• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do people have a right to snore "chuckle"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear Bed 70,

Sorry to have kept you awake last night,I hope that you find the tranquility again that deserted you last night. It was not my intention to harm you or anyone else, and if I could stop my snoring at will I would do it in a flash. I hope that when you encounter similar people to me again that you can find an inner place of peace and patience and that your loving heart grows ever stronger.

Bed 72

p.s If you ever consider walking a Camino de Santiago I would recommend buying some good earplugs or taking some sleeping tablets.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please take what follows with a certain amount of sodium, I just can't help myself as I thought your last comment to be a bit 'cheeky' . . .

Dear bed 72.

Thank you for the practical advice and sincere remarks. I did go to the pharmacy and looked for the sleeping pills and earplugs you suggested. I found some and purchased them for future reference/use.

I'm also happy to report that the same pharmacy was selling generic mouth guards for folks affected by snoring ; this turns out to be a device that positions the lower jaw forwards passively and comfortably, reducing snoring in over 83% of the people that use it . . .

Here you have a, non-medicinal way of , in all likelihood, reducing your snoring in the proverbial previously mentioned 'flash' and your fellow Camino walkers will not have to rely on sleeping pills or even earplugs . . .
It's like you have an opportunity to take responsibility for your unfortunate affliction, without having other folks having to take measures on your account . . .

Now we can all find 'the tranquility again' and I also hope that when you encounter similar people to me again that you can find an inner place of peace and patience and that your loving heart grows ever stronger !

Buen Camino !

Kind Regards,

Bed 68

Categories
Anti snoring , Stop snoring , anti slip , anti dust , anti vibration
Home > Beauty & Health > Health Care > Body Health
SKU099698%20(1).jpg

(0 Review)
In stock , usually dispatched in 1 business day
Qty.Range(unit)131030100
Price(per unit) CA$2.932.642.562.512.43
CA$

Dear Bed 72,

Do you castigate crying babies and expect that to stop the noise?

My husband is the gentlest, kindest, nicest man I know but he snores. VERY loudly. He can't help it. He can't stop it.

People like you have ended our previously enjoyable stays in albergues. He is now too embarrassed to stay in them. Also I stay awake all night with anxiety waiting to poke, prod or turn him.

As one hospitalero said to me, if you can't cope with other people, and that includes snoring, then don't stay in an albergue.

And by the way, you smell!

Yours in loving Christian communion,

Bed 69.

I can see the notes being composed now. It may be easier to write them before you go and then just leave them as needed. Saves time in the morning. :)
Pretty on track though hey..LMAO......I might have a full symphony hard to hear myself!!!!!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm also happy to report that the same pharmacy was selling generic mouth guards for folks affected by snoring ; this turns out to be a device that positions the lower jaw forwards passively and comfortably, reducing snoring in over 83% of the people that use it . . .

SImply not true. Advertising and merchandising puff.

On a slightly different tack (no particular bed being personally addressed....) can anyone recommend earplugs that actually work? In spite of being deaf enough to wear a hearing aid, I find earplugs hardly block anything. Unfortunately it's high pitched tones I don't hear, while anything deep sounding is crystal clear (and snores come into this category). I even paid $40 for a pair that promised to do wonderful things - nup, still the same. Any suggestions gratefully received (unless they involve holding head under in a bucket of water etc... ) :(

The simplest cheapest foam earplugs work best for me. They shut out almost everything.
I also bought the expensive earplugs with the best noise reduction, but they dont work. They are primarily for concerts or some for workmen who work in noisy surrounding. They are for ear protection, but protection for ear damage is something far different then protecting yourself from snorers and a bads night sleep :)

I say go for the cheap foam ones. Give 'm a try

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In my experience nothing can stop the floor moving & walls shaking from the Olympic snorer but most disturbingly at the end of the Camino I quite welcomed the slow rhythmic background snores of the typical pilgrim - though it was filtered through good, simple ( very cheap & very light ) disposable foam plugs

Hi all, in regards to the 'best type' of earplugs, I would have to go against everyone here. After serving time (lol) in the Australian army and having to share a room with 3 horrific snorers I had tried everything to block out the noise. I tried moulded plugs, I tried foam plugs and even found some type of silicon based type. All rubbish. Except for the day I stumbled upon ear plugs used at a firing range(gun plugs). They are shorter than foam plugs, are fully rounded without a tapered end and worked a treat for me for 2 years whilst sharing rooms. They can be bought from any local gun club or firing range. Are dirt cheap and weight the same as foam plugs. Just a suggestion as each to their own. But I have already stocked up with 20 pairs of plugs for my camino in May 2015. Hope this helps, give them a try as I'm sure you won't be disappointed. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nice one Jeff.....................DO PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO SNORE ( CHUCKLE )

In most countries I would suggest that it is freedom of speech. But is some countries this is not so......................

HERE PEOPLE DON'T EVEN HAVE A RIGHT TO LIVE..........................

At the end of each day on the Camino and after a few nightcaps I don't care and I'm far too tired to notice.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your replies, Dutch, Kanga, Kevin, Lise and Adam. Lise, I do like your roll and twist instructions, I shall try them this weekend as I'm staying with friends while taking part in the Mangawhai Walking Weekend. However Adam's gun plugs sound like they might be what I'm looking for, I shall go ahunting for them. o_O

I've always used the ones that are handed out on our Iberia flights. They work a charm. I really don-t hear anything at all. Anne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a lot of experience in this area and know that people do not know they can be as loud as they be, but also they can not alter this. I also snore (sometimes) and one friend? walking/sharing hostels turned on me one morning in front of the group and complained bitterly about me snoring. Embarrassing it definitely was. My hubby complains bitterly about other snorers, this usually happens when he can't sleep, however he can keep a whole alberque awake. I can't tolerate ear plugs. I try to relax, follow the sound, like counting sheep...up/down /rattle,and a little night cap helps, getting mad helps no one. I'm sure someone here posted about pulling someones toe or trying to wake them up and that is NOT right. I will take some notes and report back. On one Camino I had the "Walrus, Carpenter and "man on sleep apnoea? machine" following me from town to town..it became quite funny.

...My hubby complains bitterly about other snorers, this usually happens when he can't sleep, however he can keep a whole alberque awake. I can't tolerate ear plugs. I try to relax, follow the sound, like counting sheep...up/down /rattle,and a little night cap helps, getting mad helps no one. ...

Totally agree on this.
I'm a snorer also so they've told me, but snoring don't keep me away from my "beauty sleep" anytime ;) I remember when I was a child, of let's say 10yo, my grandmother snored with very high frequency when exhaling. I had to go to living room and read the book until I was almost unconscious, hahaha. Later I learned that being tired helps a lot. I learned that not taking an afternoon sleep helps a loooooot. And if you, as @unadara suggest, try to relax and follow the rhythm of the snoring (and that could even become funny for a few minutes, for me), maybe even to adapt your breathing to their rhythm, that helps even mooooooore.

Hope to hear you on the way, because you're unique :p

My brother who is walking with me this year and normaly accompanies on many other walks usually tries to camp in the next valley because of my snoring! But when I wake in the night I can usually hear him snoring quite clearly despite the distance.
So...beware two elderly English brothers this year as we will not be taking spare ear plugs and will be making full use of the hostels

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Aww Earl&Scruggs dueling snorers cant wait for the new albulm. Heeeeeee Hawwwww

If one travels, and one stays in a hostel or albergue, whether on the Camino or anywhere else, one should expect there to be some degree of snoring or loud fellow travelers to be present. It's all part of communal living, and if one does not like it, get a room. Fortunately when I'm tired, like I was everyday night while walking the Camino, I can sleep soundly through the loudest of snorers. Now the peregrinos that smelled bad? That was another matter. Ha ha. Stink is stink, and I found it odd that some people did not take advantage of the showers at the albergues.

I find the foam earplugs scratchy and irritating and, even if they stay in (which they usually don't), they aren't very effective noise blockers. But I love wax earplugs. As they warm inside your ear they mold to the ear canal, and are quite soft to sleep on. For me they provide the best noise reduction by far.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Please take what follows with a certain amount of sodium, I just can't help myself as I thought your last comment to be a bit 'cheeky' . . .

Dear bed 72.

Thank you for the practical advice and sincere remarks. I did go to the pharmacy and looked for the sleeping pills and earplugs you suggested. I found some and purchased them for future reference/use.

Here you have a, non-medicinal way of , in all likelihood, reducing your snoring in the proverbial previously mentioned 'flash' and your fellow Camino walkers will not have to rely on sleeping pills or even earplugs . . .
It's like you have an opportunity to take responsibility for your unfortunate affliction, without having other folks having to take measures on your account . . .

Now we can all find 'the tranquility again' and I also hope that when you encounter similar people to me again that you can find an inner place of peace and patience and that your loving heart grows ever stronger !

Buen Camino !

Kind Regards,

Bed 68

Categories
Anti snoring , Stop snoring , anti slip , anti dust , anti vibration
Home > Beauty & Health > Health Care > Body Health
SKU099698%20(1).jpg

(0 Review)
In stock , usually dispatched in 1 business day
Qty.Range(unit)131030100
Price(per unit) CA$2.932.642.562.512.43
CA$

Oh mannnn thank you! I have been paranoid about my snoring - and am looking forward to giving them a try out! I'd rather look silly then snore everyone out of the room!

Dear Bed 72,

Do you castigate crying babies and expect that to stop the noise?

My husband is the gentlest, kindest, nicest man I know but he snores. VERY loudly. He can't help it. He can't stop it.

People like you have ended our previously enjoyable stays in albergues. He is now too embarrassed to stay in them. Also I stay awake all night with anxiety waiting to poke, prod or turn him.

As one hospitalero said to me, if you can't cope with other people, and that includes snoring, then don't stay in an albergue.

And by the way, you smell!

Yours in loving Christian communion,

Bed 69.

You forgot the sodium !!

Not sure where the 'castigation' came from, nor do I recall stating anything in regards to people that snorrrre being unkind . . . Babies . . . ? seriously ? I think you're grasping for straws here . . . .

We all cope, I just have trouble with comments in the nature of 'I snore, that's your problem : you deal with it' . . . At least try to accommodate as we all do . . . (and me smelling is resolved with a shower . . . )

God Bless

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I have tried and tested many ways of making my snoring tolerable for the people around me, nose strips, sleeping on my side or my front, throat spray, just before bed throat lonzeges they seem to be (I have been told) quite effective. But the one solution which is quite effective for other dorm residents is to find myself shacked up in one of those little snoring rooms set aside for people like me, I have had little dainty rooms with bedside lamps, curtains and cupboards, on the Frances I slept in quite a few of these. On other routes i tend to end up on the sofa in the communal area or on my roll mat on the kitchen floor.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On a slightly different tack (no particular bed being personally addressed....) can anyone recommend earplugs that actually work? In spite of being deaf enough to wear a hearing aid, I find earplugs hardly block anything. Unfortunately it's high pitched tones I don't hear, while anything deep sounding is crystal clear (and snores come into this category). I even paid $40 for a pair that promised to do wonderful things - nup, still the same. Any suggestions gratefully received (unless they involve holding head under in a bucket of water etc... ) :(
Kiwi-d, the only thing I have found that blocks everything out is a pair of standard earplugs plus noise-reducing Bose headphones playing white noise on my iPod.

Last edited:
If one travels, and one stays in a hostel or albergue, whether on the Camino or anywhere else, one should expect there to be some degree of snoring or loud fellow travelers to be present. It's all part of communal living, and if one does not like it, get a room. Fortunately when I'm tired, like I was everyday night while walking the Camino, I can sleep soundly through the loudest of snorers. Now the peregrinos that smelled bad? That was another matter. Ha ha. Stink is stink, and I found it odd that some people did not take advantage of the showers at the albergues.
Thanks for the heads up, Mark! I will bring Vick's VapoRub to put under my nose if this occurs.

Thanks for the heads up, Mark! I will bring Vick's VapoRub to put under my nose if this occurs.

Oh, no need for that. It was definitely an exception to the rule. The overwhelming majority of peregrinos are quite hygienic. Save the room for some lip balm or sunscreen. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Um yes. People have the right to snore.

Today's packing list additions...... gun plugs....wax earplugs... bose headphones....Ipod.... Vicks.... gasmask..... Now I'm getting a bit worried, I don't have any room left for clothes!

How about packing some hope as that doesn't take a lot of room up:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my Camino in late August 2013 I walked with several Austrailian woman we met up at the end of each day. One morning I woke around six a.m. and apoligised to all, for snoring, as I did every night. One of the girls replied "You were not snoring darling, just purrrring" Meow !!!

People snore, smoke, eat, wake up early, whisper and talk, giggle, make love, talk while asleep, make noice while asleep, listen to their ipodspadsmp3s, read, go to the bathroom, turn on the lights, laugh, talk, are sleepwalkers...

We cannot stop that. No earplugs can keep the symphony of snorers& others away from you.

So if you can´t sleep at nights - get up at 4 or 5 or whenever was enough for you and start walking.

Take a long afternoon nap at the next albergue before the snorers&others start snoring to get ready for one more sleepless night.

I will be on the Camino this September with my wife. I am a snorer and have been worried about my snoring. I know I snore and I don't want to disturb any other pilgrims but yet I do want to walk the Camino and have all the experience that one should have while on the Camino. I plan on taking with me and wearing at night "breath right strips". They seem to help me here at home. Also I have a chin strap that I too will be wearing that keeps my jaw closed and does indeed reduce the snoring. I don't know what else to do but in my mind I am doing all I can to respect other pilgrims. I am in advance apologizing for my snoring and any other body noises that my disturb you.
Buen Camino

ps I do promise this, at 6am when I am up getting ready to leave the albergue I will not disturb you in any way. I will be quite and depart without fanfare.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I snore but usually other peoples snoring just washes over me and I can drift off quite easily. The only exception to this is when I started on the Portugues route near Lisbon, my walking companion as soon as we stopped for the day would lay on his bed(any time of the day) and start snoring, which would only be interrupted when I shook him awake to go for the evening meal, then he would go back to the room and start snoring again, his 'tone' of snoring seemed to find a jarring point in me which would leave me wide awake even though I was usually very tired. I do sympthasise with non snorers because no matter how much good will there is I know how destructive not getting sleep can be and sometimes a persons buttons can be pushed that little bit easier.

I will be on the Camino this September with my wife. I am a snorer and have been worried about my snoring. I know I snore and I don't want to disturb any other pilgrims but yet I do want to walk the Camino and have all the experience that one should have while on the Camino. I plan on taking with me and wearing at night "breath right strips". They seem to help me here at home. Also I have a chin strap that I too will be wearing that keeps my jaw closed and does indeed reduce the snoring. I don't know what else to do but in my mind I am doing all I can to respect other pilgrims. I am in advance apologizing for my snoring and any other body noises that my disturb you.
Buen Camino

ps I do promise this, at 6am when I am up getting ready to leave the albergue I will not disturb you in any way. I will be quite and depart without fanfare.

Jabaldo, do not give it any more thought. Really, The Camino is a pilgrimage. It has been walked for nearly 2000 years as a pilgrimage, a sacred walk, a religious and spiritual path. You have the right to walk it and fellow pilgrims are, IMO, called to look upon each other and you with charity and love. People who can't understand that should book into hotels. Or go walk somewhere else. I'm married to a snorer and I know there is nothing he can do - he's had the tests, tried the gadgets, it is just how he breathes.

Jabaldo, do not give it any more thought. Really, The Camino is a pilgrimage. It has been walked for nearly 2000 years as a pilgrimage, a sacred walk, a religious and spiritual path. You have the right to walk it and fellow pilgrims are, IMO, called to look upon each other and you with charity and love. People who can't understand that should book into hotels. Or go walk somewhere else. I'm married to a snorer and I know there is nothing he can do - he's had the tests, tried the gadgets, it is just how he breathes.
Thank you I do plan on walking the Camino and enjoying all that the Camino has to offer. I have no fear of who I am or how I am perceived by others.
Thank you

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"Nytol Anti-Snoring Throat Spray" saw this on a advert on TV tonight. Have not used but might give it a go for the sake of peace and tranquillity.

I have a feeling that for myself that after a full day of walking, I will so exhausted I'll fall asleep as soon as I get into bed.

Kris

Today's packing list additions...... gun plugs....wax earplugs... bose headphones....Ipod.... Vicks.... gasmask..... Now I'm getting a bit worried, I don't have any room left for clothes!
Thank goodness it's all optional!

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back