• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

December camino

vwzoo

Time of past OR future Camino
I walked the Camino Frances in Sept 2018 and the weather was great, actually quite hot in some places, very little rain. I am plotting to walk the Camino Frances this year in December as my retirement gift to myself. I understand that it's off season and there would not be as many albergues available. I have read there can be more rain. I don't mind colder. I actually prefer colder to hotter as I hike year around here in Michigan. Does anyone have any experience or tips they could share. My trek would be actually the last part of Nov and hoping to get to Santiago right before Christmas. If all works as planned my wife would meet me for Christmas there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked in January last year. Rain was far less of a problem than it was for my later walk in September. Highly unpredictable. There is an excellent website listing accommodation known to be open over the winter. Updated frequently. It should be up and running in November.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
December is a great time to walk the Camino if you don't mind the cooler weather. Last year there were very few Pilgrims and no problem with accommodation. There was very little rain but a lot of mist at the higher point son the route.

Yes it is colder but as I am sure you know once you begin to walk within minutes you warm up. I would say when there is alot of snow on the ground if you are on paths that are really rocky try to find a parallel road that is nearby. For example the walk down from Cruz de Faro. Definitely have poles. I still had a light sleeping bag that I bought in Decathlon that is good to 15C. It worked fine for me. On a few nights I put on some extra clothes. I would rather do that then have a heavier and bulkier bag. Be careful on the downhills if it is really cold as the rocks can really be slippery. Zig zag down.
I stay mostly. in municipals and donativos but I almost ALWAYS call albergues every day, private or public. Not because I worry about a bed but to make sure that they are open. Aprinca, Gronze, Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino all do their best to keep us up to date on open/close dates of albergues but none are 100% accurate as owners and even towns can close or stay open no matter what they report. Also no one site has every place to stay so the more sources you have the better.
Footwear it is up to you. I always walk in trail runners and I have been fine but who knows what awaits this year. But I start earlier this year in mid October. Even in December I have walked many days after I warmed up in a mid layer merino wool long sleeve pullover. No problem. But again hot and cold are personal. Weather MO ONE has a clue. What happened last year or last month is meaningless.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Forum member Jeremy from Singapore braved a late Dec/January camino last year and documented everything on his blog at jhttps://jeremycamino.blog/. I thoroughly enjoyed keeping up with his daily postings. His writing and tone reflected the quiet and contemplative mood of winter caminos, vs the more busy and boisterous spring and summer caminos.

buen camino🧣

Last edited:
vwzoo,

In the happy, easier past years, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010, when I walked the CF late autumn /winter accommodation started to close mid October but some place was always open. There were no summer crowds and beds/bunks were available. I usually slept in albergues, often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those of us on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches.

Difficult CF stretches after storms could be; the Valcarlos route up to Roncesvalles (the Napoleon route is closed from November to April), across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca, Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro. You must be prepared for snow in the mountains.

Do carry simple non perishable "extra" food. Spain is filled with delicious stops, but all are not always affordable nor open; the one food shop in town may be closed on the same day as the only resto/bar. No joke.

On past winter caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food!

Of course I shared; a chunk of cheese and wedge of sausage with a few dried abricots can be ambrosia in such a setting. A smile returned by a new friend over a simple meal is one of the Camino's many joys.

Happy planning and Buen camino to both of you.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
vwzoo,

In the happy, easier past years, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010, when I walked the CF late autumn /winter accommodation started to close mid October but some place was always open. There were no summer crowds and beds/bunks were available. I usually slept in albergues, often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those of us on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches.

Difficult CF stretches after storms could be; the Valcarlos route up to Roncesvalles (the Napoleon route is closed from November to April), across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca, Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro. You must be prepared for snow in the mountains.

Do carry simple non perishable "extra" food. Spain is filled with delicious stops, but all are not always affordable nor open; the one food shop in town may be closed on the same day as the only resto/bar. No joke.

On past winter caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food!

Of course I shared; a chunk of cheese and wedge of sausage with a few dried abricots can be ambrosia in such a setting. A smile returned by a new friend over a simple meal is one of the Camino's many joys.

Thanks so much for the help

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@mspath, Margaret, I was hoping we would hear from you with your experiences on many winter Caminos! 🙂

December is a great time to walk the Camino if you don't mind the cooler weather. Last year there were very few Pilgrims and no problem with accommodation. There was very little rain but a lot of mist at the higher point son the route.
Sounds wonderful to me thanks

vwzoo,

Thank you so much for the information and tips

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes it is colder but as I am sure you know once you begin to walk within minutes you warm up. I would say when there is alot of snow on the ground if you are on paths that are really rocky try to find a parallel road that is nearby. For example the walk down from Cruz de Faro. Definitely have poles. I still had a light sleeping bag that I bought in Decathlon that is good to 15C. It worked fine for me. On a few nights I put on some extra clothes. I would rather do that then have a heavier and bulkier bag. Be careful on the downhills if it is really cold as the rocks can really be slippery. Zig zag down.
I stay mostly. in municipals and donativos but I almost ALWAYS call albergues every day, private or public. Not because I worry about a bed but to make sure that they are open. Aprinca, Gronze, Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino all do their best to keep us up to date on open/close dates of albergues but none are 100% accurate as owners and even towns can close or stay open no matter what they report. Also no one site has every place to stay so the more sources you have the better.
Footwear it is up to you. I always walk in trail runners and I have been fine but who knows what awaits this year. But I start earlier this year in mid October. Even in December I have walked many days after I warmed up in a mid layer merino wool long sleeve pullover. No problem. But again hot and cold are personal. Weather MO ONE has a clue. What happened last year or last month is meaningless.
Thank you so much for the information

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...
Big stupid question: what if, in the middle of a stage, I realize I can't really walk anymore? For whatever reason, fatigue, pain, etc. How others have treated this? Are there buses usually...
Hi everyone: I'm hoping to hike the Camino Frances in July/Aug. I would love to, ahead of time, order and ship ahead a pair of my favorite hiking shoes (Hokas) so that, roughly halfway through...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back