• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Contemplating while walking

vicrev

What do you contemplate while walking ?...........I seem to think about the wheres & whys of all sorts of things,........just to name some....religion...relationships...next meal...will I leave the place I stayed in last night with Bedbugzz.:eek:......Oz politics (up goes the blood pressure):eek:....have I got the right gear ?:(......what is the best wine Iv'e had:p...............sex (yes,still, & the blood pressure goes up again) :eek:........who is/was the best batsman I have seen:)....... Yes I know,some pretty shallow items, but, we can't all solve the world's problems:rolleyes:...........the most annoying was when I was trying to work out, why it is harder to walk uphill, than on the flat, what are the physics, are legs a bad design,etc etc... kept me interested for hours,had to switch off the subject after I tried to walk up the next big hill backwards,to see if it was easier ( it isn't) who should be coming down the hill,a group of Brits,all laughing & giggling at this fool walking backwards up a hill(probably on You Tube thingy):eek:......................keep smiling........Vicrev

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In response to what I thought at the time was an overly inquisitive question along the same line, I responded with 'sex, drugs, and rock and roll'. I then couldn't stop thinking about two of the three for the next few days!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A loaded question and the contemplating could be the bomb! Kaboom!!

Leaving St Jean, I stood in contemplation for at least 5 minutes trying to figure out the map when you reach the split. I was stumped until I finally figured out that the map in my guide book had St Jean at the bottom of the page and the map at the split had St Jean at the top. I'm glad I waited for it to come to me, otherwise I would have taken the low road. Keep straight to the left, keep straight.

On day 2, oh about 4 hours in, I contemplated throwing off my backpack and falling asleep on the trail. :D It never happened.

Seriously though, I just thought about how to become a better person. How to be more tolerant and patient, how to please God. Not judge and to be a better listener. I wondered if I would ever truly like people/human beings, most are self indulgent, it's all about "me, me, me" or have negative attitudes. I wondered if my chance at true love was gone, had it died years ago with my first love? I wondered why all the men in my life have died and gone to heaven. I wondered why God called me to walk the Camino and if I could truly change the world. I wondered when I was going to be called home. So on and so forth.

I was given the chance to see how some of my contemplating played out. I became more patient and tolerant as I couldn't just get up and smoother a snorer or whack them with a walking stick. I had to wait my turn and even let others go ahead of me. I even liked people or should I say had the ability to make room in my heart for some I met along the way. As far as changing the world, I'll just keep being me, you never know. Some questions don't have a direct answer, they just manifest into reality.

Peace be with you and may the Lord guide your steps.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In response to what I thought at the time was an overly inquisitive question along the same line, I responded with 'sex, drugs, and rock and roll'. I then couldn't stop thinking about two of the three for the next few days!
I have to ask Doug, for the next two or three days, what 2 things couldn't you stop thinking about ??.......................

I walked the Camino with my brother who had travelled from Australia and we talked pretty much non stop all the way so there was little time for contemplation. I hope to walk again in April 2014 but alone this time, or as alone as anyone can be on the Camino. My problem is I love meeting people and finding out out about where the live, the climate, what the countryside is like etc, so unless I take time out for contemplation next year may not be any different.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try walking it in the winter - you will often be free to contemplate - when not battling the elements! Mind you, you could talk to yourself for hours on end and no one would be any the wiser as your words got whisked away by the wind! Janet

I enjoyed being an empty vessel with the start of each new day, and just allowing the each day to unfold. Along the way, I encountered many people from all over the world. I also had interactions with local people, despite my poor Spanish. Each person left an impression with me.

Each day, my "vessel" began to fill with positive experiences. From time to time, I would render assistance to someone - anyone who needed anything, without limit or qualification. Usually this was a fellow pilgrim, but on a few occasions it happened to be a local person. This just seemed to be something I fell into without effort or thought. Perhaps it was my personality or "inner nature" coming out. Perhaps I wanted to "BE" the Camino.

In any event, each encounter further filled my "vessel" with positive experiences. I saw soul-altering landscapes, buildings, and daily scenes of activity. The vessel kept filling up.

Over the days, then weeks, there began to emerge an accumulation of thought and feeling that I became consciously aware of. While earlier, I did not consider or contemplate the meaning or effect of the many interactions, views, and encounters I had along the way, after some time, the accumulated feelings began to surface. I became consciously aware of inner change. I know it sounds hokey, but it was and is real to me.

Each evening, I would reflect on that day, the things I did , saw, and experienced. I also gave some thought to what I might do differently the next day to enhance my overall experience.

The entire five weeks I walked from St. Jean to Santiago were a long course in learning, understanding (myself and others), forgiveness (again myself and others), contemplation and meditation (sometimes religious - other times mostly just emptiness - allowing the day to provide a focus). I liken it to sort of Zen-like meditative state. My "mantra" was the sounds of my boots on the path or the cadence of my rubber-tipped hiking poles.

The overall result was a thorough cleansing, a purging if you will of mind, soul and body. I arrived at Santiago understanding more and better both about me as a person and about the world, writ large. In short, I finally "got it." THAT was the seminal moment for me.

As an aside, I suffer from lifelong depression manifested as anhedonia and dysthymia. In 2006, I was diagnosed with PTSD and an anxiety disorder related to my profession. This combination of issues led to my early medical retirement at age 53. For me, walking the Camino Frances was a cathartic, life-altering, and soul healing experience. It also helped center (not cure) much of my mental issues. So, the bottom line is that I now believe that I need to do more Caminos to maintain that new balance.

And that is why I keep coming back to this forum and my extended, though largely anonymous "Camino Family." It is also why I am setting a personal goal of trying to do at least one Camino route each year for as long as my health and finances allow.

Happy New Year to all!

I enjoyed being an empty vessel with the start of each new day, and just allowing the each day to unfold. Along the way, I encountered many people from all over the world. I also had interactions with local people, despite my poor Spanish. Each person left an impression with me.

Each day, my "vessel" began to fill with positive experiences. From time to time, I would render assistance to someone - anyone who needed anything, without limit or qualification. Usually this was a fellow pilgrim, but on a few occasions it happened to be a local person. This just seemed to be something I fell into without effort or thought. Perhaps it was my personality or "inner nature" coming out. Perhaps I wanted to "BE" the Camino.

In any event, each encounter further filled my "vessel" with positive experiences. I saw soul-altering landscapes, buildings, and daily scenes of activity. The vessel kept filling up.

Over the days, then weeks, there began to emerge an accumulation of thought and feeling that I became consciously aware of. While earlier, I did not consider or contemplate the meaning or effect of the many interactions, views, and encounters I had along the way, after some time, the accumulated feelings began to surface. I became consciously aware of inner change. I know it sounds hokey, but it was and is real to me.

Each evening, I would reflect on that day, the things I did , saw, and experienced. I also gave some thought to what I might do differently the next day to enhance my overall experience.

The entire five weeks I walked from St. Jean to Santiago were a long course in learning, understanding (myself and others), forgiveness (again myself and others), contemplation and meditation (sometimes religious - other times mostly just emptiness - allowing the day to provide a focus). I liken it to sort of Zen-like meditative state. My "mantra" was the sounds of my boots on the path or the cadence of my rubber-tipped hiking poles.

The overall result was a thorough cleansing, a purging if you will of mind, soul and body. I arrived at Santiago understanding more and better both about me as a person and about the world, writ large. In short, I finally "got it." THAT was the seminal moment for me.

As an aside, I suffer from lifelong depression manifested as anhedonia and dysthymia. In 2006, I was diagnosed with PTSD and an anxiety disorder related to my profession. This combination of issues led to my early medical retirement at age 53. For me, walking the Camino Frances was a cathartic, life-altering, and soul healing experience. It also helped center (not cure) much of my mental issues. So, the bottom line is that I now believe that I need to do more Caminos to maintain that new balance.

And that is why I keep coming back to this forum and my extended, though largely anonymous "Camino Family." It is also why I am setting a personal goal of trying to do at least one Camino route each year for as long as my health and finances allow.

Happy New Year to all!

What a wonderful and open expression of your experiences "t2andreo, you explain them so well that I can identify with some of them. Your being an empty vessel with no expectations only to find you learnt so much about yourself and others. Forgiveness of self and others, the beauty of others, the country side and the Zen like medative state with the rythem of walking, yes! Did you know that: solvitur ambulando(Saint Augustine): It Is Solved By Walking.
I too return to an extended camino family here on the forum, and i have just through your post, been introduced to another pilgrim leaving an impression with me. Your self t2andreo .
A very Happy New Year to you too, thank you.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
What a wonderful and open expression of your experiences "t2andreo, you explain them so well that I can identify with some of them. Your being an empty vessel with no expectations only to find you learnt so much about yourself and others. Forgiveness of self and others, the beauty of others, the country side and the Zen like medative state with the rythem of walking, yes! Did you know that: olvitur ambulando(Saint Augustine): It Is Solved By Walking.
I too return to an extended camino family here on the forum, and i have just through your post, been introduced to another pilgrim leaving an impression with me. Your self t2andreo .
A very Happy New Year to you too, thank you.

Thank you for your kind New Year wishes. May I extend the same to you and yours.

No, I was not aware of the statement by St. Augustine. But I am now. It does explain a lot, in a cogent and concise manner.

In a similar vein, I have seen it stated elsewhere in the forum that (and I am paraphrasing): "...it is not for nothing that the Camino is referred to as the longest psychiatrist's couch in Europe..." I suppose that is closer to the mark than not.

The take-away from this exchange is that if we empty ourselves of preconceptions, prejudices and biases, taking each new day as it comes; while starting each day being friendly, generous, flexible, and open to the experience, the "goodness" will find us... Stated another way we have all heard often," the Camino provides..."

When I started the Frances I contemplated the absolute chaos of my life and the disaster zone that sent me on my way, that was pretty much my main thought for the first third of the trip. The middle third was a bit more eclectic as the distance between me and my previous life built, thinking about all sorts. Sex, drugs and rock & roll would be a good summary for me too (sorry, Doug, I was thinking about all three :D). The final third was weird as I realised one day that I was thinking about... nothing. Absolutely nothing. It was like when people talk about zen being the space between thoughts, same kind of feeling. I had no thoughts other than the awareness of my surroundings and the practicalities of life (I'm hot, I'm hungry, I'm tired, etc). That was a very special time.

Thank you for your kind New Year wishes. May I extend the same to you and yours.

No, I was not aware of the statement by St. Augustine. But I am now. It does explain a lot, in a cogent and concise manner.

In a similar vein, I have seen it stated elsewhere in the forum that (and I am paraphrasing): "...it is not for nothing that the Camino is referred to as the longest psychiatrist's couch in Europe..." I suppose that is closer to the mark than not.

The take-away from this exchange is that if we empty ourselves of preconceptions, prejudices and biases, taking each new day as it comes; while starting each day being friendly, generous, flexible, and open to the experience, the "goodness" will find us... Stated another way we have all heard often," the Camino provides..."

When I noodle around with the Latin, if I try to translate "it is solved by walking," I get "solvendum est per quandam ambulando." Which is it?

I am curious, but before I have it silk-screened on a T-shirt, I would want to be absolutely sure of the translation and grammar. :eek:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I noodle around with the Latin, if I try to translate "it is solved by walking," I get "solvendum est per quandam ambulando." Which is it?

I am curious, but before I have it silk-screened on a T-shirt, I would want to be absolutely sure of the translation and grammar. :eek:

Sorry t2andreo not to reply earlier I have only just spotted your post. I made a typo when i first posted mine missing the S off the beginning solvitur ambulando (now edited) I am not a Latin Scholar but feel quite confident you would be correct to put it on your T shirt. Having made several Google attempts to try and disprove myself I think if PG Woodhouse amongst others like Dorothy L Sayers, Thoreau, and Bruce Chatwin in their works used the phrase; and understood perfectly it's translation you would be in good company.
(Just google the phrase see what you come up with) :)
Thanks again for our exchange I was just looking up your previous summing up to remind myself of it, when I spotted this post of yours :)

Last edited:

Pilgrimb:

Never mind. I sorted it. The original quote which might have been either St Augustine OR St. Jerome is a Latin colloquialism...not a literal statement. That explains why it translated differently when I went at it.

You are also correct that many authors have used it over the years, including those you list above AND Lewis Carroll as well. Your typo explanation made ALL the difference... Thanks.

Now I can see about that T-shirt. I have an idea...:eek:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pilgrimb:

Never mind. I sorted it. The original quote which might have been either St Augustine OR St. Jerome is a Latin colloquialism...not a literal statement. That explains why it translated differently when I went at it.

Here's another one for you. Your "Non potest esse de rebus dissensio gustus." is usually just "de gustibus non disputandum", although the internet seems to like including the optional "est", so also "de gustibus non est disputandum" but you rarely used to see the est written out like that in normal usage in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

EDIT BTW, Solvitur ambulando is also attributed to Diogenes, so maybe even earlier.

Last edited:
Here's another one for you. Your "Non potest esse de rebus dissensio gustus." is usually just "de gustibus non disputandum", although the internet seems to like including the optional "est", so also "de gustibus non est disputandum" but you rarely used to see the est written out like that in normal usage in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

EDIT BTW, Solvitur ambulando is also attributed to Diogenes, so maybe even earlier.

Like we say...touche!:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Contemplating..............never ending.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my Camino forum friends.

Buen Camino,
Angela

Like we say...touche!:)

Yes I have spotted your other Idea 2andreo , I have the same on my web site that's how I knew about it! Did you read mine on here ? And we are still on post Contemplating footers!!! :confused:

Yes I have spotted your other Idea 2andreo , I have the same on my web site that's how I knew about it! Did you read mine on here ? And we are still on post Contemplating footers!!! :confused:

Yes I did see the discussion about matters of taste not being disputable. But I favor the contemporary colloquialism..."whatever..." It is concise, and says the exact same thing. Plus people understand you - unlike when I fling esoteric Latin phrases about.

It's all good...

Happy New Year!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try walking it in the winter - you will often be free to contemplate - when not battling the elements! Mind you, you could talk to yourself for hours on end and no one would be any the wiser as your words got whisked away by the wind! Janet

Hi Janet

I am looking to do the Norte route in March 2014 so hearing those comments is enlightening :)

Debbie

When you´re into the contemplation scene, it doesn´t matter much who or what is happening around you. When you go deep, you stay down there a while. One of the most peaceable spirits I ever met on the camino stayed with us in September 2013, during one of the most intense CF bed-race championships ever run.
He showed up late, slept in late, stayed even later to say his morning prayers, and somehow always found a place to lay his head. He was a blessing to everyone around him. The noise and stress was fierce. He just walked in peace. He chose not to play the game.

When you´re into the contemplation scene, it doesn´t matter much who or what is happening around you. When you go deep, you stay down there a while. One of the most peaceable spirits I ever met on the camino stayed with us in September 2013, during one of the most intense CF bed-race championships ever run.
He showed up late, slept in late, stayed even later to say his morning prayers, and somehow always found a place to lay his head. He was a blessing to everyone around him. The noise and stress was fierce. He just walked in peace. He chose not to play the game.

I really like that Reb that's where it is nice to be, 'if only' I were disciplined enough to stay down there. That is the secret I am working on here at home, it is harder to get there and stay so peacful off camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
B., that is where breath comes in. When you are distracted or stressing or whatever, and you feel yourself tightening up, (or judging yourself for being distracted and stressing!) just shift your awareness to your breath, and let go of all that. I breathe and tell myself "go deep."
Real Life is not any easier here on the camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back