• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credentials of Confraternity of St James

diandlola

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hi. First timere here. I have used a tour operator to book my camino, which includes accom, luggage transfer, pilgrim passport etc. Do I still need to register beforehand with the Confraternity of St James?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not much of a tour operator by the sounds of it!

Edit: quips aside, I'm not sure what happens when the credential/passport is issued. Does the issuer log it somewhere?
Well assuming you have the "passport"/credential, the next time you need to register is upon completion of the camino to receive the Compostela. Instructions at the cathedral's pilgrim's office or on the website.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do I still need to register beforehand with the Confraternity of St James?
No. No one has to register their Camino anywhere in advance. The only obligatory registration is with the pilgrim office in Santiago on completion of your Camino and even then only if you want to receive a Compostela.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Apologies for being blonde! I now realize that the credencial is the pilgrim passport. My problem is the tour operator in Spain sends it to the first place of accommodation, but the Spanish Visa office in South Africa want the original with my visa application.

I have one which I haven't used yet. Has a number on it but otherwise blank.

You could order another one from the Confraternity which is how I got mine.

Apologies for being blonde! I now realize that the credencial is the pilgrim passport. My problem is the tour operator in Spain sends it to the first place of accommodation, but the Spanish Visa office in South Africa want the original with my visa application.

Ok I'll be more helpful than my earlier response!.

Register here: https://csjofsa.za.org/pilgrim-passport/

A quick glance of the page suggests to me that it basically is a requirement in your country in order to obtain a visa. So go ahead and register and obtain the south african credential. And they also provide letters for visa purposes.

You also will have a nice talking point when you meet other pilgrims who are using a generic Spanish credential.

Edit: do your due diligence! The page looks legit and it seems to be what your visa office are asking for.

I didn't realise they weren't allowed to call it a credential outside of spain. I guess my irish one also didn't use the word credential and instead called it a pilgrim passport.

When you arrive in Spain you can either use your s african one or the spanish one.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I didn't realise they weren't allowed to call it a credential outside of spain. I guess my irish one also didn't use the word credential and instead called it a pilgrim passport.

They appear to be slightly different as this one does use the phrase. Good spot on the ZA site.

Attachments

• Pilgrim_Record.jpg
    Pilgrim_Record.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Do I still need to register beforehand with the Confraternity of St James?
Pre-registration is optional -- however, for those taking a more "normal" and/or "conventional" route along one of the major Ways, it has the convenience pilgrim-side of speeding things up ; and the MASSIVE advantage Pilgrim Office -side of hugely increasing the efficiency of the volunteers there, plus reducing the queues that used to exist by 95%+.

Some pilgrims do still exist outside of the norms, but we are a minuscule proportion, and from experience we also know how not to expect nor demand more time from the lovely volunteers than is absolutely needed.

Having said that, you can in nearly every case do your online registration after you reach Compostela. That's not me, my tech is not compatible (and usually my Caminos aren't), but in this case it's 99%+ pilgrims who can.

Pilgrims who may prefer it can pre-register at the very start of the Spanish portion of their Way, and this will speed up the delivery of their distance certificate if they want one, as well as speeding up the verification process, assuming that the pilgrims will have ensured electronic verification at least 2/day over the last 100K.

It is important to understand that ALL of this is to help the Pilgrim Office and the volunteers there get their job done most efficiently, with the split second photo finish second purpose of helping pilgrims have the smoothest possible experience at the Pilgrim Office.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nor do I.

You realise the op is talking about registering for Spanish Visa purposes and you're talking about registering for the Compostela?

Anyway my response was simply that travel agents usually help with this kind of thing. That was before i realised the op was based in south Africa but the tour agency is in Spain

I was blonde for the first few years of my life !! (now auburn)

If that's what they want, then just order a new one and get it sent to you at home in SA rather than relying on the tour operator.

After you receive it, go to your Catholic Parish Church, even if that's just once in your life, and ask them to stamp it for you.

That will fulfil the requirement.

You realise the op is talking about registering for Spanish Visa purposes and you're talking about registering for the Compostela?
Yes and I have responded to both aspects of the issue.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the UK The CFSJ will send you the credentials by post. Each one is numbered by hand. So I expect your name gets logged with the number on the credential.

There is also a form to fill out after you have completed the Camino, which you can send back to them.

To hopefully clear up some confusion (and not just create more).

A lot of people are saying that no pre-registration with the national pilgrim association is necessary, and that one can just bring along a credencial (or get one at the start) and start walking. This is true as far as the requirements of the albergues and pilgrim office are concerned.

But one also needs to enter Spain to start the Camino. That can carry additional requirements which may vary by country. There may be different, additional requirements for people from some countries to be granted entry into Spain. I've read in these forums about people needing to show return tickets and or accommodation bookings. As per posts #7 and #9 in this thread, it appears that South Africans need a visa to visit Spain and to get the visa they need to show a credencial registered wit their national pilgrim association. Our experience that it is not needed in Canada, ther US, UK, France, or elsewhere isn't valid in this particular case.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Our experience that it is not needed in Canada, ther US, UK, France, or elsewhere isn't valid in this particular case.
True. But responses might have been better tailored to the specific need if the OP had stated from the start that his/her query was related specifically to a Schengen visa application rather than simply a Compostela and that the Confraternity of St James mentioned in the original post was the South African one rather than the probably better known UK one.

True. But responses might have been better tailored to the specific need if the OP had stated from the start that his/her query was related specifically to a Schengen visa application rather than simply a Compostela and that the Confraternity of St James mentioned in the original post was the South African one rather than the probably better known UK one.
I will admit that when I read CSJ in the thread title, my mind immediately went to the UK. But the confusion seems to have persisted past posts 7 and 9, and the responses may be confusing to OP and future readers, which is why I thought it worth clarifying.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Whatever about official passports, there is a value in completing the details on the inside page of the actual pilgrim passport. It helps greatly when the occasional passport is mislaid or forgotten, but it also avoids having to keep showing the national passport when registering at accommodation.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 19.48.49.png Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 19.49.27.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 19.48.49.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 19.48.49.png
    247.7 KB · Views: 3
Whatever about official passports, there is a value in completing the details on the inside page of the actual pilgrim passport. It helps greatly when the occasional passport is mislaid or forgotten, but it also avoids having to keep showing the national passport when registering at accommodation.

I'll bite.

No, you almost always -at least in Spain-show your national passport/ID

Many places (and correctly so) insist on originals and not a screenshot or copy.

Contacting the local CSJ may provide an answer but it seems a strange request from the Spanish Embassy in the RSA. Would be great if @diandlola could shed some light on it. The Spanish Embassy pages actually say this -

• For tourist or private visits, the confirmed reservation of an organized trip, or proof of accommodation, or letter of invitation from a private individual (such a letter only proves the availability of accommodation and does not release the traveller from the obligation to meet the other requirements for entry). The proof of accommodation may indicate whether it includes all or part of the traveller's living expenses.

The CSJ local's provision of a letter (as stated on their website) may be for those not on an organised trip but the only way to know is to ask for clarification as to why there is this apparent extra requirement for RSA pilgrims.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back