• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you ever get confused as to which bano/servicio to use on the Camino?

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
12508878_939823192792504_164909054551754886_n.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On our Camino Ignaciano, we had a pee break and morning coffee at a truck stop somewhere along the way. After having my food, I followed the signs to the toilets. When I arrived at the small alcove, there were three doors, one marked with an "S"' another an "M" and another with a "C". My limited Spanish failed me. Señors? Señoras? Mujeres? Mujer?Muchachos? Chicas? Caballeros? Why no "H" for "hombré"? I just stood there, stooped with crossed legs, praying that someone would come out of one of the doors that would at least give me a 50% chance of guessing correctly, if not certainty. I tried working out the possibilities. In the end, I just guessed and thanked God for getting me into the one with a urinal.

Last edited:
In the end, I just guessed and thanked God for getting me into the one with a urinal.
Does it really matter? We stop at a gas station/Starbucks on our way to Seattle all the time. One lady's plus one men's room. The line to the lady's always had 6 women plus kids in line and the men's maybe one in line. So I've always just used the men's room. I don't care if it has a urinal in it. Noticed on our last trip to Seattle that they've taken down the men's/lady's room signs and it just says restroom.

The necessity for local Spanish people along the way to put this type of sign up is one that bothers me.
Now becoming a common feature. Shame on Pilgrims ?

Attachments

• 2015-06-06 11.42.36.jpg
    2015-06-06 11.42.36.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I am unsure, I just pick a door. If is is a single-holer, I just use that bathroom. If it is one with multiple toilets, and I see urinals, I just apologize and go to the other bathroom. Women can sometimes be weird about men using the women's bathroom, but I have found that most men couldn't care less if a woman uses the men's.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I totally get what you are saying Allan, but I dislike being in that collective. Those that leave their mess should be ashamed of themselves--don't include me.

Leave no trace, take only photos. I packed what I used OUT and disposed of it properly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As regard using the ladies vs. the men's, as I frequently say in a cafe or Starbucks here, "it all goes to the same place anyway." I use whichever facility is available. If there is a line for the ladies loo, I will not add to their burden. But, if both are available, I will use whichever comes to hand.

One night in a bar in Bar Harbor, Maine, I was talking to a couple. He was fairly intoxicated, a bit ahead of me. He said that he needed to use the restroom, and I spoke up and said that "this is a Scottish themed bar and the men's room has a sign on the door that says 'Laddies' ". His wife was not amused that I was trying to trick him into entering the ladies restroom.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Reminded of this Osbert Lancaster cartoon, where Willie Littlehampton can't remember who uses andron and who gynaikon:

osbert lancaster2.jpg

When I arrived at the small alcove, there were three doors, one marked with an "S"' another an "M" and another with a "C". My limited Spanish failed me.

Logic says:

S=Señoras (Ladies)
M=Minusválidos and minusválidas (male and female handicapped people). Didn't it had a bigger door?
C=Caballeros (Gentlemen)

Why no "H" for "hombré"?

To put H (for hombres, men) and M (for mujeres, women) could be not as clear as it may seem because some people might interpret it as H (for hembras, females) and M (for machos, males).

Logic says:

S=Señoras (Ladies)
M=Minusválidos and minusválidas (male and female handicapped people). Didn't it had a bigger door?
C=Caballeros (Gentlemen)

The luxury of logic may be fine in normal time but I really had to pee! :p

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This one had me really confused.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Of course sometimes you shouldn't be going there at all!

Ohcrap.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Women can sometimes be weird about men using the women's

Not always.

On a boat with my wheelchair bound who needed assistance to move from one seat to the other. There were no larger spaces for those so handicapped and no time to go back to our cabin. And, no, she did not want to enter the men's.

With some trepidation we approached the women's loo and to my surprise we were both waved in with smiles from the women on either side of the entry.

Slightly off topic but related to confusing door signs.

I remember walking along a corridor with a usually very staid colleague who suddenly said, as we passed through a swing door, " You know, I can cope with doors that say 'Push', I can also manage those that say 'Pull', but I really struggle with those that say 'Lift'! ". I didn't know what to reply, he just kept a straight face and carried on walking.

To appreciate that little story you have to know that here in the UK an elevator is known as a Lift.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back