Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Dogs on the Vezelay Route/ female walking alone

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
Hi, I have just completed the Le Puy route and walked the Camino Frances a couple of years ago. I am not brave when it comes to dogs and I wonder whether dogs are likely to be intimidating on the Vezelay route or are they fenced in or tied up? I found the dog scene near Ostabat a bit stressful. They were often not fenced and shot out of open gates barking and in one instance gnashing teeth. The rest of the route was no problem at all and Spain was no problem at all. Would really welcome comments, as I am considering walking the Vezelay route next. Also what is it likely to be like for a female on her own. I have found my other two walks perfectly fine by myself, but there were quite a few other pilgrims around. Thanks Gitti

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

giorgio

CF(2000), Puy (03), VDLP(04), Arles(05), Paris/London(06), Norte(07),Vezelay(09), Levante(10),Madrid(13),CF(15),CF(16)
Me and wife Elisa have been walking the Vezelay route last May. Don't recall dogs on their own, so don't think you should worry about this. Not very many pilgrims around ( at that time we recall having read on albergue books a total of 370 during first five months of 2009) but we believe safety is not an issue. There are stretches in open countriside and some long stretches in forests but you often cross very tiny little villages and hamlets. You can find on the forum some post from an Australian lady ( jl )who did the whole stretch Vezelay-Santiago and she did enjoy it very much . Some basic french would help in calling ahead where needed.
Let me know if i can help on some other thinghs
Giorgio

gittiharre

Veteran Member
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
Thank you Giorgio, very helpful, Gitti

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings