• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Deciding among a few Caminos

DMSyracuse

Time of past OR future Camino
CF March/April 2015 - SJPdP to Santiago
Cam. Finisterre/Muxia August 2016
Cam. Fatima - Oct 2017
Hi all,

Making plans for a 2024 pilgrimage and considering a couple different routes for end of May, beginning of June timeframe and would love to hear from others who may have done the options I'm considering. I'll have approximately 2 weeks to walk.

1. First 12 or so days of the via Podiensis from Le Puy - maybe taking the Rocamadour variant to end in or ending in Cahors.
  2. Starting in Lourdes walking the Piedmont to Oloron St Marie, then Camino Arles to Somport, then Camino Aragonese to Puenta la Reina.
  3. Same as #2 but in reverse direction ending in Lourdes as I do love ending my pilgrimages in such places like Santiago, Assisi, Fatima as I have in previous camino's.
I've done several previous caminos in Spain (Frances, Primitivo), Portugal (Fatima), Italy (Via DiFrancesco) but have never walked in France so I'm leaning towards #1 above. So would appreciate any input:). Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
#1 That first part of the Via Podiensis is truly beautiful. Good choice.

#2 I haven't walked the Piedmont so can't comment on that one. Have walked the Aragones though, which is nice, but not as spectacular as the first half of the podiensis, in my opinion.

If it is okay, I would also suggest another one that might be interesting for you: Cluny-Le Puy.

~300kms, so, perfect for two weeks of walking. Good infrastructure but still very quiet. All kinds of beautiful landscapes. Perfectly waymarked. And it ends in Le Puy which is a pilgrimage site itself.

Then continue next year from Le Puy :) Just an idea of course!

Bon chemin!

1. First 12 or so days of the via Podiensis from Le Puy - maybe taking the Rocamadour variant to end in or ending in Cahors.
Among your 3 choices, I only know this one, and I recommend it. However, reaching Cahors from Le Puy in 12 days needs to be fast...
Another advice is to consider the Cele variant, which is quite wild.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,

Making plans for a 2024 pilgrimage and considering a couple different routes for end of May, beginning of June timeframe and would love to hear from others who may have done the options I'm considering. I'll have approximately 2 weeks to walk.

2. Starting in Lourdes walking the Piedmont to Oloron St Marie, then Camino Arles to Somport, then Camino Aragonese to Puenta la Reina.
  3. Same as #2 but in reverse direction ending in Lourdes as I do love ending my pilgrimages in such places like Santiago, Assisi, Fatima as I have in previous camino's.
I've done several previous caminos in Spain (Frances, Primitivo), Portugal (Fatima), Italy (Via DiFrancesco) but have never walked in France so I'm leaning towards #1 above. So would appreciate any input:). Thanks!
I've done 1 and 2 but not the reverse. My unreserved recommendation is number 1. The walk to Cahors is unforgettable, so many wonderful places along the way. Cahors was not our final stop, but we had time to explore. We had zero expectations for this town and in the end, fell in love with it. Gorgeous setting between mountain ranges, horseshoe river enclosing it like a peninsula, large medieval quarter, luscious cuisine (mais oui...this is France, after all!).

Our expectations of Lourdes were also wrong. Despite all the schlock, we had to remind ourselves that pilgrims since time immemorial in any religion or belief want a memento. The candlelight process in the evening is one of the moving experiences we have encountered. The rest of the walk to Oleron is hiking in the countryside. Lovely, especially with the mountains always to your left (or to your right in reverse), very few hikers (it is truly a path for French hikers) and, at least in our view, no memorable places until you reach Oleron. But if you like solitude with beautiful scenery, that route will not disappoint you.

The trail in the South of France, over the Somport Pass and the Camino Aragones, are well documented, historic trails. This is a less travelled trail with spectacular scenery. The route from Le Puy, also with great landscapes, is a modern Camino which was established on GR hiking trails in the 1970s.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,

1. Getting to Cahors via the Voie de Rocamadour / Rocamadour variante might be a touch ambitious in 12 days unless, of course, you are super-fit, injury-free and prepared to walk 30.0+ km each day ... bon chemin đź‘Łđź‘Łđź‘Ł

1. Getting to Cahors via the Voie de Rocamadour / Rocamadour variante might be a touch ambitious in 12 days unless, of course, you are super-fit, injury-free and prepared to walk 30.0+ km each day ... bon chemin đź‘Łđź‘Łđź‘Ł
Yes agreed, I think i would have to choose 1 of 2 endings - 1) end in Rocamadour 2) no variant straight thru on the Via Podiensis to Cahors. I think both of those are doable in 12-13 days.
Looks like the Cele variant instead of the Rocamdour variant would also be to ambitious in 12-13 days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done 1 and 2 but not the reverse. My unreserved recommendation is number 1. The walk to Cahors is unforgettable, so many wonderful places along the way. Cahors was not our final stop, but we had time to explore. We had zero expectations for this town and in the end, fell in love with it. Gorgeous setting between mountain ranges, horseshoe river enclosing it like a peninsula, large medieval quarter, luscious cuisine (mais oui...this is France, after all!).

Our expectations of Lourdes were also wrong. Despite all the schlock, we had to remind ourselves that pilgrims since time immemorial in any religion or belief want a memento. The candlelight process in the evening is one of the moving experiences we have encountered. The rest of the walk to Oleron is hiking in the countryside. Lovely, especially with the mountains always to your left (or to your right in reverse), very few hikers (it is truly a path for French hikers) and, at least in our view, no memorable places until you reach Oleron. But if you like solitude with beautiful scenery, that route will not disappoint you.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it! And yes agree regarding the experience of the candlelight procession, I experienced that in my pilgrimage to Fatima during the Centennial celebration there - unforgettable. Have you ever done either of the variants on the Via Podiensis (Cele or Rocamadour)? I think with my timeframe its doable to either do the Rocamadour variant or no variant and end in Cahors but not both. And the Cele variant looks a little longer so probably not enough walking days to do that as an option.

#1 That first part of the Via Podiensis is truly beautiful. Good choice.

#2 I haven't walked the Piedmont so can't comment on that one. Have walked the Aragones though, which is nice, but not as spectacular as the first half of the podiensis, in my opinion.

If it is okay, I would also suggest another one that might be interesting for you: Cluny-Le Puy.

~300kms, so, perfect for two weeks of walking. Good infrastructure but still very quiet. All kinds of beautiful landscapes. Perfectly waymarked. And it ends in Le Puy which is a pilgrimage site itself.

Then continue next year from Le Puy :) Just an idea of course!

Bon chemin!
Thank you appreciate your input and suggestion on the Cluny-Le Puy option.

Among your 3 choices, I only know this one, and I recommend it. However, reaching Cahors from Le Puy in 12 days needs to be fast...
Another advice is to consider the Cele variant, which is quite wild.
Thank you - how would you compare the Cele variant to the Rocamadour variant - sound like you've taken the Cele variant?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it! And yes agree regarding the experience of the candlelight procession, I experienced that in my pilgrimage to Fatima during the Centennial celebration there - unforgettable. Have you ever done either of the variants on the Via Podiensis (Cele or Rocamadour)? I think with my timeframe its doable to either do the Rocamadour variant or no variant and end in Cahors but not both. And the Cele variant looks a little longer so probably not enough walking days to do that as an option.
I have done both the Voie du Célé [x4] and Voie de Rocamadour [x1.5]

Thank you - how would you compare the Cele variant to the Rocamadour variant - sound like you've taken the Cele variant?
Yes. Therefore I do not know the Rocamadour variant, but I know the sanctuary, and pilgrims who have done it.
My guess is that the Cele variant is better regarding the nature and the wildness, and the Rocamadour variant should be chosen if you are fond of sanctuaries. The scenery from the top of the city is great, but it can be crowded.

I can honestly say I wish I were in your shoes...what great choices you have! I have walked your #1 choice the Via Podiensis from Le Puy en Velay to St. Jean Pied de Port and another superb Camino walk the Via Gebennensis (starts in Geneva...forget maybe 12 kms in Switzerland to French border?) to Le Puy en Velay.

The Via Gebennensis is worth considering for sure...a less travelled route which I found very scenic. Having had the opportunity to walk 8 Camino routes my two favourites are the Via Gebennensis and the Camino Primitivo. The Via Gebennensis is ~350 kms and I walked it in 13 days.

The Via Podiensis from Le Puy en Velay to Cahors is a superb walk (Aubrac plateau is incredible) as mentioned earlier. I walked 344 kms to Cahors in 13 days.

Either walk for sure you will enjoy and cannot go wrong!

If at all interested I blogged www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.com from Sep 26, 2013 to Oct 22, 2013 on the 26 days outlined above. A few silly stories...various accommodation stays and pictures.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

I've done #2 and loved it!

Le Puy route is fantastic— but Cahors might be a stretch (definitely too fast for me, but I prefer to limit myself to 20 kms per day). Figeac or Rocamadour is definitely a reasonable option. Le Puy is a route best savored. :)
The other routes are on my short list to-do, but have no experience yet. Buen Camino!

I can honestly say I wish I were in your shoes...what great choices you have! I have walked your #1 choice the Via Podiensis from Le Puy en Velay to St. Jean Pied de Port and another superb Camino walk the Via Gebennensis (starts in Geneva...forget maybe 12 kms in Switzerland to French border?) to Le Puy en Velay.

The Via Gebennensis is worth considering for sure...a less travelled route which I found very scenic. Having had the opportunity to walk 8 Camino routes my two favourites are the Via Gebennensis and the Camino Primitivo. The Via Gebennensis is ~350 kms and I walked it in 13 days.

The Via Podiensis from Le Puy en Velay to Cahors is a superb walk (Aubrac plateau is incredible) as mentioned earlier. I walked 344 kms to Cahors in 13 days.

Either walk for sure you will enjoy and cannot go wrong!

If at all interested I blogged www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.com from Sep 26, 2013 to Oct 22, 2013 on the 26 days outlined above. A few silly stories...various accommodation stays and pictures.

Buen Camino!
Thank you appreciate the info and will definitely check out your blog!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1 last question to wrap up this thread - appreciate all the great comments!

Cele Variant or Rocamadour Variant? For those that have done them which one would you choose and why?

Via Podiensis is my favorite route and I’d love to go back and rewalk it. I did both variants but in different trips, not enough time to do in one swoop. Walked Le Puy en Velay to Figeac then headed north to Rocamadour for the first third. I think the Rocamadour variant took 2 days and three nights at a pretty reasonable pace, could have probably done it a bit faster. It was rural, much less travelled, got lost a few times and used google maps to figure it out. The last stretch into Rocamadour was wonderful, hiking through old forests, through mill ruins, just beautiful Rocamadour was crowded with tourists during the day, wonderful wandering around at night and I loved vespers in the side chapel. Honestly felt like I’d stepped into a Time Machine set for 800 years ago. Next trip was the Cele, from Figeac to Moissac. I think it took a couple of weeks but I’d have to go back and find notes. It was fascinating, much more interesting than I had expected, with gorgeous villages, limestone cliffs with old buildings built into them, along the river much of the way. It was fun to watch boats go through the locks, too. I really enjoyed it, especially the cave drawings one day and the gite owners, who were delightful, as was the food/wine! The last third was from Moissac to SJPDP, very agricultural, peaceful, quiet. It felt more like where people actually lived rather than being on a Camino, if that makes sense. So which to choose? I went back to Paris to Rocamadour so didn’t do the stretch back south. But I really enjoyed getting back to CDG this way. The Cele was great and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. What the heck, quit the job and just do the whole thing.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back