• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cobblestones and Setts

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
I’ve heard a lot about cobblestones and setts, about how they are a nightmare, etc. How true is this? My wife and I are both 76 and my wife simply cannot afford to fall due to osteoporosis and vertebral fractures. How safe would it be for us the walk the coastal root?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a risk of falling while walking any Camino route. I am a relatively experienced walker and a reasonably healthy if overweight 61 year old. Even so I slipped and fell twice in one day on fairly level footpaths on the Camino Frances during very heavy rain in September. If you absolutely must avoid slips and falls then perhaps you should reconsider your intention to walk a Camino.

I would consider the use of hiking poles or other assistive walking device such as a cane or a staff. My husband age 73 is also prone to falls and uses two hiking poles even when the ground is level. Rocky or cobbled areas hurt the bottoms of my feet when they are tender from long distance walking. They can also be slippery so I wear shoes with lugs or ones with non-slip ratings. Caminos are not just strolls down a park lane and most require travel over a variety of surfaces (natural, pavement, rocky, etc.) I can't specifically comment on the Coastal route, but recommend you take it slow and steady with the proper assistive devices.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a risk of falling while walking any Camino route. I am a relatively experienced walker and a reasonably healthy if overweight 61 year old. Even so I slipped and fell twice in one day on fairly level footpaths on the Camino Frances during very heavy rain in September. If you absolutely must avoid slips and falls then perhaps you should reconsider your intention to walk a Camino.

I'm 66, with bad knees and feet so take great care in foot placement.
But as another forum member can attest, I fell flat on my back coming down from El Acebo this year.
Loose gravel and my feet shot out from under me.
Thankfully nothing hurt but my pride.
I was using two poles.

It is a steep section, but slips can occur anywhere.
Loose surface, wet surface.

Last edited:
I’ve heard a lot about cobblestones and setts, about how they are a nightmare, etc. How true is this? My wife and I are both 76 and my wife simply cannot afford to fall due to osteoporosis and vertebral fractures. How safe would it be for us the walk the coastal root?
Not sure what setts are to you. Google says they are badger dens, and that is not an issue on the Camino! Cobblestones, on the other hand... even with thick soled good quality hiking boots (a brand I have used for years and years with 0 issues), my feet were screaming in pain after a few days of hiking on them. It is what it is; the price of the caminho português. It's not a falling hazard; it's just that after hours and hours of walking on them, your feet ache.
As others have posted, if it is critical that there be no falls, then use hiking poles, even on level ground.

Not sure what setts are to you.
The sidewalks and Camino in Portugal are paved with setts, which differ from cobblestones because they are not natural rounded rocks.

Here are a couple of definitions:

Setts are square or rectangular quarried stones most commonly made from Granite or Limestone that are cropped / cut into sizes ranging from 100mm to 300mm in depth and width, these have been used in a vast range of paving installation for centuries.

Cobbles are quite often used to refer for something that is actually a sett, but the word cobble derives from the word cob which means a rounded lump. Cobbles and setts are both used traditionally in road construction, which could be where the confusion may arise, but the main difference is that setts are square and cobbles are round.

Setts

granite-sett-pavement-cotswoldResized.jpg

Cobbles

cobbled-street.jpg

Neither are the greatest walking surface, but setts are easier to walk on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just walked a hybrid Portuguese Camino: Senda litoral - central - coastal - spiritual variant. I think the board walks of the Senda litoral would be safest.
I really don’t understand all the hoopla about setts and cobblestones. When my feet hurt ANY hard surface was painful. And I didn’t encounter that many true cobblestones, most were setts which are pretty flat.

Falls can happen anywhere to anyone. However, as someone else said, if your wife is a fall risk, you may want to consider walking elsewhere.

I am 71, in reasonably good health, and I fell last year walking on flat roadway outside of Ciraqui. I've since learned I have a macular tear in my eye which causes "wonky" depth perception. I was using trekking poles for the first time in years of Camino walking, and it almost broke my wrist.

The rougher cobblestones and setts seem to be used a lot more in Portugal than Spain (in my experience) and so if you DO want to walk, you might consider changing routes?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just walked a hybrid Portuguese Camino: Senda litoral - central - coastal - spiritual variant. I think the board walks of the Senda litoral would be safest.
I really don’t understand all the hoopla about setts and cobblestones. When my feet hurt ANY hard surface was painful. And I didn’t encounter that many true cobblestones, most were setts which are pretty flat.
I think the issue is that cobblestones/setts can become quite slippery when wet which poses a challenge.

You are of course quite right, walking on them for any length of time kills your feet. I have been wearing Meindl trail shoes for 8 or 9 years and they help, but only a bit.

Last edited:
I would suggest walking the literal route out of Porto,for the few days or so its mostly along wooden boardwalks and is pretty flat
If I remember correctly the walk from Esposende to viana do castelo was a combination of rough Hill climb and cobbled roads but others on the forum might have better recollection
I was glad I had a pole on that stretch

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I remember plenty of setts but not true cobble stones. I walked it 10 weeks after an ankle fracture. As long as I stayed to the side of the path I didn’t find it terribly uncomfortable.
what I would be concerned about is that some of the unpaved areas are very rough with some very steep descents. I also recall some really big steps through woodland.

Stone is very slippery when wet. Worn stone is really bad.

Trekking poles are the greatest invention in the world to me for so many reasons but mainly for fall prevention. We just did the Norte and they were vitally important. I too have osteoporosis and had no problems. Also, others talked about painful feet. Hokas really do a lot to address this issue because of their padding and they also have a pretty skid-free vibram sole. I never slid even in rain. Don't give up on what makes life fun!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I recently finished the Camino Portuguese…yes there were times with plenty of cobblestones on paths. I’m 72 and had no problems slipping on them or pain from them. I attribute the pain free part not to thick soled hiking boots but to Hoka running shoes (model was the Clifton) with good insoles (the brand I used was Super Feet). The shoes were very supportive with good traction. I also noticed that most people, of all ages, carried their poles rather than using them as aids as the route is mostly flat.

I agree with all that is written above, especially the parts regarding walking sticks, Hoka shoes and Super Feet insoles.

The Coastal route is indeed mostly cobblestone, even in the sections away from towns (we figured the only reason was the "power that be" had good friends in the cobblestone business :)), but I don't know what "setts" are...

I would think that the cobblestone would offer a level and wide surface to walk upon vs a natural path with various sized rocks, roots, sand and other obstacles that may cause a trip or fall. Yes, cobblestones can be slippery when wet, so caution can be recommended.

My feet ached for weeks after walking the Coastal with all its hard surfaces, but those hard surfaces could be advantageous to your needs.

Get out there and do it!! You'll love it!

The Coastal route is indeed mostly cobblestone, even in the sections away from towns (we figured the only reason was the "power that be" had good friends in the cobblestone business :)), but I don't know what "setts" are...
Setts are what much of the Portuguese route is paved with, and what most are referring to as cobblestones.
Definitions and pictures in this post

The sidewalks and Camino in Portugal are paved with setts, which differ from cobblestones because they are not natural rounded rocks.

Here are a couple of definitions:

Setts are square or rectangular quarried stones most commonly made from Granite or Limestone that are cropped / cut into sizes ranging from 100mm to 300mm in depth and width, these have been used in a vast range of paving installation for centuries.

Cobbles are quite often used to refer for something that is actually a sett, but the word cobble derives from the word cob which means a rounded lump. Cobbles and setts are both used traditionally in road construction, which could be where the confusion may arise, but the main difference is that setts are square and cobbles are round.

Setts

View attachment 159449

Cobbles

View attachment 159448

Neither are the greatest walking surface, but setts are easier to walk on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did not like the Central Route from Porto because of the cobblestones on paths/roads often winding up and down hills through villages. Also a difficult mountain section later on.
I found the seaside or Atlantico route more pleasant, often on boardwalks. It's NOT the Coastal Route.
Definetely use 2 walking poles but you need to be careful on the boardwalks if the rubber tips are off as the points can lodge in the space between the boards. Not an issue if you have the rubber tips on.
There is one section where the track goes across sand, but with poles and careful walking no problems.
Hope this helps
Mark

I walk on surfaces like this all year round, as a tour guide in Frankfurt. It is why I continue to wear Meindl boots. They are great on surfaces like this and even when the stones are wet, the soles don't slip. I don't even mind hours of walking on asphalt. Having a thicker sole makes a difference in how your feet feel at the end of the day. When I saw all the cobblestones and sets in Portugal in 2018, I was very glad not to be wearing trainers. That would have killed my feet. Going back next April, with mainly the central route. Am prepared, with poles and boots.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My experience -

The dry cobblestones are tough on the soles of your feet, even with great hiking boots. Wear a second pair of nice wool socks to get as much cushioning in there as possible.
As for the wet, slippery stones, good luck. All you can do is definitely use hiking poles and walk slowly, taking a careful one-step-at-a-time pace as needed.
I'm 71, finished my last Camino last October, no problems, not even a blister or achy muscle. Seven weeks later I broke my leg slipping on an iron grating in the rain in Brussels. Oh, well!
Buen Camino, be cautious but not afraid.

The route due north out of Porto (it passes just to thre east of the airport) has 3 days of (consecutively) concrete setts, cobblestones and bitumen. Horrible to walk on and similarly unpleasant to fall on. Avoid it if you can and take the route along the beach that features wooden boardwalks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recently finished the Camino Portuguese…yes there were times with plenty of cobblestones on paths. I’m 72 and had no problems slipping on them or pain from them. I attribute the pain free part not to thick soled hiking boots but to Hoka running shoes (model was the Clifton) with good insoles (the brand I used was Super Feet). The shoes were very supportive with good traction. I also noticed that most people, of all ages, carried their poles rather than using them as aids as the route is mostly flat.
I'm 75 and just finished the Portuguese coastal route. I have an ankle joint replacement, foot and balance problems. I was the one in the group with no falls, blisters, foot pain. The cobblestones/setts can cause foot pain after a long day, but I also had Hokas with orthotics and they worked really well. Members of my group had three falls, mostly going too fast on slippery downhills. The bigger stones especially are slippery even when dry. I would say, go for it and be careful and slow down in potentially risky areas.

Unfortunately you can fall anywhere, the Camino is not particularly fall prone. I fell once going up hill before the descent into Molinaseca. Overgrown path hiding a root that reached out into the path and I went down like a granny on a frosty morning. Banged my arm and cut my elbow but it could have been worse. For me the cobbles and the crazy paving caned my PF so each stop meant setting off like an unfit 90 year old for about 100 yards

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've just finished the Portuguese from Lisbon, and encountered those cobblestones/ setts for most of the journey. At first, my lighter than normal Meindl boots did a good job of protecting my feet. I don't know if it was partly due to the 35°C temperature every day for the first two weeks but the day before I reached Porto, all 8 of us in the hostel had a blister on the forefoot of one of our feet.
After that the cobbles were more painful to walk on but my boots did a great job of keeping me upright during the rain for the following two weeks, courtesy of Storm Babet and then the Galician rain. I didn't use poles and I was surprised at just how grippy my boots were.

I’ve walked the CF twice. I read several posts calling the cobblestones “nightmares.” Just checking for other opinions, yours for example. Thanks for giving it, BTW.

I’ve walked the CF twice. I read several posts calling the cobblestones “nightmares.” Just checking for other opinions, yours for example. Thanks for giving it, BTW.
I wouldn't call them a nightmare, but I was happy to see the end of the cobblestones/setts when I passed over into Spain. As you know from walking the Francés, there are some pretty rough parts of that route that are worse than the cobblestones.

rocky trail.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I also have osteoporosis (late 60s) and my greatest fear is falling while on the Camino. I have hiked a good part of it before so I know the routes and I would say that, if you are otherwise strong and fit and have good balance, you are in no more danger of falling than on any walk over uneven or slippery terrain (at the worst). I don't like hiking with 2 poles as I find they get in my way and use energy I'd rather reserve for hiking LOL. But I do carry one pole for balance and help on slippery slopes and for possible protection against loose dogs. The Frances would be my choice as there are ample ways to shorten days so that you can take things as slow as you wish. I say....go for it!! As long as you're careful and pace yourselves, you will have a marvelous and safe experience. Buen Camino!!

A new thread could be started for posting only nightmarish cobblestone and rocky paths...there are plenty of those peppered in with all the easier walking stretches.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back