• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cooking your own food

Milly2b

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan on walking the Camino Frances in August 2017
Hi there!
I'm planning on walking the Camino Frances in 2-3 months and have a pretty tight budget. So I was wondering whether it is possible to buy cheap ingredients (rice, lentils etc) in most villages along the way and cook them in most hostels instead of paying for the pilgrim meal ?
Thanks for reading!
Milly

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not really possible.

Most albergues have kitchens equipped with stove.

Most albergues are devoid of having any pots or utensils with which to cook or eat. Where there are utensils, they are LARGE pots intended for making HUGE communal meals.

You can get by on sandwiches ... cold meat and cheese on bread (note that in the smaller villages the bread is too often suitable only for carpentry).

I carried kfs, a plastic bowl, and a metal cup. Some people carry an electric coil.

I carried tea and muesli cereal for making breakfast. In places that didn't have anything with which to make hot water I would have a can of coke. In one place I made hot water in a microwave using the only wine glass.

I started out buying sandwich makings but found it hard to find a dry clean place to sit (during my late fall camino) and ended up buying hot sandwiches (Bocadillo Frances being a favorite).

Menu Peregrino was usually a good deal for supper with 3 course meal and good if cheap wine. In any event I was usually too tired to want to cook my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Milly2b welcome to the forum. Cooking your own meals from locally bought ingredients, on your own or sharing with others is a long established tradition along the caminos. Some of the communal cook-ups I have shared have been among the more memorable fodder I've consumed. That said you need to be aware that not every Albergue by any means has an equipped kitchen. The Xunta Albergues in Galicia are famed (notorious) for having extensive well furbished kitchens devoid of any pots, pans or dishes and a cooker ot microwave without a plug.

www.Gronze.com is a good resource for identifying which Albergues do have accessable and useable kitchens, and for identifying particularly the smaller villages that do have functioning shops, tiendas. You probably won't want to be carry a Kg of rice and Lentils for far so do try to think about what you want to eat and how you might cook it in a scratchily equipped kitchen with two dented pots. A 'menu peregrino' is usually available somewhere each day for @ €10.

Happy planning

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
IMGP1890.jpg IMGP1944.jpg IMGP2029.jpg

Three pictures to further illustrate, a Menu Peregrino (includes dessert, bread and wine): a microwaved bag of frozen paella with some microwaved fresh broccoli cooked in the Albergue and with an exquisite bottle of wine cost me €8 but I had to wash up: half-way through a seafood eating frenzy in Fisterra with the end of the world in sight cost me about €35 but oh boy was I happy (and I didn't have to wash-up. :p

Cheese, roasted peppers, olives, and bread are really cheap. I would not count on having cooking facilities but rather think of grab and go stuff. I made excellent sandwiches often. More tips can be found on my blog. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been on the Camino Frances several times, and have only eaten in a restaurant a handful of times. Most of the albergues do have a kitchen with utensils, some better equipped than others. It pays to check on this board to see which ones are better equipped. I was the assigned cook each trip for our group, and our meals were often quite robust. After we arrived at our predetermined albergue, part of our group would wash clothes and bathe, and I would hit the local supermarket for food. Some of our meals were quite elaborate, but cheap, chicken and rice, steak sandwiches, I even made pesto one night. (I enjoy cooking). One of my fondest memories is from Portomarin. In the albergue, I prepared a roast chicken, garlic bread, corn and salad for our group. During the meal came a tired pair of Japanese pilgrims. They spoke little English or Spanish, but understood that "dinner was served". They were grateful to us for the remainder of the trip, and we made some great friends.

Your meals need not be so elaborate. Some bread, a little prepackaged tortilla from the supermarket, jamon, wine and a side salad and you have a meal fit for a king. I wouldn't trade the memories of my communal meals with my friends for anything. - Steve

I took an ultra light pot and a cooking spoon, and had pasta and sauce and soup regularly. I did cook less than I though I would but the groceries in Northern Spain were so cheap that it did save a lot.

Kathy

Hey Milly,

On the Francés it is definitely possible to cook your own meals most days. I did, almost every day. A few times there was no kitchen, I then either bought some snacks (like sandwich, tortilla) in a bar or ate something cold (bread, tomatoes, olives.... ect.). Only went to a restaurant twice (first and last day).

Even the small shops (tiendas) are not very expensive to buy ingredients if you only cook simple meals. Pasta, canned lentils and chickpeas are usually available, as are bread, cheese ect. to make a bocadillo for breakfast/lunch.

Just find out which albergue has a kitchen (ask before you check in), most municipal ones seemed to have one (at least two years ago when I walked). And maybe carry a small lightweight pot, a spork and a pocket knife - just in case there's no equipment in the kitchen (sounds crazy, but in Galicia that's often the case - huge kitchens, no pots).

Also, you can ask others to cook and eat with you - that can be a very nice experience, and it's an easy way to make friends (especially if you add a bottle of wine).

Buen Camino,
and have fun cooking!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hey

forget about the pilgrims menu, not worth the money.
you can make it yourself and it will be cheaper.
if you have the chance enjoy the communal dinners ,nice to meet
other pilgrims and have some great conversations.
and sometimes they are free or donativo.
don´t get fooled 10 euro for pilgrims menu (pasta, eggs,bread,lettuce,flan and wine)
almost every menu is the same .
wine in spain is dirt cheap and is sometimes better than wat you get with the menu.

hey

forget about the pilgrims menu, not worth the money.
you can make it yourself and it will be cheaper.
if you have the chance enjoy the communal dinners ,nice to meet
other pilgrims and have some great conversations.
and sometimes they are free or donativo.
don´t get fooled 10 euro for pilgrims menu (pasta, eggs,bread,lettuce,flan and wine)
almost every menu is the same .
wine in spain is dirt cheap and is sometimes better than wat you get with the menu.

Haha ok definitely sticking to making my own food then !
And when you say the "communal dinners" do you mean a bunch of pilgrims cooking their own food together or is this something else?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
hi milly2b
there are albergue´s mostly from the church that have communal dinners.
you get dinner and sometimes wine, and it is donativo.
very nice to talk and get to know you're fellow pilgrims.
if there is no communal dinner just ask some pilgrims and cook together.
you will be amazed what an amazing feast you can creat with only a couple of
euro´s per person.
cheaper than a pilgrims menu and much more fun.

hi milly2b
there are albergue´s mostly from the church that have communal dinners.
you get dinner and sometimes wine, and it is donativo.
very nice to talk and get to know you're fellow pilgrims.
if there is no communal dinner just ask some pilgrims and cook together.
you will be amazed what an amazing feast you can creat with only a couple of
euro´s per person.
cheaper than a pilgrims menu and much more fun.

Oh ok cool I hadn't heard of that! Thanks for the advice

Thank you all for your detailed replies !!
I think I have all the info I need now food-wise, I am so excited about this walk !
Milly
The common thread among responses is that it’s good to be real flexible regarding meals. Some days it’s possible to put together a really nice meal, other days the goal is just to get some edible calories into your tired body, and on other days you’ll be grateful for that one restaurant that offers a pilgrim menu for 10€

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is a 4.5 years old thread, but still valid. Some albergues offer communal dinners. Attend them; it is often a good place to make new friends, Other times there is equipment in the kitchens to make a meal for yourself or toghether with others, which will be cheap and fun.

In Galicia, the kitchens are there, but not equipped... You will need to go out for a meal.

But you can always go to the local shop, buy some bread, ham, meat, cheese, vegetables and wine, and have a splendid dinner, at low cost, and simultaneously support the local businesses.

Last edited:
An old thread maybe, but for those planing their first Camino , one of the first questions asked.
So we are talking LOW budget. I take a detachable 'Camping Gaz' stove and purchase a canister at the first city or big town - it self seals and the stove and gas can be stored separately. I also take a tin mug and billy can which can both be attached to the outside of the pack. So to start , coffee or tea anywhere , anytime.
A boxed litre of Vino -€1.50 or less , A tin of Lentils , cothido , or beans with meat - up to €2.00. Pasta with tomato sauce - max €2. Fruit and fresh veg I find expensive - tinned peaches or corn make a good lunch. Bottled Pimentos(shredded is half the price) on bread , perfect. Bread does not last for much more than a day. Some small shops will sell you single eggs ,or a half loaf of bread.
Meat and cheese are expensive as they are in most parts of the world. What I did learn was that the darker the cheese wax is , the more expensive starting from yellow to black. Morcilla , a blood rice pudding is inexpensive but one needs to get ones head around it - I personally love Morcilla.
So, YES , it is possible to cook ones own food and live off €5 to €7 even WITH a couple of glasses of wine. Remember , my recommendation is for the whole day and not just a single Pilgrim's menu?
Finally , always carry a spare dry ration meal with you , and some snacks - raisins , nuts ...... the Spanish calendar boasts many public holidays when shops are closed - I do hope this helps some of you asparating souls.

Last edited:
Old thread, still the same questions and need for info! 👍. Covid shut down a number of the communal meals as well as kitchens, so “ready to eat” foods should find a place in your backpack since Spanish meal times and pilgrim meal times seldom line up. Sure there are still pilgrim meals in many towns, but not in some areas and not on weekends and not when the wind is blowing….😎. ALWAYS have nuts or cheese just in case.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We did cookies and wine to share! 🥰

Many kitchens are closed right now due to the pandemic and not as many shared breakfasts or shared meals in the evening either. I do think it depends on the region and what restrictions may be in place and whether the facility is following the restrictions or not. There was supposedly a fine for those who were not following the imitations when my husband, Phil, was hospitalero in September on the meseta, but that did not seem to deter others.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many kitchens are closed right now due to the pandemic and not as many shared breakfasts or shared meals in the evening either. I do think it depends on the region and what restrictions may be in place and whether the facility is following the restrictions or not. There was supposedly a fine for those who were not following the imitations when my husband, Phil, was hospitalero in September on the meseta, but that did not seem to deter others.

@J Willhaus . With many Albergue kitchens closed, would it be possible to warm up some food with a mini gas stove like @RENSHAW suggests above? Or would that be frowned upon? Would need care to do it of course, safely and not in a Dorm room!

Just bouncing around options for more remote Caminos...

I suppose you could cook outside, but using an open flame burner/stove indoors would generally be frowned upon and likely result in the hospitalero considering removing you from the albergue since you’d be putting others in danger.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

€46,-
we always take our gas stove and a cooking pot - but we are usually on bikes! Have cooked up outside albergues where there are no or busy facilities - but found most albergues have a few utensils/pots etc. It is much cheaper to cook for yourself - or communally - we tend to have the pilgrim meal once a week or so as a treat - and have always had lovely meals with several courses and usually wine...
The best communal was at Guemes - Father Ernesto and his merry band treat you royally!

Just bouncing around options for more remote Caminos...
How remote are we talking about? On most routes, you could miss a hot meal a time or two, but you'll get over it, and it is part of the adventure.:p Just make sure you carry some high calorie snacks at the bottom of your pack so you'll have them when necessary.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
When in Zamora as hospitaleros, we did have one Italian peregrino who carried a single espresso maker and a tiny stove
He said he slept out some in the winter due to distances between albergues and used his stove, but that seemed more by choice and not due to hardship.

Oh yes - we always take a handpresso espresso maker! I need at least two hits of coffee a day to keep me cycling - and I cannot afford to stop at cafes that often - so it is well used! The other 'extra' item is a small seed sprouter (not for walkers perhaps!) so we get fresh sprouts every third day - keeps the scurvy away when fresh veg is sometimes far between!

Oh yes - we always take a handpresso espresso maker! I need at least two hits of coffee a day to keep me cycling - and I cannot afford to stop at cafes that often - so it is well used! The other 'extra' item is a small seed sprouter (not for walkers perhaps!) so we get fresh sprouts every third day - keeps the scurvy away when fresh veg is sometimes far between!
This was a one cup with the reservoir in the bottom.

€46,-
How remote are we talking about? On most routes, you could miss a hot meal a time or two, but you'll get over it, and it is part of the adventure.:p Just make sure you carry some high calorie snacks at the bottom of your pack so you'll have them when necessary.

Not 'that' remote. VdlP.
I just noted on a few blogs / videos that it is not always possible to find a meal.
And given that many kitchens might be closed due to Covid etc.

But as you say, a cold snack meal now and again won't kill me! ;)

Just one of those ideas, like the Rice Cooker :rolleyes:
Except a small stove, gas bottle and pot only weighs about 200 gms.

I'll park that idea. :)

1640992242536.png

and now they come in jazzy colours! I have used mine regularly cycling and hiking for about 9 years - and I now need to change the seals - which should cost less than £10
This little machine has saved me from despair - and got me up the next hill!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.