• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do You Ever Get Days...

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Do you ever get days when you simply ache to return? Honestly over the last week or two it feels like I've lost something... there's almost a sadness in the air. I get consumed with planning... checking the calendar to see when I could walk again. Am I alone with this? Has anyone really figured out why? :confused:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well in October this year i finished my "final" camino .......looks like i was wrong , i just don,t know what to do with myself apart from planning another "last " pilgrimage . In some ways it is amusing to me , but in other ways it is becoming almost obsessive and i worry about when it will end .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do you ever get days when you simply ache to return? Honestly over the last week or two it feels like I've lost something... there's almost a sadness in the air. I get consumed with planning... checking the calendar to see when I could walk again. Am I alone with this? Has anyone really figured out why? :confused:

LesBrass:

You are definitely not alone. I am eagerly awaiting the new year so I can walk again.

Many times I feel the same as you have stated but fill that time with the joy of Family, friends other hobbies and particularly my grandchildren. Never a bad day with them.

Ultreya,
Joe

I’m right there with you, It’s like yearning for a home I’ve always had, but not always known. I’ve done just one Camino, but it feels like I’ve walked a million times. It’s the weirdest feeling and there are plenty of days where I get a severe hit of nostalgia, like I’m right back there again, smelling the same smells and hearing the same sounds of magpies and crunching boots on gravel.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sometimes I wish I hadn't chosen my path, for I simply cannot live the way everyone else does. I only feel content when on the road and in the wilds. I think it has something to do with our ancestral routes, us humans have been roaming the earth for a very very long time and only recently compared to 300,000 years plus have we left our natural state of being for the pig pens of urban life. I'll note here that I'm autistic so that plays a big part personally on why I can't live within "normal" society but aside from that I think anyone who walks for weeks on end without having to worry about everyday life stuff starts to awaken something deep inside that would otherwise remain closed to them.

... I think anyone who walks for weeks on end without having to worry about everyday life stuff starts to awaken something deep inside that would otherwise remain closed to them.

NP I think you're right. I also feel that something awoke on my first walk. We've discussed this often whilst walking... I wonder if for me, at this point in my life, maybe I also rediscovered who I used to be... before i was a wife and a mother. But that alone isn't enough of an explanation because I love my life... it's not that I want to be away from home but on the other hand I dream of walking 1000km across Spain.

My husband does walk with me now when he can and he enjoys it but he is not pulled as I am.

Enjoy your walking and thank you for your insight.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes. It seems many have this feeling. There is an auberge close to where I live that actually prepares those that are going to walk for their return and everything that comes with that. Im back for almost 3 months and all I think about is going again. Pretty hard I can tell you.

When I’m home I do dream of long distance walking and I find the urge is somewhat alleviated by getting out and walking! Also by doing other things I love (handwork, growing veges, long sessions of reading) - the very things I miss when walking for weeks on end!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Le meme pour moi.
Why? I have no idea, it is the mystery of the Camino.
Next year I am starting in Le Puy en Velay and walking the GR65, I wonder if I will find myself walking somewhere in Spain before I am finished.
We walked this year. Our 9 year old was planning his next Camino while still walking our first. He wants to walk every ten years until he is 90 - some of those he might cycle..

We (mum and dad) and our 11 year old had good and bad days but was happy to finish and never wanted to look back.

I decided after 2 weeks of returning back that I wanted to walk again.

It took my husband about a month.

The eleven year old - uh uh, no way was he ever walking the camino again - once was enough.... Two months later he said that he could probably do it again (without ANY pressure from us).

Our winter 2019 camino has been planned. I said the other day to the twelve year old (he turned twelve while we were in Melide).. was he really sure he wanted to walk again. When he said yes I said I couldn't believe that he would want to walk again, in harder conditions that before, plus give up Christmas to walk. His response...

Mum, the camino needs no explanation.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
LesBrass:

You are definitely not alone. I am eagerly awaiting the new year so I can walk again.

Many times I feel the same as you have stated but fill that time with the joy of Family, friends other hobbies and particularly my grandchildren. Never a bad day with them.

Ultreya,
Joe
I fill my days with similar things, but have no grandchildren. I absolutely HAVE to research and plan another Camino. Since retirement, I can't imagine the void of no Caminos in my future and hope my good health continues for many more years, yet take it one year at a time. I have other vacations planned, but walking Caminos top my list!

Last edited:

All The Time!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now as I type!!!!!!!

Buen camino.

Had a lot of those day's this year.
Not about the when but more about can I walk again.
The plan for next year is that I go alone to Santiago at the end off May for a few day's and at the end off September early October I walk with Marianne a Camino.??

Wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and all the best for the up coming new year. 🙏😊

ps , like the Candies. ☺

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Trecile, I live on the edge of town near a "rails to trails", which I often walk several miles on. Just last week we had a rather warm 40° day, fog and drizzle. I decided to walk anyway because on the camino "ya never know what weather you're gonna get", I took an umbrella and truly enjoyed the mystic look and solitude. Of course, had there been high wind I probably would not have gone out!
20181220_103241.jpg

That’s why I returned 2 years later and did a different route. Bom Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My friends there is no known cure for this condition, you can only have a few weeks of respite !! And that is when you are again on camino. I have suffered from this condition for several years now and my only relief has been my annual (this year twice) walk on pilgrimage.
b

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I may be the only one here, but no, not really.
I really love it when I am there of course.
But I love it here in 'normal life' too.
Apples and oranges, both good.

That said...while sometimes my life is very full, it is an unconventional life, which feels closer to the being on the Camino than a more conventional life lived marinating in our consumerist culture does. And the people around me are more like peregrinos than not. So I am very fortunate.

But I DO miss the walking, a lot, because I normally cannot do that.
And I miss the sheer variety of good people, from all over and of many different faiths (or none).
And the landscape and history, and the feeling of walking in millions of footsteps on an old sacred way.
:oops:Hmmm...come to think of it...:oops:
Well, maybe just a little.;);)

It's good to know that I'm not alone in this longing. It is a bizarre feeling. I find it hard to explain to friends and family because I have a full and busy life, I love my work and I have the best friends and family... and yet there is this part of me that always longs to leave it all and go walk. As someone says it's like going home? @trecile and @Camino Chris ... misty mornings, chilly clear skies and yes even rain... coupled with maybe a sunrise

I've been looking and planning and trying to figure out when I can take some time... but I know that won't really help because as soon as I finish one walk, I'm thinking when/where next!

All I can really do is console myself by reminding myself what a luxury it is to be able to to this and for that i am truly grateful!

Lesbrass, just read your blog. You live on the camino, put on your boots! ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lesbrass, just read your blog. You live on the camino, put on your boots! ;)

I've been out today... I try to walk 2 or 3 times a week but walking near home for some reason just isn't the same. That's not to say I don't get a little thrill walking to get the bread and seeing a yellow arrow :) But... it's not the same... maybe I should just put my boots on and get my pack and just keep walking... hubby might wonder where the bread is :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've been out today... I try to walk 2 or 3 times a week but walking near home for some reason just isn't the same.
So true! There's no albergue at the end of the day. No bar with tortilla and fresh orange juice. No fellow pilgrims to share even a bad pilgrim dinner with.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My sentiments entirely. It is an addiction at the end of the day, but one I love giving into as often as I can! 2 walks planned next year. Le Puy route for the 3rd time and probably the Franconian Mountain trail on the Czech Border.

I read somewhere ...can't remember in which of the many guides or books I've read in my preparation for walking the camino soon, a quote (and I am shortening the whole quote a bit): " This was an ancient way of life,......you walked in search of food, shelter, slept and started again. When you adapt to the rhythm, many ancient, dead parts in the head return to life".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I met a university prof this year who was looking into how people changed over the course of the camino. Just mailed with him last week and the results will be available in january. Maybe he can give us insight in why this happens. It might be the “surprise” effect of being in a truly different environement. I felt the same comming back from war. I really missed it how strange that might sound. Home felt ackward and thats a serious understatement. I have been strugeling since. To me the camino somehow felt like being back in the army. I know it must sound weird.

I met a university prof this year who was looking into how people changed over the course of the camino. Just mailed with him last week and the results will be available in january. Maybe he can give us insight in why this happens. It might be the “surprise” effect of being in a truly different environement. I felt the same comming back from war. I really missed it how strange that might sound. Home felt ackward and thats a serious understatement. I have been strugeling since. To me the camino somehow felt like being back in the army. I know it must sound weird.

I met three soldiers earlier this year on the CF and they were all walking to try and adjust from leaving the army. One of the three had walked before and had told the others how it had helped him. I only managed to chat with them for one evening in Fronfria ... which is a shame.

It does help. Sadly my camino turned out a little different then what I was hoping for. Thats why I need to go again..... no regrets but its easy to loose focus along the way. All these awesome people, the atmosphere. That was not what I went for or even expected.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'd be interested to know peoples thoughts about whether the magic for them is in the Camino de Santiago itself or just walking and enjoying the exploration. For me I walk along more of the gr routes than the Camino's where its more wild and natural and much prefer this than the main Camino trails.

I walk at home a lot, it gives me time to think and speak to God. I am not a religious man and didnt grow up in christian surroundings. I do so anyway.

Thing is that on these walks I have to find my own answers. On the camino I have met so many great people. More often then not they did have answers I was looking for. So the whole learning proces, by selfreflection, by just letting thoughts flow freely and especially the wise words I was given along the way made my camino experience so special. Im trying to overcome things, I have lots of questions still so its probably not the same for everyone. Then again, most people I met where fighting some demons from the past. That also takes away the barriers I normally have talking about things. At these moments we are the same and we are not being judged like in daily life.

I dont get that experience by just walking in solitude. I wouldnt be so messed up if I had the answers. So for me both are equally important. The walk and the people.

Last edited:
The first time I found out about the Camino was on a cooking show about 3 years ago. In October this year, at our three week mark while on the Camino, Ian said, you are never watching cooking shows again. It took him ten days after arriving home to start planning our next Camino

€46,-
I'd be interested to know peoples thoughts about whether the magic for them is in the Camino de Santiago itself or just walking and enjoying the exploration. For me I walk along more of the gr routes than the Camino's where its more wild and natural and much prefer this than the main Camino trails.

I've walked part of the Rota Vicentina in Portugal and whilst we loved the walk it wasn't the same as walking a Camino (I cant explain why). This year I walked part of the Norte with my husband. We stayed only in hotels and deviated at times to GR paths to stay on the coast.... it was amazing and beautiful but again it didn't feel like a camino. Even walking the litteral coastal path from Porto felt different... and I loved it when we jumped back onto the camino coastal path. I can't explain it but following yellow arrows and finding the albergue at the end of the day, sharing time with others during the day over a coffee or dinner... that's special for me.

I'm torn in making my next choices (2020!) I love walking a new path and seeing things with a fresh eye... not knowing what to expect in the next town of village. But I also love the interaction with other pilgrims. The joy of walking into a strange town and seeing three pilgrims that you know drinking coffee is just wonderful. Talking and listening to others, becoming friends with strangers in just 5 minutes... all this is very much part of the walk for me too and I know if I travel the lesser know paths I will really miss this.

I also think that there is something special about ending in Santiago. I'm actually not a huge fan of the town but I do feel that walking into the square is always journey's end. This year I walked from Burgos on the CF and we walked into the square as the bells rang out for midday... it gives me goosebumps now just thinking about it... it was like they were welcoming us home.

I always felt that I was called to walk the camino... I was not a walker nor am I a girl that likes to rough it in albergues! My 'real' life is so far away from camino it's unreal. And yet I was on holiday and I saw some pilgrims and I knew I had to do the same. At the time I explained it away easily... it was a challenge for me after coming out the other side of cancer... a way of proving I was alive. But now I don't think that... I just know that part of me belongs on a spanish path walking towards Santiago... and I have no idea why... I've stopped asking why. I just try and go whenever I can.

Last edited:
Lou, I know little of this program other than its existence but I think you should check it out.

The Warrior Expeditions starts out on its website ( https://warriorexpeditions.org/ ):

In 1948, Earl Shaffer told a friend he was going to “walk off the war” to work out the sights, sounds, and losses of World War II. Four months later, Earl Shaffer became the first person to hike the entire length of the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine.

Following in Earl Shaffer’s footsteps and in recognizing the therapeutic effects of long distance outdoor expeditions, Warrior Expeditions created the Warrior Hike, Warrior Bike, and Warrior Paddle programs which are designed to help veterans transition from their wartime experiences.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are two places in the world I long for 1. Gimmewald, Switzerland I love it there. 2. Another Camino pilgrimage. We will walk again next October the Portuguese central route we only have a short time. I retire next summer, but my wife will continue working another 18 months. Upon her retirement we are considering going to Jerusalem, then Rome and walking from Rome to Santiago. I will be 71 years old and by the grace of God I will be able to do that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are two places in the world I long for 1. Gimmewald, Switzerland I love it there. 2. Another Camino pilgrimage. We will walk again next October the Portuguese central route we only have a short time. I retire next summer, but my wife will continue working another 18 months. Upon her retirement we are considering going to Jerusalem, then Rome and walking from Rome to Santiago. I will be 71 years old and by the grace of God I will be able to do that.
On a non-Camino note, I remember Gimmelwald well. I was there in 1982. I was supposed to be there a day but ended up staying a week. I never did see the Matterhorn. I wonder how much it has changed in the last 36 years. In 1982 it was like 6 houses on a street winding up the mountain and a small youth hostel.

Only every few years -- and then typically, I just go, if the health is up to it anyway.

My advice to at least try and avoid this sort of melancholy is to try and make sure that you genuinely finish each Camino, which I also advise people to achieve by making their trip home a proper Journey and an intrinsic part of their Camino ; though for some it's more complicated, as they'd possibly need to walk for a longer stretch of time than might practically be available to them, simply to satiate their initial Camino need.

But in a sense, just speaking personally, when the urge starts to come back, I just wait, confident that whatever form that urge may take, some window of opportunity will present itself -- as it did for me just recently this Autumn, in the form of a huge open window of time ahead of me now to do my crazy, crazy there and back again one !!

This is me too. I call it Camino Dreaming and I do it constantly. As to why, I am a dreamer by nature and love the journey as opposed to the destination. It gives me something to work for and to look forward to in my job as well.

You are definitely not alone on this one :)

€46,-
On a non-Camino note, I remember Gimmelwald well. I was there in 1982. I was supposed to be there a day but ended up staying a week. I never did see the Matterhorn. I wonder how much it has changed in the last 36 years. In 1982 it was like 6 houses on a street winding up the mountain and a small youth hostel.
I do not think you would find Gimmelwald the same if you were to go back. Although I've not been to that amazing village, I have seen u-tube videos of it, my first one was in a Rick Steves travel video. Well, you know what's happened to the Cinqua Terre in Italy after he made the region known to the masses. I'll assume the same has most likely happened with this other little lesser known jewel of past decades.

My understanding is several farm houses rent rooms as B&B's and the hostel is still there and the 8 room hotel. We also went for 1 overnight and ended up staying several days.
That when is lovely Lena ran the hostel, that her grandfather built. She told stories of housing Jewish refugees running from the Nazi's.

I do not think you would find Gimmelwald the same if you were to go back. Although I've not been to that amazing village, I have seen u-tube videos of it, my first one was in a Rick Steves travel video. Well, you know what's happened to the Cinqua Terre in Italy after he made the region known to the masses. I'll assume the same has most likely happened with this other little lesser known jewel of past decades.
Actually Gimmewald is a village protected by the Swiss government. They are trying to beep as historically like it was before 'Rick Steves' entered the picture.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually Gimmewald is a village protected by the Swiss government. They are trying to beep as historically like it was before 'Rick Steves' entered the picture.
Nice to hear that. Too bad Italy didn't have the same forethought in protecting the Cinque Terre.

@Caminolou ... I had a little stroll today. A varient of the Vezeley runs over the hills to the right :) I feel revitalised now as our Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo camino is much more a reality... I feel I'm in training now :) Happy Feast of Saint Stephen's day one and all!15458453063250.jpg

Only every day. And that's after 6 walks. I had only been home maybe two and half weeks when the plotting and planning for number 7 began followed by 8 and 9!! Number 7 is Fatima to Porto, then Porto to Santiago...and then Canterbury to Rome. I excuse myself to family by adding that I'm serving as an Hospitalera for two weeks, and it would be a waste of time and effort not to walk while I'm there! It's being economical!! HA!! Nah, no problem with Camino Blues here :eek:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Caminolou ... I had a little stroll today. A varient of the Vezeley runs over the hills to the right :) I feel revitalised now as our Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo camino is much more a reality... I feel I'm in training now :) Happy Feast of Saint Stephen's day one and all!View attachment 50175
WoW, its so beautifull! Nice to hear you are feeling at least a bit back on track! Have a wonderfull time this xmas, celebrate new year if it was your last and maybe see you on the camino next year! Buen camino! ❤️

@Caminolou ... I had a little stroll today. A varient of the Vezeley runs over the hills to the right :) I feel revitalised now as our Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo camino is much more a reality... I feel I'm in training now :) Happy Feast of Saint Stephen's day one and all!View attachment 50175
Beautiful photo and such great lighting!

I enjoy passing the time now watching as many camino vlogs as I can get my hands on. There are many good ones and several threads here on the forum you can use to find them. It makes me want to go back but at the same time scratches a small itch.

I got a call from the Dutch st James organisation today, they had a drop out so I will be hosting peregrinos in the monestary end of july (untill the 26th). Im really happy :) Even better, that gives me 4 days to get to Grado where I am also volunteering the first 2 weeks of August. The dates couldnt be better! And I get to meet an old friend in Barcelona as I will take the camino catalan to logrono first and catch some transport to roncesvalles. So the first 800km are set. Next week I will get to hear if I can join veterans on the camino, thats another 1000k’s. Some serious therapy ahead!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.