A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Dogs

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
april '2018'
Does anyone have photos of people walking with dogs? I mentioned that I saw a couple of dogs carrying their own food etc and my lovely mum wants me to prove it!

Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes/Burgos/SdeC (train) 1977; CF 12,15,17; Finisterre 17; Lourdes/Aragones 18; Meseta again 2019
Last edited:

Phil Smith

Camino(s) past & future
July/ Aug (2016): StJPdP to Viana
Apr (2017): Viana to Castrojeriz
Apr (2018): Castrojeriz to Leon
This poor pooch had damaged paws. His owner constructed this contraption to ease his pain. If you build it ... !

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016, Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre and Muxia 2017, Camino Aragones 2018
In April 2016 I kept hearing about the "puppy man". He was Spanish and walking with his dog. Somewhere in the vacinity of Pamplona he had rescued a young puppy from a cold river. He told us that he was unsure that the puppy would survive, it was unconcious for 16 hours while he carried it next to his body. Finally it woke up very hungry and when we met was doing well. The man, his dog Arco and Iris the puppy camped out each night. The man's pack was extra large for all the dog food that he had to carry. Arco iris is a rainbow.IMG_0630 2.jpeg

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo
The collapsed dog looks to be carrying more than 10% of his body weight.
Oh, let me put your minds at rest! Both dogs were rescue dogs and very fit and healthy. They were walking in the opposite direction, and the one dog took a rest while we stopped and talked. He jumped up and merrily continued on his way when we parted. The packs look big, but they weren’t heavy. Believe me, we checked!

Pipmahoe

Camino(s) past & future
Frances June 2018
Coastal/Central Portuguese April 2019
Does anyone have photos of people walking with dogs? I mentioned that I saw a couple of dogs carrying their own food etc and my lovely mum wants me to prove it!
Hello Andy,

My son and I walked the Camino Frances June/July 2018, we met a lovely lady with her dog walking walking the same way as us. 👣 🐕 🌝

Attachments

Cayou

Camino(s) past & future
2015 Villafranca to Santiago
2016 St Jean to Los Arcos
2018 24-Sept Leon to Finnisterre
IMG_7533.jpeg Note rear right foot bandage ... they can get the hurts, too! In late Sept, after Astorga

SeaHorse

Camino(s) past & future
(May-June 2015)
Saw some pilgrim dogs but they were smaller size and didn't carry anything. Were running around being dogs, thats all. But I did see a dog that was riding a donkey.

camino07

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18Norte
I saw that last year. Donkey pulling half a car as well.

Lisa HS

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (SJPdP - Santiago) Spring (2016)
Portuguese (Porto - Santiago - Finisterre) Spring (2018)
In April 2016 I kept hearing about the "puppy man". He was Spanish and walking with his dog. Somewhere in the vacinity of Pamplona he had rescued a young puppy from a cold river. He told us that he was unsure that the puppy would survive, it was unconcious for 16 hours while he carried it next to his body. Finally it woke up very hungry and when we met was doing well. The man, his dog Arco and Iris the puppy camped out each night. The man's pack was extra large for all the dog food that he had to carry. Arco iris is a rainbow.View attachment 50597
We met that exact guy one rainy day on the Meseta in early May 2016! Same two doggos, same story. The puppy was very busy playing "ambush" with the older dog, who was valiantly attempting to sleep (and being extremely tolerant). We gave him some extra food we had, for which he was grateful.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016, Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre and Muxia 2017, Camino Aragones 2018
Thank you @Lisa HS , for further news of The "Puppy Man" (I do not know his real name) and his much loved dogs Arco and Iris. We met them in Tosantos.

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo
I mentioned that I saw a couple of dogs carrying their own food etc and my lovely mum wants me to prove it!
Please give us some feedback :D. What did your lovely mum think of the above photos???? :p:D

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
april '2018'
She was most impressed... Apparently I'm to take her dog on the next camino...
This will never happen!

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 133 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 205 24.0%