• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Day 42 - Guidance - Weather & Clothing

jostony

Camino del Vino
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portugues 2017
Primitivo 2019
Countdown to CF in May/June and I continue to fret on back pack weight and how much clothing to take or leave. I would welcome please some guidance on likely weather for this time of year and advice on clothing that I am planning to take, should include or can consider leaving at home. Backpack weight so far = 7.8kg (17.1 pounds) = 9.7% body weight - not including water/food.

Ideally wanted backpack at 7kg (15.4 pounds) - pre water

DAY WEAR CLOTHES
32g - Beanie - Rab Powertstretch
1429g - Boots - Meindl Gomera GTX
256g - Mid-layer - Rab Mens Boreas Pull-On
166g - Hat Tilley - TH5 Hemp
244g - Shirt - L/Sleeve - Ayacucho Zip Top
150g - Shirt - S/Sleeve T – merino Icebreaker - Mens Tech T Lite SS Aoraki
31g - Sock Liners - Bridgedale - Coolmax Liner
78g - Socks - Bridgedale - Wool Fusion Trekker (midweight)
354g - Trousers - long - Montane - Terra Pants
92g - Underwear - Ex-officio - Give-N-Go Boxer brief

BACK PACK CLOTHES
34g - Buff - High UV protection
205g - Shirt - L/Sleeve - Ayacucho Altay shirt LSL AM
183g - Shirt - S/Sleeve - Jack Wolfskin - El Dorado
150g - Shirt - S/Sleeve T – merino Icebreaker - Mens Tech T Lite SS Stripe
126g - Shirt - S/Sleeve T – merino Rab - Meco 120 short sleeve Tee Maya
93g - Sock Liners - Bridgedale - Coolmax Liner (3 pairs @ 31g each)
81g - Socks - Bridgedale - Wool Fusion Trekker (midweight)
78g - Socks - Bridgedale - Wool Fusion Trekker (midweight)
330g - Trousers - North Face -M Horizon Convertible
184g - Underwear - Ex-officio - Give-N-Go Boxer brief (2 pairs @ 92g each)
587g - Waterproof Jacket - Mountain equip. - LHOTSE goretex jacket
411g - Waterproof Trousers - Berghaus - Deluge over trousers

DITHERING - DO I TAKE?
336g - Fleece - North Face - M Hadoken Full Zip
92g - Gloves - Rab -VR Tour Glove
104g - Torch - headlight - Black Diamond - Storm 160 Lumen - (+AAA x 4)
148g - Swimming Trunks / shorts

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello Jostony, reading your post made me sign up to the forum specially so I could reply to you! You certainly seem well prepared for your Camino, but for what it's worth, here's my advice: Ditch the head torch (a small hand-held one is sufficient for most needs, or you could simply use the one on your phone if you're bringing one); also the swimming trunks (if you're walking to Finisterra you can just buy some cheaply there); just two short-sleeve shirts plus the long-sleeve; just one pair of trousers and one of shorts; you'll also need some flip-flops for the shower and some walking sandals/lighter walking shoes to swap into on hotter days, or if you get blisters; also your maps and guides and journal will add quite a bit of weight on top of what you've listed, not to mention toothpaste, soap, first-aid essentials etc. A waterproof trousers and jacket will be too hot in a summer downpour. If you can bear to leave them and take a poncho instead, you'll save lots of pack weight and feel more comfortable in the rain. I'd definitely bring the fleece, because you'll feel colder in the evenings after a strenuous day's walk and some nights in the mountain villages can be chilly.
Let the countdown continue, and buen camino!

Hi Jostony,

I completed the Camino last Sep/Oct and experienced everything from scorchio, through cool and windy, to cold and torrential rain. This is only my tuppence worth so please take it or leave it as you please...

I planned to walk in long trousers and zip off the legs as required; after sweltering on the first day I walked in shorts, regardless of the weather, and just had long trousers in the evening. I also had planned to walk in a merino t shirt, with long sleeve shirt on top, topped off by either windshirt or waterproof jacket. In reality, I only used the merino t shirt, with the pertex windshirt occasionally, so only needed a single long sleeved shirt for the evening. So what - a couple of merino t shirts (one for walking, one for the evening whilst the other dries), a windshirt (or Boreas pull on) or rain jacket will be plenty if you walk quickly enough to keep warm.

Your waterproof gear looks a little bombproof (aka heavy) so you might consider something a little lighter (like pertex trousers) as after an hour walking in the rain with a pack you are likely to be soaked from the inside out. Many folks swear by the poncho but that is an entirely different argument well covered in this forum. I took a small folding umbrella (8 euros if I remember correctly) which I cobbled onto my pack with a rubber coated wire wrap on the shoulder strap and one through the haul loop on my pack - kept hands free for my walking poles. It kept the worst of the rain off my head and shoulders and gave me a psychological boost when walking in the dreary need-a-coat but-it-is too-humid sort of days. I expected derision but when the weather turned poor there were many 'why didn't I think of that?' conversations with other pilgrims. I took some short Event gaiters which were brilliant in keeping muck and stones out of the boots on wet days (and kept socks cleaner and therefore easier to wash out).

I kept to 3 pairs of socks and underwear so I could walk 2 days between doing my laundry - not normally a problem to wash through socks, pants and t-shirt each day but the problem was in getting them dry on wet days.

I took a PHD very lightweight down jacket which was a lifesaver on several evenings (don't forget that some nightstops are are reasonable altitude so chilly) and especially so if I had a long day and was therefore feeling tired and easily chilled by the time I got off the camino (and had to cope with a cold shower if I was late into an albergue...). A fleece or similar would therefore always stay in my pack regardless of the time of year. Buffs are brilliant and when folded several times make a passable blindfold to keep those early-morning headlamp-flashers from starting your day badly :) On that topic, a very small headlight (i used Petzl E-lite) is v handy for late trips to the loo or very early starts to avoid crowds, weather etc. I took a pair of micro fleece stretch gloves from the Poundshop and they weigh virtually nothing.

You don't mention a dry bag for your spare clothes but it is a must - nothing worse than having to change into soggy gear after a nice hot shower...

If you really can't bear to cut down your clothes, don't worry - Pamplona has a good post office from which you can send home the kit you have then decided is no longer necessary. Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Jostony, reading your post made me sign up to the forum specially so I could reply to you! You certainly seem well prepared for your Camino, but for what it's worth, here's my advice: Ditch the head torch (a small hand-held one is sufficient for most needs, or you could simply use the one on your phone if you're bringing one); also the swimming trunks (if you're walking to Finisterra you can just buy some cheaply there); just two short-sleeve shirts plus the long-sleeve; just one pair of trousers and one of shorts; you'll also need some flip-flops for the shower and some walking sandals/lighter walking shoes to swap into on hotter days, or if you get blisters; also your maps and guides and journal will add quite a bit of weight on top of what you've listed, not to mention toothpaste, soap, first-aid essentials etc. A waterproof trousers and jacket will be too hot in a summer downpour. If you can bear to leave them and take a poncho instead, you'll save lots of pack weight and feel more comfortable in the rain. I'd definitely bring the fleece, because you'll feel colder in the evenings after a strenuous day's walk and some nights in the mountain villages can be chilly.
Let the countdown continue, and buen camino!
Many thanks for taking time out to sign up just to reply to me - really appreciate it along with your value your considered and helpful advice, based on your experience.

Hi Jostony,

I completed the Camino last Sep/Oct and experienced everything from scorchio, through cool and windy, to cold and torrential rain. This is only my tuppence worth so please take it or leave it as you please...

I planned to walk in long trousers and zip off the legs as required; after sweltering on the first day I walked in shorts, regardless of the weather, and just had long trousers in the evening. I also had planned to walk in a merino t shirt, with long sleeve shirt on top, topped off by either windshirt or waterproof jacket. In reality, I only used the merino t shirt, with the pertex windshirt occasionally, so only needed a single long sleeved shirt for the evening. So what - a couple of merino t shirts (one for walking, one for the evening whilst the other dries), a windshirt (or Boreas pull on) or rain jacket will be plenty if you walk quickly enough to keep warm.

Your waterproof gear looks a little bombproof (aka heavy) so you might consider something a little lighter (like pertex trousers) as after an hour walking in the rain with a pack you are likely to be soaked from the inside out. Many folks swear by the poncho but that is an entirely different argument well covered in this forum. I took a small folding umbrella (8 euros if I remember correctly) which I cobbled onto my pack with a rubber coated wire wrap on the shoulder strap and one through the haul loop on my pack - kept hands free for my walking poles. It kept the worst of the rain off my head and shoulders and gave me a psychological boost when walking in the dreary need-a-coat but-it-is too-humid sort of days. I expected derision but when the weather turned poor there were many 'why didn't I think of that?' conversations with other pilgrims. I took some short Event gaiters which were brilliant in keeping muck and stones out of the boots on wet days (and kept socks cleaner and therefore easier to wash out).

I kept to 3 pairs of socks and underwear so I could walk 2 days between doing my laundry - not normally a problem to wash through socks, pants and t-shirt each day but the problem was in getting them dry on wet days.

I took a PHD very lightweight down jacket which was a lifesaver on several evenings (don't forget that some nightstops are are reasonable altitude so chilly) and especially so if I had a long day and was therefore feeling tired and easily chilled by the time I got off the camino (and had to cope with a cold shower if I was late into an albergue...). A fleece or similar would therefore always stay in my pack regardless of the time of year. Buffs are brilliant and when folded several times make a passable blindfold to keep those early-morning headlamp-flashers from starting your day badly :) On that topic, a very small headlight (i used Petzl E-lite) is v handy for late trips to the loo or very early starts to avoid crowds, weather etc. I took a pair of micro fleece stretch gloves from the Poundshop and they weigh virtually nothing.

You don't mention a dry bag for your spare clothes but it is a must - nothing worse than having to change into soggy gear after a nice hot shower...

If you really can't bear to cut down your clothes, don't worry - Pamplona has a good post office from which you can send home the kit you have then decided is no longer necessary. Buen camino!
Thank you very much. Really appreciate your valuable personal experience to help me weigh up decisions on gear/clothing . I think fleece is definitely going in. Gaiters were on my list and will consider what you say here. I think fleece is definitely going in.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Jostony,

Having spent so much money on quality waterproofs - I feel emotionally attached to taking them! Did you take gloves?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having spent so much money on quality waterproofs - I feel emotionally attached to taking them! Did you take gloves?
Jostony, your position on the waterproofs is understandable. But if you no longer have a receipt or otherwise can't return them, don't feel your money is wasted as they will be useful on your training walks and on any other hiking trip you take where you don't have to carry all your clothes with you every day. The trouble with packing for the Camino is that we want to cover all bases but we also want the lightest possible pack weight. To achieve this we have to leave things out, and Sod's Law says we will always regret at least one thing we left out and one thing we didn't.
It's up to you what compromises you make, and you should be assured that most pilgrims do not achieve the low pack weight you're aiming for. It's possible, but not absolutely necessary.
By the way, if you're already taking a buff and a Tilley hat, you don't need the beanie too. So that's another 32g saved!
If you're going to be staying in albergues you'll also need a sleeping bag and towel. Many people get by with just a sleeping liner, and use the blankets provided. For the towel, a light sarong plus a microfibre teatowel is the lightest and most practical option I know of.

Jostony, your position on the waterproofs is understandable. But if you no longer have a receipt or otherwise can't return them, don't feel your money is wasted as they will be useful on your training walks and on any other hiking trip you take where you don't have to carry all your clothes with you every day. The trouble with packing for the Camino is that we want to cover all bases but we also want the lightest possible pack weight. To achieve this we have to leave things out, and Sod's Law says we will always regret at least one thing we left out and one thing we didn't.
It's up to you what compromises you make, and you should be assured that most pilgrims do not achieve the low pack weight you're aiming for. It's possible, but not absolutely necessary.
By the way, if you're already taking a buff and a Tilley hat, you don't need the beanie too. So that's another 32g saved!
If you're going to be staying in albergues you'll also need a sleeping bag and towel. Many people get by with just a sleeping liner, and use the blankets provided. For the towel, a light sarong plus a microfibre teatowel is the lightest and most practical option I know of.
Thanks for guidance and ideas.

Thank you very much. Really appreciate your valuable personal experience to help me weigh up decisions on gear/clothing . I think fleece is definitely going in. Gaiters were on my list and will consider what you say here. I think fleece is definitely going in.

You're welcome to my advice but everyone is different and has different priorities. I didn't take any waterproof gloves, just the skinny stretch gloves that I kept in my down jacket pocket for evening use, but I don't get cold hands because I use a pair of hiking poles and they keep my circulation pumping.

I'd second VSB that you are unlikely to need a beanie and a tilley hat - the tilley hat is a good, adaptable choice (although I took a baseball cap instead because I prefer the shade of a cap to using sunglasses...).

And continuing on the 'we are all different' theme, I took a silk sleeping bag liner and a down sleeping bag; although another 800gms, nothing beat the feeling towards the end of October of snuggling down into my own, clean, toasty warm sleeping bag. It helped me sleep better in more ways than one - I had pre-treated both parts of my sleeping system with premethrin and had absolutely no fear of bedbugs.

We can talk 'kit' until the cows come home but that's fine as long as it isn't an excuse for avoiding other parts of our preparation, such as physical, emotional, financial, spiritual...

By the way, the things I sent home at Pamplona: notebook and pen, spork, microfibre fleece jacket, 'bum bag/fanny pack', spare water flask, second bandana. Didn't need them, didn't miss them, felt better psychologically having 'cleansed' my pack although the weight/bulk difference was very small. And the folks in the Spanish post office ' Carreras' were really patient and helpful to me, despite my incredibly limited Spanish and cringe-making efforts to mime (I found this generally went down a lot better than using Google translate :) ) Hardware I bought on the camino: camino edition Buff (black with scallop shells - very stylish) and a more robust USB charging lead for my phone - and I even managed to buy that without using Google translate!

Have a great trip - I'm already planning the Le Puy to St Jean route as a possibility for later this year....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You're welcome to my advice but everyone is different and has different priorities. I didn't take any waterproof gloves, just the skinny stretch gloves that I kept in my down jacket pocket for evening use, but I don't get cold hands because I use a pair of hiking poles and they keep my circulation pumping.

I'd second VSB that you are unlikely to need a beanie and a tilley hat - the tilley hat is a good, adaptable choice (although I took a baseball cap instead because I prefer the shade of a cap to using sunglasses...).

And continuing on the 'we are all different' theme, I took a silk sleeping bag liner and a down sleeping bag; although another 800gms, nothing beat the feeling towards the end of October of snuggling down into my own, clean, toasty warm sleeping bag. It helped me sleep better in more ways than one - I had pre-treated both parts of my sleeping system with premethrin and had absolutely no fear of bedbugs.

We can talk 'kit' until the cows come home but that's fine as long as it isn't an excuse for avoiding other parts of our preparation, such as physical, emotional, financial, spiritual...

By the way, the things I sent home at Pamplona: notebook and pen, spork, microfibre fleece jacket, 'bum bag/fanny pack', spare water flask, second bandana. Didn't need them, didn't miss them, felt better psychologically having 'cleansed' my pack although the weight/bulk difference was very small. And the folks in the Spanish post office ' Carreras' were really patient and helpful to me, despite my incredibly limited Spanish and cringe-making efforts to mime (I found this generally went down a lot better than using Google translate :) ) Hardware I bought on the camino: camino edition Buff (black with scallop shells - very stylish) and a more robust USB charging lead for my phone - and I even managed to buy that without using Google translate!

Have a great trip - I'm already planning the Le Puy to St Jean route as a possibility for later this year....
Thanks for that. Forgive me for picking your brain but in my packing list I have 3 nalgene bottles x 500ml each and weigh 106g each - will definitely need one as I have a belt pouch that I can hold it in around front with easy access. As I am increasingly getting OCD on backpack weight should I dispense with the other 2 that I planned to carry in backpack side pockets and just get a lighter plastic bottle there? I have a spork - will I need it? Beanie looks increasingly unnecessary but has been great when cold in UK training up to now. I have sleeping down bag which I will take and I have agonized and think I have decided to leave silk bag liner as that saves me 153g. Can you clarify whether you sprayed the sleeping bag with pertherin both inside and outside? Of course talking kit helps assuage my guilt at not walking enough!

Hi again - no worries on the brain picking (mine's pretty much unused so it might be worth something second hand).

One Nalgene only would be my choice, but supplement it if needed by buying a bottle of water en route and just using the cheap ( = very light) plastic bottle. I used a platypus 500ml bladder attached to my shoulder strap, with a 500ml bladder in the top of my sack. I would regularly finish with the 500ml in my pack still unused at the end of the day until about midway and then I ditched it - far better to act like a camel and drink until fit to burst when the opportunity presents than to carry an unused half kilo. By judicious planning and good fortune I never ran dry, although I did have to ask for a top up from the odd cafe when I stopped for a cafe con leche. Nalgenes are also bulky, even when empty, which is why I usually use platypus bladders.

Didn't need the spork and I forget to mention that I also ditched the folding can opener at the same time.

I took the liner because it was good to sleep in when too warm for the sleeping bag; I was just in the liner and used the open bag like a quilt draped over me - but I was still protected from bugs. I sprayed both inside and out using a can I got from Cotswold Outdoor; I also sprayed the inside of my waterproof pack cover (which I kept on my pack all the time to keep it clean, dry and to protect it from wear and light fingers finding their way into the pockets.) in the hope that if any bugs got onboard they would be dead by the time I reached the next albergue.

My top tip for training, for what it is worth: I carried my pack but filled it with bottles of water and bags of old books and set up about 120% of my planned weight. This made my sack really uncomfortable and a bit lopsided but you can bear it just for day training hikes. When I filled it with my well-balanced actual gear and set off on the camino, at only 100% weight it felt marvelous!

Best regards

HD

Hi again - no worries on the brain picking (mine's pretty much unused so it might be worth something second hand).

One Nalgene only would be my choice, but supplement it if needed by buying a bottle of water en route and just using the cheap ( = very light) plastic bottle. I used a platypus 500ml bladder attached to my shoulder strap, with a 500ml bladder in the top of my sack. I would regularly finish with the 500ml in my pack still unused at the end of the day until about midway and then I ditched it - far better to act like a camel and drink until fit to burst when the opportunity presents than to carry an unused half kilo. By judicious planning and good fortune I never ran dry, although I did have to ask for a top up from the odd cafe when I stopped for a cafe con leche. Nalgenes are also bulky, even when empty, which is why I usually use platypus bladders.

Didn't need the spork and I forget to mention that I also ditched the folding can opener at the same time.

I took the liner because it was good to sleep in when too warm for the sleeping bag; I was just in the liner and used the open bag like a quilt draped over me - but I was still protected from bugs. I sprayed both inside and out using a can I got from Cotswold Outdoor; I also sprayed the inside of my waterproof pack cover (which I kept on my pack all the time to keep it clean, dry and to protect it from wear and light fingers finding their way into the pockets.) in the hope that if any bugs got onboard they would be dead by the time I reached the next albergue.

My top tip for training, for what it is worth: I carried my pack but filled it with bottles of water and bags of old books and set up about 120% of my planned weight. This made my sack really uncomfortable and a bit lopsided but you can bear it just for day training hikes. When I filled it with my well-balanced actual gear and set off on the camino, at only 100% weight it felt marvelous!

Best regards

HD
Thanks for helpful insight. May I also ask your brain the following:
  • Did you have to spray silk bag liner as well?
  • Re light fingers comment do you mean that you kept the waterproof pack cover on all the time whilst walking or do you mean also whilst in the albergue?
  • Speaking of bugs where did you leave the back pack whilst in albergue - on floor or hanging somewhere?
  • I like the logic of carrying 120% to benefit from 100% true weight later - but not sure my decrepit knees would welcome such a fine strategy in action
  • Did you use or see need for gaiters at all?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took a silk liner and gave it to a guy with no bag and no liner the first night. It was pointless anyway.
In the end I just put my waterproof cover on every day. It was easier than fishing it out and putting it on every time. But This time I am taking a poncho and will just use that as a tucked over cover unless I am actually wearing it.
I treated my pack and my sleeping bag liberally with Permethrin before I left and never worried about bugs. Sometimes you'll be able to hang your pack not not most of the time.
I filled my bladder with as much water as I thought I would actually need every day and no more. The first 3 days that meant I filled it all the way up and sometimes ran out.
I use a ball cap because the brim holds up the rain hood when I need it and it kept the sun out of my eyes as well.
There were maybe two days when I thought gaiters would have been helpful, but I got along fine without them.

I took a silk liner and gave it to a guy with no bag and no liner the first night. It was pointless anyway.
In the end I just put my waterproof cover on every day. It was easier than fishing it out and putting it on every time. But This time I am taking a poncho and will just use that as a tucked over cover unless I am actually wearing it.
I treated my pack and my sleeping bag liberally with Permethrin before I left and never worried about bugs. Sometimes you'll be able to hang your pack not not most of the time.
I filled my bladder with as much water as I thought I would actually need every day and no more. The first 3 days that meant I filled it all the way up and sometimes ran out.
I use a ball cap because the brim holds up the rain hood when I need it and it kept the sun out of my eyes as well.
There were maybe two days when I thought gaiters would have been helpful, but I got along fine without them.
Thank you for your helpful comments. A minute ago silk bag liner was in danger of going back into my back pack and now it stays out - I could conduct a poll like the upcoming UK election but would probably end up with such divergent opinions I would end up with an undecided definitive result either way - requiring me to be bold make my own decision! I will sleep on it ....again

You know this is the WORST part! (And the most fun...strangely. I love the planning part. )
There is SO much cool gear out there! Why not take it all? (Your back and your knees and your hips and your ankles will tell you why not in the first couple of days.) There are a million tiny, useful things you can buy that weigh next to nothing unless you buy ALL of them (I know! I did!) in which case they weigh more than your pack. And you'll never use them. Or you'll use them once even though you didn't really need them just to justify having them. Personally I just left them in boxes in albuergues.
What will really happen is that most nights you won't care enough about taking a shower to wait around for the shower to be free and have hot water. You'll be too tired to deal with washing your clothes and you'll have a clean pair of socks and underwear for the morning and that will do the trick for you. You'll simply arrive in town, drop your pack on your bunk - change into your sandals and go find a bar where you can have a cold beer or a nice glass of wine and some olives while you read or chat and wait for someone to feed you your daily ration of beef and french fries.
Then you'll ankle back to the albuergue,brush your teeth, fish out your bag (and in my case my clothing stuff sack fora pillow) and slip into it and sleep HARD. (I am really looking forward to the deep, restful sleep I had on the Camino.) All that STUFF will go completely untouched.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You know this is the WORST part! (And the most fun...strangely. I love the planning part. )
There is SO much cool gear out there! Why not take it all? (Your back and your knees and your hips and your ankles will tell you why not in the first couple of days.) There are a million tiny, useful things you can buy that weigh next to nothing unless you buy ALL of them (I know! I did!) in which case they weigh more than your pack. And you'll never use them. Or you'll use them once even though you didn't really need them just to justify having them. Personally I just left them in boxes in albuergues.
What will really happen is that most nights you won't care enough about taking a shower to wait around for the shower to be free and have hot water. You'll be too tired to deal with washing your clothes and you'll have a clean pair of socks and underwear for the morning and that will do the trick for you. You'll simply arrive in town, drop your pack on your bunk - change into your sandals and go find a bar where you can have a cold beer or a nice glass of wine and some olives while you read or chat and wait for someone to feed you your daily ration of beef and french fries.
Then you'll ankle back to the albuergue,brush your teeth, fish out your bag (and in my case my clothing stuff sack fora pillow) and slip into it and sleep HARD. (I am really looking forward to the deep, restful sleep I had on the Camino.) All that STUFF will go completely untouched.
Very funny. Going into a good outdoor shop with a credit card is not good news - as you say all this fantastic gear I didn't even know existed before looks great, expensive and tempting! I also so understand the reality you are describing - as I have already had many a dream like this, like a deja-vu in a previous life I can't quite remember! My dreams don't always end well or even end- I am kept in a constant state of anxiety and aimless wandering! Living it for real will be very interesting....Although my choice of words may be colourful in May!

Ditch the waterproof pants. If your legs get wet it's no big deal.
I wouldn't bring gloves. For what?
I wouldn't bring gaiters. I mean, of what use are they? Wash off your legs when you take a shower at the albergue.
Bring the silk liner instead of the sleeping bag and bring the fleece jacket. If you get cold while inside the liner, put on the fleece and a lot of albergues have blankets anyway. You will find that fleece jacket very versatile.
Bring the torch.
Swim trunks could come in handy, I suppose, but you could always just use your shorts instead.
Don't sweat the bedbug issue so much. I never thought about them. Never worried about them and never even saw them.
One of those backpacking towels comes in handy. Mine worked great and was light and dried quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is kind of a male/female thing - the sleeping bag vs the liner. I get cold, frankly. And if I get hot I can use the bag as a blanket rather than a bag. But the liner would never have been enough. Maybe it would have been in July and August.
My phone works as a torch - the $150 head lamp thing I bought I never used. Gave it to a camping friend when I returned.
It was NEVER warm enough for swimming during my April/May walk. We went to Cadiz after the Camino and I bought a swim suit there.
I definitely used the quick drying trail towel!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think this is kind of a male/female thing - the sleeping bag vs the liner. I get cold, frankly. And if I get hot I can use the bag as a blanket rather than a bag. But the liner would never have been enough. Maybe it would have been in July and August.
My phone works as a torch - the $150 head lamp thing I bought I never used. Gave it to a camping friend when I returned.
It was NEVER warm enough for swimming during my April/May walk. We went to Cadiz after the Camino and I bought a swim suit there.
I definitely used the quick drying trail towel!
150 bucks for a head lamp?! wow....
I don't think I spent that much for all my gear on my first Camino.

I bought a head lamp, took it on 2 Caminos and never used it but it still in my backpack I blame the movie the way for head lamps. I just use my phone torch but usually rise at day light or lights on.
In May 2013 we wished we had brought gloves with us. Cold wet days trying to suck our hands up into our ponchos.
Your pack seems close to 10% just a query you quote the weight of your boots ??

I bought a head lamp, took it on 2 Caminos and never used it but it still in my backpack I blame the movie the way for head lamps. I just use my phone torch but usually rise at day light or lights on.
In May 2013 we wished we had brought gloves with us. Cold wet days trying to suck our hands up into our ponchos.
Your pack seems close to 10% just a query you quote the weight of your boots ??
Yes I will some sort of light gloves to help with Poles as hands sweat. Headlamp I am not sure is essential and will probably use torch in cheap mobile as needed. I quote boots as part of day wear as am tracking weight FOS (From skin out) to ensure day wear clothes plus backpack and water are within 20% body weight and ideally backpack can be held around 10%

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My first camino I took it all and started in Lourdes as I walked from cold and wet in to sun shine and heat I left items behind at Alburgues as gifts.
I left a 4 book series on the via Frangancia in SJPdP
And had to buy a bigger poncho there it was late May my rain pants have been invaluable in keeping socks dry they droop over my boots,
Depends how attach you are to stuff but if it becomes a burden send it a head or leave it behind.
I carried a foam bed roll one year, never again :)

Hi again,

You are getting all the advice you can eat here today - it's just up to you to choose your menu wisely...

Silk liner: sprayed inside and out just like the sleeping bag. This wasn't just to protect me on the camino - it was to protect my kit and my household when I returned. If you have ever experienced bedbugs then I think you would find this a wise precaution. I met a couple of Australian ladies who had really nasty infected bed bug bites on their legs and in creases of elbows - they looked really sore and I was glad to have taken the simple action of pre-treatment. They reckon they got them from using blankets in less-than-pristine albergues - how often do you think they wash the blankets? Do you think that every pilgrim (including mendicants) share your standard of personal hygiene and bed bugs can be found in top grade accommodation as well as in the basic ones.

Pack cover: kept it on all the time. Cost of cover ?£15, cost of pack £150. It is easier and cheaper to replace than the pack, provides protection against people dipping into your pack and also acted as a barrier against bugs and general crap.

Pack location: never on bed, usually hanging on a loop of paracord from the end of the bunk, sat on a wooden chair if I was fortunate enough to find one and finally, if no other option, propped up on the floor and sat on a sheet of newspaper or carrier bag that I brought with me.

120% weight training: again, each to his or her own but I didn't have as much time for training hikes as I would have liked so I trained a bit harder on the days I was able to get out. As a result, I started quite gently for the first 3 or 4 days on the camino and then felt comfortable to step out the distances, and comfortably ticked off 50kms on quite a few days (and by the way, I'm 52 and well past my prime...) I know it isn't a race but I had a very enjoyable camino and took only 25 days from SJPDP to SDC.

Gaiters: as I said, I took a pair of shorty EVent gaiters and wore them when it was wet or muddy. Very light and so helpful in keeping the crap out of my boots. My last 5 days saw torrential weather in Galicia with the streams running along the path being deeper than the ankles of my boots and I was SO glad I had them with me. Still wore shorts and lightweight pertex overtrousers, which kept my legs warm enough.

As far as headlight debate is concerned, I often chose to be on the road between 0500 and 0600 so that I could get a couple of hours of quiet, contemplative walking under my belt before the camino got busy. When I finished in late October (just before the end of Summer Time) the dawn wasn't until past 0800, and if it was cloudy then the light didn't improve much before 0830. My mini Petzle e-lite runs on a couple of coin cells and was perfect for the job - dim red led for use in albergue and a bright or medium white led for route finding (OK - I had a 9km detour one morning before dawn when I completely ignored that I hadn't seen a yellow arrow for a while in the woods - but it was a lovely adventure).

"You pays yer money and you takes your choice"

Best regards HD

Hi again,

You are getting all the advice you can eat here today - it's just up to you to choose your menu wisely...

Silk liner: sprayed inside and out just like the sleeping bag. This wasn't just to protect me on the camino - it was to protect my kit and my household when I returned. If you have ever experienced bedbugs then I think you would find this a wise precaution. I met a couple of Australian ladies who had really nasty infected bed bug bites on their legs and in creases of elbows - they looked really sore and I was glad to have taken the simple action of pre-treatment. They reckon they got them from using blankets in less-than-pristine albergues - how often do you think they wash the blankets? Do you think that every pilgrim (including mendicants) share your standard of personal hygiene and bed bugs can be found in top grade accommodation as well as in the basic ones.

Pack cover: kept it on all the time. Cost of cover ?£15, cost of pack £150. It is easier and cheaper to replace than the pack, provides protection against people dipping into your pack and also acted as a barrier against bugs and general crap.

Pack location: never on bed, usually hanging on a loop of paracord from the end of the bunk, sat on a wooden chair if I was fortunate enough to find one and finally, if no other option, propped up on the floor and sat on a sheet of newspaper or carrier bag that I brought with me.

120% weight training: again, each to his or her own but I didn't have as much time for training hikes as I would have liked so I trained a bit harder on the days I was able to get out. As a result, I started quite gently for the first 3 or 4 days on the camino and then felt comfortable to step out the distances, and comfortably ticked off 50kms on quite a few days (and by the way, I'm 52 and well past my prime...) I know it isn't a race but I had a very enjoyable camino and took only 25 days from SJPDP to SDC.

Gaiters: as I said, I took a pair of shorty EVent gaiters and wore them when it was wet or muddy. Very light and so helpful in keeping the crap out of my boots. My last 5 days saw torrential weather in Galicia with the streams running along the path being deeper than the ankles of my boots and I was SO glad I had them with me. Still wore shorts and lightweight pertex overtrousers, which kept my legs warm enough.

As far as headlight debate is concerned, I often chose to be on the road between 0500 and 0600 so that I could get a couple of hours of quiet, contemplative walking under my belt before the camino got busy. When I finished in late October (just before the end of Summer Time) the dawn wasn't until past 0800, and if it was cloudy then the light didn't improve much before 0830. My mini Petzle e-lite runs on a couple of coin cells and was perfect for the job - dim red led for use in albergue and a bright or medium white led for route finding (OK - I had a 9km detour one morning before dawn when I completely ignored that I hadn't seen a yellow arrow for a while in the woods - but it was a lovely adventure).

"You pays yer money and you takes your choice"

Best regards HD
Thanks for sharing your experiences and insight. Plenty to think about as I countdown to my Camino and help me decide and act on some of these

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The likelihood of encountering bed bugs increases as the year progresses. I went in May both times, did not spray my kit and did not encounter bed bugs. But I was vigilant to inspect my sleeping quarters for tell-tale signs of their presence.

On the pack weight issue, you will very quickly know if it is jeopardizing your ability to complete your Camino. Be prepared to jettison items or post them home if need be.

Load your pack with your gear when you train and unload it when your done. It's a good way to learn the best place in your pack for your gear and the weight is what you will carry.

I carry a head lamp, used for dark AM starts. I also carry a small AAA flash clipped to shoulder strap.

I have clips that attach to most disposable water bottles I then hook bottles to my shoulder straps.

I carry both a sleeping bag and liner. Hot or cold, your covered. Stocking hat handy for cold weather and cold dorm sleeping. Same with gloves.

Take the fleese, you will need it in May. Take some type of rain gear you will use it. I love the Altus style poncho and carry a light rain coat. I also carry a small umbrella.

Clothes. I use zip off pants and long sleeve shirts I wear one set and carry another. 3 pair wool socks. 3 set of underwear. That's it. Oh and light weight long Johns (thermals).

Tilly hat. Won't leave home without it. Sandals for after walking all day and shower shoes.

Think multipurpose when you select your gear. Example--ponchos can be used as a extra layer when its cold, a ground cloth if you have to sleep outside, or as a barrier on a iffy mattress. Thermals-- good for cold night sleeping and dorm lounge wear. Sandals--back up foot wear and showering.

Happy Trails

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.