• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2019

The Class of .. threads were started back in 2007. At that time I had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. My original post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2018?

Buen Camino
Arn

At one time in my life I would have wondered if this or that would have changed if only, I had done such and so
. Now instead of cudda, wudda, shudda, I am blessed to have had many experiences, met many folks (especially on the Forum and walked the Way knowing that since 2007 the Camino will always be there for me and the new Class of...pilgrims on the horizon.

Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
[/
Flying from Los Angeles to Madrid May 25th 2019 on my first Camino. Planning to walk the Camino Frances and as of today with plans on ending in Finisterre. Giving myself just 44 days for this life altering experience that I have until now only read and viewed on YouTube. Member of the American Pilgrim Association with six iPhone apps under my belt for quick reference.

My equipment is everything left over from an attempted 2011 thru hike of the infamous Pacific Crest Trail. My physical training started just last week. My spiritual training is on going.

Hablo muy bien el Espanol. Fortunately or unfortunately I find myself being rather a bit chatty on the trail if given a chance.

Retired at 55 and at sixty the camino is now calling due to life, family, friends passing on to the great adventure.

My family roots according to my DNA are of the Iberian Peninsula and with a Spanish surname of Perez by way of Cuba and then Miami.

Looking forward to some motivation or online words while waiting my departure flight in less than two months.

Rafa
My given trail name

Hello, my name is Deborah and I'm glad to be back on this forum. So... I was planning to walk the camino a couple of years ago, asked The Boss if I could take 6 to 7 weeks off and she said yes. Then my husband was diagnosed with a serious disease and I cancelled my plans. He is doing better now so I am training and planning to go this year. Then my boss tells me today that, oops, the max vacation I can take at a time is 2 weeks. I am trying to negotiate an exception but apparently the most anyone has ever gotten is 3 weeks. In fact I have known people who quit to take a longer vacation.

Coming from the west coast of the US so a long and expensive flight, but I am Willing to Do Whatever it Takes. So I am thinking of a series of trips is going to be my best bet. My plan is to walk the CF since it has a larger population and my husband and I will both be more comfortable knowing there will be quite a few people around for the sake of safety.

So my question is: would it be really weird to walk 2 to 3 weeks then go home then come back a few months later and walk a couple more? Disjointed maybe? Or totally awesome? I am 64 yrs old and want to get this show on the road!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello deborah, your plan is not weird at all, in fact it's what most spaniards do, since they live around the corner. Whenever they have a few days off, they put their boots on and jump to the place they last stopped. So their camino may take a few years to complete, but that's life.

Greetings everyone! And thanks for the great insights. I walked from Leon to Santiago this past September but like many here it got in my blood. So I am returning and will start from SJPPD on 26 Sep for the entire Camino Francés. Thoroughly enjoyed my first Camino though my Spanish was limited. Working to change that this time around. Hope to meet many new friends. Buen Camino!

Hello, my name is Deborah and I'm glad to be back on this forum. So... I was planning to walk the camino a couple of years ago, asked The Boss if I could take 6 to 7 weeks off and she said yes. Then my husband was diagnosed with a serious disease and I cancelled my plans. He is doing better now so I am training and planning to go this year. Then my boss tells me today that, oops, the max vacation I can take at a time is 2 weeks. I am trying to negotiate an exception but apparently the most anyone has ever gotten is 3 weeks. In fact I have known people who quit to take a longer vacation.

Coming from the west coast of the US so a long and expensive flight, but I am Willing to Do Whatever it Takes. So I am thinking of a series of trips is going to be my best bet. My plan is to walk the CF since it has a larger population and my husband and I will both be more comfortable knowing there will be quite a few people around for the sake of safety.

So my question is: would it be really weird to walk 2 to 3 weeks then go home then come back a few months later and walk a couple more? Disjointed maybe? Or totally awesome? I am 64 yrs old and want to get this show on the road!!!
If you are 64 now then a blast of the obvious to me is first (work) on retiring and spending time with your husband and then on walking the Camino. I read somewhere that it is in Americans psyche that we must walk the entire Camino. I agree. Must be a thru hike to get the full meal deal. And now I feel like Camino Abby.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi I am Mark. I live and work in Reading UK, but am lucky enough to have a tiny bolt hole home in magnificent Almeria mountains in southern Spain. (Camino Mozarabe one day maybe?)
I am planning (flights, accomodation in Bayonne, St Jean PP and Roncesvalles all booked) to set off on #Camino2019 on July 24th and aim to reach Santiago around 24/25 August.
Usually a cyclist, I have always dreamt of walking Camino Frances, each time I saw a pilgrim or a blue Camino sign by the roadside the dream just got closer.
Decided it needed to be done before I turn 50 in 2021 so 2019 is the year.
Shoes nicely walked in.
Found a gorgeous scallop on deserted beach in Doñana at Christmas.
Looking forward to meeting a whole load of like-minded souls and interesting folk on My Long Walk 2019

@MayordomoEl
MyLongWalk.net
mylongwalk2019.home.blogView attachment 51066
I bought this St James Cross pendant in one of the souvenir shops in Santiago on a Galicia holiday many moons ago. It was on that trip that I first witnessed the remarkable blend of joy, exhaustion and camaraderie of dishevelled pilgrims in the Praza de Obradoiro. I knew of the Camino a little then, but that was the first of the camino seeds in my head. So it was with great joy that I found the little red cross in amongst some old bits and bobs in a drawer last week – now I am more a scientist than a believer, but I do believe in fate – this little cross was bought ages ago, has sat in the darkest recesses of a drawer for over 10 years and was meant to be found at this exact time. The little red cross was always destined to make the journey back to Santiago. So I set about attaching it to my favourite scallop shell, a grey black one from the incredible, long, unspoilt sandy beach of Mazagon, Doñana in Cadiz. Perhaps it too was destined for more than just being washed up, picked up, looked at momentarily and discarded like so many others. So I have my own very personal pilgrim scallop shell attached to my backpack. It is strange but it has already made me feel like a ‘peregrino’.

If you are 64 now then a blast of the obvious to me is first (work) on retiring and spending time with your husband and then on walking the Camino. I read somewhere that it is in Americans psyche that we must walk the entire Camino. I agree. Must be a thru hike to get the full meal deal. And now I feel like Camino Abby.
Hi Trawlercat, thanks for the response. LOL at "Camino Abby"!! I would love to retire, in fact I already did, but had to go back to work due to financial troubles. So, until the mortgage is paid, I will be working full time. I work from home so get a lot of time with my husband, which is great, and since his medical prognosis at this time is looking good, I'm thinking that completing the CF in two stages will work. Meanwhile, I'm planning my gear and getting my travel arrangements ready, leaving May 31st for SJPDP

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all, I'm from Brisbane, Australia and the Camino is calling me! I'm planning to do part of it around mid September next year (combining it with a Morocco trip). As I can only take so much time off, I am planning to spend around 7-8 days in Spain in total, including travel time, before flying to Morocco. That would give me 6 days to do walking/sightseeing (I'm not an experience hiker so would like to take it easy). I was set on doing Sarria to Santiago but now I'm tempted to do SJPdP to Pamplona (or maybe a bit further?) instead.

For a first time pilgrim, which section would you recommend out of the two (for mid September)? I would love to do the full 800km one day when I have enough time off (and if I decide after this trip that it's for me).

From what I've gathered Sarria to Santiago can be very crowded, but you do get the Compostela at the end and I think it would give me a sense of achievement of some sort. On the other hand, The Pyrenees area looks beautiful (but very challenging) and if I do end up going back to do the rest of the Camino, it could be better to start at the beginning rather than the end.

TLDR: if you had to pick, Sarria to Santiago or SJPdP to Pamplona?

Thanks!
Maybe Lugo to Santiago and then on to the ocean which took me three days(Take the Camino Verde out of Lugo).

Hi, I'm Cary from Colorado, USA. I am walking the del Norte/Primitivo routes beginning early May 2019. Flights are booked, gear is gathered and I have 7 weeks to get myself to Santiago. This walk has been my desire since 2010. Just lost my Mom in January so this walk will be in her honor.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mike

Thanks for your message, my “rules” I have become too hung up on are those in life in general, I’m pretty familiar with forum rules.

It’s the hang of life’s rules and who fights them, the wrongs and rights with them that have pushed me to mental health break downs and my lost faith for which I hope the Camino will help me with.

Buen Camino
Hi John, I hope you get to go on the Camino as planned and find your way back to your balanced happy life. Good luck and God bless.

I walked my first Camino last fall going from Porto to SdC and like many others I can't stop thinking/planning my next one. I also am planning on going solo this time to walk the full CF next September, God willing. Might just catch up with you along the way!
HI Maureen, I hope you're still planning on walking your camino this year! My plans have now changed and I'll be walking the Frances starting April 11 now with a friend. I'm so excited as I get to go earlier than first planned. Buen Camino!

Hi all, am walking my first part of the camino in April, starting from Sarria on the 13th!

I know this is the far busier / touristy section, but I did want to complete this first before looking at doing other sections next year... ease myself in so to speak. Very much looking forward to it :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Starting what I hope with be the first of many Camino's on May 2nd.. Portuguese way from Tui to Santiago. We have 6 days of walking so will be taking our time and savoring every minute. 10 weeks to go 😀

Hi all, am walking my first part of the camino in April, starting from Sarria on the 13th!

I know this is the far busier / touristy section, but I did want to complete this first before looking at doing other sections next year... ease myself in so to speak. Very much looking forward to it :D
Hello , wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino , Peter .🙏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Lorenzo , have a wonderful journey.
And don't forget that the Napoleon route is stil closed.
Enjoy, Peter .
Thanks Peter! And yes, I did read online that the Napoleon route is still closed. Whilst I will miss seeing the views from the Pyrenees I think the Valcarlos route has its own unique aspects too.

Hi all! John here. Will be doing the Primitivo starting from Oviedo on Easter Sunday, April 21st. Looking forward to see what the Camino has in store for me this time!

€60,-
Thanks Peter! And yes, I did read online that the Napoleon route is still closed. Whilst I will miss seeing the views from the Pyrenees I think the Valcarlos route has its own unique aspects too.
The Valcarlos route is a nice walk to , enjoy.

Plane tickets booked, as is some accommodation.
Camino Portuguese from Lisbon beginning May 25th!
Walking as far as Coimbra this year, then back to Lisbon to be a tourist!

If we manage this part of the PC, my hubby and I will have walked nearly the full length of the Iberian Peninsula! It’s taken us five years, but what’s the rush!

Are any others out there at a similar time?

All I seem to see are people walking from Porto north, it’s going to be quite busy up there I think!

It's a freezing, blizzardy day here in Michigan in the USA, but my friend Craig and I will be joining all of you on the CF before too long. We begin May 2 from SJPdP. My second Camino and Craig's first. Perhaps we'll meet some of you along The Way.

Click here for a video summary of my 2016 CF.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Starting in in SJPDP on 3 April. :)
Nothing planned, totally unprepared, but last night I spontaneously booked a one-way ticket. Sometimes you need to be spontaneous, right?

Nothing wrong with spontaneity!!! Hope your legs are in good shape!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello all,

Planned to do my camino in 2015 but couldn't (long story) and now I am back again starting my Camino in April 2019. Plan is to start walking from SJPDP April 7th, flights booked bags packed and ready to go.
My girlfriend and I are excited to experience the camino and of course meet fellow pilgrims along the way!

Hope to see some of you out there!

Matt and Kathleen from Canada

Hey everybody!

I spontaneously decided to walk the Camino Frances this september after watching some hiking documentaries on youtube, and after some googling I found this amazing forum where all of my questions found some answers. Super informative to read all the tips and advice from people who already walked the walk! Currently finishing my packing list and planning my daily kms, looking forward to my first camino adventure, if you also start in september please shoot me a message! :)

Greetings and buen camino!
Toni

Hey everybody!

I spontaneously decided to walk the Camino Frances this september after watching some hiking documentaries on youtube, and after some googling I found this amazing forum where all of my questions found some answers. Super informative to read all the tips and advice from people who already walked the walk! Currently finishing my packing list and planning my daily kms, looking forward to my first camino adventure, if you also start in september please shoot me a message! :)

Toni

Hey Toni,

I'm gonna be heading out, subject to everything coming together in mid-Sept 2019. Any idea when you're planning to hit the trail? I'm expecting to start 11-14 Sept.

€60,-
I’m setting off in September too!

Landing in Biarritz around 5pm on Thursday 5th September 2019.

Then heading to St jean pied de Porte for the night, get up and start walking… hoping to end up in Finisterre around a month later …

Not tackled anything like this before. Should be fun :)

Hey everybody!

Toni
My sister and I step out from SJPP 24th September :)

Hi everyone,
I was originally of the class of 2014 but after one day of walking I had to return home as my husband fell severely ill and I had to return home immediately. He passed away a few days later.
Five years later, I am planning to continue from Pamplona in July, starting between the end of the school year and before the San Fermin. Planning again, back on this forum again, has dredged up a lot of pain and anxiety and irrational thought (if I go again someone else I love will die).
So undoubtedly it's a bit of PTSD I am experiencing, since I am not prone to anxiety or paranoia by nature.
Now, having got my personal elephant in the room out of the way--I can also say that I am also full of contradictory thoughts of excitement and (healthy) nerves, and the thrill of planning and thinking about equipment and what to wear and how light can I get my pack and will that brand new hammertoe cause real issues on the Camino because even over 5 km it starts me limping...so normal pre-Camino jitters.
I am glad to be back.

Hi everyone,
I was originally of the class of 2014 but after one day of walking I had to return home as my husband fell severely ill and I had to return home immediately. He passed away a few days later.
Five years later, I am planning to continue from Pamplona in July, starting between the end of the school year and before the San Fermin. Planning again, back on this forum again, has dredged up a lot of pain and anxiety and irrational thought (if I go again someone else I love will die).
So undoubtedly it's a bit of PTSD I am experiencing, since I am not prone to anxiety or paranoia by nature.
Now, having got my personal elephant in the room out of the way--I can also say that I am also full of contradictory thoughts of excitement and (healthy) nerves, and the thrill of planning and thinking about equipment and what to wear and how light can I get my pack and will that brand new hammertoe cause real issues on the Camino because even over 5 km it starts me limping...so normal pre-Camino jitters.
I am glad to be back.
Might see you on Frances somewhere - leaving SJPP on July 24th

Yes, to being part of the Class of 2019 (Canadian contingent)! My sister and I are planning for the Camino Frances, SJPP down to Finisterre in September-October. Have been gladly gleaning all of the great advice from the forums for this adventure - our first Camino experience.

Last edited:
Yes, to being part of the Class of 2019 (Canadian contingent)! My sister and I are planning for the Camino Frances, SJPP down to Finisterre in September-October. Have been gladly gleaning all of the great advice from the forums for this adventure - our first Camino experience.
Might see you along the way! My sister and I are also September-October. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Anyone leaving SJPP in June?

I might, I’ll be landing in Barcelona on the morning of the 28th, but have yet to fully commit to the Norte... so I may be on the Frances once more

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So I am going to make the same suggestion I just made for the class of 2020. If forum members would use the calendar more, it would be much easier to see who is leaving when. Ivar has given us great instructions. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...your-camino-to-the-new-camino-calendar.30392/

It is a bit more complicated than just adding a post here that says “I’m leaving from Alicante on September 20” but it is potentially a much easier way for people to connect with others. You have to start your own thread to be able to post on the calendar, but come on guys, you can do it!

Well it's my first time posting after gleaning these posts over the past two years ... Many thanks to everyone for their insights and advice. I walked Leon to Sarria in 2017 solo and very much enjoying my own head space for the first time in what seemed like decades (married with two teenagers and running our hotel) 😃. I returned to writing (something I had not done for 25years and discovered exactly what direction I wanted my life to progress in ...yay!
This time I am returning with the family to walk 10 days from Ponferrada, and well aware I will have to have a different mindset, and quite excited to share the experience with my husband and teenagers. We then head to the Uk over the Easter period to visit husband's family. My family head home to Oz and I am returning to Logrono to start a two week solo walk again. This time however I'm employing a third mindset .. Slowdown and enjoy the characters I meet on the road. I've gain headspace over the last few years meditating and journalling and now I want to enjoy the people and their stories.
Looking forward to meeting a few of you along the journey. ❤️ Mim

Seems like it is toxic to mention walking the Frances in mid-summer - but I'll do it anyway ...
Anyone leaving SJPP around St James' Day and walking through first 3 weeks of August?
I know it will be busy ...
I know it will be hot ....

Hi Pilgrims, great to hear everyone’s story, and it’s nice to be part of it! Setting off on 25 April for my 3rd stroll from SJPDP. Was going to wait until next year when I’m 70, but why wait? Hope to see some of you along the way. Buen Camino!

Hi Pilgrims, great to hear everyone’s story, and it’s nice to be part of it! Setting off on 25 April for my 3rd stroll from SJPDP. Was going to wait until next year when I’m 70, but why wait? Hope to see some of you along the way. Buen Camino!
I like the word "stroll" :) How many days did your first 2 take? Good luck with it anyway . Buen Camino

So I decided today that in two weeks I will walk a German Minicamino starting in Koblenz, walking the 154 km to Trier. I have about 6 days to walk it, should be enough. And I saw a lot of places to camp, so I'm thinking about taking my tent. A few years ago I took a train from Trier to Koblenz and it looked so pretty, today I found out there is actually a camino called Mosel Camino! How can I not walk it?

Hi Vaughan, time wise I don’t like to hang around, my first took 30 days and second 28 days. I should have taken it slower but I was enjoying myself. Spent 3 nights in Santiago, which was good. I am allowing myself 31 days this time... I’m getting on a bit! Buen Camino

Hi Vaughan, time wise I don’t like to hang around, my first took 30 days and second 28 days. I should have taken it slower but I was enjoying myself. Spent 3 nights in Santiago, which was good. I am allowing myself 31 days this time... I’m getting on a bit! Buen Camino
Pretty quick still! This will be my first attempt and I have the luxury of 34 days! I will be doing everything I can to finish on the 20th May - the 100th anniversary of my Father's birth. Buen Camino

Pretty quick still! This will be my first attempt and I have the luxury of 34 days! I will be doing everything I can to finish on the 20th May - the 100th anniversary of my Father's birth. Buen Camino

Hi Vaughan,

That is a great reason to want to complete your camino on a particular day. Nail the longer days in the first few weeks, and you can cruise into Santiago at a slightly slower pace to meet your goal. My first camino was the last fortnight along with my old man, so I know how important it is to see and match your father's steps.

Best
Rhun

You'll enjoy it Ryan, despite the sore feet, legs, back and... everything else.
Buen Camino!

Hi everyone,

I’ve wanted to walk the Camino for years - and walking it this particular year was symbolic. Life gets in the way sometimes and I didn’t think I’d be able to make it work for this year, but my husband and sister have really supported me in this, more than I could hope. Kinda stunned.

So, I start the CF at SJPP this April 24!

This forum has been simply amazing for answering questions (some I didn’t know I had to ask!), so thank you.

Greetings, Friends! The bride and I will set off on our first Camino from SJPP on April 15th, along with 3 friends. Our connections as a group all go back to Colorado State University in Ft. Collins in the late '70s/early 80s...long-time friends! And the bride and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary along the way in early May. Looking forward to seeing some of you along the route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi kbgambs, just be careful it doesn’t suck you in and make you part of the Camino family! Enjoy the Way and The Walk and the Pilgrims. Buen Camino!

Hi all! I'm doing my first Camino, the Camino Frances, this year! Actually starting in about 2 weeks (April 24). I can't believe I just now found this forum! Would love to meet some of y'all along the way.
Good luck and Buen Camino! I'm starting a week before you - you might catch me because its not a race

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hopefully see you along the trail somewhere Deborah.

I am starting from St Jean on Apri 17th. Walked the whole route and to Finnistre/Muxia Sept/Oct 2016. If this experience is half as good as that it will be fantastic! 👍

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well it's my first time posting after gleaning these posts over the past two years ... Many thanks to everyone for their insights and advice. I walked Leon to Sarria in 2017 solo and very much enjoying my own head space for the first time in what seemed like decades (married with two teenagers and running our hotel) 😃. I returned to writing (something I had not done for 25years and discovered exactly what direction I wanted my life to progress in ...yay!
This time I am returning with the family to walk 10 days from Ponferrada, and well aware I will have to have a different mindset, and quite excited to share the experience with my husband and teenagers. We then head to the Uk over the Easter period to visit husband's family. My family head home to Oz and I am returning to Logrono to start a two week solo walk again. This time however I'm employing a third mindset .. Slowdown and enjoy the characters I meet on the road. I've gain headspace over the last few years meditating and journalling and now I want to enjoy the people and their stories.
Looking forward to meeting a few of you along the journey. ❤ Mim
Hi Mim, I walked Leon to Santiago solo last September and couldn’t wait to get back and do the Francés from SJPDP. I too loved the solo walk however I’m looking forward to walking with my husband this time. We are from Perth and will start our walk on 21st April fro SJPDP so may see you on the way. Buen Camino

Hi,
now my plans are definite. I found a walking companion and thus we will start from Seville on May 29 th, just after the pilgrim´s service in the cathedral. She has her return flight from Madrid on June 19th, whereas I have two more days left. We aim to reach Salamanca together, so it is very likely that I can reach Zamora (which would allow me to finish the Via - Camino Sanabrés in another 2-weeks-holiday).

BC
Alexandra

€46,-
Greetings to all 2019 pilgrims!

We had not planned to go on a Camino for this year at all, but then again it took very little to get me going again (about one second) and therefore we'll be taking our backpacks and head out to Spanish soil once again.

My theme for this year is :" Actually, I can". Therefore, the yellow arrows will be pointing towards Camino del Norte and eventually the Primitivo despite my fear of hights.

This time our Camino will be split in parts. Together with my husband we want to enjoy every moment together, smell the roses and create new wonderful memories also from both the Norte and the Primitivo.

This Camino will be our sixth, we will walk it as a thanksgiving to God and in honour of our love for each other.
(25 years ago we said to each other "I do" and still we stride on our path side by side with our hearts filled with love and our minds full of gratitude.
We are parents to four already grown-up children and our faces are adorned with some wrinkles from the life we have lived, but not a single day has passed without us saying "I love you" to each other.)

Buen Camino!

The Class of .. threads were started back in 2007. At that time I had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. My original post:

It appears from the current number of folks at this thread, that there is a significant number of fellow pilgrims in the mid-to-final stages of the planning for their Camino. I have also noticed a decidedly large number of folks observing from the fringes.

It's been my observation, that most folks don't "accidentally" come across a site such as this. They have a purpose and, if that purpose is to seek out information, therefore why not declare yourself by joining the site along with we peregrinos...past, present and soon to be. Start your Camino from right there in the comfort of your own home, but start it with the knowledge that there are folks that you want to meet and will want to meet you in return.

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.

Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2018?

Buen Camino
Arn

At one time in my life I would have wondered if this or that would have changed if only, I had done such and so
. Now instead of cudda, wudda, shudda, I am blessed to have had many experiences, met many folks (especially on the Forum and walked the Way knowing that since 2007 the Camino will always be there for me and the new Class of...pilgrims on the horizon.

Arn
Hello 2019 Class:

My husband and I will be beginning our first Camino(Portugese) on May 28th from Barcelos to Santiago giving ourselves a slower pace. We have been extending our walks but there's a reason our son in law calls us the Hobbit people (affectionally). Too many second breakfasts over the years. We are celebrating our 65th birthdays with our first long distanct walking trip. Wanted to say thank you to Arn and all the other folks who has posted. Learned so much about preparation and the process from all of you. Looking forward to possibly meeting some of you along the way. Rick and Susan

Hi Class of 2019!

My dream is coming true and after 20 years of wishing and hoping, I'm finally going on my first camino. I'm a teacher from the Seattle area and will be walking the CF starting in SJPdP on June 20. I plan to be there for the fireworks on July 24 in SdC, God willing.

I hope to see some of you on the way!

Aires

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Class of 2019!

My dream is coming true and after 20 years of wishing and hoping, I'm finally going on my first camino. I'm a teacher from the Seattle area and will be walking the CF starting in SJPdP on June 20. I plan to be there for the fireworks on July 24 in SdC, God willing.

I hope to see some of you on the way!

Aires
Greetings Aires,
I start 6 days earlier from SJPdP, but will not be walking long distances, so good chance you will catch up to me.
Buen Camino

!Buen Camino! I will be starting my first Camino from Leon on May 18. I arrive in Madrid on May 17, will take the bus to Leon, and start walking the next day. I'm leaving plenty of time (seemingly), as my flight home from Madrid is on June 11. I'm planning to arrive in Santiago around June 4. Looking forward to meeting new friends and experiencing Spanish food and wine!

My friend's father just started from Astorga, made it to Rabanal the first day. He's got a 2 1/2 week head start on me, so I doubt I'll catch up with him.

Hello 2019 Class:

My husband and I will be beginning our first Camino(Portugese) on May 28th from Barcelos to Santiago giving ourselves a slower pace. We have been extending our walks but there's a reason our son in law calls us the Hobbit people (affectionally). Too many second breakfasts over the years. We are celebrating our 65th birthdays with our first long distanct walking trip. Wanted to say thank you to Arn and all the other folks who has posted. Learned so much about preparation and the process from all of you. Looking forward to possibly meeting some of you along the way. Rick and Susan

I'm turning 65 (!!) also this year and also walking the Camino Portugues, starting from Porto on June 6th.

€60,-
Just booked my flight. Arriving in Biarritz airport on May 6th at 17.35. Make my way to SJDP and visit pilgrim office first thing Tuesday morning. Hit the trail after that and looking forward to whatever happens. I am from Ireland and giving myself an early 50th birthday present.

I am arriving in Madrid on Sunday, and will continue my Camino from Boadilla del Camino on Monday.

My sister and I will be doing CF in September, but only from O'cebrerio. We had an incredible experience doing the Portuguese in 2011, and despite saying I wouldn't do another, here I am, excited to be training and gathering my gear together.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My sister and I will be doing CF in September, but only from O'cebrerio. We had an incredible experience doing the Portuguese in 2011, and despite saying I wouldn't do another, here I am, excited to be training and gathering my gear together.
Great!! I'm sure you don't need too much training. At least, assuming that 419 is not your age....

9 more work days and I start to make my way out of the arctic and head to warmer climes! Would be in Lisbon on the 5th of June and start making my way to Santiago. Had planned to go last year but couldn’t get away from work. Can’t wait!

OK - so having just come out of winter hibernation here in Canada....... time to post here. Plan to be on the Way from St Jay Sept/Oct as I see several others here! CF completo or partial depends on good behaviour from knee and back!!
Have my Compostela as I did whole Camino previously St.J to SdC. Been back twice since for 500km each time. I would like to do the whole and so will most likely be sending my pack forward this time. You will probably recognize me - the snail paced elder. Need discipline as I tend to go faster than I should!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Everyone, I have just booked my flights for this Tuesday (11th June) Glasgow to Biarritz (via Birmingham). I am spending the night in Biarritz as it seems that the last train is at 18:30 the days I was looking at flying out. I should be arriving in St Jean Pied de Port at 8:40 on Wednesday morning and was hoping I would be able to grab my pilgrims passport(s) and get going but maybe just to Orisson as 9am seems like a late start by Camino standards. Anyone else planning to get hiking as soon as they reach SJPdP or is everyone spending the night there first?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It will be a Christmas 🎄 Camino for me in 2019! Arriving in Santiago on Dec 16, then starting from Sarria on Dec 18. Ending with a few days in Santiago and Madrid before heading home on the 29th. I wanted to experience it without the crowds & with the Christmas magic in the air.

My countdown says 34 days till I start the Frances - just so excited! Anyone else heading to StJPP around 24 July? Apparently the camino will be heaving in August but apparently not with people on this forum! I know it's going to be hot (better than cold) and busy (but I have 6.5 weeks holiday and it means I can do the whole shebang in one go!)

We are planning our 3rd Camino starting August 24 - Our first in May 2017, was short as I hyper-extended my knee on the walk down to Roncevalles from Orisson. Each day I hoped would be better, but I walked less and less, finally giving up in Logrono. There was an airport, and they had one flight per day to Madrid. We flew home where I convalesced for weeks, always feeling bad about quitting so early. So, once healed, we used accumulated miles to book another trip a few months later, in Sept 2017. We scaled back on our daily walk, and started in Leon. It was perfect. We had such an adventure! And arriving in SdC was amazing. Since then, we have told ourselves we are too busy, too old, already did that, etc. but the Camino was calling and one day, we answered. We fly to Madrid August 24 and are giddy as can be. This time, we will begin where we left off, in Logrono. We will walk and laugh and cry, and most of all, feel blessed to be on the Camino.

€60,-
Hello!

I'm filled with butterflies as I see the date of my flight to Madrid approaching in only 2 months - it's kind of hard to think or talk about much else aside from my camino plans. Right now I know for certain I'll arrive in Madrid on Monday, Sept 2nd and depart on Wednesday the 18th. The rest is pretty nebulous at the moment, but I suppose that's part of the thrill. This trip will be my first time in Europe, first ever solo travel, and first camino.

I'm a huge fan of Art History and especially love cathedrals, chapels, churches, & monasteries. I'd like to find the route that will give me the best opportunities along those lines, and while earning my compostella would be very nice it is not a dealbreaker to end somewhere other than Santiago. I know in my bones there will be more caminos in the years ahead.

This forum has been a wonderful resource - I'm glad to have officially joined and look forward to meeting others, either here or on the way. Buen camino!

Good Day fellow Class of 2019 Pilgrims,

I leave SJPdP on 13 Sept (Friday the 13th!) for my first Camino. Flights booked, will spend two nights at Bellari in SJPdP to acclimate (strong recommendation on that albergue on this Forum). I thank everyone with an e-connection for their words of wisdom!

Buen Camino! 😺

I am also SUPER excited to be starting my 2nd Camino Sept 10th actually starting from Pamplona the 13th giving myself a couple days to get over jet lag before starting. Unlike many others I am walking to Sarria then busing to Porto to do the Coastal route to Santiago then off to Finisterre and Muxia! Feeling blessed to have 7 weeks. On the forum every day trying to control my antsys. Hope to meet some of you along the way. Buen Camino!

My first start on the Camino. Am starting on the Chemin de Paris in Chartres France on the 1st September 2019 to see how I go. Will go to Tours then maybe a little further, only 10 days this year.

Still no-one appears willing to admit to setting off late-july/early august.
C'mon there must be someone out there who is using the summer vacation to walk CF!?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back