• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Details of accommodation at Orisson

yellowshoes55

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese - Porto to Santiago, (2014)
Camino Frances - SJPP to Santiago (2015)
We are a group of four starting our first Camino in May 2014. We are aged 58 to 63 years of age.

We have been doing heaps of training, but due to our age we are hesitant to walk the Napolean route. I also have a heart problem. We will be carrying most of our gear on our backpacks. We want to do it and stay overnight at Orisson.

I would like to know if the Albergue at Orisson has bedding or everyone is expected to supply their own sleeping bags. We were going to travel without sleeping bags due to the weight and stay in pvte accommodation.

If not, is it possible to get a suitcase transported from SJJP to Orisson, so that our sleeping bags will be waiting for us when we arrive?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't know about your heart problem but you are young, you'll see how "white" the Camino is.
There's a liggage transfer all along the Camino. No problems with that.
I suggest you take the first two days, from SJPDP , with no pack. after that walk and enjoy with your pack, take your time amd sleep in private albergues, it'l allow you to walk slower and enjoy.
I suggest you take a light sleeping bag any way, it's 200-400 grams which is nothing, after 4-5 days of hiking you won't even feel an extra kg or even two.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is no bedding at Orisson.
At a minimum you should all take a silk sleeping sack. They are very light.
Private rooms may have bedding but will simply have a bottom sheet and blanket. The sleep sack will provide you with a "top " sheet to keep used blankets away from direct contact.
By "luggage" I hope you mean a backpack and not a suitcase.

I second Zammy's advice-- baggge transfer the first day at a minimum. Another good day to consider baggage transfer is Pamplona-Puente La Reina (Altos del Perdon). I guess what I am trying to tell you is be realistic about YOUR situation, it is YOUR Camino.

One option to consider is walk to Orrisson, and arrange transportation back to SJPDP. The next morning, get on a taxi get to Orisson and continue on walking from there. This option gets you 2 nights in SJPDP, with the first walking day only having to take a small backpack. The second day just arrange the taxi/baggage transfer company (Express Bouricott) to drop off the backpacks at Roncesvalles. Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks very much for all your suggestions :) All taken on board to consider.

Might I add, most of our friends in Australia have not even heard of the Camino de Santiago nor any of the other Camino's. :(

They are in awe that we would even consider walking the eight hundred kilometres, regardless of how our luggage is transported nor where we would stay. So, to complete the Camino by any method is a goal to be very proud of. Hope fully it will inspire some more Australians to consider one of the Caminos in either France or Spain.

Perhaps I didn't word my previous post well.

But, maybe it is the younger generation on the forum as my generation seem to be unaware of the Camino. Or maybe I'm mixing in the wrong circle of friends? :p

Anyway, we might take Olivares advice. Truely looking forward to our first Camino.

Thanks heaps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Perhaps I didn't word my previous post well.

But, maybe it is the younger generation on the forum as my generation seem to be unaware of the Camino. Or maybe I'm mixing in the wrong circle of friends? :p

Anyway, we might take Olivares advice. Truely looking forward to our first Camino.

Thanks heaps.

An average of 230,000 people walk the Frances every tear , many more in the holy year.
We are just on 1%of this total , which is about 2500/year.
This has been going for many, many, many years and our first encounter was in 97 when we exchanged home in The Lot , france.
A couple were walking from Belgium , both doctors who had taken a sabbatical.
I am sure many more Australians walk the other camino's in France but once one has collected a certificate no more are required when Norte, Portuguese etc are completed.
They only end up in the draw mate

I would say 80% of the people we meet / know in Oz know about the camino..............no problems at all.
We are in our late 60's and it is a very common discussion on the peninsula.
You would be very surprised who has walked , especially in the business section.

I'll take a punt Yellowshoes55........you are a teacher?
If you are and you walk the camino , every other teacher in the school , most students in your year and then most parents will then KNOW.
If the principal has a newsletter then everyone connected to the school knows.

Don't travel without a liner , you won't need a sleeping bag.
Walk to Orison and get back to St.J and the following day taxi back there and start..as Olivares has stated........keep going to Burgette.
Walking with others ??
My daughter once told me ...........good friends are like fish dad..... 2 days and there're off.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yellow shoes ... wink wink.... I suggest you are mixing in the wrong circles as you suggest...... lots of ozzies know about the Camino.........

Yellowshoe, just a warning. I walked the CF the end of May to the end of June this year. I started out from SJPdP, planning to walk the Napolean. When I arrived in SJPdP, the weather was so bad that the Napolean was closed! I had to walk the Valcarlos. Very challenging, especially in that bad, cold, wet, icy weather. One woman broke her leg going against the advice of the locals and attempting the Napolean anyway. It was supposed to be SPRINGTIME!!
I'm in your age bracket and walked successfully the whole way to Santiago. I carried my sleeping bag and packed everything so my backpack was (relatively) light. You can do it. Take your time and take it easy. It's your Camino! Many people use the bag transport companies (I didn't) and, hey, if it makes your Camino a great, memorable experience for you, go for it (especially those first few days).
The best advice is "Start out like an old man so you can finish like a young man." I took that advice seriously and, in the end, passed more people half my age and less who were hobbling and looking sooooo pained, it hurt my heart!! But I was good!
Buen Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yellowshoe, just a warning. I walked the CF the end of May to the end of June this year. I started out from SJPdP, planning to walk the Napolean. When I arrived in SJPdP, the weather was so bad that the Napolean was closed! I had to walk the Valcarlos. Very challenging, especially in that bad, cold, wet, icy weather. One woman broke her leg going against the advice of the locals and attempting the Napolean anyway. It was supposed to be SPRINGTIME!!
I'm in your age bracket and walked successfully the whole way to Santiago. I carried my sleeping bag and packed everything so my backpack was (relatively) light. You can do it. Take your time and take it easy. It's your Camino! Many people use the bag transport companies (I didn't) and, hey, if it makes your Camino a great, memorable experience for you, go for it (especially those first few days).
The best advice is "Start out like an old man so you can finish like a young man." I took that advice seriously and, in the end, passed more people half my age and less who were hobbling and looking sooooo pained, it hurt my heart!! But I was good!
Buen Camino!!

That quote Footek is the most important advice i have offered this forum.
It was by an old Italian that had started in Mt Blanc....and this was in STJPDeP after he had gone well over 1200km.
He was in his late 70's , a lovely man and he was actually telling this to my wife.
I was walking too quickly for her..........and they were his words of advice to her .

We actually loved the Valcarlos way, a shame it rained as the forrest is beautiful.

That quote Footek is the most important advice i have offered this forum.
It was by an old Italian that had started in Mt Blanc....and this was in STJPDeP after he had gone well over 1200km.
He was in his late 70's , a lovely man and he was actually telling this to my wife.
I was walking too quickly for her..........and they were his words of advice to her .

We actually loved the Valcarlos way, a shame it rained as the forrest is beautiful.
I'm delighted to be able to correctly attribute that most valuable piece of advice. I thought of it every day, especially during the first week of my Camino. I read it here first on the Forum. Many thanks for sharing this so long ago - it had a great impact.

Hello, I hope it is OK to join in here. I would like to do the Camino starting late June 2014. I wondered if one needs to book to spend the night at Orisson?
Not sure if I need to start a new thread. I am from Sunshine Coast QLD.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I second Zammy's advice-- baggge transfer the first day at a minimum. Another good day to consider baggage transfer is Pamplona-Puente La Reina (Altos del Perdon). I guess what I am trying to tell you is be realistic about YOUR situation, it is YOUR Camino.

One option to consider is walk to Orrisson, and arrange transportation back to SJPDP. The next morning, get on a taxi get to Orisson and continue on walking from there. This option gets you 2 nights in SJPDP, with the first walking day only having to take a small backpack. The second day just arrange the taxi/baggage transfer company (Express Bouricott) to drop off the backpacks at Roncesvalles. Hope this helps.

Now that...sounds like a great plan.

Hello, I hope it is OK to join in here. I would like to do the Camino starting late June 2014. I wondered if one needs to book to spend the night at Orisson?
Not sure if I need to start a new thread. I am from Sunshine Coast QLD.
I would take the advice of anniesantiago and book now.I tried to book orisson 10days prior to trip,no go.They do have another property 800 metres before Orisson but no cafe,simple cooking facility

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Everyone,
I still have not confirmed that I will be going. When you say "book now" - I am not sure how to go about that. Do I google accommodation in Orrison - or does one book through a specific website. I have ordered a John Brierley book which is a Jan 14 publication so I will have up todate information.

Thanks Everyone,
I still have not confirmed that I will be going. When you say "book now" - I am not sure how to go about that. Do I google accommodation in Orrison - or does one book through a specific website. I have ordered a John Brierley book which is a Jan 14 publication so I will have up todate information.

Here is the Refuge Orison web .
Click contact to get their email address.

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

do you have an email address express Bouricott or do you do it when you get to SJPP? thankyou

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much Margaret - it looks beautiful.
I wonder why anyone would not want to spend the night there and return to SJPDP?
I will book it as soon as I have definite dates.
My one concern about making lots of bookings is that I may walk less distance some days and I don't like the idea of being tied into a strict schedule. Any thoughts? I appreciate your opinion

Thank you so much Margaret - it looks beautiful.
I wonder why anyone would not want to spend the night there and return to SJPDP?
I will book it as soon as I have definite dates.
My one concern about making lots of bookings is that I may walk less distance some days and I don't like the idea of being tied into a strict schedule. Any thoughts? I appreciate your opinion

One doesn't usually need to book in Spain but France is different, and Orisson in particular, because it gets busy. There is only one alternative to Orisson, a chambre d'hôtes at Hontto.

Since I am old I have never walked the Napoleon route nor stayed at Orisson but always follow the Valcarlos alternate. I rarely book anyplace EXCEPT in Santiago de Compostela and that only a few days before arrival. In more than 400 nights on the camino in late autumn/winter only once did I need to go slightly further to find a bunk. For me happenstance and serendipity are two camino joys; every day is a new unscheduled adventure.

MM

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would take the advice of anniesantiago and book now.I tried to book orisson 10days prior to trip,no go.They do have another property 800 metres before Orisson but no cafe,simple cooking facility

I had to stay at this facility and those 800 metres were tough,back n forth to Orisson for the dinner,plus the added vino i'd sipped lol.

Is not much about not wanting, but about CAPACITY. Many (many!) pilgrims get turned down at Orisson because the place is limited. Hence, the rec to go back to SJPDP if need be.

AnnieY- check http://www.expressbourricot.com/en.html. Email Caroline; she is very nice to deal with. Her sister owns a Pilgrim's supply store across from the Pilgrim's Office in SJPDP. The store opens very early for those pilgrims starting on the road.

€83,-
I'm wondering how long I can expect to wait before hearing back from Orisson on my attempt to make a reservation? I've noticed every now and then when looking at threads that people sometimes mention a delay between sending the inquiry email and getting a response. I stayed there myself in May 2012, but can't quite recall how much time it took to get a reply. The situation is a little different this time, in that I'm trying to make the booking with far less lead-in time, and therefore I'm aware that they might be booked out. If the latter is the case, I'd rather find out sooner than later, so as to allow me to make alternative arrangements. I'm not worried about going all the way to Roncesvalles from St Jean on Day 1, but I would prefer not to, particularly given my memories of the friends I made when stopping at Orisson in 2012. A handful of the people I met there formed the bulk of my Camino family, so much so that I suspect the experience of the walk (in human terms, at least) might have been very different had I not had the opportunities to make those connections. I'm not saying it would have been better or worse, but certainly different, as I suspect the "cast of characters" might have ended up being very different.

Anyway, I sent the query mail on Sunday night, and this is Tuesday afternoon, so I know not much time has passed, but I'm hoping to stay there on July 3, which isn't very far away, so I'm aware there is a chance that they'll already be fully subscribed for the night. I had the luxury of being able to book much further in advance last time!

Hi Mark
finally I know that I am definitely going - last week in june!! I have filled in the contact form and am now waiting for a reply. Have they got back to you yet?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mark
finally I know that I am definitely going - last week in june!! I have filled in the contact form and am now waiting for a reply. Have they got back to you yet?

Hi Jackal,

They got back to me today, and I have a bunk confirmed for July 3. All set now!

I sent the request through on Sunday night, so it took 2/3 days to get the reply. You'll presumably hear back on a similar timeline. So, if you put in the query today, you should hear back on Friday or Saturday. Hopefully, they'll have a space for you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hello Fellow Pilgrims, We are walking for the first time in two weeks and getting all our logistic ducks in a row (all that we can think of, anyway) - we’ve done a little research and asked...
I found I couldn't make any reservation in SJPP in the coming days. They are fully booked. I can't find even a single bed. What should I do? Is there anybody has a same situation?
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back