• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feedback on Final Clothing List

arfajajc

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Ok, here's one more post to add to the hundreds about what clothing to take on the Camino...

This is my first Camino and I'm walking from SJPP to SDC starting on April 17th. I know the weather can include any combination of wind, rain, snow, hail, sun and scorching heat, locusts, plagues etc.

I REALLY want to keep my pack weight down, so am struggling with a few final decisions about clothing. I've greatly benefitted from the knowledge of members as I've been following the forum over the past months, so would greatly appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.

I have a very lightweight backpack (Gossamer Gear G4-20 @ 700g) and down sleeping bag (400g) and am reasonably comfortable with the weight of my remaining personal items and toiletries etc.

FYI, I'm a reasonably fit 60 year old and weigh 60kg.

My overall weight is currently adding up to around 6-7kg without water or snacks but I really prefer not to carry that much if possible. Would love to keep it at or below 6kg including consumables if possible, without giving up the odd "luxury item".

My clothing list to date (including worn items):

TOPS:
2 singlet/bras: total 120g
2 short sleeve merino Tshirts: 220g
1 light long sleeve merino blend hooded Tshirt: 163g
1 superlight hooded windbreaker (adds considerable warm for tiny weight): 90g
1 lightweight fleece hoody: 273g (Do I need this?)
1 light down jacket: 180g
1 Goretex hooded jacket: 277g

BOTTOMS:
1 hiking shorts: 100g
1 convertible hiking pants/shorts: 282g
1 comfortable easy casual pants: 248g (yes, "luxury" item #1, but having something super comfy to wear in Albergues after arrival and to go out for meals, wandering around etc would be so nice...)
1 lightweight long sundress: 172g (Luxury item #2. Dries instantly, no wrinkle, no fuss, pretty, ditto per the above.)
1 rain pants: 140g
3 pairs undies: 50g
3 pairs wool socks: 195g

ACCESSORIES:
Baseball cap: 76g
Sunhat: weight tbc
Beanie: 41g (Do I need this if I can use my buff as a warmish hat?)
Merino buff: 41g
Shemagh/scarf: 174g
Light gloves 35g
Short gaiters 42g

FOOTWEAR:
Altra Lone Peak 7 shoes: 570g
Bedrock hiking sandals: 446g (These are heavy-ish but I love them and may end up being able to use them to walk much of my Camino - weather, locusts and plagues allowing).

What should I leave behind?

Many thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love riding too!
OK- I walked a VERY VERY rainy camino SJPDP to SDC late Sept/Oct/early Nov 2023. My suggestions:

TOPS:
2 singlet/bras: total 120g YES
2 short sleeve merino Tshirts: 220g YES
1 light long sleeve merino blend hooded Tshirt: 163g ; no hood - the hood adds weight.
1 superlight hooded windbreaker (adds considerable warm for tiny weight): 90g YES
1 lightweight fleece hoody: 273g (Do I need this?) NO
1 light down jacket: 180g; maybe. Consider synthetic?
1 Goretex hooded jacket: 277g NO
--- You will warm up considerably when you walk.

BOTTOMS:
--- MOST people rarely use the "convertible" option. The zipper to "convert" adds a lot of weight, too.

1 comfortable easy casual pants: 248g (yes, "luxury" item #1, but having something super comfy to wear in Albergues after arrival and to go out for meals, wandering around etc would be so nice...)
--- NO, sorry....
--- Too much legwear. 1 pr shorts and 1 pr long pants is sufficient.

1 lightweight long sundress: 172g (Luxury item #2. Dries instantly, no wrinkle, no fuss, pretty, ditto per the above.)
--- sorry - NO
1 rain pants: 140g NO. With a good poncho you dont need rainpants. Or just wear shorts. Legs dry fast.

3 pairs undies: 50g YES
3 pairs wool socks: 195g. YES. Consider 4pr. and consider toesocks. They are great for blister prevention.

ACCESSORIES:
Beanie: 41g (Do I need this if I can use my buff as a warmish hat?) NO
- -- That's a lot of head-ish gear. Baseball cap YES to use under poncho when it rains. SUNHAT: no. Use a scarf or towel or something similiar under your baseball cap to shield your head from the sun as needed. Think Laurence of Arabia.

Light gloves 35g MAYBE. You can wear wool socks on your hands for warmth. Double-duty.
Short gaiters 42g NO, I brought some with me and ended up donating them within a week. Did not regret the decision. Not worth the weight.

FOOTWEAR:
Altra Lone Peak 7 shoes: 570g.
--- Are you sure these provide enough support? There are many tracks that are extremely rocky and uneven on the CF. I tried the Lone Peaks and although they were super-comfy and great for easy walks/runs, after a few hikes at home I returned them for a pair of Altra Olympus 5.

Bedrock hiking sandals: 446g (These are heavy-ish but I love them and may end up being able to use them to walk much of my Camino - weather, locusts and plagues allowing). NO. Chose very lightweight and cheap flipflops to wear in albergues and for the showers. Take shoes OR hiking sandals. Not both.
IF you find you really need/want sandals you can buy them in Spain,

Buen Camino, Amiga!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would choose between the casual pants and the dress. Personally I bring leggings and my softest tee shirt to wear in the afternoon and to bed.

I say take either the baseball cap or sun hat but you don’t need both. Same with the buff versus scarf. Although I do bring a buff and a scarf but I don’t wear my scarf I use it as a wrap getting out of the shower and then as a pillow cover.

Buen Camino!

I think you could leave behind the fleece hoody, gaiters, and beanie.

I don't see why you would need the windbreaker since you can wear the Goretex jacket for the same purpose. (I prefer the rain jacket and pants over a poncho.)

Do you really need the Shemagh/scarf at 174g? Some people mention use as a towel or privacy screen, but it is something that could be left behind.

Now the big question is what else are you taking? You will probably have opportunities to cut weight in the electronics, toiletries, and odds and ends.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You might consider plugging every piece of gear and its weight into a list on Lighterpack.com.

- 90g: I agree with C clearly - leave the windbreaker behind, you can use your rain jacket as a windbreaker.

- 153 to 273g: Your fleece hoody is heavy. I agree with trecile that you may not need both the fleece and the down jacket. If you are cold-natured and are still bringing a fleece, consider swapping to an Alpha Direct fleece crewneck like a Senchi Crewneck. It will weigh about 120g in size XL. You do not need the hoodie version, you have plenty of other head-warming gear.

- 95 to 112g: Your Goretex hooded jacket (I assume this is your rain jacket) is also heavy, especially when you consider that you pair it with rain pants. An Altus poncho in size M/L weighs 322g and will allow you to leave your rain pants behind (plus if you buy from the forum store you can support the forum!) If you don't like ponchos, a Montbell Versalite rain jacket weighs 165g in size XL. Montbell is expensive though.

- 58 to 248g: Your casual pants are too heavy. You have an entire casual outfit in the dress, so do you really need casual pants, too? I would leave them behind. If you must have them, swap to something lighter (aim around 190g or less).

- ?g: Take a sunhat or a ballcap, not both. (Can't calculate because sunhat weight is not present).

- 58 to 174g: Scarf/shemagh: what is this scarf made of, and how big is it? I have an organic cotton scarf that is 100cm x 200 cm (that is, beach towel sized), that only weighs 116g. If the scarf is small, leave it behind - you have plenty of other warmth. If the scarf is large (and meant for multipurpose use), get a lighter one.

- 286 to 410g: The hiking sandals are also very heavy. Between now and April, consider dialing in one pair of shoes to walk in - either the Lone Peaks or the Bedrocks, not both. Swap the other pair for lightweight shower sandals - these can be as light as 160g.

---
Weight saved with changes: - 682 to 1307g.

Double check your other gear - are you sure it's dialed in for weight? Again I agree with C clearly - there may be opportunities to cut weight in other categories.

@Anhalter is a lightweight packing expert in my opinion, I'd love to see him weigh in.

Buen Camino, Amiga!
Thank you @Marksa!

I need something which is waterproof so will take my lightweight Arcteryx Goretex jacket. I don't like ponchos and a decent one won't weigh that much less really.

So, if I don't use a poncho and I'm walking across the Pyrenees in mid April with possible cold, wet conditions, do you think I still can get away without rain pants? It's not wet legs I'm worried about per se, it's wet legs if it's very cold.

Re: the down jacket, my lightest synthetic weighs 279g. I'm assuming you've suggested synthetic because of the weakness of down in wet weather (i.e. if it gets wet it's useless) - am I right? I might reconsider taking the synthetic, although the down jacket is really only for after walking and evenings etc, as I'd be way too hot to walk in it in any but truly freezing temperatures.

I like the Lawrence of Arabia idea - I have Arabian horses so it should come naturally 😄👍.

I might change out the convertible pants/shorts for the super comfy pants which are actually Patagonia Happy Hike pants, so would be multifunctional hiking, comfy Albergue and "going out" pants, albeit not all at once ;)

I use Injinji toe socks so all good there. I've been wearing barefoot shoes solely (see what I did there) for 8 years now, so Altra Lone Peaks are actually too cushy and "supportive" for me, but I'm erring on the side of caution because of the Camino's long distances on hard surfaces (although I've been walking 10-15k per day on hard surfaces for months now with my Bedrock sandals, and a weighted pack, hence my desire to take them and see how they go).

Muchas gracias for your feedback - you've been so helpful!!

I would choose between the casual pants and the dress. Personally I bring leggings and my softest tee shirt to wear in the afternoon and to bed.

I say take either the baseball cap or sun hat but you don’t need both. Same with the buff versus scarf. Although I do bring a buff and a scarf but I don’t wear my scarf I use it as a wrap getting out of the shower and then as a pillow cover.

Buen Camino!
Thanks for your help @lovelyshell!

I am thinking I'll take either the pants or the dress, as you suggest.

I did have lightweight merino leggings on my list but took them off as I'd included them primarily for warmth while walking and thought I could use the rain pants over shorts or pants if it got cold. I might have to re-evaluate.

The scarf will be multifunctional for warmth, sun protection, towel and privacy curtain etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think you could leave behind the fleece hoody, gaiters, and beanie.

I don't see why you would need the windbreaker since you can wear the Goretex jacket for the same purpose. (I prefer the rain jacket and pants over a poncho.)

Do you really need the Shemagh/scarf at 174g? Some people mention use as a towel or privacy screen, but it is something that could be left behind.

Now the big question is what else are you taking? You will probably have opportunities to cut weight in the electronics, toiletries, and odds and ends.
Hi @C clearly ,

Thanks for the feedback!

Ok, looks like the fleece, gaiters and beanie are on the chopping block.

Yes, I prefer a rain jacket and pants to a poncho, although some have suggested taking a lighter weight jacket. I guess that's really the basis for taking the windbreaker (Patagonia Houdini) as it's super lightweight (90g) and would provide some warmth and high breathability, vs my Arcteryx Goretex rain jacket which is bulletproof in really nasty wind and rain, but a bit hot and sweaty to wear just for a little bit of additional warmth while walking.

Re: the scarf - I've really only added it recently as I've seen many peregrinos suggest it's a great multifunctional item for towel, privacy screen, post-shower wrap, headscarf/sunshield etc. It is quite heavy but then again it could replace several other items, so I'll need to do some math...

And finally, ahhh yes, the BIG QUESTION! How much other unnecessary stuff am I taking lol...

THAT is another post, as I need to sharpen my pencil and start cutting (slashing?) grams.

Will most likely come back and annoy you all with "final" packing list part deux... Make that part dos ;)

@arfajajc , I assume when you mention your pack weight you are taking out the items you are wearing? Because worn weight versus pack weight are two very different things, and you've listed two sets of Clothing. Just checking.

Agree pretty much with everything raised above : one pair of long pants, choose between sun hat / cap. No hoodie, windbreaker, gaiters.
Personally whilst you could leave the beanie behind I carried and used mine as well as my buff. My ears got really cold a few mornings!
You're right, rain pants pants over the rest on cold, wet, windy days are ideal. Also useful when everything else is in the wash. But otherwise mmm 50/50. Could easily be dropped, if you hit a week or more of really bad weather pick up a pair in Spain.
Keep the gloves. Mine got used quite a bit.

Gaiters are a bit niche. I wouldn't take them unless they're part of your normal tried and tested hiking system.
Something that never gets mentioned on these lists but which I always pack is a reusable nylon carrier bag. it weighs 40g and I've had it for about 20 years. When you're on the camino you'll see that a minority of pilgrims exhibit any recycling consciousness - they just accept endless plastic bags from supermarkets and small shops and aren't too bothered about how they dispose of them. But with a tiny bit of thought and prep it doesn't have to be that way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You might consider plugging every piece of gear and its weight into a list on Lighterpack.com.

- 90g: I agree with C clearly - leave the windbreaker behind, you can use your rain jacket as a windbreaker.

- 153 to 273g: Your fleece hoody is heavy. I agree with trecile that you may not need both the fleece and the down jacket. If you are cold-natured and are still bringing a fleece, consider swapping to an Alpha Direct fleece crewneck like a Senchi Crewneck. It will weigh about 120g in size XL. You do not need the hoodie version, you have plenty of other head-warming gear.

- 95 to 112g: Your Goretex hooded jacket (I assume this is your rain jacket) is also heavy, especially when you consider that you pair it with rain pants. An Altus poncho in size M/L weighs 322g and will allow you to leave your rain pants behind (plus if you buy from the forum store you can support the forum!) If you don't like ponchos, a Montbell Versalite rain jacket weighs 165g in size XL. Montbell is expensive though.

- 58 to 248g: Your casual pants are too heavy. You have an entire casual outfit in the dress, so do you really need casual pants, too? I would leave them behind. If you must have them, swap to something lighter (aim around 190g or less).

- ?g: Take a sunhat or a ballcap, not both. (Can't calculate because sunhat weight is not present).

- 58 to 174g: Scarf/shemagh: what is this scarf made of, and how big is it? I have an organic cotton scarf that is 100cm x 200 cm (that is, beach towel sized), that only weighs 116g. If the scarf is small, leave it behind - you have plenty of other warmth. If the scarf is large (and meant for multipurpose use), get a lighter one.

- 286 to 410g: The hiking sandals are also very heavy. Between now and April, consider dialing in one pair of shoes to walk in - either the Lone Peaks or the Bedrocks, not both. Swap the other pair for lightweight shower sandals - these can be as light as 160g.

---
Weight saved with changes: - 682 to 1307g.

Double check your other gear - are you sure it's dialed in for weight? Again I agree with C clearly - there may be opportunities to cut weight in other categories.

@Anhalter is a lightweight packing expert in my opinion, I'd love to see him weigh in.
Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback @rainswift !

I'll look into Lighterpack as suggested.

I've chosen the Arcteryx Zeta SL raincoat as I have images of torrential rain and wind and that coat is bulletproof. But then I'm thinking if the weather is THAT bad I'd probably only walk for a few hours and then hope to sit the worst of it out. Keep in mind, my experience is based on week-long tramps through the NZ Southern Alps, so I think I need to adjust my perspective slightly haha.

I don't like ponchos so will perhaps look at something like the Montbell Versalite as it'll be much lighter and probably more breathable, so would replace both the raincoat and windbreaker for a considerable weight advantage. Maybe I can find a sale.

I have an alpha direct fleece which is uberlight, but a bit bulky and less versatile than the fleece hoody. Still, yes, the latter is pretty heavy. It's been on and off the list a few times now. It is a bit of a "luxury" item in some regards, so I'll see if I can cut weight elsewhere, otherwise I'll leave it behind.

I'll look at lighter pants - I have a 190g pair which will work, although not as soft and cosy.

Just how cold will it really be in mid April in the Pyrenees (and beyond)? I've looked at all the historical weather, but it's all a bit of a gamble what you get. I think I have enough suitable layers but need to find the sweet spot.

The scarf is a lovely lightweight cotton blend and BIG, so yes, might look at smaller alternatives there.

I need to think about the footwear. Will my feet freeze in wool socks and sandals in mid April? I wear sandals year round here on Waiheke Island in NZ (and no, I don't wear socks with them lol), but then our "cold" winter days are like, 10C.

Finally, yes, as also noted to C clearly, I've definitely got some dialing in to do for other gear, so might come back on that front later.

Muchas gracias!

@arfajajc , I assume when you mention your pack weight you are taking out the items you are wearing? Because worn weight versus pack weight are two very different things, and you've listed two sets of Clothing. Just checking.

Agree pretty much with everything raised above : one pair of long pants, choose between sun hat / cap. No hoodie, windbreaker, gaiters.
Personally whilst you could leave the beanie behind I carried and used mine as well as my buff. My ears got really cold a few mornings!
You're right, rain pants pants over the rest on cold, wet, windy days are ideal. Also useful when everything else is in the wash. But otherwise mmm 50/50. Could easily be dropped, if you hit a week or more of really bad weather pick up a pair in Spain.
Keep the gloves. Mine got used quite a bit.
Hey fellow Kiwi!

The clothing list includes worn items as noted - I should probably separate them for clarity.

Thanks for the feedback - I'm leaning toward keeping the rain pants and possibly the beanie, especially if I ditch the scarf as then I might need the buff for my neck vs head.

It's like musical chairs for clothing lol.

Gaiters are a bit niche. I wouldn't take them unless they're part of your normal tried and tested hiking system.
Something that never gets mentioned on these lists but which I always pack is a reusable nylon carrier bag. it weighs 40g and I've had it for about 20 years. When you're on the camino you'll see that a minority of pilgrims exhibit any recycling consciousness - they just accept endless plastic bags from supermarkets and small shops and aren't too bothered about how they dispose of them. But with a tiny bit of thought and prep it doesn't have to be that way.
Thanks @peregrino_tom,
I always wear gaiters tramping here in NZ, but that's tramping here...in NZ... I think I'll leave them behind.

Totally agree about the reusable bag! I've got my superlight ultrasil carry pack which weighs about 30g - absolutely indispensable!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The clothing list includes worn items as noted - I should probably separate them for clarity.
Yep, understood that - I meant have you included the WEIGHT in the 7kg?

Whilst your sandals are a little on the heavier side, personally I would stick with them. Judging by your comments above about walking around everywhere with them, if you get warm weather, you could find them invaluable. I met a newbie on my Primitivo last year with super light hiking sandals, on the steeper gravel descents he had to take them off and walk barefoot. Absolutely b. useless. You're an experienced Tramper (hiker), I'm kind of guessing you've got a pretty good idea what works for you!

As to reusable bag: it's a good idea, personally I've got a 20l lightweight day pack from Decathlon, it's heavier - 120g - but more versatile. I chose it partly because when exploring town I always carry water and an extra layer with me, it is of course ideal for shopping, and lastly should I get injured and be unable to carry my pack, as a last resort I could always transport my pack and use the day pack.

I brought a lightweight Marmot rain jacket that worked for wind cold rain. It was so thin and so warm because of the material that it had zippers under the arms in case you got too hot. It also had a hood which kept out all the rain. It was perfect. I would definitely bring gloves and keep track of them because I lost mine and my hands were freezing on the early morning battles up the mountainss. Trecking poles were a must for me. You can purchase them in SJpP. Have fun!! Buen Camino.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback @rainswift !

I'll look into Lighterpack as suggested.

I've chosen the Arcteryx Zeta SL raincoat as I have images of torrential rain and wind and that coat is bulletproof. But then I'm thinking if the weather is THAT bad I'd probably only walk for a few hours and then hope to sit the worst of it out. Keep in mind, my experience is based on week-long tramps through the NZ Southern Alps, so I think I need to adjust my perspective slightly haha.

I don't like ponchos so will perhaps look at something like the Montbell Versalite as it'll be much lighter and probably more breathable, so would replace both the raincoat and windbreaker for a considerable weight advantage. Maybe I can find a sale.

I have an alpha direct fleece which is uberlight, but a bit bulky and less versatile than the fleece hoody. Still, yes, the latter is pretty heavy. It's been on and off the list a few times now. It is a bit of a "luxury" item in some regards, so I'll see if I can cut weight elsewhere, otherwise I'll leave it behind.

I'll look at lighter pants - I have a 190g pair which will work, although not as soft and cosy.

Just how cold will it really be in mid April in the Pyrenees (and beyond)? I've looked at all the historical weather, but it's all a bit of a gamble what you get. I think I have enough suitable layers but need to find the sweet spot.

The scarf is a lovely lightweight cotton blend and BIG, so yes, might look at smaller alternatives there.

I need to think about the footwear. Will my feet freeze in wool socks and sandals in mid April? I wear sandals year round here on Waiheke Island in NZ (and no, I don't wear socks with them lol), but then our "cold" winter days are like, 10C.

Finally, yes, as also noted to C clearly, I've definitely got some dialing in to do for other gear, so might come back on that front later.

Muchas gracias!

As a Pacific Northwester, I hear you on the rain! We have a similar rainy climate. I find the Montbell Versalite holds up well enough. Not bombproof like an Arc'teryx (which I also have), though. A bit more breathable.

Re: the scarf - doesn't have to necessarily be smaller, as long as it's lighter. I gave my own huge scarf as an example of big-but-relatively-light. (I really love my scarf so I made weight sacrifices to take it along).

There have been other pilgrims that went with socks + sandals 😂 , as fashion on the Camino is less important than comfort on the Camino. Not my thing, I would rather take trail runners for the road all the time, but your habitual footwear sounds very different from mine.

I was in NZ once, a long time ago... so beautiful. Maybe someday I'll visit your country again.

I'd love to see your Lighterpack once you have it done. You can mark "worn" weight on the Lighterpack and it will summarize your worn vs carried vs consumable weight at the top.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have the Houdini. It's spectacular! Extremely lightweight, a great windbreaker as well as a laying piece on colder/wetter days.

Here is something I learned from this forum : if you need to transport your extra stuff for a day - put your extra stuff in a day bag or dry bag or such and carry your backpack with daily essentials, rather than sending your backpack ahead and using a day pack for essentials.

Yes- it is "musical chairs". I love the comparison!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yep, understood that - I meant have you included the WEIGHT in the 7kg?

Whilst your sandals are a little on the heavier side, personally I would stick with them. Judging by your comments above about walking around everywhere with them, if you get warm weather, you could find them invaluable. I met a newbie on my Primitivo last year with super light hiking sandals, on the steeper gravel descents he had to take them off and walk barefoot. Absolutely b. useless. You're an experienced Tramper (hiker), I'm kind of guessing you've got a pretty good idea what works for you!

As to reusable bag: it's a good idea, personally I've got a 20l lightweight day pack from Decathlon, it's heavier - 120g - but more versatile. I chose it partly because when exploring town I always carry water and an extra layer with me, it is of course ideal for shopping, and lastly should I get injured and be unable to carry my pack, as a last resort I could always transport my pack and use the day pack.
No, I've removed the basic worn weight (shorts, undies, socks, Tshirt) from the 6-7kg carried weight.

My Bedrocks have Vibram Megagrip soles so have as good, if not better, traction than most of my other hiking shoes/boots - definitely better traction in the wet than my Altras - hence their not insubstantial weight.

My little ultrasil "backpack" bag is super lightweight but can easily carry my 500ml soft water flask, a light layer and a few light groceries (bread, cheese etc). I've used it for years and carry it every day in its tiny rolled up form in my small sling bag. It's always so useful. I could probably carry the basics in it if I needed to for a day - if not I could always get something a bit more robust in Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I brought a lightweight Marmot rain jacket that worked for wind cold rain. It was so thin and so warm because of the material that it had zippers under the arms in case you got too hot. It also had a hood which kept out all the rain. It was perfect. I would definitely bring gloves and keep track of them because I lost mine and my hands were freezing on the early morning battles up the mountainss. Trecking poles were a must for me. You can purchase them in SJpP. Have fun!! Buen Camino.
Thanks @Debora, yes I'm looking into a lighter rain jacket. I'll also definitely keep the gloves. I'm trying to stick to carry on only from NZ, so need to replace my poles and Victorinox Compact swiss army knife in SJPP.

I have the Houdini. It's spectacular! Extremely lightweight, a great windbreaker as well as a laying piece on colder/wetter days.

Here is something I learned from this forum : if you need to transport your extra stuff for a day - put your extra stuff in a day bag or dry bag or such and carry your backpack with daily essentials, rather than sending your backpack ahead and using a day pack for essentials.

Yes- it is "musical chairs". I love the comparison!
Clever! Keep the pack but ditch the weight in a dry bag... VERY good idea, thanks for that!

I have an ancient Houdini which I use for dog walking, but I'm not sure how waterproof it'll be now. Even in good (new) condition I'm not sure how well the Houdini would stand up to constant, heavy rain - but then again, I have to keep reminding myself that it's not like I'm walking for 8 hours through the wilderness.

I think I'll add it to my list of lighter raincoats to check out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have an ancient Houdini which I use for dog walking, but I'm not sure how waterproof it'll be now. Even in good (new) condition I'm not sure how well the Houdini would stand up to constant, heavy rain
I bought a Houdini last year, and they are only water resistant - it will definitely soak through in constant, heavy rain. I was thinking about using some Nikwax wash in waterproofing on it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought a Houdini last year, and they are only water resistant - it will definitely soak through in constant, heavy rain. I was thinking about using some Nikwax wash in waterproofing on it.

Hence why I carry maybe a slightly heavier raincoat (still, 277g is pretty light) so I don't have to worry about my coat being properly waterproof in even quite extreme conditions. I can't really grasp the purpose of "rain coats" which aren't really water/weather proof.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Many thanks all!
I know it's tough to cut things out, but if you truly want to, these are my (female) suggestions:
1. Too much for upper body. Think of only up to 4 different things, for up to 4 layers at one time, if needed. Short sleeve merino shirt is a given (1st layer). Lightweight rain jacket is your 4th (outermost layer). Then decide which other 2 layers would work best for you for the scenario or needing the most layers (for a cold morning or day + rain). You can google the weather they had in April of last year. Weather changes but this may still help you. If you have a weather app that gives the forecasts 10-16 days ahead, look at it right before you leave to show the projected temps, at various cities you will be at during future days that are displayed. I have walked, with my clothing on, during the cold to see what combination works best for me. Since you won't possibly be wearing all of the layers you listed, this lets you know it is too much. However, you could think of the lightweight merino hoodie t shirt as a 3rd shirt.
2. Sorry, but between the 2 luxury items come out to be .4 kg. I would suggest that only one go with you.
3. Decrease to only 2 hats
4. Buff or Shemagh, not both. ? Use shemagh as a sarong for double duty, as well as so many other uses.
Buen Camino

I know it's tough to cut things out, but if you truly want to, these are my (female) suggestions:
1. Too much for upper body. Think of only up to 4 different things, for up to 4 layers at one time, if needed. Short sleeve merino shirt is a given (1st layer). Lightweight rain jacket is your 4th (outermost layer). Then decide which other 2 layers would work best for you for the scenario or needing the most layers (for a cold morning or day + rain). You can google the weather they had in April of last year. Weather changes but this may still help you. If you have a weather app that gives the forecasts 10-16 days ahead, look at it right before you leave to show the projected temps, at various cities you will be at during future days that are displayed. I have walked, with my clothing on, during the cold to see what combination works best for me. Since you won't possibly be wearing all of the layers you listed, this lets you know it is too much. However, you could think of the lightweight merino hoodie t shirt as a 3rd shirt.
2. Sorry, but between the 2 luxury items come out to be .4 kg. I would suggest that only one go with you.
3. Decrease to only 2 hats
4. Buff or Shemagh, not both. ? Use shemagh as a sarong for double duty, as well as so many other uses.
Buen Camino
Thanks @hikentravel1234 , the 4-layer approach makes good sense.

I have been looking at weather trends over the past few years, but it is pretty variable and unpredictable. However I'll definitely check forecasts before leaving NZ, and adjust accordingly. I'm assuming the Pyrenees in mid-April will be the coldest section of my Camino, but then you know what they say about assuming things 😏.

I'll take the dress instead of the extra pants.

Have cut hats back to 1 and will definitely do buff or Shemagh, not both.

👍

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
arfajajc, IMO whether you take rain pants or not depends much on the kinds of places that you are planning to stay in. If, say, you get three cold/wet days in a row and you are staying in private albergues/accommodation then it's not much of a problem: they will nearly always provide heating, washing machines and dryers that can put you back on the camino fully dry the next morning. But if you are planning to stay predominantly in municipal/donativo/xunta albergues then I'd say it's prudent to pack the 140g waterproof bottoms. Scenario: after getting soaked the previous day, waking up around 6am in the Xunta in Sarria, hearing the rain pounding on the glass roof. Knowing that your clothes along with everyone else's, which are hanging from lines and racks in the atrium, won't have fully dried overnight because of all the damp air in the building, and that five minutes after you set out your legs will be completely wet again. Apart from anything else it really tests your morale just lying in your bunk, hearing the rain and knowing what's to come. A pair of waterproof bottoms changes all of that.

I can't really grasp the purpose of "rain coats" which aren't really water/weather proof.
Manufacturers try to give us what we want - rain gear that keeps out the rain, but also breathes so that we don't get super sweaty inside. The trade off is that in really heavy rain it can wet through.
The alternative is a truly waterproof fabric that turns the rain gear into a sauna suit!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @arfajajc . Another kiwi here! I'm starting the Frances just after you on 25 April. I'm here for the comments about the rain trousers! I bought a pair today because I'm doing the Milford Track in a week. Tempted to bring them on Camino - unsure, but interesting to read everyone's comments. I'm one of those friolera - feel the cold!

Hi @arfajajc . Another kiwi here! I'm starting the Frances just after you on 25 April. I'm here for the comments about the rain trousers! I bought a pair today because I'm doing the Milford Track in a week. Tempted to bring them on Camino - unsure, but interesting to read everyone's comments. I'm one of those friolera - feel the cold!
It’s April, who knows what the weather will do, like me you feel the cold,presumably they’re relatively light - bring them !
I’ve carried mine on both my Camino’s to date, used them once, they will come with me next time too.

It’s April, who knows what the weather will do, like me you feel the cold,presumably they’re relatively light - bring them !
I’ve carried mine on both my Camino’s to date, used them once, they will come with me next time too.
If I bring them, Murphy's Law we will get good weather.... and I'm OK with that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ok, here's one more post to add to the hundreds about what clothing to take on the Camino...

This is my first Camino and I'm walking from SJPP to SDC starting on April 17th. I know the weather can include any combination of wind, rain, snow, hail, sun and scorching heat, locusts, plagues etc.

I REALLY want to keep my pack weight down, so am struggling with a few final decisions about clothing. I've greatly benefitted from the knowledge of members as I've been following the forum over the past months, so would greatly appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.

I have a very lightweight backpack (Gossamer Gear G4-20 @ 700g) and down sleeping bag (400g) and am reasonably comfortable with the weight of my remaining personal items and toiletries etc.

FYI, I'm a reasonably fit 60 year old and weigh 60kg.

My overall weight is currently adding up to around 6-7kg without water or snacks but I really prefer not to carry that much if possible. Would love to keep it at or below 6kg including consumables if possible, without giving up the odd "luxury item".

My clothing list to date (including worn items):

TOPS:
2 singlet/bras: total 120g
2 short sleeve merino Tshirts: 220g
1 light long sleeve merino blend hooded Tshirt: 163g
1 superlight hooded windbreaker (adds considerable warm for tiny weight): 90g
1 lightweight fleece hoody: 273g (Do I need this?)
1 light down jacket: 180g
1 Goretex hooded jacket: 277g

BOTTOMS:
1 rain pants: 140g
3 pairs undies: 50g
3 pairs wool socks: 195g

ACCESSORIES:
Beanie: 41g (Do I need this if I can use my buff as a warmish hat?)
Light gloves 35g
Short gaiters 42g

FOOTWEAR:
Altra Lone Peak 7 shoes: 570g
Bedrock hiking sandals: 446g (These are heavy-ish but I love them and may end up being able to use them to walk much of my Camino - weather, locusts and plagues allowing).

Many thanks all!
Well, looks pretty good to me.I found I can get away with only two pairs of undies and socks and I'd leave behind either the sundress or shorts. I don't bother with extra shoes either as trail runners are ok for the evening. If they fit they fit. I pack a poncho instead of rain pants and jacket. That way I can get rid of the pack liner and cover.

If I bring them, Murphy's Law we will get good weather.... and I'm OK with that.
Hi @SarahTheKiwi, please bring them because then it won't rain! 😄
What a coincidence - you're doing the Milford and I'm doing the Kepler! I'm flying to Queenstown tomorrow, Feb 4, for a few days (never been there) then to Te Anau for the Kepler from Feb 7-10. Have a great time and definitely take those rain pants for the Milford (ditto me for the Kepler!).
Buen Milford, Buen Camino! 😄

@arfajajc You will love Queenstown - so scenic, but a bit more touristy than when I used to holiday there as a kid. You will love the Kepler - very scenic ridgelines, but quite exposed in places too. The downhill bits got my legs going like jelly! I was doing the Milford Track with a friend, but he seems to have long Covid, so might be on my own. While I'm disappointed, I'm trying to frame it positively as a dry run for the Camino where I will also be alone, but walking and meeting people from around the world!
Buen Kepler!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.