• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comments on the Canterbury - Besancon Section of the VF

Hello

I am also getting ready for via francigna. I will fly in to london on the 16 of June, however I will be cycling and would like to know about camping on the route. Also I plan to use the camino ways, tour company, GPS route which is free, did you look at this route when you were planing and not use it. I ask as I can not find any comments about people using it, but no review I hope means that no one found it so bad that they posted on the web about getting lost. I walked via de la plata in 2010 and greatly enjoyed mid-day mass so do the towns on via francigna have open churches with mid-day mass?

Thank you

Debra

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Debra,

There is a guide book, ' London Pilgrimage to Canterbury' , I can give you the itinerary:
Westminster to Greenwich. 12 miles
Greenwich to Gravesend 18 miles
Gravesend to Rochester 11 miles
Rochester to Sittingbourne 15 miles
Sittingbourne to Faversham 9 miles
Faversham to Canterbury 10 miles

You can attend Mass in London in Westminster Cathedral, there are about 5 Masses a day, one around 12.30. I am sure there are Catholic churches in Rochester and Canterbury but I don't know them. (Yet!)
I am not planning on camping in England as there don't seem to be any campsites on the way but of course on a bike you are more flexible. The YHA in Canterbury has tents available though (already set-up) when they are full up.
I am not sure what you mean about the tour company, camino ways?

In France camping is more readily available (bear in mind this will be my 1st time on Via Sigeric/francigena so I'm no expert ...) but I know the French like their camping!
I am staying at a campsite in Licques (there are 2) but after that, I haven't planned any more.....

I have the Alison Raju Guide, if you have any specific questions I can always look it up.
As for churches in France, I just don't know if they will be open. In big towns yes of course, but villages....I wouldn't count on it.

Dominique

In Licques I stayed at: http://www.pommiers-3pays.com/modulosite2/camping-3pays-licques.htm It is about 1.4km on the further side of the town centre.

I had no tent, but there are lovely little chalets that you can stay in. Very kind people, lovely surroundings. I spent an enjoyable hour watching a family erect the biggest tent I have ever seen on the pitch opposite my chalet. Bedrooms! Annexes! TV!!

The best campsite for me was at Seraucourt le Grand. http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/franc...e-grand/campsite-du-vivier-aux-carpes-103927/ Large, spacious. Gardens. Lake, or maybe a river. All facilities - shop, laundry, pizza café. Very kind owners who helped me book ahead. There is one, maybe two small caravans you can use if you have no tent. Very cosy and relaxing to spread out and luxuriate in my little chateau, comme un seigneur! Sitting outside (under my annex!) chatting to passersby.

One English couple were returning home, caravan bulging with their year's supply of French wine. The man mentioned casually that they would reach Calais the next day and be home in the evening. I was totally astonished, having struggled for days to walk to Seraucourt le Grand. As a walker, one's daily horizons shrink to maybe 25km, but a driver thinks in terms of hundreds of km. We inhabit two completely different worlds. We walkers see every flower and stone on the way; drivers flash through the landscape along motorways, locked in their vehicles, completely disengaged from the world they hurry through.

Bob M

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anglican churches and cathedrals are not as fussy as some Catholic ones about offering communion to Christians of other denominations. I can confirm that the services in Southwark (the old starting point for pilgrims from London to Canterbury), Rochester and Canterbury are worth attending and the communion in Canterbury is often held in the Chapel next to where Thomas Beckett was martyred.

Domigee,
I am on day 17 of my VF and am spending two nights here in Reims. I've been a bit remiss as far as checking the forum while I've been away,but I'm hoping to put that right from now on (WiFi permitting). If I can be of assistance, simply ask.
One bit of advice to share is to make sure you book your stay in Bapaume well in advance. One of the two hotels in town is shut for renovations and alternatives were not easily available once I and two other pilgrims found ourselves in town without a reservation. It being a bank holiday Monday didn't help matters.

The solution was to take a taxi 11+kms towards Peronne, where we stayed in the most expensive hotel accommodation of my trip. My third share of the taxi fare to the hotel, and the full cost of the return fare to Bapaume the next morning, set me back 40 euros ( a princely sum to me).

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Sheffield James! Wonderful to have news ! Well done, day 17 already...
Thanks for the tip about Bapaume, will deffo make some bookings then.
Enjoy your stay in Reims and I wish you good weather and a wonderful 'camino' !
Dominique

What a lovely quote. All the best to you too Bob and thank you so much for sharing your helpful comments. You're right, waiting for departure is the worst part. I set out on July 7th, so close and yet so far! Plenty of time to get nervous...
Safe journey from 'down under' and I wish you a wonderful pilgrimage. Looking forward to reading your story.
Take care,
Dominique.

Hi Dominique! How is it going? I got to Rome on July 19.

Bob M

Hi Bob! Congratulations on reaching Rome, well done!!! Woohoo!
I'm in Brienne-le-Château tonight, day 21. It's been difficult getting accommodation, water and at times even food, seems like the whole country is asleep lol (and it's my homeland!)
Today was a gd day though, there was a café open!
Waiting to read your story... I have a blog but I can't manage to post any pics so it's a bit boring...
http://domigee.blog.co.uk
Take care,
Dominique

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
.... It's been difficult getting accommodation, water and at times even food, seems like the whole country is asleep lol (and it's my homeland!) Today was a gd day though, there was a café open!Dominique

You are doing great! I am really pleased for you.

I also had constant worries re accommodation etc. When you get to Italy (are you going that way?) it is completely different. Lots of bars/cafes that open at 7:00 or even 6:30 in the morning. Accommodation in religious places is generally easy - and very restorative.

I have started to publish a daily account. See: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...e-this-yr-phase-3-of-my-vf.23914/#post-230039

I met a pilgrim in Radicofani (actually a friend of the wonderful hospitaleros) who had walked to Jerusalem and written a guide book. So I have decided to go to Jerusalem next year - not the hard way overland via Greece and Turkey, but by foot from Rome to Bari, then ship to Akko in Israel, then by foot to Jerusalem. I am about to start researching the journey.

Anyway, all the best. Just yell out if I can be of any help.

Bob M

I know the authentic way is a fruitless discussion but I have always understood that the sea route, via Venice (if going direct) or Bari (if going via Rome), was the traditional route for pilgrims to Jerusalem from North Western Europe.

I know the authentic way is a fruitless discussion but I have always understood that the sea route, via Venice (if going direct) or Bari (if going via Rome), was the traditional route for pilgrims to Jerusalem from North Western Europe.

I completely agree. In fact it may be more exciting to go by sea to Akko (the ancient Acre). One could even add in side trips to sacred sites in the Greek islands. I vaguely remember there are a couple of places of significance to Christians, not to mention the famous siege of Malta.

I have done only a cursory search of this forum on walking to Jerusalem. There are some very interesting (and heroic) blogs, but I have not yet seen any practical guides to stages or accommodation. The show stopper for me would be having to consistently walk 30+ km/day. Although the book I cursorily looked at at Radicofani seemed to have quite short stages, mainly due to the need to start walking extremely early so as to be able to rest up during the heat of the day.

Another interesting aspect will be walking in the desert in Israel. That throws up a whole new set of challenges re equipment, timing etc.

Anyway, that's for next year.

Bob M

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Bob (et al),
Sorry for late reply but as you know, not always easy .
No, not going to Rome but... Jerusalem. Finished the VF at Besançon and now in Isle sur le Doubs, heading for Southern Germany, Austria, following the Danube really to Budapest, then Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey... Will see how far I get!
All the best,
Dominique

No, not going to Rome but... Jerusalem.... Will see how far I get! All the best, Dominique

What a fantastic journey. I am full of admiration.

BTW, I am starting to plan my next walk, probably May/June next year: Rome - Bari, then by ship to Acre (Akko) in Israel, then walk to Jerusalem.

If you have a spare moment and can give me some info on routes in Israel I would be very grateful. There is the Israel National Trail that I am looking at for information, as well as religious walks in Galilee (Jesus Trail?).

All the very best, Dominique.

Bob M

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hope this thread is the right place for my question. I am trying to sort out accommodation for the first week through France (leaving Canterbury 1 May), but I feel as though I'm being forced into being a "luxury" pilgrim, which I can ill afford. The school at Camblain l'Abbé - full; the Maison Diocesaine in Arras - full. So, little alternative other than to book expensive b and b's or hotels. I emailed the Association Compostelle-Arras to see if anyone could accommodate me in Arras, but no reply. Does anyone have any suggestions?
RJM ACCOMMODATION LIST (July/August 2012)
2)

Accommodation was a constant problem on my walk in July/August, especially on weekends. Somtimes it took quite a few phone calls to set up accommodation a few days in advance. Sometimes I got a recorded message asking me to leave a message. I never did that, because I could not wait around until I received a reply - which might or might not come. In some cases, gites were closed because the owner was himself on holiday, or closed for annual maintenance or some such reason.

I was not prepared to routinely walk long stsges of 35km or so, and that limited my flexibility. Pilgrims who normally walk 30+km/day will have much greater flexibility, but even so they should book a few days ahead, especially on weekends and public holidays.

Also, allow plenty of schedule flexibility so that you can “wait out” accomodation bottlenecks for a day if required. I did not have that flexibility, so when I ran into multiple accommodation problems between Tergnier and Reims around a busy weekend period I had no option but to take trains to keep on schedule to meet my final flight home. That did give me a few valuable “flex days”, which I needed to use later.

Taxi numbers: If a pilgrim is stuck without accommodation and unable to walk a very long stage (eg 39km), it would be helpful to be able to get a taxi to a gite and return next day to continue walking. On the popular CF and VP routes there is a well-established system of inexpensive taxi transfers for bags and pilgrims, but the demand is far too low for such a service to have developed along the VF.

In my planning, I had intended to use taxis to and from accomodation for two difficult stages, but it quickly became apparent that this would be time-consuming and probably impractical to arrange by a pilgrim with only fair command of French, so I had to make another plan.

The availability of water was another issue. I carried all my water for each day (2litres on hot days) because I was never confident of being able to top up at public water points (virtually non-existent) or at churches that may not have attached cemeteries. The few public fountains I saw (eg in Wisques, Reims) and at lavoirs were all marked as non-potable. Cafes etc actually on the route are relatively sparse. On two occasions, I asked local residents for water, but obviously one can't make a habit of imposing on others like that.

Hotel owners were only aware of the VF in the vaguest sense and were usually unaware of the special needs of pilgrims for quick checkins, early dinners and breakfasts. Their whole business is focussed on normal travellers who arrive, fresh, in their cars. When getting my credencial stamped, I usually took the opportunity to explain the VF in an attempt to raise awareness.

In a few cases I felt reception staff were a little judgmental and disapproving of unkempt pilgrims with packs who did not fit their idea of respectable travellers.

Individually-run gites were far more pilgrim-friendly, and I found they were actually interested in their guests as people. I tried to give those places preference, except for rest days when some “luxury” was desired.

I did not try to use parish accommodation because I thought it would be too time-consuming to arrange, given that phones are not always answered even at conventional accommodation, and parish priests may be absent in other villages etc etc, adding to the usual hassles with making bookings. But maybe it is easier than I had feared.

Actual accommodation costs were probably about 20 Euros higher than the estimates given in the CPR accommodation list.

Phone: While I did see quite a few public phones, I think a mobile phone is much more practical. If I have an accommodation problem to resolve, I don't want to be stuck in some place with a public phone until the problem is resolved. Network coverage with Orange was quite good, although not on the road near Archots. I bought an Orange prepaid SIM card and used 27 Euros to book accommodation.

Traffic: Much of the route is on major roads and some of these were quite dangerous. Motorists do not expect to see walkers on main roads and in general do not give them enough room so that the walker knows he has been seen and that the motorist is taking care. In the best cases, the motorist would use his traffic indicators and move into the other lane if safe to do so. I always gave these drivers a wave to acknowledge their courtesy.

However, that only works for the traffic you can see coming at you - if you walk on the left side of the road. You have no idea what the traffic behind you is doing in the other lane. On busy roads you have to be wary of the danger from overtaking vehicles striking you from behind as they come into your lane to execute their overtaking maneuver.

I was almost struck by an overtaking truck that passed within a metre of me. The driver was probably so intent on overtaking safely and watching for oncoming traffic that he may not have even seen me. There are also many blind bends with very little room to take evasive action if an oncoming vehicle is travelling very close to the edge of the road, as they usually do on sharp bends.

I walked in generally good, sunny conditions. In wet weather and poor visibility the dangers are magnified. Perhaps wearing a high-visibility vest would be going too far, although it is worth remembering that road workers are required to do exactly that for safety reasons.

Walking on busy main roads is risky, and in poor visibility one's clothing must stand out.

It would be useful if local papers could run a small article about pilgrims using the roads in peak walking periods, to build awareness of their growing numbers as the VF becomes more popular. I am sure motorists wonder who these people are and they may even be irritated that pilgrims walk into oncoming traffic and seem unwilling to walk off the tarmac. A driver does not appreciate the problems facing walkers, and may not even know the best way to respond to them. The walker, above all, needs feedback from the driver that he has been seen. I often waved to oncoming drivers to attract their attention, but on one or two occasions that was interpreted as a request for help.

Dogs: Many houses and farms along the VF seem to have very aggressive dogs that can be alarming in the ferocity of their barking and their rushing about inside their fences. One wonders what would happen If one of these dogs got loose. I did not carry a walking pole and had nothing to fend off an attack. I did get a little ankle-nipping from two annoying little terriers that their owner had unleashed as she got out of her car.

Anyway, that's an overview. I will post separate articles on each of my stages, the accomodation I used and navigation.

Bob M
Trying to sort out accommodation for the first week through France, but I feel as though I'm being forced into being a "luxury" pilgrim, which I can ill afford. The school at Camblain l'Abbé - full; the Maison Diocesaine in Arras - full. So, little alternative other than to book expensive b and b's or hotels. I emailed the Association Compostelle-Arras to see if anyone could accommodate me in Arras, but no reply. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Unfortunately I can't help with accommodation in Arras but perhaps this web will be of use.

However if you are walking through northern France near Epernay please do plan to stop at our farm. We offer hospitality, beds and a glass of local champagne.

My first camino shell hangs at the door to welcome passing pilgrims.

Bon chemin!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many of the early VF pilgrims had similar experiences and in 2005 when we were planning to walk from Switzerland we decided to book all of our accommodation ahead. It was a toss up between spontaneity and a bed for the night. Walking with 5 middle-aged women, sleeping in a park and arm-wrestling each other for the park bench wasn't an option!
11 years ago, there were no English guide books, no GPS or Apps, and only one of us had a cell phone. Finding our way was a challenge - the biggest challenge (second only to finding a bed) was getting lost, and nearly every pilgrim grumbled about getting lost. The maps we bought from the AIVF were very pretty but almost useless as far as mileages were concerned. 23 km days were often 32 km and there were many days when 28 km became 38 km. On those occasions it was a great comfort to know that even if you had to walk an extra 10 km was a bed and a hot shower waiting for you at the end of a protracted trek under a 40oC Tuscan sky.
People get all misty-eyed when they ask what it was like to walk the VF 10 years ago. They mostly have the mistaken idea that we ambled along lonely, not-before trodden paths finding our own way between remote villages. It was more like BobM has described his walk in France. Terrifying stretches on highways, long periods with no signs, expensive hotels and the VF pilgrimage hardly known. I reckon that the Camino Frances was pretty much the same in the 1980's.

The section you are looking at is about the worst for accommodation on the route. Looking at your avatar it seems as if you are no stranger to heavy loads and a tent may be the only way if you are really looking to save the pennies. You can post it home as accommodation improves. You may find cheap accommodation around Bruay locally as that whole area is an old and for all I know current coal mining centre and is in no way tourism orientated.

There is also the CPR Accommodation List if you do not already know it.

Many of the early VF pilgrims had similar experiences and in 2005 when we were planning to walk from Switzerland we decided to book all of our accommodation ahead. It was a toss up between spontaneity and a bed for the night. Walking with 5 middle-aged women, sleeping in a park and arm-wrestling each other for the park bench wasn't an option!
11 years ago, there were no English guide books, no GPS or Apps, and only one of us had a cell phone. Finding our way was a challenge - the biggest challenge (second only to finding a bed) was getting lost, and nearly every pilgrim grumbled about getting lost. The maps we bought from the AIVF were very pretty but almost useless as far as mileages were concerned. 23 km days were often 32 km and there were many days when 28 km became 38 km. On those occasions it was a great comfort to know that even if you had to walk an extra 10 km was a bed and a hot shower waiting for you at the end of a protracted trek under a 40oC Tuscan sky.
People get all misty-eyed when they ask what it was like to walk the VF 10 years ago. They mostly have the mistaken idea that we ambled along lonely, not-before trodden paths finding our own way between remote villages. It was more like BobM has described his walk in France. Terrifying stretches on highways, long periods with no signs, expensive hotels and the VF pilgrimage hardly known. I reckon that the Camino Frances was pretty much the same in the 1980's.

I can only speak about the Italian section but I agree with sillydoll's assessment. My wife and I walked the Italian section back in 2008, using handmade guides (big mistake) and did not pre booked accommodation which after a long day of hard walking, with poor or non existent signs, and getting lost numerous times, made for a tough finish some days trying to locate a bed for the night. We experienced much of what sillydoll indicated.

However it was and still remains a great modern day pilgrimage - many warts and all.

More so, the Italian section has improved over the years. There is a well established chain of pilgrim accommodation, better signage, good English guidebooks, and a better general understanding by the local resident population of the Via Francigena. But it ain't the Camino frances.

I can't say that for the France section which honestly is more fiction than fact even today.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I hope this thread is the right place for my question. I am trying to sort out accommodation for the first week through France (leaving Canterbury 1 May), but I feel as though I'm being forced into being a "luxury" pilgrim, which I can ill afford. The school at Camblain l'Abbé - full; the Maison Diocesaine in Arras - full. So, little alternative other than to book expensive b and b's or hotels. I emailed the Association Compostelle-Arras to see if anyone could accommodate me in Arras, but no reply. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi, I am not at home at the moment so no access to records (such as they are since my blog place went bust and closed down!)
It was a difficult time (accommodation and food wise!). I had a tent so could camp even when the gîtes were full (in their gardens or campsites). However I did stay in a hotel in Arras. It does work out expensive....
Check out the Auberges de jeunesse, we stayed in quite a few of them.
I don't recall it as an easy 'camino' at all but would do it again in a jiffy!!!
I wish you well,enjoy .:)

Unfortunately I can't help with accommodation in Arras but perhaps this web will be of use.

However if you are walking through northern France near Epernay please do plan to stop at our farm. We offer hospitality, beds and a glass of local champagne.

My first camino shell hangs at the door to welcome passing pilgrims.

Bon chemin!
Wow! thank you. I haven't checked that part of the route, but I certainly hope it goes past. Au plaisir de faire votre connaissance un jour!

The section you are looking at is about the worst for accommodation on the route. Looking at your avatar it seems as if you are no stranger to heavy loads and a tent may be the only way if you are really looking to save the pennies. You can post it home as accommodation improves. You may find cheap accommodation around Bruay locally as that whole area is an old and for all I know current coal mining centre and is in no way tourism orientated.

There is also the CPR Accommodation List if you do not already know it.
Thank you. I do indeed have the CPR list (am a member), and others...it was just a request for ideas around Arras. Don't be fooled by my avatar - it was two rain covers - the outer one much larger than the under one, which made it look as though I was carrying a house on my back. I'm just a little old lady, really (despite my forum name).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
... I emailed the Association Compostelle-Arras to see if anyone could accommodate me in Arras, but no reply. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello, sirjh. When heading north from Amiens (2014) I passed through Arras. If you wish I could send an email to the couple I stayed with. We are still in touch. We were introduced through a website. Perhaps it's the one you tried:

http://arras-compostelle.over-blog.com/page-4913405.html

Cheers
LK

Last edited:
That's so kind, but I have now been in touch with a lovely lady from the Assoc Compostelle-Arras, who has sorted me out. It was just a panicky reaction to the Maison Diocésaine in Arras being full. Put it all down to pre-departure nerves. Thank you for your kindness.

That's so kind, but I have now been in touch with a lovely lady from the Assoc Compostelle-Arras, who has sorted me out. It was just a panicky reaction to the Maison Diocésaine in Arras being full. Put it all down to pre-departure nerves. Thank you for your kindness.

Excellent!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back