Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.

Discarded Masks

Walton

Past OR future Camino
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
Wildlife people here are concerned about the number of animals including fish and birds, that are becoming entangled in discarded masks.

If you are walking the Camino or anywhere for that matter and see a discarded mask with straps intact, they are recommending cutting the straps with a pair of scizzors. There is no need to actually touch the mask - I wouldn't but cut the straps, certainly.

Also, if you are discarding your mask in the rubbish, cutting the straps may just save a bird or an animal from entanglement at the rubbish dump.

Food for thought.

Cheers

Graham

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Also, if you are discarding your mask in the rubbish, cutting the straps may just save a bird or an animal from entanglement at the rubbish dump.
Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. I will cut the straps of masks before throwing them away from now on.

Walton

Past OR future Camino
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
I was thinking of bringing some dog poop bags and carefully picking up masks I see. Then toss them in a proper trash bin. That way we clean as we go.

A great idea - I always pick up trash and bin it at the next bin. I was a very naughty kid at school and my punishment was cleaning the school grounds during lunchtimes and recess. I became very good at this 😂 and I secretly enjoyed making a contribution to clean school grounds. A habit I've carried on to this day, everywhere I go.

The problem is that masks straps pose an entanglement danger to wildlife until it is either buried or burned. Cut straps absolutely lessons the risk of some animal or bird or fish becoming entangled no matter where the disposed mask ends up.

Cheers

Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads