• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling The Francigena

Jopoke

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2015
Lisbon to Santigo May 2016
Porto coastal route to Santiago Oct 2016
Has anyone cycled from Canterbury to Bridisi? Myself and my partner are going to do it in late August, and as much research I've done, it would be nice to hear from someone who has done it.
I'd like to know things like.. .. is accomadation easy to come by? How are the rd's? How hard is it? How hard is it going up St Bernard's Pass. Are there sign posts.
I've downloaded maps on Kamoot and I have a list of accommodation, but I don't know if you can turn up without booking. Sorry I have so many questions.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Jopoke Welcome to this bit of the Forum!

You might try contacting Paulo Seth. He is experienced and committed to helping others.

And see this

I have not cycled, but I have walked from Canterbury to Santa Maria de Leuca.

A general comment - particularly in France and Switzerland there IS accommodation but you should contact places the day before. Pilgrims are few and they will. not be waiting for you! They may see pilgrims once a week or less.

Once you get into Italy there is much more accomodation, in parishes etc, but again worth contacting the day before.

After Rome the volume of pilgrims diminishes drastically and so again, worth contacting the day before.

I walked from Canterbury to Thessaloniki, rarely booking more than one day ahead, NEVER camping, though stayed occasionally at a campsite, and I never failed to find a roof. I didn't always find a physical bed!

People on this forum will be happy to answer any more specific questions, as best they can.
Tim

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

You might try contacting Paulo Seth. He is experienced and committed to helping others.

A general comment - particularly in France and Switzerland there IS accommodation but you should contact places the day before. Pilgrims are few and they will. not be waiting for you! They may see pilgrims once a week or less.

Once you get into Italy there is much more accomodation, in parishes etc, but again worth contacting the day before.

After Rome the volume of pilgrims diminishes drastically and so again, worth contacting the day before.

I walked from Canterbury to Thessaloniki, rarely booking more than one day ahead, NEVER camping, though stayed occasionally at a campsite, and I never failed to find a roof. I didn't always find a physical bed!

People on this forum will be happy to answer any more specific questions, as best they can.
Tim
Oh and see this also @Jopoke - done by Paulo

I have walked the VF as far as northern Italy. I did camp a fair amount in France and Switzerland as it gave more options and reduced cost - but on a bike there is generally more ease in going an extra 10km than on foot to find suitable accommodation at a reasonable price. I only wild camped once after Reims in the champagne vineyards as it was nearly vendage and everywhere was full - otherwise I found somewhere.
Tourism offices often have lists too if you are getting stuck finding rooms available - eg at Dampirerre the place that offered pilgrim accommodation was unavailable but the tourist office found me somewhere in next village for €30 including dinner and breakfast that wasn't on any list I had at the time. And having just finished a little walked camino route in Western France, I truly love the folks in tourist offices, they were so helpful!
But being creative, flexible and willing to go off piste is helpful to find accommodation.

I have walked the VF as far as northern Italy. I did camp a fair amount in France and Switzerland as it gave more options and reduced cost - but on a bike there is generally more ease in going an extra 10km than on foot to find suitable accommodation at a reasonable price. I only wild camped once after Reims in the champagne vineyards as it was nearly vendage and everywhere was full - otherwise I found somewhere.
Tourism offices often have lists too if you are getting stuck finding rooms available - eg at Dampirerre the place that offered pilgrim accommodation was unavailable but the tourist office found me somewhere in next village for €30 including dinner and breakfast that wasn't on any list I had at the time. And having just finished a little walked camino route in Western France, I truly love the folks in tourist offices, they were so helpful!
But being creative, flexible and willing to go off piste is helpful to find accommodation.
Yes in France the tourist office and or the mairie never failed when I had occasion to enquire of them. And I found them universally friendly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Has anyone cycled from Canterbury to Bridisi? Myself and my partner are going to do it in late August, and as much research I've done, it would be nice to hear from someone who has done it.
I'd like to know things like.. .. is accomadation easy to come by? How are the rd's? How hard is it? How hard is it going up St Bernard's Pass. Are there sign posts.
I've downloaded maps on Kamoot and I have a list of accommodation, but I don't know if you can turn up without booking. Sorry I have so many questions.
Check this out. There is a whole section on cycling the VF (though mainly the northern part Canterbury to Rome) . There is also an accommodation list for the VF del Sud. https://pilgrimstorome.org.uk/planning/

And see this

Tim
Thank you

Hi,
I am currently walking the VF and I have seen and spoken to numerous cyclists along the way.
The one common thread in conversations was/is that some accommodations have no room for storage of bicycles.
Just food for thought...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back