• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clothing on the Via de la Plata

Glade

Time of past OR future Camino
late March 2025
Hi everyone, i have been getting some really good advice from everyone. And i was hoping to ask for some more.
I was thinking of wearing nylon running shorts that come down to about 10cm above the knee on my pilgrimage.
I do not feel the cold in my legs after working in Antarctia for 3 years, so having the shorts would be a great way to drop weight in my pack, and also be easy to clean and wash.
Would i be making a mistake?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
It depends on when you will be walking.
I walk all of my Caminos in Merino wool dresses - I wear leggings underneath when it's cold. Maybe being a pair of lightweight leggings? You could also sleep in them.

Do you often wear shorts? I rarely do and on rare occasions have found my legs becoming uncomfortably sunburned when wearing shorts. If your legs are accustomed to the UV levels you can expect on the VdlP then it is probably OK. Bear in mind that temperatures can be well below zero during the winter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Hi everyone, i have been getting some really good advice from everyone. And i was hoping to ask for some more.
I was thinking of wearing nylon running shorts that come down to about 10cm above the knee on my pilgrimage.
I do not feel the cold in my legs after working in Antarctia for 3 years, so having the shorts would be a great way to drop weight in my pack, and also be easy to clean and wash.
I think you should be fine. I also donā€™t feel the cold on my legs. I guess coldest place I have been is minus 10/15/20 C and shorts was absolutely fine. Everyone thought I was weird but hey ho! I couldnā€™t walk any distance in trousers / jeans anywayā€¦ would be far too restricting for me, physically and mentally. Similarly I just canā€™t wear anything in bed.

Itā€™s not that unusual. My son in law alway wears shorts. He a a UK postman and many of them live in shorts!

Not feeling the cold on your legs in very specific to a minority of the population and those that do (feel the cold) struggle to understand it! I have got sick of being questioned about it over the years and thought about making a T-shirt saying ā€˜itā€™s ok, my legs donā€™t feel the coldā€™!

What temps have you been comfortable in shorts on? Thatā€™s your answer!

Last edited:
Well, you can try it and if you are too cold, stop and buy a pair of pants or leggings. There are stores in Spain (probably not in Antartica!) so you could play it by ear for a few days until you get to a bigger town if you need different gear. Also check the "give away" box at albergues if you need something as there may be pants or tights there, too.

It really depends on the time of year. I left Seville late April and walked all of May. It was extremely hot until a couple of days before Salamanca. From there on the weather was mixed with cold starts and warm days. I wore shorts (brought 2 pairs) the whole time. I had one pair of trousers and regretted the extra weight. I also used merino wool shirts and underwear. This was the first time I used them and I can vouch for their Ā« anti hikerā€™s stink Ā» properties. On the colder mornings I was glad of some light gloves.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thankyou everyone, I seem to work in extremes. When i was in Antarctia, it would go from about -10 C to -60 C, and i now work in the mining industry here in OZ which can go from 0c to 45+C I guess it couldn't hurt to get a pair of pants that zip off. Thanks again for all the advice.

Some people suggest taking 2 pairs of convertible pants with zipped-on lower legs, but take only one pair of the leg parts. Be sure that they are super-comfortable for walking - test all items you will use while walking, by walking at home for 15 km or so, 2 or 3 days in a row.

(My advice about shorts is next to useless for you, since I wear only long pants, and never convertible ones!)

Thankyou everyone, I seem to work in extremes. When i was in Antarctia, it would go from about -10 C to -60 C, and i now work in the mining industry here in OZ which can go from 0c to 45+C I guess it couldn't hurt to get a pair of pants that zip off. Thanks again for all the advice.
How did you find -60 C in shorts and how did it compare to -20 C. Massive difference?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
How did you find -60 C in shorts and how did it compare to -20 C. Massive difference?
It was cold, winter and summer down there were totally insane. But i did wear shorts inside, and only wore pants wheni had to go outside and refuel or fix the generators or anything else that needed fixing lol.

It was cold, winter and summer down there were totally insane. But i did wear shorts inside, and only wore pants wheni had to go outside and refuel or fix the generators or anything else that needed fixing lol.
Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One suggestion is to wear the shorts you describe and buy a pair of Lycra cycling pull ups. They are tight and go from just above the knee a bit below half way down the calf. They have a tacky band to hold them up on your bare skin. I Wear them with cycling shorts in the winter and you can take them off easily. They are very light weight, quite warm and wash easily and dry quickly. You can even put them on down and they dry out in few minutes

I found I could easily wear shorts down to 1 C in wind and rain.
The main thing for me was to have a warm core and my merino t- shirts / light fleece / light rain jacket combo achieved this.
Unlike @Robo my skin is pretty sun friendly so I donā€™t need to cover up so much in the sun (I use sun screen) but still took my UV umbrella for the southern heat.

Not at all. I walk all my Caminos and local Tasmania walks in shorts no matter the season. I do take leggings for night wear in winter or a light weight dress in summer. Enjoy VDLP itā€™s a lovely walk

Not at all. I walk all my Caminos and local Tasmania walks in shorts no matter the season. I do take leggings for night wear in winter or a light weight dress in summer. Enjoy VDLP itā€™s a lovely walk
I second the leggings

I'm not going to dispute your cold tolerance. I live in Canada and have a friend who wears shorts all winter.

But be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen and use it more consistently than I did.
David, I live in a city near to you, so similar temps. I'm barefoot in sandals and clogs all year long. I get some strange looks and always those questions about cold feet. lol Have you noticed that the UPS delivery people are in shorts year round?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
David, I live in a city near to you, so similar temps. I'm barefoot in sandals and clogs all year long. I get some strange looks and always those questions about cold feet. lol Have you noticed that the UPS delivery people are in shorts year round?
Same with UK postwomen and postmen! I am a bit confused with this thread. If your legs donā€™t donā€™t feel the cold in the Antarctic, they wonā€™t in Spain. Also for folks who dont have this ā€˜conditionā€™ I am not sure why you would take their advice as their legs feel the cold in the same way that most people do! Maybe I am missing something!

I walked in January 2020. In shorts.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.