• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

convent closures on the Madrid route

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I was told the convent in Santa Maria la Real de Nieva has closed.
When searching for a thread about it I came across one indicating that the convent at Medina de Rioseco has closed. (I couldn't, however, find one about Santa Maria). Does anyone know if they are both shut up now (or either of them) and whether there are any plans for them to open again (by October)? Gracias.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The albergue in Santa Maria la Real is not in a convent, it's in a little house and run by a man who drives trucks for a living. He told me the home has been in the family for several generations and had always been used as a home for seasonal workers when the family had ag operations, which they no longer do. He said he thought offering the home for another set of transients was an appropriate thing to do, I believe the albergue is donativo, if I remember correctly.
Anyway, the monasterio and cloister are a short walk away, and I don't know if they are closed, but it won't impact your sleeping plans if that is what you were wondering about. I know that the convent in Medina is closed and its albergue with it.

Thanks Laurie- I'll pass this info on to the other lady too. We'll have to look at other options for Medina.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back