• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling Via de Plata - slow Camino!

hecate105

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
'09 Portuguese Estellas '14 Aurelia '16 St Davids '17 Via Augusta/V dl P. '18/'19 Michael Mary Way
A Welshman, an Englishwoman, a Thai lady and two American ladies will no doubt enter a bar in Cadiz. Then they will attempt to cycle to Santiago de Compostela. No doubt the joke will be on them....
The uk couple (us) will set off from Devon on the 2nd april (being fools anyway) to catch the Santander ferry. Then we will hire a van to drive down to Cadiz, we really don't want to fly... There we will meet the rest of the crew who will have cycled over from Malaga airport to Cadiz.
If anyone else is en route during April/May I hope we bump into you (not literally!)
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds like a great plan! The VdlP certainly lends itself to cycling, at least until Galicia ;-) Buen Camino to all of you, SY

I start the VDLP around April 5th from Seville, you will probably be ahead of me by then!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Davey, i doubt it... not only are we slow, but we will wait at Cadiz for the others to turn up - then probably leave on the 5th too! So we will be behind you - i assume you are walking? i wonder how long before we catch you up!
Be sure to flag us down - or stop if you see a bar with a ramshackle collection of bikes outside...
We'll look out for a Brit in boots!

I will be cycling from Sevilla, but not leaving Sevilla till April 26.
Are you going Via Astorga to connect with Fances or via Ourense on the Sanabres?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We think Ourense, mostly because there are two really good gardens to visit - Paco de Oca (!)and a Camillia garden - on that route! We are gardeners so its hard to resist.
How about you?

o wow, that sounds great!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are going Via Astorga and the Frances, as we want to experience both the quiet remoteness of the VDLP and the super hecticness of the Frances.
Although the gardens sound interesting.

Buen camino.

I think our companions might do the same when we get there - especially after travelling with the bickering brit couple...(us!)

A Welshman, an Englishwoman, a Thai lady and two American ladies will no doubt enter a bar in Cadiz. Then they will attempt to cycle to Santiago de Compostela. No doubt the joke will be on them....
The uk couple (us) will set off from Devon on the 2nd april (being fools anyway) to catch the Santander ferry. Then we will hire a van to drive down to Cadiz, we really don't want to fly... There we will meet the rest of the crew who will have cycled over from Malaga airport to Cadiz.
If anyone else is en route during April/May I hope we bump into you (not literally!)
Buen Camino!
See you in Cadiz :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yay! and here's one of the American ladies.... Katiefar :D
We have just spent the afternoon loading our panniers and strapping on hat, crocs and other sundry items we can't seem to do without. Despite that - i thought we looked pretty streamlined...;) We will have a ride tomorrow (about 30km and mostly flat...!) and see how we get on.... Only two weeks to go - I'm SO excited! :mad::eek::p:D
(oh - and i just found the emoticons the other day - have they really been there all along...!)

Well, just got back from cycling the VdlP. I don't know if we saw you Davey? But we certainly took advantage of the thermal springs at Ourense, thank you Bradypus. We met lots of lovely pilgrims, many of who laughed at our ability to cycle as slow as the walkers - but believe me it is an art! The VdlP (and the Via Augusta from Cadiz) is a truly beautiful route, tough and at times i was found sobbing under a bush, but we got there in the end, despite the heat in the south, the snow and hail in the north and the exceptional wines...
The Spanish were helpful and patient with our polyglot version of their language (english, american english, thai and we were joined often by a german - which created a situation in which we spoke a garbled mishmash of all - with a handful of french for good measure...) the food was always good and hearty and the wines were quite amazing. Camping in the vines whilst drinking a bottle made from said vines is luscious!
Our fellow pilgrims were great and included a guy from Malaga who had taken 4 years to complete his camino, a mad kiwi, an even madder Corkman, many frenchpersons, Manuela, Else, the lovely Socrates and his Italian mate - who had walked a camino for Denise Thiem and was so pleased we had a shell for her...
A huge thank you to all who made our camino a fantastic experience - and most of all to our companions en route Sheri (who will return) Katey - the accidental pilgrim - still battling back thru Portugal, and Sira - our Thai puppetmaster! and of course not forgetting our Hamburgers Jurgen and Maggy, it was a blast!!

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back