• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

costs

Time of past OR future Camino
march 2023
Planning my trip i was wondering about the average costs of the Albergue's on the Francis Way. I was thinking maybe get a hotel every week or more, but trying to limit costs and be more of a 'pilgram'.

Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think it does vary depending on where you are on this route. Early on the first few days from SJPDP it is a bit more and if you include meals with your bed, it can run 30-35 Euros not including your lunches or coffee while walking. Later on the meseta in smaller towns and in Galicia at the Xunta albergues beds are a little less, but plan on 10-15 Euros average. Cities are a bit more expensive.

I would say if you have an average budget of 35 Euros a day that is enough for a bed and to feed yourself. Increase your budget to 40-50 Euros per day if you are shipping your bag or need to get occasional transportation. Don't forget items you may not think about like purchases at the pharmacy for blister stuff or aches and pains which can add up.

Build in some cushion in case you get sick and need to hole up somewhere in a private room for a few days. That happened to several people this last year on the forum.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for the reply! Just one question, donativo, is that meaning donation to the establishment?
Yes, some places don't charge a fixed price, they ask for a donation instead. It may be that some people who stay can't afford much of a donation, so it is advised that others pay a little more to cover that expense.

In the guide books and in Gronze.com you will see a D rather than a price. That means the albergue is donation based. You will usually be directed to put money in a box or slot in the wall, etc. Many of these albergues are staffed by volunteers and the amenities they offer may vary. Some may be a nice bunk while others may be a mat to sleep on the floor. Some offer breakfast and/or communal evening meal. Others still may offer a short meditation time with pilgrims to ponder why they or walking the Camino.

Planning my trip i was wondering about the average costs of the Albergue's on the Francis Way. I was thinking maybe get a hotel every week or more, but trying to limit costs and be more of a 'pilgram'.

Thanks
I think a budget somewhere in the range of 35-50 Euros/day is the range most of us fall under. I usually spend an average of 35 euros/day - but I budget for more. Keep in mind - this is for the Frances. Other routes such as the Norte can be more expensive. I usually stay in a mix of municipal/donativo/religous/private albergues - but I also get private rooms.

And keep in mind - most of the time there won't be traditional "hotels" (as one would consider hotels in the US for example). More like albergues with private rooms or guesthouse type accommodations. These guesthouses are usually quite nice and many have private bathrooms. Hotels are more present in the bigger towns/cities.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for the reply! Just one question, donativo, is that meaning donation to the establishment?
Yes - donativos don't have a set cost. They operate on donations only. But - please - if you stay in them, give to them what you would pay for similar accomodations to the extent your budget will allow. Donativos are not supposed to be "free". If they serve a meal - your donation will pay for the next nights meal. I tend to give more at donativos because some people think they are "free". They still need money to keep serving pilgrims.

Thanks
When I did the Frances , before I set off I was adding funds to a travel money card which came in 8 currencies and the only time the company charged a fee was when I wanted to take some funds out of an atm which was 3 euros . Now there was a time when i needed some Me time to chill and relax and I knew I would not get that in an Albergue.. so I went on Booking.com and booked a pension which is a budget hotel and each time I had no regrets .. how I paid for that was to use PayPal and I had 4 months interest free payments so found that easier to use ..

but trying to limit costs and be more of a 'pilgram'.

Thanks
Limiting the cost will not make you more of a pilgrim, the albergue infrastructure was originally set up to cater for pilgrims who couldn't afford hotels but staying in hotels won't make you less of a pilgrim.
Enjoy the comfort of a hotel or hostal every now and then, being a pilgrim is in your heart.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks
Honestly, general costs have increased greatly during the six months of my current Camino this year, so that planning one's future costs may be rather hard until the point when things will settle down again - - but do expect a more expensive Camino than the current online information might suggest.

Thanks for all the replies but wondering about payment. Is mastercard and visa accepted for most albegues or is cash mostly required - Mike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cash only or card too is at least about 50/50 in high season when all the private Albergues are open, though the Municipal and other public ones are typically cash only.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Am arriving St. Jean 31st March (Easter Sunday), and start walking April 1st. Any suggestions about how busy St. Jean is likely to be, and whether it's necessary to book a hostel?
Hallo everyone, first of all, thank you to you all for being so generous sharing your questions and experience. When I was not sure when my next camino would start reading about socks choice...
I know October is not a month with many pilgrims but will we have a calendar for checking in on this section of the forum?
Hi, I’m Jen. I live in the US in Vancouver, Washington which is part of the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area. I am planning to walk the Camino Portugués. I will take the traditional central...
Hey everyone, I am Ali, going to do two weeks of camino the french way. I am based in Barcelona so I will start my journey by going to Pampolna on March 23rd and from there to Saint Jean Pied de...
I leave Richmond, VA, for SJPdP, arriving on Monday, 25 March. Many thanks to Ivar for creating this community forum and for all the contributions from so many pilgrims! The resources, insights...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back