wednesday hikes. Let me know if you have any troubles with this. The first hike is this Wednesday Jan 8th. Hope to see you there.
Ed
http://www.meetup.com/Florida-Trail-Association-Central-Florida-Chapter/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unfortunately, I am a weekend hiker. I still work, thus the short camino for me. My time off is still limited. I will keep up my urban hikes during the week as this new year begins and now that my boots have arrived. Very excited :)

Unfortunately, I am a weekend hiker. I still work, thus the short camino for me. My time off is still limited. I will keep up my urban hikes during the week as this new year begins and now that my boots have arrived. Very excited :)
There are weekend hikes as well..........

Hello Class of 2014, it looks like I will have plenty of company in September when I join the Camino. I am considering flying into Bilbao and spending a few days acclimating and traveling to San Sebastian where I plan to begin and join the Camino Frances at Pamplona. I am walking alone, so my main concern is walking the 80+ km from San Sebastian to Pamplona. All advice is welcome and my plan is very flexible. I plan to buy my plane ticket in March and I am beginning to get supplies together and begin training as weather permits. I work 10-2 hr shifts on my feet, so I am at least not totally out of shape. Fortunately, I live in an area with plenty of state parks and places to hike, not to mention just getting out and walking around the lake. I am going to get hiking shoes first so that I have time to figure out which ones will work for me, as I have high arches and a bit of arthritis in my feet and knees.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello All,
My name is Michael, I am from Devon, England and plan to walk the Camino Frances September/October 2014. 'Solo but in the company of others'. Planning, prep and prayer are well underway to fly to Biarritz 4th September. Best wishes and success to Pilgrims every where whatever your pilgrimage. Stay well and live long. Michael

Hola Michael,
Welcome to the forum,
...'Solo but in the company of others'...
Great way to approach it.
Enjoy your time of preparation, feel free to ask questions if you feel the need.
Buen Camino
Colin

Hi all,

After lurking around the forum on and off for a number of years now (yes, that long!), I have finally joined up today. I think it took me so long as I am great at making plans, but not so good on the follow through...so whilst I said I was going to walk the Camino, and I intended to, I never really trusted that I wouldn't just find an excuse to back out. And I didn't want everyone here to witness that if I did. So I finally joined today, as I feel at last that I am fully committed to this, and won't let myself down by letting another plan fall by the wayside! I bought my flights a few months ago, but still didn't trust that I would actually walk the Camino - I am quitting my job and travelling on after I finish my Camino, so at that point it still felt like I might change my mind at any time and just holiday in Spain instead. But I have slowly been starting to buy my gear, and yesterday I bought two hiking poles, and it was that that finally made this feel like a reality!

So, all going to plan, I will start the Camino Frances (hopefully from SJPdP, as this has always felt like the starting point for my Camino, but maybe Roncesvalles - I am overweight, and unfit, so uncertain of my ability to get over that mountain in the first two days of walking), in early April! I have no set plan for how long I will take, only that I fly out of Madrid mid June - so I will take it very easy at the start, and if it takes me that whole time to walk to SdC and on to Finisterre and Muxia, that is fine. And if I walk quicker than that, then I get bonus holiday time in Spain :)

Hope to see some of you on the path!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola MissPixy_A,
Welcome to the forum, though sounds like you've been here for a while, that's OK, many people observe for a while before joining in.
...I will start the Camino Frances....
April 2014 sounds like a great time to walk the Camino Frances, and from my experience the poles will come in handy along the way.
Don't worry too much about the first couple of days, and don't be overly concerned about walking from SJPP, it's a beautiful walk, particularly if the weather is good.
Feel free to ask questions regarding things you're not sure of.
Buen Camino
Colin

Hola MissPixy_A,
Welcome to the forum, though sounds like you've been here for a while, that's OK, many people observe for a while before joining in.

April 2014 sounds like a great time to walk the Camino Frances, and from my experience the poles will come in handy along the way.
Don't worry too much about the first couple of days, and don't be overly concerned about walking from SJPP, it's a beautiful walk, particularly if the weather is good.
Feel free to ask questions regarding things you're not sure of.
Buen Camino
Colin

Thanks Colin! The walk from SJPdP does sound very beautiful - part of the reason I would really like to start there...plus I like the idea of walking from border to border in Spain. And as I mentioned, it just feels like the start of my Camino. But I will see how things turn out - I'm determined not to let myself get caught up in things having to be any particular way - so if I have to start at Roncesvalles, that will be OK too.

There is so much amazing info on this forum, and it has answered so many of my questions/concerns already...but I'm sure I will have some more questions of my own before I go!

:) Pixy

Hi all, I'm starting my first Camino in early May 2014. Walking from SJPdP to Burgos with my son and from there onwards by myself or should I say with all the pilgrims on the road!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There will be other pilgrims, and you are unlikely to have to walk alone unless it is by choice. You and your son might well have met other pilgrims you are walking with before he departs, when it would be natural to continue walking with them.

Hi dma14,
Welcome to the forum.
....or should I say with all the pilgrims on the road!...
Yes, and by the time you get to Burgos, with a number of new friends as well.
Buen Camino
Colin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be landing in Madrid at 9:30 a.m. on May 1. What would be the best way to get to SJDPdP. I believe that I make my way to T4. It may be too early in the year for a train and may need to take a bus. Can I plan on a one day trip or will it take two.
I will be celebrating my 65th birthday on my Camino and will be traveling solo. I would like to stay at Orrison and an unsure about a reservation. Thanks inn advance for any and all help.

No doubt many pilgrims will lose weight, but that is a poor reason for not making reasonable preparations for the walk, particularly if you are overweight or technically obese. You just put a lot more strain on your body carrying the extra weight. If you can take off a few of those excess kg, you will be much more comfortable from the outset.
Have to agree Doug, I had three goes to get to the top of Kilimanjaro - on the 3rd go I was 10 kilos lighter than at the finish of the second attempt. There is a saying about boots and weight (something like 1 KG on your feet = 5 kg on your back - may have the figures wrong) but anyway I reason that the less weight your legs, feet and back are carrying at the start the better you will enjoy the Camino. Buen Camino and Happy New Year to all pilgrims.;)

Marjm007, the bus from Barajas airport (Madrid) T4 to Pamplona takes 5 or 6 hours, some have more stops. You have to check the bus schedule for May 1. I think you have a good chance to make the bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles which leaves at 6 pm and runs only once a day. Again you will have to check the schedule for May 1. You would be in Roncesvalles shortly after 7 pm. From there the only way I know to get to SJPP is by taxi.
But again, bus schedules change for the winter so by May they may be different.
I am going at the begging of March and my plane gets into Madrid at 12:30 so I will not get to Pamplona until 7 pm, too late for the bus to Roncesvalles. I will have to spend the night and next they there

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Marjm

I found more info for you

T4 Airport)-Pamplona / Barajas T4 Airport) – Madrid

http://www.independentrip.com/en/bus-and-train/madrid-madrid-barajas-t4-airport-pamplona

Time:4.30h - 6.50h

Price:29.46 € - 34.32 euros

Frequency (per day):8-16

Note. There are enough buses that you can just go to T4 and get into the next one.

Artieda Autocares

http://www.autocaresartieda.com

HORARIO DE INVIERNO (Desde el 1 de sept. hasta el 30 de junio) - This is winter schedule

Pamplona - Roncesvalles

- Lunes-viernes: 18:00 h (Monday to Friday, there is also a morning bus on Saturday)
Salida de la EstaciĂłn de Autobuses de Pamplona
C/ YangĂĽas y Miranda, 2 Pamplona (Centro ciudad)

- El trayecto tiene una duraciĂłn de 1 hora y diez minutos aproximadamente. (takes 1hour and 10 min)
- El precio es de: 6 euros / pasajero (price = 6 Euros)
- La venta de billetes para los pasajeros se realizará en la Taquilla única de la Estación de Autobuses. (You cannot reserve tickets, you have to buy them at the bus station)

Good luck and Buen Camino!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello Class of 2014, it looks like I will have plenty of company in September when I join the Camino. I am considering flying into Bilbao and spending a few days acclimating and traveling to San Sebastian where I plan to begin and join the Camino Frances at Pamplona. I am walking alone, so my main concern is walking the 80+ km from San Sebastian to Pamplona. All advice is welcome and my plan is very flexible. I plan to buy my plane ticket in March and I am beginning to get supplies together and begin training as weather permits. I work 10-2 hr shifts on my feet, so I am at least not totally out of shape. Fortunately, I live in an area with plenty of state parks and places to hike, not to mention just getting out and walking around the lake. I am going to get hiking shoes first so that I have time to figure out which ones will work for me, as I have high arches and a bit of arthritis in my feet and knees.
Hi there .... I'm also starting in September. Flying to London 3 September and hope to start walking 7th Sept ... starting from Roncesvalles or Pamplona (depending on time). Good luck with your training ... hope to see you there. Cheers, Trish.

Hello Everyone I am planning on Via Francigena Lousanne to Fidenza Sept 2014

and If I fall across some extra funds somehow..a cheeky trip to Spain to re walk SJPD to leon in May 2014 would be nice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2014?
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .
Joe, my wife and I are doing the same as you this September. I think we are the close to the same age and we also are working on our fragile bones. We walk daily 4-5 miles with extended walks of 14 miles. We find this all helpful. Have you found any web site that are helpful for us newbe?

Joe, my wife and I are doing the same as you this September. I think we are the close to the same age and we also are working on our fragile bones. We walk daily 4-5 miles with extended walks of 14 miles. We find this all helpful. Have you found any web site that are helpful for us newbe?

Jabaldo , Your walking regime sounds solid . Haven't done any 14 milers yet but getting alot of walking in with full (10% body weight) backpacks . Trying to pace ourselves some as we don't want to case injury before we go .

As far as website to help newbies?.. Oh Yes I have , The Camino Forum. :) You won't find a better place then this right here

Hope to see you on the Trail!

Hi All!
I am officially declaring my plans for late May 2014. I don't have my ticket yet, but I am aiming for around the 20th. Coming from Oregon USA. I will probably start in Pamplona (want to ease in slowly and not aggravate an old foot injury). I am excited to meet great people, walk every day and have the space and time. I have been following this forum for almost a year and am so grateful for all the wonderful info. Once I have my ticket I will post the date. Now my focus will be walking a lot, and adding money to the tin on my shelf that says CAMINO FUND. Yay!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:
Buen Camino
Arn

I have been searching the forum for a "Class of 2014" page couldn't find one so I took charge :lol: Ivar , if somehow I missed the 2014 page please feel free to delete this.. but first let me know where it's located. With that said ...

Hi , I am Joe from Springdale Arkansas. Laurie and I are in training for our trek from SJPdP to SdC ,scheduled to leave Sept 2014 for our 35th Wedding Anniversary ( was May but seems Oct has less rain?) . Counting the many days until that time. Walking much up hill & down holler to get our bones tuned up and leg muscles primed.

I want to thank you Ivar for this forum , been lurking here for a few weeks now with just a few postings to test the waters. a Tremendous wealth of information .

I am hoping that some one can help me with flight suggestions. We will be departing the USA from Boston MA this September and flying to ????. Any suggestions. I have been looking for the least expensive and found Air Turkey as well as Icelandic. Any suggestions as to where to fly. There are many routes. Fly to Madrid, Paris, UK, etc. Not sure where to fly to and which entry is the best.

I am hoping that some one can help me with flight suggestions. We will be departing the USA from Boston MA this September and flying to ????. Any suggestions. I have been looking for the least expensive and found Air Turkey as well as Icelandic. Any suggestions as to where to fly. There are many routes. Fly to Madrid, Paris, UK, etc. Not sure where to fly to and which entry is the best.

Where are you starting your Camimo?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi All!
I am officially declaring my plans for late May 2014. I don't have my ticket yet, but I am aiming for around the 20th. Coming from Oregon USA. I will probably start in Pamplona (want to ease in slowly and not aggravate an old foot injury). I am excited to meet great people, walk every day and have the space and time. I have been following this forum for almost a year and am so grateful for all the wonderful info. Once I have my ticket I will post the date. Now my focus will be walking a lot, and adding money to the tin on my shelf that says CAMINO FUND. Yay!!!!
Hi Audge!
I am from Michigan and will be arriving in Pamplona on May 21 sometime mid to late afternoon (my start is in SJPP). After that I am uncertain of my pace/progress (I will have been with a group from SJPP to Pamplona so I know my schedule up to then ; )
I am so excited too! This is a first for me and I am really looking forward to meeting lots of people and seeing lots of Spain. Hope to see you along the way. I will be wearing my Forum patch on my backpack.
Stefania

I want to start in SJDPDP but it is not easy to get there and may cost me an extra day.

I only have 40 days including my travel to and from the US.

Any input on Pamplona, Roncevalle or SJDPDP as a start place. I arrive in Madrid on May 1St. Will there be good transportation? I would like to go by train to Pamplona but the schedule isn't posted here. Also, Will the pass be open on the Neopolean route? Opinions anyone? I am turning 65 on the way so may not be the fastest pilgrim out there.

From Joe > Jabaldo , Your walking regime sounds solid . Haven't done any 14 milers yet but getting alot of walking in with full (10% body weight) backpacks . Trying to pace ourselves some as we don't want to case injury before we go .

As far as website to help newbies?.. Oh Yes I have , The Camino Forum. attachFull7660 You won't find a better place then this right here

Hope to see you on the Trail!

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-8_21-32-49.png
    upload_2014-1-8_21-32-49.png
    95 bytes · Views: 18
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
a very warm welcome to all future peregrinos. we, the camino community in this forum, are here to help you in any ways possible. no question is ever too stupid to
ask. there will always be someone here who either have the experience or the knowledge to answer your question.

good luck on all your plannings. que tengan un buen camino. y que dios os bendiga.

Last edited:
September 10th, 2014, approximately. Still not 100 % certain, but getting closer. Ideally I would start from SJPDP again, but I may not be able to free up enough time to walk that far. We will see.

I will be making my first pilgrimage May of 2014 on the Camino Frances starting from SJPP. I actually first learned of the Camino during a Rick Steves travel show and have dreamed of doing it ever since. My wife recently watched "The Way" and wants me to do the trip...alone!

Backdrop...I am 41 years old and am a Police Officer in Washington State. My wife and I have three teen age boys with the youngest being severely disabled. In a perfect world, my wife would walk with me but having a disabled child makes it impossible to be gone that long. She has seen the desire in me to become a pilgrim and is my strongest supporter.

I have not hammered the exact dates out, but will begin in May and will follow loosely John Brierley's 33 day plan from SJPP to Santiago.

I have already begun to save up my vacation time and cannot wait.

Hi RodeoJones.
We are not to far off in current geographical location and travel plans . . . I'm from Chilliwack, BC . . .
I'm planning on the Northern Route, somewhere mid-late May start, from Irun. It will be my first Camino also.
I am somewhat familiar with the environment as I used to live in Northern Portugal, and the landscapes look quite similar, as likely are the people going to be . . .
Good luck with all the prep for the trip. You will have a blast !
I'd be interested in hearing from you which travel route you decide to take to get to the starting point of your pilgrimage.

All the best and Buen Camino !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Fellow Pilgrim's
After reading your posts I was able to make a decision and book my travel to SJPP. My wife and I will be departing from Boston this September 10 via Reykjavik Iceland. Our plan is a few days in Reykjavik and then on to Paris where we plan on training to Bayonne and then SJPP. Should be in SJPP by the 14th and start our walk on the 17th.
I am so looking forward to this walk for many personnel reasons, one of which is to meet like minded people from all over the world.
Buen Camino to all the new friends we meet along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi RodeoJones.
We are not to far off in current geographical location and travel plans . . . I'm from Chilliwack, BC . . .
I'm planning on the Northern Route, somewhere mid-late May start, from Irun. It will be my first Camino also.
I am somewhat familiar with the environment as I used to live in Northern Portugal, and the landscapes look quite similar, as likely are the people going to be . . .
Good luck with all the prep for the trip. You will have a blast !
I'd be interested in hearing from you which travel route you decide to take to get to the starting point of your pilgrimage.

All the best and Buen Camino !

I just sent out a general post; I have booked travel plans today. My wife and I will be departing from Boston to Reykjavik then onto Paris. Our plans are to enjoy the experience and to live each moment as best we can. We are not in a hurry for we are both retired and want to make the most out of the Camino. We will spend a few days in Reykjavik and then from Paris train to Bayonne and onward to SJPP. We are not stopping in Paris for we have been in Paris more times then I like to think about. We will be spending a few days in SJPP before we start our Camino. Our current plans are to start on September 17.
Take Care

Hello All:

I'm glad to find this thread. I will be making my first pilgrimage in September of this year to celebrate my sixtieth year on the planet. Not exactly sure of the starting date, leaving SJPP around the middle of the month and planning to arrive in Santiago in early November. I'll post more in the weeks to come. Hope to meet some of you on the Way.

Hello All:

I'm glad to find this thread. I will be making my first pilgrimage in September of this year to celebrate my sixtieth year on the planet. Not exactly sure of the starting date, leaving SJPP around the middle of the month and planning to arrive in Santiago in early November. I'll post more in the weeks to come. Hope to meet some of you on the Way.
Hi there ... hope to see you on the way. I'm walking first/second week of September. I will be slow so you will probably pass me! What a great way to celebrate your 60th. Good luck with your training. Cheers, Trish.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there ... hope to see you on the way. I'm walking first/second week of September. I will be slow so you will probably pass me! What a great way to celebrate your 60th. Good luck with your training. Cheers, Trish.
Thank you Trish! I'm excited about the trip! Look forward to meeting many fellow pilgrims!

Jerry

6th July and we are walking :)
SJPP and onwards but ours will be a piecemeal approach as can only get ten days per year when the grandparents can look after our children :(
So will we do our first stage this year and then continue from where we finished in 2015 !!! We will get to the end and I really didn't want to just do the last stages
Getting excited and hope it wont be too busy in July but luckily we will also get to see the bull running in Pamplona and are looking forward to seeing northern spain

Hello everyone! Holla!

My first post! Yay!

Totally new with all of this....BUT I'll start by saying, myself, my mom and two sisters are doing the Camino in March 2014 (almost go time!) - so we are joining the class of 2014. I have soo many questions, dont know where to start!!

We are booking our tickets this week, and sorting out our visas.

Will it be raining then? it seems the weather will be okay to go?

Hello Fellow Pilgrim
I can not answer your post for I know not what you are asking. I am also new to the Camino and will be starting my adventure this September 2014. All I can say from everything I have read and that has been a lot is enjoy every minute even the rain, they are God's tears for you.

Hello All:

1. taozenqi We are only a few months apart in age and looks like we are starting our first camino in the same location and time, so hope are paths cross. PS - JT is definitely coming along!
    A moment agoEditDeleteReport
    Comment

Will it be raining then? it seems the weather will be okay to go?
Long range weather forecasts are notoriously difficult! I normally suggest you look at one of the climate sites like http://www.climatemps.com/. You can scroll into the map and click on the little pointer icons for a summary from that location of average temperature and precipitation. Some summaries will contain more detail than that.

What you will find as a very general pattern is that the driest months are Jul/Aug, with a little more precipitation in Jun and Sep and then the bulk of the annual precipitation spread relatively evenly over the rest of the year. So expect rain in Mar wherever you are walking. What you cannot tell is how often and how heavy the rain will be.

€60,-
Agree I look forward to meeting lots of interesting people on the way. One thing I have learned is that all this preparation is part of the way. Joining this forum, reading all the books, watching the movie for the third time, buying all the gear and now the airline tickets are all part of the way. I am so looking forward to this adventure that I keep telling my wife I will leave now and wait for her.
I have taken care of the external or logistic on what needs to be done in preparation for the 500 miles, now I need to focus on the internal. I need to do for me and get my head in the right place. I want this trek to be up lifting.
See you along the way. We start September 17,2014

I'm leaving London on 21st May, so I'm a couple of days behind you,
Buen Camino ;)

Hola Peregrinos :)

I hope this year has started off well for you all!
I have booked my tickets and will arrive in St Jean Pied De Port May 15th setting off on Camino Frances on the 16th.
I'm very excited (but also anticipating challenges) to walk the Camino and explore a little of Western Europe :) and hopefully meet some of you too!

Buen Camino :)
Marie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
. I am walking alone, so my main concern is walking the 80+ km from San Sebastian to Pamplona.

Hi, Netalford,
I cannot think of any Camino route that goes from San Sebastián to Pamplona, so I'm not sure this is a good way to
start walking. The Camino del Norte runs along the coast through San Sebastián, and the Camino Baztan goes from Irun (on the coast east of San Sebastián) down to Pamplona. But I don't think there's anything from San Sebastián to Pamplona, you would just have to follow roads and have a good map. That's not a very fun camino, IMO.

Meri

My wife (Des) and I will also be starting on the 16th we are from Sydney so we may see you on the way
Larry

Meri

My wife (Des) and I will also be starting on the 16th we are from Sydney so we may see you on the way
Larry

Hi Larry,

hello from sunny and hot Alice Springs! :) Hope it's not too hot where you are since the rest of the country is experiencing a heat wave.
Looking forward to meeting you both on the Way :)

Marie

€149,-
I'll be arriving from Australia on the 10 July. I'm leaving from Leon. Watch for me along the way!
Hey Kayci,

I'm hoping to reach Finisterre by the middle of June or thereabouts God willing so will probably miss you but who knows we may meet along the Way :)

Buen Camino! :)

I'm leaving on 21st May from London ! I can't wait. I'm walking for charity. I'd be really grateful if you could check out my story.

Hope to see you along the way.
Buen Camino ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will be landing in Madrid at 9:30 a.m. on May 1. What would be the best way to get to SJDPdP. I believe that I make my way to T4. It may be too early in the year for a train and may need to take a bus. Can I plan on a one day trip or will it take two.
I will be celebrating my 65th birthday on my Camino and will be traveling solo. I would like to stay at Orrison and an unsure about a reservation. Thanks inn advance for any and all help.

Take the bus from Madrid to Pamplona, and a van from Pamplona to SJPP, Look at the thread I posted it has the details.

Hello class of 2014,

I'm Des from Debolt, Canada and I will be coming to the Camino between May 20-25th, flying into Madrid, spending 2 days there and then making the trip up to SJPP. We will be las dos amigas que bailan que a gusta el vino. I have a fair amount of travel freedom so I'm booking the flights in a month according to the best deal I can get, will repost when I know definite dates :) Hope one of you is bringing a guitar!

His Des - my wife Des and I are starting from SJPDP on the 16th so you may catch up to us as we intend to take it fairly easily - we are from Sydney and it would be nice to meet you along the way

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Flights booked and paid for. Intending to begin the Salvador on 25 September followed by the Primitivo on 2 October and then Fisterra and Muxia on 20 October. Casi soy una peregrina. Better get into serious training now...

My April 2014 Camino trip is now booked. After two years of planning, on 1 April I fly into Biarritz from Paris CDG. Will likely be looking for taxi partners to get me to SJPdP that evening, so I can start my journey on 2 April. Can't come quick enough.

My April 2014 Camino trip is now booked. After two years of planning, on 1 April I fly into Biarritz from Paris CDG. Will likely be looking for taxi partners to get me to SJPdP that evening, so I can start my journey on 2 April. Can't come quick enough.
Hello from Colorado!
We will be just a few days ahead of you. My wife and I will be departing from SJPDP on 28March14. We have allotted 45 days, so perhaps we will meet along the way. Anyone else leaving toward the end of March? Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola Marcopesce, saludos from El Paso, TX!
God willing, we will leave SJPP on March 29th but we plan on stopping in Orisson (if they are open by then) so we should be a day or two behind you as we start out...maybe we will meet along the way!

Blessings and Buen Camino,
Alicia

Hi from New Zealand my Camino started May 2013 after reading about the Camino del Norte.
ticket now booked and we leave 16th May 2014 for Paris, travel by train to San Sebastion then start the walk to Santiago ,
so looking forward to the Camino experience , Boot & backpack purchased now counting down the days
To those pilgrims walking the northern route late May & June we look forward to meeting up with you during our adventure
Buen Camino

€83,-
Hello All,

I will be doing my Camino Sept. 2014 starting from Leon, only wish I had the time to start in SJPdP. Flying into Madrid from here in Charlotte, N.C., USA. So looking forward to this journey!

Holly
Waxhaw, NC

My wife and I will be walking the Camino also in September. We depart from Boston September 10 to Paris. We will be arriving in SJPP and starting our walk September 17. You will be ahead of us but who knows maybe our paths will cross. In the meantime have a great time preparing and getting ready for what I believe will be a ever changing experience.
Buen Camino

1. taozenqi We are only a few months apart in age and looks like we are starting our first camino in the same location and time, so hope are paths cross. PS - JT is definitely coming along!
    A moment agoEditDeleteReport
    Comment
    Hello All:

JT is coming with me as well!!!! I will be celebrating my birthday, I can't think of any better way to celebrate!!!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello All,
My name is Michael, I am from Devon, England and plan to walk the Camino Frances September/October 2014. 'Solo but in the company of others'. Planning, prep and prayer are well underway to fly to Biarritz 4th September. Best wishes and success to Pilgrims every where whatever your pilgrimage. Stay well and live long. Michael

Michael
I have found this forum a few weeks ago and find it amazing. My wife and I will be on the Camino this September starting from SJPP on the 17th. I am sure there will be plenty of people to run into and experience the Camino to it's fullest.
Buen Camino see you on the trail

Finally pulled the pin and purchased my plane ticket this week - IT'S OFFICIAL (wanted to purchase ticket sooner than later so I could use my points instead of cash attachFull7751 )!!! So I will be travelling from October 2 to November 2 to walk the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Santiago to Finisterre (managed to finagle 4 weeks off work in a row... Thanks to my great co-workers who have agreed to take on a few of my work tasks while I'm gone - those guys are the best!!).

Now, I don't have enough time to actually walk the entire way (I need 4 days just to get to start and back home) but really wanted to cross the Pyrenees. So, I've decided to start in SJPdP, walk to Roncesvalles, then bus/train (I have to find out which - this is upcoming task - suggestions welcomed) to Burgos and continue walking from there. I know I will be skipping some lovely areas but my main reason is that I did not want to walk too long before skipping as it would be difficult to leave my "Camino Family". I figured I will meet some great people during the one day walk to Roncesvalles but it will be easier to leave them behind after only one day than after several days attachFull7750

I'm soooooo excited attachFull7753 - my packing list is done (currently at 6.5 kg but looking for some lighter options to bring down to 6kg - not bad considering I need to pack some cold weather stuff), I'm taking Spanish lessons (I really like Rosetta's Stone) and training/losing weight (by the time I'm done, I will have lost more than my pack weight attachFull7752).

Buen Camino!!!

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-17_18-18-4.png
    upload_2014-1-17_18-18-4.png
    95 bytes · Views: 21
    95 bytes · Views: 20
    95 bytes · Views: 17
    95 bytes · Views: 18
Hi RDLtrekker! I know how excited you must be. I am walking my first camino May15-June27 2014 (dates incld. travel). I will be starting from SJPP and going to SDC and maybe beyond. Enjoy preparing for the trip, it is a part of the journey.
FYI, I could not read your files. Probably something I did but who knows.
Stefania

Buen Camino
Arn

Hello, I am new here. Plan to walk from SJPP to Santiago Fall 2014

Hola a todos!

I'm from California/USA but have been living in Madrid since October. I'll have to go back in October when my visa expires, but I think to finish off my time here in Spain I'm going to walk the Camino and begin on my birthday in late August! I'd really like to do the Camino del Norte and/or the Camino Primitivo, but I also would love to see some of the Pyrenees and thus would like to start in Saint Jean-Pied-de-Port and walk to where the Norte route is if I can. I know I've seen mention of this itinerary elsewhere on this forum. (However, I'm open to suggestions regarding the route I'll eventually take.)

I first learned about the Camino in 2012, when I was living in Madrid for the first time. I spent a long weekend exploring Galicia with my then-flatmate's friend who lives in Santiago de Compostela. I enjoyed the city and the other places that I saw, and it was interesting watching all the peregrinos come in. I even helped a mother-daughter duo find their way to the cathedral! I don't know why but there was just something about Galicia that made me want to come back, and I think I told myself that the next time would be on my own camino. I love long walks and hikes and it seemed like something I would do in the future. There are other reasons why I want to walk it now, but...ah, I've said 'nuff already! Forgive me for not yet reading all seven pages of 2014 peregrinos!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Barbara and I are planning to walk from Lugo, beginning about July 10, to celebrate our 40th anniversary.
I did SJPP to Santiago solo 2 years ago. Now, she wants to share a bit of the experience. And, I can hardly wait to return! Are there any forum members whose paths might cross ours?

Hello All, my husband and I will begin our walk on the Camino Frances from Pamplona on my 63rd birthday, March 1. We currently live in CT but are really from Wisconsin, having spent the last almost 30 years there. We are both active and hope to arrive in Santiago by April 3. But of course the weather could force us to hop on a bus for a section if it looks like we'll miss our return flight on the 6th. Escaping one winter for another that's hopefully milder!

Hi all,
I'm walking 2 Caminos this year. My first will be in April, 2014 - the Portugues. My second Camino will be in August, 2014 and that will be the Ingles/Finesterre/Muxia.
I completed the Frances last October and have continued training every day since I returned.
I love the Camino and will walk every year as long as I am able.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, I am new here. Plan to walk from SJPP to Santiago Fall 2014

Hello!!
I too am planning for Sept 2014!!i am in Vancouver
Senior fit and would like a companion .
Shall we correspond:))
I am new on the forum and hope I can get back here!
Lol ....lost before I even leave Canada
Hope to hear from you;)

Hello!!
I too am planning for Sept 2014!!i am in Vancouver
Senior fit and would like a companion .
Shall we correspond:))
I am new on the forum and hope I can get back here!
Lol ....lost before I even leave Canada
Hope to hear from you;)

Hi there .... welcome to this wonderful forum! You will gain such wonderful advice and support. I'm from Christchurch in New Zealand and have booked my ticket to London 3 September and plan to start walking from Roncesvalles on the 6th or 7th. Maybe we will see each other on the way. Cheers, Trish.

I have not as yet booked my flight but I will be arriving within a day or so of you .
I'm sure we'll make contact . ;)

€149,-
CanPete.
I am in Abbotsford planning for 1st week Sept 2014.
Are you going to Victoria on March 29th ?
All day seminar presented by The Canadian Company of Pilgrims.
I have details if you are interested;))

Hi all,

After lurking around the forum on and off for a number of years now (yes, that long!), I have finally joined up today. I think it took me so long as I am great at making plans, but not so good on the follow through...so whilst I said I was going to walk the Camino, and I intended to, I never really trusted that I wouldn't just find an excuse to back out. And I didn't want everyone here to witness that if I did. So I finally joined today, as I feel at last that I am fully committed to this, and won't let myself down by letting another plan fall by the wayside! I bought my flights a few months ago, but still didn't trust that I would actually walk the Camino - I am quitting my job and travelling on after I finish my Camino, so at that point it still felt like I might change my mind at any time and just holiday in Spain instead. But I have slowly been starting to buy my gear, and yesterday I bought two hiking poles, and it was that that finally made this feel like a reality!

So, all going to plan, I will start the Camino Frances (hopefully from SJPdP, as this has always felt like the starting point for my Camino, but maybe Roncesvalles - I am overweight, and unfit, so uncertain of my ability to get over that mountain in the first two days of walking), in early April! I have no set plan for how long I will take, only that I fly out of Madrid mid June - so I will take it very easy at the start, and if it takes me that whole time to walk to SdC and on to Finisterre and Muxia, that is fine. And if I walk quicker than that, then I get bonus holiday time in Spain :)

Hope to see some of you on the path!

I am also a camino virgin. Acquired a pilgrim passport today in Dublin and feel like that's my jumping off point. Booking my flights tomorrow. Starting 21st April. Easter Monday. Seems appropriate. Oh and attending a talk by John Brierley talk on Friday evening. Doesn't get better than this.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all, I'm Matt. Planning an early June Camino. I have been telling myself for several years "some day" I will do this.... That "some day" is now! Thank you for all the information provided in this forum.

Hello all, I'm Matt. Planning an early June Camino. I have been telling myself for several years "some day" I will do this.... That "some day" is now! Thank you for all the information provided in this forum.
Hola Matt,
Welcome to the forum.
Hope all goes well with your preparations.
Buen Camino
Colin

So far i think i will meet all this people on the Camino because we are going to plan it on the same period: mid april/may.

My husband and I are going mid April as well. We are from California and this will be our first time. I have been hiking and walking almost daily for a year now. Really excited about this adventure. Hope to see you along The Way!

It will be a pleaseure for me to share with you opinions and advicea on how best to prepare the way, and how to spend in the best way the 14 months that separate us from the goal. So, keep in touch!

Fabio

Hello All,
Planning Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and on to Finisterre, starting mid April. For the past year, we have been walking and hiking almost daily. We live in Northern California with fabulous trails. I will be 64 in next month (Feb). Our anticipation is building...as April approaches.

Buen Camino!

Hello JLZ!

Welcome to the Forum.

These threads hold a wealth of information to help you plan your future Camino.
Past pilgrims love to share their advice and experiences. Such sharing is a large part of the Camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it help keeps memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

MM

So excited for my first Camino! (I say this as if I already know that I will want to return again and again). The information on this forum is invaluable in planning and providing inspiration- thank you everyone!
I'm Nadine, planning a solo mid-June/July Camino, leaving from Philadelphia, PA, USA and starting in... Le Puy? I might spend a week or so walking in France, and then train down to SJPP and walk the rest of the way (fingers crossed!) to Santiago.
I'm sure I'll have many questions between now and then...

I'm Nadine,...
Hi Nadine,
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like a great plan, hope all goes well with your preparations.
Buen Camino
colin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ll be doing my second (shortened) Camino this year, leaving Burgos on 18 April and arriving in Santiago around the 9th or 10th of May. I’ll be leaving on a Jet Plane - My bag is packed and I’m ready to go :D Can’t wait! Hope everyone is well and has a fun, yet safe Camino! Cheers, Dave

Hello there!

I´m flying from Natal/Brazil to Madrid on 5th Abril and my plan is to start the Camino in León on 7th April. I´ll arrive in Madrid in the evening of 5th, I guess it´s impossible to start already in the 6th. I have to be back from Lisbon/Portugal on 20th April.

My plan is to do the Camino in 11 days.

LeĂłn - Hospital de Ă“rbigo (32km)
Hospital de Ă“rbigo - Rabanal del Camino ( 36.6km)
Rabanal del Camino - Molinaseca ( 24,9km)
Molinaseca - Villafranca del Bierzo( 30.3km)
Villafranca del Bierzo - O Cebreiro (28.5km)
O Cebreiro - Triacastela (20.9km)
Triacastela - Sarria (24.7km)
Sarria - Portoma ĂŤn (22.5km)
Portoma ĂŤn - Palas de Rei (24.8km)
Palas de Rei - ArzĂşa (28.9km)
ArzĂşa - SdC (38.6km)

What do you guys think? Is it too hard? Is it ok? Anyone interested in do it together?

Best regards

Lahyre Rosado

€149,-
My husband and I are hoping to leave some time in May of 2014 for our Camino. We plan to do the Frances from SJPP to Finisterre. I have already started to walk to condition myself somewhat but I will be 56 when we finally are able to go and I have an increasingly bum hip so who knows.

I bought poles to help with my training and I am currently on the search for appropriate shoes/boots. I bought a pair of keen hiking boots but didn't know about the +1 size up when I bought them so, while they fit, they do tend to become problematic after extended mileage ... anything after 6+ km I think my feet do indeed start to swell and my toes do contact the end of the boot ... lesson learned. I subsequently bought some nice new balance walking show 1/2 size larger than I normally get and while they are nice I am thinking they will be more useful for shorter neighbourhood walks or everyday. I am now waiting on my local New Balance store to get my size +1 more for insurance, in stock for the new Balance hiking shoe/boot. It 's little bit lower than a mid height Boot so sort of a cross between a mid height boot and a shoe and has goretex for waterproofing. Unfortunately I have rather large feet and usually get a size 10 ladies ... but I struggle to find good fitting footwear and even 10's can often be too small ... the New Balance hiking boot I am waiting for will be a size 11. I am hopeful that one will do the trick cause this is getting rather expensive!

Mystic
Thanks for the info on the New balance shoe. I have always worn NB for gym classes ,but did not know they made hiking low rise!
I will start looking .
I leave solo from Vancouver to Paris and SJPDP first week of Sept or very close to it .
Ps .i take the same size to allow for orthotics ,merino socks and a little space left. Good grief just call me big foot .Every year I take a larger size but who cares right?
Minah

Hello All,
Hello Michael
I'm an expat from London ,now Vancouver and also solo .I should be in St Jean.....
About 5/6th Sept .;)hope to see you there!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.