• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comparison to Camino del Salvador / recommendations for 7 - 10 days on Mozarabe

mdots

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, Del Salvador
Hi there

I have just learned about the Camino Mozarabe and as thinking of doing 7 - 10 days on it this May before going to a wedding in Malaga. I have read some of the posts saying it's quite a difficult camino but I am used to hiking and have previously done the Camino del Salvador which although shorter is another mountainous route - just wondering if anyone has done both and how they compare?

I am still doing my research but it looks like either Almeria - Granada, Granada - Corboda or Malaga - Corboda are options for me. Any recommendations on the most scenic and maybe convenient route for doing a section would be appreciated. I am a woman who will be walking alone and my Spanish isn't great but is enough to be friendly and ask about accommodation, food and directions.

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there

I have just learned about the Camino Mozarabe and as thinking of doing 7 - 10 days on it this May before going to a wedding in Malaga. I have read some of the posts saying it's quite a difficult camino but I am used to hiking and have previously done the Camino del Salvador which although shorter is another mountainous route - just wondering if anyone has done both and how they compare?

I am still doing my research but it looks like either Almeria - Granada, Granada - Corboda or Malaga - Corboda are options for me. Any recommendations on the most scenic and maybe convenient route for doing a section would be appreciated. I am a woman who will be walking alone and my Spanish isn't great but is enough to be friendly and ask about accommodation, food and directions.

Thanks!
Hi mdots
- The season you’re walking would make a big difference (in the south )
- May will be getting hot but I guess for 7 days you could bear it.
- There has been a noticeable effect on landscape from drought. (In particular I feel - in the south ).
-walking paths so different (surfaces) in that The almeria to Granada (I came a cropper on way to Quentar Nov 2022) so can’t give my experience further along. The paths are often dry river beds (rocky ) out of Almería and in mountains there is often pebbly switch backs /care and poles advised .
- I found the section of Mozárabe that I did (almeria to almost Quentar) was harder than the Salvador. IMO .
- the Mozárabe still has magnificent views but more of a stark nature -
- the Salvador I walked in April. Actual started todays date 25 April but 2015.
- Salvador was lush at that time and views reflected that , as you know. So spectacular and hard to beat.

But since you’ll be down there for a wedding - it seems sensible to do 7 days near there.
Someone might come in ( @Magwood )? with info on the start from Malaga.

Buen camino ❤️❤️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🥾

The initial start from Almeria goes through messy builders works and farming clutter. The trail follows the river and diverts through distressed villages. This could be avoided.

It begins to become scenic at Guadix. More shaded areas and cooler breezes. Then gets to Granada. A few days of walking. The mountain views are rewarding.

The trail surfaces are firm and broad and easy walking, stony in places. There are ascents and descents, but they are reasonably fair.

I was there in march, with cool mornings.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks so much to both of you for your review of how you found the walk. Upon reflection, I have decided to do some day hikes from Malaga and Granada on this trip instead and return to the Mozarabe in a cooler season, probably this autumn. So I will use your advice then.

@OzAnnie - your reminder about the lushness on the Salvador made me smile. I really enjoyed that route :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back