• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compostela total for the year so far now over 400,000

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting.
Has anyone done any studies recently on how many people DON'T get a Compostela?
Haven't seen any data about that. I would be one of them this year. My impression is that the proportion of pilgrims who do not ask for a Compostela is increasing but I have no evidence to support that feeling.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Haven't seen any data about that. I would be one of them this year. My impression is that the proportion of pilgrims who do not ask for a Compostela is increasing but I have no evidence to support that feeling.
I was wondering about that, as I got one for my first camino this year but not for my second. It somehow felt irrelevant.

I've spoken to several who had walked multiple camino's, only one of whom actually gets a Compostela each time.
Nor was it separated by religion, as I half expected.
One of the most religious ladies I've met in quite some years was one of those who felt a Compostela was completely irrelevant. Her view was that God knew she was on the camino, knew why she was on Camino, so why on earth did she need a piece of paper to prove it? She would rather spend the time that it would have taken to collect it in prayer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think the important part of that datum is best paired with the recent entries from everyone walking the Camino.

It's still pretty crowded at lodgings...
And even more relevant is that last years overall total was less than 2019 and so predictions that somehow the numbers walking this year would exceed the capacity of the various Caminos have proved false.

The various Caminos can easily deal with the numbers currently walking and experienced pilgrims will know that the Spring and Autumn busy periods are indeed busy but easily handled as far as accommodation is concerned.

And even more relevant is that last years overall total was less than 2019
Last year's total was 438,307, and 2019's total was 347,566 - there were 90,741 more Compostelas issued in 2022 than 2019.

Or perhaps you are thinking of the number of those starting from SJPdP, which was 61,104 in 2019 and 52,926 in 2022.

The various Caminos can easily deal with the numbers currently walking and experienced pilgrims will know that the Spring and Autumn busy periods are indeed busy but easily handled as far as accommodation is concerned.
Whilst in general that's true - many times we've heard reports of 1/2 empty municipals, for example - there are those pinch points where people can really struggle.
90,000 more pilgrims is over a 20% increase, in just 3 years. That's BIG. And affecting several Caminos, creating issues on not just the Frances, but the Inglès, the Portuguese, and even possibly the Primitivo , although I've only heard 2 reports so far.
Which makes my initial question even more relevant. Because IF even more people are not bothering to get a Compostela, AND there is a more than 20% increase in pilgrims collecting one, what is the real increase?
It could be of course that the figures remain much the same, or even that the converse is true, but without a well organised study it is of course pure speculation.

And many pilgrims are NOT experienced.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Her view was that God knew she was on the camino, knew why she was on Camino, so why on earth did she need a piece of paper to prove it? She would rather spend the time that it would have taken to collect it in prayer.

That would be a very quick prayer then if she collected it since the Oficina uses the QR registration ;).
I arrived the first of September this year and I was in an out of the Oficina very rapidly.
I wrote already in another thread that I have had longer conversations with the cashier of my local supermarket than with the person behind the desk of the Oficina.

I also know many practising Catholics to whom the Compostela is very important and who will collect it everytime they reach Santiago.

I also know many practising Catholics to whom the Compostela is very important and who will collect it everytime they reach Santiago
I, too - they’re family…. . But even that side of the family is divided on this one.
Even the non- catholic side of the family ( mine) is divided, and again, not necessarily as to whether they’re believer’s or not.
But the non religious among us?
and I was in an out of the Oficina very rapidly.
I, too, on Good Friday, a VERY busy day indeed- seriously impressed with the staff and the service.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I, too - they’re family…. . But even that side of the family is divided on this one.
Even the non- catholic side of the family ( mine) is divided, and again, not necessarily as to whether they’re believer’s or not.
But the non religious among us?

I, too, on Good Friday, a VERY busy day indeed- seriously impressed with the staff and the service.
I’m not religious but have got a Compostella on each of the 3 caminos I have done. It was a nice souvenir at the end of an enjoyable walk. The vast majority of folks (90% +) I met were getting a Compostella, though I sensed most of them weren’t religious though obviously I can’t be sure of that. As long as it is relatively quick and easy I will get one next time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I collected my fifth Compostela yesterday and will proudly frame it and hang in our home in a place of honor. There were only 30 pilgrims in queue ahead of me so the wait was not long.

A tradition we have after we complete the camino and receive our Compostelas is to go to the same jewelry store and buy a gold camino shell which I wear on a gold chain necklace. Some prefer tatoos, I prefer Camino bling! Bob

Attachments

• 269A13F7-D2A8-4B1C-A0A3-39967669FB1B.jpeg
    269A13F7-D2A8-4B1C-A0A3-39967669FB1B.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 15
A tradition we have after we complete the camino and receive our Compostelas is to go to the same jewelry store and buy a gold camino shell which I wear on a gold chain necklace. Some prefer tatoos, I prefer Camino bling! Bob
My late mother-in-law walked the Camino Frances in 1985. Amongst her other talents she was a skilled maker of gold and silver jewellery. When she got back to London she made herself a small silver scallop shell pendant. She lent it to me to wear on my first Camino. I'm not a fan of bling normally but I treasured that one and made sure to return it to her safe and sound.

I collected my fifth Compostela yesterday and will proudly frame it and hang in our home in a place of honor. There were only 30 pilgrims in queue ahead of me so the wait was not long.

Bob, if you don't mind me asking do you hang it for religious reasons or because you are proud of your accomplishment? Or both, I guess.
Or is it simply a lovely Souvenir?

As I have mentioned before on other threads I am genuinely curious as to why people get a Compostela if they're not religious - specifically, Catholic.

Incidentally I recall you writing on another thread - or if not somebody else has the same idea - about your 'bling'. I think it's a great idea.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We display our Compostelas for many reasons. Yes we are proud of our accomplishments, they are artful souvenirs and we are practicing Catholics. We have many other religious artifacts displayed in our home. Bob

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bob, if you don't mind me asking do you hang it for religious reasons or because you are proud of your accomplishment? Or both, I guess.
Or is it simply a lovely Souvenir?

As I have mentioned before on other threads I am genuinely curious as to why people get a Compostela if they're not religious - specifically, Catholic.

Incidentally I recall you writing on another thread - or if not somebody else has the same idea - about your 'bling'. I think it's a great idea.

These links might be of interest. About being a cultural Catholic.
This would describe me and many of my generation.

Plus the Catholic Church gifted us with the most gorgeous Romanesque architecture.

As a cultural Catholic I was very happy to explain a Finnish pilgrim about the processions going on at Viernes Santo. The pilgrim did not relate to any religion. I think it is a bonus in general when you have some knowledge of the relation of cultures and religions.

Last edited:
@SabsP , thank you that was interesting reading. What an interesting concept.

I agree with you completely about the architectural element, but not just from the Catholics. Many years ago when I first started backpacking I sent photographs home. My father responded after the second packet asking if I had found religion - because so many of my photos were of churches!

I completed del Norte last year and Primitivo 2 days ago. I contemplated not getting the Compostela but this year focused on the history of the Primitivo and I partly walked it for a close Catholic friend back in Canada. I bought her a Rosarie at the gift shop and lit candles in churches wherever I could. It felt expansive and loving. I am deeply spiritual but not religious, I am on an intentional mystical path, and was connecting to the Sacred on this path, praying for healing of the "othering" that causes so much difficulty in the world. I'm loving staying in the Seminaria Menor tonight. I send you all many blessings. BTW I decided to get my Compostela and was in and out in 10 minutes.. at about 10 am...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've seen one -- it's about a 1 to 5 proportion overall, so add about 15% to the official numbers.

It's a much smaller proportion in winter, and a higher one in summer.
That's interesting. Where did they get the data on the number of people  not requesting a Compostela?

That's interesting. Where did they get the data on the number of people  not requesting a Compostela?
IIRC it was a research project over many months, over a year I think, involving interviews in SdC plus comparison between pilgrim stats in Albergues etc. near Santiago and Pilgrim Office ones.

Can't remember precise methodology sorry.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
IIRC it was a research project over many months, over a year I think, involving interviews in SdC plus comparison between pilgrim stats in Albergues etc. near Santiago and Pilgrim Office ones.

Can't remember precise methodology sorry.
And then you would still have to add all those pilgrims that don't end their Camino in Santiago de Compostela. Impossible count...

And then you would still have to add all those pilgrims that don't end their Camino in Santiago de Compostela. Impossible count...
It’s would be a relatively easy piece of work for a survey company, assuming they were properly briefed, and got the sample groups and questions right.

Well, you're not a pilgrim to Santiago if you don't -- though if you do your Camino in stages, it actually does balance out, statistically.

Having said that, you're right -- the proportion of those walking to Compostela but not getting a Compostela certificate is easier to establish than the total number in any given year walking some part of some Camino that leads to Compostela. I've seen no serious study from that perspective !!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It’s would be a relatively easy piece of work for a survey company, assuming they were properly briefed, and got the sample groups and questions right.
No -- the survey area for such a project is larger than Europe.

It would not be an "easy" piece of work.
Ah ok sure. I have no knowledge of the subject area - ‘Compostella’s’, but a lot of knowledge/experience of research projects so my view is that for a good research company it would be a very deliverable brief irrespective of geographic scope. As always depends on the budget!!! Anyway….!!!

But how would you do that? For example, my last 2 Caminowalks were from Granada to Córdoba on the Mozárabe and from Puebla de Sanabria to Ourense on the Sanabrés (had to quit because of an injury). What kind of survey could register that?

(Apart from how you would count if people walk in - for example - 2 stages to Santiago de Compostela, are these counted as 2 Caminos or as 1?)

But how would you do that? For example, my last 2 Caminowalks were from Granada to Córdoba on the Mozárabe and from Puebla de Sanabria to Ourense on the Sanabrés (had to quit because of an injury). What kind of survey could register that?

(Apart from how you would count if people walk in - for example - 2 stages to Santiago de Compostela, are these counted as 2 Caminos or as 1?)
A Camino is a Camino, however long or short it is. If you choose to break it up into multiple parts it is still just one Camino. People often talk about how they walked part of the Frances or part of the Salvador.
Many people living in Europe choose to do their camino in Multiple stages. My current camino ( From Germany) is definitely one such.

But my question (post 2) was not how many caminos, the question was how many people choose NOT to get a Compostela at the end of their Camino

No -- the survey area for such a project is larger than Europe.

Incorrect .
A Compostela is only issued in Santiago de Compostela, and so is therefore very easy to measure if you create the correct parameters for a survey, as stated above.

Don’t want to bore folks to death but research can obv be more than surveys. Indeed often focus groups and 121 interviews (qualitive research) often feesds into surveys (quantitive research). The number you need to do can be quite small as long as it is representative and irons out anomalies.

Of course ‘who doesn’t get a comspostella’ is hardly a big deal and even if you get a number, what do you do with it. If I was ‘CEO Compostellas’ I would look to get a question maybe included in more broader Camino research!

Interesting.
Has anyone done any studies recently on how many people DON'T get a Compostela?
Or any studies on what I would call the five-mile faux Compostela crowd. I know a family that arranged a Sarria-Santiago tour and walked a total of maybe 25 miles. It would seem hard to “police” for these if they stop at the right places and get two stamps a day.

Of course ‘who doesn’t get a comspostella’ is hardly a big deal and even if you get a number, what do you do with it. If I was ‘CEO Compostellas’ I would look to get a question maybe included in more broader Camino research!
Agree completely about the 'broader Camino research ' but as to 'hardly a big deal' - Hmmm.
.... My impression is that the proportion of pilgrims who do not ask for a Compostela is increasing but I have no evidence to support that feeling.
Many people seem to place quite a bit of importance on the statistics coming through the Pilgrims office. I would assume that the office has a use for them and doesn't just collect them for the sake of it. I have no idea who else utilizes these numbers but assume that various camino related businesses would, for planning purposes, or ordering of inventory for instance. Let alone those completely reliant on Pilgrims.
Civic bodies, Emergency responders and health services rely heavily on statistics for their future planning. I imagine there are many others that I cannot think of, off the top of my head.
And if the number was originally (for arguments sake) 10% but is steadily increasing it could be potentially significant. Even just 1% is 4,000 more pilgrims... . Roughly 2,000 of which - according to those self- same statistics! - are on the Frances.
But people would not even notice one percent. If however the number has increased to 15%, it starts to be not only noticeable but potentially significant.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Or any studies on what I would call the five-mile faux Compostela crowd. I know a family that arranged a Sarria-Santiago tour and walked a total of maybe 25 miles. It would seem hard to “police” for these if they stop at the right places and get two stamps a day.
A valid point and something that has come up on the forum before. Along with the 'jump on and jump off' the bus brigade. Which could of course be included in @TravellingMan22 's wider study! 😊
Now that you mention it, what else should be included in such a study? 🤔

Incorrect .
A Compostela is only issued in Santiago de Compostela, and so is therefore very easy to measure if you create the correct parameters for a survey, as stated above.
Pilgrimages can have starting points outside of Europe.

The question was not about how many pilgrims arriving ; but how many making their way.

Pilgrimages can have starting points outside of Europe.

The question was not about how many pilgrims arriving ; but how many making their way.
Point 1/ agreed
Point 2/ what question? Up until that point the only related question I see was how many people don’t collect a Compostela - i.e. arrive. Which you yourself answered. I see nothing about how many people are making their way, unless you are referring to the number who are doing part of a Camino (regardless of origin), which is irrelevant to the number of people who COMPLETE the Camino, or, in other words, don’t end it in Santiago de Compostela.
Or am I missing something?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Point 2/ what question? Up until that point the only related question I see was how many people don’t collect a Compostela - i.e. arrive.
It was a secondary question asked by someone else, about how many are engaged on pilgrimages to Santiago.

The problem with Schrōdinger's cat is that it got the Compostela in a tube and that makes it a problem to open rhe tube and see whether the Compostela is inside or not.

It was a secondary question asked by someone else, about how many are engaged on pilgrimages to Santiago.

Do you mean this ?
Which you yourself answered
Well, you're not a pilgrim to Santiago if you don't -- though if you do your Camino in stages, it actually does balance out, statistically.
Hence the reason for my correction, and subsequent confusion

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back