• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credit cards or cash?

Celi Anatrella

Time of past OR future Camino
2018, 2019, 2021 and planning… God willing.
Are credit cards accepted in most albergues in the Camino del Norte or cash required? What about for restaurants? Thank you kindly!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can not say as per 2023, but in 2017 I always paid the albergues and small bars/shops with cash. When I stayed in hotels in larger cities - Burgos or Leon then MC was always accepted.
Hopefully some one will give you and update for 2023. But may I suggest carry both. Cheers

U
Are credit cards accepted in most albergues in the Camino del Norte or cash required? What about for restaurants? Thank you kindly!
You will certainly need some cash for some places but there is huge growth in card payment in Spain. I go there a lot and am increasingly using card on 95% of transactions urban and or rural. Obv. the caminos are quite rural by their nature so defo some Euro, as some restaurants will still only offer a cash settlement, and I guess maybe some of the cheaper accommodation too.

If you search someone recently on Camino pretty much made the above point.

In summary the picture has changed hugely in recent times. Very much on the cashless journey in many countries! It’s a mindset issue too. I virtually never carry cash nowadays but of course need it now and again. My local pub had an issue yesterday where the card readers werent’t working and the whole place went into meltdown with mass queues at the ATMs!!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Norte last October.
You can pay with your card almost everywhere (cafés, restaurants, hotels). Pretty much the only places that did not accept cards were the xunta albergues in Galicia and a couple of small albergues along the way. I'd suggest carrying about 50 euros in cash, and when you are running out, withdrawing another 50 or so from an ATM.
Michal.don

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In October ‘23 one (ATM) bank in Spain charged 6.5 percent plus 5 E to withdraw money from its ATM in Euros. I asked for Euros. If your country is operating in Euros then it is not a issue. But if you are coming with A non Euro country, you are really better off using your CCs and getting a better conversion rate from your credit card, especially ones with no conversion fees.

We stayed at private albergues, pensions, Casa Rurals, a monastery, and a few hotels. They all took Visa/Mastercard.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please do read what I write. I wrote that 'ideally' it is a cash economy as there are so many small enterprises that prefer it. And I didn't write Spain, this is about the Camino.
There are recent first hand Camino reports on here who say how much they have used cards and not cash! You can largely do without cash on >95% of occasions in Spain and that includes the Camino. Just read post 4!

Last edited:
In October ‘23 one (ATM) bank in Spain charged 6.5 percent plus 5 E to withdraw money from its ATM in Euros. I asked for Euros. If your country is operating in Euros then it is not a issue. But if you are coming with A non Euro country, you are really better off using your CCs and getting a better conversion rate from your credit card, especially ones with no conversion fees.
What bank?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Santander
Thank you. I am a UK debit cardholder and yes Santander seem to be most expensive even for me and have been at €7 for while though most high street banks now coming in at €6. A few regional banks at at €0 for me. The only ‘go to’ for me is Deutsche Bank who are also at €0 for me and possibly you but only really service major towns and cities. Spain is one of of worst countries for fees sadly!

I know nothing the 6.5 % even when you convert at euros/bank rate rather than USD/their rate! That new news thank you !

There are recent first hand Camino reports on here who say how much they have used cards and not cash! You can largely do without cash on >95% of occasions in Spain and that includes the Camino. Just read post 4!

You do understand what the word "ideally" means?

Look - you are in a small village on Camino and eat with another in the bar. You give the owner a 20€ note. She goes to her bread supplier and pays him with that note. The baker cycles over to the smallholding where he buys his butter and pays what is owed with the 20€ note. She walks into the village and pays her cobbler the 20€ owed for the shoe repairs. He walks over to the barber and hands over the 20€ note to pay what is owed for the last two haircuts. The barber walks into the same bar with his wife, has a meal for two, and pays with the 20€ note.
The same 20€ note - and you are probably still sitting there!

Do you understand now how cash works in small communities? Sure, we all have cards and can use machines and tap and go - but IDEALLY in small economies on Camino, if you want them to thrive, cash is preferable.
Finally - every time you use a card with a tiny Camino business they have to pay 5 to 7.5% !!

Last edited:
Please do read what I write. I wrote that 'ideally' it is a cash economy as there are so many small enterprises that prefer it. And I didn't write Spain, this is about the Camino.

I think that @David meant "ideally” for the proprietors of small businesses who must absorb the cost of credit card fees.

€83,-
We have just finished the Camino del Norte from Irún and we come from an non-€ country and took out money from ATMs where we would not be charged fees nor conversion fee.

We definitely needed cash to pay for some albergues both public and private - even when we booked one on booking.com, we had to pay cash when we arrived as they didnt take card.

In saying that, we used our card a lot to pay where we could, even for coffees at bars which was only a couple of € or supermarkets etc... I was very pleasantly suprised by how widely available card payment was - it was generally available more so than not.

In the UK I never carry cash anymore; in Spain I always carry cash. Spain is different. Yes, Spain has shifted further away from cash to card BUT cash is still preferred. I often pay a restaurant bill by card but will leave a cash tip. For me, a coffee or a small beer - always in cash.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the UK I never carry cash anymore; in Spain I always carry cash. Spain is different. Yes, Spain has shifted further away from cash to card BUT cash is still preferred. I often pay a restaurant bill by card but will leave a cash tip. For me, a coffee or a small beer - always in cash.
Is cash or card preferred in UK?

@David 's exposition above is rather exquisite. Another way of looking at this is that in the same time-frame and with the same number of transactions the Banks and Credit Card companies have extracted some €6 from the process at an average transaction fee of 6% and there is but €14 of value left to the community.

The Bible, and probably several other reliable sources, tell us to pay a workman his due and we all know how one person in particular regarded the money merchants. My view? Sod convenience; pay cash.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is cash or card preferred in UK?
Good question. I would say that in the UK contactless is now expected except in smaller coffee shops and bars (independents?) where they are still happy to see cash. The landlord in my local says he was 20% card and 80% cash before the pandemic, now 80/20. (Sample size = 1). I have not seen the same shift in Spain which IMHO has a different attitude to cash and cards.
Of course both countries have seen an enormous shift to card but I see the Spanish as being more reluctant. I don’t know but I suspect that Spain does not have the big chains that monopolise coffee shops, bars, restaurants and hotels to the same extent as we have them in the UK.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good question. I would say that in the UK contactless is now expected except in smaller coffee shops and bars (independents?) where they are still happy to see cash. The landlord in my local says he was 20% card and 80% cash before the pandemic, now 80/20. (Sample size = 1). I have not seen the same shift in Spain which IMHO has a different attitude to cash and cards.
Of course both countries have seen an enormous shift to card but I see the Spanish as being more reluctant. I don’t know but I suspect that Spain does not have the big chains that monopolise coffee shops, bars, restaurants and hotels to the same extent as we have them in the UK.
Thank you! I was in Wetherspoons yesterday and the card payment system went down (and also payment via app) and all hell broke loose with a good old 50 strong conga down to the ATM. But yes agree with your UK synopsis but I see very similar in Spain too and have spent half of the last three years there on both urban and rural settings.

I know that the number of credit card and debit cards per person and spend is quite similar UK and Spain ( though Uk is a big higher in each case) though of course ‘like for like’ comparisons are difficult and need loads of caveating!!

Ironically just about to board a flight to Germany where you do need to carry cash as lots of the cheaper places don’t take card! Opposite of Spain and UK!

Last edited:
Thank you! I was in Wetherspoons yesterday and the card payment system went down (and also payment via app) and all hell broke loose with a good old 50 strong conga down to the ATM. But yes agree with your UK synopsis but I see very similar in Spain too and have spent half of the last three years there on both urban and rural settings.

I know that the number of credit card and debit cards per person and spend is quite similar UK and Spain ( though Uk is a big higher in each case) though of course ‘like for like’ comparisons are difficult and need loads of caveating!!

Ironically just about to board a flight to Germany where you do need to carry cash as lots of the cheaper places don’t take card! Opposite of Spain and UK!
Interesting example. I don’t know of any pub chain in Spain that has the same heft as Weatherspoons.
Anyway, sounds like we have both spent a lot of time in Spain but have come to different conclusions. And that’s totally fine!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Interesting example. I don’t know of any pub chain in Spain that has the same heft as Weatherspoons.
Anyway, sounds like we have both spent a lot of time in Spain but have come to different conclusions. And that’s totally fine!
Indeed and agreed… thank you! Definitely not a spoons equivalent in Spain tho decent beer and wine there can come in at very decent prices and I settle for that!

Do you understand now how cash works in small communities?
Personally, extremely well. And historically you were correct. Pre COVID, small town's in Norway used a lot of cash. Last year, I took just €200 (in kroner) with me, 4 weeks later I eventually paid part of a large bill with the remaining 170. Nobody wanted cash. ( I didn't meet any criminals...).
Spain WAS a cash society. But the convenience of contactless payment for all parties is undeniable. And CC aside, I was told by a cafe owner three weeks ago ( on the Primitivo) that the fee's are often less than cash handling fees for a business. ( Varies by bank - I asked). He said he expects it to simplify his paperwork long term too. On the grounds that his (major?) suppliers deliver, ( he took two deliveries while I was there, no cash changed hands) , I suspect that many of his bills are paid electronically, as even tech resistance people like I do. Nope, didn't think to ask!

Spain is changing, very, very rapidly. And yes, credit card fees bite. But they're also convenient for both sides. Hence why many smaller outlets are starting to take them. Sometimes with a minimum spend limit. Win/win
Many of us actually use international debit cards, not credit, which for all concerned are often better still.
I'm with @TravellingMan22 on this one.
You do you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hadn't thought of fees associated with dealing with cash.
Not only fees, but also the time and labour. Handling the cash, making change, washing hands, counting cash, keeping a cash float, securing the cash register, delivering it safely to the bank after hours, etc.

As @Peterexpatkiwi said (while I was typing)...
Cash is actually extremely time consuming, and hence expensive in its own right

If we're being honest, many small businesses across the world stay afloat by 'setting aside'
a percentage off the top of sales... but none are going to admit to it in public! While the cafe owner may be telling you he prefers CC, he almost certainly is thinking to himself, "I hope this fine gentleman pays with cash!"...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A short aside: the same chap also told me that for transactions €30 and over, BY LAW in Spain, all businesses MUST accept another form of payment, whether it be CC , Debit card or mobile ph app. (Presumably Bank Transfer too)
Probably why some thread’s here have quoted outlets with said card minimum .

Not only fees, but also the time and labour. Handling the cash, making change, washing hands, counting cash, keeping a cash float, securing the cash register, delivering it safely to the bank after hours, etc.

In the USA, many businesses are now charging a 3 percent fee to the customer to the amount charged to offset the fee they pay to the CC company.

A short aside: the same chap also told me that for transactions €30 and over, BY LAW in Spain, all businesses MUST accept another form of payment, whether it be CC , Debit card or mobile ph app. (Presumably Bank Transfer too)
Probably why some thread’s here have quoted outlets with said card minimum .
Thank you for your invaluable thoughts. I not seen the ‘minimum sign’ post Covid in over a year in Spain. That said I have only debit cards not credit and no idea how that works as it’s not my world. I have overwhelmingly noticed the ability to pay even a €2 bill by cash offered after a casual chat with bar person who seems fine. No one seems remotely bothered. i travel mainly alone so sit at bar and tend to chat to bar person about football so I am sure he/she would say if had preference!

I have never a business in UK or a Spain so no ideas of business banking fees tbh.and the costs of processing cash v digital. I guess cashless reduces staff theft which I know is a big issue in UK and delivers better productivity, and is more hygienic!! As you say there is a lot more to it than that!

Personally thing! I just don’t use cash anymore apart from many a couple of times a month!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for your invaluable thoughts. I not seen the ‘minimum sign’ post Covid in over a year in Spain. That said I have only debit cards not credit and no idea how that works as it’s not my world. I have overwhelmingly noticed the ability to pay even a €2 bill by cash offered after a casual chat with bar person who seems fine. No one seems remotely bothered. i travel mainly alone so sit at bar and tend to chat to bar person about football so I am sure he/she would say if had preference!

I have never a business in UK or a Spain so no ideas of business banking fees tbh.and the costs of processing cash v digital. I guess cashless reduces staff theft which I know is a big issue in UK and d more hygienic!! As you say there is a lot more to it than that!

Personally thing! I just don’t use cash anymore apart from many a couple of times a month!
I have seen minimum signs in Madrid and Oviedo and many small towns in Asturias this year. For example one place was a minimum €9 but 2 beers and something to eat was only €6. So if you're only stopping for a drink or a snack, you really need cash. Only met one or two that didn't take cards at all.

My credit union (similar to a bank) refunded all the ATM fees in Spain, some of which were 6-7 euros. OP might want to check to see if their bank does the same. I preferred using cash (on the CF) with the exceptions being transportation and lodging that were booked online.

I, too saw a couple of signs specifying a €10 minimum spend on the Primitivo last month. Also didn't question which .
So if you're only stopping for a drink or a snack, you really need cash

I agree completely.
I'm certainly not suggesting for a moment that we shouldn't carry cash. However the need to carry significant sums is greatly reduced, to the benefit of many, and as I commented on a separate thread, on my recent 2 week Camino I actually only spent €200 , part of which (I think roughly €50) I actually gave to fellow pilgrims for my share of various bills.

I saw several signs in bars on the Lana this year, specifying a minimum card payment of €10-15. I didn't ask whether it applied to both credit and debit cards.
Sure not saying they don’t exist and that you shouldn’t carry cash.. that would be crazy. Just trying to establish rate of change and I did see a figure of 25% quarter on quarter growth of Spain’s cashless economy during and post Covid

Ironically just checked into a hostel that was totally cashless, and the forms were all online too via iPad, and refused payments in cash. Sadly it is in Germany so it spoilt the moment! !

In the USA, many businesses are now charging a 3 percent fee to the customer to the amount charged to offset the fee they pay to the CC company.
See that periodically in UK too! That’s said I don’t think that is legal in EU… purchases made in EU that is not EU issued cards!

For Those with nothing better to do on a Thursday morning, Thursday night or Friday morning (wherever you are) this offers some easy reading!

Last edited:

Don't forget that cash is invisible .. I am not even suggesting that cash is syphoned off before going into the accounts and then having to pay tax on it, not at all, that would never happen

I know when I've booked car hire in Chania (Crete) I got a discount for paying in cash and I've also been asked by small businesses to pay a €3 fee (to cover the cost of the transfer) when making a transfer from a bank account with a different bank.

A few years ago I handed over my card in a small restaurant on Camino for payment as the payment machine was over by the till.
It was cloned and used to buy things in Spain - my bank repaid me and replaced my card.

I prefer cash, wherever possible, but if I do have to pay by card I now stand right next to it.

If you are a card user and don't carry cash do take a small portable generator with you in case the power goes down ... 😂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A few years ago I handed over my card in a small restaurant on Camino for payment as the payment machine was over by the till.
It was cloned and used to buy things in Spain - my bank repaid me and replaced my card.

I prefer cash, wherever possible, but if I do have to pay by card I now stand right next to it.

If you are a card user and don't carry cash do take a small portable generator with you in case the power goes down ... 😂
If your app allows it you can freeze your card after purchase or atm withdrawal. Not foolproof of course but it can help.

Someone bought a new kitchen at Home Depot in Carson City, NV on my card whilst I was asleep in Spain despite me never having been there!

Of course when you use the card next, you may have forgotten to unfreeze it!

This should be made obligatory reading for discussions about payment methods in Spain ...! Here's an interesting quote (and I do hope they are correct, I did not bother to check it in another source):

Long before the pandemic, a massive crackdown in Spain on all types of money laundering and tax evasion, and even hitherto 'legal' tax avoidance, meant cash came under rigorous scrutiny – legislation passed almost exactly three years ago paved the way for today's ever-growing panorama of people walking around with empty purses when shopping.
Royal Decree, or Bill of Law number 19/2018, of November 23, covering payment services and other urgent measures pertaining to financial matters, states that if the sum payable is less than €30, establishments do have the right to require cash-only payments.
But once the amount reaches €30, all traders are obliged by law to offer other payment options besides notes and coins – which can include debit or credit cards, cash cards, mobile phone applications, or even bank transfers depending upon the type of business.

Last edited:
See that periodically in UK too! That’s said I don’t think that is legal in EU… purchases made in EU that is not EU issued cards!

Yes and no. Surcharge fees for payment by credit card or by debit card are not allowed for traders in the EU and hence also not allowed in Spain. It is part of the consumer protection rights for consumers in the EU. There are of course merchants who may do it nevertheless just as there are of course merchants who may not declare cash income to the tax office - which is a major reason when you are offered a discount for cash payments.

I don't recall that I have ever been charged for payment by debit card. For payment by credit card, yes. By Ryanair in particular 😆 but that is in the past, they no longer do it. Credit cards are still not as common in the EU as in some other countries. Next to every EU citizen has a bank account and a debit card but many don't have a credit card and those who have one don't use it a lot. I use my credit cards only for online purchases and on rare occasions like hiring a car when abroad.

The cost for payment by debit card for the merchant: around 0,2% of the sum paid, i.e. 2 cents for a purchase of €10 and 10 cents for a purchase of €50.

Surcharges: fees for the use of cards
Traders in the EU are not allowed to charge you extra for using your credit or debit card. The only exceptions to this rule are American Express/Diners Club cards and business or corporate credit cards, where your employer is billed instead of you. If you use these cards, you may still be charged a fee but the fee can't be more than what it actually costs the trader to process your payment.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In France it is illegal not to offer a cash payment option on any purchases - at all outlets and businesses. I wish it were so in England.
Yes, it was in the news recently because shops in France that are open on Sunday had started to refuse cash. The French National Bank and other organisations reminded them and the general public that retailers must accept coins and banknotes "every day, including Sundays, and this must also be done at events such as festivals and sporting events".

However, we (me included) are losing sight of the question asked by the OP: It's not whether cash is accepted on the Camino del Norte, or elsewhere in the world for that matter. It is whether cash is required or whether credit cards are accepted in albergues and restaurants on the Camino del Norte. 😇

You can pay with your card almost everywhere (cafés, restaurants, hotels). Pretty much the only places that did not accept cards were the xunta albergues in Galicia and a couple of small albergues along the way. I'd suggest carrying about 50 euros in cash, and when you are running out, withdrawing another 50 or so from an ATM.
Thank you for a hands on report about the recent / current situation on the Camino del Norte! In your experience, did you easily find an ATM when you needed one?

I am just curious. I've reading around a bit and was reminded of the fact that at least in some European countries, bank branches are closing down in increasing numbers and even ATMs are disappearing and are more and more concentrated in specific locations. I don't know whether this applies for Spain (yet).

Thank you for a hands on report about the recent / current situation on the Camino del Norte! In your experience, did you easily find an ATM when you needed one?
Yes. I mean, there were probably some days when I did not walk past an ATM, but pretty much any reasonably sized town had one. So if you don't start looking for an ATM with the last ten or twenty euros in your pocket, I think you should be fine :)
Michal.don

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I am just curious. I've reading around a bit and was reminded of the fact that at least in some European countries, bank branches are closing down in increasing numbers and even ATMs are disappearing and are more and more concentrated in specific locations. I don't know whether this applies for Spain (yet).
Certainly in UK banks are closing, or reducing hours, but not really noticed any reductions in ATMs. That may happen of course as UK is overwhelmingly contactless it seems and getting cash out quite a rare event for me! In fact last time I went into a bank was to pay some cash in had taken out two weeks prior and paid back in as not used.

Onto Spain where I have probably spent half of the last three years. Countrywide, ATMs seem everywhere and contactless is massive there. Virtually never get cash out, and it all seems very normal and routine until you go somewhere different.

Currently in Germany (I come here a lot but usually only for a few days so my view is far less definate than Spain where I spend long periods) and still find quite a few places that don’t accept cards. Admittedly they are at the lower end of the market (bars/ restaurants) where I tend to frequent! It may be me but big bank branches with ATMs attached seem less here. I tend to have to seek out an ATM whereas in UK/Spain they just appear. I needed to find an ATM yesterday morning. Whilst (for European card holders) many banks don’t change fees for ATM withdrawal they do seem to have a very significant amount of the ‘fee charging’ standalone type of ATMs. That said there are many standalone ATMs such as the one yesterday in a supermarket that look like ‘fee guzzlers’ but don’t charge a fee as they belong to a bank (in this case, Sparkasse). I worked with a credit card company on a project about 25 years ago and the whole card payment thing in Germany and France seemed very different to the UK in that a lot less people had cards.
Looked in wallet just now and carrying €30 in notes and a pocket full of coins. I most admit that they all look so grubby and positively historic.

Last edited:
Cash is King in Spain, many places won't process a card payment if it is under €10, just go to the cash point and top up every few days.

Cash is King in Spain, many places won't process a card payment if it is under €10, just go to the cash point and top up every few days.
It really isn’t anymore!!! It changed significantly post Covid! Yoh need some cash yes but card is king for consumers!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Interesting thread, and thought it’s a bit off-topic, as @Kathar1na notes above, the sidebar question about whether we should pay in cash when it’s an option very much depends on your view about taxation.

Others have pointed out how small business owners frequently prefer cash because then the money just goes into the cash register and is never reported as income. Now that the law requires businesses to accept cards on payments above 30€, that still leaves us with the option of taking the cash option — which is frequently sweetened by the owner saying that you will get a cheaper price on your purchase if you use cash. That may be because the owner is passing on the CC fees to you, but it is also likely that the owner is not going to report the income.

I walked on the Norte a few years ago with a law professor from Madrid who was always insistent that the business give him a receipt, no matter whether the transaction was card or cash, because he had a good idea about the amount of tax evasion going on. Frequently that request was met with a lot of resistance.

Something for us to think about when we are spending our money in Spain!

And p.s. Spanish law now prohibits cash transactions over 1,000 €.

Interesting thread, and thought it’s a bit off-topic, as @Kathar1na notes above, the sidebar question about whether we should pay in cash when it’s an option very much depends on your view about taxation.

Others have pointed out how small business owners frequently prefer cash because then the money just goes into the cash register and is never reported as income. Now that the law requires businesses to accept cards on payments above 30€, that still leaves us with the option of taking the cash option — which is frequently sweetened by the owner saying that you will get a cheaper price on your purchase if you use cash. That may be because the owner is passing on the CC fees to you, but it is also likely that the owner is not going to report the income.

I walked on the Norte a few years ago with a law professor from Madrid who was always insistent that the business give him a receipt, no matter whether the transaction was card or cash, because he had a good idea about the amount of tax evasion going on. Frequently that request was met with a lot of resistance.

Something for us to think about when we are spending our money in Spain!

And p.s. Spanish law now prohibits cash transactions over 1,000 €.
On reflection I think in many ways you are going to continue your normal ‘at home’ behaviour as to whether you use cash or not. I am currently in a country (Germany) where a fair few places don’t take cash, It’s feels really weird, and at a bar last night, the bar maid told me straight away that i need cash and most tourists assume card, and have to go find an ATM. Thankfully ATM fees seem rare!

For the last year or so I have been in country’s where nearly everywhere takes contactless. (Australia, UK and Spain), so that becomes thre norm! I guess if you still use cash on your home life you are more likely to continue when on Camino? It effectively becomes the default where’s even 5 years ago cash may have been the default!

I assume if the vendor takes card the they are happy to do so. Of course if there is a big discount for cash I am all ears!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.