• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2019

Arn

Veteran Member
The Class of .. threads were started back in 2007. At that time I had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. My original post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2018?

Buen Camino
Arn

At one time in my life I would have wondered if this or that would have changed if only, I had done such and so
. Now instead of cudda, wudda, shudda, I am blessed to have had many experiences, met many folks (especially on the Forum and walked the Way knowing that since 2007 the Camino will always be there for me and the new Class of...pilgrims on the horizon.

Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not sure if this is for 18 or 19 but a friend and I am planning to go from somewhere in Spain to SdC in late April for 30 days. The 'somewhere' is dependent on my knee condition. I am hoping farther, i.e. Pamplona but may have to settle for Burgos. Either way, it is a' go' for us!

BTW, I should thank everyone here for their advice and information; especially Notion, whose posts I find very helpful, and which, hopefully, will make it an easier, and perhaps, farther journey. Also, a Semper fi to all the Marines who are watching these posts. If you see a tall galoot with a black pack on which is a patch commemorating the losses we took in the Nam, say Hello to the Lurch as you pass. I guarantee he will be listing to port as you pass and it is not because of the vino tinto; well, maybe not entirely.

Excelsior, and not as in wood shavings!

Not sure if this is for 18 or 19 but a friend and I am planning to go from somewhere in Spain to SdC in late April for 30 days. The 'somewhere' is dependent on my knee condition. I am hoping farther, i.e. Pamplona but may have to settle for Burgos. Either way, it is a' go' for us!

BTW, I should thank everyone here for their advice and information; especially Notion, whose posts I find very helpful, and which, hopefully, will make it an easier, and perhaps, farther journey. Also, a Semper fi to all the Marines who are watching these posts. If you see a tall galoot with a black pack on which is a patch commemorating the losses we took in the Nam, say Hello to the Lurch as you pass. I guarantee he will be listing to port as you pass and it is not because of the vino tinto; well, maybe not entirely.

Excelsior, and not as in wood shavings!

This old Corpsman is planning to do the VdlP in 2019 and also owes much to folks who have been kind enough to share on this forum. Marines can always count on a free adult beverage of their choice from this old "Doc".

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Planning on doing a Camino Mixta by starting in Alicante, heading to Zamora then Astorga and then taking the Camino Invierno before going to SdC and Muxia. Taking my fiance with me on his first Camino. He knows what he is signing up for!

. . . Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2018? . . .
I believe it should read "2019" [?]
Anyway, on my side of the house 2019 is looking good for Via de la Plata . . . we shall see . . . ya sera lo que sera. To all 2017, 2018, 2019 [and beyond] caminantes, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gracias Mister Arn for the reminder. VdlP still looks good for 2019 on my side of the house, but first I need to plan and execute my 2018 camino. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I'm still waiting to do my first Camino, Camino Ingles, this October. However, I'm already planning on doing the walk from Santiago-Fisterra-Muxia next year. Can't wait!

I'm still waiting to do my first Camino, Camino Ingles, this October. However, I'm already planning on doing the walk from Santiago-Fisterra-Muxia next year. Can't wait!
Last time I did the CI it rained a lot(welcome to Galicia). Can easily be done in 7 Days.
Day 4: Betanzos to... till Bar Julia call ahead to O Meson Novo the family is most friendly, will collect you at Bar Julia, take you to their pension and after a HOT shower, good food and football on TV...they will take you back to Bar Julia to continue onthe next day at which time you return to the Meson for the night and continue in the next morning.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm a 2019! I have always wanted to do one of these trails. I read about the pilgrim routes as a child, and was fascinated. Funds don't really allow this year, but I can do next year.

Besides, it's more time for training! I am walking the Ridgeway in England this spring, as well as Offa's Dyke. Including day hikes in the Peak District, where I live.

Well I have to confess that I'll not be doing the VDLP this year, other plans in the pot.
But I will being doing the VDLP in 2019, flying to Saville around the 3rd Feb and stepping out on the 3rd, can't wait.

Last edited:
Much as I would love to go back and complete or at least 400 km of the Via de la Plata at the moment it is off the radar. But what is on is the Porto to Santiago, probably starting in Porto around first or second week of May with a diversion on to the Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia (branch off some 10-15 km west of Santiago) and then finish in Santiago. ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well I have to confess that I'll not be doing the VDLP this year, other plans in the pot.
But I will being doing the VDLP in 2019, flying to Saville around the 1st March and stepping out on the 3rd, can't wait.
Hola - with Easter being late April 2019 (I think Good Friday is 19th) it might be a fantastic climax to arrive in Santiago just as Holy Week starts. (Caution if this is the case then might need to plan ahead for accommodation purposes). Buen Camino!

Been thinking about this for a couple of years and have finally committed to the Camino - not sure which part yet in September 2019. I am so uninitiated that I'm not even sure which trail to take. I am hoping this forum will better guide me along the path. Where to even begin looking in this forum is a bit daunting. At least I have some time to prepare. See you in the posts. Sue, Cairns, Australia.

Welcome to the forum @sue_h8 - you are on your way!

You will get lots and lots of different advice on this forum, probably all good, but my advice - buy yourself a ticket to Madrid, returning to Oz no less than 6 weeks later (you will lose at least a week in travelling). Walk the Camino Francés for a first route, starting in St Jean Pied de Port and finishing in Santiago de Compostela. Don't "pick" the best bits - just walk and keep walking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum @sue_h8 - you are on your way!

Thanks so much @Kanga . I love the advice you have just given me. I plan to walk the whole way. I was unsure about taking the Camino Frances and thinking should I take another. Maybe it's as you've suggested for my first experience (there may be more to come).

I have an 75th birthday (not mine) to attend in southern Spain early December and I can get at least 8 weeks leave prior to be able to commit to the walk. Into Madrid sounds like a plan.

I also read somewhere that I it won't take too much planning and just to go with the flow of things. Is that what you would suggest? A start point, end point, basic equipment (I'll check out the forum posts), funds to support me (again I'm assuming lots of advice on this forum), and the love of the trail?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm looking forward to getting much needed great information here. I'm working on my being in shape for doing this so I can enjoy the scenery & people as much as possible. Hopefully I'll be able to get enough time off of work to walk the entire route. Still trying to decide specifically when month-wise to plan for! Looking forward to hearing more!

Hi, I'm looking forward to getting much needed great information here. I'm working on my being in shape for doing this so I can enjoy the scenery & people as much as possible. Hopefully I'll be able to get enough time off of work to walk the entire route. Still trying to decide specifically when month-wise to plan for! Looking forward to hearing more!
Welcome to the forum! IF you are not able to get enough time off then you can walk part of the camino, then come back for the rest. Good months for walking? Any month, but good number of peregrinos like the Spring and Fall seasons, just pick your month and go for it! Good luck with your planning and execution, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last time I did the CI it rained a lot(welcome to Galicia). Can easily be done in 7 Days.
Day 4: Betanzos to... till Bar Julia call ahead to O Meson Novo the family is most friendly, will collect you at Bar Julia, take you to their pension and after a HOT shower, good food and football on TV...they will take you back to Bar Julia to continue onthe next day at which time you return to the Meson for the night and continue in the next morning.
Since the route change, which misses Bar Julia, they now pick up at Leiro or similar, and also expect pilgrims to stay with them both nights (which seems fair to me). Lovely people, wish them well.

We might make Roncesvalles in 2019, but to visit not to walk.

It's high time I finally write a first post here. I walked the Camino Portuguese last year, Sept. 2017, and I got so much wonderful information here on this great forum. Thanks to everyone for keeping this forum going! Well as most of you I'm a lifer now I think. I'd love to walk again this year but my daughter is getting married this summer. So I'm tentatively planning on doing the CF in Sept 2019. I haven't told my family yet as they won't understand, but I'm sure I'll make it happen. I'm so thrilled to be going back and doing the long version of the walk. And I'm looking forward to going solo this time to just be able to go as I feel each day. Looking forward to meeting some of you down the road! Buen camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Donante. I'm loving the family feel of this forum and look forward to many more caminos!

This old Corpsman is planning to do the VdlP in 2019 and also owes much to folks who have been kind enough to share on this forum. Marines can always count on a free adult beverage of their choice from this old "Doc".

Doc, as a former infantry Marine, the adult beverage is definitely on me!

Doc, this post will surely result in “many” libations coming your way. This is my pack. While I’ve met several Forum members, and discussed the AT on occasion, the Corps patch has resulted in several unexpected happenings: an attractive young lady riding the train near Oporto exclaimed “oh, such a big strong Marine”;); on another trek on the CF a German couple noticed me struggling with an injured knee (maybe I’m not so big and strong). As I approached the Albergue Casa Molar, I was hailed by the couple to join them. Not only did they recognize my USMC patch, but after treating me to several cerveza we found that we shared an interesting background. During WWII my dad was a POW of the Germans and his father by the Americans. One last item: he left his rather expensive walking sticks with me. So, Doc...ya neva know when, or why a Camino Angel will appear. I personally like the Corps connection.
Buen Camino
Arn

Attachments

• C2A2C40D-5D87-4569-B669-37A3D8E93F30.jpeg
    C2A2C40D-5D87-4569-B669-37A3D8E93F30.jpeg
    732.2 KB · Views: 49
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone from wet rainy west of Endland in he UK .

After 4 years of heart ache in my own life with my own life, I have stumble across the Camino. With further research found this forum. My Camino, planned for Sept 2019 is to help me find my way again. I ha become to hung up on “Rules” and who writes them. It’s messed me up. I’ll be looking to my Camino for guidance to the right place in the world, my world and your world. I’m looking forward to meeting whoever on the CF.

Well, drats, @Arn . After 2015 on the CF and 2017 on the CP, it looks like I just might be a 2019 on the CDN. Didn't want to admit it just yet...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola - with Easter being late April 2019 (I think Good Friday is 19th) it might be a fantastic climax to arrive in Santiago just as Holy Week starts. (Caution if this is the case then might need to plan ahead for accommodation purposes). Buen Camino!

This is an interesting point. Easter is pretty late in 2019. How will that impact albergue opening?

No camino this year, but my current plan for 2019 is the Camino de Madrid to Sahagun, the Frances to Ponferrada, and the Invierno to Santiago, probably in the fall. It's early days yet, so I may yet choose another route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Planning our first Camino in May 2019, my sister and I are both very excited but also a bit lost in planning this great event. We are both in our 50s and currently not too fit, however we are planning to do something about that.
I am situated in Cape Town, South Africa and my sister in Pretoria, South Africa. We will most probably start in Sarria walking to Santiago de Compostela, doing the Camino France. I am not sure if this is the forum but we would appreciate any advise.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After an aborted attempt at CF 2016 (walked as far as Pamplona and decided I just HAD to go home), tentatively planning for October 2019 with my sister. Back on the treadmill of reading the Forum, making notes and lists, watching videos, reading books, researching equipment and clothing etc.

Hello to all,
Starting to plan my Camino for the last week in August and September 2019.. 18 months planning should do it! Planning to fly into Bezier from Bristol and start from StJdP!
Definitely top of my bucket list now!!!
The more I read on this forum the more I get enthused!
Going to spend the next few months honing the route!
Good luck to all!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It seems the Camino is calling again and I just can't fight it! I walked the CF in 2017 and have decided to return in July 2019 to walk Camino del Norte/Primitivo. It can't come soon enough!

I am new to this site but have not decided which route to take with my Camino!
At the top of my choices was the CF or the Norte! Completely undecided and, although trawling the posts for information (and inspiration) I find myself with information overload (I even considered the Portuguese!
I am strongly considering the Norte (starting at Bilbao) because of an interest in the Basque culture and a desire to visit Guernica on the way!
How did you find the Frances (I have gleaned that it can be overused and a bit busy..although with adequate services)
I am thinking of late August and September 2019 btw!
I have read that (perhaps) the Norte is not so well served with alburgues!
Any views on this would be appreciated!

Hi there. I did the portion between Sarria and Santiago in June 2017 and absolutely loved it. I now want to do the entire Camino Frances in September / October 2019. Not sure yet if I will do it solo and whether I will do the Camino carrying my pack or do a slack pack option.

I walked my first Camino last fall going from Porto to SdC and like many others I can't stop thinking/planning my next one. I also am planning on going solo this time to walk the full CF next September, God willing. Might just catch up with you along the way!

Hi I am new to this forum and planning on my first Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago maybe to finishing off to Finestarre. I will be solo 58 year old female as my husband in no condition to walk or I have friends with the time off to join me.
May 3 2019 . Slow and steady 40 days . I am in the planning stages snd am wondering how far you should book ahead the first week on your trip

Hi, all. I’ve been interested in doing the camino for many years and since I just retired, the time is coming! Although the hubby and I talked about walking Camino Frances in 2019 or 2020, I’ve been doing a lot of reading about it over the past few days while he is out of state so I texted him ‘let’s go in May 2019?’ and he is on board. I’m really excited. I love to read and research and prepare as part of my preparation for any and all travel. I have spent 3-4 weeks in Spain each of the past 5 years so to return for something like this warms my heart. And I’m excited to be able to share in the knowledge and experiences you all share - so thank you! Karen

Having walked from O'Cebreiro in March of 2014, I will be doing the more traditional route from St. Jean in March of 2019. My wife will join me for the first few days to Pamplona, then I will walk solo from there. The planning has begun!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all, I'll be walking the Camino Frances in September/October 2019. I've been following this forum for a while as the Camino has been a dream for many years - it's a great forum and I love the personalities and care that shine through. So generous and helpful. Finally my pilgrimage is coming into focus for me. I'm going to visit Montserrat as a first stop - a place to reflect and prepare while I recover from a long journey from Australia. But then I'll head to SJPP to start the CF. Looking forward to walking a-while with you. Mary

Been thinking about this for a couple of years and have finally committed to the Camino - not sure which part yet in September 2019. I am so uninitiated that I'm not even sure which trail to take. I am hoping this forum will better guide me along the path. Where to even begin looking in this forum is a bit daunting. At least I have some time to prepare. See you in the posts. Sue, Cairns, Australia.
Sue, it depends on,what you like,hills or open country,what time you want to go,how much time you have. Therimitivo is hilly and beautiful. The Norte has ocean views. The singles is shorter,etc. Read about the different routes,and find one that speaks to you. You cannot go wrong! And, most of all, BUEN CAMINO

Sue, it depends on,what you like,hills or open country,what time you want to go,how much time you have. Therimitivo is hilly and beautiful. The Norte has ocean views. The singles is shorter,etc. Read about the different routes,and find one that speaks to you. You cannot go wrong! And, most of all, BUEN CAMINO
Forgive my spelling,it is quite late!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello! I am planning my first walk on the Camino. I am planning the beginning of Lent (March 6, 2019) to Easter (April 21, 2019). The French way. I am so excited! Would love tips and suggestions and to meet others who might be there during this time.

Last edited:
This is my plan also! I want to start on Lent (March 6) to Easter (April 21) the French Way. I think it will add a spiritual element to my first Walk.

Hello everyone ....... With further research found this forum. My Camino, planned for Sept 2019 is to help me find my way again. I ha become to hung up on “Rules” and who writes them. It’s messed me up. I’ll be looking to my Camino for guidance to the right place in the world, my world and your world. I’m looking forward to meeting whoever on the CF.

Hola @Johnlewis47 , and welcome.
Don't stress too much over the "rules". Yes there are rules, but all of these forum sites have some rules. Just remember to be respectful of other's views, refrain from political comment and you will do just fine.

As for the Camino restoring your path or providing guidance - imho (my view!) approach the Camino with an open mind, a bit of minimal planning, pack lightly (say less than 10-12kg - 25 pounds) and start by putting one small step in front of another. Buen Camino.:):D

€83,-
Hola @Johnlewis47 , and welcome.
Don't stress too much over the "rules". Yes there are rules, but all of these forum sites have some rules. Just remember to be respectful of other's views, refrain from political comment and you will do just fine.

As for the Camino restoring your path or providing guidance - imho (my view!) approach the Camino with an open mind, a bit of minimal planning, pack lightly (say less than 10-12kg - 25 pounds) and start by putting one small step in front of another. Buen Camino.:):D

Hi Mike

Thanks for your message, my “rules” I have become too hung up on are those in life in general, I’m pretty familiar with forum rules.

It’s the hang of life’s rules and who fights them, the wrongs and rights with them that have pushed me to mental health break downs and my lost faith for which I hope the Camino will help me with.

Buen Camino

Hi Sue from Cairns
This is Hilary (Hilarious) from Mackay. I will be on the Camino Frances from SJPdP to SdC in September with my friend, Francoise from Melbourne. Hope we get to see you. I have been lurking on this site for quite some months soaking in (like a sponge) all the priceless information from pilgrims who have gone before. I am focusing on wearing in my new Saloman X-Ultra shoes at present and am off to do a 10kms walk with my walking group this afternoon. Thank you all so much for your advice and generosity in sharing your experiences. Buen Camino!

Hi Everyone,

Last summer I walked from SJPP to Fromista. I wish I could have kept going to Santiago and Fisterra, but I only had a few weeks off from work. It was tough not being able to finish the journey with my Camino family. I enjoyed what little time I had there and knew I would have to return to complete it.

A few months after returning home, I found this forum, which has been providing my Camino fix until I can return. Someday I would love to walk some of the other lesser traveled Camino's that I have heard so much about on this forum.

Currently I plan on walking the rest of the CF (starting from Fromista) in 2019. I haven't set an exact date yet, but would like to do it during the warmer months. I'm guessing the last 100k will be pretty crowded then, but I just don't enjoy walking in colder weather as much.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to the Meseta and hopefully I will meet some of you along the way!

Hi all, I'll be walking the Camino Frances in September/October 2019. I've been following this forum for a while as the Camino has been a dream for many years - it's a great forum and I love the personalities and care that shine through. So generous and helpful. Finally my pilgrimage is coming into focus for me. I'm going to visit Montserrat as a first stop - a place to reflect and prepare while I recover from a long journey from Australia. But then I'll head to SJPP to start the CF. Looking forward to walking a-while with you. Mary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Six years ago, one of my best friends walked the Primitivo as a celebration of her 60th birthday, and I was in awe, and convinced that I would never be able to tackle something so challenging (and so wonderful). I was a bit overweight, a lot unfit, and I disliked walking intensely. This year, however, I've been concentrating on getting myself back on track: lost many kilo's, joined a gym, and embarked on a walking routine. Somewhere in March, something clicked, and I started looking forward to those 10,000 steps, which became 15,000, and then 20,000, when time allows, and I realised that a Camino might not be an impossible dream after all.
So. I have a map (I love that Wise Pilgrim map) hanging in the stairwell. I have walking shoes, ones that seem to agree with my bunioned feet, and they seem to be breaking in nicely. I have a backpack (a day pack, as for a few reasons I will probably not be carrying everything on my back, alas). I invested in some good socks. I already had that Ikea poncho! :) What I DON'T have is any idea which Camino I will walk in 2019 (and whether I will walk it alone or with my husband) but walk one (I hope) I will.
This forum is awesome. Thanks to everyone who shares!
Cheers, Lynn

Six years ago, one of my best friends walked the Primitivo as a celebration of her 60th birthday, and I was in awe, and convinced that I would never be able to tackle something so challenging (and so wonderful). I was a bit overweight, a lot unfit, and I disliked walking intensely. This year, however, I've been concentrating on getting myself back on track: lost many kilo's, joined a gym, and embarked on a walking routine. Somewhere in March, something clicked, and I started looking forward to those 10,000 steps, which became 15,000, and then 20,000, when time allows, and I realised that a Camino might not be an impossible dream after all.
So. I have a map (I love that Wise Pilgrim map) hanging in the stairwell. I have walking shoes, ones that seem to agree with my bunioned feet, and they seem to be breaking in nicely. I have a backpack (a day pack, as for a few reasons I will probably not be carrying everything on my back, alas). I invested in some good socks. I already had that Ikea poncho! :) What I DON'T have is any idea which Camino I will walk in 2019 (and whether I will walk it alone or with my husband) but walk one (I hope) I will.
This forum is awesome. Thanks to everyone who shares!
Cheers, Lynn
Lovely to hear from you Lynn. That's wonderful you are enjoying your training so much! Likewise for me. The Camino has already starting working its magic. I joined a walking group and have met a great group of people. I had a total hip replacement three years ago (too many FUN Runs!) so have started my training in plenty of time for a September 2019 Camino Frances from SJPdP to SdC. Buen Camino!

Buen Dia mi Amigos del Camino, having trekked the Frances (SJJP to Santiago) twice in 11 months (Sept. 2016 & August 2017). Myself and my wife's ages 66 & 65 and 67 & 66 respectively, we decided to take 2018 off for much needed body repairs ;) but are now in the planning stages for a 2019 trek of the Via de la Plata, hoping to start in Malaga and if we have to Seville aka Sevilla. Anyone else thinking of doing this Camino?

Buen Caminos :)

Last edited:
Hi all, I’m aiming to do the CF, Finisterre & Muxia in very early April 2019, (no set date) Some years ago I suffered a serious shattered leg from a motorcycle accident and had to learn to walk again and I think on some level that has something to do with wanting to walk the CF. It’s sort of a significant birthday pressie to me too. I’m a 60yr old Irish female living in Oz for a very long time and I’ll be happily walking alone, my hub isn’t interested but very supportive. I wont have any time constraints and have no intentions of breaking any endurance or speed records and if I get a single blister it will be ICU and at least a weeks bed rest...that’s without bedbugs of course!

Max is our rescued Great Dane X who loves walking, he and I walk about 40 or so kms most weeks, I’ll up this (because I can) in the next few months. He is not going to be too happy when I swap him for a backpack though.
Post Camino I’ll head to Ireland for a wee catch up and holiday.

My planning and prep has been awesome, I’ve loved it, books, blogs, YouTube and this site has been wonderful, I really appreciate the non judgemental feel so thank you folks.

It seems the Camino is calling again and I just can't fight it! I walked the CF in 2017 and have decided to return in July 2019 to walk Camino del Norte/Primitivo. It can't come soon enough!
Seems to be a naturally occurring addiction ...lol Buen Caminos :D

Hi! This is my first post!

I'm a Class of 2019 in two ways (one Camino Way and one academic way).

I'm going to have my final exams in May and June 2019 as a mature student on a course that has crushed my soul, and I'll to be doing the Camino in the hope to find myself again.

My plan is to be walking the Camino Portugues with my husband while my colleagues will be worrying about dresses, heels, hairdresser appointments, and photographers. Maybe I'll manage to be in Santiago while they will be tossing their graduation cap, and receiving my Compostela instead of my degree.

It will be a meaningful walk if I either pass my exams or not. And I hope the Camino will provide me with some answers.

Hi all, I’m aiming to do the CF, Finisterre & Muxia in very early April 2019, (no set date) Some years ago I suffered a serious shattered leg from a motorcycle accident and had to learn to walk again and I think on some level that has something to do with wanting to walk the CF. It’s sort of a significant birthday pressie to me too. I’m a 60yr old Irish female living in Oz for a very long time and I’ll be happily walking alone, my hub isn’t interested but very supportive. I wont have any time constraints and have no intentions of breaking any endurance or speed records and if I get a single blister it will be ICU and at least a weeks bed rest...that’s without bedbugs of course!

Max is our rescued Great Dane X who loves walking, he and I walk about 40 or so kms most weeks, I’ll up this (because I can) in the next few months. He is not going to be too happy when I swap him for a backpack though.
Post Camino I’ll head to Ireland for a wee catch up and holiday.

My planning and prep has been awesome, I’ve loved it, books, blogs, YouTube and this site has been wonderful, I really appreciate the non judgemental feel so thank you folks.
A young irish lass such as yourself,should not have any trouble!

€83,-
6 months left before I venture onto the VDLP, ticket (one way) booked and am arriving Saville on the 3rd Feb. I really need to start getting into some serious training, all the information I've looked at indicates that I'm in for some long days.
Am I apprehensive about tackling this at my age, yes I am but life to short to dwell on these things.
For everyone else doing whatever camino, good luck.

Last edited:
Latest update is that the Bloke and I will be starting in early February from Valencia doing the Levante to Zamora then completing the Astorga leg of the VDLP before heading over to the Invierno. If there is time we continue to Muxia. We have to be in NZ before Easter because there is an airshow to attend. Taking 3 months off work and I'm going to need it!
----------------

Latest latest update ;) (26/11/2018)

Leaving Valencia on 6th February and roughly expect to be in Zamora around the 6th of March, Astorga on the 12th, Ponferrada on the 15th, A Laxe on the 24th and Santiago on the 26th of March. Potentially would continue to Muxia by the 30th if we haven't taken extra rest days along the way. We fly out of Spain roughly around the 1st of April for a couple of weeks in the UK.

Last edited:
Keep us posted, this sounds interesting :) Buen Camino

Update for 2019 -

Back from the Camino, first half of May, 2018. God and the Camino told me, "Michelle, you can walk 100 km." I had gone from SJPP to Manero, just after Puente de la Reina, then not only was the IT Band screaming but all my left leg quads were screaming in harmony. Still not a nice experience. I had to quit after about 100 km.

So, back to my orthopaedic specialist till next year. And in the mean time, I am considering walking the St. James Way in Ireland (32 km), then hop down to A Coruna and walk the 75 km to SdC.

Depending on the results of alleviating the left leg issues, if possible, as a further option, I can still walk to Muxia and Finisterre. Or it can be kept for another trip.

"Do what you can as long as you can with all that is in you Heart, your Mind and Soul."

Update for 2019 -

Back from the Camino, first half of May, 2018. God and the Camino told me, "Michelle, you can walk 100 km." I had gone from SJPP to Manero, just after Puente de la Reina, then not only was the IT Band screaming but all my left leg quads were screaming in harmony. Still not a nice experience. I had to quit after about 100 km.

So, back to my orthopaedic specialist till next year. And in the mean time, I am considering walking the St. James Way in Ireland (32 km), then hop down to A Coruna and walk the 75 km to SdC.

Depending on the results of alleviating the left leg issues, if possible, as a further option, I can still walk to Muxia and Finisterre. Or it can be kept for another trip.

"Do what you can as long as you can with all that is in you Heart, your Mind and Soul."
A beautiful positive attitude Michelle, I wish you good health to follow your Camino dreams

Congratulations Michele! A 100 kms walk is a huge achievement in anyone’s language let alone with some ongoing orthopaedic problems. Your commitment, resilience and fortitude is a wonderful example of how far we can go with trust, faith and putting one foot in front of the other. Buen Camino 2019!

But I will being doing the VDLP in 2019, flying to Saville around the 3rd Feb and stepping out on the 3rd, can't wait.
Still planning on walking the VDLP in Feb? I am pondering a winter camino and sifting through options....

Still planning on walking the VDLP in Feb? I am pondering a winter camino and sifting through options....

Yes it's still on the cards, only thing left to do is book accommodation in Saville for the night of 3rd Feb, oh and do some more training. I know its still 6 months away but I'm starting to get excited.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Booked the otel Simon this morning, now it's really happening. Step out day from Saville is 4th Feb.

You are SOOOO organized! I admire your spirit. How long have you been planning? I'm wondering if the route would be too lovely at that time of the year. I appreciate solitude but not 100%!

You are SOOOO organized! I admire your spirit. How long have you been planning? I'm wondering if the route would be too lovely at that time of the year. I appreciate solitude but not 100%!

The VDLP has been on the cards fort as couple of years, unfortunately other things got in the way that prevented me starting.
I set the date for next year about 7 months ago and bought the ticket at the earliest opportunity and today was the first day I was able to book the hotel.
I'll start series training in October so I'm prepared for the long days. I will add that over the last 7 months or so my backpack has been packed and unpacked so many times its ridiculous. Never mind all part of the fun of planning, I have to say that my previous camino's didn't have this much planning.

Not sure I understand the route being "too lovely at that time of year"?

€46,-
Waka, hmmm.... lovely was meant to say lonely! What a difference a letter makes!!! I know the things about packing and repacking. Mine is always packed ready for whatever!

Waka, hmmm.... lovely was meant to say lonely! What a difference a letter makes!!! I know the things about packing and repacking. Mine is always packed ready for whatever![/QUOTE

Certainly less pilgrims that the CF but I'm happy for the solitude, I guess the difference is that on the CF you always know that someone is around, not sure about the VDLP. Having said that I did read Sara's posts, she started in Feb and seemed to meet pilgrims on the way, I guess I'll just have to suck it and see.
I always feel that walking alone is great but it's always nice to meet other pilgrims at rest and night stops.

Last edited:

€46,-
Doc, this post will surely result in “many” libations coming your way. This is my pack. While I’ve met several Forum members, and discussed the AT on occasion, the Corps patch has resulted in several unexpected happenings: an attractive young lady riding the train near Oporto exclaimed “oh, such a big strong Marine”;); on another trek on the CF a German couple noticed me struggling with an injured knee (maybe I’m not so big and strong). As I approached the Albergue Casa Molar, I was hailed by the couple to join them. Not only did they recognize my USMC patch, but after treating me to several cerveza we found that we shared an interesting background. During WWII my dad was a POW of the Germans and his father by the Americans. One last item: he left his rather expensive walking sticks with me. So, Doc...ya neva know when, or why a Camino Angel will appear. I personally like the Corps connection.
Buen Camino
Arn
Greetings from a former Spanish paratrooper Legionary who has also done medium AT

AT. Harpers Ferry

Attachments

• 1466712066578.jpg
    1466712066578.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 12
Hopefully starting in SJPdP the first week of April 2019. This will be my third time around and hopefully not my last. Did the John Muir Trail last year and off on the Colorado Trail soon but the Camino Frances is still my favorite. The scenery, the history and of course the cafe con leche are amazing but most amazing are the fellow pilgrims and the wonderful people of Spain.

I originally posted this in incorrect forum:
This is not a duplicate, I moved and deleted original.

2018 has been the year my wife and I finally stopped saying "someday" and started doing things. Sadly we realize retirement for us is not going to come soon or easily (61 and 65 respectively) so instead we have decided to take 4-6 weeks off twice a year and do amazing things. This year it was visit family for a couple weeks and then a couple weeks in Iceland.

Next year (Spring 2019) we hope it will be the Camino, Portuguese. I have been researching a few places and talked with a couple folks I know that have done it in varying degrees. One a true "pilgrim" and carried all her things all the way and another that did 5-6 hour days with luggage transfer and hotels. I am trying to find middle ground between the two. I would like to not be tied to an exact schedule (in case of blisters or any other reason to slow down or rest an extra day) and would like to be semi self reliant. This forum looks to be an excellent resource and although I am only a member for about 10 minutes so far I have a good feeling.

David
(California USA)

Ok took my first true "steps" toward training today. I walked a 2.8 mile RT in about 50 minutes. I walk my dog, I walk at work and I am on my feet a lot in general but this was a walk by myself (no dog stopping every 4' to sniff or...) with purpose. Sadly we are having the beginning of a heat wave (not as bad as S. Europe though) and I began at 80° and finished at almost 90°. I feel a blister beginning under a callous on the ball of my foot so I will need to address that as I continue to train.

Just a bit of back story. I "was" 350 pounds and have gained about 100 pounds the past decade or so. A month or so ago I got serious about losing weight (I will turn 60 very soon) and getting back to health. I am unsure of my current weight (not using a scale to avoid pitfalls) but have gone down a couple sizes (from tight 3X shirts to loose 2X) and can now tie my shoes without huffing and puffing or feeling like I am going to "pop". I plan to loose about 100 pounds from heaviest to the Camino walk in Spring. If I had to guess, I figure I lost about 30 pounds since June.

I feel like the diet (I won't bore folks about the plan I am on, suffice to say it involves lifestyle changes and weight loss is only a byproduct of that) was step one and now walking is step two. A 2.8 mile first walk is nice start I feel. I guess that could represent about a 15-20% walk of a walk day. I expect after the heat wave to resume walking 4 -5 walks a week and every week extend the distance. After week two I will add a backpack. My goal for my B-Day (In Oct) is to walk a 7-8 mile RT. By the time I leave for Portugal I will be up to 10 miles a day or more. Luckily I live in a place with nice walks including a 21 mile bike path loop with pedestrians welcome.

D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Update:
After my first training walk Sunday (2.8 miles - 50 minutes) my left calf muscle has been screaming. Glad I decided to "train" because despite being able to quickly adapt to the long days walks it seems possible one (me for instance) could find themselves too "knotted up" to continue.

I am back at it today (shortly in fact). I will add some post walking stretches this time. Heatwave here now so I suppose my training will be in worse conditions than my actual Camino.

Lastly, saw MD yesterday, 311 pounds and BP was 128/76!!! By US standards (not sure if world uses all the same) that is quite healthy. Hope to be 250 or less on arrival in Portugal seven months form now.

Day two of walking training. 3.1 miles (in brutal heat, says only 88° but feels hotter in the sun, no breeze) and added about 9 minutes. I may have been moving slower though. No blistering so far.

Will have to work all day tomorrow so next walk Thursday.

This training is giving me an idea about the Camino (my Camino). I will likely break each day's walk into segments of about 7K each. Some days just two and some will have to be four but most will be three with the third being short. I am looking at plans and maps and see where there are a few 20K + days but many 17 or so. I am an early riser so an early start, walk 2-3 hours and rest 30 minutes while having a coffee and maybe a snack. Walk another 2 hours or so until lunch then after lunch leave myself an easy 5K or so to finish day. I am doing about 3 miles an hour now after only two training walks.

I just want to say how devoted and dedicated I am to doing this as well as really, really excited. I already take time on my walks here to imagine being on my Camino and having to push a bit to reach a bed and a meal.

Hopefully starting in SJPdP the first week of April 2019. This will be my third time around and hopefully not my last. Did the John Muir Trail last year and off on the Colorado Trail soon but the Camino Frances is still my favorite. The scenery, the history and of course the cafe con leche are amazing but most amazing are the fellow pilgrims and the wonderful people of Spain.

Hoping to do the same - SJPdP to Santiago - won't be a fast trip - we're old - and my partner's first long distance walk, though I did Everest Base Camp decades ago. I love Spain and can't wait to see a whole different side to compared to places I've been previously. Must say though I'm not delighted by the 30-40 hours of flying/airports to get to Paris LOL

lissie45, have a great time. Going slow and enjoying the sights and the people is not a bad way to go. Long flights are no fun but I have yet to convince the crew of the Enterprise to beam me directly to SJPdP. Not that there are not other great places to stay in SJPdP but my vote goes to the Beilari. They have a communal dinner and the staff is wonderful. If you are flying into Biarritz from Paris, the lady who runs the shuttle service, Express Bourricot, is an exceptionally nice person and the prices are reasonable.

lissie45, have a great time. Going slow and enjoying the sights and the people is not a bad way to go. Long flights are no fun but I have yet to convince the crew of the Enterprise to beam me directly to SJPdP. Not that there are not other great places to stay in SJPdP but my vote goes to the Beilari. They have a communal dinner and the staff is wonderful. If you are flying into Biarritz from Paris, the lady who runs the shuttle service, Express Bourricot, is an exceptionally nice person and the prices are reasonable.

Thanks - yes we are likely to either fly or train from Paris - looking at some options with Korean - which at least gives us a night in a bed in Seoul and 2 equal segments and into Paris late - which is always my preference rather than having to try and stay awake on arrival.

I am personally gutted that Steve Jobs invented the communicator but not the transporter!

I recently purchased my plane tickets and will be starting my first Camino Frances with a friend at the end of April. It seems like it is still a long way away and at the same time just around the corner.
Thats awesome. So much fun to plan these trips and now you have the tickets in hand. Congratulations!

Hi all, I'm from Brisbane, Australia and the Camino is calling me! I'm planning to do part of it around mid September next year (combining it with a Morocco trip). As I can only take so much time off, I am planning to spend around 7-8 days in Spain in total, including travel time, before flying to Morocco. That would give me 6 days to do walking/sightseeing (I'm not an experience hiker so would like to take it easy). I was set on doing Sarria to Santiago but now I'm tempted to do SJPdP to Pamplona (or maybe a bit further?) instead.

For a first time pilgrim, which section would you recommend out of the two (for mid September)? I would love to do the full 800km one day when I have enough time off (and if I decide after this trip that it's for me).

From what I've gathered Sarria to Santiago can be very crowded, but you do get the Compostela at the end and I think it would give me a sense of achievement of some sort. On the other hand, The Pyrenees area looks beautiful (but very challenging) and if I do end up going back to do the rest of the Camino, it could be better to start at the beginning rather than the end.

TLDR: if you had to pick, Sarria to Santiago or SJPdP to Pamplona?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all, I'm from Brisbane, Australia and the Camino is calling me! I'm planning to do part of it around mid September next year (combining it with a Morocco trip). As I can only take so much time off, I am planning to spend around 7-8 days in Spain in total, including travel time, before flying to Morocco. That would give me 6 days to do walking/sightseeing (I'm not an experience hiker so would like to take it easy). I was set on doing Sarria to Santiago but now I'm tempted to do SJPdP to Pamplona (or maybe a bit further?) instead.

For a first time pilgrim, which section would you recommend out of the two (for mid September)? I would love to do the full 800km one day when I have enough time off (and if I decide after this trip that it's for me).

From what I've gathered Sarria to Santiago can be very crowded, but you do get the Compostela at the end and I think it would give me a sense of achievement of some sort. On the other hand, The Pyrenees area looks beautiful (but very challenging) and if I do end up going back to do the rest of the Camino, it could be better to start at the beginning rather than the end.

Thanks!
I had a similar situation in 2017 (I had 18 walking days) and choose to start in SJPdP instead of a point where I would make it to Santiago. SJPdP to Pamplona was my favorite section so far.

Like many others planning for my 2019 Camino walk started before my 2018 walk ended The 1st 10 days of CF i walked in rain, next year i’m gonna try again Pamplona to Fromista then bus to Astorga for a couple rest days (never got chance to explore last time) then bus or train to Porto and the CP into Santiago, finally to Muxia and Finisterre, which i bused last time. CANT WAIT!!!! Dee

Like many others planning for my 2019 Camino walk started before my 2018 walk ended The 1st 10 days of CF i walked in rain, next year i’m gonna try again Pamplona to Fromista then bus to Astorga for a couple rest days (never got chance to explore last time) then bus or train to Porto and the CP into Santiago, finally to Muxia and Finisterre, which i bused last time. CANT WAIT!!!! Dee
Wow, they must of had a really rainy spring this year!

It sounds like a great plan, I hope I can do the first half of the CF again, there is so much I didn't have time to see the 1st time.

€60,-

Thanks!
Welcome Shierly! My friend Francoise and I are planning our first Camino Frances from SJPdP in September. Francoise is from Melbourne and I am from North Queensland, Mackay. Am not able to advise about where you should start and finish but if dates and stars align we may meet. Good luck with your planning and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back