• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2015

Yes. You have the waist pack-based Camino kit if I recall correctly. I, and I presume many others are interested to know how it actually works for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I posted pics somewhere but here they are again. It's a Talon 6 waist belt. It has two compartments and two belt pockets. I keep my thin gloves, buff, and 38g seatosummit day bag in one of the later, the other being used for nibbles. The one compartmentt contains my emergency kit, spare phone batteries and charger (other pic). The other, larger pocket is for snacks. I normally use bars etc. during the day but if I plan a picnic I use the day pack for food. The stuff sack is securely clipped on and doesn't move while walking. It contains one complete set of clothes, a shell coat, a raincoat, silk bag liner, towel and toiletries.
20141227_134244.jpg
20141227_134330.jpg
20141227_134440.jpgcharger setup.jpg

Last edited:
Hi I am from Ireland and I'm planning to walk the Camino from St Jean to Santiago late april to end of May, its my first Camino, looking forward to it .
Hi...I'm also from Ireland and planning to walk from Pamplona to Santiago from the end of April to the end of May (Walked from SJPdP-Pamplona last summer)...Hopefully we will cross paths.

Avril :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2015?
Buen Camino
Arn
I am.

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Buen Camino
Arn

I have already booked my trip to walk the Camino Frances beginning May 20th, 2015. Starting in Leon and onward to Santiago. Hope to see some fellow peregrinos out there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello! My name's Deb, and I will be doing the Camino Frances sometime between August and October. About four months ago, I was with my husband, and had just taken my mother-in-law to church. After church, a gentleman was giving a presentation about the Camino de Santiago, and there was nothing I wanted to see less. Getting through church with Mom is always a test of the spirit, and I was ready to make our long drive back home: you see, we look after her after frequently, and between teaching high school full-time and then caring for dear Mom (who has Alzheimer's), time is at a premium.

Everyone wanted to stay for this talk, however. Ten minutes in, I was sold. I was fascinated by the photos, the hardships of the Pyrenees, the greeting of Buen Camino, the Albuerges, the bread and vino tinto, and the images of churches. It very much reminded me of the Baja Peninsula, with its old missions throughout--and of Mission Delores in San Francisco, the city where my dad was born and raised. Having lost both of my own parents in 2011 (Mom), then seven months later, Dad, the idea of laying my burden in a pile of stones was immensely appealing. From that day in church, I became fascinated. I was hooked to the computer, watching The Way, watching youtube presentations, getting fixated on boots vs. runners; Deuter vs. Osprey; merino vs. synthetic; silk liners or no; zip off pants vs. everything else, and on and on.

Having lived overseas and backpacked (not a big pack either, mind you--a small pack) through several countries in SE Asia, I knew that what sounded like fun now could absolutely translate into some hard, cold, blistered realities--and I could not quit thinking about them. At this point, I have completely put together my kit. Shoes? probably will be in Keen hiking sandals and also trail runners (Cascadia). Two shirts. Pants. Shorts. Deuter pack. Yep! I am all ready, except for the minutia (in my mind) of smaller details, such as tickets.

No problem there. I've researched that too, ha ha! (give an English teacher a laptop). I am waiting on tickets for two events that may affect my travels: first, a family member may announce a wedding for September. If that's the case, I've already figured out which two days she'll probably choose (9-12-15, which just sounds cool, or 9-19-15, which also sounds good). In either case, I'll fly out within a few days. The second technicality: my mother-in-law gets a lot of our care. If my husband can't tear himself away (sigh, but I totally get it), I will come alone. I hate traveling without him, as he is so fun to travel with! I've rarely traveled with anyone as well....and those of you who love to travel know how amazing it is to find a good partner. So. I'm hoping that he can go with! I've even found a house sitter for our two dogs, four cats, twenty chickens, five cows, and four spoiled tame ducks (who must have their corn).

Buen Camino, and hope to see you there in late September 2015!

I have planned, bought and booked, now I need for the date to get here so I quit seconding guessing myself . Didn't know I could be so excited about something ( except grandchildren and I just found out I am getting another one :) ). I am feeling very fortunate to be able to do this and am looking forward to sharing this with all of you I will meet on the journey. Buen Camino , I will see you soon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Leaving from Pamplona on June 23 with my mom.

Hello! My name's Deb, and I will be doing the Camino Frances sometime between August and October. About four months ago, I was with my husband, and had just taken my mother-in-law to church. After church, a gentleman was giving a presentation about the Camino de Santiago, and there was nothing I wanted to see less. Getting through church with Mom is always a test of the spirit, and I was ready to make our long drive back home: you see, we look after her after frequently, and between teaching high school full-time and then caring for dear Mom (who has Alzheimer's), time is at a premium.

Everyone wanted to stay for this talk, however. Ten minutes in, I was sold. I was fascinated by the photos, the hardships of the Pyrenees, the greeting of Buen Camino, the Albuerges, the bread and vino tinto, and the images of churches. It very much reminded me of the Baja Peninsula, with its old missions throughout--and of Mission Delores in San Francisco, the city where my dad was born and raised. Having lost both of my own parents in 2011 (Mom), then seven months later, Dad, the idea of laying my burden in a pile of stones was immensely appealing. From that day in church, I became fascinated. I was hooked to the computer, watching The Way, watching youtube presentations, getting fixated on boots vs. runners; Deuter vs. Osprey; merino vs. synthetic; silk liners or no; zip off pants vs. everything else, and on and on.

Having lived overseas and backpacked (not a big pack either, mind you--a small pack) through several countries in SE Asia, I knew that what sounded like fun now could absolutely translate into some hard, cold, blistered realities--and I could not quit thinking about them. At this point, I have completely put together my kit. Shoes? probably will be in Keen hiking sandals and also trail runners (Cascadia). Two shirts. Pants. Shorts. Deuter pack. Yep! I am all ready, except for the minutia (in my mind) of smaller details, such as tickets.

No problem there. I've researched that too, ha ha! (give an English teacher a laptop). I am waiting on tickets for two events that may affect my travels: first, a family member may announce a wedding for September. If that's the case, I've already figured out which two days she'll probably choose (9-12-15, which just sounds cool, or 9-19-15, which also sounds good). In either case, I'll fly out within a few days. The second technicality: my mother-in-law gets a lot of our care. If my husband can't tear himself away (sigh, but I totally get it), I will come alone. I hate traveling without him, as he is so fun to travel with! I've rarely traveled with anyone as well....and those of you who love to travel know how amazing it is to find a good partner. So. I'm hoping that he can go with! I've even found a house sitter for our two dogs, four cats, twenty chickens, five cows, and four spoiled tame ducks (who must have their corn).

God willing, my wife and I, she is also an English teacher, will have completed the Camino by the 3rd week in July of 2015. I share your excitement!!!!! You sound just like me. I too have been obsessed with everything Camino and have already read almost 10 Camino books and watched endless youtube videos and am constantly researching/testing gear and walking/hiking. I can't wait. God bless and Buen Camino!!!

To walk the camino was a goal that sat proudly on my '30 things to do before I'm 30' list for almost 5 years! My 30th birthday came and went in 2014 and although I did spend the day in Spain (in Barcelona), I wasn't ticking this goal off the list. Therefore I moved this great feat onto my life bucket list and I'm pleased to say that I'm heading to Spain to experience my first camino in April/May 2015 (hopefully the first of many!). Due to time constraints I'm walking from Ponferrada this time around, but hope to tackle the rest and other routes in the years to come.
I'm a keen runner and my camino is happening right bang in the middle of training for my first marathon (June 2015), so perhaps you will see me running some of the way! Either way, I'm sure the walking and hills will complement my training.

Looking forward to the trip and looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims along the way.

Buen Camino Class of 2015

Sarah

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
God willing, my wife and I, she is also an English teacher, will have completed the Camino by the 3rd week in July of 2015. I share your excitement!!!!! You sound just like me. I too have been obsessed with everything Camino and have already read almost 10 Camino books and watched endless youtube videos and am constantly researching/testing gear and walking/hiking. I can't wait. God bless and Buen Camino!!!

Oh, thanks so much for your note back! I am excited for you two, that you are going to get to go in June, probably right after school gets out. I wish I could go then, and that's when I would go except for the fact that I'm retiring, and some other things going on.....I really hope I can get my husband to go, but so much depends--for him--on how his mom (who has Alzheimer's) is doing.

Hello all,
I'm planning to walk my first camino (Frances) summer 2015 with hopes of being in Santiago by or before July 25. I'm from Iowa, USA and would like to know if anyone else is looking to go around this time. Would be great to have some amigos before even leaving!

My wife and I are planning on starting from St Jean on June 18th. We already have flights booked back to Barcelona on July 24th. So, we will have to be through by then. We are from Georgia, USA. Maybe we'll cross paths!

I have booked my flight to Biarritz Airport arriving Friday April 24! I haven't decided if I should spend one or two nights in St Jean. Hoping to walk to Santiago in 43 days. In 2012 I walked approx 450 km of the Camino Frances. It was much harder than I was expecting and with travelling from Canada, the flight home was already booked. I will be doing a lot of hill climbing getting ready this time.

I can't wait to meet all the pilgrims as they pass me on the trail!

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Buen Camino
Arn
I am from Ohio, USA and am starting my camino from SJPDP in May, 2015. I have booked my flight and arrive in Paris on the 5th of May and will train to SJPDP. I intend to walk to Santiago in 30-35 days.

I am a little nervous but also super excited.

Buen Camino!

I am from Ohio, USA and am starting my camino from SJPDP in May, 2015. I have booked my flight and arrive in Paris on the 5th of May and will train to SJPDP. I intend to walk to Santiago in 30-35 days.

I am a little nervous but also super excited.

Buen Camino!
Buen Camino, may see you on the journey.

My wife and I are planning to walk the Camino in May/June 2015, we are from Sydney and have started preparing for our walk now - we want to ensure that a weakness in our body does not affect the wonder of the Camino. Like others we have started on short walks I did the Sydney City to Surf (only 14kms) and found it a relaxing walk - but we will build up our distances - hope to see you on the trail

Larry and Des
Buon Camino

I live in Forster NSW and may be walking CF at that time too

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone!

I just joined today, as I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances in July/Aug of this year. I would love to do Le Puy, but since I have not walked a Camino yet, I figure I'll start with something a little busier. I do speak French, so Le Puy will be next one.

..., as I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances in July/Aug of this year. I would love to do Le Puy, but since I have not walked a Camino yet, I figure I'll start with something a little busier. I do speak French, so Le Puy will be next one.

A word of caution, July / August are the busiest months on the CF and with busy I mean, really, really busy, overcrowded, people going up insanely early to race to the next albergue to secure a bed and so on. I walked the Le Puy Route last September and it was still busy, at least until Concques, then things quietened down a bit.

If you only have time in July/ August I personally wouldn't recommend the Camino Frances, have a look here http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/ to see pilgrims distribution throughout the year.

Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Botafumeiro
Botafumeiro1.jpg

The Botafumeiro (literally ‘smoke spreader’ in Galician) is one of the most famous and popular symbols of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. This is a huge censer that swings up the aisles of the Cathedral through a pulley system pulled by eight men named tiraboleiros. It weighs 53kg and measures five feet. It is suspended from a height of 20 metres and can reach a speed of 70 miles per hour.

The Botafumeiro is used for liturgical purposes (in the same way as a priest would normally incense the altar) on the following Feast Days:

• The Epiphany of the Lord – 6 January
  • Easter Sunday
  • The Ascension of the Lord
  • The Apparition of the Apostle – 23 May
  • Pentecost Sunday
  • The Martyrdom of Saint James – 25 July
  • Assumption of the Blessed Virgin – 15 August
  • All Saints – 1 November
  • Christ the King
  • Immaculate Conception – 8 December
  • Birth of Jesus – 25 December
  • Transfer of the body of the Apostle – 30 December
The Botafaumeiro may be used on other occasions when groups arrange this.

A word of caution, July / August are the busiest months on the CF and with busy I mean, really, really busy, overcrowded, people going up insanely early to race to the next albergue to secure a bed and so on. I walked the Le Puy Route last September and it was still busy, at least until Concques, then things quietened down a bit.

If you only have time in July/ August I personally wouldn't recommend the Camino Frances, have a look here http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/ to see pilgrims distribution throughout the year.

Buen Camino, SY

I am not worried about crowds or business, but I am totally limited to July/August. I am a teacher. I wouldn't mind doing Le Puy, but I'm way nervous doing that alone for my first Camino. If the albergues are busy, at least I know that I won't be walking alone! Haha

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Botafumeiro
Botafumeiro1.jpg

The Botafumeiro (literally ‘smoke spreader’ in Galician) is one of the most famous and popular symbols of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. This is a huge censer that swings up the aisles of the Cathedral through a pulley system pulled by eight men named tiraboleiros. It weighs 53kg and measures five feet. It is suspended from a height of 20 metres and can reach a speed of 70 miles per hour.

The Botafumeiro is used for liturgical purposes (in the same way as a priest would normally incense the altar) on the following Feast Days:

• Easter Sunday
  • Pentecost Sunday
  • Christ the King
Thank you for the information. Buen camino.

The Botafumeiro
Botafumeiro1.jpg

• Easter Sunday
  • Pentecost Sunday
  • Christ the King

Hi falcon269,

Do you know if it's also used every Friday for 1930 mass? My wife and I will arrive in Santiago on Friday, March 20, 2015 and we were really hoping to view this. I read that somewhere that it was.

Thanks!

Ron

Do you know if it's also used every Friday for 1930 mass?
Last summer they used it at the Friday evening mass, but I have not seen a commitment for the upcoming year.

BOTAFUMEIRO SCHEDULE
Every Friday in 2014 from April 1 to December 31 and after the 19:30 mass Botafumeiro works as part of the offering of the Pilgrim, thanks to the collaboration between the Cathedral, the City Council, the Consortium of Santiago, the chamber of Commerce and Hospitality Association Compostela ..

They do have it on the calendar starting April 1 every Friday here:

http://www.horariosbotafumeiro.com/?l=en

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just tallied days until departure.....100. Oh, it's gonna go fast now!

Last summer they used it at the Friday evening mass, but I have not seen a commitment for the upcoming year.

BOTAFUMEIRO SCHEDULE
Every Friday in 2014 from April 1 to December 31 and after the 19:30 mass Botafumeiro works as part of the offering of the Pilgrim, thanks to the collaboration between the Cathedral, the City Council, the Consortium of Santiago, the chamber of Commerce and Hospitality Association Compostela ..

They do have it on the calendar starting April 1 every Friday here:

http://www.horariosbotafumeiro.com/?l=en

I've seen the Butifumero being swong a few times a day, just about every day, if not every day. This was in the fall of 2013.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I are planning to walk the Camino in May/June 2015, we are from Sydney and have started preparing for our walk now - we want to ensure that a weakness in our body does not affect the wonder of the Camino. Like others we have started on short walks I did the Sydney City to Surf (only 14kms) and found it a relaxing walk - but we will build up our distances - hope to see you on the trail

Larry and Des
Buon Camino
Hi Larry and Des,
Am also from Sydney and planning to do my walk in Sept 2015. Am slowly building up my distances but not doing too much in the summer heat. Like yourselves, I want to be in good shape come Sept.
Buen Camino!
Mariyam (Turramurra NSW)

Hello! I am planning to arrive in SJPdP at the end of May, and hope to start walking by the 30th/31st. I have been letting the Camino sit in the back of my mind for a few years now, and it feels like this year is the best time to walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am not worried about crowds or business, but I am totally limited to July/August. I am a teacher. I wouldn't mind doing Le Puy, but I'm way nervous doing that alone for my first Camino. If the albergues are busy, at least I know that I won't be walking alone! Haha
I, too , am a teacher and will be walking in mid-July. I'm a bit nervous about the crowds and finding a place to sleep each night, but there's not much I can do about it. I think THIS is my Camino - practicing not worrying about things I cannot control. Relaxing into it. At the end of the day, crowds or not, it will be the experience I have -- and I'm really looking forward to it!
Buen Camino!

Jan again, joining the class of April 2015...on foot this time

Hola Anna,
I still get excited to read posts from fellow Hoosiers especially those from Indianapolis. What side of Indy did you come from? I live on Oxford behind Glendale. A couple of pilgrims just started the Hoosier chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino (APOC) & tomorrow we will walk the Broad Ripple canal to Butler then back. Of course that's nothing compared to walking from SJPP to Santiago but it's a good start. It's been cold (40's) & raining all week here so it's fine with me walking that short distance.
Buen Camino!!
Remy
Hello IndyRem. So sorry for not responding to your post until now! As you can see, I'm not a 'regular' on this site!

I grew up on the near North side of Indy, in a neighborhood just behind the Humane Society on Michigan Road (once a road I rode my bike on but wouldn't dare now!). I attended Pike High School. I know precisely where you are behind Glendale. We used to shop their! Small world.

Have you completed a Camino since May last? I'm gearing up for my Camino with my twin nieces this June, and I've still not settled on a route for them! We're doing just the 100K, and they've never done anything like this (they will have just turned 13 before we leave), so I want the experience to be challenging and yet rewarding (not too aggravating)! I'd love to hear what you've been up.

Take care, and may all your Caminos be blessed!

Anna

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello! I plan to walk El Camino Frances in June of 2015, starting in SJPdP, right after I graduate from high school. I first heard about the Camino two years ago, and I just knew that I had to do it. I am new to this forum, but I've been doing a lot of research, and I've already learned a lot! I am so thrilled to be a part of this journey.
Buen Camino!
My twin almost 13-year-old nieces & I are walking a 100k Camino right after they get out of school in June, too. Not the Frances, however. I want them to have a more "remote" experience! Wish we were seeing you along The Way :)

Have a wonderful Camino. I am already guessing before this one is one you will be planning your next. It gets in your soul.

Bom Caminho!

Anna

I was planning to walk later in the year, but have decided to start just before Palm Sunday in Paris, then on to Auxerre and Vezelay. Still wondering if I should trek down to Le Puy via Cluny, or take the Vezelay route.

My wife Linda and I are starting from SJPDP on June 18th. We can't wait! We are from Georgia, USA and are arriving in Barcelona on June 15th. We hope to see you guys on "The Way".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow @Al the optimist I'm surprised - knowing your obsession with having the smallest pack. It's usual for me to only take two sets of clothes - one on, one off. I'd be happy with only one but I'm too modest to hang around naked while my clothes dry.

Good move @SunnyT - we managed a wrong turn on the Aubrac Plateau and the weather there can be very harsh.

The non-refundable air tickets have now been purchased so I can't change my plans. Phoenix to Madrid, April 15 returning June 3 - total of 7 weeks which should be enough if all goes well. I will arrive Madrid April 16 and bus or train to Pamplona. Then hope to do the Corizon Puro transfer from Pamplona, overnight at Corizon Puro then transfer to SJPdP. And those are the only plans I have at this time. In mid April the weather could be good or bad so I'll wait until I arrive in SJPdP and see what route is recommended by the pilgrim office.

If I go the Valcarlos route and wish to stay in Valcarlos will I need reservations?
Laura

My wife and I will be out there again this year - Leon to Santiago during the first half of June.

130 days to go ....... and counting! :)

Excitement = already high. Waiting time = excruciating.

Apparently, all good things come to those who wait .......... :D

My iPad countdown app says it's 90 days, 20 hours, one minute and forty seconds before we leave 23 April on an Etihad flight from Johannesburg, South Africa, bound for Madrid via Abu Dhabi. From Madrid it's a train ride to Bilbao (to see the Guggenheim, a pilgrimage in itself) and on to Lourdes, and then, ta da! it's walk, walk, walk, 900km all the way to Santiago, arriving 11 June, Inshallah.

We're following a bit of an unconventional route at the start - from Lourdes we're trundling south past the Portalet pass, and then on to Jaca and the Aragones route. So about a third of the route should be quiet before we join the pilgrim masses at Puente de la Reina.

Been following lots and lots of discussions here on preparation. We're seasoned hikers so know the basic drills that accompany long walks, but obviously there are lots of tweaks necessary for this kind of outing. Here are a few prep decisions we made.

1. Walk on average seven days, stay one day in the most interesting places on the route. I've just read too many messages that said 'wish we'd taken it slower'.

2. Keen Durand (what else?) boots for me, Salomon Speedcross shoes for her.

3. A three month Spanish course, starting in two days' time. Taking lessons from a fully tattooed Jewish chap who's also a gym boffin and plays the saxophone. Something tells me El Camino is going to be interesting...

5. Both of us carrying Osprey backpacks. Mine's definitely an overkill at 88 litres but I use it for general hiking and going to buy one specially for this trip seems unnecessary (I may live to regret this...). Everything I take will probably fit into one side pocket. Means I can take home more souvenirs ;).

6. Half the time staying in albergues, the other half own rooms, the latter mostly towards the (busy and more crowded) final stretch of the route. And a night or two in a Parador as a treat. Also, booking ahead. Why? On trips we tend to get side-tracked a LOT which means arrive at the stopovers late. Like, really late.

7. Packing iPhone loaded with Google Earth and KML route maps, mostly for the early sections that may not be well marked. But also because after a certain age, getting lost isn't romantic anymore.

8. The weather averages say it'll rain about 40-50% of the time on the road, so we're gearing up for that very, very well. Almost as well as we're preparing for blisters prevention with hi-tech plasters, fancy socks, space age bandages, you name it, we'll have it.

9. Because the tradition dictates, I'm taking a walking stick along but will probably toss it on day two. I never hike with a stick, I find it to be a nuisance. Very contrarian I know, but there you go.

10. Buffing up on Spanish history, to try and get a handle on the local psyche.

In a few days' time we'll have the pilgrim passports in hand, and then it's off to the Spanish embassy for two Schengen visas, por favor.

And then we're off...

Last edited:
I will be walking the Primitivo this year. I will fly into Madrid on 23 May, spend a day in Madrid, then take the train to Oviedo. I hope to start walking on Tuesday 26 May. I intend spending initial time getting used to the heat as I will be flying in from the cold Southern Hemisphere. I hope to walk about 5-20 kms a day.

I will be walking the Primitivo this year. I will fly into Madrid on 23 May, spend a day in Madrid, then take the train to Oviedo. I hope to start walking on Tuesday 26 May. I intend spending initial time getting used to the heat as I will be flying in from the cold Southern Hemisphere. I hope to walk about 5-20 kms a day.

Hello docpam,
We might cross paths, I could be leaving from Oviedo on the 27th depending on how my walk from StJPDP to Burgos beforehand works out.
Buen Camino

Hello docpam,
We might cross paths, I could be leaving from Oviedo on the 27th depending on how my walk from StJPDP to Burgos beforehand works out.
Buen Camino
Hi John
Two years ago I spent a few days in Burgos. Be sure to visit the Museum of Evolution. Well worth the visit. Has labels in English and Spanish.
Best wishes
Pam

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We are returning for our third time, starting at Pamplona and seeing how far we can cover in two weeks, this time there will be no pre booking or luggage transfer. Training underway with pack packs

The non-refundable air tickets have now been purchased so I can't change my plans. Phoenix to Madrid, April 15 returning June 3 - total of 7 weeks which should be enough if all goes well. I will arrive Madrid April 16 and bus or train to Pamplona. Then hope to do the Corizon Puro transfer from Pamplona, overnight at Corizon Puro then transfer to SJPdP. And those are the only plans I have at this time. In mid April the weather could be good or bad so I'll wait until I arrive in SJPdP and see what route is recommended by the pilgrim office.

If I go the Valcarlos route and wish to stay in Valcarlos will I need reservations?
Laura
Hi Laura, Could you please tell me a bit about the Corizon Puro transfer from Pamplona , and then the next transfer to SJPdP please? Is that taxi or bus or train? and how does one book it?

Buen Camino
Arn

Class of 2015 Aug 9th. Just in the beginning, planning stages, contemplating whether to book rooms ahead. Thoughts and ideas? I would like to have the piece of mind , I will have a roof over my head but I'm not picky.

Hello Deb!
I was a 'class of 2014' two years ago in the pilgrim introductions and so relate to you in ways - the age of in-between. When parents (or in-laws) need our help and proximity and when we want to be available for them (and in my case, just finally getting used to being a happy empty nester, too). Somehow the past when we imagined our future selves becomes the present and presents itself a bit differently :) It's a fine time for you to take this long walk and I hope that your husband might be able to do all or a section of the Frances with you.
I waffled on the idea of any companion; husband or friend. In the end, I decided to walk solo, which was right for me this past summer. I hope to return again with my husband!
The whole idea of replying to your post was to support you, and here I am, babbling away about my camino - my wish for you is that one day in the future, you'll feel as I do... lurking about this wonderful forum and lending camaraderie to those who follow in the footsteps you leave on Spain!

Buen Camino, Deb!

contemplating whether to book rooms ahead
That is the subject of a lot of discussion! Yes, for SJPdP; it will give you a focus on arrival. There are reasonably priced hotels and chambres d'hote, and some of the gites will take reservations. The gite operated by the Pilgrim Office does not take reservations, but often has vacancies. If they are full, they will help with last minute accommodations, but it can get expensive.

After SJPdP, it is a mix of places that do not take reservations and ones that require reservations. For example, if you drop into the albergue in Orisson, you are likely to find it full. The large albergue in Roncesvalles takes some reservations, but most of the rooms are first-come, first-serve. The hotels in Roncesvalles are usually fully booked at the busy times. A few miles past Roncesvalles, dropping-in will be more successful.

Municipal and parochial albergues do not take reservations, but some of them have the reputation of "authentic pilgrim experience." I am not sure what that is! It may mean little more than mats on a dusty floor and cold water plumbing. Usually it means that the reported experience comes from someone who was with a friendly group, or a place with hospitaleros with a welcoming attitude. At Granon, it means lentils for dinner...

Reservations lock you into a destination, so making them more than a day or two in advance can make you cover distances that are bad for you. Hence, I would recommend reservations in SJPdP, and play it by ear after that (unless you are sure you want to stop in Orisson, only two hours after SJPdP).

Buen camino.

Hello, I was wondering if someone can advise of mobile communication in Spain? Can UK visitors stay with their current data plans with their provider; is it cheaper and easier to buy a mobile phone with credit in Spain to make calls; and is it possible to buy a SIM card with data plan. Just wondering what's been the best way to go about doing this. Thank you.

Hello, I was wondering if someone can advise of mobile communication in Spain? Can UK visitors stay with their current data plans with their provider; is it cheaper and easier to buy a mobile phone with credit in Spain to make calls; and is it possible to buy a SIM card with data plan. Just wondering what's been the best way to go about doing this. Thank you.
Don't know about UK but it looks cheaper to buy the phone in Spain and get sim card coming from US. I don't know about such things but my oldest son is researching it for me and will get what I need. I still think phones should have a rotary dial, lol. I will let ya'll know what I find out. He said it could depend on your carrier.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
He said it could depend on your carrier.
It may depend more on your phone than your carrier. You need at 3 band GSM to be able to insert a SIM chip. I started with an unlocked Motorola Razr. Then I had an unlocked iPhone 2, then an iPhone 3, and now an iPhone 5. All were unlocked (very important), so I purchased a SIM chip, and the mobile clerk set me up (be sure he sets English as the default language, or you won't be able to read your phone information!). The chip is virtually free now, and comes with 10-20E of credit. That can last a whole camino, or you can top it off at a lot of retail outlets, tobacco stores, supermarkets, cell phone stores, etc. You will have a Spanish phone number, which you can relay to friends and family for emergency contact. Depending on the phone, you can get a data plan for internet connection when there is no WiFi. For overseas phone call, purchase a call plan from your Spanish SIM supplier, or buy some sort of 1-800 service. I have found those to be quite unsatisfactory. The credit disappears in connect charges even though the call-per-minute is quite low. I may not have found the right provider.

It may depend more on your phone than your carrier. You need at 3 band GSM to be able to insert a SIM chip. I started with an unlocked Motorola Razr. Then I had an unlocked iPhone 2, then an iPhone 3, and now an iPhone 5. All were unlocked (very important), so I purchased a SIM chip, and the mobile clerk set me up (be sure he sets English as the default language, or you won't be able to read your phone information!). The chip is virtually free now, and comes with 10-20E of credit. That can last a whole camino, or you can top it off at a lot of retail outlets, tobacco stores, supermarkets, cell phone stores, etc. You will have a Spanish phone number, which you can relay to friends and family for emergency contact. Depending on the phone, you can get a data plan for internet connection when there is no WiFi. For overseas phone call, purchase a call plan from your Spanish SIM supplier, or buy some sort of 1-800 service. I have found those to be quite unsatisfactory. The credit disappears in connect charges even though the call-per-minute is quite low. I may not have found the right provider.
Thank you, I will get this information to my son to help in our decision making. Some way I will get this all together before I head out. :). If I don't, it will still be alright. Thank you again. Stephen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I begin my Camino June 12th~ish 2015, from SJPDP. Flying from San francisco to Madrid, busing to SJPDP via Pamplona. I can hardly think about anything else! I keep thinking about all the people I will meet along the way. Thanks to those who share their experiences and advice here. It is greatly appreciated.

Hello Class of 2015!

I'll be walking from SJPDP to Finisterre & Muxia in May & June 2015 ~ I have seven weeks to complete my journey. I'll be flying in from Canada to Paris somewhere around May 8-10th. Paris to SJPDP - fly/train or train/train ?? -Haven't made that decision yet. I'll get back to Paris from SdC via Hendaye ~ this looks to be an inviting layover spot! The only other real decision I've made so far is to break up my first few days by stopping in Orisson.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all ! If anyone is looking for a train/plane buddy.. let me know.. safety in numbers !

Buen Camino
Cari

Hi Cari. I am planning my trip in September 2015. Saw you are from Canada. What part? I lived in Alberta for 15 years
Hi Cari,

I'm also from Canada (Hamilton), am flying to Paris on May 9. Will be taking the train to Bayonne on the 10th, staying overight ther, and booked Refuge Orisson for the next night. I'll fly back to Paris from Santiago on June 19. Glad to hook up for the train trip if you also come in on the 10th. If not, it still sounds like our paths might very well cross somewhere along the way. See you on the Camino!

Jan

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Bobby!
I have a ticket from Vancouver to Paris on May 9th and will most likely be starting my walk from SJPDP on May 10th. I had originally thought to fly home via Paris, but changed my mind and will be flying thru Madrid instead.
Buen Camino
Hi Cari,

Just saw this. I'm also Canadian, from Hamilton. Looks like we will both be arriving in Paris on the 10th. From what I understand of the train schedule, there's only one train to Bayonne on Sunday and it doesn't leave until the afternoon so I booked a hotel room in Bayonne and go on to SJPP morning of 11th, hiking up to Orisson that day. The hotel where I'm staying in Bayonne is called Hotel de la Gare. We can arrange to meet up at Montparnasse station if you like. I'm planning on visiting the impressionist museum nearby while I wait.

Jan

Buen Camino
Arn
Hi I will be starting my first Camino on April 26, 2015.

Today I booked my flight From Dublin to Biarritz Airport for the 16th April and the start of my first Camino, looking forward to it even more now. :)Buen Camino

Hello
I'm shirley from southern Oregon. I'll be 61 and walking solo from SJPdP and hopefully on to Finisterre / Muxía, in May/June 2015. I was really excited to see this thread come alive this soon. I began walking regularly in August of 2013. I bought a Fitbit and was hooked on the amount of steps/miles I was walking each week. Later I joined a local hiking club through Meet-ups. (A nationwide site where people get together in their local areas for just about anything). On one of my hikes I met a woman who said she was doing the Camino. I didn't have any clue what that was until I googled it that evening. The more I researched it the more I felt the drawl. Now I'm hooked. I'm looking on the forum everyday. I watched "the way", lots of YouTube and am learning a wealth of information on this forum. Thanks to all the pilgrims before me for sharing your experiences. I look forward to getting to know the 2015'ers and meeting up with you all on the Camino
Hi Shirley. I am from Beaumont, Alberta. My husband and I also plan to walk in May and June ,we fly to Paris the 12th and start
Walking the 15th. hope to meet up.

€83,-
Hello Class of 2015!

I'll be walking from SJPDP to Finisterre & Muxia in May & June 2015 ~ I have seven weeks to complete my journey. I'll be flying in from Canada to Paris somewhere around May 8-10th. Paris to SJPDP - fly/train or train/train ?? -Haven't made that decision yet. I'll get back to Paris from SdC via Hendaye ~ this looks to be an inviting layover spot! The only other real decision I've made so far is to break up my first few days by stopping in Orisson.
Hello Class of 2015!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all ! If anyone is looking for a train/plane buddy.. let me know.. safety in numbers !

Buen Camino
Cari
Hello Class of 2015!

Buen Camino
Cari
Hi Cari. From Alberta and flights booked to Paris for the 12th,arrive am of the 13th and will train it to SJPDP and start on the 15th.

Buen Camino
Cari

[Q UOTE="DurhamParish, post: 225864, member: 19040"]Good idea. I did that and enjoyed my stay there. Be sure to make a reservation.[/QUOTE]
Hi Cari. I am fr. Beaumont, Alberta . Tickets booked,leaving May 12th to Paris,arrive 13th am, and then train the rest
We want to spend 2 nites in SJPDP and start the walk the 15th,stay over nite in Orisson first nite. Hope we meet up.

Hi All,

I'm going to walk part of the CF from Pamplona to Burgos starting May 17th, I walked from SJPDP to Santiago back in 2012 and have been longing to return, it's a shame that work gets in the way of walking to SDC :-( still 10 days is better than non...

I'll be meeting up with my nephew and a couple of his friends in Pamplona as they are walking from SJPDP on their 1st Camino so I need to get back into training :)

Buen Camino
Bryan :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow @Al the optimist I'm surprised - knowing your obsession with having the smallest pack. It's usual for me to only take two sets of clothes - one on, one off. I'd be happy with only one but I'm too modest to hang around naked while my clothes dry.
Too much detail sheila! It's not that I want the smallest pack, I just want to minimise the weight my ageing old frame has to carry! Still have a clicking knee from a 2013 injury after we got lost and had to jump a ditch and now the heel spur. :( So compromises necessary. Anyway I look forward to making it again this year (well at least starting) as long as my heel behaves reasonably well. It was OK walking around Barcelona this weekend. Yes, I know that's not the same, but it is a start. :)

My turn, folks. Flights just booked: Vancouver to Toulouse May 11. Planning to start walking the Camino from St. Jean around May 16. I now understand the excitement you've all been talking about! And nervousness! Speaking of which, I think I need to start training ...

My turn, folks. Flights just booked: Vancouver to Toulouse May 11. Planning to start walking the Camino from St. Jean around May 16. I now understand the excitement you've all been talking about! And nervousness! Speaking of which, I think I need to start training ...
I'll start my camino on May 16 also. Is good to know other members of the forum are going to be there! I'm sure we are going to coincide at some point on the Camino. I'll arrive to barcelona May 14 and hope I can be at SJPDP by May 15 so the 16 I can start mi camino a Santiago.

I'll start my camino on May 16 also. Is good to know other members of the forum are going to be there! I'm sure we are going to coincide at some point on the Camino. I'll arrive to barcelona May 14 and hope I can be at SJPDP by May 15 so the 16 I can start mi camino a Santiago.
Have fun! You can enter your dates in the Camino Calendar available in the top bar. You can also see the dates for other Members there. Buen camino.

OK I am going to weigh in on this thread, though I am not heading to Santiago in this instance ;-) In April I will be walking for ten days on some of the pilgrimage routes of St Francis near Assisi. (And this time my luggage will be carried for me, and my accommodation booked.) I have had a brief few hours visit to Assisi once before, and when I walked up the hill behind the town it honestly seemed to me like St Francis could appear around the next corner at any stage, feeding some of the animals... I am looking forward to this walk very much.
Margaret

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Depart Burgos 17 or 18 April depending on jet lag!
Have only 19 walking days which may be tight so may skip a few days ( any suggestions on three or four stages to skip between Burgos and Leon) probably early on so I can still form a Camino family for arrival in SDC.
The other option is start Leon or Sahagun and then walk on to Finnestere and have a more relaxed time
Thanks in advance

Fraser

... The other option is start Leon or Sahagun and then walk on to Finnestere and have a more relaxed time
Thanks in advance

Fraser

That would be my suggestion: Available walking days x 20km = distance to start from Santiago (including the odd rest day. Buen Camino, SY

Hello friends! Can anyone provide me with a detail list of what I should have on my camino. I have a lot of articles already but if any of you have a list that I can fallow to make sure I don't forget anything it will be really appreciated! Thank you

Hello friends! Can anyone provide me with a detail list of what I should have on my camino. I have a lot of articles already but if any of you have a list that I can fallow to make sure I don't forget anything it will be really appreciated! Thank you

The better way round might be actually that YOU write on this forum what you want to take and WE tell you what you can leave at home ;-) Buen Camino! SY

My packing list:
--One 32-L Deuter backpack, with a mesh suspension back so I don't get sweaty!
--A long-sleeve merino shirt, blue
--a short-sleeve merino shirt, turquoise blue
--zip-off legs pants (quick dry)--guys, with lots of pockets and zippers to lose stuff, ha ha!
--black quick dry Nike booty shorts, bc I can--and I can sleep in them too
--black yoga quick dry pants
--three pair merino socks, and three pair sock liners
--two jog bras, perhaps three
--Really great rain jacket (an REI motility jacket, with hood, pockets, underarm zips
--a good poncho for rain
--a pack cover is built into my Deuter
--medications: thyroid stuff, aspirin, allergy (can't avoid: prescriptions)
--Either Cascadia trail runners OR Salmonson trail runners OR Vasque boots. Can't decide. Have all three. Also have lighter Merrels and Keen hiking shoes. Yep. I do like me some outdoorsy shoes. Help me decide? I'm caminando in October primarily.
--Trail hiking sandals: Keens. Kinda heavy, but my feet are kind of messed up and I want the option.
--a buff for hair, neck warmer, etc. Also I need to cover my eyes when I sleep, or my eyelids get cold and I can't sleep! Yeah, weird, huh?
--chapstick
--I-phone with charger/converter
--I pod-like device (need music on occasion---sorry. It's my camino, and I love music so much)
--Brierly guide---prolly. Not sure. I just got another guide that is rather fascinating...
--a spork
--credit cards, money, photocopies of documents

SOOOOO.....my friends. Got any advice for an old lady?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Splashed out the princely sum of £34 on the train ticket to Paris last night. Travelling on July 23rd; leaving St Jean on the 24th. Coming back is a bit of a challenge. Even now the tickets out of Santiago are nearly £200, so looks like I might get the train to Madrid and fly from there and save myself the best part of a ton.
Now all I have to do is lose about 2 stone in weight and buy all the stuff I'll need.

@AugustCaminodeb Ok, here my thoughts to some of your points:

two bras is enough
take those shoes that you are most comfortable with and that are waterproof
don't forget sun cream and foot cream
You might want to scan the guide(s) you own and take them so in electronic form (there are advantages/disadvantages doing it either way)
soap, make sure it is one soap that can serve for body, hair and clothes
shorts or yoga pants, both together might be overkill
I am also missing sun hat, and a warmer fleece jumper plus possibly a pair of gloves in your list

Hope that helps, Buen Camino!

@AugustCaminodeb Ok, here my thoughts to some of your points:

two bras is enough
take those shoes that you are most comfortable with and that are waterproof
don't forget sun cream and foot cream
You might want to scan the guide(s) you own and take them so in electronic form (there are advantages/disadvantages doing it either way)
soap, make sure it is one soap that can serve for body, hair and clothes
shorts or yoga pants, both together might be overkill
I am also missing sun hat, and a warmer fleece jumper plus possibly a pair of gloves in your list

Hope that helps, Buen Camino!

Thanks, SY!

--suncream and foot stuff, definitely
--still trying to figure out what I really need for my i phone--I do love an actual book, to be honest
--soap= good point
--avoiding the hat, as I hate wearing them, but will get. I have a turquoise and a black fleece I'll take, for sure!
--I have a good pair of light gloves, and glove liners. I'll consider one or both.

THANKS!!!!

Buen Camino
Arn
I arrive Madrid on the morning of April 14 and will make my way to SJPD by the end of the day if it all works. Just recently retired and went from very busy to not so much. Important for me to have something to look forward to I've found over these last months and the Camino (amongst other reasons) is now that for me. Pretty organized I think and I can't wait to start....

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.