• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

“Disconnect on the Camino” project - walking without electronic devices

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
An article about a recent Camino journey by a group of young people and their supporters on the Camino Frances: "a novel activity where young people do not carry money, mobile phones or any type of electronic device while participating in it." "During the journey, various individual therapies and group talks about the harmful effects of new technologies among the youngest have been carried out. "

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Very interesting, thought provoking even. Beautiful concept - freeing even, kids lives are so driven and haranged by technology. Only device when I was a young teenager was tv, radio and lps/tapes, omg. Just tossing it up there, what about using money. All the kids I work with don't use cash ever. Thanks for sharing

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I was wondering for myself if I should load up on some audio books for my phone to listen to while I walk. Or like this program, disconnect from electronics. I think this might be useful for all ages (I'm in my 60s), even though the portion of time using electronics is different for each individual.
I find many (not all) drivers and bikers with earbuds distracted. I imaging some hikers could experience the same, but being slower the impact of a collision can be less problematic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was wondering for myself if I should load up on some audio books for my phone to listen to while I walk. Or like this program, disconnect from electronics. I think this might be useful for all ages (I'm in my 60s), even though the portion of time using electronics is different for each individual.
I find many (not all) drivers and bikers with earbuds distracted. I imaging some hikers could experience the same, but being slower the impact of a collision can be less problematic.
I listen to books quite a bit. However, when I want to enjoy a beautiful sight or think something through, books are a distraction. Personally, I think being distracted by a book would take time away from contemplating the walking experience and from being open to new people. Maybe after a day walking, lying on my bed waiting for the restaurant to open.

I listen to books quite a bit. However, when I want to enjoy a beautiful sight or think something through, books are a distraction. Personally, I think being distracted by a book would take time away from contemplating the walking experience and from being open to new people. Maybe after a day walking, lying on my bed waiting for the restaurant to open.
I also listen to books quite a bit. Good solution to ocular migraines. But I concur about them being a distraction if I’m walking in an intentional way. I listen on my way to and from work or errands, or while doing house-work…. But I don’t listen if I’m taking one of my purposeful local walks (ugly and urban or pastoral and bucolic… does not matter).
I’ve never used an audio book while resting at day’s end on camino… mostly because I’ve felt my mind elsewhere. BUT… I do listen on my very long-haul flights.
I think there’s a balance… and it sure beats carting around even a “light” paperback.

I also listen to books quite a bit. Good solution to ocular migraines. But I concur about them being a distraction if I’m walking in an intentional way. I listen on my way to and from work or errands, or while doing house-work…. But I don’t listen if I’m taking one of my purposeful local walks (ugly and urban or pastoral and bucolic… does not matter).
I’ve never used an audio book while resting at day’s end on camino… mostly because I’ve felt my mind elsewhere. BUT… I do listen on my very long-haul flights.
I think there’s a balance… and it sure beats carting around even a “light” paperback.
I agree with Philtration and yourself. I think I'll skip them on the hike and just on the flights over. I was intending to use audio (books and spanish language) while doing my training at home since I go over the same path a lot and I'm not contemplating the type of thoughts I expect to when on the Camino. I know I'm overthinking it, but to original topic about kids tuning out distractions and doing the Camino resonated with why I was thinking about it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
An article about a recent Camino journey by a group of young people and their supporters on the Camino Frances: "a novel activity where young people do not carry money, mobile phones or any type of electronic device while participating in it." "During the journey, various individual therapies and group talks about the harmful effects of new technologies among the youngest have been carried out. "

Nice, Back to the Future, don't look down, look up and see the light!

Way back in --- well, many years ago --- I asked my Bishop for permission to be absent from my parish in order to do a long-ish Camino walk. He said "Sure! But I will require that you carry your cell phone with you at all times, so that you can be reached quickly in case either I or your parishioners have an emergency." I did as I was told, of course....

Not all of us have the freedom to dispense with the blessings (?) that modern technology brings.... I have never used my cellphone on the Camino for music, audiobooks,, etc. (Never even tempted!) I use it only to take photographs -- and to be available as per my Bishop. That's it.

Last edited:
Bring a film camera. Letter paper and stamps. Sundial.
in those good ole days I used to take 2 36x and 4-5 24x rolls on a regular 1 week vacation
Given that I took close to 3K shots (and a good number of video as well - so technically that would mean to drag a 8mm as well )... yeah ... I think the "weightwatchers" would have a conniption 😇:rolleyes:;)😁

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I was planning the Camino I could not even remotely contemplate to walk without my music!!! On many-a-"test walks" (and even when I simply just go mini-hiking or walk to the local grocery store, etc.) it set the mood and the rhythm. I always chuckle as it never fails - just as I would get a bit tired and start lagging one of those WWII Soviet Marches would blare.... and it would pep me up considerably (I guess old habits die hard... MUST MARCH! ;) )
So... I had my AirBuds and couple of spare battery packs just so I can (or rather the phone) endure 6-8 hours of playing the playlists

...And then the boots TRULY hit the ground....and Camino beckoned... and the number of times that I listened to my music was one big ZERO, ZED, ZIP, NADA! I got immersed by the sounds of nature and all that ("Jazz")

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd hopped and skipped forever and a day
We walked The Way we choose
With poles and packs and shoes....
Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days

:)

What I find interesting is that they are not only walking without electronics, but also without money. Money is a very old technology, which might be said to even predate the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back