• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2016

I've got my pilgrims passport, booked my flights and my first nights accommodation in SJPdP on April 12th 2106. I will be setting off on the 13th. I'm doing it solo as my wife has concerns about sleeping with more than one snoring person at a time, whether she can get her washing dry and rumours about bed-bugs. I've bought a lightweight rucksack, sleeping bag and working out how little I can manage with given how far I am going to have to cart it. I'm debating whether drilling holes in my toothbrush or cutting it in half is the best way of weight reduction in that area;)!
I've been retired almost two years and I want to make the most of life now I've got my freedom. Since reading Tim Moore's book (Spanish Steps) where I first heard about the Camino, I've had constant hints and reminders about it which has led me to make the decision that I too must make the journey.
The big debate I am having with myself (toothbrush weight reduction aside) is whether to overnight in Orrisson and spend a few hours in the morning at SJPdP having a mooch round.
I've found the Forums here an invaluable source of information. Thank you to everyone of you who make the effort to educate and inform us first timers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just booked my flight to Pamplona for July 2016. I have 40 days to go as far as I want and linger where I want. Tentatively planning to take every detour, avoid Briarley stages and continue walking onto Finisterre and Muxia. Only God knows. Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Hi Leigh, you will love the detours and Finisterre. And when you be there you have to walk to the lighthouse.
Wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Attachments

• 20140527_110906.jpg
    20140527_110906.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 1
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2016?
Buen Camino
Arn

Hello fellow pilgrims! I will be walking the camino (starting in SJPdP) this March! I am looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you along the way! Buen camino.
Sarah

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good to see 2016 off to an early start. Thank you William.
We hope to make our deferred 2014 Camino (Inglés) in 2015. Reading the Kiwi-family posts (and others) about the Camino del Salvador is making us think about aiming for that route in 2016.
Like others of about our age we have decided to keep walking for as long as possible. Not ready to make more than tentative plans yet but the Camino del Salvador does call. So here we are as possible members of the Class of 2016 and trusting for good health etc.
Having walked the north coast from Ribadeo to San Andres de Teixido and then Ferrol to Santiago last year (May 2015) we are partial walkers this year. There are so many places that we have had to miss seeing on previous Caminos, because they made the daily distance too long, that we are bringing the car. Then we plan to walk sections of the Norte and Primitivo taking in the places of interest which we missed, either on foot or by car. So only partial members of the 2016 group, but still pilgrims at heart.
One of the deciding issues was having to pay to go into the Cathedral in Oviedo, even to visit the chapel, which is not how we would want to finish a Camino, so no Camino Salvador for us sadly.
Buen Camino to all.

I've got my pilgrims passport, booked my flights and my first nights accommodation in SJPdP on April 12th 2106. I will be setting off on the 13th. I'm doing it solo as my wife has concerns about sleeping with more than one snoring person at a time, whether she can get her washing dry and rumours about bed-bugs. I've bought a lightweight rucksack, sleeping bag and working out how little I can manage with given how far I am going to have to cart it. I'm debating whether drilling holes in my toothbrush or cutting it in half is the best way of weight reduction in that area;)!
I've been retired almost two years and I want to make the most of life now I've got my freedom. Since reading Tim Moore's book (Spanish Steps) where I first heard about the Camino, I've had constant hints and reminders about it which has led me to make the decision that I too must make the journey.
The big debate I am having with myself (toothbrush weight reduction aside) is whether to overnight in Orrisson and spend a few hours in the morning at SJPdP having a mooch round.
I've found the Forums here an invaluable source of information. Thank you to everyone of you who make the effort to educate and inform us first timers.
Hi Gareth, I also will be stepping out from SJPP on the 13th April and staying at Orrison overnight. I too have read and enjoyed Tim Moore's 'Spanish Steps' (you've got to love Shinto), but the book that first inspired me was written by two Australian authors, 'The Year we Seized the Day'. I read this nine years ago and was hooked! Now it's only nine weeks until I start my Camino, see you out there :)

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Buen Camino
Arn
Hello,

New to this site and will be first Camino. I am planning on starting around March 20th but have not decided which route to take. I will be walking alone and having some concerns over the route from Leon as I have read some accounts of female walkers being attacked and one pilgrim's murder. Seeing this will be my first, I don't know much. I was also thinking that I may start in SJPP since it seems like the route would be more popular although I would really like to finish my walk in Santiago. I only have about 8-10 days of walking and wanted to be able to walk in the country side rather than pavement or actual roads.

1. If I started in SJPP what would be a reasonable route and finish for being able to walk for 9 days? I am in excellent shape and walking would not be a problem.

2. What is the route starting from SJPP like, is it mostly regular roads or hilly country side?

Any thoughts on Leo Spain route for 1 female?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the forum @incipientinquiry . If you have a limited number of days and would like to finish in Santiago one of the other shorter Caminos might be good. The Camino Inglés was my first. Starting from Ferrol it can be walked in 5 or 6 days, depending on where you stop overnight; or longer if you make more breaks. You could check out the section on the Camino Inglés and then decide if it suits you. The link below my post here gives my time on the Inglés in 2011.
Whatever you decide - Buen Camino

Welcome to the forum @incipientinquiry . If you have a limited number of days and would like to finish in Santiago one of the other shorter Caminos might be good. The Camino Inglés was my first. Starting from Ferrol it can be walked in 5 or 6 days, depending on where you stop overnight; or longer if you make more breaks. You could check out the section on the Camino Inglés and then decide if it suits you. The link below my post here gives my time on the Inglés in 2011.
Whatever you decide - Buen Camino
Thank you Tia!
I checked out the Camino Ingles route and it looks promising. What would be the weather like in later March on that route?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Tia!
I checked out the Camino Ingles route and it looks promising. What would be the weather like in later March on that route?
I would expect it to be warmer then inland, especially the higher areas such as O Cebreiro where there could still be snow. We have only walked in May so others may be able to answer better. Where-ever you walk it is good to plan on dressing in layers and to have good waterproofs. Trails could be muddy and we prefer low ankle-boots to shoes, but that is our choice even for May.

I am walking the Camino starting in April. Flying back home on 13 May 2016 so hope to see alot, and meet alot of people.
Hi, you will see a lot and will meet lots off other pilgrims along your journey.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen Camino
Arn
Will be walking my first Camino leaving from Burgos on May 31st.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If all goes according to plan I start from SJPP in late April! .. All by my lonesome and I have never walked these kind of distances. So, both scared and happy! I bought my hiking shoes some days ago and we are getting to know each other, walking around together up mountains and along country roads.

Hi Gareth, I also will be stepping out from SJPP on the 13th April and staying at Orrison overnight. I too have read and enjoyed Tim Moore's 'Spanish Steps' (you've got to love Shinto), but the book that first inspired me was written by two Australian authors, 'The Year we Seized the Day'. I read this nine years ago and was hooked! Now it's only nine weeks until I start my Camino, see you out there :)
I'm out in Spain at the moment on the Costa Blanca but have looked up your recommendation on Amazon and it looks like I'll be ordering it when I'm home. I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm still debating the Orrison option.

Hello fellow pilgrims! I will be walking the camino (starting in SJPdP) this March! I am looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you along the way! Buen camino.
Sarah
Hi @GypsyTraveler! I'm heading out March 15th from SJPdP, maybe we'll cross paths on the way! It's getting close!!!!!! YAY! Buen Camino!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Still no flights booked, but I ordered a towel and a sleeping bag off Amazon yesterday. Hopefully they'll do well. :) I needed to buy something to feel like I was really doing this! Hoping for a seat sale soon, so that I can book that and then book Orisson and maybe SJPP. :)

I can't wait. I'm flying out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada on May 27th, landing in Paris on the 28th. I'll be catching the first available train for St Jean. I have 5 children and we are expecting our 6th grandchild. I've had a rough 2015 and can't wait to walk my first Camino. My families supportive but likely getting tired of all my talk and planning.

Still no flights booked, but I ordered a towel and a sleeping bag off Amazon yesterday. Hopefully they'll do well. :) I needed to buy something to feel like I was really doing this! Hoping for a seat sale soon, so that I can book that and then book Orisson and maybe SJPP. :)
Hi Tina, when you want to stay at the albergue Orisson don't wait to long to prebook. This depends of course at wat time you want to begin your journey.

Hi Tina, when you want to stay at the albergue Orisson don't wait to long to prebook. This depends of course at wat time you want to begin your journey.

Thanks! I'm just waiting on flights, I can't really book until I know when I'll be there. ;)

Hi all.

I will be doing my first camino in September and chose the Camino Primitivo. I can´t wait to be honest and am counting the days. At the moment I am breaking in the boots and bought bags and other things already. This forum really helps and makes me want to go immediately but work won´t let me.

Buen camino a todos.

My wife and I are planning to travel the last 200 km of the Camino Frances in May 2016. We've thought about it for a couple years, but had planned to walk the 500 km from SJPdP. To do that, we would have to wait another 8 years until retirement as I have a job that requires my presence about 10 days every month. Instead, we have chosen to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary by completing the last 2 segments. The planning has already begun and I am appreciating all the information I come across in this forum. Our biggest worry is getting trained for the climbs, as where we live is flat as a pancake for miles in all directions.
Hi I live in a very flat county of Norfolk uk so I was also slightly apprehensive about the terrain. best advice is listen to your body, change walking socks during the day, eat/drink plenty, and don't get frazzled by the early morning exodus from the Albergues. I walked the Frances last year and am doing more in May 16..... I've got the bug !!!!
Buen Camino

Hi everyone, looks like I will get to be part of the Class of 2016. I hoped to walk the Camino back in 2008 but time wasn't on my side then, but this is the year! I finally have the chance. I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances starting in Pamplona in early April, though I considered starting in SJPdP, I am a bit nervous about starting off with the Pyrenees! I've done some mountain-walking but never by myself... would love people's thoughts on whether it's any good for a first-timer.

Hi everyone, looks like I will get to be part of the Class of 2016. I hoped to walk the Camino back in 2008 but time wasn't on my side then, but this is the year! I finally have the chance. I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances starting in Pamplona in early April, though I considered starting in SJPdP, I am a bit nervous about starting off with the Pyrenees! I've done some mountain-walking but never by myself... would love people's thoughts on whether it's any good for a first-timer.
Hi Felicidad I started in St Jean last May and only managed part of the Pyrenees as far as Orrison, which I had pre booked. However I was able to get a ride to Ronsavelles the next day with the luggage courier for 15€ which enabled me to continue from there. Give it a go or start after the mountains.
Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Felicidad I started in St Jean last May and only managed part of the Pyrenees as far as Orrison, which I had pre booked. However I was able to get a ride to Ronsavelles the next day with the luggage courier for 15€ which enabled me to continue from there. Give it a go or start after the mountains.
Buen camino

Thank you Sue for your helpful post! Worth knowing there is transport if I can't make it.

Starting from Roncesvalles on Easter, 2016. Have been wanting to do this for 25 years!! Never could find anyone to go with me (several backed out) but now am comfortable going alone. VERY excited!!

The forum has been a GREAT help!! Thank you everyone -- and I hope I meet some of you on the Camino!

I am leaving Oviedo on Friday 29th April for SdC. This route new to me this year. Not going to make many plans - just go with the flow, although sadly I do have to fly home on 14th May.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My families supportive but likely getting tired of all my talk and planning.
that seemed to occur very quickly with those around me (except for a few folks) but that's okay, I just zip the lip and talk to people on here! I imagine if someone I was close to was getting ready to partake in some adventure that I wasn't "tuned in to" I might get a little bored with their constant references to it...so I understand ~ but it's just so darn hard not to talk about it!!!:p

Hi all.

I will be doing my first camino in September and chose the Camino Primitivo. I can´t wait to be honest and am counting the days. At the moment I am breaking in the boots and bought bags and other things already. This forum really helps and makes me want to go immediately but work won´t let me.

Buen camino a todos.
Hi Michael, the training and buying your walking equipment is a great feeling.
After that you know that you will go on a wonderful journey.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€83,-
I'm praying my Camino still happens. As I've shared earlier, I was diagnosed with M.S. as well as a pretty serious case of skin cancer in June 2015. The treatments for the skin cancer look to have been a success. Last week an alarming shock of possible breast cancer. I'm going through extensive tests on March 2nd. So my fellow pilgrims prayers or encouraging thoughts might get me through this. I'm determined to walk my Camino. Staying positive!!!!

that seemed to occur very quickly with those around me (except for a few folks) but that's okay, I just zip the lip and talk to people on here! I imagine if someone I was close to was getting ready to partake in some adventure that I wasn't "tuned in to" I might get a little bored with their constant references to it...so I understand ~ but it's just so darn hard not to talk about it!!!:p
This forum is my saving grace as well. I've come to realize that it may not be annoyance but concern I'm seeing. I've always been a strong and determined individual...that doesn't shock them. It's being so far away for so long. I've NEVER put my needs ahead of others . I'll be the one in shock when I just have my needs to concentrate on for weeks. I'll have to fight the urge to carry everyone else's pack. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Buen Camino
Arn
If I don't just come out and say it out loud, how is it ever going to happen? So here I go...Camino Frances, late Sept/mid-October...here I come!

Buen Camino
Arn

I am walking from St Jean starting April 7 2016 and hoping the weather is OK to Orisson where I will spend the first night. I have been training for a couple of months and walk 8-10 miles with my pack fully loaded 2-3 times a week.
My full load will be less than 25lbs including snacks and water. I am in no hurry with 6 weeks allotted . Will celebrate my 65th birthday at the end of April. To those of you walking this year, Buen Camino!
James from Chicago.

Hello there, my name is Marc, and I will be starting my walk from SJPP on May 3rd. A little about me: I am profoundly deaf, but love to walk and travel everywhere. Last year, I joined this group hiking the Milford Track in New Zealand (54 km long, 4 days). That was awesome. I've been to Spain twice, so this will be my third visit to Spain, and first time to walk the camino frances. I live in Salt Lake City (USA), and with the Rocky Mountains literally in my backyard, I go hiking often. I'm planning to walk in stages of 30 km or less and break it up in 23 stages, with some extra day stays in Pamplona and Logrono. I've been to Leon and Burgos already in 2014, so it's not a priority for me to stay extra days in these cities. After completing my walk, I plan to hire a car and go to the northern shore of Spain before returning home. I want to wish you all a buen camino!

Leaving Roncesvalles March 27th. Will be celebrating my 67th 8 days later; wonder where/how I'll be????

I'm praying my Camino still happens. As I've shared earlier, I was diagnosed with M.S. as well as a pretty serious case of skin cancer in June 2015. The treatments for the skin cancer look to have been a success. Last week an alarming shock of possible breast cancer. I'm going through extensive tests on March 2nd. So my fellow pilgrims prayers or encouraging thoughts might get me through this. I'm determined to walk my Camino. Staying positive!!!!
Hi Penny, my prayers are with you.
I am hoping that the tests are going well for you.
Wish you strength, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would like to join the class of 2016. My hope is to walk the Camino Portugese starting mid August from Lisbon. This being my second Camino. In 2014, I started in SJPdP and walked to Santiago de Compostella. My wife walked from Sarria to Santiago with me. I must say it was a very rewarding time that we spent on the road - sometimes difficult, sometimes exhilarating and other times well all ends of the emotional spectrum were on display.

I am walking from St Jean starting April 7 2016 and hoping the weather is OK to Orisson where I will spend the first night. I have been training for a couple of months and walk 8-10 miles with my pack fully loaded 2-3 times a week.
My full load will be less than 25lbs including snacks and water. I am in no hurry with 6 weeks allotted . Will celebrate my 65th birthday at the end of April. To those of you walking this year, Buen Camino!
James from Chicago.
Hi James, you will have a great time at the albergue Orisson. You will have the evening meal together. The other pilgrims will introduce themselves.
You will have a great 65 birthday along the way.

I would like to join the class of 2016. My hope is to walk the Camino Portugese starting mid August from Lisbon. This being my second Camino. In 2014, I started in SJPdP and walked to Santiago de Compostella. My wife walked from Sarria to Santiago with me. I must say it was a very rewarding time that we spent on the road - sometimes difficult, sometimes exhilarating and other times well all ends of the emotional spectrum were on display.
Hi Martin, welcome back to the Camino.
Wish you a well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey folks, it's great to hear about all the upcoming pilgrimages. I'll add mine to the list. I'm booked for June. Leaving on the 15 june. Booked first night in sjpdp on 16. Just walked 224 miles for the month of February. Training well under way. I get on the forum daily to help ease the anticipation of the way.
Buen Camino all.
PS your in my prayers Penny Kingma

So have taken the plunge and just booked our flights to Santiago. Having walked and cycled a few of the routes just short of twenty years ago we thought it was time to go back, especially as we now live in Spain! However now we will be bringing our two children aged 14 and 9 for their first Camino experience. However the idea of spending their Easter holiday has not gone down too well with their biggest concern being how will they charge their life support systems of mobile phone and tablets! We are walking the Camino Ingles beginning in Ferrol on Palm Sunday - 20th March.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino
Arn

My apologies for tagging on the end of your post rather than creating my own, but I can't work out how to create a new post without breaking something. Anyway, my name is Kate and I will be heading off from SJPP on 6th or 7th April with a view to arriving in Santiago around the Feast of Pentecost. I'm hoping the Napoleon route will be open at that time so I can start walking it the same way my parents did. Also hoping the Camino signs are easier to find than the "New Post" button on this forum otherwise I might spend 40 days walking across Spain marveling at how it looks and sounds so much like France!

Pax,

:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are an inspiration. My brother also has MS and spends a lot of his time either in a wheelchair or uses a rollater. Keep positive and keep on going at your pace. You are determined and while it may take a little longer .... but keep on to the end of the road. Buen Camino

Thank you Martin, your very kind. What's your brothers name ? You can tell your brother I'll walk it for him too. My greatest joys have come from my husband, children and grandchildren. My calm, inspiration and fulfillment come from experiencing this beautiful world. I've always loved to hike, bike,kayak or canoe in nature. I've been worried that all this would change in the future. It hasn't always been easy but I refuse to give in .
Buen Camino

Martin I have just started on something that has changed my life and may help your brother. I not only have M.S. I also have a hereditary disease called Lipedema. The onset starts at puberty and causes an aching body pain that gets worse but never goes away. I was finally diagnosed in my early thirties after years of unrelenting, untreated pain. That pain has worsened since adding a sharp, sometimes debilitating pain in the last 7 years. Finally last June I found that that sharp nerve pain was M.S. I've been prescribed numerous medications with no relief ... But horrible side effects from vertigo to swollen pallet and gums to severe nose bleeds....I'm very sensitive to drugs and even at the slightest dosage I would react.
I've finally found the answer !!!!
For the first time in decades I have been PAIN FREE for three days. It was such a strange feeling it seriously took 2 hours for me to realize that the odd feeling I was feeling was NO P A I N.
Three weeks ago I was granted a Medical Marijuana license.
I finally received my prescription of Cannabis Oil three days ago. Just so you know I have NEVER used EVER before now. And something you and others should know is that you don't get high. It's THC in cannabis that gets a person high , this is extremely low in the oil. CBD in cannabis is what relieves pain it is very high in the oil. I just put .25 mls on my tougue twice a day and from the 2nd day NO PAIN ! I do take a stronger oil higher in levels as the night oil. Before these I NEVER slept more than an hour at a time due to pain. I have slept 7hrs straight through for the last three nights. I share this because I truly want to help people. I wish I had this years ago.
The hardest part of this story is that I CANNOT travel outside of Canada with it. So I can't bring it with me on my Camino.
Also, I am not connected to or affiliated with any company...I just want to share the miracle I've found. There are a few licensed oil providers, mine was Mettrum just in case you want to check it out.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Penny I will pass the info on. My brothers name is Declan. We came from family of 9 children - 5 boys and four girls. An uncle of mine now well into his 80's has MS also. Declan and I are close and have had many adventures together - including owning a boat and fishing, we also have a small apartment in the south of Spain. Declan will be 59 this year and save from reading your notes, I would say that you and he are two of the most positive people I have ever come across. I commend you for this. I told some friends that in 2014 when I was contemplating my first Camino I would be hoping to collect some funds for MS research. My friends were very good to me and through Declan these monies were received by MS Ireland. I also did a daily blog on Wordpress and many family and family friends followed my progress from SJPdeP to Santiago. I am a few years older than Declan and hope to have just passed 64 by the time I start from Lisbon. Buen Camino

Thank you for the kind words Martin. I hope the information is useful to Declan. When is your start date ? I'll be turning 52 on my Camino.
Buen Camino

I hope to start from Lisbon on the 19th August. I fly from Ireland to Lisbon on the morning of the 18th.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My thoughts and prayers will be with you also in May and June. Buen Camino

Anyone leaving Valencia around the 5th September to walk the Camino de Levante?

Hi Martin, wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

What a blessing you are to the forum Peter :)
When we first joined the forum you were the first to welcome us and wish us well for our first camino and I remember that often as I see you welcome others and wish them also a Buen Camino.
Very special, so thank you.

Hi everyone,

I've been "lurking" in this forum on and off since 2012...

I'm finally able to get leave of absence from work to do this as part of the Jubilee of Mercy...

I start off from SJPdP on Pentecost, 15th May 2016, and aim to arrive at SDC just in time for either Saint John The Baptist or Ss. Peter and Paul.

I wish everyone a wonderful journey and Buon Camino!

daniel

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When we first joined the forum you were the first to welcome us and wish us well for our first camino and I remember that often as I see you welcome others and wish them also a Buen Camino.
Thank you so much for the compliment.
I myself find it a normal thing to do , wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hello

My flights are booked. Flying in from Manchester via Helsinki. Start my Camino on 30th May 2016. My preparations are going well, over 600 miles in my legs with hopefully 300/400 more before my fantastic journey. 35 days of dreams.

We'll be a couple of days ahead of you, if you start in SJPP. Buen Camino!

I am starting alone from SJPdP on May 28/29th depending on how fast I can get there from Paris. I am starting with a 8-9 days walk and I'll see how far I get. Since I will probably be bitten by the camino bug, I guess I will be coming back to continue where I stopped.

My two biggest challenges at this point are me being a control freak :) , and my weight. But I am prepared to let my camino be what it becomes.

Hope to see you out there, Milsub. We've got your back (by a day or two). Buen camino!

In a week from now I'll be on The Way (pun intended!) for my first camino: from Porto to Santiago de Compostela.
My flight lands in Porto late on the 18th and after seeing the Cathedral in the morning and having my bearings adjusted, I'll probably take the Metro to Matosinhos and follow the coast to Villa do Conte and from there to Rates and the central route. Then - if everything goes along as planned with a few long stages - I'll arrive early on the 27th and fly home to Denmark the next morning.
I've made a post in Danish about my plans.
I can't think of any better way of spending my Easter.

auldies said: ↑

I often think the same. Thank you Peter
Buen Camino

In a week from now I'll be on The Way (pun intended!) for my first camino: from Porto to Santiago de Compostela.
My flight lands in Porto late on the 18th and after seeing the Cathedral in the morning and having my bearings adjusted, I'll probably take the Metro to Matosinhos and follow the coast to Villa do Conte and from there to Rates and the central route. Then - if everything goes along as planned with a few long stages - I'll arrive early on the 27th and fly home to Denmark the next morning.
Buen Camino

€83,-

Buen Camino
Arn
Hello fellow pilgrims,
I am leaving St. Jean Sept 11/16. Anyone else going around that time? Mary

2016 June/July cannot wait retiring and doing the walk. Do not want to wish my life away but I am excited already. 5 weeks of walking. Fantastic
I know what you mean. I am going in Sept/16 and it will be excruciating waiting till my flight leaves.

I can't wait. I'm flying out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada on May 27th, landing in Paris on the 28th. I'll be catching the first available train for St Jean. I have 5 children and we are expecting our 6th grandchild. I've had a rough 2015 and can't wait to walk my first Camino. My families supportive but likely getting tired of all my talk and planning.
Buen Camino Penny,
Leaving from Toronto in September. Love to hear about your journey when you return. Mary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Martin, happy Easter and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Buen Camino
Arn
I don't want to jinx it, like last year, so I'll hold off from adding my date to the calendar. Let's just say, I've got some bookings made and expect to be on foot and happy again mid-April 2016.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My name is Sophie and I will be walking the VĂ­a de la Plata in July/August this year. I know it will be very hot, but I'm a student, so this is the only time of the year I am able to do it. It will be my second Camino (I walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP with my mother last summer), but the first time I'll walk alone and I'm very excited! My mother will be walking the Camino del Norte at the same time (starting one week later) and we'll meet in Santiago and go on to Finisterre together. We really want to walk this last part together, because last year we couldn't do it because my mother had had problems with her foot since LeĂłn and we were glad we even made it to Santiago. So we promised each other we would come back and walk the last part another time. I really hope this time we'll make it to Finisterre!

Applying for admission to the class of 2016. Getting ready for first Camino. Starting Roncesvalles on April 12; turning 60 years young two days earlier. Planned for over a year, so am bringing excitement (which exceeds 10% of my body weight).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I will be starting the Camino Portugues on Sept 17, 2016. Starting in Porto we will be walking the Coastal - Senda Litoria route to SDC. Barring extremely bad weather we will walk on to Finisterre and Muxia. We did the CF from SJPDP in 2013. Prior to arrving in Portugal we are spending some time in Iceland and doing some warm up hiking. We are spending some time in Lisbon before taking the train to Porto where will also spend a few days touring that city. Hope to meet some of you along The Way.
Hi, when God willing my wife and I will walk the Camino Portugese later this year to.
Wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hoping to join the class of 2016 as well! I am planning on doing the Camino del Norte this July (and into August if need be). I'm nervous about finding a bed each night but am so looking forward to meeting fellow Pilgrims along the way.

And a big thanks for this forum and the wealth of information everyone has shared! I read it daily and am getting so excited!

Buen Camino a todos!

Buen Camino
Arn

-My name is Jerry and will be in St Jean on Aug 31 to start on Sept 1st. Just retired last year after 35 years as a flight attendant, look forward to meeting many wonderful people.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Buen Camino
Arn
Me! End of august! From SJPDP. Who will I meet......

Last edited:
Hoping to join the class of 2016 as well! I am planning on doing the Camino del Norte this July (and into August if need be). I'm nervous about finding a bed each night but am so looking forward to meeting fellow Pilgrims along the way.

And a big thanks for this forum and the wealth of information everyone has shared! I read it daily and am getting so excited!

Buen Camino a todos!
Hi, wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Me! End of august! From SJPD. Who will I meet......
Hi Bianca, you will meet lots of other pilgrims along your journey.
The time of the year is very nice to walk, according to my wife anyway she walked the Camino Frances in 2013. And she had a great time and very nice weather.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Rich and Colleen Here.

We start the Camino on May 1st. Starting taking a bus from Leon and starting to Walk at Hospital d'Orbigno. So excited yet nervous. My back pack has a patch of the #12 on it representing the 12th fan of the Seattle Seahawks. Hope to make some great friends!

Hallo All. My hubby and I plan to walk from St Jean Pied de Port in second week of September. My first camino, and I am enjoying the preparation and research. What a valuable resource this forum is! Thanks to everyone that has shared from their wisdom and experience! :)

Heading out in early June for my first camino! "Celebrating" going over the hill and clueless as to what road to take ;) (metaphorically speaking) . St. James, show the way. :) Hope to meet some of you along the road!

I am heading to Spain June 10th-25th for the first ever camino--camino del norte! flying into madrid--would you all take the train or a plane to Irun? Thanks and hope to see some of you there! so excited!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello All. I am the other half of Meerkat! ;) We are from Johannesburg, South Africa and excited about walking the Way in September. We probably do not not have enough time to walk the whole way from SJPP to Santiago and plan to bus at least part of the maseta.

Unfortunately, my plans for a 2016 Camino has been put on hold. I hope to reorganize myself in the next year or two.

My wife and I will be at el camino June 2016. Look forward to be there and hear from others attending during this time.
Hello when are you planning to walk? As I will be there end of April and start of May.

€83,-
Hello I am planning to go at the end of April. I am going alone too so let me know how you getting there.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.